A Cappella Part 78 - Mothering

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 15 February 2002 - 06:47 AM

Sorry I haven't been around to comment much, but RL has been a pain lately. Hopefully I'll catch up this weekend. But I did manage to carve out the time to work on AC a bit.

The party exited the temple of Lathander, grateful to be rid of the enthusiastic but irritating Lawrence Lilarcor. Jarran couldn't help but feel sorry for the young man. It still had not sunk in just how long he had existed as a sword, and the bard knew that the cheerfulness would wane as Lilarcor realized that everyone he had known was almost certainly dead.

As his eyes adjusted to the sunlight, Jarran saw a familiar figure lounging by the canal railing. The man pretended to be staring at the water, but it was obvious he had been waiting for them. Jarran swore under his breath.

Jaheira turned to see what had annoyed him, and gave an irritated snort. “Dermin,” she muttered under her breath. Her face hardened, but she did not turn away or try to avoid the Harper as he looked up in mock surprise.

“Why, Jaheira, fancy finding you in this place.”

“Spare me this ludicrous behavior, Dermin. The last time we spoke we did not part on friendly terms, so obviously you have sought me out. What is it you wish to say?”

“I certainly have not come for a social call. I am here to deliver a warning.” He straightened and spoke more formally. “It has been decided. You are a killer of Harpers and a traitor. You have collaborated with our known enemies. Your execution has been ordered.”

“What? I have never heard of Harpers doing such a thing! Who has ordered this?”

“That does not matter. You have faced Harpers in the past, Jaheira, but now they will come after you with a vengeance. You and your companions will face battle after battle unless you come with me now.”

“Come… come with you?”

“If you return to the Harper Hold with me and face justice, you will be sparing Jarran and your other friends a great deal of hardship… and bloodshed.”

Before Jaheira could say a word, Jarran put his hand on her shoulder and growled, “She's not going anywhere, Harper. I will not allow her to be the scapegoat for Galvarey's follies.”

Dermin glared at him. “I believe the decision is Jaheira's. She has the right to decide how she will remove herself from the difficulties that you created for her.”

Jarran started forward, an urge to see how well the man could swim beating in his temples, but Jaheira put out a restraining hand. “I will consider your words, Dermin.”

“You do that, Jaheira. There will be no other warnings.” The Harper strode away, losing himself in the crowd.

Jarran turned to Jaheira and said harshly, “You didn't actually pay any attention to that, did you?”

“Jarran… he did not lie. If I have been condemned, the Harpers will not rest until the… the traitor has been brought to justice.”

He threw up his hands in exasperation. “I don't understand, Jaheira. You and Khalid and Gorion… all people I love and respect, and yet you are mixed up with this bunch of…of… lunatics! I have come to the conclusion that everything I have heard about Harpers is just one big fairy tale!”

Jaheira tried to hold back her tears. “It was no fairy tale. It was the truth… once. I do not understand this. It goes against everything I was told when I joined them. Please, let us continue on. We will talk another time.”

They returned to the Copper Coronet to tell Hendak that the slaver nest had been destroyed. The former slave announced the news to the entire inn with a loud voice, and there was much cheering from most of the patrons. Most, but not all, Jarran noted.

The group decided to have their supper there, since the long battles had left them tired and hungry, but Jarran promised that they would finally be sleeping at the Five Flagons that night. During the meal, many of the freed children came over to whisper and giggle with Mazzy. They had evidently become attached to the halfling warrior.

Jarran had to laugh at the sight of round-eyed youngsters watching her every move. “You've developed quite a following, Mazzy.”

“Oh, it is nothing.”

Valygar rumbled, “One of your 'nothings' is trying to climb into my lap to get closer to you.” They laughed, because sure enough a small child had crawled under the table and had popped up from beneath it next to Valygar.

Mazzy tutted and pulled the girl into her lap. “Now, now, young one, you do not want to sit on my ranger friend, you will get your pretty new dress all dirty.”

“Dirty?” Valygar said indignantly.

“You have dried mud on your leathers and your trousers, and your cloak has weeds clinging to it. You really should attend to yourself more carefully, Valygar. Tonight when we reach the Five Flagons I believe Anomen should give you some lessons in the proper care of equipment.”

The ranger sat open-mouthed as his companions tried not to snicker. Finally he gave the halfling a slow smile and said, “Yes, Mamma Mazzy.”

“What did you call me?”

“Mamma Mazzy. You seem to have a skill for mothering these children, and now you're trying to mother me as well.”

Now it was her turn to look astonished, and this time the table could not restrain themselves. Jarran and his friends howled with laughter. “Mother you?! How have I done such a thing?”

Anomen said with a chuckle, “Last night you told me I wasn't eating enough vegetables.”

And Jarran chimed in, “And on the way back from Imnesvale you hemmed the edge of my cloak.”

“Well,” she said with a blush, “perhaps I do try to offer a bit of advice or help here or there….” Her discomfort only brought on a fresh wave of laughter. “Oh, you… let us go to the Five Flagons! Perhaps the evening air will clear the foolishness from your heads.”

Still smiling, the group left for the other inn. Jan said cheerfully, “Well, Valy, it looks like Mazzy has nominated herself your keeper.”

“Do not call me Valy, gnome.”

