Photo

18. Of Trout and Monsters

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Weyoun

Posted 03 November 2002 - 09:39 AM

Writer's comment : Ah! The cabin! Loved to write this one. I figured every family would like to have a vacation now and then, why not Viconia's? I've used Merella's cabin for their cabin, though, after some mental remodelling, since it looked more like a basement than a cabin.

Of Trout and Monsters

The morningsun lit up the room with cheery and playful light as it shone through the window of the bedroom of the Cabin near Imnesvale Karis and Viconia owned... The light was bright enough to wake Karis, who stirred and stretched a little. Looking at his side, he smiled as he noticed Viconia still sleeping peacefully with her back turned to him. She was still breathing in a stready rythm as Karis snaked his arms around her waist lovingly and buried his face in her hair. He was immediately overcome with both the silken softness and the sweet smell of her long, bone-white hair. It was like he was strolling through a field of spring-flowers at morning, when the dew would dance on the soft petals of the many fragrant flowers...

"Are you sniffing my hair again?" Viconia murmered sleepily, but still with a hint of amusement.

Karis said nothing, but merely raised his head, pulled Viconia a little closer to him and kissed the side of her neck.

"Pervert," Viconia chuckled softly.

"Good morning to you too, Viconia," Karis chuckled in reply.

Viconia stretched once, turned to face her lover and leaned in for a passionate kiss.

"Better?" Viconia asked, as they broke the kiss.

"Better," Karis replied.

"My, my," Viconia chuckled, "that was quite a night, wasn't it?"

"Oh, yeah..." Karis half-joked in reply.

"I wonder how the simple setting of a log-cabin, faraway from civilization, can inflame such passions," Viconia chuckled. "That bearskin in front of the fireplace saw more action this night alone then when it was alife..."

"It must be one of those secrets of the universe, that will never be solved," Karis replied jokingly.

Ah, the cabin... About four years ago, Karis stumbled upon it during a visit to Imnesvale and bought it for a small price. The cabin itself was situated at a beautiful location, surrounded by the serenity of nature and laying near a stream where trout was plentiful. All-in-all, the perfect place to go to when you want to get away from things... Karis, Viconia and Vierna went over to the cabin at least once a year now, for vacation, for fun, or simply to enjoy each others company as a family.

Karis smiled to himself when he remembered the day they went to the cabin for the first time. The best way to reach the cabin was by horseback instead of walking, but Viconia was completely unwilling to ride a horse. While Karis had learned to ride pretty quickly, Viconia was not as enthusiastic about the whole experience as he was. The first time she stepped on a horse, she ended up facing the rear-end of the beast and the second time, she was thrown off the horse only a few moments after mounting the beast. And neither did the speed of a running horse, nor the height of the ground agree with her...

In the end, she agreed to ride... the delivery boy's mule Drufidius. Finding Drufidius' height and speed a little more comfortable, she rode alongside Karis and Vierna on his horse. Even then, the two-year old Vierna was rather vexxed that the horse couldn't ride faster, because otherwise Dufidius carrying her mother wouldn't be able to keep up.

This went on for two years until Jan visited the keep one day, saw Viconia ride in Drufidius when she came back from vacation and regaled her with the story of his cousin Eggbert and the Spectral Clydesdale called FlatHooves... Anyway, the challenge was made and Viconia learned horsebackriding in recordtime, leaving a relieved Drufidius in the stables this year...

"Toril to Karis..." Viconia singsonged.

"Hmm?" Karis replied. "Oh, sorry..."

"Am I that boring?" Viconia mock-pouted. "Or were you dreaming again?" Viconia chuckled as she put her head on Karis' chest.

"Definately not boring," Karis told his lover as he kissed her again...

"That is good to know," Viconia murmered, "Do you think our little warrior is already up?"

Karis chuckled as he remembered the arguments Viconia had had with Minsc only a week ago. After a long time, Viconia had finally conceded when Minsc (well, Boo actually) had argumented even little adventurers had to be prepared for the bad monsters that would come... Vierna could use the experience for when she will become a real adventurer!

Vierna was ecstatic when she was give her first sword : A small wooden shortsword. The problem was that Vierna was just a little to eager with her new toy. The result : Two priceless vases shattered to bits within the same about of minutes.

That and the fact that both Karis and Viconia (to a lesser degree) had finally finished overseeing the planning and construction of the new irration-system, made them decide to take a short vacation to the countryside. Vierna always loved being here, even though it meant being away from her friends and home. She loved nature and, on more than one occasion, had snuck out of her room at early mornings to explore the forest. Viconia, of course, went ballistic when she found out her daughter was running around a wild forest unguarded. Summoning an Aerial Servant to guard over her precious girl when she was out in the forest solved that problem to a degree, but Viconia was still uneasy...

