A Cappella Part 49 - Cleaning Up

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 08 October 2001 - 03:01 AM

Jarran strode up the aisle to the stage of his playhouse. The actors were bickering over the interpretation of a line when they were startled by the loud thud of a bundle of papers hitting the wooden boards.

"All right," he growled. "There is your script. Learn it."

Higgold the director and the actors huddled around the script, slowly turning pages as they went through his changes. He stood with his arms crossed and a stony expression on his face, hoping that no hint of the butterflies he felt showed through. When a squabble over improvised lines and re-written scenes had broken out, he had taken charge of the situation by re-writing the play himself.

Finally they reached the end. Zaren looked up with a grin. "This... this script is wonderful, patron!" Jarran's nervousness subsided only slightly. Zaren had been the first to suggest changes, so naturally he would react positively.

Higgold nodded thoughtfully. "I agree. If anything, you have made the Turmish play better than it was. Congratulations, patron, you have done the impossible."

Iltheia drawled, "And finally something we can actually learn! I can't believe we're making changes to the Turmish play, though..."

Higgold clapped his hands loudly. "Well, this is the script we're using and that's final. I don't want to hear any complaints about it, so off you go. We've wasted enough time, so let's get started." After the actors had moved away, he said in a low voice, "I am surprised that there was not more objection. There are those in the theatre world who believe the Turmish play is nigh on sacred, and to change a single word is blasphemy."

Jarran snorted. "Nonsense. The play needed revision. The romance was overly melodramatic and some of the lines were more humorous than touching, and they weren't intended to be! The Karenina character had so little sense I couldn't imagine why Velden would fall in love with her. 'Sorcerer's Bane' is not all it is cracked up to be."

"Shhh!" Higgold looked around nervously. "Please, patron, I would prefer you refer to it as the Turmish play. Some of the actors get upset so easily."

"Superstitious nonsense. Oh, if it will keep you from jumping out of your skin I won't use its real name."

Jarran watched the rehearsal, and was so engrossed in making mental notes that he was startled to hear a voice at his side. "So you have managed to placate them once again. I never imagined you would take the playhouse this seriously."

"I have to, Jaheira. If I hadn't planned to do my best, I never would have taken on the responsibility."

"Responsibilities... yes, we have many of them these days, do we not? Keldorn with his cult problem, the situation in Trademeet, this playhouse... we have many who turn to us for help."

Jarran sighed. "And all I want to do is go get Imoen. We have enough money now. Why... something is holding me back, and I don't know what."

The druid looked at him thoughtfully. "Let us go to your office. We should talk."

They retreated to the quiet back room that served as Jarran's private sanctuary. He settled down into his chair with a sense of relief, then stirred. "Someone's been sitting in my chair!"

"How do you know?"

"I had the cushions just right, and they've moved."

"Oh. Well. I... it was me."

"You?"

"I wanted a place to think, and you seem to find this a peaceful spot, so..."

"It's all right, I don't mind if it's you. What did you want to talk about?"

"There is something you are keeping from us... from me."

He stared at her for a long moment. Finally he said hoarsely, "I'm... troubled about finding this prison."

"Why?"

"He's there, too."

"Ah," she said with understanding. "You still fear Irenicus?"

"No... yes... it's so hard to explain. I know we will be able to fight him when the time comes, but there's something... There's something I can't bring to the surface of my mind. I just remember being afraid. Very, very afraid." He closed his eyes and swallowed hard.

"Of course you were afraid. We were in that terrible place for many weeks."

"No, this is something else. Something that I'm sure if I remembered it, it would drive me insane. He did something to me too terrible to face, and knowing that it frightened me that badly is terrifying in itself."

Jaheira placed her hand on his arm. "What could he have done that was so awful?"

"I don't know and I'm not sure I want to know. He's... he's been in my dreams, too."

"Dreams? You mean... those dreams?"

"Yes. He taunts me and insists I have no choice but to accept my heritage. Even in my sleep he torments me."

"But surely it is not Irenicus causing those dreams."

"No. But it is interesting that my mind chooses him to be the face of evil. And Imoen is there as well, my voice of reason. By the gods, I miss her, Jaheira."

She seemed to study him. "Perhaps you need something to improve your confidence. Something to remind you of the man you were before we were captured. Whenever you deal with the actors, for all your aggravation, it seems to give you strength, for it reminds you of why you became a bard. We need to discover how to bring the old Jarran back."