“I can't blame her, you sure could use one. Didn't your mother ever teach you how to clean yourself? Surely she showed you how to scrub behind your ears. Or was she prancing through the woods instead of teaching you how to look like a nobleman?”

“My mother is none of your concern, Jan. I do not want to discuss her.”

“Hmm. You know, this all reminds me of my dear old mother. Did I ever tell you of my mother, Valygar?”

The ranger's face darkened, and he obviously was no longer amused. “I've no interest in hearing about your mother, gnome.”

Oblivious as usual to the emotional currents around him, Jan continued, “Oh, come now, surely it can't all be that bad? Mothers are the most benevolent force in the world, cradling you and caring for you from birth until death. What could be wrong with a story about a dear old mother?”

Through narrowed eyes, the ranger glared at the gnome. “Let me tell you a story, Jan, about my mother. She fell to our family curse young, toying with magic, sinking half our fortune into ancient texts and scrolls. She was obsessed with it. Even my father could barely drag her away from her studies. She practically ignored me from the day I was born.” He leaned menacingly over Jan.

Jan slowly backed away, trying to stammer out a reply but failing. Valygar continued, “She didn't regret her neglect until after my father died. She became so anguished she reanimated him, and went insane trying to lavish attention on his zombie. Ultimately she entered undeath to join him, and I was forced to destroy them both lest they do more harm. I was crying as I did so. So how is that, gnome? Is that the kind of story you were thinking of? Does it compare to the wonderful story of your mother?”

“Ah, no, no. I think that is quite sufficient, thank you,” Jan said weakly. He edged away from the ranger as quickly as possible.

Anomen looked at Valygar in awe. “I never thought I would meet someone who could silence that gnome.”

Valygar did not reply. He quickened his step, striding away from the group. By the time they reached the Five Flagons, he was already seated in the corner nursing a drink, a scowl creasing his face.

Mazzy murmured something under her breath, and started towards him. She was stopped by a cheerful greeting.

“Hello, my good smilin' --- Mazzy! By Brandobaris' stealthy feet, I don't think I've seen you in ages!”

Jarran saw her turn in surprise. “Samuel? Samuel Thunderburp! Greatest fighter of Highdale and reknowned rapscallion. Yes, indeed, it has been a long time.”

“How have you been faring, then? Last I heard, you had hooked up with Patrick and his band up in... what? Trademeet? And I heard you two were awfully, ah, close. Surely you didn't part ways?”

The smile slowly sank from Mazzy's face. “Patrick is dead, Samuel. They all are. I would be, myself, if Jarran had not saved me.”

Samuel looked stricken. “Patrick gone? Your companions as well?” He shook his head in sorrow. “May the Black Hound watch over them, then, and guide them to their final peace.”

“Aye. May the Black Hound watch over them. They have been buried and honored, Samuel... for that, at least, I am thankful.”

“Who's calling the Black Hound in my place of business?” said a halfling woman, her face indignant.

“Be easy, Thalia,” the halfling said to his wife.

Thalia saw who he was conversing with and gasped, “Mazzy! I haven't seen you since we retired from the Life. Why this talk of death?”

Mazzy gave her a sad smile and said, “You and Samuel were far wiser than Patrick and I, Thalia. You have your Samuel, but I… I have lost my Patrick.”

“Oh, my old friend, I am so sorry.”

“Thank you. I will tell you more another time, but for now I need to speak to someone.”

“Don't be a stranger, Mazzy,” Samuel called out as she went to join Valygar.

Jarran got drinks for Jaheira and himself, and the two of them found a quiet table. “Where have Anomen and Jan disappeared to?”

The druid smiled. “Jan is once more trying to lose all of his worldly possessions at a game of chance, and Anomen went upstairs to polish his armor, or at least that was his excuse. He looked a bit tired.”

Jarran glanced over at Valygar and Mazzy, the pair deep in serious discussion. “I'm glad Valygar has someone to talk to. He obviously needs it.”

Jaheira chuckled, “I believe he had the right of it. Mazzy has become the, ah, mother of the group.”

With a grin, Jarran asked, “And who is the father?”

“Why, you are, of course.”

“Me? I'm the youngest person in this party. Even Anomen is older.”

“But it is you that we turn to for advice, for comfort… for leadership.”

Jarran felt himself blushing a bit. “But if I am the group father… shouldn't that make you the mother?”

She snorted derisively. “Me, a mother. What a ridiculous notion.”

“I don't find it that ridiculous, Jaheira.”

They stared at each other for a long moment. Finally Jarran said softly, “Did you and Khalid ever… talk about children?”

“We did occasionally. Khalid would sometimes say that we shouldn't wait too long. That we didn't owe the Harpers our entire lives. But perhaps it is just as well. I doubt I would have the patience for motherhood. And what of you?”

“I… don't know. Personally I would like nothing better than to settle down. I think I've had enough adventure to last me the rest of my life. But… with my heritage…”

“You fear that your children would inherit the essence?”

“I can't deny the possibility. Ah, why am I talking to you about this? My chances of living long enough to become a father are slim.”

“You should not speak that way, Jarran. I am sure you will do more than merely live. Your future will be the stuff of legend.”

“Jaheira,” he said slowly, “the only legend I want to hear about myself is the one about the Bhaalspawn who managed to avoid the prophecies.”

“And what if… if you truly are the one who was foretold? The one who will overshadow all of his kin?”

