A Cappella Part 77 - Slavers

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 09 February 2002 - 08:59 PM

“I swear before all that is holy, sword, if you don't shut up I'm going to beat you into a plowshare!”

“Aw, come on, Jarran, I'm just havin' a little fun.”

“That's it, you're going back into the scabbard, and I'm going back to my axe. Whoever stuck you in that sewer had the right idea, though I question their taste in poetry.”

“Hey! I wrote those!”

“Why am I not surprised?”

Kay looked at the talking sword with great distaste. What an incredibly annoying creature.

Well, you're the expert.

Really! Even I on my worst day cannot compete with that… that… thing.

Jarran sighed. What a pity he was the only who could use that stupid blade. He had to agree with Kay, the sword had been nothing but trouble from the moment he had taken possession of it. It had started with the cry of “We're here to kill you!” when they entered the building from the sewers, bringing a horde of guards charging their way, but the straw that had broken the camel's back was its refusal to stop screaming “Murder! Death! Kill!” while they were trying to calm the crying enslaved children. The poor things were still huddled in their cages, terrified to come out.

Jaheira approached him, a frown on her face. “I am unsure of what we should do, Jarran. I cannot coax the children out, and they become hysterical when Valygar and Anomen come near them. Do you think you could try?”

“I'll do my best.” About two dozen dirty, wide-eyed youngsters watched him until he stepped into the cage, then began to scream and wail in terror. He backed out quickly. “Oops.”

Mazzy marched past him, ignoring the tears, and walked to within a foot of the boys. “Now stop that this instant,” she said sternly. “You have survived a terrible experience, young ones. You should be proud! You are strong. You are brave. You have nothing to fear from these people, they have come to rescue you.”

As she spoke, the tears died away to sniffles, and smiles began to appear. The boys started to stand straighter, and one said, “You're really here to rescue us?”

“We have, ah, taken care of all the slavers that held you here, and now we will take you away from this place. Now, I have a very important task for you boys. You must come with me to the girls' cage and show them how brave you are. This will help them be brave as well.”

At these words, there was a sudden flurry of eyes being wiped and faces rubbed. Jarran had to grin as he watched the youngsters clean themselves up to impress the young girls. They followed Mazzy into the cell where roughly the same number of girls cried and huddled in the corner. Strangely enough the only one who was quiet was the little waif they had rescued from being eaten by trolls. She had tried to calm the other girls, but the sight of people in armor had overridden her assurances.

The girls quieted when they saw that Mazzy was accompanied by the boys. The halfling smiled and said, “Come with us, little ones. Freedom awaits you.”

One of the older girls blurted out, “How do we know you aren't slavers too? You could just be taking us somewhere to sell us.”

“If we were slavers, child, we would not be speaking this way. We would simply take whips or sticks and drive you out.” She sighed. “And it would appear that some of you know this from experience.” She knelt down beside a girl who was curled up into a ball. She smoothed out the back of the girl's dress, letting the whip marks on her back show through the tears in the fabric. “You need healing, little one. Does anyone else have injuries?”

Jarran was happy to see that the other children had no more than scratches and bruises. He watched Jaheira tending to the whipped girl, and a smile came to his face. She was so gentle and kind with the child, soothing the traumatized girl with a tenderness that those who had experienced her sharp tongue might not have believed possible. The image of Jaheira as a mother came into his mind. I wonder why she and Khalid never… He brought that line of thought to a halt. It was silly to think about that. He and Jaheira would never have children.

As the slave children gathered to leave, one of the boys asked Mazzy shyly, “W-who are you?”

“I am Mazzy Fentan, a knight of Arvoreen. You are very lucky, young ones, for you have been rescued by the adventuring party lead by Jarran of Candlekeep, a very famous bard.”

Jarran grinned, because he doubted any of the children had heard of him before, but they all looked suitably impressed. While they giggled and stared at the adventurers, Valygar came to Jarran's side. “You'll want to look at these,” the ranger said, handing him a stack of papers.

The bard shuffled through them. “Well, well. It would seem they kept excellent records. A lovely list of people they have sold slaves to, and… what's this? It would seem this is not the slavers' headquarters. The leaders live and do business in a home here in Athkatla. Do any of you recognize the name of this house?” He passed around one of the papers.

Anomen's jaw clenched when he saw the record sheet. “I know of this place. A palatial and luxurious estate, mere steps from the Order and the Temple. They dare to operate amongst the very gods themselves.”

“Well then,” Jarran said grimly. “We know where to go next. After we take care of these children, of course.”

They took the youngsters to the Copper Coronet, where a meeting was already in progress among the slaves who had been held there. Some wished to find their way to their homelands, and others wanted to make a life in Amn.

Hendak was thrilled to see them. “So, my friends, you bring us more who now breathe free. We will see to these children and ensure that they are properly cared for.”

Jarran smiled as he quietly passed Hendak a bag of gold. “Some of them are old enough to apprenticed somewhere, and I'm sure some of the adults would be willing to adopt a number of them after they have established themselves. The ones who want to return to their native countries might find caretakers among the adults who are going home. If you need more gold to care for them, let me know. I can be reached through the Five Flagons Playhouse.”