"I think Vierna is still asleep this morning," Karis told his lover. "I promised to teach her how to fish trout..."

"Hmmmm," Viconia smiled, "we'll eat well tonight, then! Do you want me to cook?"

"Ermmm," Karis replied, remembering the apple-pie incident a few weeks back. "Better let me do the cooking..."

"Well," Viconia chuckled, "you already cook for me and clean the cabin... It's certainly nice to have a house-slave again."

"Wipe that grin of your face," Karis joked. "It's simply because if you'd cook the trout, we wouldn't be able to taste the difference between the fish and the coal it was baked on!"

"Careful, jaluk," Viconia joked. "Or I might be forced to cut out your tongue, cook it and make you eat it!"

Karis simply smiled, kissed Viconia once more and got out of bed. "I'll go see if Vierna is awake yet," Karis said to her. "And I'll fix all of us some break-fast..."

"Hmmm," Viconia murmered. "I'll think I'll be lazy today and keep sleeping for another few hours..."

"Go ahead," Karis said as he got dressed. "It's your vacation too, you know..."

"I was thinking we might go for a swim tonight," Viconia mused. "Remember that little lake Vierna found yesterday? We could go swimming in the moonlight..."

"I don't remember packing any swimsuits..." Karis replied.

"Silly ssinsrig," Viconia added with a sly wink. "Those would only get in the way!"

"It's a date... But you know what?" Karis asked.

"What?" Viconia murmered sleepily as she turned to lie on her stomach.

"I think that if you'd bake my tongue, it'd still taste better than your trout..."

Karis made it out of the bedroom just in time to avoid the pillow being flung at him...

---

Vierna was peacefully sleeping in her bed. This made quite a refreshing change from the times she was up and about way before everyone else at the Keep... Her cat, Kitty, was sleeping next to her in the small bed, curled up in a little ball and purring silently. Vierna had insisted on bringing her cat along with her on vacation, since Vierna claimed Kitty would miss her if she didn't tale her with her.

Almost feeling sorry to wake her up, Karis quietly told her it was morning, and that they would have to hurry if they were to catch the biggest trout. After a quick breakfast and a few giggles, father and daughter were off to the troutstream.

"Daddy?" Vierna asked while they left the cabin, and her father grabbed a long wooden pole from the shed beside the cabin, "Isn't momma coming with us?"

"No," Karis replied, while he handed the tiny Drow a shorter bamboo pole. "She's sleeping late, today..."

"She slept late yesterday too," Vierna pouted, "I really want my momma to see me when I catch the biggest fish in the stream!"

"You can show her your catch when we get back, Vierna," Karis smiled.

"Daddy?" Vierna asked again. "Tomorrow, can we go explore the forests?"

"If you want... But no more running off alone like yesterday..." Karis chuckled. "You almost gave your mother a heart-attack when she couldn't find you your bed!" Karis looked over his shoulder. No doubt the Aerial Servant his lover had summoned was following them at a discrete distance, or even in an invisible state. Viconia told him the servant was instructed to cast a 'Powerword Sleep'-spell on Vierna and whisk her away, if she would be in danger.

"I'm sorry," Vierna pouted, remembering how upset her momma had been. "It's just that.... I like the forest a lot, and I just really wanna be there bad... I dunno know why..."

"It's because you are a little elf," Karis chuckled and tickled her belly making Vierna shake with giggles. "And all elves like the forests," Karis said, not mentioning the evil world of the Spider-worshipping Drow...

---

Eventually, the two arrived at the spot where the trout were literally jumping out of the water. It took only a few moments to set up their equipment and start fishing. The only big problem was with the bait; the worms, in fact. Even after facing digusting Mindflayers, creepy Slimes, smelly Otyughs and rotting undead, the worms writhing in his hands still disgusted Karis to no degree. Vierna, however, had no problems with it and had put the worm on her hook without problems, and while Karis was still staring disgustedly at the worms in his hands, she cheerfully offered to put the worm on his hook as well...

"Okay, Vierna," Karis said. "Remember to throw your line as far to the middle of the river as possible, that's where the biggest fish are!" Karis swooped his fishingrod forward. Vierna did the same, making sure the sharp hook wouldn't hit her, like her daddy had warned her about.