“I… I don't know. I don't want to be the one, but… at the same time I don't want to be another Bhaalspawn's stepping stone. There has to be another way.”

Jarran saw that Jaheira seemed on the edge of tears. She whispered, “If there is, I am sure you will find it. But I will see that nothing stands in the way of your destiny, no matter what that shall be.”

The bard forced a smile to his face. “Unless my destiny is to become the new Lord of Murder. Then you can feel free to stand in my way.”

“I am sure that is not your ultimate fate. You are too kind, too good-hearted, too…” She turned her face away from him.

“Jaheira?”

“I… I am overtired, I must go to bed. Just… kiss me, Jarran.”

He fervently obliged, but his heart was troubled by her strange mood. As she stood, she murmured, “Goodbye, Jarran.”

“You mean good night.”

“Of course. Good night.”

#2 Guest_Fenix_*

Posted 15 February 2002 - 03:02 PM

> Jarran had to laugh at the sight of round-eyed youngsters watching her

> every move. “You've developed quite a following, Mazzy.”

> “Oh, it is nothing.”

> Valygar rumbled, “One of your 'nothings' is trying to climb into my lap to

> get closer to you.” They laughed, because sure enough a small child had

> crawled under the table and had popped up from beneath it next to Valygar.

> Mazzy tutted and pulled the girl into her lap. “Now, now, young one, you

> do not want to sit on my ranger friend, you will get your pretty new dress

> all dirty.”

> “Dirty?” Valygar said indignantly.

> “You have dried mud on your leathers and your trousers, and your cloak has

> weeds clinging to it. You really should attend to yourself more carefully,

> Valygar. Tonight when we reach the Five Flagons I believe Anomen should

> give you some lessons in the proper care of equipment.”

> The ranger sat open-mouthed as his companions tried not to snicker.

> Finally he gave the halfling a slow smile and said, “Yes, Mamma Mazzy.”

LOL Mamma Mazzy! very fitting indeed!

> “What did you call me?”

> “Mamma Mazzy. You seem to have a skill for mothering these children, and

> now you're trying to mother me as well.”

> Now it was her turn to look astonished, and this time the table could not

> restrain themselves. Jarran and his friends howled with laughter. “Mother

> you?! How have I done such a thing?”

> Anomen said with a chuckle, “Last night you told me I wasn't eating enough

> vegetables.”

> And Jarran chimed in, “And on the way back from Imnesvale you hemmed the

> edge of my cloak.”

*grins*

> Anomen looked at Valygar in awe. “I never thought I would meet someone who

> could silence that gnome.”

Neither did I!

> “You mean good night.”

> “Of course. Good night.”

Oops!

Liked it!

Fenix

#3 Arcalian

Posted 15 February 2002 - 04:24 PM

> “I certainly have not come for a social call. I am here to deliver a

> warning.” He straightened and spoke more formally. “It has been decided.

> You are a killer of Harpers and a traitor. You have collaborated with our

> known enemies. Your execution has been ordered.”

I would never follow the Jaheira romance track regardless, but here's another reason not to. What absurd stupidity from a so-called "Good" organization.

> Through narrowed eyes, the ranger glared at the gnome. “Let me tell you a

> story, Jan, about my mother. She fell to our family curse young, toying

> with magic, sinking half our fortune into ancient texts and scrolls. She

> was obsessed with it. Even my father could barely drag her away from her

> studies. She practically ignored me from the day I was born.” He leaned

> menacingly over Jan.

> Jan slowly backed away, trying to stammer out a reply but failing. Valygar

> continued, “She didn't regret her neglect until after my father died. She

> became so anguished she reanimated him, and went insane trying to lavish

> attention on his zombie. Ultimately she entered undeath to join him, and I

> was forced to destroy them both lest they do more harm. I was crying as I

> did so. So how is that, gnome? Is that the kind of story you were thinking

> of? Does it compare to the wonderful story of your mother?”

> “Ah, no, no. I think that is quite sufficient, thank you,” Jan said

> weakly. He edged away from the ranger as quickly as possible.

YES! Go Valygar!

> “You fear that your children would inherit the essence?”

> “I can't deny the possibility. Ah, why am I talking to you about this? My

> chances of living long enough to become a father are slim.”

> “You should not speak that way, Jarran. I am sure you will do more than

> merely live. Your future will be the stuff of legend.”

> “Jaheira,” he said slowly, “the only legend I want to hear about myself is

> the one about the Bhaalspawn who managed to avoid the prophecies.”

> “And what if… if you truly are the one who was foretold? The one who will

> overshadow all of his kin?”

> “I… I don't know. I don't want to be the one, but… at the same time I

> don't want to be another Bhaalspawn's stepping stone. There has to be

> another way.”

You will overshadow, that is not the question. Question is in what way.

> Jarran saw that Jaheira seemed on the edge of tears. She whispered, “If

> there is, I am sure you will find it. But I will see that nothing stands

> in the way of your destiny, no matter what that shall be.”

> The bard forced a smile to his face. “Unless my destiny is to become the

> new Lord of Murder. Then you can feel free to stand in my way.”

*sniff*

> He fervently obliged, but his heart was troubled by her strange mood. As

> she stood, she murmured, “Goodbye, Jarran.”

> “You mean good night.”

Oh no...