"The old Jarran?" he said with a laugh. "The headstrong boy stumbling from crisis to crisis? Come to think of it, perhaps nothing has changed."

"There has to be something... I have it. Your hair."

"My...what?!"

"You came out of Irenicus' dungeon looking as if you were a barbarian rather than an educated bard. Who would think to look at you that you were raised among monks? I doubt Gorion would recognize you."

"I suppose not. But I don't feel like the person I was in Baldur's Gate. I can't recapture that... innocence with a haircut."

"No, but it will make the man you face in the mirror seem less of a stranger."

"Oh, well, it can't hurt."

They went upstairs to their quarters. Jaheira found a comb and a pair of scissors and set to work.

The first thing that they discovered is that Jarran's long thick hair was full of snarls and tangles. The resulting profanity as Jaheira tried to remove them would have impressed a sailor. Kay roused from the pillow he had been sleeping on and zipped out of the room.

"If you are going to wail like an infant," she snapped, "then I suppose I must get a basin of water and wash this... this rat's nest. Stay." She walked out in a huff, leaving Jarran feeling foolish.

While she was gone, Keldorn returned. He had left that morning while Jarran worked on the play. The knight stopped, his eyebrows raised as he stared at the bard. Jarran could feel himself blushing. Jaheira had left his hair sticking out at assorted odd angles. "Jaheira's, ah, cutting my hair."

"It would appear she has abandoned the field of battle."

"She went for water to wash it. How are you feeling today, my friend?"

"A bit better. I went to the Order to gather some information, and then I went to my temple. I... I walked past my home, but I knew I could not enter. Are we still to start our investigation of the cult tomorrow?"

"Unless something comes up to change our plans."

"Excellent. I will confess I look forward to the distraction."

Jaheira returned with a basin of steaming water. "All right, dunk your head into this. I will get your hair clean if I must scrub the whole night."

"I washed it just the other day in the stream," he protested.

"Ha! These snarls say differently. When was the last time you used a comb?"

"Jaheira!"

At that moment she noticed that Keldorn had returned and stared at him intently. "Ah, you are back. Tell me, are you feeling well? You do not seem yourself. If you need healing..."

"I am fit enough, Jaheira, but thank you all the same. I did not sleep well, nothing more."

Jaheira gave a small snort, obviously not completely believing the paladin. She set to lathering Jarran's hair with soap. He closed his eyes, secretly enjoying the feel of her fingers massaging his scalp. Just when he felt that he could fall asleep from the relaxation, she rinsed the soap out and returned to her struggle with his tangles.

"Ow! Slow down! Youch!" Jarran howled.

"Cease your complaining!"

"Bloody hells, just shave it off, it would be less painful!"

"Nonsense."

Anomen and Minsc returned, the concern on their faces changing to grins when they saw where the cries of pain were coming from. "That's right, everyone enjoy my agony," Jarran growled.

"Perhaps you should have come with us to Cromwell's. A blacksmith's forge would have been safer," Anomen laughed.

"I'm sure he did quite well with two strong assistants. The armor looks good on you, Minsc."

Minsc grinned. "Evil will flee in terror when they see red justice approaching!"

I certainly would if I saw him coming after me. Jarran had to admit that the sight of Minsc in red dragon armor was truly impressive. "Well, at least... dammit, Jaheira... at least I don't have Jan telling me some long tale about a relative getting his hair eaten by a griffin. Where is he, anyway?"

Jaheira snorted. "He was playing cards with some halflings downstairs when I saw him last."

"Jaheira, watch that comb! You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am. It is very entertaining to watch you whine over such a small thing as hair."

"Minsc doesn't know why you are this way, Jarran. Boo says you were very brave in the wizard's dungeon."

"That was different. I didn't want to let that bastard have any more satisfaction than I had to."

"Then give me the satisfaction of holding still. I almost have your tangles out," Jaheira said.

"My, aren't we being pleasant?"

"What do you expect me to do while I am wrestling with this hair, read you love poetry?"

"It would be more entertaining then having my neck wrenched this way and that."

"Well, I do not know any. Maybe your friends do."

Keldorn said thoughtfully, "I have not read poetry to Maria in many years... ex-excuse me." He left the room quickly.

"Minsc is sorry, but he does not read poetry. Boo tells me some, sometimes, but it is not love poetry."

Then, much to everyone's surprise, Anomen started reciting.

"Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest

Is my lover among the young men.

I delight to sit in his shade

And his fruit is sweet to my taste.

He had taken me to the banquet hall

And his banner over me is love.

