A Cappella Part 89 - Pala

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 02:47 AM

Jarran sat up and stretched. After he and Jaheira had returned to the Rom tent the evening before, soaking wet and exhausted by the emotional toll of their words, Kveroslava had insisted that the party stay with them for the night. The bard looked around and saw that while most of his friends were just barely awake, the tent was bustling with activity. Their hosts were busy packing away possessions and cooking breakfast.

A small boy noticed Jarran and sat down next to him with a careless plop. “Hi,” the child said cheerfully.

“Hello yourself, Rinin.”

“Mama said that you made me all better, so now we can leave and join our band.”

“Well, I didn't heal you, but some of my friends did. I am happy to see that you are feeling well.”

“I sure am.”

“Rinin, what did the man who hurt you look like? Can you tell me anything about him?”

“He was skinny, with red hair and blotchy freckles. I had seen him before, hanging around the tents. He likes to brag about the monsters he's killed, but he doesn't look like an adventurer. That's why I laughed.”

“If we find him, we'll make sure he doesn't hurt any more little boys. I promise.”

“Rinin, you should be eating your breakfast,” Kveroslava said with a smile.

“Yes, Mama.”

As Jarran began stowing away his bedroll, the woman said quietly, “You have our deepest gratitude, my friend. If you ever need the aid of any Rom, tell them that you are te'sorthene, a friend who dwells in our hearts. And here is a small gift for you.” She pressed two bags into his hands.

Jarran saw that one contained a red powder, and the other contained seeds. “Are these what I think they are?”

“Very few who are not of our people have a true appreciation for ardei. I am sorry that I cannot teach you how to cook our dishes, but I am sure that you will discover many ways to use it. The seeds are for the day when the road no longer calls to you.”

“Thank you, Kveroslava. I'm touched.”

“Shesti, you helped save our son's life. And I know that you have a hard path to walk, my friend. A little ardei will make the journey easier.”

Jarran smiled as he packed away the spice and seeds, and relaxed with a bowl of what Rinin called mamaliga, a sort of cornmeal porridge. Sometimes the littlest things brought the greatest joy.

Jaheira sat down at his side with her own bowl of porridge. Jarran glanced at her nervously, unsure of what to say.

She saw his uncertain expression, and faintly smiled. “You needn't worry. I am in less of a mood now.”

“I just wasn't sure….”

“I am sorry for my words last night. It was cruel.” Jaheira sighed. “Such trouble I have been. Simple feelings made more difficult by the strangest things. I hope I have not harmed your view of me.”

“I can't really blame you for getting upset. Nothing in my life seems to follow a normal path, so why should our relationship? But in spite of all that has happened, I would not trade your company for anything.”

“I am relieved that you feel that way. I had worried that I had ruined what we… what we have built together. You have been the rock that I could cling to in the swift currents that have nearly overwhelmed me. Know that I care for you, even if I do not show it well. If this meant nothing it would have been easy to deal with.”

Jarran smiled and said, “Does this mean you are going to stop watching to see if I turn into a demon?”

“Ah, no matter how serious I try to be, you always find a way to make me laugh. I… I need to laugh more.”

When the group was finally ready to leave, they wished their hosts a safe journey and set off for the city gates. The guards watched their approach with stony glares. One of them barked, “Halt, strangers. What business do you have here?”

Mazzy stepped forward. “Surely you recognize me, Toran?”

“Mazzy! Sorry for the rough tone, but people are a bit wary of strangers these days. I'd advise your friends here not to draw attention to themselves.” He signaled the other guards to open the gates.

They followed Mazzy to a comfortable-looking home. As they entered, a halfling woman with a dignified bearing came out of a room to greet them. “Mazzy, I am so happy to see you!” The mother and daughter embraced.

“Mother, how is Pala?”

“She is very ill, I'm afraid. She lies in bed, not waking, not making a sound… she is wasting away.”

“How did this happen? Danno said something about a love potion, but why would he use such a thing when they are betrothed?”

Her mother sighed. “They had an argument over some trivial nonsense that is only important to the young. Pala would not speak to him, and Danno became convinced that she no longer loved him. He bought a potion from that gnome peddler, Wallace, hoping to win Pala back. She had already forgiven him when he convinced her to try what he called an interesting new wine. She became unconscious as soon as she took a drink.”

