A Cappella Part 36 - Into The Lair

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 04:51 AM

This chapter was probably typed more slowly than any other, because of the trouble my arm is giving me. I hope I caught all the typos.

As Imoen would say, this is too darn creepy, Jarran thought. They had entered the ruins, and found the usual thugs inside the doorway. No surprises there. Orcs, hobgoblins, the usual humanoid trash that was easily hired and easily replaced.

But exploding kobolds? Thank goodness they had been far enough away to miss the blast. One moment they had been shooting arrows at a group of kobolds and a rakshasa, and the next their opponents had been reduced to ashes.

Then they had found a deep hole with a rumbling sound coming from the depths. Jan had leaned over a bit too far, and had dislodged a small stone, sending it plummeting into the darkness. They listened for a long, long time before they heard what sounded like an annoyed snort. They had all backed slowly from the pit, even Keldorn looking apprehensive.

But Jarran hadn't had time to contemplate that for long, because misty, horrid creatures came out of the shadows, with claws that were sharp and cold. The mists had fallen before them, but at the touch of one, Jarran felt a coldness flow through his body. He felt older, stiffer, and the flail he carried seemed heavier. After the battle was over, he sagged to the floor, his energy fading fast.

Jaheira bent over him, her face full of concern. "Jarran, are you all right?" She pulled up his face so that she could examine it. "You have been drained by one of them. Priest!" she snapped out. "Bring me a scroll."

Anomen stomped over, a sour look on his face. "I have already restored Keldorn, druid, so I will do the same for Jarran. There is no sense in both of us suffering the spell's aftereffects."

Jaheira didn't look happy, but she nodded. As Anomen chanted words that only his god could understand, Jarran felt warmth spread through him, and his vigor return. Anomen, on the other hand, had circles under his eyes, and seem to stand with slow deliberation.

Having cleared the cavern of monsters, they gathered at a door that opened onto a staircase that led into the gloom below. Jarran looked around. "Everyone ready?" His inquiry was met with nods.

They slowly descended, listening for movement. They entered a small room with a door on the opposite wall. Jan looked closely, and said, "No traps on the floor... the walls! The walls have arrow slits!"

At his cry, the air was buzzing with arrows, their flames giving the illusion that the group had walked into a hive of red bees. They tried to return fire, but it was hard to aim through the small holes.

Jarran saw Jan run right up to one of the walls. "What are you doing?" he cried out. The gnome was making an easy target of himself. Jan didn't answer, but a moment later a door swung open. The thief turned with a grin and ran for the opposite wall to do the same.

Jarran and Anomen charged through the open door, now able to attack the orcs beyond it. Between the crush of Jarran's flail and the thud of Anomen's hammer, the tiny room was soon coated with blood. Jarran couldn't help noticing that it seemed to take Anomen longer than usual to finish off his opponents.

After the last of the orcs were killed, Jaheira came to patch up Jarran's assorted cuts and scrapes. Perhaps it was his imagination, but it seemed to Jarran that Jaheira had been nearly elbowing Anomen out of the way to heal him whenever he needed care. The druid didn't seem to trust the squire, possibly because of the misunderstanding that occurred when Anomen joined the group, when Jaheira thought he was there to replace her. Still, he couldn't complain. Any opportunity to feel Jaheira's hands on him was to be savored.

They prepared themselves to continue on to the next room, when Keldorn said in a low voice to Anomen, "Young Anomen, it seems to me that you have been to long away from the fold. Perhaps this is a good time to continue your lessons."

The squire glared at the paladin. "I assure you, noble Keldorn, that I am well-versed in the statutes and moral laws of the Order."

"I doubt it not. However, perhaps it is time to re-memorize the virtues of chivalry and honesty." The knight seemed to put emphasis on the last word.

"I know what you're about, Keldorn. Let me worry about training and you may worry about your own affairs."

"I am not 'about' anything. I've no ulterior motive outside the betterment of a squire. Best you listen to the wisdom of those who have gone before you."