Adrian
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#4 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 15 February 2002 - 04:43 PM

> LOL Mamma Mazzy! very fitting indeed!

Well, it is for my version of Mazzy.

> *grins*

*snickers*

> Neither did I!

And that's actually game, making Valygar, as far as I know, the only NPC who actually made Jan shut up.

> Oops!

Oops indeed.

> Liked it!

> Fenix

Thanks!

#5 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 15 February 2002 - 04:48 PM

> I would never follow the Jaheira romance track regardless, but here's

> another reason not to. What absurd stupidity from a so-called

> "Good" organization.

Even though the Harper plot is interwoven with the Jaheira romance, it's not dependant on it. You get the summons from Galvarey and the visits from Dermin if you have her in the party, regardless. And...there's more to it than the usual Twilight Hall rigid thinking. (If you've never seen this plot, I won't spoil it further.)

Besides, who ever said the Harpers are Good? A substantial number of the founders of the organization are various flavors of Neutral, primarily LN. Mystra was LN at the time, and many of the more powerful Harpers are her Chosen.

That notwithstanding, the "party line" is that the Harpers are anti-tyranny. They oppose conquerors and slavers, and try to end civil wars, in service to that cause.

City of Sorrows

#6 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 15 February 2002 - 04:50 PM

> I would never follow the Jaheira romance track regardless, but here's

> another reason not to. What absurd stupidity from a so-called

> "Good" organization.

The Harpers are fracturing, and some factions are losing sight of the 'good' part of their purpose.

> YES! Go Valygar!

Hehehe. That was one piece of game dialogue I couldn't resist.

> You will overshadow, that is not the question. Question is in what way.

Which is still a nasty question, at least for Jarran.

> *sniff*

*hands over a hankie*

> Oh no...

Next part soon...

#7 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 15 February 2002 - 04:51 PM

> Jaheira turned to see what had annoyed him, and gave an irritated snort.

> “Dermin,” she muttered under her breath. Her face hardened, but she did

> not turn away or try to avoid the Harper as he looked up in mock surprise.

And Vermin was supposed to be Jaheira's mentor or something? In the game he is unpleasant enough.

> He threw up his hands in exasperation. “I don't understand, Jaheira. You

> and Khalid and Gorion… all people I love and respect, and yet you are

> mixed up with this bunch of…of… lunatics! I have come to the conclusion

> that everything I have heard about Harpers is just one big fairy tale!”

Jaheira and Khalid I can buy as my feelings towards them are mixed, but that Gorion was a Harper seems hard to accept/fathom.

> “Well,” she said with a blush, “perhaps I do try to offer a bit of advice

> or help here or there….” Her discomfort only brought on a fresh wave of

> laughter. “Oh, you… let us go to the Five Flagons! Perhaps the evening air

> will clear the foolishness from your heads.”

*grin*

> “Do not call me Valy, gnome.”

The gnome has a talent for unwanted nicknames. Akin to mine, actually.

Me: "Binky, honey, will you bring me a beer?"

Sarry: "I might have if you hadn't called me that."

Me: "Tee-hee. Just wanted to tease you."

That was one of the Valy dialogues where I really wanted to hear more about him. Angsty childhoods are not in shortage with these NPCs.

> “I am sure that is not your ultimate fate. You are too kind, too

> good-hearted, too…” She turned her face away from him.

> “Jaheira?”

> “I… I am overtired, I must go to bed. Just… kiss me, Jarran.”

AWWWWWW

#8 Arcalian

Posted 15 February 2002 - 04:52 PM

Jaheira never lasts long with me, in either game.

And while your information was enlightening, does not change the fact that the whole business was a bunch of absurd stupidity and hypocrisy on the Harpers part. Yes, I know the protagonist being a Bhaalspawn changes things, but they are still rediculous. Which is rather the point.

Adrian
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#9 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 15 February 2002 - 05:21 PM

> And while your information was enlightening, does not change the fact that

> the whole business was a bunch of absurd stupidity and hypocrisy on the

> Harpers part. Yes, I know the protagonist being a Bhaalspawn changes

> things, but they are still rediculous. Which is rather the point.

The PC's parentage is actually a side issue, an excuse.

It's common enough knowledge that I shouldn't consider it a spoiler, anyway. *sighs* The behavior of the so-called Harpers in this plot thread has nothing to do with the actual organization. I would even go so far as to say that the only real Harpers you meet in the game are Jaheira and Elminster. Maybe Reviane, who appears to have been manipulated into her attack, just like the rogue Harpers have been trying to manipulate Jaheira.

Judging the entire organization by the behavior of a handful of renegades is like judging the US by the behavior of John Walker Lindh. It just doesn't scale.

City of Sorrows

#10 Arcalian

Posted 15 February 2002 - 05:27 PM

> It's common enough knowledge that I shouldn't consider it a spoiler,

> anyway. *sighs* The behavior of the so-called Harpers in this plot thread

> has nothing to do with the actual organization. I would even go so far as

> to say that the only real Harpers you meet in the game are Jaheira and

> Elminster. Maybe Reviane, who appears to have been manipulated into her

> attack, just like the rogue Harpers have been trying to manipulate

> Jaheira.

> Judging the entire organization by the behavior of a handful of renegades

> is like judging the US by the behavior of John Walker Lindh. It just

> doesn't scale.

