A Cappella Part 61 - Party Time

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 27 December 2001 - 07:32 PM

The Firecam home was brightly lit with hundreds of candles, and the sound of laughter rang through the halls. The revelers had been treated to good food and good drink, and had regaled one another with humorous tales. Many a story of a squire's pranks or a knight's foibles was shared, much to the delight of all the guests. Anomen had been repeatedly toasted, which he had received with a mixture of delight and embarrassment. Jan's toast, however, had to be brought to a sudden finale when it went on for so long that Jarran threatened to dunk him in a canal.

The partygoers were now relaxing in various parts of the house, enjoying private conversations or joining in an assortment of party amusements. Jarran was watching the proceedings with a sense of warmth, only part of which had been brought on by Lady Maria's excellent taste in wine. He heard a low chuckle beside him and turned to see Lady Sirelle. Her eyes twinkled at him.

“Lady Sirelle, what a pleasant surprise.”

“And it is a pleasure to speak to you. I always enjoy meeting unusual people, it is the only thing that makes parties bearable.”

“I assure you I am not that unusual.”

She gave him a slow smile. “The first thing you must learn about me, my lad, is that I know many things. People like to tell me things, you see, especially if I like them. That is my talent, and it has served me well. So there is no need for you to be modest. At the moment you are easily the most talked-about bard in Amn.”

“You flatter me, my lady.”

“Oh, posh, flattery is for those who can think of nothing better to say. Tell me something of your adventures, Jarran. I am anxious to hear of them.”

Jarran told her about the battle against Firkraag, politely pointing out Anomen's bravery, then told her a slightly edited version of the defeat of the beholder cult. She was indeed truly interested, and not merely making polite conversation, because he was impressed by the intelligent questions she asked about his tactics and how he had reached certain conclusions.

After he finished his tales, she nodded thoughtfully. “I see that my grandson has had excellent companions to help him through the difficult days before his Test. I hope he is allowed to continue with you.”

“Allowed? Oh, I see. Yes, I hadn't thought much about that, but the Order could send him somewhere. I hope he can stay, he has been a valuable member of the party.”

“I am glad to hear you say so.”

“Lady Sirelle… may I ask you a personal question?”

The silver-haired woman gave him a saucy wink. “That depends on how personal the question.”

Jarran chuckled. “Not that personal, I assure you. I was told how Anomen struggled with little money and equipment, and yet…”

“And yet I hardly appear impoverished. You are trying to ask why we didn't help Anomen.”

“Well… yes.”

“If he would have allowed it, I would have sent Anomen to his squiring ceremony in the finest armor money could buy and holding a sword that would make Sir Ryan weep with jealousy. We have a few interesting heirlooms around the estate. But the boy has a stubborn streak wider than the Great Rift. He had it in his head that it was his father's place to be his patron, and none other. We were told that he had become a priest after the fact, and all offers of further aid were rebuffed. I wish I could blame his pride and stubbornness on Lord Cor, but I fear our family has a generous portion of it as well.”

“He wouldn't take help from his own grandparents?”

“Not a copper. I have a sneaking suspicion that by wandering the city in battered armor and threadbare clothes he hoped to shame his father into supporting him. Alas, Cor's hatred of the Order outweighed even that.”

“And now that he is a knight?”

“Judging from what you have told me, I suspect he no longer needs our aid. And speaking of my grandson, he is finally alone. Pardon me while I have a word with him.”

“Of course.”

Anomen wandered into a quiet room, glad for a moment of solitude. It had been a day of many exhausting emotions, and had he not been the guest of honor he would have found a chair to curl up in for a nap. He pulled aside a curtain and stared out at the night, wondering how a single day could make such a change in a person's life.

“Sir Anomen. That has such a lovely ring.”

The priest smiled as he turned. His grandmother was the one person who could interrupt his reverie without irritating him. “I am pleased that you think so, Grandmother.”

“I am proud of you, lad, and your grandfather will be just as proud when I take him the news.”

“How is Grandfather?”

“He is not as strong as he used to be, but he does quite well. Travel overtires him, however, so it is probably best that I came alone. So… have you spoken to Sir Ryan yet?”

“Yes, I am happy to say he has given me leave to continue in Jarran's company.”

“Excellent. He is a very interesting young man, your friend. A good influence.”

Anomen felt himself reddening. “And you felt I needed one?”

“With Cor as a father? Most certainly. But more importantly, you needed a good friend, and I have a feeling this Jarran has a sympathetic ear.”

“Feeling as you do, I often wondered why you allowed Mother to marry Father.”

A sour look crossed Lady Sirelle's face. “There were reasons, of course, at the time…”

“You needn't be so delicate, Grandmother. Do you think Cor could let that go unsaid when he argued with Mother? But there were many times when I was growing up,” he said with a sigh, “that I would have given anything to be a Costmar bastard rather than the Delryn heir.”

“Anomen, you do not truly mean that, do you?”

“Actually, no, for if Father and Mother had never married I never would have known the joy of having Moira for a sister.” He swallowed hard, trying to hide his emotions.

He could see that he hadn't fooled Sirelle for a moment. “Anomen, I have no words to tell you how sorry I am. When I heard of Moira's death I was devastated. Cor… your father wouldn't let me into the house to pray over her ashes. Perhaps you could pray for me the next time you are home.”

“Grandmother, I… I have no home. Father has disowned me because I refused to kill the man he suspects of being involved in her death.”

