2. Mission Inquisitor

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 12 November 2002 - 04:53 PM

2. Mission Inquisitor

7 FLAMERULE 1900
ATHKATLA

They arrived at the gates of Athkatla at dusk a few days later. Word of the end of the Bhaalspawn War hadn't quite reached most of the population yet, and the city seemed to be at the end of a typical day.

"Do you think Keldorn would still be at the Order?" Onyx inquired of Valygar.

"Oh yes, he's been there almost 24-10 lately, actually," Valygar nodded. "He wanted to see you as soon as you could make it."

"Fine, but let's get everyone comfortable first," Onyx smiled, drawing a smile from Aerie.

They headed to the Copper Coronet and got a few of the nicest rooms - the rates had long been a joke to the wealthy adventurers - and got settled in. The justifiably-paranoid group kept their belongings in Bags of Holding on their persons when they went down for dinner, but then Onyx headed straight out the front doors with quick hugs and promises to be back soon.

He made his way through the slums and over the bridge to the temple district. The guards in front of the order gave him polite greetings, and many inside gave him warm welcomes of recognition too.

"Onyx!" Keldorn Firecam appeared with his arm outstretched jovially, and Onyx shook it.

"Even if Val hadn't intercept me, I'd say you seemed almost too happy to see me," Onyx responded in a lowered voice, "Something amiss?"

The inquisitor smiled. "And they say cavaliers aren't as perceptive as we. Come."

Keldorn led Onyx to one of the studies of the Order and closed the door. He ran his fingers along of the bookshelves and began to pull out a book. The tome snapped mechanically back into place and the next bookshelf slid away, revealing a stairway. The two went down it, curving around to a room under the previous one. Onyx could hear the bookshelf above them slide back into place.

Keldorn pushed open the doors to the small room, revealing a much larger one. "Welcome to Quest Command." Various tables were about it, many with flag-dotted maps atop them, others with strange equipment, still others with various papers, documents, and small trinkets such as insignia rings. Paladins and rangers pored over the tables and moved to and fro, discussing military and intelligence matters in jargon. They looked up to give Keldorn cursory nods as he passed by. With Onyx in tow, he came to another door to the main room and opened it. They each stepped into another small room and Keldorn shut the door behind them.

"I was hoping there was more to the Order than the gossiping and armor-polishing of the main floor," Onyx smiled as they sat on opposite sides of a stone table.

Keldorn nodded, "If you are surprised, that is good. Impervious to scrying and teleportation, this place is meant to be unknown to all but certain members of the Order and Lodge, and a very, very small number of others, such as Elminster, Khelben Arunsun, and Lady Alustriel. It remains unknown to all others, and that includes the Council of Six and the rest of Amn's despicable government. Our autonomy and confidentiality are necessary in fighting the wars we fight. You know how the Council fights wars external and internal, one hand tied behind its back, if the members can even said to be fighting on the same side at all. And it's not about to get better. I'll make you privy to the fact that one of the Six recently 'passed away,' and has been succeeded by a gentleman, Dwein Sereindoes - says he's Rashemanian but his accent sounds different to me - who seems all but determined to make sure Amn doesn't lift a finger against corruption, slavery, and even invasion - I hate to think what would happen if anything more than scattered orc hordes were engaging us in open military confrontations right now. Well, don't even get me started about the rumors of a drow witch summoning undead in the graveyard district at night, or a huge man with glowing eyes who's been killing men by the dozens in bar brawls. Someone even showed up at our doorstep this morning, babbling that he'd followed the man carrying the bodies back to the woman in the graveyard for reanimation. Died of shock before we could get any more out of him. Anyway, beyond field command, the Order's forces and quests are managed from here. And that's what I want to talk to you about."

"This is what we call Black Quest, strictly off the books, related intelligence may be in writing where pertaining to, derived from, or gathered for its purpose, but the operation's existence will never be explicitly recorded. Black-Qs are the things that need to be done, but that for whatever reason we'd rather not have the Order's seal upon, and perhaps rather not have the existence of be known at all, lest the forces we're opposing be aided by such knowledge."

