STORY: Kaleidoscopes

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_zan_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 10:16 AM

This was originally going to be another instalment in the "zan's bad poetry" series. But zan's a kind soul deep down, and decided to at least spare you all that.

This is a twist, albeit one which would leave us without a game.

--------

I'm thinking again. It's all I ever do.

I am remembering the tales of my childhood, the storytellers weaving worlds, crafting their goldfish bowl utopias where a halfling might slay fifty giants, or a dwarf might find a city built from gold. Where nobody died.

In my world, people died. And I did nothing about it.

This is not how it is supposed to be. I have heard a theory which claims that every decision we make creates a kaleidoscope of tiny universes, countless pathways closed to us forever and seen only in our dreams. Perhaps it is true. I can certainly pinpoint the exact moment when I chose my current path. The memory haunts my waking hours, though my dreams these days take on a different cast.

We have escaped the underground maze after days of wandering. Magic dissipates, gemstone colours fade - and then I stand in the city market, a scream echoing in my ears. Our ragtag band lies scattered, blinking as the sun creeps over the promenade. Weeks spent below the earth have left my eyes accustomed to darkness, but I can see their shadows, framed by daylight - druid, ranger, thief, and myself.

In my recollections the city's name eludes me, but she knows, as she knows everything. She turns to me and speaks, her voice level even as her words cry out the need for revenge. But I denied her even this. I left her there in the dust and debris, because her presence alone spoke my flaws aloud, and I found myself cringing in her sight. Of course, I try to rearrange the memories, to somehow justify my behaviour - but no matter how skilled I become in the arts of deceit, I cannot lie to myself. The truth alone remains: behind her eyes I saw her husband, face locked in death, blood pooling patterns on the cold stone floor.

(We should have buried him. I owed him that at least.)

Normally, she hides her feelings well. But, caught in my own troubles, I speak daggers where I mean none, and her facade crumbles. She rages at my attitude, my indifference - and then she is shouting, but I cannot hear the words. Finally, hot anger cools to bitter disappointment, and she disappears into the crowded city. I didn't see her again. I hope she forgives me.

The ranger makes no argument, too broken inside to realise the truth behind my lies. The innkeeper was kind enough to employ him and give him a room, which was all I could do for him. Rashemen would never take him back, for without his friend and charge his dejemma is failed. He is nothing - just another piece of flotsam washed up on the city shores.

I told him we would go our separate ways for a while, that I had other things to do, that I would return for him in a few days. Now a week has passed, and I doubt he has even noticed my absence. Before my departure I would sometimes see him through the inn window, cleaning tables and absently staring into space. It is better this way. Those that walk with me inevitably die for me, or perhaps because of me.

The thief was harder to escape. This has always puzzled me - he knew us but briefly, and cared nothing for our stories or my failures. I tried to leave him there, concocted some lie to distract him, but my words were for nothing. For days afterwards he stalked me, a dark figure shadowing my movements, hooded eyes watching the endless aimless circles I traced throughout the city. Eventually he disappeared, and I heard he had died in a back alley, his throat slit by some past associate. Perhaps this is true, but I am no longer interested enough to check.

The living are relatively easy to discard or evade, but the dead cling to us for far longer a time. The fighter and the mage wait round every corner, in every unknown face, begging me to take revenge. She, meanwhile, lurks in my dreams. I remember her as I last saw her: a living ghost, haunted by shadows, running scared in Irenicus' carnival of horrors. I have heard it said that death lives inside each one of us, appearing the moment we are born and waiting for the moment we die. In the past I scorned this as a simple folk tale, until I watched her in the tunnels, and saw death lurking beneath her skin. Perhaps death is pretty. Either way, it will have stolen her from me now, as the wizards in the promenade stole her before, and the march of time before that. It breaks my heart to think of her, and every day her face is fading.

Last night, I dreamt of a voyage on a sea of glass, beneath a sky of fire. I was travelling to an island, a prison on a hill, but I do not remember why. I awoke in the Trademeet inn, as I do every morning, and went downstairs to begin drinking, as I do every day. I tell myself that today I will return to Athkatla, that I will reassemble my party, that we will save those friends still living and avenge those who are not. But this is a lie. An empty promise, made to calm the knot of rage in my stomach until the alcohol dissolves it completely. And so I fall once more to dull remembrances of the friends and fathers left flailing in my wake.