Strengthen me with raisins,

Refresh me with apples,

For I am faint with love."*

Jarran gave the priest an amazed stare. "I didn't know you had it in you, Anomen."

Anomen blushed slightly. "I cannot take credit, my friend, I did not write it. It was one of my mother's favorites."

"Your mother?"

"Mother was frequently ill. I am sorry to say that she sickened easily. When she was confined to her bed, Moira and I would read to her to take her mind off her troubles. She was especially fond of romantic stories and poems."

"Boo thinks it was very pretty, but now Minsc is hungry."

They all laughed. Jaheira said with a chuckle, "Well, your hair is finally free of snarls. Now, how do you want me to cut it? As it was in Baldur's Gate?"

"No... no, that was too short. Leave it about at my shoulders."

"That will still be a tremendous improvement, my friend. And I am sure you would like me to trim your beard."

"Just as long as..."

"I will not trim it so short that your scars show through," she said in a low voice. She began to cut the thick mane while Jarran continued to complain of her rough treatment.

At last she was finished, and handed Jarran a hand mirror. "Well?"

Jarran felt a bit of a shock when he looked at his reflection. The man looking back did not look as haggard as he had before. He looked more confident, more in control of his life. At the same time, he could tell that the youthful sparkle that had been there the year before was gone. There was no innocence, no naiveté left in his gaze. Whether or not this new appearance would have the positive result that Jaheira hoped for, only time would tell.

"I think... that it's an improvement. Thank you, Jaheira."

"I just hope it helps you forget... well, you understand." She looked embarrassed, but she met his gaze without turning aside.

The intense look that passed between them was interrupted by a small streak running through the room. Jan dove under one of the beds. "If a halfling comes looking for me, I've left Amn and won't be back."

"Cheating at cards, Jan?"

"Never! Just a slight disagreement on how many ace of griffins there are in a deck. Just pretend you don't know me and everything will be fine. What's with the hair, anyway?"

* Song of Songs, chapter 2, verses 3-5, The Bible

#2 Requiem

Posted 08 October 2001 - 03:31 AM

> Jarran strode up the aisle to the stage of his playhouse. The actors were

> bickering over the interpretation of a line when they were startled by the

> loud thud of a bundle of papers hitting the wooden boards.

> "All right," he growled. "There is your script. Learn

> it."

Oooo....very impressive... Yes, sir!

> They retreated to the quiet back room that served as Jarran's private

> sanctuary. He settled down into his chair with a sense of relief, then

> stirred. "Someone's been sitting in my chair!"

*grin* For a brief minute there I thought we were heading into a version of the Three Bears!

> He stared at her for a long moment. Finally he said hoarsely, "I'm...

> troubled about finding this prison."

Good insight. It does make sense. I know most of us were running around just to do the quests, but in *reality* it would be rather intimidating to have to face Irenicus again.

> "No, this is something else. Something that I'm sure if I remembered

> it, it would drive me insane. He did something to me too terrible to face,

> and knowing that it frightened me that badly is terrifying in

> itself."

Hmmmm...I think I smell a plot twist coming.

> "I suppose not. But I don't feel like the person I was in Baldur's

> Gate. I can't recapture that... innocence with a haircut."

*snicker* True, but you'll look better! ;)

> "Oh, well, it can't hurt."

Wanna bet? 8)

> > The first thing that they discovered is that Jarran's long thick hair was

> full of snarls and tangles. The resulting profanity as Jaheira tried to

> remove them would have impressed a sailor. Kay roused from the pillow he

> had been sleeping on and zipped out of the room.

Smart, Kay! Very, very smart.

> "A bit better. I went to the Order to gather some information, and

> then I went to my temple. I... I walked past my home, but I knew I could

> not enter. Are we still to start our investigation of the cult

> tomorrow?"

> "Unless something comes up to change our plans."

> "Excellent. I will confess I look forward to the distraction."

*sigh* Poor Keldorn.

> "I'm sure he did quite well with two strong assistants. The armor

> looks good on you, Minsc."

> Minsc grinned. "Evil will flee in terror when they see red justice

> approaching!"

Red, butt-kicking justice at that.

> "What do you expect me to do while I am wrestling with this hair,

> read you love poetry?"

> "It would be more entertaining then having my neck wrenched this way

> and that."

*grin*

> "Minsc is sorry, but he does not read poetry. Boo tells me some,

> sometimes, but it is not love poetry."

No, I imagine it is more likely limericks.