“I find this very puzzling. Wallace is reputed to occasionally be involved in shady dealings, but poison? And what sort of substance could it be that Shallira could not cure it?”

“Shallira is not in the city. She has gone to attend to the needs of some of the smaller halfling settlements.”

“Then if Mother Yondalla's shrine is unattended, why did you not go to the Waukeenar?” Seeing her mother's uncomfortable expression, Mazzy's mouth set into a thin line. “Mother, have you been arguing with Overgold Renwellyn again?”

“Now Mazzy, if Pala had grown worse I would have called him. But I was hoping that with your help I would not have to.”

“Really, you and your feuds. Still, I am glad to know that you would have eventually swallowed your pride.”

“You know that I would not have risked Pala, even if I had to beg that stuffy old goat on bended knees. But you know how angry I get when he claims that building a true temple to our gods would take too much space away from the merchants.” The older halfling turned and stared at Mazzy's companions with a frown, seeming to suddenly realize that they were strangers. “My daughter, where is Patrick? Surely you have not parted from him?”

“I… I am afraid that death has parted us, Mother.” The two women embraced again, their silence speaking louder than any words of grief could. Mazzy's face was grim as she turned back to the group. “Anomen, Jaheira, could you please see if there is anything that you can do for Pala?”

The priest and the druid followed Mazzy's mother into a bedchamber. After a time they returned, their expressions unhappy. Jaheira said quietly, “It is no ordinary venom, I am afraid. It was created magically. Our best hope is to find the source and pray that they have an antidote.”

The skald swore. “Just once I'd like to come across a perfectly normal problem that can be solved in an ordinary way. Let's go track down this Wallace person.”

Jarran and the others followed Mazzy, who knew exactly where the gnome conducted his business. They approached the peddler in the city marketplace. He was sitting dejectedly in front of a stall full of goods that none seemed interested in buying. He leapt to his feet, a hopeful gleam in his eye, as the group approached.

“Say there, you look like the sort who would appreciate my fine goods. Let me show you….”

“Wallace!” Mazzy barked. “I am not interested in your baubles and trifles. I am only interested in the potion you sold to Danno.”

“Danno? Oh, yes, I remember that.”

“Then you do not deny that he bought a love potion from you?”

“Well,” he said thoughtfully as he scratched the back of his neck, “it wasn't precisely a love potion.”

“So! You confess your crime!” Mazzy stalked towards him, backing the unnerved peddler into his goods. A tray of cheap jewelry fell to the stone street with a clatter.

“Crime? I didn't defraud Danno, I told him what he was buying!”

Mazzy stopped, open-mouthed with astonishment. Finally she gasped, “Danno knew that you were selling him poison?”

It was the gnome's turn to be shocked. “Poison! Who said anything about poison? I just sold him a weak charming potion.”

“Charming potion?”

“I always tell these youngsters that come to me that it isn't a real love potion. It will just get the other person in a friendly frame of mind so they won't get their faces laughed in. They never listen to me, though, they always insist I sell love potions. But I've never trafficked in poison, Mazzy. I thought you knew me better than that.”

“I thought so as well, but there is no denying that Pala fell ill the moment she drank your so-called potion.”

“But I bought it from a priest of Waukeen! Barl is new here in the city, but I had no reason to suspect he couldn't brew a simple potion properly. I'm so sorry, Mazzy.”

“For your sake I hope that this Barl has some way to undo his damage, otherwise I will see that you are held responsible for selling dangerous goods. Come, my friends, let us find this priest.”

As they went to the temple, Jarran said soothingly, “I am sure Barl can help your sister.”

“I hope so. Pala does not deserve… she is the quiet one, the sweet one. The one my mother understands.”

“Your mother?”

“Mother loves me dearly, as I do her, but she has never understood my calling. Pala and Danno will settle down peacefully and present her with grandchildren, while I bring her nothing but worry. With Patrick gone, I know that she renew her pleas for me to return to Trademeet. She believes that if I must serve Arvoreen, it should be as a priestess, not as a warrior.”

“It would be hard for any parent to see their child in danger.”

“And it makes it especially difficult to see Pala in such dire straits, for she has never courted the same risks that I have.”