“He did that?” she gasped in shock. “I never would have dreamed he would go so far.” She composed herself, then laid her hand on his arm. “You always have a home with the Costmars. Remember that, Anomen. You are still very much a part of your mother's family, if not your father's.”

Silently Anomen wrapped her in his arms and hugged her. She held him as tightly as she could, and for a moment he felt like a little boy again, running to his grandmother with a skinned knee. He felt his throat tighten and knew he was on the verge of tears. But his grief was still too painful to acknowledge, and he fought to bring his emotions back under control.

Clearing his throat, he stepped back and said, “Thank you, Grandmother. In truth, the only time in my life I felt at home was when I was visiting you and Grandfather. I never had a friend in Athkatla like the friends I had at those house parties.”

“Ah, speaking of friends, that reminds me. Lord Anter has passed away.”

“So Marnus has inherited the title? How is Marnus?”

“He and Amelera are doing well. She's expecting another child.”

“Another? Marnus has been busy. I never received news of the second child.”

“Oh, it was another son. Amelera is hoping for a girl this time.”

“Give them both my best wishes when you see them next. And now, Grandmother, I fear I must return to the party. The guest of honor cannot absent himself for too long.”

Sirelle roamed the party, giving the occasional smile or nod as she went. She did not care for parties, she preferred the intimacy of the parlor to the openness of the dinner table. Still, watching people was one of her greatest amusements.

Now that half-elven woman, for example. No matter where she was or who she spoke with, her attention was focused on Jarran. She watched him with a hawkish concern. Sirelle had heard many tales of the great skald of Candlekeep, and was certain he had many enemies. This other woman seemed determined to see any danger to him before it could strike. A good person to have at one's side… in more ways than one, if she read the glances correctly.

At last she spotted someone worth talking to. “Sir Keldorn, I haven't had a chance to thank my host. I must congratulate you for the splendid meal we enjoyed.”

With a smile and a small bow, Keldorn said, “The praise must go to my wife, for it was she who arranged a feast on short notice.”

“To be able to bring together this lovely a party with such little preparation time is an admirable skill.”

“My wife has many, Lady Sirelle.” Sirelle noticed that he was watching his wife, who was across the room speaking to Sir Ryan, with a smile twitching at the corners of his mouth. Maria happened to look his way, and returned his gaze with a slow smile. Sirelle hoped that this meant that the nasty gossip she had heard was untrue.

“The same could be said for you, Sir Keldorn. I am especially impressed by your abilities as a teacher. Anomen has bloomed under your tutelage.”

“I only did what I could to bring his qualities to the surface, my lady. He already possessed all the traits of a good knight, he merely needed the discipline to focus them.”

“Still, I was very pleased when I learned you had taken over his training. If only Moirala had consulted me before asking Blethyn to be Anomen's knight… he was totally unsuitable.”

“And I thought you liked me, Sirelle.” With an amused smile, Blethyn appeared at her side.

“I do like you, you young scamp, but that doesn't change the fact that you would have been a bad influence on Anomen.”

“He and I are blood, after all. Do you really think I would have so much as ruffled his hair?”

“No, but your libertine ways would not have set a good example.”

Rather than be insulted, Blethyn grinned. “You never have approved of me, Sirelle, but I think libertine is going a bit far. I was with Darlan for five years, and would be with him still if he hadn't…” The grin faded from his face. “When Moirala asked me to take Anomen as my squire, Darlan's ashes weren't even cold. I was hardly in any mood to go carousing.”

Sirelle shot Keldorn an apologetic glance. “Perhaps we should save this discussion for another time.”

“I doubt it is any secret to Sir Keldorn. Darlan and I were discreet, but we made no attempt to hide our relationship.”

Keldorn nodded. “I already knew. Blethyn is not the only such knight in the Order, Sirelle.”

“I know that perfectly well, but when Anomen became a squire he was still naïve in many ways. I still think he was better served by being allowed to mature away from such matters.”

Blethyn gave her a mock bow, the twinkle back in his eyes. “And I have honored your request by only being with Anomen when we were serving with other knights and squires so that he had plenty of opportunities to compare me with other knights.”

Keldorn's eyebrows rose. “I had wondered why he was so frequently assigned to other knights. You asked Blethyn to leave him behind?”

She shot Blethyn an amused look. “For all his avowals of commitment, he did begin to look for new companionship before very long. I did not want Anomen exposed to the sort of company Blethyn keeps. How he maintains his paladinship, I will never know.”

The blonde knight chuckled. “Sirelle, Tyr has no complaints with my behavior, which is far less scandalous than you imagine.”

“Perhaps Tyr's blindness works to your favor. I wonder what the Watcher would think?”

Keldorn raised his hands. “Now, now, there is no reason to bring the gods into this, even in jest.”

“Blethyn knows I meant Tyr no disrespect. This is an old subject for the two of us, one that lost its sting long ago.”

Blethyn nodded. “Tell me, Sir Keldorn, did Sirelle's precautions work? Is my young cousin still pure and virtuous, or have I corrupted him completely?”

Keldorn just smiled and said, “He has formed no attachments that I know of, so I could not say. I doubt, however, that any time spent with you influenced him one way or the other.”

“You see, my lady? Completely unharmed by his wild and untrustworthy elder.”

“Oh, you rascal,” she snorted. “But I would not say completely unharmed. He still had to deal with Cor.”