“Ah, you are too kind.”

“Not at all. Let's just say… I know what it's like to be in a cage.”

As they walked through the city to the slaver estate, Jarran found Mazzy at his side. The halfling said softly, “You have not spoken much of your time in the wizard's laboratory.”

“To tell the truth, I don't remember much beyond pain and fear.”

“I understand. The helplessness, the rage, the terrors of an uncertain future… it leaves a wound.”

“I suppose you would know.”

“I must say, in the time that I have traveled with you, you have proven yourself to be a person of good heart, Jarran. What you have done for those poor slaves assures me that I have found the right person to travel with.”

“Thank you, Mazzy. Thank you for judging me for who I am rather than what people think I am.”

“I could say the same. You treat me with respect and dignity, and I appreciate that. Many would find a halfling knight laughable, but you do not.”

“Well, there are all sorts of knights in the world, and who says they all have to be paladins?”

“Ah, but halflings do not usually take part in such things.”

“Then start your own order of knighthood.”

Mazzy looked startled. “Begin… my own?”

“Why not? Every order in existence had to be started by someone.”

“It is an attractive idea, my friend. An order of knighthood open to all races and all types of adventurers, but all with a dedication to that which is good and just.” She thought silently for a few minutes, then said, “It would be quite an undertaking. I would need to train squires so that they could go forward to train their own. It would take time, but it could be done.”

Jarran laughed. “I can see the plans forming in your mind as we speak.”

Mazzy smiled as she said, “I am merely considering who would be a suitable candidate for my first squire.” Her eyes seemed to linger on Valygar, who did not appear aware that he was being scrutinized.

They reached the slaver mansion, and Anomen looked at it in disgust. “A lovely home, surrounded by the holiest of temples, bought and paid for with the blood and tears of slaves. Such vermin must pay for their crimes.”

They were met just inside the door by two rude inhabitants, but Jarran put them off guard by pretending to have entered the wrong home. He was just about to signal an attack when they used magic to whisk themselves away.

He growled in irritation, “Let's be careful here. They obviously have a lot of power.” They crept through the large lavishly decorated room, when suddenly the swirling of magic alerted them to danger. None could mistake the signs of someone or something being magically transported into the room. They ran towards a corner of the room, hoping to gain time to see what foes they faced.

A fearsome array of creatures appeared. A huge hulking glabrezu, an efreeti, an ogre and a handful of ettercaps stepped from the portals, along with a shadowy figure that Jarran did not recognize.

“A nishruu!” Jan gasped. “They're magic eaters!”

While the bard's mind raced to form a strategy, the glabrezu slashed at the nishruu with an angry howl. In seconds, a fight had broken out among the summoned creatures. Without a word, Anomen began to chant, and Jarran felt a rush of serenity. “What did you cast?”

“A spell to protect us from creatures of evil. The demon appears to be the greatest threat, and now he will ignore us until we are ready to strike.”

They watched in amusement as the glabrezu slaughtered all the other summoned creatures. They used the time to arm themselves with their most powerful missile weapons, and when the demon had finished venting its rage, they sent a deadly rain its way. It charged them, but was dead before it came within striking distance.

As they readied themselves to go up the sweeping staircase, Jarran heard a faint whine. “Don't leave me out of all the fun. I was in a sewer forever and ever, and now you keep me cooped up in this thing.”

The bard sighed. “I'll give you one last chance, Lilarcor. You keep your mouth…or whatever it is you use shut, and I'll let you out.”

“All right! It's killin' time!”

“I said be quiet!”

“Oops.”

They crept up the stairs, then peered into the large room at the top. A group of people and creatures appeared to be huddled in a discussion. “Jan, we should toss a couple of fireballs their way while they aren't paying attention,” Jarran whispered.

Suddenly a loud voice rang out, “Awww! Spells? You promised I'd get to have some fun!”

The slavers turned and immediately attacked. It was a hard battle against fierce and skilled foes, but finally they defeated them. Jaheira and Anomen cast healing spells again and again, trying to ease the pain of the many wounds the party had received.

Jarran was shaking with anger. His error in judgment could have cost lives. “Sword, you are going straight to the Adventurer's Mart. Though I'll be lucky to get more than a shaved copper for your sorry self!”

“But I'm a great sword! I'm the mighty Lilarcor! Aww, I should have known a pansy bard couldn't handle power like mine. Sell me, then, maybe a real warrior will buy me!”

Feeling a surge of icy rage welling up from the pit of his stomach, Jarran roared. He swung the sword with all his might against the wall. He was not prepared for the results of his temper.

The world seemed to slow as his eyes widened. The blade shattered into tiny silver shards, and in his shock he dropped the hilt. It bounced once, then clattered to the floor among the slivers. The party froze, startled by the sight.

The shards began to glow, and a figure took shape. Suddenly a young man was sitting where the sword had been. The man looked around in wonder and said, “Where am I?”

Jarran finally found his voice. “Who are you?”

“I'm Lawrence Lilarcor. What… what has happened? Why am I here?”