"I shall take, Sir Keldorn, what path I deem appropriate. I have not bothered you so it seems rude that you find the time to bother me."

"Very well. I see that you are not prepared to learn."

The two men stared coldly at each other before turning back to their preparations.

Jarran whispered to Keldorn, "Mind sharing what that was all about?"

"The young fool is exhausted and won't say anything. You know as well as I do that the spell of restoration drains the caster of energy, but he wants to pretend he is suffering no ill effects from it. He will get himself killed behaving in such a fashion or, even worse, get a companion killed. His pride will be his downfall."

"That might well be, but I would appreciate it if you would tell me these things before calling him on the carpet in front of the whole group."

Keldorn looked abashed. "Perhaps you are right. I should have been more discreet with my words."

"I'll go calm him down. I don't think he'll want to talk to you right now."

When Jarran approached him, Anomen was angrily wiping the orc blood off of his armor. They had acquired a set of plate mail for him after one of the battles, and he had been itching to polish it. He looked up at the bard, his glare softening when he saw who it was.

"Well, what has he been telling you? What crime against the Order have I committed now?" he growled.

"He's concerned about you. Why are you trying to hide how tired you are?"

"I do not want to slow us down, because we cannot afford to stop. We need to find that young girl as quickly as possible. I... I cannot help worrying about her. Please, do not delay our progress on my account."

Jarran thought this was very likely true. After his desire to become a knight, Anomen's greatest interest seemed to be the well being of his sister. Perhaps his protective nature extended to Garren's daughter. "Very well, but you're on sling duty until we get a chance to rest. You were sloppy against those orcs, and we can't afford to lose your healing skills."

Anomen looked as if he couldn't decide if he had been insulted or complimented, so he settled for nodding.

The next challenge was a pair of stone golems, and then they came across the most cowardly orcs they had ever encountered. One panicked and attacked them, but the other Jarran let go free.

Jaheira placed her hand on Jarran's shoulder. "Khalid would be proud of you."

Jarran stiffened. He hissed, "Don't say that, Jaheira. Don't ever say that again."

"But... but why? I thought you would be pleased."

"I appreciate the sentiment, Jaheira, I really do. But it... it sounded too much like how Khalid used to tell me that Gorion would be proud. Now they're both gone. It never occurred to me before, but, well, call me superstitious but I don't want you telling me that."

Jaheira's eyebrows rose. "You are afraid it will somehow curse me?"

"It's silly, I know, but just... don't."

"It may be silly, but I am touched. I thank you for your concern."

Jarran felt himself blush. "I just don't want to lose anyone else. Especially not... one of my oldest friends."

"Hey, fearless leader," Jan said as he walked up to them. "Did a little scouting. There are doors that look like a lot of critters have been trooping through them lately. It seems to me those are our best bet to find the girl."

Minsc chimed in, "Yes, and finding the little girl must come before all else! Minsc's boot itches with the desire to bury itself in the kidnapper's behind!"

They advance through the hallways, fighting through various creatures, until they met a woman named Samia who was looking for artifacts. Jarran promised to help her when he could, but he knew it would be a while before he had the time to poke through tombs. Their plan was to rescue Iltha as quickly as possible, then come back to clear out any remaining evil.

The group moved down a curved set of stairs. Jan opened the door, then scurried back as three orcs, one of which was very large, crowded into the doorway. After they had been dealt with, Jarran and his party advanced into the room, only to be confronted by another occupant.

A familiar face leered down at Jarran. "Ahh, you did come! He said you would, but I thought you too much a coward. My swaddling kin will have your flesh after all!"

"Tazok? Aren't you dead?" Damn it, why is it that those dearest to me are gone forever, but my enemies keep turning up? Who's next? Sarevok?

"Sarevok took too much for his plate, left us in a bad position. You'll find my new master much smarter, and me much harder to kill! Seems Firkraag has a special treat in store, brought me here just for you. Got a special bug in his craw about seeing you perform. Who am I to disagree if it means I get to put my foot to you once more! Fight! And know that behind Tazok is a power greater than you have ever seen!"