Blethyn caught Keldorn's inquiring glance and shook his head. “Cor wasted no time in taunting him with it as soon as he discovered that I was, as he put it, a depraved perversion of manhood. Anomen said that his father called me the perfect example of a knight.”

Keldorn sighed. “Why am I not surprised? Cor has never let an opportunity to be cruel go by.”

Blethyn growled. “A pity we've never been able to catch Cor at anything. I'd love to see that smirking bastard in front of a judge. Or better still, at the end of my sword. But at least with no secrets between us, Anomen understood why I left him in Athkatla when I traveled. In fact, I think he was a bit relieved to have an excuse to stay close to Moira.”

Sirelle slipped her arm around Blethyn's. “Come along, and tell me more of your latest roguish escapades. We've monopolized our host long enough.”

“How can I refuse the request of a lovely lady?”

“I knew there was some reason I liked you, Blethyn.”

Jarran joined Anomen, who was standing by the fireplace with a wide grin on his face. “What is so amusing, my friend?”

Anomen just pointed, and Jarran followed the direction of his gaze. Lady Sirelle was on a sofa, looking like a porcelain doll next to Minsc. The two of them seemed to be having a serious discussion, one that was being listened to most intently by Boo, who was perched on Minsc's knee.

Jarran chuckled. “Your grandmother is a very interesting woman, Anomen.”

“And well I know it, my friend. I have her and my grandfather to thank for who I am today. I spent a mere handful of summers at their home, but those times showed me what happiness was. Were it not for them, I might have become as twisted and bitter as my father.” He shook his head, a thoughtful look on his face. “They despise Cor, and were terribly disappointed that my mother fell in love with him, yet they never held that against Moira and me. When we were there, we were just two more Costmar grandchildren, as precious as any of our cousins. I have seen many people who have not been as forgiving, and have divided their families forever.”

The two men were joined by Keldorn who, Jarran could not help but notice, looked younger and happier than he had ever seen him. “Well, Jarran, at least when you leave for your next adventure you will still have a knight of the Order with you.”

“Yes,” the bard said with a grin. “I will miss you, Keldorn, but I think Anomen will do quite well as your replacement as our resident knight.”

Anomen blushed deeply. “You flatter me, Jarran. A man would have to serve many years to even approach Sir Keldorn's level. I… I will miss you as well, sir.”

“Just remember that my home is open to you, should you ever need to speak to me. I consider you my friends, and I will be sorry to see all of you go. Well, all but Jan.”

#2 Darkwolf Shadowwalker

Posted 27 December 2001 - 07:53 PM

> “I assure you I am not that unusual.”

> She gave him a slow smile. “The first thing you must learn about me, my

> lad, is that I know many things. People like to tell me things, you see,

> especially if I like them. That is my talent, and it has served me well.

> So there is no need for you to be modest. At the moment you are easily the

> most talked-about bard in Amn.”

> “You flatter me, my lady.”

Jarran must be the only modest bard in the Realms. ;)

> “If he would have allowed it, I would have sent Anomen to his squiring

> ceremony in the finest armor money could buy and holding a sword that

> would make Sir Ryan weep with jealousy. We have a few interesting

> heirlooms around the estate. But the boy has a stubborn streak wider than

> the Great Rift. He had it in his head that it was his father's place to be

> his patron, and none other. We were told that he had become a priest after

> the fact, and all offers of further aid were rebuffed. I wish I could

> blame his pride and stubbornness on Lord Cor, but I fear our family has a

> generous portion of it as well.”

I like Anomen's grandmother :D Can I have her? Mine are all annoying lol

> Silently Anomen wrapped her in his arms and hugged her. She held him as

> tightly as she could, and for a moment he felt like a little boy again,

> running to his grandmother with a skinned knee. He felt his throat tighten

> and knew he was on the verge of tears. But his grief was still too painful

> to acknowledge, and he fought to bring his emotions back under control.

Very emotional...

> Now that half-elven woman, for example. No matter where she was or who she

> spoke with, her attention was focused on Jarran. She watched him with a

> hawkish concern. Sirelle had heard many tales of the great skald of

> Candlekeep, and was certain he had many enemies. This other woman seemed

> determined to see any danger to him before it could strike. A good person

> to have at one's side… in more ways than one, if she read the glances

> correctly.

Perceptive woman, wish half hte people you met in the game had half this woman's intelligence. It would make everything so much easier.

> “Just remember that my home is open to you, should you ever need to speak

> to me. I consider you my friends, and I will be sorry to see all of you

> go. Well, all but Jan.”

LOL!

Loved it! The conversation with Blethyn was also very interesting.

#3 Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 27 December 2001 - 10:46 PM

> Many a story of a squire's pranks or a knight's foibles was shared, much to

> the delight of all the guests.

De-tails! De-tails! :D

> Jan's toast, however, had to be brought to a sudden finale when it went on

> for so long that Jarran threatened to dunk him in a canal.

Just threatened? Jarran, you're too kind.

> “Not a copper. I have a sneaking suspicion that by wandering the city in

> battered armor and threadbare clothes he hoped to shame his father into

> supporting him.

Is that boozehead even capable of feeling shame? :)

> He could see that he hadn't fooled Sirelle for a moment. “Anomen, I have no

> words to tell you how sorry I am. When I heard of Moira's death I was

> devastated. Cor… your father wouldn't let me into the house to pray over

> her ashes.

