Has anyone read this one?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tansi_*

Posted 23 November 2002 - 11:34 AM

Hello, I'm new to posting here (this is my very first), but I've been in total awe of the talent of the writers here since I first came here :twisted:

I was just wondering if anyone has read the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake? I have yet to find anyone else who has and it kind of surprises me. It was one of my most-read books in high school and I recently got an all in one with it that I'm reading again with a new eye.

Tansi

#2 Leo

Posted 25 November 2002 - 02:42 PM

Gormenghast is pretty good, from what I've heard. I didn't read it yet (though it's in my reading plans), but I watched a British TV series based on it. Quite liked it.

Leo

#3 Guest_Tansi_*

Posted 25 November 2002 - 09:28 PM

The series was fairly close, though naturally it condensed a lot. And for me to say that is a miracle because normally I hate movies based on my favorite books because so much is often left out or changed! (No one wants to hear how I screamed at the movie of Gone with the Wind, trust me.. LOL!)

I will say it does take a bit to get into the books, the writing can seem a bit "heavy" at times, if you know what I mean. A little slow and hard to get into, but well worth it :wink:

Tansi

#4 Guest_Dallan_*

Posted 26 November 2002 - 01:01 AM

I've desperately wanted to read Gormenghast ever since I saw that miniseries based on it...actually, I only saw the first part, but that was enough. B)

I still haven't gotten to it, though, sadly. It's stuck on The List.

#5 Guest_Tansi_*

Posted 26 November 2002 - 01:56 AM

I've desperately wanted to read Gormenghast ever since I saw that miniseries based on it...actually, I only saw the first part, but that was enough. :)

I still haven't gotten to it, though, sadly. It's stuck on The List.

I was so hoping the movie would get more people interested in it. I think it's one of the lost gems B)

And boy do I know about The List ::looks at stacks and stacks of books all over her house::

#6 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 13 December 2002 - 07:45 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has read the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake? I have yet to find anyone else who has and it kind of surprises me. It was one of my most-read books in high school and I recently got an all in one with it that I'm reading again with a new eye.

Hey, I'm reading that right now. :shock:

Long Live Steerpike! And yes, it was the BBC series that dragged me into it. :roll:

-Nyx

#7 Guest_Tansi_*

Posted 13 December 2002 - 10:04 PM

Hey, I'm reading that right now. :roll:

Long Live Steerpike! And yes, it was the BBC series that dragged me into it. ;)

-Nyx

Yay! A convert! Hope you're enjoying the books :shock: I'm still in the midst of re-reading amongst the other umpteen books all over my house..LOL!

Tansi

#8 Guest_Kendis_*

Posted 30 January 2003 - 02:39 AM

Oooh! :D

I have been trying to find that for over a year, and finally got it out of the library today! I'm so excited! :D

(Yes, I was hooked by the miniseries, as well. :wink: )

-Kendis :D

#9 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 02 July 2003 - 05:55 AM

Did you know that Peake wrote Titus Groan while serving in the army in WWII. He lugged it about with him in his kit and lost the first draft due to circumstances beyond his control (war can do that to you.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com