They entered the temple dedicated to Waukeen, and found Overgold Renwellyn in the main chamber. Mazzy approached him, saying politely, “Overgold, a moment of your time if you please.”

The priest gave her a rather rigid smile. “Ah, Goodlady Fentan, how is your mother?”

“I am not here regarding any matter of local politics, Renwellyn. I am here because my sister lies near death, and it is the fault of one of your priests.”

“What? How is this possible?”

“Wallace the peddler told us that he purchases a potion from Barl, and that same potion has poisoned Pala. Either he is incompetent… or he intended to inflict harm upon an innocent.”

“Barl is a terrible acolyte, I admit. But I shouldn't think him to be evil. Still, this is a most serious charge. I will see if he is in his chamber.” The cleric disappeared through a door at the rear of the room. The party stood waiting, idly examining the gaudy décor of the temple, until they heard a piercing scream.

Their indolence instantly cast aside, the group charged through the door in search of the source of the agonized howls they heard. As they ran down a hallway, they saw a young man dash out of a room. He snarled when he saw them, and his hands moved in the gestures of a spellcaster. Two arrows whistled through the air and struck the young man in the chest. He staggered back a few steps, then fell to the floor.

As they approached, the injured man gasped out, “For Mistress Talona… may her black glory….” His eyes slowly lost focus, and a thin line of blood trickled from the corner of his mouth.

They went past the corpse into the room that he had vacated so hastily. Overgold Renwellyn was curled up in a ball on the floor, moaning in pain. His face and hands were a red mass of blood and seared flesh, and his robes were smoldering in spots. A shattered bottle lay on the floor, a wisp of smoke drifting from the pile of shards.

Anomen swore. “Jarran, we need water, and a great deal of it. We must wash away whatever has burned him before he can be healed.”

As the others emptied their canteens on Renwellyn, Jarran conducted a quick search of the temple. He found a decorative fountain, and ran back. They gently carried the injured cleric to the water and washed away the foul liquid. As soon as they were sure they had done the best they could to clean the wounds, Anomen and Jaheira worked to heal the priest.

Even though his burns were gone, Renwellyn was obviously shaken. “I… I entered Barl's chamber while he was making his supposed potions. The things I saw… no priest of Waukeen would be using such unclean substances! I demanded to know what business he had having those items in his room and he flung something in my face.”

Jaheira said slowly, “He mentioned Talona as he died.”

Valygar nodded. “And this was in his room.” He held up a medallion with the symbol of a purple triangle marked with three golden teardrops.

Renwellyn groaned. “The symbol of the Mistress of Poison. Barl must have secretly been a priest of Talona.” His face twisted as he stammered, “My Golden Lady, how could I not have known… why did I…” His expression was one of haunted confusion. “I have refused to believe that she was dead, but there are times I cannot help but fear that my goddess is lost, for surely she would have warned me of the viper in our midst.”

Anomen said in a soft voice, “I have heard that Llira…”

“Yes, yes, many of my brethren have accepted her rule of our church, and even gone so far as to no longer call themselves priests of Waukeen. But I will not deny my faith.”

Mazzy said, “You have my sympathy, Overgold, but uncovering a heretic has done nothing to restore my sister to health.”

The man seemed to draw strength from her use of his title. “Let us search his room, and see if we can find anything to aid Pala.”

They carefully went through his possessions. Jan held up a book with a triumphant cry. “Ha! I knew it. Anyone brewing poison would be a fool not to have an antidote handy in case he had an accident. Here's the book with all his recipes.”

By using the journal, they quickly identified a vial that they believed held the cure for Pala's condition. After they returned to the Fentan home and gave Mazzy's sister the antidote, Pala started to breath more easily, and the color returned to her cheeks. She sighed, and seemed to settle into a normal sleep.

Mazzy looked relieved. “It appears to be working. If all goes well, I shall be ready to leave when Pala awakens again. I shall understand, however, if you cannot wait.”

Jarran said with a smile, “Of course we can wait. We will spend the night at the tavern, and you can have some time alone with your family.”

The halfling placed her hand on his arm and said gravely, “You have my gratitude for helping my sister. In return for your assistance, I will not rest until your own sister has been freed. This I swear by Arvoreen.”