“I… I had a sword named Lilarcor and it, um, got broken, and suddenly you appeared.”

“A sword? That's funny… the last thing I remember was telling this uppity wizard in a tavern that a good sword could beat his spells any day, and then I asked this pretty little thing to go up to my room… the wizard started yelling, something about the girl being his daughter…that's all I can remember.”

“I'd say he trapped you in the sword.”

“Wow. Was I good sword? Powerful and sharp?”

“Um, yes, a very good sword. There is a temple of Lathander just across the way, why don't we take you there and the priests will help you get home.”

“All right. Gee, this is even better than beating that evil treant. I was a mighty sword!”

Jarran left the young man to his happy thoughts as the group finished exploring the home. Valygar was pleased when Jarran presented him with a katana of obvious power.

Jaheira joined him as they collected their equipment. “It would seem that for once your temper had a positive result.”

“Yes, though… I don't understand how the blade could have shattered so easily.”

“Jarran, when you swung the sword, did you feel… different?”

“Well, I was angry… I remember a cold sensation. Why?”

“Did you enjoy the battle? The destruction that surrounded us? Did you attack the sword because you did not wish the violence to end?

“Of course not! I was angry at the stupid thing for almost getting us all killed. Jaheira, these questions sound a lot like Galvarey's.”

Jaheira looked shocked. She stammered, “I… I am sorry. But your eyes were so strange and… I must know! I must know that you are more human than not! I must know that your... your poison blood has not taken your senses!”

“Poison blood? Jaheira, I thought we had sorted this out. I thought you trusted me.”

“I do, but… but…I must know that the Child of Bhaal in front of me is as sincere as he seems, so I do not get myself... I mean, get anyone else hurt... pursuing your company.”

Jarran lifted her chin and forced her to meet his eyes. “You have been with me for a long time, Jaheira. If what you have seen me say and do hasn't convinced you yet, then I don't know what else I can do. What do you want me to say?”

She stared into his eyes for a long moment, then sighed. “You have an uncanny knack, Jarran, for holding a mirror up to my soul. I am... I am looking for excuses to avoid you... and what I feel. What is it about you that makes my resolve melt like butter in the sun? I suppose I have come to a crossroads. I must decide which direction to go, and never look back.”

Jarran took her hands and said gently, “And I will still be there to help you, no matter what you decide.”

#2 Guest_Winter_Bloom_*

Posted 09 February 2002 - 09:55 PM

> “I swear before all that is holy, sword, if you don't shut up I'm going

> to beat you into a plowshare!”

> “Aw, come on, Jarran, I'm just havin' a little fun.”

> “That's it, you're going back into the scabbard, and I'm going back to my

> axe. Whoever stuck you in that sewer had the right idea, though I question

> their taste in poetry.”

> “Hey! I wrote those!”

> “Why am I not surprised?”

I had this sword in only one game. I sold the silly thing the next day.

> “I'll do my best.” About two dozen dirty, wide-eyed youngsters watched him

> until he stepped into the cage, then began to scream and wail in terror.

> He backed out quickly. “Oops.”

Sigh, That's not a good impression to make.

> Mazzy marched past him, ignoring the tears, and walked to within a foot of

> the boys. “Now stop that this instant,” she said sternly. “You have

> survived a terrible experience, young ones. You should be proud! You are

> strong. You are brave. You have nothing to fear from these people, they

> have come to rescue you.”

It's Mazzy to the rescue! ;)

> Jarran smiled as he quietly passed Hendak a bag of gold. “Some of them are

> old enough to apprenticed somewhere, and I'm sure some of the adults would

> be willing to adopt a number of them after they have established

> themselves. The ones who want to return to their native countries might

> find caretakers among the adults who are going home. If you need more gold

> to care for them, let me know. I can be reached through the Five Flagons

> Playhouse.”

> “Ah, you are too kind.”

> “Not at all. Let's just say… I know what it's like to be in a cage.”

Andaire: That's all too true, isn't it?

> As they walked through the city to the slaver estate, Jarran found Mazzy

> at his side. The halfling said softly, “You have not spoken much of your

> time in the wizard's laboratory.”

That's a trip down memory lane that's best avoided.

> Mazzy smiled as she said, “I am merely considering who would be a suitable

> candidate for my first squire.” Her eyes seemed to linger on Valygar, who

> did not appear aware that he was being scrutinized.

Give in now Valygar. Mazzy will get her way. ;)

> They watched in amusement as the glabrezu slaughtered all the other

> summoned creatures. They used the time to arm themselves with their most

> powerful missile weapons, and when the demon had finished venting its

> rage, they sent a deadly rain its way. It charged them, but was dead

> before it came within striking distance.

Luckily summoned creatures are for the most part on the stupid side.

> Feeling a surge of icy rage welling up from the pit of his stomach, Jarran

> roared. He swung the sword with all his might against the wall. He was not

> prepared for the results of his temper.

> The world seemed to slow as his eyes widened. The blade shattered into

> tiny silver shards, and in his shock he dropped the hilt. It bounced once,

> then clattered to the floor among the slivers. The party froze, startled

> by the sight.