There was a young hamster from space

Who jumped into everyone's face...

Very nice Anomen scene. He is full of surprises isn't he? And Jan -- hehehe...nice touch, ending on a giggle.

j.

#3 Weyoun

Posted 08 October 2001 - 08:38 AM

Hey, the playhouse! I was wondering when that would turn up again...

> it."

*grin* Jarran takes no BS from anyone! 8)

> "Shhh!" Higgold looked around nervously. "Please, patron, I

> would prefer you refer to it as the Turmish play. Some of the actors get

> upset so easily."

> "Superstitious nonsense. Oh, if it will keep you from jumping out of

> your skin I won't use its real name."

*grin* The 'scottish play'... Rediculous superstition in RL. Actors sometimes say stagelights fell down just because someone said 'MacBeth'...

> "Responsibilities... yes, we have many of them these days, do we not?

> Keldorn with his cult problem, the situation in Trademeet, this

> playhouse... we have many who turn to us for help."

Yep... Sometimes I wonder about that. Shouldn't there be more parties of adventurers in Amn doing these things, or are they all set on attacking our parties instead? :/

> "How do you know?"

> "I had the cushions just right, and they've moved."

ROTFL! Oh, my grandfather is just like that! On his last birthday party, he went outside to walk the dog for an hour and when he returned he sits down in the chair and yells : "Hey, who's been messin' with my ass-groove?" ;)

> itself."

Showed him a pink bunny? :) Ermmm, sorry... Very intense scene, though... And bunnies, well... They scare me for some reason, especially when they stare at me with their dead eyes!

> "You came out of Irenicus' dungeon looking as if you were a barbarian

> rather than an educated bard. Who would think to look at you that you were

> raised among monks? I doubt Gorion would recognize you."

Well, it's better than innocence wearing parachute-pants... :)

> They went upstairs to their quarters. Jaheira found a comb and a pair of

> scissors and set to work.

> The first thing that they discovered is that Jarran's long thick hair was

> full of snarls and tangles. The resulting profanity as Jaheira tried to

> remove them would have impressed a sailor. Kay roused from the pillow he

> had been sleeping on and zipped out of the room.

Ouch! *cringes* That hurt with both long and short hair! ;)

> While she was gone, Keldorn returned. He had left that morning while

> Jarran worked on the play. The knight stopped, his eyebrows raised as he

> stared at the bard. Jarran could feel himself blushing. Jaheira had left

> his hair sticking out at assorted odd angles. "Jaheira's, ah, cutting

> my hair."

> "It would appear she has abandoned the field of battle."

Ad from the Amnian Post : "For Hire : Jahiera, half-elven barber/adventurer. Cuts hair during business hours. Evil will be fought while you wait... Inquire at the Harper-hold in the Docks." ;D

> Anomen and Minsc returned, the concern on their faces changing to grins

> when they saw where the cries of pain were coming from. "That's

> right, everyone enjoy my agony," Jarran growled.

Heh, maybe the romans should have build hairdresser-coloseums! Much more fun that watching gladiotor-fights! :D

> I certainly would if I saw him coming after me. Jarran had to admit that

> the sight of Minsc in red dragon armor was truly impressive. "Well,

> at least... dammit, Jaheira... at least I don't have Jan telling me some

> long tale about a relative getting his hair eaten by a griffin. Where is

> he, anyway?"

Hey, what's wrong with being eaten by griffins?! Ermmm, forget I said that... ;)

> At last she was finished, and handed Jarran a hand mirror.

> "Well?"

*grin* I just imagined that scene from the first Batman-movie. You know, where the joker sits in the chair while the doctor removes his bandages and shouts : "The mirror! the MIRROR!" ;D

> The intense look that passed between them was interrupted by a small

> streak running through the room. Jan dove under one of the beds. "If

> a halfling comes looking for me, I've left Amn and won't be back."

That halfing only needs to follow the trail of half-eaten turnips... ;)

Hey, I loved Jaheira's new career-choice! So, now that Jarran looks like a member of the human race again, ;) when's the next part due?

---Weyoun

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#4 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 08 October 2001 - 10:33 AM

> Jarran watched the rehearsal, and was so engrossed in making mental notes

> that he was startled to hear a voice at his side. "So you have

> managed to placate them once again. I never imagined you would take the

> playhouse this seriously."

I find it hard to take the playhouse seriously. But then, I've always found such personalities a touch pitiful.

Primadonnas. *snort*

> "How do you know?"

> "I had the cushions just right, and they've moved."