#2 Guest_Winter_Bloom_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 03:01 AM

> As Jarran began stowing away his bedroll, the woman said quietly, “You

> have our deepest gratitude, my friend. If you ever need the aid of any

> Rom, tell them that you are te'sorthene, a friend who dwells in our

> hearts. And here is a small gift for you.” She pressed two bags into his

> hands.

> Jarran saw that one contained a red powder, and the other contained seeds.

> “Are these what I think they are?”

> “Very few who are not of our people have a true appreciation for ardei. I

> am sorry that I cannot teach you how to cook our dishes, but I am sure

> that you will discover many ways to use it. The seeds are for the day when

> the road no longer calls to you.”

Hmm, so what kind of seeds are those? Wheat perhaps?

> “I am sorry for my words last night. It was cruel.” Jaheira sighed. “Such

> trouble I have been. Simple feelings made more difficult by the strangest

> things. I hope I have not harmed your view of me.”

> “I can't really blame you for getting upset. Nothing in my life seems to

> follow a normal path, so why should our relationship? But in spite of all

> that has happened, I would not trade your company for anything.”

> “I am relieved that you feel that way. I had worried that I had ruined

> what we… what we have built together. You have been the rock that I could

> cling to in the swift currents that have nearly overwhelmed me. Know that

> I care for you, even if I do not show it well. If this meant nothing it

> would have been easy to deal with.”

Aww...

> The priest and the druid followed Mazzy's mother into a bedchamber. After

> a time they returned, their expressions unhappy. Jaheira said quietly, “It

> is no ordinary venom, I am afraid. It was created magically. Our best hope

> is to find the source and pray that they have an antidote.”

> The skald swore. “Just once I'd like to come across a perfectly normal

> problem that can be solved in an ordinary way. Let's go track down this

> Wallace person.”

Andaire: Isn't that the truth bro?

> “Barl is a terrible acolyte, I admit. But I shouldn't think him to be

> evil. Still, this is a most serious charge. I will see if he is in his

> chamber.” The cleric disappeared through a door at the rear of the room.

> The party stood waiting, idly examining the gaudy décor of the temple,

> until they heard a piercing scream.

Uh-oh...

> Their indolence instantly cast aside, the group charged through the door

> in search of the source of the agonized howls they heard. As they ran down

> a hallway, they saw a young man dash out of a room. He snarled when he saw

> them, and his hands moved in the gestures of a spellcaster. Two arrows

> whistled through the air and struck the young man in the chest. He

> staggered back a few steps, then fell to the floor.

> As they approached, the injured man gasped out, “For Mistress Talona… may

> her black glory….” His eyes slowly lost focus, and a thin line of blood

> trickled from the corner of his mouth.

Bye-bye poisoner.

> They carefully went through his possessions. Jan held up a book with a

> triumphant cry. “Ha! I knew it. Anyone brewing poison would be a fool not

> to have an antidote handy in case he had an accident. Here's the book with

> all his recipes.”

That's a good point.

> The halfling placed her hand on his arm and said gravely, “You have my

> gratitude for helping my sister. In return for your assistance, I will not

> rest until your own sister has been freed. This I swear by Arvoreen.”

And Mazzy once again proves her loyalty. :)

#3 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 03:13 AM

> Hmm, so what kind of seeds are those? Wheat perhaps?

Paprika. Ardei is the Romanian word for paprika, which is gardening-wise a hot pepper. I've grown Hungarian paprika in my garden. You just dry the ripe peppers, then grind them into a powder. Paprika is heavily used in Romani cooking, so it seemed fitting. Like she said, the seeds are for when he can settle down and have his own garden to grow them in.

> Aww...

*grin* Awws are always nice.

> Andaire: Isn't that the truth bro?

Wouldn't it be so much easier if things like Neutralize Poison, Remove Curse, etc. actually *worked*?

> Uh-oh...

Not good.

> Bye-bye poisoner.

Parting is such sweet sorrow.

> That's a good point.

Hehe, we have rattlesnake ranches around here, and you better believe they keep anti-venom around. It just makes sense.

> And Mazzy once again proves her loyalty. :)

That's Mazzy for you. She never forgets that sort of thing.

#4 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 03:24 AM

> “If we find him, we'll make sure he doesn't hurt any more little boys. I

> promise.”