> The shards began to glow, and a figure took shape. Suddenly a young man

> was sitting where the sword had been. The man looked around in wonder and

> said, “Where am I?”

> Jarran finally found his voice. “Who are you?”

> “I'm Lawrence Lilarcor. What… what has happened? Why am I here?”

Whoa, this is a neat twist!

> She stared into his eyes for a long moment, then sighed. “You have an

> uncanny knack, Jarran, for holding a mirror up to my soul. I am... I am

> looking for excuses to avoid you... and what I feel. What is it about you

> that makes my resolve melt like butter in the sun? I suppose I have come

> to a crossroads. I must decide which direction to go, and never look

> back.”

> Jarran took her hands and said gently, “And I will still be there to help

> you, no matter what you decide.”

Awww, how sweet...

#3 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 09 February 2002 - 10:14 PM

> I had this sword in only one game. I sold the silly thing the next day.

I had it for a while in my Silrana game, then realized I never used it because I couldn't stand the constant inane remarks.

> Sigh, That's not a good impression to make.

And certainly not the reaction he usually gets.

> It's Mazzy to the rescue! ;)

No nonsense to the core.

> Andaire: That's all too true, isn't it?

> That's a trip down memory lane that's best avoided.

Nothing about that place was pleasant.

> Give in now Valygar. Mazzy will get her way. :)

*grin*

> Luckily summoned creatures are for the most part on the stupid side.

And that really is what happened in my game. I just sat back and let them kill each other.

> Whoa, this is a neat twist!

I've been wanting to do that for ages.

> Awww, how sweet...

*smiles* Thank you.

#4 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 09 February 2002 - 10:17 PM

I feel your pain, Jarran. I always sell Lilarcor, can't stand it.

> but the straw that

> had broken the camel's back was its refusal to stop screaming “Murder!

> Death! Kill!” while they were trying to calm the crying enslaved children.

> The poor things were still huddled in their cages, terrified to come out.

ROFL! Sorry, but can't help laughing.

Now Mazzy is being like a true paladin. And the kids probably fear a halfling less than a human.

> “If we were slavers, child, we would not be speaking this way. We would

> simply take whips or sticks and drive you out.” She sighed. “And it would

> appear that some of you know this from experience.” She knelt down beside

> a girl who was curled up into a ball. She smoothed out the back of the

> girl's dress, letting the whip marks on her back show through the tears in

> the fabric. “You need healing, little one. Does anyone else have

> injuries?”

Grrr! Die, slaver scum, die!

Nice twist!

#5 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 09 February 2002 - 10:25 PM

> I feel your pain, Jarran. I always sell Lilarcor, can't stand it.

In the game, Lilarcor's contribution was providing more gold for Imoen's rescue.

> ROFL! Sorry, but can't help laughing.

It's one of those guilty pleasures, but the kids were okay.

> Now Mazzy is being like a true paladin. And the kids probably fear a

> halfling less than a human.

She's much closer to their own size, which helped.

> Grrr! Die, slaver scum, die!

They did, they did!

> Nice twist!

Hehe, thanks.

#6 Laufey

Posted 09 February 2002 - 10:30 PM

> Really! Even I on my worst day cannot compete with that… that… thing.

> Jarran sighed. What a pity he was the only who could use that stupid

> blade. He had to agree with Kay, the sword had been nothing but trouble

> from the moment he had taken possession of it. It had started with the cry

> of “We're here to kill you!” when they entered the building from the

> sewers, bringing a horde of guards charging their way, but the straw that

LOL! Lilarcor really is annoying, isn't it?

Poor Valy, he's in for it now.

> Suddenly a loud voice rang out, “Awww! Spells? You promised I'd get to

> have some fun!”

ROFL! World's most annoying sword all right.

Oooh! Very, very nice plot twist!

> “I… I had a sword named Lilarcor and it, um, got broken, and suddenly you

> appeared.”

> “A sword? That's funny… the last thing I remember was telling this uppity

> wizard in a tavern that a good sword could beat his spells any day, and

> then I asked this pretty little thing to go up to my room… the wizard

> started yelling, something about the girl being his daughter…that's all I

> can remember.”

> “I'd say he trapped you in the sword.”

> “Wow. Was I good sword? Powerful and sharp?”

> “Um, yes, a very good sword. There is a temple of Lathander just across

> the way, why don't we take you there and the priests will help you get

> home.”

> “All right. Gee, this is even better than beating that evil treant. I was

> a mighty sword!”

Vadrak Dekaras: Strange how much that man reminds me of my employer. I never thought I'd see his equal in cheerful brainlessness.

> Jarran lifted her chin and forced her to meet his eyes. “You have been

> with me for a long time, Jaheira. If what you have seen me say and do

> hasn't convinced you yet, then I don't know what else I can do. What do

> you want me to say?”

> back.”

AWWW! ;)

Rogues do it from behind.

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 09 February 2002 - 10:43 PM

> LOL! Lilarcor really is annoying, isn't it?

*very*

> Poor Valy, he's in for it now.

And the poor guy doesn't know it.