I averted a war, saved a continent, murdered my brother. They said I was a hero, and I agreed with them. Then I agreed, but now...now I know the truth. I am tired of constantly running or fighting, of the endless rounds of murder and hatred. I am a coward.

So I sit in a empty town bar, paralysed by guilt and indecision. I try to plan my return, but whenever Irenicus floats into my mind, he drags my former comrades behind him, and my sorrows redouble. And then I turn back to the drink.

In my world, people die. And still I do nothing about it.

#2 Guest_zan_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 10:18 AM

Hard critique or soft critique - whatever floats yer boat ;)

#3 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 12:25 PM

> This was originally going to be another instalment in the "zan's bad

> poetry" series. But zan's a kind soul deep down, and decided to at

> least spare you all that.

> This is a twist, albeit one which would leave us without a game.

Wow. I don't have anything to critique, here, but then I too am a terrible proofreader (gee, a bunch of great authors and trrible proofreaders. I'm surprised no one has hired any of us yet ;) My only quibble is that... you killed Yoshi!! *beats zan with a pillow* Other than that (actually, even including that) this was a magnificent twist. Very well written, we don't get enough 1st person POV around here I think. Very well done... huh, a drunken Bhaalspawn. Not someone you'd want to encounter... anywhere. :)

#4 Requiem

Posted 10 April 2001 - 12:45 PM

> Hard critique or soft critique - whatever floats yer boat :)

Okay, I'll try my worst ;)

First of all: A lot of atmosphere, very good, one can almost feel his guilt.

But there was one thing that I missed: The little detail which changed the whole plot.

Maybe I read too many 'elseworld' stories.

For example: What if The Kents drove over a nail, and their car had a breakdown, so they would not find the little baby from planet Krypton? -> A world without Superman? (Do You know that issue?)

What I want to say, is that You might think about including such a trigger like the nail, to explain, why Your version is so different from the story in the game.

#5 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 02:07 PM

> Okay, I'll try my worst ;)

> First of all: A lot of atmosphere, very good, one can almost feel his

> guilt.

> But there was one thing that I missed: The little detail which changed the

> whole plot.

Grief?

Survivor's guilt?

Perhaps a deeper exploration of why this was, finally, too much is in order, but not all world-splitting decisions have to be dramatic. If you take the branching alternate universes theory to its logical conclusion, then every time I choose to check in here instead of finishing my taxes can, potentially, split off a new universe.

I would, however, expect Irenicus to come after the drunken BhaalSpawn. The whole "He must be tested" business never made any sense to me.

City of Sorrows

#6 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 02:21 PM

Ouch.

This has really great atmosphere, but left me a little saddened, which I guess was the point.

Are you *sure* you don't think you're good at dark fics? ;)

I know you don't like to do series, but this would make a great one, IMO, with a rather different plot than the one we've come to expect.

-Nyx

#7 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 02:23 PM

> I know you don't like to do series, but this would make a great one, IMO,

> with a rather different plot than the one we've come to expect.

What, sitting in a bar drinking? (Where's Cor when you need him? ;) Actually, it would make a great series, or little collection of stories. I'm interested in seeing what happens when Jon starts getting impatient.

#8 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 02:29 PM

> What, sitting in a bar drinking? (Where's Cor when you need him? ;)

> Actually, it would make a great series, or little collection of stories.

> I'm interested in seeing what happens when Jon starts getting impatient.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Um, the part about Jon getting impatient, not the part about a bunch of stories about drinking. :)

-Nyx

#9 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 02:38 PM

> Wow. I don't have anything to critique, here, but then I too am a terrible

> proofreader (gee, a bunch of great authors and trrible proofreaders. I'm

> surprised no one has hired any of us yet ;)

*grin* Nothing leapt out at me on the first read. If I see anything on an editor's read, I'll let zan know.

> My only quibble is that... you killed Yoshi!! *beats zan with a pillow*

Should I feel left out? You didn't throw things at me when I killed Yoshi.

*ducking and running, very very fast*

> we don't get enough 1st person POV around here I think.

Am I alone in feeling rather self-indulgent whenever I try a first person POV? I always feel like an angsty teenager when I use it.