*growl* Good.

> They went past the corpse into the room that he had vacated so hastily.

> Overgold Renwellyn was curled up in a ball on the floor, moaning in pain.

> His face and hands were a red mass of blood and seared flesh, and his

> robes were smoldering in spots. A shattered bottle lay on the floor, a

> wisp of smoke drifting from the pile of shards.

Nasty.

Emotionally engaging chapter.

#5 Arcalian

Posted 01 April 2002 - 03:33 AM

And so Mazzy's party membership is cemented. Well done.

Adrian
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#6 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 03:33 AM

> *growl* Good.

A pity Minsc isn't here to apply the bootprint of goodness.

> Nasty.

Very. I pictured it as a medium strength acid like hydrochloric. Something like nitric acid would have killed him before they could wash him off - it's been known to burn all the way to the bone. I once got splashed with nitric acid. It was a tiny burn, only about the size of the head of a pin, but it hurt for days.

> Emotionally engaging chapter.

Thanks!

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 03:34 AM

> And so Mazzy's party membership is cemented. Well done.

Thanks. I've gotten rather fond of her. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

#8 Requiem

Posted 01 April 2002 - 03:35 AM

> promise.”

You do that!!

> > “Very few who are not of our people have a true appreciation for ardei. I

Now I'm curious...

> Jarran smiled and said, “Does this mean you are going to stop watching to

> see if I turn into a demon?”

Heh...little do they know...

Ah Mazzy. You go girl. :)

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 03:52 AM

> You do that!!

*grin*

> Now I'm curious...

Ardei is paprika. The seeds are so that he can grow his own after the bag she gave him runs out.

> Heh...little do they know...

And a good thing they don't! They might be afraid to ever go to Spellhold.

> Ah Mazzy. You go girl. :)

Hehe, I rather like her too. And she is a halfling of her word.

#10 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 10:34 AM

Big Awwww!

So are you going to write the Viekang meeting?

-Hyper. Who am I? I thought I knew but now I feel like someone different!

#11 Laufey

Posted 01 April 2002 - 11:26 AM

> “Rinin, what did the man who hurt you look like? Can you tell me anything

> about him?”

> “He was skinny, with red hair and blotchy freckles. I had seen him before,

> hanging around the tents. He likes to brag about the monsters he's killed,

> but he doesn't look like an adventurer. That's why I laughed.”

I *really* wish I could figure out who this is...

> “Ah, no matter how serious I try to be, you always find a way to make me

> laugh. I… I need to laugh more.”

AWWWW! :)

> The skald swore. “Just once I'd like to come across a perfectly normal

> problem that can be solved in an ordinary way.

Don't we all agree...

> Renwellyn groaned. “The symbol of the Mistress of Poison. Barl must have

> secretly been a priest of Talona.” His face twisted as he stammered, “My

> Golden Lady, how could I not have known… why did I…” His expression was

> one of haunted confusion. “I have refused to believe that she was dead,

> but there are times I cannot help but fear that my goddess is lost, for

> surely she would have warned me of the viper in our midst.”

> Anomen said in a soft voice, “I have heard that Llira…”

> “Yes, yes, many of my brethren have accepted her rule of our church, and

> even gone so far as to no longer call themselves priests of Waukeen. But I

> will not deny my faith.”

Poor man. I feel really sorry for him.

And is seems like it will soon be time to go after her...

In The Cards
Rogues do it from behind.

#12 Weyoun

Posted 01 April 2002 - 12:09 PM

> “Well, I didn't heal you, but some of my friends did. I am happy to see

> that you are feeling well.”

> “I sure am.”

Me too... Awwwww....

> promise.”

Break every bone in his body, Jarran!

Yum!

Nope. :)

> Mazzy stepped forward. “Surely you recognize me, Toran?”

> “Mazzy! Sorry for the rough tone, but people are a bit wary of strangers

> these days. I'd advise your friends here not to draw attention to

> themselves.” He signaled the other guards to open the gates.

Well, that's a comforting thought...

> “Say there, you look like the sort who would appreciate my fine goods. Let

> me show you….”

Salespitch, no doubt. I don't think Jarran would have very much need of love-potions with Jaheira near... :)

> As they went to the temple, Jarran said soothingly, “I am sure Barl can

> help your sister.”