> ROFL! World's most annoying sword all right.

Certainly BG's, that's for sure.

> Oooh! Very, very nice plot twist!

Thankee.

> Vadrak Dekaras: Strange how much that man reminds me of my employer. I

> never thought I'd see his equal in cheerful brainlessness.

*snicker* Now there's a comparison!

> AWWW! ;)

I'll always be thankful for an Aww! Glad you liked it.

#8 Weyoun

Posted 09 February 2002 - 11:50 PM

Ipsiya : *And thus giving him a new... Well, A purpose in life*

> Kay looked at the talking sword with great distaste. What an incredibly

> annoying creature.

> Well, you're the expert.

LOL! Did Jarran get out on the wrong side of the bed this morning? ;)

> Really! Even I on my worst day cannot compete with that… that… thing.

> blade. He had to agree with Kay, the sword had been nothing but trouble

> from the moment he had taken possession of it. It had started with the cry

> of “We're here to kill you!” when they entered the building from the

> sewers, bringing a horde of guards charging their way, but the straw that

Awwwww. That was a little insensitive of the sword...

> As she spoke, the tears died away to sniffles, and smiles began to appear.

> The boys started to stand straighter, and one said, “You're really here to

> rescue us?”

Awwww... Well done, Mazzy!

> One of the older girls blurted out, “How do we know you aren't slavers

> too? You could just be taking us somewhere to sell us.”

> appear that some of you know this from experience.” She knelt down beside

> a girl who was curled up into a ball. She smoothed out the back of the

> girl's dress, letting the whip marks on her back show through the tears in

> the fabric. “You need healing, little one. Does anyone else have

> injuries?”

Grrrrr... I hope they killed those slavers but good!

> Hendak was thrilled to see them. “So, my friends, you bring us more who

> now breathe free. We will see to these children and ensure that they are

> properly cared for.”

> Playhouse.”

Ah, now Hendak is a good sort, isn't he?

> “Then start your own order of knighthood.”

> Mazzy looked startled. “Begin… my own?”

> “Why not? Every order in existence had to be started by someone.”

> “It is an attractive idea, my friend. An order of knighthood open to all

> races and all types of adventurers, but all with a dedication to that

> which is good and just.” She thought silently for a few minutes, then

> said, “It would be quite an undertaking. I would need to train squires so

> that they could go forward to train their own. It would take time, but it

> could be done.”

Hey, now there's an idea! She could call it the 3rd ED-club, where even Orcs good of heart can join! :)

> Jarran laughed. “I can see the plans forming in your mind as we speak.”

Target locked! :)

> While the bard's mind raced to form a strategy, the glabrezu slashed at

> the nishruu with an angry howl. In seconds, a fight had broken out among

> the summoned creatures. Without a word, Anomen began to chant, and Jarran

> felt a rush of serenity. “What did you cast?”

LOL! Never look at a Glabrezu with a crooked grin, or you'll be eating pincer for breakfast... Obviously a lesson which that Nishruu forgot... ;)

And back to the Abyss to be imprisoned for a century... Bet he was depressed when he arrived... ;)

> The bard sighed. “I'll give you one last chance, Lilarcor. You keep your

> mouth…or whatever it is you use shut, and I'll let you out.”

Lilarcor : Ermmm, don't mind the man behind the curtain! :)

> have some fun!”

Jarran : D'OH! :D

Whoa!

> “I'd say he trapped you in the sword.”

> “Um, yes, a very good sword. There is a temple of Lathander just across

> the way, why don't we take you there and the priests will help you get

> home.”

LOL! Better not dwell on the sword-bit, eh? Lovely solution to getting rid of the loud-... Ermmm, loudhilted(?) sword!

> back.”

Awwwww... Sweet scene, great story!

---Weyoun

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 10 February 2002 - 12:54 AM

> Ipsiya : * And thus giving him a new... Well, A purpose in life *

*evil grin*

> LOL! Did Jarran get out on the wrong side of the bed this morning? ;)

Since he slept at the Copper Coronet, is there a good side to the beds?

> Awwwww. That was a little insensitive of the sword...

*raises eyebrow* You can't possibly expect sensitivity from Lilarcor of all things?

> Awwww... Well done, Mazzy!

She gets the job done.

> Grrrrr... I hope they killed those slavers but good!

They are currently rotting on the floor.

> Ah, now Hendak is a good sort, isn't he?

Yup. He spent years trying to keep other slaves alive, so he has to be a good guy.

> Hey, now there's an idea! She could call it the 3rd ED-club, where even

> Orcs good of heart can join! :)

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

> Target locked! :)

But acquired? We'll see.

> LOL! Never look at a Glabrezu with a crooked grin, or you'll be eating

> pincer for breakfast... Obviously a lesson which that Nishruu forgot... ;)

Hehehe, doesn't say much for a glabrezu's eating habits...

> And back to the Abyss to be imprisoned for a century... Bet he was

> depressed when he arrived... ;)

Glabrezu: Sonova... not again!

> Lilarcor : Ermmm, don't mind the man behind the curtain! :)

*snicker*

> Jarran : D'OH! :D

*snarls* Stupid sword.