"Your cause: As you know, slavery is rampant in Amn, whatever the laws might be. It hasn't been getting any better lately. Dwein's been doing a fantastic job of crippling Amn's efforts against it. Those of the Harpers and our own haven't been going so well for external reasons. With one exception. Some Lodge stalkers temporary disrupted the Shadow Thieves' and Zhentarim's Sword Coast and Amn slaving operations recently with a string of assassinations, but the market supply hasn't seemed to let up."

"Your mission: Determine the identity of this source, be it an undisrupted wing of one of these two organizations, or another group. Calishamite slavers perhaps, who knows. You will do this by infiltrating a known customer of said slaves. The Chaos Circus."

Onyx's jaw dropped. "They're the ones who bought Aerie."

"Yes. The gnome Quayle once bought out them out, freeing those he obtained, most of whom, including your future fiancé, then stayed on with his circus voluntarily. But the ringleaders regrew their circus under the same name, and recently bought a number of slaves from this unknown supplier." Keldorn slid a dossier across the table to Onyx, and the younger paladin began to read it. "Quayle was helpful in getting information about it - could barely get the gnome to shut up, actually - and we have some other sources, such as Valygar and other spies. Obviously, it being an exhibitionist group by nature, some information is easy to get, as you're now reading. You'll note their sorts of exhibits and crew - exotic animals and monsters, armed acrobatics, illusionary and enchantment magic, performers of swashbuckling and bardic ilks, - it's almost like putting an eclectic army under a tent."

"And who are the ringleaders?"

"We don't know much about them, and all the circus's managing and business seems to go directly through them, which is why we know so little about their contacts. Quayle said, and our more recent intelligence confirms, that there are three, but their true names and histories remain unknown. They merely go by titles - they call themselves the Blade, the Skald, and the Jester."

"That's about as much as Aerie knew or at least remembered. She scarcely even met them."

"I thought as much, Quayle told us what she told him."

"And is it a total coincidence that now you're asking me to pursue them?"

"Yes and no. Likely I would have anyway - after the Bhaalspawn War and your other adventures, you've proven yourself one of our most formidable members in the field, despite your green age. Your recent high profile is obviously a liability in a Black-Q, though."

"No one really identifies me on sight. Only the name is known."

"Yes, exactly, so I didn't think it'd be a problem. So in that respect, it's a coincidence. But I expect your personal desires for justice and revenge will only add to your resolve in this mission, and I have faith that they won't cloud your judgment - don't disappoint me. When we learned about Chaos Circus's purchase from Valygar and decided to target them, the connection caused you to come to mind, so it that respect it's no coincidence. It was Valygar who first thought of using you; I suppose Aerie must have told him her story during your adventures."

"Yeah, she couldn't stop talking about her past, actually. Nearly drove Jaheira insane."

"Well, on that note, we need to figure out who else to bring on board. Valygar is definitely in. He knows the Chaos Circus's current location and probable upcoming movements - to Beregost as he may have said - and they'll be easy for him to track, wherever they go. "

"Am I the first or only Order member you've asked?"

"Not quite, I've asked and recruited one other, whom you know. Sir Anomen Delryn,"

Onyx raised his eyebrows but nodded. "He is true of mind and arm. He doesn't seem like the Black-Q type, though."

"I shared your sentiments when I first go to know him. Didn't expect him to agree, but now that he has, I've no doubts."

"What about your squire, the one I met near the Gate? Ajantis Ilvastarr?"

"He's still at the Gate. He and some companions spent the past year routing the rest of the Iron Throne. Did a hell of a job, too. He'll be a full member next time he sets foot in the door here. Might have a hard time convincing him to stay though, I hear they've offered him the Captain of the Guard position of old Scar, rest his soul. Probably make him High Protector before you know it. That city hasn't had one for a while, and needs it. Now, I want to ask about your companions. Who do you think we can trust, and who would be in?"

"We already spoke about it when Valygar found us. As long as there are evil butts involved, Minsc will be in for sure. Heck, he's Aerie's sworn bodyguard and will enjoy avenging her almost as much as I. And he can keep a secret much better than you'd think."

"What about your other adventuring companions?"