"Oh, by all means, let's put on a show for him. Do you know how many times I've been threatened by lackeys?"

"Tazok is no lackey! You die now!"

Tazok swung his sword at the bard, but his blade was deflected by Keldorn before it was even halfway through its arc. If he had been facing Jarran alone, he might have had a chance, but against six, Tazok fell in barely a minute. Bellowing as he tried to reach Jarran, he was hampered by Keldorn and Minsc, and peppered by missiles from Anomen, Jaheira and Jan. There could be no doubt as to the outcome.

After Tazok had been finished, a voice called out to them. "I knew you would come! Free me and we shall take flight! I... think the locks are magical. The mage that brought me had a sort of key, but I don't know how to get it." It was Iltha, peering through the bars of a cell.

Jan inspected the lock. "She's right. This can't be picked."

The girl looked earnestly at Jarran. "From what I have heard his men say, Firkraag is fearsome. Please, do not risk your life needlessly. Get the key from the mage and we can flee."

"We will, no fear. Just be patient, and you'll be free."

#2 Requiem

Posted 05 August 2001 - 06:38 AM

> This chapter was probably typed more slowly than any other, because of the

> trouble my arm is giving me. I hope I caught all the typos.

It's pretty tough to have your *write* arm out of commission! Hope it's better soon Silrana.

I liked the way you explained that exchange between Keldorn and Anomen. Although I do like Keldorn, that particular exchange always seems so pompous (although I know he's just trying to be helpful). I always understand why Anomen bristles at it. Anyway -- your version adds a nice touch.

#3 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 12:26 PM

I think so. No time for a letter-by-letter check, but nothing leapt off the page at me.

*snicker* Jaheira-Anomen, Anomen-Keldorn....

Like Jeannette, I've always understood why Anomen wouldn't like that conversation with Keldorn, though I'm usually less generous about explaining what prompted it. Keldorn reminds me in that dialog of his attempt at talking to his girls, awkward and just missing the mark of what actually needs to be said.

Blue Screen

#4 Weyoun

Posted 05 August 2001 - 01:25 PM

Oh, I hope you're okay! An arm is a terrible thing to have hurting you!

> But exploding kobolds? Thank goodness they had been far enough away to

> miss the blast. One moment they had been shooting arrows at a group of

> kobolds and a rakshasa, and the next their opponents had been reduced to

> ashes.

That was pretty mean... Those Kolbolds probably thought they would go to an eternal reward when, they were actually sent to their deaths by an evil bugger!

> Jaheira didn't look happy, but she nodded. As Anomen chanted words that

> only his god could understand, Jarran felt warmth spread through him, and

> his vigor return. Anomen, on the other hand, had circles under his eyes,

> and seem to stand with slow deliberation.

Yeah... Vic told me she felt that that spell always turned her inside out. Mind you she had to cast five in succesion once... she slept for three days straight!

> They slowly descended, listening for movement. They entered a small room

> with a door on the opposite wall. Jan looked closely, and said, "No

> traps on the floor... the walls! The walls have arrow slits!"

Those were mean traps, weren't they? Firkraag is a tricky bugger alright...

> Jarran saw Jan run right up to one of the walls. "What are you

> doing?" he cried out. The gnome was making an easy target of himself.

> Jan didn't answer, but a moment later a door swung open. The thief turned

> with a grin and ran for the opposite wall to do the same.

Jan Jansen the Brave!! *chuckles*

> They prepared themselves to continue on to the next room, when Keldorn

> said in a low voice to Anomen, "Young Anomen, it seems to me that you

> have been to long away from the fold. Perhaps this is a good time to

> continue your lessons."

NOW?! That paladin has some pretty odd ideas of timing things! *grin*

> "The young fool is exhausted and won't say anything. You know as well

> as I do that the spell of restoration drains the caster of energy, but he

> wants to pretend he is suffering no ill effects from it. He will get

> himself killed behaving in such a fashion or, even worse, get a companion

> killed. His pride will be his downfall."