Maybe I didn't make this clear. I was talking about the Amnian Harpers, myself. I don't think much of Jaheira, but that's personal; and Khalid is harmless in that regard also. Gorion, clearly, is above reproach. Elminster is a sanctimonous fool, but he's honest and tries to do right.

Were SUPPOSED to hate these Harpers. Thats the whole IDEA. And that's what I was reacting to. If I hated all Harpers, I sure as heck wouldn't have them be the ones to train Imoen as a mage.

Sorry if you took this personally. I think maybe sometimes writing exclusively about Adrian, an evil bastard, gives people the wrong impression about me. Perhaps I should also start writing Darrian's story when I get back. Now there's a charter Harper member if there ever was one.

Sorry if it seemed personal, Oyster Girl.

Adrian

#11 Darkwolf Shadowwalker

Posted 15 February 2002 - 07:12 PM

> Sorry I haven't been around to comment much, but RL has been a pain

> lately. Hopefully I'll catch up this weekend. But I did manage to carve

> out the time to work on AC a bit.

Heh, I understand completely. Writing Dark Offerings takes all my free time as it is :)

Dermin the Vermim! Kill kill kill!

Vantrel: Grrrr

Too bad Jarran didn't go ahead and kill the bastard, would have saved alot of trouble.

> “That does not matter. You have faced Harpers in the past, Jaheira, but

> now they will come after you with a vengeance. You and your companions

> will face battle after battle unless you come with me now.”

Of course, considering how they mopped up Galvarey and his lackies, that isn't much of a threat.

> Jarran started forward, an urge to see how well the man could swim beating

> in his temples, but Jaheira put out a restraining hand.

LOL! Swim Vermin! Swim! ... rats, Jaheira stopped him.

> get closer to you...

> ...“Well,” she said with a blush, “perhaps I do try to offer a bit of advice

> or help here or there….” Her discomfort only brought on a fresh wave of

> laughter. “Oh, you… let us go to the Five Flagons! Perhaps the evening air

> will clear the foolishness from your heads.”

This entire exchange was great :)

As was this one...

> “Hello, my good smilin' --- Mazzy! By Brandobaris' stealthy feet, I don't

> think I've seen you in ages!”

Brandobaris? Well, I guess we know what Samuel was before he became an innkeeper ;D

> “Aye. May the Black Hound watch over them. They have been buried and

> honored, Samuel... for that, at least, I am thankful.”

> “Who's calling the Black Hound in my place of business?” said a halfling

> woman, her face indignant.

The Black Hound? This is...?

> “Me? I'm the youngest person in this party. Even Anomen is older.”

How old is Jarran, anyways?

>Ah, why am I talking to you about this?

Hmm this sounds a little harsh, kinda like 'why *you*' type thing.

Uh oh... I think I see where this is going.

> “You mean good night.”

I was right... very touching scene, though.

#12 Weyoun

Posted 15 February 2002 - 07:33 PM

Tell me about. I myself am in 'spring-cleaning'-mode early this year, meaning I am currently rearraging my entire collection of carefully collected, useless junk, and trying to single out pieces of carefully collected junk, which is more carefully collected junk than my other carefully collected junk. Basically, I've been busy all day and I am finally relaxing by reading the great stories here...

It's amazing what you find when you clean out your junk. I found tests from the first class in my middleschool (about 11 years ago), an old project from woodshop (during which I almost had a very close encounter with a sawblade) and and some of my very first written works : a paper on life aboard the Enterprise-D, I did for English nine years ago... :)

Speaking of Enterprises, I acidentally knocked a model of the -E while dusting and spend the next hour and a half holding a freshly glued nacelle to the secondary hull, hoping the glue would hold... It did, luckily. :D Ermm, I think I lost your interest now... Let's get back to responding... ;)

> “Why, Jaheira, fancy finding you in this place.”

Hmmm, that one ranks halfway between 'Hey, baby. What's your sign?' and 'Excuse me, but have we met before?' :)

> Before Jaheira could say a word, Jarran put his hand on her shoulder and

> growled, “She's not going anywhere, Harper . I will not allow her to be

> the scapegoat for Galvarey's follies.”

That's the right attitude, Jarran! Screw the Harpers! (present company exluded, of course... heheh...)

> “Jarran… he did not lie. If I have been condemned, the Harpers will not

> rest until the… the traitor has been brought to justice.”

Heh. The Harpers and Section 31. Count the differences...

> Jarran had to laugh at the sight of round-eyed youngsters watching her

> every move. “You've developed quite a following, Mazzy.”

> “Oh, it is nothing.”

> get closer to you.” They laughed, because sure enough a small child had

> crawled under the table and had popped up from beneath it next to Valygar.

> all dirty.”

ROTFL! Lovely compliment...

> Anomen said with a chuckle, “Last night you told me I wasn't eating enough

> vegetables.”

Yipes number one!

> And Jarran chimed in, “And on the way back from Imnesvale you hemmed the

> edge of my cloak.”

Yipes number two!

> Oblivious as usual to the emotional currents around him, Jan continued,

> “Oh, come now, surely it can't all be that bad? Mothers are the most

> benevolent force in the world, cradling you and caring for you from birth

> until death. What could be wrong with a story about a dear old mother?”

I'd table this conversation if I were you, Jan.