GRRR! I hope something is going to happen to Cor.

> Silently Anomen wrapped her in his arms and hugged her. She held him as

> and knew he was on the verge of tears.

Great big "Aww!" moment.

> This other woman seemed determined to see any danger to him before it could

> strike. A good person to have at one's side… in more ways than one, if she

> read the glances correctly.

So there's Jaheira! I've missed her. More on her soon, please?

> Rather than be insulted, Blethyn grinned. “You never have approved of me,

> Sirelle, but I think libertine is going a bit far. I was with Darlan for

> five years, and would be with him still if he hadn't…” The grin faded from

> his face.

HA! My gaydar's still working, I see. *happy grin* Thanks a bunch -- I'm almost as starved for gay characters of either gender as I am for strong female characters. ;)

> Keldorn's eyebrows rose. “I had wondered why he was so frequently assigned

> to other knights. You asked Blethyn to leave him behind?”

Gee, that's nice. If this is your way of making Sirelle slightly less universally loveable, you've succeeded. :)

> Blethyn caught Keldorn's inquiring glance and shook his head. “Cor wasted

> no time in taunting him with it as soon as he discovered that I was, as he

> put it, a depraved perversion of manhood.

*snarl* That ... bastard is one to talk! Couldn't someone "accidentally" drop a warhammer on his skull? Or even "just" do a Bobbit on him?

> Blethyn growled. “A pity we've never been able to catch Cor at anything.

> I'd love to see that smirking bastard in front of a judge. Or better

> still, at the end of my sword.

I hear you!

> go.

So this is it? No more Keldorn in the next installment? :)

*sniff*

> Well, all but Jan.”

Heh. Now who else saw that coming?

#4 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 27 December 2001 - 11:19 PM

> Blethyn nodded. “Tell me, Sir Keldorn, did Sirelle's precautions work? Is

> my young cousin still pure and virtuous, or have I corrupted him

> completely?”

> Keldorn just smiled and said, “He has formed no attachments that I know

> of, so I could not say. I doubt, however, that any time spent with you

> influenced him one way or the other.”

I loved this section with Sirelle, Keldorn and Blethyn, Silrana. I hope to see more of all three of them. And of their various relationships with Anomen. Your Order of the Radiant Heart seems a much healthier place than mine.

-Meg

#5 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 27 December 2001 - 11:27 PM

> Gee, that's nice. If this is your way of making Sirelle slightly less

> universally loveable, you've succeeded. :)

It seemed very English-aristocracy to me. "Oh we all know it goes on, and aren't they all nice young chaps, but I wouldn't wish it on my grandson."

I'm thinking about the sexuality of my characters now, although I suspect my Amn is a much less tolerant place. But there's one whose plot would really make sense if...

Thanks for the thought ;)

-Meg.

#6 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 27 December 2001 - 11:32 PM

> Jarran must be the only modest bard in the Realms. ;)

As a Bhaalspawn he's learned the value of keeping a low profile.

> I like Anomen's grandmother :) Can I have her? Mine are all annoying lol

*grin*

> Very emotional...

He's still not over Moira... it hasn't been that long since he found out she was dead.

> Perceptive woman, wish half hte people you met in the game had half this

> woman's intelligence. It would make everything so much easier.

Or harder, depending on which side they were on.

> LOL!

> Loved it! The conversation with Blethyn was also very interesting.

Glad you liked it!

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 27 December 2001 - 11:43 PM

> De-tails! De-tails! :D

And all the knights present go "Shhhhh!"

> Just threatened? Jarran, you're too kind.

Well, Jan did shut up, so...

> Is that boozehead even capable of feeling shame? :)

Actually, yes, but that's for another chapter.

> GRRR! I hope something is going to happen to Cor.

Wait and see.

> Great big "Aww!" moment.

Sometimes you just need a hug.

> So there's Jaheira! I've missed her. More on her soon, please?

Oh yes. The romance will be warming up shortly.

> HA! My gaydar's still working, I see. *happy grin* Thanks a bunch -- I'm

> almost as starved for gay characters of either gender as I am for strong

> female characters. ;)

Always glad to please.

> Gee, that's nice. If this is your way of making Sirelle slightly less

> universally loveable, you've succeeded. :)

Oh, she had her reasons. And think for a moment how much more hell Cor would have put Anomen through if he and Blethyn had spent a lot of time alone.

> *snarl* That ... bastard is one to talk! Couldn't someone

> "accidentally" drop a warhammer on his skull? Or even

> "just" do a Bobbit on him?

> I hear you!

*grin* Lord Cor, the universal punching bag.

> So this is it? No more Keldorn in the next installment? :)

> *sniff*

Not in the next one, but he'll wander through occasionally.

> Heh. Now who else saw that coming?

*chuckles* Did you expect Keldorn to feel any other way?

#8 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 27 December 2001 - 11:50 PM

> I loved this section with Sirelle, Keldorn and Blethyn, Silrana. I hope to

> see more of all three of them. And of their various relationships with

> Anomen. Your Order of the Radiant Heart seems a much healthier place than

> mine.

> -Meg

Thanks. And as far as the Order goes... I got to thinking that for all practical purposes they are in hostile territory. They are trying to uphold standards of good and virtue in a place where the only recognized values are based on money. In a situation like that, an organization is usually going to go one of two ways. Either be very hardcore as a defense against 'corrupting influences' of any kind, or be a bit more relaxed about some things because they would figure it was hard enough to get decent people. I felt the second way fit better with the NPCs the PC encounters.