Yep... I never have that problem with Viconia, though... She's quite vocal about what she feels and what she wants... But I certainly can see Anomen doing something like this!

> "I appreciate the sentiment, Jaheira, I really do. But it... it

> sounded too much like how Khalid used to tell me that Gorion would be

> proud. Now they're both gone. It never occurred to me before, but, well,

> call me superstitious but I don't want you telling me that."

Hmmm, that seems a bit odd to me, Jarran. In combat death can come around every corner. Or it might not and some words won't not change that, I think...

> "It may be silly, but I am touched. I thank you for your

> concern."

> Jarran felt himself blush. "I just don't want to lose anyone else.

> Especially not... one of my oldest friends."

*sings* Love is in the air....

Weyoun : Stop doing that, Laska! You sound like a pack of crows!

Laska : *through clenched teeth* That's... a MURDER of crows...

Weyoun : Ermmm, carry on... don't let me stop you!

> "Tazok? Aren't you dead?" Damn it, why is it that those dearest

> to me are gone forever, but my enemies keep turning up? Who's next?

> Sarevok?

Sarevok? Now, you're just being silly!

Weyoun : Ermm.... Yes he is Laska... Yes, Jarran is being silly... (wheh... avoided that can of worms!)

> The girl looked earnestly at Jarran. "From what I have heard his men

> say, Firkraag is fearsome. Please, do not risk your life needlessly. Get

> the key from the mage and we can flee."

> "We will, no fear. Just be patient, and you'll be free."

And now that dragon! *whistles theme from JAWS*

Anyway, great story and you deserve another drink! *raises glass*

---Laska

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#5 Guest_Flarn_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 03:05 PM

> Perhaps it was his imagination, but it seemed

> to Jarran that Jaheira had been nearly elbowing Anomen out of the way to

> heal him whenever he needed care. The druid didn't seem to trust the

> squire, possibly because of the misunderstanding that occurred when Anomen

> joined the group, when Jaheira thought he was there to replace her. Still,

> he couldn't complain. Any opportunity to feel Jaheira's hands on him was

> to be savored.

Score another one for the sexy druid! :-)

> When Jarran approached him, Anomen was angrily wiping the orc blood off of

> his armor. They had acquired a set of plate mail for him after one of the

> battles, and he had been itching to polish it.

Heh. I like this part - knowing how Anomen's equipment had been mostly hand-me-downs or stuff which had been bought for him, it was simply delightful to keep giving him better equipment as we ran across it or were able to buy it. The poor boy desserves some nice things after all he has been through - its a sentiment both me, and Alyndria, share, and Anomen does seem like the type to be gratifyingly delighted by suitable presents. :-)

> Jaheira placed her hand on Jarran's shoulder. "Khalid would be proud

> of you."

> Jarran stiffened. He hissed, "Don't say that, Jaheira. Don't ever say

> that again."

> "But... but why? I thought you would be pleased."

> Jaheira's eyebrows rose. "You are afraid it will somehow curse

> me?"

Oooh... *shiver* I never looked at it that way. How sad. :( But very clever. :)

I haven't been following A Capella as much as I would have liked, but the great thing about these stories is that you can usually step in at any time and know exactly where the characters are (if not where they have been). A great segment - I'm definitely going to go back and do lots of catch-up reading. :D

Flarn

#6 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 05:06 PM

> It's pretty tough to have your *write* arm out of commission! Hope it's

> better soon Silrana.

Right now the pain comes and goes. I just have to try to minimize using it. At least the stiffness has passed so I can halfway type.

> I liked the way you explained that exchange between Keldorn and Anomen.

> Although I do like Keldorn, that particular exchange always seems so

> pompous (although I know he's just trying to be helpful). I always

> understand why Anomen bristles at it. Anyway -- your version adds a nice

> touch.

In the game it just comes out of nowhere, and I felt it needed some explanation. And yes, Keldorn does sound pompous.

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 05:14 PM

> *snicker* Jaheira-Anomen, Anomen-Keldorn....