> “I hope so. Pala does not deserve… she is the quiet one, the sweet one.

> The one my mother understands.”

> “Your mother?”

> “Mother loves me dearly, as I do her, but she has never understood my

> calling. Pala and Danno will settle down peacefully and present her with

> grandchildren, while I bring her nothing but worry. With Patrick gone, I

> know that she renew her pleas for me to return to Trademeet. She believes

> that if I must serve Arvoreen, it should be as a priestess, not as a

> warrior.”

And stay in the burrow more, no doubt...

> “It would be hard for any parent to see their child in danger.”

Karis : Sometimes mothers can be a bit overzealous... I caught Viconia checking Vierna's stuffed animals for sharp edges last morning...

Viconia : Well, I had to know for certain! *glares*

> They went past the corpse into the room that he had vacated so hastily.

> Overgold Renwellyn was curled up in a ball on the floor, moaning in pain.

> His face and hands were a red mass of blood and seared flesh, and his

> robes were smoldering in spots. A shattered bottle lay on the floor, a

> wisp of smoke drifting from the pile of shards.

> Anomen swore. “Jarran, we need water, and a great deal of it. We must wash

> away whatever has burned him before he can be healed.”

Yikes. That's come nasty Mojo Barl used...

> Valygar nodded. “And this was in his room.” He held up a medallion with

> the symbol of a purple triangle marked with three golden teardrops.

> Golden Lady, how could I not have known… why did I…” His expression was

> one of haunted confusion. “I have refused to believe that she was dead,

> but there are times I cannot help but fear that my goddess is lost, for

> surely she would have warned me of the viper in our midst.”

Wow... Considering the philosophical distance between Waukeen and Talona, Barl must have been a very good actor...

> all his recipes.”

Well, I guess Barl's faith in Talona was not as strong if he had antidotes handy... :)

> By using the journal, they quickly identified a vial that they believed

> held the cure for Pala's condition. After they returned to the Fentan home

> and gave Mazzy's sister the antidote, Pala started to breath more easily,

> and the color returned to her cheeks. She sighed, and seemed to settle

> into a normal sleep.

'Breathe'... And a happy ending here! ;)

> Mazzy looked relieved. “It appears to be working. If all goes well, I

> shall be ready to leave when Pala awakens again. I shall understand,

> however, if you cannot wait.”

> Jarran said with a smile, “Of course we can wait. We will spend the night

> at the tavern, and you can have some time alone with your family.”

Ah, I take it Mazzy will stay in the group for a long time, then? :)

Great story,

---Weyoun

Oh, and thanks for the cool ideas!

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#13 Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 12:52 PM

That's the twit who stole the hoard of a dragon who died from old age (IIRC), right? The one who's monopolizing the hookers because no one else listens to him?

> “If we find him, we'll make sure he doesn't hurt any more little boys. I promise.”

Go for it!

> “Very few who are not of our people have a true appreciation for ardei.

A shame. I love the taste of that stuff, myself.

> Jarran smiled and said, “Does this mean you are going to stop watching to see

> if I turn into a demon?”

*whacks Jarran on the head*

Don't jinx it, boy. That'll happen soon enough.

> Her mother sighed. “They had an argument over some trivial nonsense that is

> only important to the young. Pala would not speak to him, and Danno became

> convinced that she no longer loved him. He bought a potion from that gnome

> peddler, Wallace, hoping to win Pala back.

*mutters something incomprehensible but clearly non-flattering*

> “Then if Mother Yondalla's shrine is unattended, why did you not go to the

> Waukeenar?” Seeing her mother's uncomfortable expression, Mazzy's mouth set

> into a thin line. “Mother, have you been arguing with Overgold Renwellyn again?”

This is another example of how you inject life into these stories. Just a few sentences, but they can make a real difference.

> But you know how angry I get when he claims that building a true temple to

> our gods would take too much space away from the merchants.”

*resumes muttering darkly*

> The skald swore. “Just once I'd like to come across a perfectly normal problem

> that can be solved in an ordinary way.

I second that.

> “Mother loves me dearly, as I do her, but she has never understood my calling.

Mazzy is not what you'd call a typical halfling, is she? Her mother's reaction to that is another of those nice details.