#9 Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 28 December 2001 - 12:45 AM

> I'm thinking about the sexuality of my characters now, although I suspect my

> Amn is a much less tolerant place.

Well, as I've said before, I prefer my fantasy environment to be somewhat tolerant ... but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if Amn isn't the most open-minded of places. IIRC, its people are pretty xenophobic, too.

> But there's one whose plot would really make sense if...

Oh? Now I'm curious ...

> Thanks for the thought :)

Hey!!

While I'm always happy if I manage to inspire someone, sometimes you writers drive me insane with your teasing and your veiled hints. :)

*jumps up and down*

I'm not the most patient of readers, you see. Not when it comes to waiting for a new installment. ;)

#10 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 28 December 2001 - 01:03 AM

> Oh? Now I'm curious ...

> Hey!!

> While I'm always happy if I manage to inspire someone, sometimes you

> writers drive me insane with your teasing and your veiled hints. :)

> *jumps up and down*

> I'm not the most patient of readers, you see. Not when it comes to waiting

> for a new installment. ;)

Hehehe, though she's not the first to have that thought cross her mind. If she's refering to who I think, it even occurs to someone in the game!

#11 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 28 December 2001 - 02:27 AM

> Jan's toast,

> however, had to be brought to a sudden finale when it went on for so long

> that Jarran threatened to dunk him in a canal.

ROFL! Funny how your Jan exasperates some of us, and others like me really like him! Can only mean that you write him well.

> The silver-haired woman gave him a saucy wink. “That depends on how

> personal the question.”

> Jarran chuckled. “Not that personal, I assure you. I was told how Anomen

> struggled with little money and equipment, and yet…”

Hehe, nice touch.

> I wish I could

Cor so deserves something spiky and nasty horizontally inserted in... okay okay I'll calm down.

> “He did that?” she gasped in shock. “I never would have dreamed he would

> go so far.” She composed herself, then laid her hand on his arm. “You

> always have a home with the Costmars. Remember that, Anomen. You are still

> very much a part of your mother's family, if not your father's.”

BAWL. Good that poor Ano still has some, and I might add better, family.

> Blethyn caught Keldorn's inquiring glance and shook his head. “Cor wasted

> no time in taunting him with it as soon as he discovered that I was, as he

> put it, a depraved perversion of manhood. Anomen said that his father

> called me the perfect example of a knight.”

> Keldorn sighed. “Why am I not surprised? Cor has never let an opportunity

> to be cruel go by.”

Grrr.... must-read-again-the-story-where-Whisper-kills-Cor...

Great one. I really wish I had time to catch up with this ;) I don't get half the stuff that is going on, nor do I really know the protagonist.

#12 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 28 December 2001 - 02:59 AM

> ROFL! Funny how your Jan exasperates some of us, and others like me really

> like him! Can only mean that you write him well.

*grin* I try.

> Hehe, nice touch.

When I was writing this I was in serious danger of making Sirelle a Mary Sue.

> Cor so deserves something spiky and nasty horizontally inserted in... okay

> okay I'll calm down.

Hehe, you and me and hundreds of other women would be lining up for the chance to do it personally.

> BAWL. Good that poor Ano still has some, and I might add better, family.

Well, Moirala's family is never mentioned at all in the game, leaving it free for the enterprising fanfic writer to grab it and run.

> Grrr.... must-read-again-the-story-where-Whisper-kills-Cor...

Ah, yes, I go back and read that one every so often myself. It conjures up such lovely visions...

> Great one. I really wish I had time to catch up with this ;) I don't get

> half the stuff that is going on, nor do I really know the protagonist.

Parts 1-50 are on the Novels page, and the parts after that you've probably seen since they're pretty recent. At least when you have the time to read them you won't have to hunt for them. I hope you get a chance soon.

#13 Arcalian

Posted 28 December 2001 - 05:03 AM

> The Firecam home was brightly lit with hundreds of candles, and the sound

> of laughter rang through the halls. The revelers had been treated to good

> food and good drink, and had regaled one another with humorous tales. Many

> a story of a squire's pranks or a knight's foibles was shared, much to the

> delight of all the guests. Anomen had been repeatedly toasted, which he

> had received with a mixture of delight and embarrassment

Ah, that would be a party to see.

> Jarran told her about the battle against Firkraag, politely pointing out

> Anomen's bravery, then told her a slightly edited version of the defeat of

> the beholder cult. She was indeed truly interested, and not merely making

> polite conversation, because he was impressed by the intelligent questions

> she asked about his tactics and how he had reached certain conclusions.

I'm sure he left out the bit where he says "Well you see I'm one of a number of children of a dead Evil God......"

> “Grandmother, I… I have no home. Father has disowned me because I refused

> to kill the man he suspects of being involved in her death.”

> “He did that?” she gasped in shock. “I never would have dreamed he would

> go so far.” She composed herself, then laid her hand on his arm. “You

> always have a home with the Costmars. Remember that, Anomen. You are still

> very much a part of your mother's family, if not your father's.”

*Powermbombs Cor through a table*

I've half a mind to let my Anomen throttle Cor to death with the Flail of Ages, but that would deprive him of his estate. And since he's going to fail his knighthood, he'll need something to fall back on. Hmmmm.....