Around and around the mulberry bush...

> Like Jeannette, I've always understood why Anomen wouldn't like that

> conversation with Keldorn, though I'm usually less generous about

> explaining what prompted it. Keldorn reminds me in that dialog of his

> attempt at talking to his girls, awkward and just missing the mark of what

> actually needs to be said.

Hehehe, for a guy with his charisma, Keldorn can be awfully clumsy with words sometimes. In the dialogue, Anomen seems to have a 'NOW what have I done?' tone, so I played up on it.

#8 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 05:24 PM

> Oh, I hope you're okay! An arm is a terrible thing to have hurting you!

And darn inconvenient!

> That was pretty mean... Those Kolbolds probably thought they would go to

> an eternal reward when, they were actually sent to their deaths by an evil

> bugger!

It was definitely a strange twist, kamikaze kobolds.

> Jan Jansen the Brave!! *chuckles*

He's good for something...sometimes.

> NOW?! That paladin has some pretty odd ideas of timing things! *grin*

Keldorn could have picked a more private moment, that's for sure.

> Yep... I never have that problem with Viconia, though... She's quite vocal

> about what she feels and what she wants... But I certainly can see Anomen

> doing something like this!

Poor Anomen, thinking to himself 'there's no pleasing that man!'

> Hmmm, that seems a bit odd to me, Jarran. In combat death can come around

> every corner. Or it might not and some words won't not change that, I

> think...

Jarran: *growls* Hey, we all have our quirks. *You* should know.

> *sings* Love is in the air....

> Weyoun : Stop doing that, Laska! You sound like a pack of crows!

> Laska : *through clenched teeth* That's... a MURDER of crows...

> Weyoun : Ermmm, carry on... don't let me stop you!

LOL!

> Sarevok? Now, you're just being silly!

> Weyoun : Ermm.... Yes he is Laska... Yes, Jarran is being silly...

> (wheh... avoided that can of worms!)

Oh, yes, very silly.

> And now that dragon! *whistles theme from JAWS*

> Anyway, great story and you deserve another drink! *raises glass*

> ---Laska

Thanks!

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 06:29 PM

> Score another one for the sexy druid! :-)

Hehehe. There'll be more scoring in the future (did I just say that?).

> Heh. I like this part - knowing how Anomen's equipment had been mostly

> hand-me-downs or stuff which had been bought for him, it was simply

> delightful to keep giving him better equipment as we ran across it or were

> able to buy it. The poor boy desserves some nice things after all he has

> been through - its a sentiment both me, and Alyndria, share, and Anomen

> does seem like the type to be gratifyingly delighted by suitable presents.

> :-)

And he invests so much of himself in his equipment. I don't mind stoking his pride a little.

> Oooh... *shiver* I never looked at it that way. How sad. :( But very

> clever. :)

Thank you. We all have our weird things that creep us out, Jarran is no different.

> I haven't been following A Capella as much as I would have liked, but the

> great thing about these stories is that you can usually step in at any

> time and know exactly where the characters are (if not where they have

> been). A great segment - I'm definitely going to go back and do lots of

> catch-up reading. :D

> Flarn

1-20 are on the Novels page, and I've sent Leo 21-30, so they should be up soon. It shouldn't be too hard to catch up.

And it's great to see you again! I died laughing when I saw you had posted a story just before me. Seems like old times!

#10 Guest_darkrose_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 06:39 PM

> But exploding kobolds? Thank goodness they had been far enough away to

> miss the blast. One moment they had been shooting arrows at a group of

> kobolds and a rakshasa, and the next their opponents had been reduced to

> ashes.

Yeah, that was just bizzarre.

> Jaheira bent over him, her face full of concern. "Jarran, are you all

> right?" She pulled up his face so that she could examine it.

> "You have been drained by one of them. Priest!" she snapped out.

> "Bring me a scroll."

Gee, she's so nice...