City of Sorrows

#10 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 02:43 PM

> Should I feel left out? You didn't throw things at me when I killed

> Yoshi.

No, you were supposed to kill him. That's ok, but leaving him to rot in a dark alley... I... *sniff* excuse me... ;)

> Am I alone in feeling rather self-indulgent whenever I try a first person

> POV? I always feel like an angsty teenager when I use it.

Yeah, so so I. Wait, I am an angsty teenager! Oh, well that makes sense! :)

#11 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 02:48 PM

Any idea why? Just curious. :o

Personally, I can't write 3rd person for my life, anymore. I really have no idea why; I've only recently started using 1st at all. And Symphony was my first present tense story, but that has now taken over my life and I feel awkward in past. Aaargh, this is annoying. I don't even *like* present tense.

I'll just console myself by saying it's a "Darvith thing."

-Nyx

#12 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 02:56 PM

> No, you were supposed to kill him. That's ok, but leaving him to rot in a

> dark alley... I... *sniff* excuse me... :o

Better than letting him die from the geas, assuming that the story zan's Child heard wasn't just someone's attempt at explaining a mysterious death.

But yeah, I can kill him, but let someone else do it? *bawl*

> Yeah, so so I. Wait, I am an angsty teenager! Oh, well that makes sense!

> ;)

*snicker*

City of Sorrows

#13 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 03:32 PM

>> Am I alone in feeling rather self-indulgent whenever I try a first person

>> POV? I always feel like an angsty teenager when I use it.

> Any idea why? Just curious. :o

Probably because I used it a lot when I was an angsty teenager. ;)

It also feels strange to me to go from 1st person to a descriptive passage or to a summary/transition. I feel a bit pressured to not summarize except by reflection on the POVC's part.

And it's harder for me to keep myself and my character separate with 1st person. Too much of me starts slipping in.

City of Sorrows

#14 Guest_zan_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 03:54 PM

> Better than letting him die from the geas, assuming that the story zan's

> Child heard wasn't just someone's attempt at explaining a mysterious

> death.

That was sort of the implication...that perhaps Irenicus became too impatient, and Yoshimo's time ran out. On the other hand, perhaps the death was mundane. Left it open, really.

> But yeah, I can kill him, but let someone else do it? *bawl*

Just don't turn into the slayer again :o

#15 Guest_zan_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 04:08 PM

> *grin* Nothing leapt out at me on the first read. If I see anything on an

> editor's read, I'll let zan know.

Cheers, much appreciated :) (zan is pedantic, but in an enormously hypocritical way)

> Should I feel left out? You didn't throw things at me when I killed

> Yoshi.

Ah, but you gave him a heroic and tearjerking death, whereas I gave him the worst fate of all - dying off-screen :o (the old soap staple for naughty actors)

Well...zan is a teenager, though not angsty in the slightest. (Heheh, the writing may suggest otherwise! ;)) I think it's becuase of the confessional diary connotations - I admit, I've never written a journal, but I would imagine it to be from first person. When I start writing bad poetry and turning goth, you have permission to shoot me.

(Looks back at "Love's Labours Lamented")

(examines dyed red hair in the mirror)

(ducks bullets)

But I see your point, and I think first person wouldn't work so well over a series, where the main aim is to tell a story. But zan can't do series, and isn't much good at telling stories either. I just do snapshots instead, which for me work better in first person. (What was it Leo called them...vignettes?) Hence this piece, and those about Keldorn and Haer'Dalis, being from this perspective - it's about getting in their heads. I admire the genuine narrators here, who manage to create entire stories from the outside looking in, rather than the inside looking out. Your City of Sorrows is a prime example of this - the ability to tell a story without locking yourself away in a character's head.

So, that's sort of my excuse, really. Bit of a ramble ;)

But the most important reason is this: given that she keeps referring to herself as a separate person, zan has to write in first person somewhere ;D

#16 Guest_Arelius_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 04:21 PM

> This is a twist, albeit one which would leave us without a game.

Yes, and a very deep one that. Way cool, zan. The images it brings, of a man with no soul that has truly lost his way, are moving indeed.

Arelius

#17 Guest_zan_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 04:33 PM

> That's exactly what I was thinking. Um, the part about Jon getting

> impatient, not the part about a bunch of stories about drinking. :o

Oh, damn. And I thought I finally had a series all worked out ;)

#18 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 04:40 PM

> When I start writing bad

> poetry and turning goth, you have permission to shoot me.