Incidentally, you might not want to mention this mother-talk when Viconia or Drizzt are around... ;)

> Samuel looked stricken. “Patrick gone? Your companions as well?” He shook

> his head in sorrow. “May the Black Hound watch over them, then, and guide

> them to their final peace.”

> “Aye. May the Black Hound watch over them. They have been buried and

> honored, Samuel... for that, at least, I am thankful.”

> “Who's calling the Black Hound in my place of business?” said a halfling

> woman, her face indignant.

What's this Black Hound thingy? Sounds ominious...

> She snorted derisively. “Me, a mother. What a ridiculous notion.”

Heh! That's exactly what Viconia told Karis... :D

Hmmm, I bet Jarran and Jaheira would make fine parents, though...

Oh, don't be so fatalistic! Where's your optimism, Jarry! ;)

Hmmm, maybe Jarran could become the only god on the dark pantheon who's not tone-deaf. ;)

> “Jaheira?”

> “You mean good night.”

Ouch! Freudian slip...

Ah, I don't want to be around Jarran the next morning, I gather... Ouch...

---Weyoun

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#13 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 15 February 2002 - 08:05 PM

> Maybe I didn't make this clear. I was talking about the Amnian Harpers,

> myself.

No, it wasn't clear to me that you were just talking about the Amnian renegades. I was under the impression that you were assuming that the rest of the Harpers were very similar to Galvarey et al, in large part because in most of the stories that include these events, the PCs make the same assumption for most if not all of their time on stage.

You did say that you hadn't played through these quests, and I don't recall, offhand, if we've ever had a story here covering the last visit to the Harper HQ, where we learn that the Spectral Harpers have picked up and left. Jaheira cites that as proof that this band has gone rogue.

So I thought you were functioning on limited information. :)

> Sorry if you took this personally. I think maybe sometimes writing

> exclusively about Adrian, an evil bastard, gives people the wrong

> impression about me.

No, actually, it was the alignment debates. Galvarey's behavior, and Dermin's, hit me as being very close to LE, whatever their motives and nominal alignments. It's natural that you would react poorly to them.

> Sorry if it seemed personal, Oyster Girl.

I was more amused, to be honest. I love irony, and the way you were reacting to an organization at least nominally devoted to protecting the right to self-determination played that string hard. *grins*

City of Sorrows

#14 Laufey

Posted 15 February 2002 - 09:30 PM

Blah, blah, blah...

> > “If you return to the Harper Hold with me and face justice, you will be

> sparing Jarran and your other friends a great deal of hardship… and

> bloodshed.”

Justice? From *those* people?

> Jaheira tried to hold back her tears. “It was no fairy tale. It was the

> truth… once. I do not understand this. It goes against everything I was

> told when I joined them. Please, let us continue on. We will talk another

> time.”

The dangers of large and secret societies, answerable only to themselves. Far too often they will be corrupted from within I think.

>

> “You have dried mud on your leathers and your trousers, and your cloak has

> weeds clinging to it. You really should attend to yourself more carefully,

> Valygar. Tonight when we reach the Five Flagons I believe Anomen should

> give you some lessons in the proper care of equipment.”

> The ranger sat open-mouthed as his companions tried not to snicker.

> Finally he gave the halfling a slow smile and said, “Yes, Mamma Mazzy.”

LOL!

> Through narrowed eyes, the ranger glared at the gnome. “Let me tell you a

> story, Jan, about my mother. She fell to our family curse young, toying

> with magic, sinking half our fortune into ancient texts and scrolls. She

> was obsessed with it. Even my father could barely drag her away from her

> studies. She practically ignored me from the day I was born.” He leaned

> menacingly over Jan.

> Jan slowly backed away, trying to stammer out a reply but failing. Valygar

> continued, “She didn't regret her neglect until after my father died. She

> became so anguished she reanimated him, and went insane trying to lavish

> attention on his zombie. Ultimately she entered undeath to join him, and I

> was forced to destroy them both lest they do more harm. I was crying as I

> did so. So how is that, gnome? Is that the kind of story you were thinking

> of? Does it compare to the wonderful story of your mother?”

Me either. I wonder, are you going to let Valygar overcome his aversion to magic somehow?

> Jarran felt himself blushing a bit. “But if I am the group father…

> shouldn't that make you the mother?”

Yes, Jarran! Let's play 'House'! :)

> “Jaheira?”

> “You mean good night.”

Awww... She's about to take off then. Very sweet scene, and I have a feeling Jarran's about to get a nasty surprise...

Rogues do it from behind.

#15 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 16 February 2002 - 12:43 AM

> And Vermin was supposed to be Jaheira's mentor or something? In the game

> he is unpleasant enough.

I certainly hope he was nicer when Jaheira met him.

> Jaheira and Khalid I can buy as my feelings towards them are mixed, but

> that Gorion was a Harper seems hard to accept/fathom.

Well, remember that the Athkatlan Harpers have gone off the rails. Gorion was what a Harper *should* be.

> *grin*

It's fun to make Mazzy blush.

> The gnome has a talent for unwanted nicknames. Akin to mine, actually.

> Me: "Binky, honey, will you bring me a beer?"

> Sarry: "I might have if you hadn't called me that."

> Me: "Tee-hee. Just wanted to tease you."

*snicker*

> That was one of the Valy dialogues where I really wanted to hear more

> about him. Angsty childhoods are not in shortage with these NPCs.