*snickers* Sounds like my dad.

> "I washed it just the other day in the stream," he protested.

> "Ha! These snarls say differently. When was the last time you used a

> comb?"

*blink* It sounds like he has my hair: more snarls just after washing it that I had before.

> "What do you expect me to do while I am wrestling with this hair,

> read you love poetry?"

> and that."

> "Well, I do not know any. Maybe your friends do."

She never read any to Khalid? How tragic.

> Keldorn said thoughtfully, "I have not read poetry to Maria in many

> years... ex-excuse me." He left the room quickly.

*snif*

> "Minsc is sorry, but he does not read poetry. Boo tells me some,

> sometimes, but it is not love poetry."

I'll bet not.

> Then, much to everyone's surprise, Anomen started reciting.

> "Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest

> Is my lover among the young men.

> I delight to sit in his shade

> And his fruit is sweet to my taste.

> He had taken me to the banquet hall

> And his banner over me is love.

> Strengthen me with raisins,

> Refresh me with apples,

> For I am faint with love."*

OK, how many of us recognized that without the footnote? *grins*

Possibly the most famous pieces of wedding poetry ever written, and guaranteed to help you forget Anomen and Aerie's wedding, ah, verse.

*ducking and running*

> "Cheating at cards, Jan?"

> "Never! Just a slight disagreement on how many ace of griffins there

> are in a deck.

Yeah, right.

Blue Screen

#5 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 08 October 2001 - 10:34 AM

> Oooo....very impressive... Yes, sir!

Hehehe, Jarran's letting his temper leak out again.

> *grin* For a brief minute there I thought we were heading into a version

> of the Three Bears!

LOL! With Jan as Baby Bear?

> Good insight. It does make sense. I know most of us were running around

> just to do the quests, but in *reality* it would be rather intimidating to

> have to face Irenicus again.

Well, of course, the characters don't know what's coming, they think Irenicus is in a cell like Imoen. But it would still be creepy to see him again.

Here's a question- If Irenicus had been in Athkatla for some time, and had the resources to build that big dungeon/laboratory, why didn't he pony up a few grand for a magic license? The CWs didn't seem to care what you did with your magic as long as you had that darn piece of paper.

> Hmmmm...I think I smell a plot twist coming.

I don't know about a twist, I just know that in the game the character can't remember a lot of what happened to them, and that would be very disturbing.

> *snicker* True, but you'll look better! ;)

Hehehe, very true.

> Wanna bet? ;)

Jaheira's 'chairside manner' could use work.

> Smart, Kay! Very, very smart.

He's getting while the gettings good!

> *sigh* Poor Keldorn.

He's got some healing to do before he can face Maria.

> Red, butt-kicking justice at that.

*grin* He looks very impressive in the game.

> No, I imagine it is more likely limericks.

> There was a young hamster from space

> Who jumped into everyone's face...

*snicker* I wish I had time to finish that, but I have to run.

> Very nice Anomen scene. He is full of surprises isn't he? And Jan --

> hehehe...nice touch, ending on a giggle.

> j.

Glad you liked it!

#6 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 08 October 2001 - 10:41 AM

> Hey, the playhouse! I was wondering when that would turn up again...

Most of the bard quests are too short to do much with, or just not very dramatic.

> *grin* Jarran takes no BS from anyone! ;)

Except Jaheira!

> *grin* The 'scottish play'... Rediculous superstition in RL. Actors

> sometimes say stagelights fell down just because someone said 'MacBeth'...

Oh, I know, that's obviously what they've patterned it after.

> Yep... Sometimes I wonder about that. Shouldn't there be more parties of

> adventurers in Amn doing these things, or are they all set on attacking

> our parties instead? :/

*grin* Maybe it's just that our group is the only one that says yes.

> ROTFL! Oh, my grandfather is just like that! On his last birthday party,

> he went outside to walk the dog for an hour and when he returned he sits

> down in the chair and yells : "Hey, who's been messin' with my

> ass-groove?" ;)

LOL!

> Showed him a pink bunny? :) Ermmm, sorry... Very intense scene, though...

> And bunnies, well... They scare me for some reason, especially when they

> stare at me with their dead eyes!

*Silrana backs away slowly*

> Well, it's better than innocence wearing parachute-pants... :)

*Backs even farther away*

> Ouch! *cringes* That hurt with both long and short hair! ;)

I know. My hair is pretty thick, and tangles if you just look at it.