> Whoa!

That's been rattling around in my head ever since I read the item description.

> LOL! Better not dwell on the sword-bit, eh? Lovely solution to getting rid

> of the loud-... Ermmm, loudhilted(?) sword!

Jarran's too kind to tell him just how the sword got broken.

> Awwwww... Sweet scene, great story!

> ---Weyoun

Thanks!

#10 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 10 February 2002 - 01:30 AM

> “Hey! I wrote those!”

> “Why am I not surprised?”

Omg! What a rip-roaring way to begin a chapter. [snickers] Then again, y'all at the Attic are bona fide experts at hooking the reader early (and reeling him/her in).

Um, mebbe Jarran should remember the axiom about fighting w/ fools? ...

> blade.

Hmm, yes; a pity indeed. I like to saddle Saint Keldorn w/ it, just to be perverse.

Lol!

> Mazzy marched past him...

> You must come with me to the girls' cage and show them how brave

> you are. This will help them be brave as well.”

Masterfully handled, ic, wow.

> Playhouse.”

I like how you flesh this out: much more fulfilling than the original resolution.

> “Thank you, Mazzy. Thank you for judging me for who I am rather than what

> people think I am.”

Plausible, enjoyable bonding scene, where they're exploring their commonality. This party really *is* falling into place, except for maybe Jan. He doesn't seem to be having too many bonding experiences with other party members.

Uh-oh; click-whirrrrr! So many possibilities...to sound like a broken record, et, CD, I'm excited to see how you develop *this* too. Reading your work is like listening to a Mozart symphony, with the density of parts, counterharmonies, etc...despite its name.

Giggle

> “A nishruu!” Jan gasped. “They're magic eaters!”

Hmm, the first time we heard from Jan all day. Oh glorious day! (¿Taloo, tallaey? ;)

> “A spell to protect us from creatures of evil. The demon appears to be the

> greatest threat, and now he will ignore us until we are ready to strike.”

Aww! Sir Ano *has* matured.

> by the sight.

> said, “Where am I?”

Imaginative resolution. A delightfully vivid description of Jarran's emotions and actions.

> you want me to say?”

> back.”

Awwwww... Very sweet! Wonderful way to end the chapter.

And again, thank you for sharing this. :))

#11 Guest_H'kira the Wolf_*

Posted 10 February 2002 - 01:34 AM

Awwww....

Just wanted to say...I read all of these, they're great. I just never know what to say in a review. May I repeat great!

I love these stories,

H'kira n' the Wolf

#12 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 10 February 2002 - 02:01 AM

> Omg! What a rip-roaring way to begin a chapter. [snickers] Then again,

> y'all at the Attic are bona fide experts at hooking the reader early (and

> reeling him/her in).

We try, we try.

> Um, mebbe Jarran should remember the axiom about fighting w/ fools? ...

Hehehe, they didn't fight for long!

> Hmm, yes; a pity indeed. I like to saddle Saint Keldorn w/ it, just to be

> perverse.

Now *there's* a scary picture.

> Lol!

Well, at least he was trying.

> .

> .

> .

> Masterfully handled, ic, wow.

Mazzy isn't the sort to stand around when there is work to be done.

> I like how you flesh this out: much more fulfilling than the original

> resolution.

I understand the game mechanics reasons, but in 'RL' it doesn't make much sense to just toss a bag of gold to a bunch of kids and send them on their way.

> .

> .

> .

> Plausible, enjoyable bonding scene, where they're exploring their

> commonality. This party really *is* falling into place, except for maybe

> Jan. He doesn't seem to be having too many bonding experiences with other

> party members.

The only bonds the others in the group are interested in involve leather or rope... and a gag.

> Uh-oh; click-whirrrrr! So many possibilities...to sound like a broken

> record, et, CD, I'm excited to see how you develop *this* too. Reading

> your work is like listening to a Mozart symphony, with the density of

> parts, counterharmonies, etc...despite its name.

*grin* Well, as my novel page says, you can think of it as the style of a cappella where the voices are singing notes rather than words - the singers themselves are the instruments.

> Giggle

Poor Val, he doesn't know someone is planning his life for him.

> Hmm, the first time we heard from Jan all day. Oh glorious day! (¿Taloo,

> tallaey? ;)

*snicker*

> Aww! Sir Ano *has* matured.

He knows his way around fighting, and as a priest would have had some training in fighting demons and such, so I figured he would know the right thing to do.

> Imaginative resolution. A delightfully vivid description of Jarran's

> emotions and actions.

Glad you liked it.

> Awwwww... Very sweet! Wonderful way to end the chapter.

> And again, thank you for sharing this. :))

Thanks for the compliments. ;)

#13 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 10 February 2002 - 02:17 AM

> Awwww....

> Just wanted to say...I read all of these, they're great. I just never know

> what to say in a review. May I repeat great!

> I love these stories,

> H'kira n' the Wolf

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. And don't worry about saying just the right thing, an "I liked it" is just fine!

#14 Darkwolf Shadowwalker

Posted 10 February 2002 - 02:26 AM

LOL! Yea, I got rid of that damn thing. It is amusing for awhile, then insanely annoying.