After a while of silently staring at the water, Vierna spoke up,

"Daddy?"

"Yes, kiddo?"

"Am I catching fish yet?"

"Yes..."

"Are they biting?"

"We'll see in a moment?"

After a few moments of silence, Vierna spoke up once more.

"Daddy?"

"Vierna?"

"Have I caught a fish yet?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"You've got to have some more patience."

"Pate-ien-ce?"

"Yes, the fish has to see the bait and has to make up its mind if they want to eat it or not... Sometimes that can take hours before a fish goes for it..."

"HOURS?!"

"Yep... Sorry kiddo."

"Awwwwww...."

Karis smiled and ruffled his daughter's hair a bit. He was surprised, however, when the mask on his daughter's face turned into one of grim determination while holding on to her fishing-rod with both hands. It seemed her short attention-span was of less importance than the thought of making her mother proud of her, and not to mention happy with a fine meal!

"Daddy?" Vierna asked again after a while. "Tell me about grandpappy Gorion again?"

"Why do you ask?" Karis said as he wondered why Vierna had brought this up again.

"Well, Rowen went to visit his grandparents in Gullykin some weeks ago, and I just wondered about my own grandparents..." Vierna replied. "Rowen says grandparents are real nice and give you sweets and tell you about everything and stuff! And... and I don't have any grandparents..." Vierna pouted.

"I'll teach you everything Gorion taught me, Vierna," Karis said sadly. "But it would have been nice to have him around to teach you. He would have liked you very much, Vierna,"

"Are you sad, daddy?" Vierna pouted again. "Please don't be..."

"He was my father, kiddo," Karis said. "And he died trying to protect me. I'll never forget that."

"He was almost as wise as momma, wasn't he?" Vierna said as she hugged her father.

"Yes," Karis chuckled. "Almost..."

"Daddy?" Vierna asked again. "Grandpappy Gorion wasn't my read grandfather was he?"

'Uh-oh,' Karis thought, 'we're sailing dangerous waters here!'

"It's just that," Vierna started, "Clarissa has grandparents, Shivon has grandparents, Rowen had grandparents, but I don't... But I must have had grandparents! You and momma must have had mommies and daddies too!"

'Ouch... how do I handle this?' Karis thought. 'Yeah, quite a lineage... A dead God of Murder and a priestess-assassin from your father's side and Matron Ginafae DeVir, only the most sadistic and cruel Matron Mother Menzoberranzan had ever known from her mother's side! Then there was Viconia's unknown father, but knowing Drow society, he must have been an evil bugger too!'

"Daddy!" Vierna suddenly shouted, interrupting his train of thought. He noticed one of the trouts had take the bait and was tugging on Vierna's line violently now. 'Phew... saved for now,' he thought as he got up to help Vierna to reel in her fish, 'Maybe she'll forget about this for a week or so. I'll have to talk with Viconia about this soon...'

"Lookatthat!" Vierna shouted as the trout she had caught jumped above the water. It was big... About as long as Vierna stood tall!

Seeing Vierna was not strong enough to real this fish in, Karis added his own strength by grabbing the top end of the rod with one hand as Vierna was frantically pulling on her fishingrod. A few minutes later, the struggle was over and a large trout lay defeated on the riverbank.

"Did you see that, daddy?" Vierna giggled and clapped in her hands. "I caught that fish! I caught it!"

"You sure did, kiddo!" Karis smiled,

Without warning, Vierna wrapped her small hand around the tail of the trout, pulled it off the ground and ran off into the forests.

"Vierna! WAIT!" Karis yelled as he ran after her.

"I gotta show momma!" Vierna giggled in reply.

---

Giggling all they way to the cabin, Vierna kept on running until she came to a glade in the forests. She could feel the life of the forest surrounding her... It made her feel all tickly and funny inside... Suddenly, though, she noticed that she was not alone in this glade. Slightly startled, Vierna noticed five monsters sitting around a small fire cooking fish... Vierna recognized the monsters from pictures she had seen in her 'A child's book of Monsters in the Realms'...

There were two ogres, a minotaur, an orc and a dog-faced gnoll... Suddenly, one of the ogres turned away from their would-be meal and faced the girl with a toothy grin.

"Child? What'e are..." the ogre began, but never got the chance to finish...

"NO!" Vierna shouted. "This is MY FISH! I chaught it myself and I'm gonna show it to momma and eat it!"

"Fish? I'se don't..."

"I'm not gonna let MEAN monsters like you steal my FISH!" Vierna shouted and stuck out her purple tongue...