> Ad from the Amnian Post : "For Hire : Jahiera, half-elven

> barber/adventurer. Cuts hair during business hours. Evil will be fought

> while you wait... Inquire at the Harper-hold in the Docks." ;D

Customers must have high tolerance for pain and verbal abuse.

> Heh, maybe the romans should have build hairdresser-coloseums! Much more

> fun that watching gladiotor-fights! :D

*Silrana edges towards door*

> Hey, what's wrong with being eaten by griffins?! Ermmm, forget I said

> that... :(

Ouch!

> *grin* I just imagined that scene from the first Batman-movie. You know,

> where the joker sits in the chair while the doctor removes his bandages

> and shouts : "The mirror! the MIRROR!" ;D

Hey, Jarran doesn't look *that* bad!

> That halfing only needs to follow the trail of half-eaten turnips... :D

And people clutching their ears and screaming "make it stop".

> Hey, I loved Jaheira's new career-choice! So, now that Jarran looks like a

> member of the human race again, ;) when's the next part due?

> ---Weyoun

Not for a bit. Other projects are calling.

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 08 October 2001 - 10:48 AM

> I find it hard to take the playhouse seriously. But then, I've always

> found such personalities a touch pitiful.

> Primadonnas. *snort*

Which is why Jarran is so short-tempered with them.

> *snickers* Sounds like my dad.

Sounds like everyone's dad!

> *blink* It sounds like he has my hair: more snarls just after washing it

> that I had before.

Mine, too.

> She never read any to Khalid? How tragic.

Maybe she read some, she just doesn't have it memorized.

> *snif*

*hands tissue*

> I'll bet not.

I hope not!

> OK, how many of us recognized that without the footnote? *grins*

> Possibly the most famous pieces of wedding poetry ever written, and

> guaranteed to help you forget Anomen and Aerie's wedding, ah, verse.

> *ducking and running*

Song of Songs is a bizarre bit of work. Some of it is very erotic, other parts are very, very strange.

> Yeah, right.

*grin* That's Jan for you!

#8 Requiem

Posted 08 October 2001 - 11:03 AM

> Here's a question- If Irenicus had been in Athkatla for some time, and had

> the resources to build that big dungeon/laboratory, why didn't he pony up

> a few grand for a magic license? The CWs didn't seem to care what you did

> with your magic as long as you had that darn piece of paper.

Maybe he had one, it was said in the game, that You could loose it again in case You caused too much destruction, and blowing up nearly a quarter of the promenade surely counts as that.

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 08 October 2001 - 11:05 AM

> Maybe he had one, it was said in the game, that You could loose it again

> in case You caused too much destruction, and blowing up nearly a quarter

> of the promenade surely counts as that.

LOL! A very good point. Though if he hadn't been so obsessed, he might have been able to blame it on the PC's group and get away with it.

#10 Requiem

Posted 08 October 2001 - 11:18 AM

> it."

I just love the theatre quests :(

Have You already played all of them through?

> Jarran snorted. "Nonsense. The play needed revision. The romance was

> overly melodramatic and some of the lines were more humorous than

> touching, and they weren't intended to be! The Karenina character had so

> little sense I couldn't imagine why Velden would fall in love with her.

> 'Sorcerer's Bane' is not all it is cracked up to be."

Something one could say about lot's of classics I had to read back in school

;)

About the fear of meeting Irenicus again, I kept this old paranoia from the last fight with Sarevok in BGI when I first tried it my party was wiped out, I'm actually not sure how often I had to reload. Requiem wouldn't go after somebody like Irenicus, before she felt ready for it. (Defeating Firkraag is usually the last thing I do before going toi spellhold)

> itself."

Preparations for the arrival of the slayer?

> "Ow! Slow down! Youch!" Jarran howled.

> "Cease your complaining!"

> "Bloody hells, just shave it off, it would be less painful!"

> "Nonsense."

Sounds a lot like a man visiting a dentist ;)

> The intense look that passed between them was interrupted by a small

> streak running through the room. Jan dove under one of the beds. "If

> a halfling comes looking for me, I've left Amn and won't be back."

> "Cheating at cards, Jan?"

> "Never! Just a slight disagreement on how many ace of griffins there

> are in a deck. Just pretend you don't know me and everything will be fine.

> What's with the hair, anyway?"

Griffins? Again? Good that there are that many Jansens, else that family would be wiped out of existance by now. ;) Be veery careful Jan, ...