> “No, but your libertine ways would not have set a good example.”

> his face. “When Moirala asked me to take Anomen as my squire, Darlan's

> ashes weren't even cold. I was hardly in any mood to go carousing.”

> Sirelle shot Keldorn an apologetic glance. “Perhaps we should save this

> discussion for another time.”

> “I doubt it is any secret to Sir Keldorn. Darlan and I were discreet, but

> we made no attempt to hide our relationship.”

> Keldorn nodded. “I already knew. Blethyn is not the only such knight in

> the Order, Sirelle.”

> “I know that perfectly well, but when Anomen became a squire he was still

> naïve in many ways. I still think he was better served by being allowed to

> mature away from such matters.”

> Blethyn gave her a mock bow, the twinkle back in his eyes. “And I have

> honored your request by only being with Anomen when we were serving with

> other knights and squires so that he had plenty of opportunities to

> compare me with other knights.”

> Keldorn's eyebrows rose. “I had wondered why he was so frequently assigned

> to other knights. You asked Blethyn to leave him behind?”

> She shot Blethyn an amused look. “For all his avowals of commitment, he

> did begin to look for new companionship before very long. I did not want

> Anomen exposed to the sort of company Blethyn keeps. How he maintains his

> paladinship, I will never know.”

> The blonde knight chuckled. “Sirelle, Tyr has no complaints with my

> behavior, which is far less scandalous than you imagine.”

> “Perhaps Tyr's blindness works to your favor. I wonder what the Watcher

> would think?”

> Keldorn raised his hands. “Now, now, there is no reason to bring the gods

> into this, even in jest.”

> “Blethyn knows I meant Tyr no disrespect. This is an old subject for the

> two of us, one that lost its sting long ago.”

*raises eyebrow* Very interesting twist, here.

> Jarran chuckled. “Your grandmother is a very interesting woman, Anomen.”

> “And well I know it, my friend. I have her and my grandfather to thank for

> who I am today. I spent a mere handful of summers at their home, but those

> times showed me what happiness was. Were it not for them, I might have

> become as twisted and bitter as my father.” He shook his head, a

> thoughtful look on his face. “They despise Cor, and were terribly

> disappointed that my mother fell in love with him, yet they never held

> that against Moira and me. When we were there, we were just two more

> Costmar grandchildren, as precious as any of our cousins. I have seen many

> people who have not been as forgiving, and have divided their families

> forever.”

*nods slowly* Anomen does need other anchors, doesn't he?

> The two men were joined by Keldorn who, Jarran could not help but notice,

> looked younger and happier than he had ever seen him. “Well, Jarran, at

> least when you leave for your next adventure you will still have a knight

> of the Order with you.”

> “Yes,” the bard said with a grin. “I will miss you, Keldorn, but I think

> Anomen will do quite well as your replacement as our resident knight.”

> Anomen blushed deeply. “You flatter me, Jarran. A man would have to serve

> many years to even approach Sir Keldorn's level. I… I will miss you as

> well, sir.”

Mmm. Who will replace him?

The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#14 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 28 December 2001 - 05:13 AM

> Hey!!

> While I'm always happy if I manage to inspire someone, sometimes you

> writers drive me insane with your teasing and your veiled hints. :(

> *jumps up and down*

> I'm not the most patient of readers, you see. Not when it comes to waiting

> for a new installment. ;)

Awww... OK, I can give you a little spoiler then...

What exactly is the relationship between Renal Bloodscalp and Oryal Forestal anyway? (We know from one part that Renal currently has a female lover but...) And just how tolerant are the Shadow Thieves do you think?

-Meg.

Darkstar

#15 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 28 December 2001 - 05:16 AM

> Hehehe, though she's not the first to have that thought cross her mind. If

> she's refering to who I think, it even occurs to someone in the game!

I'm not referring to any of the NPCs, although of course there are a couple who you could quite easily write as gay. My party is going to be fairly asexual after my conclusion to the Anomen romance (due about part 16 or 17 I think, but my story tends to expand a bit). They've all got too much recent tragedy.

-Meg.

Darkstar

#16 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 28 December 2001 - 05:56 AM

> The Firecam home was brightly lit with hundreds of candles,

And thousands of bonfires soon enough.

> Jan's toast,

Most amusing! Gnome dunking!

> Jarran told her about the battle against Firkraag

Yes, that trifling little problem. I'd smirk in bemusement if this Jarran ever had to deal with the Cult of the Dragon.

> politely pointing out

> Anomen's bravery

You must really stop telling jokes Silrana. Even I can only laugh so much.

> he was impressed by the intelligent questions

> she asked about his tactics and how he had reached certain conclusions.

Intelligent questions at this 'Attic'? Truly a rare phenomenon.

> After he finished his tales, she nodded thoughtfully. “I see that my

> grandson has had excellent companions to help him through the difficult

> days before his Test. I hope he is allowed to continue with you.”

I've got an excellent test for 'Sir' Anomen.

> “He wouldn't take help from his own grandparents?”

Not taking advantage of the opportunities presented is foolish.

> Anomen felt himself reddening.

I'll wager that happens on a nightly basis.

> He felt his throat tighten

> and knew he was on the verge of tears.

Typical.

> “Ah, speaking of friends, that reminds me. Lord Anter has passed away.”

At least we have some good news.

> spoke with, her attention was focused on Jarran.

Nothing like a half-breed to ruin a party.