And you'll hear more about it through the course of AC. Valygar has more than Lavok to worry about. With his ancestry, he has every reason to think that insanity runs in the family.

> AWWWWWW

*grin* Thanks.

#16 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 16 February 2002 - 12:55 AM

> Heh, I understand completely. Writing Dark Offerings takes all my free

> time as it is ;)

Free time? What's that?

> Dermin the Vermim! Kill kill kill!

> Vantrel: Grrrr

> Too bad Jarran didn't go ahead and kill the bastard, would have saved alot

> of trouble.

Patience, patience.

> Of course, considering how they mopped up Galvarey and his lackies, that

> isn't much of a threat.

Yes, but if they came after them in a large group...

> LOL! Swim Vermin! Swim! ... rats, Jaheira stopped him.

*snicker*

> This entire exchange was great ;)

> As was this one...

Thankee!

> Brandobaris? Well, I guess we know what Samuel was before he became an

> innkeeper ;D

Hehehe, very possibly.

> The Black Hound? This is...?

The Black Hound is one of the names of Urogalan, a halfling god. He is the protector of the souls of the dead.

> How old is Jarran, anyways?

The generally accepted age for PCs is roughly 20.

> Hmm this sounds a little harsh, kinda like 'why *you*' type thing.

Hmmm, perrhaps a touch. He was thinking in terms of talking about children with a woman who had missed her chance with her husband, but it could do with a brush up.

> Uh oh... I think I see where this is going.

> I was right... very touching scene, though.

Thanks. Next stop, the Harper Hold.

#17 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 16 February 2002 - 01:09 AM

> Tell me about.

And you certainly told us! ;)

> Hmmm, that one ranks halfway between 'Hey, baby. What's your sign?' and

> 'Excuse me, but have we met before?' ;)

At least he didn't offer to buy her a drink.

> That's the right attitude, Jarran! Screw the Harpers! (present company

> exluded, of course... heheh...)

Not in the future...*Silrana smacks herself hard*

> Heh. The Harpers and Section 31. Count the differences...

*raises eyebrow*

> ROTFL! Lovely compliment...

*grin* There's a lot of game dialogue, though, that shows that Valygar isn't the, ah, neatest person in the world. Some of the person-in-the-street dialogues are a riot. One person mistakes him for a streetsweeper, and another tries to hire him as a gardener.

> Yipes number one!

> Yipes number two!

*grin*

> I'd table this conversation if I were you, Jan.

Does he ever?

> Incidentally, you might not want to mention this mother-talk when Viconia

> or Drizzt are around... ;)

Val's rather touchy too, as you noticed.

> What's this Black Hound thingy? Sounds ominious...

It's another name for Urogalan, the halfling god of the dead.

> Heh! That's exactly what Viconia told Karis... :D

> Hmmm, I bet Jarran and Jaheira would make fine parents, though...

We'll have to see...

> Oh, don't be so fatalistic! Where's your optimism, Jarry! :D

Imoen got it all.

> Hmmm, maybe Jarran could become the only god on the dark pantheon who's

> not tone-deaf. :D

*howls* I can see it now, he tries to start a band with Cyric and Bane....

> Ouch! Freudian slip...

> Ah, I don't want to be around Jarran the next morning, I gather... Ouch...

> ---Weyoun

You'll see soon... I hope.

#18 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 16 February 2002 - 01:22 AM

> Blah, blah, blah...

*snicker*

> Justice? From *those* people?

Not from that bunch, certainly.

> The dangers of large and secret societies, answerable only to themselves.

> Far too often they will be corrupted from within I think.

Which is what the Harpers think of other large and secret societies. I love irony.

> LOL!

Glad you liked it!

> Me either. I wonder, are you going to let Valygar overcome his aversion to

> magic somehow?

Wait and see...

> Yes, Jarran! Let's play 'House'! ;)

Hehehe, it's funny what inspires you. This talk, and the Mamma Mazzy theme, came from a research project I did in college. I was taking an advanced anthropology course, and everyone in the class was assigned a leading anthropologist, and you had to study a group and apply that person's theory to them. I studied the D&D group I was DMing. For the life of me I can't remember the anthropologist's name, but his theory was that the basic unit of humanity was the family, and that until groups become large they form around family structures. It's not too far from some of the popular theories today. No matter if you call it a patriarch or an alpha male, it works out pretty much the same.

> Awww... She's about to take off then. Very sweet scene, and I have a

> feeling Jarran's about to get a nasty surprise...

Thanks. And for Jarran's reaction, that's coming soon.

#19 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 16 February 2002 - 01:40 AM

Yeah, RL has been a kicker lately for all of us, it seems. I'm just getting over a bad cold that left me too weak to sit at my computer and play games... :D

Glad to see AC still chugging along.

> The party exited the temple of Lathander, grateful to be rid of the

> enthusiastic but irritating Lawrence Lilarcor. Jarran couldn't help but

> feel sorry for the young man. It still had not sunk in just how long he

> had existed as a sword, and the bard knew that the cheerfulness would wane

> as Lilarcor realized that everyone he had known was almost certainly dead.

A one-way time-travel ticket.

You can't seem to throw a rock without hitting a Harper...