#11 Laufey

Posted 08 October 2001 - 11:48 AM

Like the little interiors and details from the playhouse, particularly since my present character (the one doing the Edwin romance) happens to be a bard. And Jaheira as a hairdresser is priceless! What next? Manicure?

Also I liked the dark forshadowing about Irenicus. Just what happened to Jarran anyway?

Oh, yes. Jan cheating at cards. Typical. ;)

Rogues do it from behind.

#12 Guest_darkrose_*

Posted 08 October 2001 - 04:30 PM

> *grin* The 'scottish play'... Rediculous superstition in RL. Actors

> sometimes say stagelights fell down just because someone said 'MacBeth'...

Not ridiculous at all, my friend. I made the mistake twice. Once, the result was that I spent some tense time in a dark theater attic; the other time, one of the actors fell off the set and hurt himself.

And then there was the production of the Scottish Play that I stage-managed, where in between weeks of the run, the fly rail operator fell off a balcony and broke both his arms...

Tales from the Copper Coronet

#13 Laufey

Posted 08 October 2001 - 04:35 PM

> Not ridiculous at all, my friend. I made the mistake twice. Once, the

> result was that I spent some tense time in a dark theater attic; the other

> time, one of the actors fell off the set and hurt himself.

> And then there was the production of the Scottish Play that I

> stage-managed, where in between weeks of the run, the fly rail operator

> fell off a balcony and broke both his arms...

*grin* One of my favorite Black Adder episodes involves the 'Scottish Play'. More or less accurate quote:

Black Adder: They think it brings them bad luck and it makes them very unhappy. (Actors on Macbeth)

Baldrick: Oh. So you won't be saying it then?

Black Adder: No. Well, not too many times.

I can totally see Eddie doing this as well! ;)

Rogues do it from behind.

#14 Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 08 October 2001 - 07:43 PM

> LOL! A very good point. Though if he hadn't been so obsessed, he might

> have been able to blame it on the PC's group and get away with it.

It's also quite likely that he was simply too arrogant to get a license. Bribe those "pathetic magelings", those "gnats", for a questionable "right" that can be taken away on a whim? *I* refuse to pay the Cowlies, and Irenicus has much more of an ego problem that I do. ;)

#15 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 08 October 2001 - 10:45 PM

> I just love the theatre quests :D

> Have You already played all of them through?

Not all of them.

> Something one could say about lot's of classics I had to read back in

> school

> :(

Aargh, don't get me started on that. Once in college, a lit professor pulled me aside after class and said she noticed I had been unusually quiet lately and wanted to know if anything was wrong. I told her the only thing wrong was that the story we were studying bored me to tears because there were no sympathetic characters. They were all either idiots or jerks.

> About the fear of meeting Irenicus again, I kept this old paranoia from

> the last fight with Sarevok in BGI when I first tried it my party was

> wiped out, I'm actually not sure how often I had to reload. Requiem

> wouldn't go after somebody like Irenicus, before she felt ready for it.

> (Defeating Firkraag is usually the last thing I do before going toi

> spellhold)

I'd be paranoid, that's for sure.

> Preparations for the arrival of the slayer?

;) No spoilers here.

> Sounds a lot like a man visiting a dentist ;)

LOL!

> Griffins? Again? Good that there are that many Jansens, else that family

> would be wiped out of existance by now. ;) Be veery careful Jan, ...

Hehehe, I knew there had to be a reason there were so many of them.

#16 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 08 October 2001 - 10:55 PM

> Like the little interiors and details from the playhouse, particularly

> since my present character (the one doing the Edwin romance) happens to be

> a bard. And Jaheira as a hairdresser is priceless! What next? Manicure?

Hehehe, glad you liked it. At least all the bard quests are in town. The only irritating thing about Silrana's ranger quests is they always involved traveling a distance, and they always seemed to hit when I had another 'timer' quest going. For instance, Anomen ran off and two seconds later someone from Imnesvale shows up. And my characters were in Trademeet. I managed to do them both, but it was aggravating.

> Also I liked the dark forshadowing about Irenicus. Just what happened to

> Jarran anyway?

*grin* All will be revealed in time.

> Oh, yes. Jan cheating at cards. Typical. ;)

Very!

#17 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 09 October 2001 - 08:56 AM

"Meanwhile, back at the motel..." ;)

> Higgold the director and the actors huddled around the script, slowly

> turning pages as they went through his changes. He stood with his arms

> crossed and a stony expression on his face, hoping that no hint of the

> butterflies he felt showed through. When a squabble over improvised lines

> and re-written scenes had broken out, he had taken charge of the situation

> by re-writing the play himself.