> They prepared themselves to continue on to the next room, when Keldorn

> said in a low voice to Anomen, "Young Anomen, it seems to me that you

> have been to long away from the fold. Perhaps this is a good time to

> continue your lessons."

*sigh* No, no Keldorn, it really isn't...

> "That might well be, but I would appreciate it if you would tell me

> these things before calling him on the carpet in front of the whole

> group."

Heh. Good job at giving this some context, and for pointing out that Keldorn didn't exactly have to do that publicly!

> Jaheira's eyebrows rose. "You are afraid it will somehow curse

> me?"

> "It's silly, I know, but just... don't."

> "It may be silly, but I am touched. I thank you for your

> concern."

A very nice exchange, here.

Good stuff, as always--but don't stress your arm too much!

Tales from the Copper Coronet

#11 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 07:18 PM

> Yeah, that was just bizzarre.

But creative, I must give them that.

> Gee, she's so nice...

*grin* That's Jaheira for you.

> *sigh* No, no Keldorn, it really isn't...

Is there ever really a *good* time to tell someone you think they're screwing up?

> Heh. Good job at giving this some context, and for pointing out that

> Keldorn didn't exactly have to do that publicly!

Thanks!

> A very nice exchange, here.

Gotta keep the romance in my romance story!

> Good stuff, as always--but don't stress your arm too much!

I'm trying, but it's hard. My three-year-old has suddenly decided she wants to be picked up every two seconds, and my husband decided yesterday was a good day to go shopping, which of course involved carrying in sacks, etc. *sigh*

#12 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 09:56 PM

Hi,

as you can probably guess, I am a newbie here. I think that after reading some of the stories here, I might have to come back here and read the all of the forthcoming stories! :-)

I thought that your story was particularly entertaining to read :-). In particular, your characters were so true to the actual game that I felt that I was playing a new chapter! An example of this was the dialogue between Keldorn and Anomen; I could really feel the friction.

I musn't be the only fan of your work - I have read a few of your other stories, and some by other people, and I have noticed something. Some ideas of yours seem to have been picked up in other stories and explored further, a tribute to your creative talent.

Where do you get the inspiration! :)

Keep up the good work,

Simulacrum.

#13 Guest_zan_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 10:59 PM

I apologise for leaping in on a thread, but I have something to say here...

> I musn't be the only fan of your work - I have read a few of your other

> stories, and some by other people, and I have noticed something. Some

> ideas of yours seem to have been picked up in other stories and explored

> further, a tribute to your creative talent.

Actually...I believe that certain ideas, at least within recent parts of A Capella, were first inspired by other poster's stories. The effects of a vampiric level drain were very recently covered by Nyx, Justen was the first to have a caustic telepathic familiar, and Keldorn/Anomen tension is a familiar theme, most lately explored by Devon, a few stories down from this thread.

This is NOT a slating of Silrana, nor a criticism of her writing style - merely a statement of fact. And I don't doubt she's inspired others in her turn. There's nothing wrong with being inspired by others - we take our inspiration where we will, and there's always an element of coincedence. But, you know, credit where credit is due...

zan

#14 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 11:08 PM

> Hi,

> as you can probably guess, I am a newbie here. I think that after reading

> some of the stories here, I might have to come back here and read the all

> of the forthcoming stories! ;)

I hope you do! But be warned, the Attic is highly addictive.

> I thought that your story was particularly entertaining to read B). In

> particular, your characters were so true to the actual game that I felt

> that I was playing a new chapter! An example of this was the dialogue

> between Keldorn and Anomen; I could really feel the friction.

Thanks! Though in other parts of AC, I do wander off the beaten track as far as the NPCs and their characterizations. I hope you stay tuned.

*blush* Much as I'd like to take that kind of credit, the truth is that after a while, a lot of the writers here have developed a sort of synergy. We all feed off each other and fuel each other's imaginations. All of us have read someone else's work and said to themselves 'that gives me an idea'.

> Where do you get the inspiration! :-)

*grin* Several of us here swear that the characters talk to us. Especially with long-running story lines, the characters develop very individual personalities and sort of live in our heads.