Nice move Mazzy ;)

> Jarran was happy to see that the other children had no more than scratches

> and bruises. He watched Jaheira tending to the whipped girl, and a smile

> came to his face. She was so gentle and kind with the child, soothing the

> traumatized girl with a tenderness that those who had experienced her

> sharp tongue might not have believed possible. The image of Jaheira as a

> mother came into his mind. I wonder why she and Khalid never… He brought

> that line of thought to a halt. It was silly to think about that. He and

> Jaheira would never have children.

Nice little observation/pondering here.

> Playhouse.”

Ah, good. I always hated just giving that girl some gold and sending her on her way in the game. I mean how long do you think she would have that before it was stolen?

> “It is an attractive idea, my friend. An order of knighthood open to all

> races and all types of adventurers, but all with a dedication to that

> which is good and just.” She thought silently for a few minutes, then

> said, “It would be quite an undertaking. I would need to train squires so

> that they could go forward to train their own. It would take time, but it

> could be done.”

Danger Will Robinson, Danger! :) The little wheels of invention are whirring in Mazzy's head!

> have some fun!”

*groans, then marches purpoefully towards a furnace, Lilarcor in hand*

> can remember.”

Interesting solution... I would have then proceeded the beat the boy savagely most likely, but interesting ;)

> you want me to say?”

> back.”

Awwwwww very touching scene!

#15 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 10 February 2002 - 02:43 AM

> LOL! Yea, I got rid of that damn thing. It is amusing for awhile, then

> insanely annoying.

Exactly. I had it for a little while in an earlier game, then it was too much trouble to listen to that nattering.

> Nice move Mazzy ;)

And the core of her party nickname, which will appear soon.

> Nice little observation/pondering here.

It's hard for someone like Jarran to think of the future when he wonders if he has one.

> Ah, good. I always hated just giving that girl some gold and sending her

> on her way in the game. I mean how long do you think she would have that

> before it was stolen?

Even Yoshimo points that out. It just wasn't realistic for someone like Jarran.

> Danger Will Robinson, Danger! :) The little wheels of invention are

> whirring in Mazzy's head!

Kay: Quiet, you blundering bucket of bolts!

> *groans, then marches purpoefully towards a furnace, Lilarcor in hand*

*sigh* It would probably only give him a suntan.

> Interesting solution... I would have then proceeded the beat the boy

> savagely most likely, but interesting ;)

Well, he doesn't remember his time as a sword, so it seemed rather heartless to jump on him for it.

> Awwwwww very touching scene!

Thanks. It's getting into that part of the Jaheira romance where things begin to heat up...

#16 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 10 February 2002 - 04:34 AM

>> *groans, then marches purpoefully towards a furnace, Lilarcor in hand*

> *sigh* It would probably only give him a suntan.

Another item for destruction at Mt Doom.

In order of priority: 1) Lilarcor, and if there is time, 2) The Ring of Power.

Let's keep our priorities straight.

#17 Darkwolf Shadowwalker

Posted 10 February 2002 - 04:38 AM

> Another item for destruction at Mt Doom.

> In order of priority: 1) Lilarcor, and if there is time, 2) The Ring of

> Power.

> Let's keep our priorities straight.

Sounds good to me.

I want a *cool* talking weapon dammit!

#18 Guest_Dallan_*

Posted 10 February 2002 - 04:49 AM

> Sounds good to me.

> I want a *cool* talking weapon dammit!

I wonder if any of our resident techies is willing to code Ipisya? Ipsiya? However it's spelled, I like it. :)

I've dug up the code for Lilacror, and it doesn't seem that tough...granted, that could just be a reflection of the sword's "personality". *sigh*

-D.

Ninefires Development Studios

#19 Arcalian

Posted 10 February 2002 - 05:18 AM

> “I am Mazzy Fentan, a knight of Arvoreen. You are very lucky, young ones,

> for you have been rescued by the adventuring party lead by Jarran of

> Candlekeep, a very famous bard.”

*snerk*

Theros: I never wanted fame.

Adrian: Nor I, just money.

> “To tell the truth, I don't remember much beyond pain and fear.”

> “I understand. The helplessness, the rage, the terrors of an uncertain

> future… it leaves a wound.”

> “I suppose you would know.”

> “I must say, in the time that I have traveled with you, you have proven

> yourself to be a person of good heart, Jarran. What you have done for

> those poor slaves assures me that I have found the right person to travel

> with.”

> “Thank you, Mazzy. Thank you for judging me for who I am rather than what

> people think I am.”

> “I could say the same. You treat me with respect and dignity, and I

> appreciate that. Many would find a halfling knight laughable, but you do

> not.”

> “Well, there are all sorts of knights in the world, and who says they all

> have to be paladins?”

> “Ah, but halflings do not usually take part in such things.”

Very interesting.

Uh oh....

> “A spell to protect us from creatures of evil. The demon appears to be the

> greatest threat, and now he will ignore us until we are ready to strike.”

HEH!