Heh... The director of a play I was in some time ago took the weak script and actually managed to make it worse... He re-wrote parts of it to try to make his own political statement. In the most basic terms - it sucked.

Big time.

Totally.

> "Superstitious nonsense. Oh, if it will keep you from jumping out of

> your skin I won't use its real name."

Never underestimate the superstitious nature of an actor. Consider the reasoning behind break a leg "break a leg"... ;)

> "I have to, Jaheira. If I hadn't planned to do my best, I never would

> have taken on the responsibility."

> "Responsibilities... yes, we have many of them these days, do we not?

> Keldorn with his cult problem, the situation in Trademeet, this

> playhouse... we have many who turn to us for help."

True, you'd think that there would be someone else that could handle these quests. But then, that is kind of the point - the PC and his/her party is a group of extraordinary people. Consider everyone's stats and how many individual scores are at least above average, and you have a veritible superhero-group of people.

> "No, but it will make the man you face in the mirror seem less of a

> stranger."

> "Oh, well, it can't hurt."

Oh, Jarran... Wrong words to use... Yes. It can hurt.

> "If you are going to wail like an infant," she snapped,

> "then I suppose I must get a basin of water and wash this... this

> rat's nest. Stay." She walked out in a huff, leaving Jarran feeling

> foolish.

Woof.

> While she was gone, Keldorn returned. He had left that morning while

> Jarran worked on the play. The knight stopped, his eyebrows raised as he

> stared at the bard. Jarran could feel himself blushing. Jaheira had left

> his hair sticking out at assorted odd angles. "Jaheira's, ah, cutting

> my hair."

> "It would appear she has abandoned the field of battle."

The hair won... Actually she's gone to get Jan's newest invention. a weed-whacker.

> Jaheira returned with a basin of steaming water. "All right, dunk

> your head into this. I will get your hair clean if I must scrub the whole

> night."

Here, let me help you dunk your head!

> At that moment she noticed that Keldorn had returned and stared at him

> intently. "Ah, you are back. Tell me, are you feeling well? You do

> not seem yourself. If you need healing..."

> "I am fit enough, Jaheira, but thank you all the same. I did not

> sleep well, nothing more."

I know it's been said before, but... Poor Keldorn.

> "I'm sure he did quite well with two strong assistants. The armor

> looks good on you, Minsc."

> Minsc grinned. "Evil will flee in terror when they see red justice

> approaching!"

So much for that stealth ability of his. Kinda hard trying to sneak around wearing armor that glows in the dark.

> Jaheira snorted. "He was playing cards with some halflings downstairs

> when I saw him last."

...And nobody clued in that this could be bad?

> "Jaheira, watch that comb! You're enjoying this, aren't you?"

> "Yes, I am. It is very entertaining to watch you whine over such a

> small thing as hair."

Sweeny Todd has some competition...

> and that."

Ahem... "...entertaining than having..."

> "Boo thinks it was very pretty, but now Minsc is hungry."

Inspire Minsc and he gets hungry.

Another good installment. I hope you get a handle on RL quickly so you can get the next part done. I haven't seen an interpretation of the Eyeless dungeon, I'll be looking forward to this. (Even more than I usually look forward to these parts. ;) )

The Mutant Plebian.

"To be... or what... dude..."

#18 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 09 October 2001 - 09:55 AM

> "Meanwhile, back at the motel..." ;)

*giggles*

> True, you'd think that there would be someone else that could handle

> these quests. But then, that is kind of the point - the PC and his/her

> party is a group of extraordinary people. Consider everyone's stats and

> how many individual scores are at least above average, and you have a

> veritible superhero-group of people.

Remember, too, that most adventurous Amnians have left to go to Maztica. At the time of BG2, just before the rise of the Sythillisians, the Council is using mercenaries to patrol its borders because there's not enough of an Amnian army to do the job.

Hmm. That gives me an idea....

Blue Screen

#19 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 09 October 2001 - 10:05 AM

> *giggles*

> Remember, too, that most adventurous Amnians have left to go to Maztica.

> At the time of BG2, just before the rise of the Sythillisians, the Council

> is using mercenaries to patrol its borders because there's not enough of

> an Amnian army to do the job.

> Hmm. That gives me an idea....

Be afraid.. Be very afraid... ;)

#20 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 09 October 2001 - 11:02 AM

> Hmm. That gives me an idea....

Promises, promises.... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com