> Jaheira tried to hold back her tears. “It was no fairy tale. It was the

> truth… once. I do not understand this. It goes against everything I was

> told when I joined them. Please, let us continue on. We will talk another

> time.”

Good working of the dialogue here. Nice touch with Jaheira's reaction at the end, too. Gives her a reason to cut off the conversation with her usual "We'll talk later" tag line.

> They returned to the Copper Coronet to tell Hendak that the slaver nest

> had been destroyed. The former slave announced the news to the entire inn

> with a loud voice, and there was much cheering from most of the patrons.

> Most, but not all, Jarran noted.

Amalas, maybe? ;)

> The group decided to have their supper there, since the long battles had

> left them tired and hungry, but Jarran promised that they would finally be

> sleeping at the Five Flagons that night. During the meal, many of the

> freed children came over to whisper and giggle with Mazzy. They had

> evidently become attached to the halfling warrior.

I'd rather have Mazzy than a purple dinosaur, that's for sure!

> all dirty.”

> “Dirty?” Valygar said indignantly.

*insert Sir John Gielgud accent here* "Dirty? Dirty?! I assure you that while I may become ruffled, slightly soiled, or even moderately sullied, I never become 'dirty'!"

> “What did you call me?”

> “Mamma Mazzy. You seem to have a skill for mothering these children, and

> now you're trying to mother me as well.”

Just don't call her 'pipsqueak'.

Is this when Jan spouted that particular dialogue?

I've got to hand it to Val, though... He does know how to shut up that gnome. (BTW, have you seen the dialogue between him and Imoen. Hysterical... ;) )

> The smile slowly sank from Mazzy's face. “Patrick is dead, Samuel. They

> all are. I would be, myself, if Jarran had not saved me.”

Poor Mazzy... :D

> She snorted derisively. “Me, a mother. What a ridiculous notion.”

Scary would be the word I would come up with... More because I could see her being *very* protective of her child, and woe to anyone who threatened it...

Well, guess who's taking over the gloominess title from Valygar...

> “You mean good night.”

D'oh... Clue in, Jarran, clue in... He had to see that she was being moodier than normal here. Oh well, love is blind.

Looks like whatever plans they had for the morning are going to be changed.

As long as you keep writing them, I'll keep reading them!

The Mutant

BTW, did you see that LOTR was nominated for 13 Oscars? I was upset they didn't include one for Elijah Wood...

#20 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 16 February 2002 - 03:17 AM

> Yeah, RL has been a kicker lately for all of us, it seems. I'm just

> getting over a bad cold that left me too weak to sit at my computer and

> play games... :D

Now that's a bad cold!

> Glad to see AC still chugging along.

Oh, yes. It may wax and wane, but it still goes on.

> A one-way time-travel ticket.

Very one-way. Heaven only knows how long he was trapped in that sword.

> You can't seem to throw a rock without hitting a Harper...

And I'd like to throw a few rocks and find out...

> Good working of the dialogue here. Nice touch with Jaheira's reaction at

> the end, too. Gives her a reason to cut off the conversation with her

> usual "We'll talk later" tag line.

Thanks. Ah, one of the hallmarks of the Jaheira romance, just when things get interesting, "we'll talk later".

> Amalas, maybe? ;)

Just because Hendak's in charge, that doesn't mean there aren't still dirtbags around.

> I'd rather have Mazzy than a purple dinosaur, that's for sure!

*shudders* Though I must admit, Barney's not as bad as some. I've seen some children's programs that make Barney look like Masterpiece Theatre.

> *insert Sir John Gielgud accent here* "Dirty? Dirty?! I assure you

> that while I may become ruffled, slightly soiled, or even moderately

> sullied, I never become 'dirty'!"

Valygar: I wasn't *that* bad. I had a few spots that weren't too dusty.

> Just don't call her 'pipsqueak'.

Never.

> Is this when Jan spouted that particular dialogue?

Actually he said it right after the big fight at the guarded compound. It didn't quite fit there.

> I've got to hand it to Val, though... He does know how to shut up that

> gnome. (BTW, have you seen the dialogue between him and Imoen.

> Hysterical... ;) )

Oh, yes! It's too funny.

> Poor Mazzy... :D

She's working through it.

> Scary would be the word I would come up with... More because I could see

> her being *very* protective of her child, and woe to anyone who threatened

> it...

It's Jaheira, Warrior Mother!

> Well, guess who's taking over the gloominess title from Valygar...

*snicker*

> D'oh... Clue in, Jarran, clue in... He had to see that she was being

> moodier than normal here. Oh well, love is blind.

Well, they're all very tired after a long day of whacking slavers, so his attention isn't what it should be.

> Looks like whatever plans they had for the morning are going to be

> changed.

Oooh, yeah.

> As long as you keep writing them, I'll keep reading them!

> The Mutant

I hope so!

> BTW, did you see that LOTR was nominated for 13 Oscars? I was upset they

> didn't include one for Elijah Wood...

I heard something about it, but I don't really pay any attention to the Oscars. There have been so many years that I haven't seen any of the 'Oscar' movies that I've just lost interest. Heck, there are some years that I haven't even *heard* of a lot of the nominated movies. The movies I go to have to include swords, gunplay or Jackie Chan. The only way you would get me into a chick flick is at gunpoint. I hope LOTR does well, though, because I'm all in favor of anything that might get more fantasy movies onto the screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com