"You'se a Drow child? How'd..."

"And if you try to take my fish, I'll kick you in the shins!" Vierna stated adamantly, stuck her tongue out once more and ran off from whence she came, leaving five very confused monsters behind.

---

Karis sped through the forest, having lost track of Vierna only a short while back. It was at these times that he cursed being a half-elf instead of a full elf. A full elf wouldn't have had much troubles with navigating and tracking in the forests... Well, at least the Aerial Servant would follow her everywhere she went, but Karis was still filled with unease. Then came a stroke of luck; Vierna had run through the underbush, leaving a trail of broken branches behind. But Karis didn't need to follow it. From a distance came the sound of tiny feet approaching him...

"Daddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddydaddy...." Vierna shouted as she ran towards him, her trout trailing behind her.

"Whoa," Karis stated as Vierna jumped in his arms. Supporting her with his arms, he asked Vierna what was going on.

"Monsters, daddy!" Vierna said while pointing in the direction she came from. "We have to kill them, daddy! We have to kill the bad monsters!"

"Monsters?" Karis asked... "We?" he added wryly.

"I have my sword in my pack, daddy!" Vierna said excitedly.

'Damn...' Karis thought, 'I didn't think about bringing a weapon... But wait a minute, shouldn't the Aerial Servant have brought Vierna home right now? Unless, these monsters didn't have any evil intent... And the only monsters who didn't have evil intent around these parts are...' A smiled cracked across Karis' face.

"Let's go see these 'monsters', kiddo..." Karis said, making Vierna raise her eyebrows in surprise.

---

"Madulf!" Karis greeted happily as he walked into the glade where the group of 'monsters' were sitting.

"Ah!" The Ogre-mage replied, "is'e half-elf who helps us fellows!"

As the other 'monsters' grunted a greeting, Vierna turned to her father... "You... You know these monsters, daddy?"

"Yes," Karis laughed, "I helped them out a few years back, before you were born... Vierna, this is Madulf. Madulf, this is my daughter Vierna."

"Is'e nice to meet you..." Madulf replied,

"Hi!" Vierna greeted happily.

"You know," Karis said as he sat on a stone and motioned his daughter to sit beside him, "you should never judge a book by it's cover. Madulf might be an ogre, but he's very nice."

"Oh? But... but... he's a monster!" Vierna replied in disbelief.

"Did you know that many people would call your mother a monster too?" Karis said sadly.

"Nah," Vierna dismissed this statement with a wave of a tiny hand. "Everybody loves my momma!"

Karis snickered, but still felt a lump of sadness in his throat. "Your mother has had to fight very hard to get the respect she deserves. And, for her, it'll still be a never-ending struggle. You see, many people tend to judge by reputation alone..."

"Is'e very hard to live normal life," Madulf added. "We'se fellows are settled now, but people'se always called the knights to kill us even if we didn't want to harm anyone..."

"So judging a book by its cover can lead to misunderstanding and needless bloodshed sometimes," Karis concluded.

"Is that something grandpappy Gorion taught you?" Vierna asked, and was answered with a smile and a nod from Karis.

Then, Vierna turned to Madulf with her eyes downcast. "I'm sorry," she said softly.

"Is'e okay, little Drow girl..." Madulf smiled that toothy grin again, "Ey, would you like me to fry that trout for you? It'se be real good!"

"Okay," Vierna replied, "But I wanna show it to momma first!"

---

"Karis," Viconia greeted as she stepped out on the porch. "How was the fishing trip?"

"We ran into some old friends," Karis said with a smile.

"Oh?" Viconia asked.

"And Vierna wants to show you her catch... Quite a big trout too." Karis added.

"So," Viconia asked again, "where is she then?"

"She's with Madulf and his fellows, telling them that story about Firkraag I told her yesterday. And she's waiting for us to turn up. We'll be eating out tonight..."

"Sounds good, but," Viconia added while she and Karis embraced for a moment, "we are still going swimming tonight..."

"Good idea," Karis replied and kissed his lover on the lips. "But remember to wait an hour after the evening meal, or we'll drown..."

"If I'm going have to wait an hour," Viconia grinned evilly. "I'll be the one drowning you instead of your full belly..."

"Have I told that I loved you recently?" Karis half-joked,

"Only every three minutes," Viconia chuckled, "And... I love you too, Karis... I don't say that often enough do I?"

"It makes the words more precious to hear, Viconia..." Karis smiled.

Talking and chuckling all the way, the two lovers made their way to the glade where Vierna and her catch of the day, were waiting for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com