> Jarran was shaking with anger. His error in judgment could have cost

> lives. “Sword, you are going straight to the Adventurer's Mart. Though

> I'll be lucky to get more than a shaved copper for your sorry self!”

> “But I'm a great sword! I'm the mighty Lilarcor! Aww, I should have known

> a pansy bard couldn't handle power like mine. Sell me, then, maybe a real

> warrior will buy me!”

> by the sight.

> said, “Where am I?”

> “I… I had a sword named Lilarcor and it, um, got broken, and suddenly you

> appeared.”

> can remember.”

Oh my!

> “Jarran, when you swung the sword, did you feel… different?”

> “Well, I was angry… I remember a cold sensation. Why?”

> “Did you enjoy the battle? The destruction that surrounded us? Did you

> attack the sword because you did not wish the violence to end?

> “Of course not! I was angry at the stupid thing for almost getting us all

> killed. Jaheira, these questions sound a lot like Galvarey's.”

> Jaheira looked shocked. She stammered, “I… I am sorry. But your eyes were

> so strange and… I must know! I must know that you are more human than not!

> I must know that your... your poison blood has not taken your senses!”

> “Poison blood? Jaheira, I thought we had sorted this out. I thought you

> trusted me.”

> “I do, but… but…I must know that the Child of Bhaal in front of me is as

> sincere as he seems, so I do not get myself... I mean, get anyone else

> hurt... pursuing your company.”

*Adrian grits his teeth and throttles Jaheira*

Never mind him. Well written as always.

The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#20 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 10 February 2002 - 05:26 AM

I actually gave Lilarcor to Minsc in my first game. Seemed an appropriate match. In my second game there was noone in my group that could wield two-handed swords, so he got left at the Keep early on.

> Jaheira approached him, a frown on her face. “I am unsure of what we

> should do, Jarran. I cannot coax the children out, and they become

> hysterical when Valygar and Anomen come near them. Do you think you could

> try?”

? ? ?

If Jarran looks like the portrait on the novel website... I am not at all surprised at their reaction.

Ooops, indeed. Added a couple extra therapy sesssions that they'll need.

Mazzy to the rescue!

> “We have, ah, taken care of all the slavers that held you here, and now we

> will take you away from this place. Now, I have a very important task for

> you boys. You must come with me to the girls' cage and show them how brave

> you are. This will help them be brave as well.”

Ah, yes... Remind them of their plumage and of all the hens in the next cage... :)

> appear that some of you know this from experience.”

I *do* hope that all of the slavers got chunked. No hope for resurrection. :)

> I wonder why she and Khalid never… He brought

> that line of thought to a halt. It was silly to think about that. He and

> Jaheira would never have children.

Slight confusion here. 'He and Jaheira...' Khalid or Jarran? I'm assuming Khalid, but you had another 'he' prior to this one that referred to Jarran.

> As the slave children gathered to leave, one of the boys asked Mazzy

> shyly, “W-who are you?”

'SUPER-MAZ'

> “I am Mazzy Fentan, a knight of Arvoreen. You are very lucky, young ones,

> for you have been rescued by the adventuring party lead by Jarran of

> Candlekeep, a very famous bard.”

Now go forth, and spread the legend that is Jarran!

'...old enough to be apprenticed...' or just 'to apprentice'?

Whatever destiny he had... Mazzy just took it over.

> He growled in irritation, “Let's be careful here. They obviously have a

> lot of power.” They crept through the large lavishly decorated room, when

> suddenly the swirling of magic alerted them to danger. None could mistake

> the signs of someone or something being magically transported into the

> room. They ran towards a corner of the room, hoping to gain time to see

> what foes they faced.

That's my first reaction, too - regroup into a defensible position. It is a little annoying when they have the cutscene that reorganizes your party and makes you react with everyone out of place.

> the summoned creatures.

Let's you and him fight....

> As they readied themselves to go up the sweeping staircase, Jarran heard a

> faint whine. “Don't leave me out of all the fun. I was in a sewer forever

> and ever, and now you keep me cooped up in this thing.”

Don't fall for it, Jarran!

> have some fun!”

I warned you...(sigh)

You are here because you were - *are* - an idiot...

Well, sharp and edgy....

> Jaheira joined him as they collected their equipment. “It would seem that

> for once your temper had a positive result.”

> “Yes, though… I don't understand how the blade could have shattered so

> easily.”

> “Jarran, when you swung the sword, did you feel… different?”

> “Well, I was angry… I remember a cold sensation. Why?”

> “Did you enjoy the battle? The destruction that surrounded us? Did you

> attack the sword because you did not wish the violence to end?

Nice way of incorporating that dialogue. It always seemed to be missing the first half of it.

> back.”

I have always liked a lot of Jaheira's lovetalk dialogues. There is so much more to Jaheira than just the hardened warrior with a sharp tongue. Unfortunately - like Anomen - you don't see too much of it unless you are in the romance with her...

Nice 'Awwwwwww' moment at the end, too. :)

Well, inspiration must have struck. I wasn't expecting a part from you for some time.... Glad you found the time for this one!

The 'Awwww'-ing Mutant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com