"I'll ask Aerie, Nalia, and Imoen again, but I don't expect anything. Nalia has a lot to do in Athkatla - has to try to win rights over her family's Keep and she's also been eager to see her friend Eroanne - one of the secret six councilmembers, as I'm sure you are privy to and I happen to know - I suspect Miss de'Arnise has political aspirations herself, and I think that's great. Imoen has been planning to return to Candlekeep for a while and Aerie and I were planning to join her. Now that this has come up I won't be, I'm afraid, but the three of them firmly decided to take breaks after the Bhaalspawn War and Aerie is still going to want to go with Imoen. She's going to be upset that we'll be apart another few weeks, but she'll understand the cause. And I can't say I'm too upset my sister and fiancé will be staying out of harm's way for once."

"And so I gather you do not trust Jaheira?" Keldorn inferred.

Although Onyx had been planning to explain this next anyway, a sad look came over her face.

"Correct. She'd actually be more likely to agree to the mission, but the nature of it might cause conflicts to arise down the road. At best, she'd leave, at worst, she might actually try to hinder us."

Keldorn's exasperated face was more readable now. "Druids," it said. He spoke verbally. "But do you trust her enough to swear her to secrecy if you ask?"

"Yes," Onyx stated.

Keldorn nodded, and it was understood by both that any hesitation on Onyx's answer just now would have been tantamount to his saying "no."

"Then ask. I understand that Aerie wouldn't be too happy about you and her adventuring, and though we both value your personal considerations we both know they are subservient."

Onyx nodded resolutely, but asked "And how did my personal relations become intelligence?"

Keldorn gave his fellow paladin a sad smirk. "Song more than intelligence, my friend. You were already an adventurer of some repute by...that time..and some bards in the city claim they were more than happy to slip your former Kara-Turan companion some coins in exchange for more...personal...details of your exploits, which he claimed to have overheard in your company."

Onyx nearly pounded the table. "Damn that Yoshimo! Damn neutrals! And now you're asking me to take along one?"

Keldorn sighed. "She's different, Onyx. The only reason she's not still a Harper was her vehemence in defending you. You can trust her."

"I'll ask her.." It was understood that despite his concerns he'd still try to the best of his ability to recruit her. "Assuming I can't get the other three on board, that still leaves us without any thieves or mages.”

"You may not need them. A traveling circus isn't going to be like breaking into a fortress. But just in case, I've recruited a few such agents."

Onyx gulped. "Tell me it's not that gnome. As useful as he is, there's no way he could keep his mouth shut."

Keldorn laughed. "No, not your friend Jan - although he'll be providing a few tools, but we'll get to that later." Keldorn passed Onyx another dossier.

Onyx opened it and read it so that Keldorn could hear him, using inflection to convey his opinions on the information.

"Harper Agent 006: Arra Flyte. Female elf. Age confidential, appears young. Fighter, thief, and mage. Alignment (divined 4 Flamerule 69) Neutral Good. Last assignment: Obtained intelligence from Thay High War Council and assassination of Premiere Valon Esserov, believed to have masterminded Thayvian counter-intelligence efforts, resulting in the discovery and deaths of 5 Harper agents in Thay, and to have planted in Amn several Thayvian agents with possible Red Wizard affiliations. Subsequent elimination of two; presence of any remaining agents unknown."

"Harper Agent 007: Jarek Bond. Male human. Age 35. Swashbuckler and mage. Alignment (divined 2 Flamerule 69) Chaotic Good. Last assignment: Quest to Calimshan to investigate possible purchase by Caliph Am-sadd Shusein of spell components for a theoretical Mass Cause Disease spell. Sabotaged attempts of Shusein but was taken captive. Somehow convinced one of Shusein's wives to release him. Slew Shusein and escaped, but latest intelligence indicates the caliph may have been resurrected and begun renewing his efforts."

"I detect approval in your voice."

"Most assuredly. When do I meet them?"

"When you begin the quest. Jan Jansen residence, basement, tomorrow at 0600. Anomen will be there too, as will Valygar and whomever of the aforementioned you recruit. Barring further questions, dismissed."

“One more thing. This is an intelligence gathering mission, but interference is at your discretion. You are licensed to smite.”

Arra Flyte
Female Elf
Neutral Good
Fighter/Thief/Mage
Level 20/23/18
STR 18(45)
DEX 19
CON 11
INT 17
WIS 12
CHA 16
Halberds ++