> With Patrick gone, I know that she renew her pleas for me to return to Trademeet.

Will renew?

> Their indolence instantly cast aside, the group charged through the door in

> search of the source of the agonized howls they heard.

Uh-oh.

> Overgold Renwellyn was curled up in a ball on the floor, moaning in pain. His

> face and hands were a red mass of blood and seared flesh, and his robes were

> smoldering in spots.

*hisses* This is sick. I only hope the acid or whatever this is didn't get in his eyes.

> Golden Lady, how could I not have known… why did I…” His expression was one

> of haunted confusion. “I have refused to believe that she was dead, but there

> are times I cannot help but fear that my goddess is lost, for surely she

> would have warned me of the viper in our midst.”

Poor guy. :) Hmm, isn't there an old high-level adventure with the goal to help Waukeen regain her former status?

> After they returned to the Fentan home and gave Mazzy's sister the antidote,

> Pala started to breath more easily,

breathe

> The halfling placed her hand on his arm and said gravely, “You have my gratitude

> for helping my sister. In return for your assistance, I will not rest until

> your own sister has been freed. This I swear by Arvoreen.”

Aww. Well said, Mazzy! :)

#14 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 01:08 PM

> Jarran smiled as he packed away the spice and seeds, and relaxed with a

> bowl of what Rinin called mamaliga, a sort of cornmeal porridge. Sometimes

> the littlest things brought the greatest joy.

I knew you would have Jarran feel this way. The simplest little acts of kindness and thankfulness are truly the most treasured:)

> “I can't really blame you for getting upset. Nothing in my life seems to

> follow a normal path, so why should our relationship? But in spite of all

> that has happened, I would not trade your company for anything.”

Awwwwwww...this was so sweet:)

I liked the way Jaheira responded here.:) I think both Jarran and Jaheira's relationship could only grow stronger with this kind of foundation.

I think so too!

> “You know that I would not have risked Pala, even if I had to beg that

> stuffy old goat on bended knees. But you know how angry I get when he

> claims that building a true temple to our gods would take too much space

> away from the merchants.” The older halfling turned and stared at Mazzy's

> companions with a frown, seeming to suddenly realize that they were

> strangers. “My daughter, where is Patrick? Surely you have not parted from

> him?”

> “I… I am afraid that death has parted us, Mother.” The two women embraced

> again, their silence speaking louder than any words of grief could.

> Mazzy's face was grim as she turned back to the group. “Anomen, Jaheira,

> could you please see if there is anything that you can do for Pala?”

Everytime Patrick is mentioned I get all choked up. *Sobs*

> “I hope so. Pala does not deserve… she is the quiet one, the sweet one.

> The one my mother understands.”

> “Your mother?”

> “Mother loves me dearly, as I do her, but she has never understood my

> calling. Pala and Danno will settle down peacefully and present her with

> grandchildren, while I bring her nothing but worry. With Patrick gone, I

> know that she renew her pleas for me to return to Trademeet. She believes

> that if I must serve Arvoreen, it should be as a priestess, not as a

> warrior.”

> “It would be hard for any parent to see their child in danger.”

I really admire Mazzy for having the strength to take the path in life that she feels is best for herself. Her mother will never stop worrying about her, but she will realize that it makes Mazzy what she is, and that will be comforting in a way to her:)

Good descriptive scene!

> all his recipes.”

Hey, Jan saves the day! *happy sigh*

> By using the journal, they quickly identified a vial that they believed

> held the cure for Pala's condition. After they returned to the Fentan home

> and gave Mazzy's sister the antidote, Pala started to breath more easily,

> and the color returned to her cheeks. She sighed, and seemed to settle

> into a normal sleep.

I'm so "HAPPY" Pala is going to be alright! Danno will be so relieved too and very grateful:)

> Jarran said with a smile, “Of course we can wait. We will spend the night

> at the tavern, and you can have some time alone with your family.”

Jarran always knows just the right things to say!

This chapter was truly worth waiting for.:)I thank you for that:) I really liked it.:)

Kara

#15 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 02:23 PM

> Big A w w w w !

*grin* Awws are good.

>So are you going to write the Viekang meeting?

Very possibly. I really felt sorry for him in TOB.

#16 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 02:28 PM

> I *really* wish I could figure out who this is...