> Keep up the good work,

> Simulacrum.

I'll try. And thanks for the kind words, I hope you'll become a regular here.

#15 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 11:11 PM

> I thought that your story was particularly entertaining to read ;). In

> particular, your characters were so true to the actual game that I felt

> that I was playing a new chapter! An example of this was the dialogue

> between Keldorn and Anomen; I could really feel the friction.

That's from the game. Silrana uses a lot of game dialogue, it's one of the hallmarks of her style.

> Where do you get the inspiration! B)

How do you know which inspired which, and what inspired what?

-Nyx

Parallel Journeys - Nyx's Archive and St

#16 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 August 2001 - 11:29 PM

> Actually...I believe that certain ideas, at least within recent parts of A

> Capella, were first inspired by other poster's stories. The effects of a

> vampiric level drain were very recently covered by Nyx, Justen was the

> first to have a caustic telepathic familiar, and Keldorn/Anomen tension is

> a familiar theme, most lately explored by Devon, a few stories down from

> this thread.

Oh, well, Nyx did the drain stuff much better, mine was a very minor point in the story. Kay was inspired partly by Justen's hilarious rabbit, and partly by my curiosity in the game - I said to myself 'I wonder if the Find Familiar scroll will work for a bard'. Kay's causticness, however, is inspired by whose voice I hear in my head when I write his dialogue. *grin*

The Keldorn-Anomen stuff is like the funny timing Luned and I have, sometimes covering some of the same quests at the same time. Some parts of AC are written way before they come out. That scene was written about three or four weeks ago. I've written chapters of AC that take place after the end of TOB. I'm up to 36 posted parts, but I have 30 more chapters written in whole or in part, waiting their proper turn. It's inevitable that some will coincide with other people's themes.

> This is NOT a slating of Silrana, nor a criticism of her writing style -

> merely a statement of fact. And I don't doubt she's inspired others in her

> turn. There's nothing wrong with being inspired by others - we take our

> inspiration where we will, and there's always an element of coincedence.

> But, you know, credit where credit is due...

> zan

No offense taken. I'm sure you've seen my previous response, which I must have been writing at the same time you were writing yours, and I said the same thing. We all inspire each other, and I certainly wouldn't claim to be the fountain of creativity here. There's too much of it for one person to claim!

#17 Guest_Dwagon_*

Posted 06 August 2001 - 12:05 AM

> I hope you do! But be warned, the Attic is highly addictive.

silrana is not loking here btw...once you've posted for the first time though, there's no saving you...mwahahahah...umm, yeah, where was i...*sheepish grin*

> *grin* Several of us here swear that the characters talk to us. Especially

> with long-running story lines, the characters develop very individual

> personalities and sort of live in our heads.

yeah...just try having sarevok dictacte over a 1000 words to you at 12.30 am, just after you've come back from the pub ...very weird, let me tell you:)

> I'll try. And thanks for the kind words, I hope you'll become a regular

> here.

i'll second that...welcome to this madhouse:)

Dwagon

#18 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 06 August 2001 - 12:12 AM

Let me just pile on another "Welcome to the Attic!" here ;). Please check your social life at the door, you won't be needing it anymore... Anyways, just enjoy the stories, and feel free to contribute your own (We don't bite... hard... B) )

#19 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 06 August 2001 - 12:27 AM

> yeah...just try having sarevok dictacte over a 1000 words to you at 12.30

> am, just after you've come back from the pub ...very weird, let me tell you:)

Or Yoshimo feed you the climax of a scene while you're driving down a major US highway. Came this close to driving right off the road.

Blue Screen

#20 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 06 August 2001 - 12:34 AM

> Let me just pile on another "Welcome to the Attic!" here ;).

> Please check your social life at the door, you won't be needing it

> anymore...

Social life? We don' need no steenkin' social life.

> Anyways, just enjoy the stories, and feel free to contribute your own

Seconded, thirded, and so on.

> (We don't bite... hard... B) )

Not unless we're asked to....

Blue Screen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com