> A good person

> correctly.

How utterly crude.

> “To be able to bring together this lovely a party with such little

> preparation time is an admirable skill.”

I once arranged the torture of thousands of heretical Banites. I see little accomplishment here.

> “Perhaps Tyr's blindness works to your favor.

Tyr's blindness has worked in my favor enumerable times.

> I wonder what the Watcher

> would think?”

Most likely too busy shining his tarnished armor to attempt anything near a coherent thought that didn't involve policing by his own misguided 'virtue', armor, misguided duty, armor, blind reflection or armor.

> Keldorn raised his hands. “Now, now, there is no reason to bring the gods

> into this, even in jest.”

I find much amusement with your unworthy gods.

> “And well I know it, my friend.

The standard Anomen tagline, 'My friend'. "I agree with you my friend." "I think this a righteous course of action my friend." "Helm is a fool for taking me into his clergy my friend."

So far the shortling has brought about the slightest bit of amusement.

Well Silrana, you've accomplished to almost bring something resembling enjoyment from me. There was nearly a chance that I'd congratulate you for that.

Cyric

-------------------

The Black Sun

The Dark Sun

Prince of Lies

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

#17 Laufey

Posted 28 December 2001 - 09:56 AM

> . Anomen had been repeatedly toasted, which he

> had received with a mixture of delight and embarrassment. Jan's toast,

*grin* That's Jan, all right!

Yes, that would explain things. Poor Anomen.

> “He wouldn't take help from his own grandparents?”

> “Not a copper. I have a sneaking suspicion that by wandering the city in

> battered armor and threadbare clothes he hoped to shame his father into

> supporting him. Alas, Cor's hatred of the Order outweighed even that.”

Cor...grrr...Cor...grrr

Vadrak Dekaras: The writer seems to have had some sort of fit. Simply allow me to point out that any man who would treat his own child like that deserves a most painful fate.

Whisper: *grin* Well, I took care of that, didn't I?

Vadrak Dekaras: So you did, young colleague. Perhaps we should dig him up, resurrect him and do it again?

Laufey: Ah...sorry. Cor just has that effect on me. Back to the story.

> “Actually, no, for if Father and Mother had never married I never would

> have known the joy of having Moira for a sister.” He swallowed hard,

> trying to hide his emotions.

> He could see that he hadn't fooled Sirelle for a moment. “Anomen, I have

> no words to tell you how sorry I am. When I heard of Moira's death I was

> devastated. Cor… your father wouldn't let me into the house to pray over

> her ashes. Perhaps you could pray for me the next time you are home.”

> “Grandmother, I… I have no home. Father has disowned me because I refused

> to kill the man he suspects of being involved in her death.”

See comments above...

>> Silently Anomen wrapped her in his arms and hugged her. She held him as

> and knew he was on the verge of tears. But his grief was still too painful

> to acknowledge, and he fought to bring his emotions back under control.

*sniff* Well, at least the poor man has *some* family left.

> “The same could be said for you, Sir Keldorn. I am especially impressed by

> your abilities as a teacher. Anomen has bloomed under your tutelage.”

> “I only did what I could to bring his qualities to the surface, my lady.

> He already possessed all the traits of a good knight, he merely needed the

> discipline to focus them.”

Can I say once more how much I like your Keldorn? He's just perfect.

>> “I doubt it is any secret to Sir Keldorn. Darlan and I were discreet, but

> we made no attempt to hide our relationship.”

> Keldorn nodded. “I already knew. Blethyn is not the only such knight in

> the Order, Sirelle.”

Oh, that was interesting, and adds realism to the story.

>> Anomen blushed deeply. “You flatter me, Jarran. A man would have to serve

> well, sir.”

The New and Improved Anomen. ;)

*grin*

Rogues do it from behind.

#18 Weyoun

Posted 28 December 2001 - 10:18 AM

> The Firecam home was brightly lit with hundreds of candles, and the sound

> of laughter rang through the halls. The revelers had been treated to good

> food and good drink, and had regaled one another with humorous tales. Many

> a story of a squire's pranks or a knight's foibles was shared, much to the

> delight of all the guests. Anomen had been repeatedly toasted, which he

> had received with a mixture of delight and embarrassment. Jan's toast,

Hey, that wasn't a very nice thing to say. Especially not after Jan was telling us about his uncle Clarence who had been given a mechanical arms. Could lift the moon itself it was said. Unfortunately, the onces who said that were drinks. Anyway, one day, uncle Clarence came across a couple of muggers who tried to steal his toupee. So uncle Clarence... *anvil slams against Weyoun's head*

> She gave him a slow smile. “The first thing you must learn about me, my

> lad, is that I know many things. People like to tell me things, you see,

> especially if I like them. That is my talent, and it has served me well.

> So there is no need for you to be modest. At the moment you are easily the

> most talked-about bard in Amn.”

High praise indeed!

*grins* Subbornness : A quality Anomen has in abundance...

> “Sir Anomen. That has such a lovely ring.”

Heh, he's transmitting 'Pride'-rays all through Athkatla right now. ;)

> Anomen felt himself reddening. “And you felt I needed one?”

I'm guessing : Yep!

> spoke with, her attention was focused on Jarran. She watched him with a

> hawkish concern. Sirelle had heard many tales of the great skald of

> Candlekeep, and was certain he had many enemies. This other woman seemed

> determined to see any danger to him before it could strike. A good person

> correctly.