> (Looks back at "Love's Labours Lamented")

> (examines dyed red hair in the mirror)

> (ducks bullets)

But... zan... that was GOOD poetry... :o

> But I see your point, and I think first person wouldn't work so well over

> a series, where the main aim is to tell a story.

Two words: Bethphel's Diary. ;)

Well, more than two, actually. One of my favorite authors (Chuck Palanhiuk) constantly writes in first person, and many wonderful novels are written in 1st, too. So it really depends on how you're working, I guess.

> Your City of Sorrows is a prime example of this - the ability to tell a

> story without locking yourself away in a character's head.

Yeah, but there are many ways of telling a story, and I like locking myself away in a character's head. :) Actually, third person isn't really all that different, when used in limited form instead of omniscient. I know when I used to write 3rd all the time, it was almost as introspective as my 1st. I guess I'm just an introspective person. ;)

> But the most important reason is this: given that she keeps referring to

> herself as a separate person, zan has to write in first person somewhere

> ;D

LOL ;)

-Nyx

#19 Guest_zan_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 04:44 PM

> This has really great atmosphere, but left me a little saddened, which I

> guess was the point.

thanks, I consider it a compliment ;) zan aims for a slight air of sadness/regret...melancholia rather than all-out tragedy.

> Are you *sure* you don't think you're good at dark fics? :o

Eh, they don't usually work. This one turned out better than I expected. As I've said, it's a very fine line between melancholy and melodrama ;)

> I know you don't like to do series, but this would make a great one, IMO,

> with a rather different plot than the one we've come to expect.

Worth considering. It's not that I don't *like* to do series, I admire those who can. Unfortunately for zan, she lacks the required attention span, as well as the ability to see everything at the right detail. It's either the whole of the picture, or tiny snapshots from inside someone's head - the middle ground eludes me.

Plus there's the whole plotting thing (ooh, how eloquent :)), as well as splitting the story up in an appropriate manner. Partwork is difficult - Dickens had trouble with it, though I suppose serials are different to series.

Still, a tricky business, and one which zan doesn't think she's capable of. Maybe when I've had more practice at writing ;)

A good idea though, and I can see a few ways it would turn out. Perhaps as a optimistic tale of redemption, where the PC finds their way once more - or a darker tale of self-doubt and indecision. Or a tale where the PC never leaves the bar, drinking themselves silly whilst Irenicus and Bodhi wait around and complain outside. ;)

#20 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 10 April 2001 - 04:51 PM

> thanks, I consider it a compliment :) zan aims for a slight air of

> sadness/regret...melancholia rather than all-out tragedy.

zan's aim is true, that's for certain. I haven't seen her miss yet. :o

> Eh, they don't usually work. This one turned out better than I expected.

> As I've said, it's a very fine line between melancholy and melodrama ;)

Melodrama is good... well, not for prolonged times, though. :)

> Plus there's the whole plotting thing (ooh, how eloquent ;)), as well as

> splitting the story up in an appropriate manner. Partwork is difficult -

> Dickens had trouble with it, though I suppose serials are different to

> series.

Not much different, to my mind. Uh, actually, I don't know the difference. So ignore me, I really have no idea what I'm talking about. ;)

> Still, a tricky business, and one which zan doesn't think she's capable

> of. Maybe when I've had more practice at writing :)

Never know til you try, though. ;)

> A good idea though, and I can see a few ways it would turn out. Perhaps as

> a optimistic tale of redemption, where the PC finds their way once more -

> or a darker tale of self-doubt and indecision.

There you go! Fascinating either way, to be honest. I don't think the twist necessarily leaves us WITHOUT a game, just with a completely different one. It'd need to be Deep Like Torment, you know? Or like Squaresoft game.

> Or a tale where the PC

> never leaves the bar, drinking themselves silly whilst Irenicus and Bodhi

> wait around and complain outside. ;)

LOL!

Bodhi: I'm tired of standing here, Joneleth.

Jon: He must come out sometime.

Bodhi: Just find someone else!

Jon: Ridiculous. We will have the power of his divine soul! ...I think I will take Imoen's, however. You can have his.

-Nyx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com