Don't worry, he'll make an appearance in the next chapter.

> AWWWW! ;)

Hehehe, Jarran is good for Jaheira.

> Don't we all agree...

Don't you love trying to figure out why all these situations can't be solved with our ordinary spells?

> Poor man. I feel really sorry for him.

The church of Waukeen is in a very bad position, and I felt that some of her priests would have a hard time changing the way they did things.

> And is seems like it will soon be time to go after her...

Yup.

#17 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 03:03 PM

You been able to find that song I segested? I'm curious of your opinion of it.

#18 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 03:40 PM

> “Thank you, Kveroslava. I'm touched.”

> “Shesti, you helped save our son's life. And I know that you have a hard

> path to walk, my friend. A little ardei will make the journey easier.”

I just felt all warm and cozy all of a sudden. Isn't it nice to find good friends on the road of adventure for a change? Very nice.... ;)

> Jarran smiled as he packed away the spice and seeds, and relaxed with a

> bowl of what Rinin called mamaliga, a sort of cornmeal porridge. Sometimes

> the littlest things brought the greatest joy.

Yes... and they can be the easiest to forget. Thank you for reminding me of that too, Silrana. :)

Awwwww... :(

My feelings exactly. ;)

> When the group was finally ready to leave, they wished their hosts a safe

> journey and set off for the city gates. The guards watched their approach

> with stony glares. One of them barked, “Halt, strangers. What business do

> you have here?”

A good transition, in my honest opinion. :)

> “Wallace!” Mazzy barked.

Ouch, my ears!

> “Crime? I didn't defraud Danno, I told him what he was buying!”

> Mazzy stopped, open-mouthed with astonishment. Finally she gasped, “Danno

> knew that you were selling him poison?”

> It was the gnome's turn to be shocked. “Poison! Who said anything about

> poison? I just sold him a weak charming potion.”

Weak, eh? Oh yes, *very*...

> “I am not here regarding any matter of local politics, Renwellyn. I am

> here because my sister lies near death, and it is the fault of one of your

> priests.”

Right to the point! Well, I'd probably do worst if my brother lay in a coma....

Aghh, Talona. I'm currently *dragging* through one of Salvatore's novels (hmmm, what's it called... The Cleric Quintet. Can't say I'm enjoying that much...), and he has Talona as the evil goddess of the story. She has caused a bad impression on me already, and it's getting worst.

And you end this chapter with a pledge. Powerful.

Another story I simply loved, Silrana. Great work! :)

-Sandalwood

#19 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 10:08 PM

> You been able to find that song I segested? I'm curious of your opinion of

> it.

With everything that has been going on in RL, I haven't had time to look. I'll probably pass the name on to my husband, he likes to hunt around on the music sites.

#20 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 01 April 2002 - 10:16 PM

> Me too... Awwwww....

> Break every bone in his body, Jarran!

Hey, would I let a cute little kid down?

> Yum!

I'm fond of paprika myself.

> Nope. :D

*grin*

> Well, that's a comforting thought...

Trademeet isn't too friendly right now.

> Salespitch, no doubt. I don't think Jarran would have very much need of

> love-potions with Jaheira near... :)

Jaheira has already worked her magic on him, who needs potions?

> And stay in the burrow more, no doubt...

Hehehe, some mothers want their kids to stay close.

> Karis : Sometimes mothers can be a bit overzealous... I caught Viconia

> checking Vierna's stuffed animals for sharp edges last morning...

> Viconia : Well, I had to know for certain! *glares*

*grin* Sounds like my husband. I call him Father Hen.

> Yikes. That's come nasty Mojo Barl used...

Very nasty.

> Wow... Considering the philosophical distance between Waukeen and Talona,

> Barl must have been a very good actor...

Well, Renwellyn does say that he's not a very good acolyte, so he may have had a hard time keeping up the act.

> Well, I guess Barl's faith in Talona was not as strong if he had antidotes

> handy... :)

Would you trust Talona to cure you?

> 'Breathe'... And a happy ending here! :)

Oops.

> Ah, I take it Mazzy will stay in the group for a long time, then? :)

Oh, yes.

> Great story,

> ---Weyoun

Thanks!

> Oh, and thanks for the cool ideas!

Use them wisely, young apprentice... :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com