Heh, she KNOWS! *grins*

> his face. “When Moirala asked me to take Anomen as my squire, Darlan's

> ashes weren't even cold. I was hardly in any mood to go carousing.”

*grin* Nice family he has, ey? Except for that one Cor fellow, of course...

> She shot Blethyn an amused look. “For all his avowals of commitment, he

> did begin to look for new companionship before very long. I did not want

> Anomen exposed to the sort of company Blethyn keeps. How he maintains his

> paladinship, I will never know.”

Heheheheh Blethyn the Partying Paladin : Last spotted heading towards Fort Lauderdale during springtime. :D

> The blonde knight chuckled. “Sirelle, Tyr has no complaints with my

> behavior, which is far less scandalous than you imagine.”

> “Perhaps Tyr's blindness works to your favor. I wonder what the Watcher

> would think?”

Now is he talking about the incident involving a Drow Matron, whipped cream and an drunk tarantula? *Second anvil slams against Weyoun's head* :D

> “And well I know it, my friend. I have her and my grandfather to thank for

> who I am today. I spent a mere handful of summers at their home, but those

> times showed me what happiness was. Were it not for them, I might have

> become as twisted and bitter as my father.” He shook his head, a

> thoughtful look on his face. “They despise Cor, and were terribly

> disappointed that my mother fell in love with him, yet they never held

> that against Moira and me. When we were there, we were just two more

> Costmar grandchildren, as precious as any of our cousins. I have seen many

> people who have not been as forgiving, and have divided their families

> forever.”

Like I said. A really nice family excepting that dork Cor.

> The two men were joined by Keldorn who, Jarran could not help but notice,

> looked younger and happier than he had ever seen him. “Well, Jarran, at

> least when you leave for your next adventure you will still have a knight

> of the Order with you.”

> “Yes,” the bard said with a grin. “I will miss you, Keldorn, but I think

> Anomen will do quite well as your replacement as our resident knight.”

> Anomen blushed deeply. “You flatter me, Jarran. A man would have to serve

> well, sir.”

Awwww, a sad goodbye. You know, I still intend to keep Keldorn until the bitter end, but now I feel kinda guilty about it. :(

Hey, that wasn't a very nice thing to say! And he has so many cool stories to tell as well! What about his uncle... *third anvil slams against Weyoun's head*

Okay, okay! I can take a hint! (barely). I liked the story!

---Weyoun

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#19 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 28 December 2001 - 11:53 AM

> Ah, that would be a party to see.

It would be fun, all right.

> I'm sure he left out the bit where he says "Well you see I'm one of a

> number of children of a dead Evil God......"

And the part where he says "and the rift device and my Bhaal essence were fighting".

> *Powermbombs Cor through a table*

> I've half a mind to let my Anomen throttle Cor to death with the Flail of

> Ages, but that would deprive him of his estate. And since he's going to

> fail his knighthood, he'll need something to fall back on. Hmmmm.....

Eeerp. Just remember to be nice to him after he fails his test, or he'll be trying to throttle *you*.

> *raises eyebrow* Very interesting twist, here.

Thank you.

> *nods slowly* Anomen does need other anchors, doesn't he?

Well, there had to be some explanation for why he wasn't a jerk like his father.

> Mmm. Who will replace him?

*smiles* Wait and see.

#20 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 28 December 2001 - 12:05 PM

> And thousands of bonfires soon enough.

Bucket Brigade!

> Most amusing! Gnome dunking!

It does have a certain appeal.

> Yes, that trifling little problem. I'd smirk in bemusement if this Jarran

> ever had to deal with the Cult of the Dragon.

Now, perhaps, but when he reaches his full powers...

> You must really stop telling jokes Silrana. Even I can only laugh so much.

You are capable of laughter? Now who's joking?

> Intelligent questions at this 'Attic'? Truly a rare phenomenon.

Not as rare as all that, one must simply have the wit to appreciate them.

> I've got an excellent test for 'Sir' Anomen.

Hmmm.

> Not taking advantage of the opportunities presented is foolish.

But human. You *do* remember being human, don't you?

> I'll wager that happens on a nightly basis.

Naughty!

> Typical.

It's that mortal thing again.

> At least we have some good news.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that he died of natural causes.

> Nothing like a half-breed to ruin a party.

Nothing like a malicious god to throw slurs haphazardly.

> How utterly crude.

Her thoughts are her own.

> I once arranged the torture of thousands of heretical Banites. I see

> little accomplishment here.

Banites screaming... *sighs happily*

> Tyr's blindness has worked in my favor enumerable times.

> Most likely too busy shining his tarnished armor to attempt anything near

> a coherent thought that didn't involve policing by his own misguided

> 'virtue', armor, misguided duty, armor, blind reflection or armor.

> I find much amusement with your unworthy gods.

Please, I don't want to have to dodge lightening bolts!

> The standard Anomen tagline, 'My friend'. "I agree with you my

> friend." "I think this a righteous course of action my

> friend." "Helm is a fool for taking me into his clergy my

> friend."

You're just jealous because nobody would ever call you 'friend'.

> So far the shortling has brought about the slightest bit of amusement.

A touch, I confess.

> Well Silrana, you've accomplished to almost bring something resembling

> enjoyment from me. There was nearly a chance that I'd congratulate you for

> that.

And there was nearly a chance I would thank you for the compliment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com