Episode 9: Fragmented Moments.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dashael_*

Posted 02 November 2002 - 02:39 PM

Since he had come to town, under the guise of the lamented Mr Bandon, Talon had been renting himself as a lowly cutpurse, thug and burglar in Bandon's name, and by now he was recognized by that name by several key figures in the Shadow Thieves guild.

"Oi Bandon," A black cloaked figure had whispered from the shadows as Talon left the one of the more elaborate homes in the government district, having just blackmailed a certain artist over some perverse sexual activities Lehtinan had told him about.

Talon wheeled instinctively, Tooth and Claw unsheathed and ready as if by magic. Passersby continued to pass by and no one noticed the two men in the shadows, it was as if both men where apart from, and a part of, the milling traffic around them.

"Coo! Easy does it mate, if I'd wish'd harm I'd not have come alone, and I have believe me."
"Say your piece and make it quick." Talon commanded, not raising his voice above a whisper and not sheathing his blades.
"Ye move fast for an upstart, I was told you ran Lotus till last week, now you've got you been spotted duckin' in and outta justa bout ev'ry shadow in town. Got's the fellas I works for a bit nervous."
"I'm not a joiner if that's where you're going." Talon replied coldly.
"Nah we figured as much, I was sent extend an invitation anyway." the rogue smiled broadly.

"Look!" Talon raised his voice bearly gaining the attention of a nearby merchant, who promptly abandoned his stall. Talon then thrust Claw into it's sheath and hefted Gaelan Baeyle by one hand. "You go tell Bloodscalp and Linvail that I'm not here for them and I'll be out of their precious Shadows by the end of next week."

Being forcefully pulled closer to Not-Quite-Bandon, Bayle was able to quite clearly see the gaping scar accross the formidible man's throat. Word spreads quickly in the shadows, but even the rats know not to talk about the man who wore that scar. Suddenly unable to find a complete sentence of Common to string together, Bayle nodded his understanding.

"Till then, this town and all it's shadows, are mine." There was a finality to his words as he threw the frightened rogue into the well lit street, minus the black Shadow Thief cloak he tied about his own throat and the Shadow Thief dagger, which he sheathed in his boot for safe keeping.

There now, Talon thought to himself as he dissappeared into the shadowed alley from which Bayle had appeared, with Bandon's new reputation and this cloak and dagger I shouldn't have any trouble pulling off a public mugging-turned-murder. I should be out of town by the time they realise it wasn't a Shadow Thief too.

Talon half-smiled as he headed back to the Coronet, he did love it when a good plan came together.

Danian Aegisfield removed the merchant disguise and grinned broadly as he helped Gaelan Bayle up from where he had landed. He dusted the rogue down and looked him dead in the eye.

"The truth now Bayle," he looked deathly serious, "Was it him?"
"Well Inspecta' he 'ad the scar an' all, and though you prob'ly couldna hear it from your stall, he had that same death-rattle voice. 'Less some other poor bastard got the same wounds I'd say 'es your man."
"Good enough for me." Aegisfield was self-congratulatory, "So whatever he's planning it's this week and he's going to try to frame the Shadow Thieves."
"So we're even then Danny-boy?" Gaelin reminded the Inspector he was there.

Danian Aegisfield laughed a deep belly laugh as he walked away toward the Council Hall.

"I'll catch you later Gaelan."

(Originally posted as Fragmented Moments II)
Viconia DeVir shivered uncomfortably at the thought of the things Shar asked of her. She'd been travelling with this waela darthirii dalhar since Shar had asked her to come to Athkatla. She had hoped when she got away from them in Beregost that she'd never have to tolerate their like again, even though her own suspicions about the child's parentage proved true.

The local coven of Sharrans had planned everything to perfection. She didn't know any of their names of course, Shar seemed to delight in deluding both followers and outsiders alike. The runner would inform them of the Bhaalspawn's approach and the grand drama would begin.

"Look ye all upon this foul drow that we have bound before ye!" The leader, finely dressed in the manner of a Beshaban cleric, gesticulated wildly at her as she stood bound to a post in the middle of un unlit pyre.
"A creature of evil and darkness, my brethren!" The crowd, both disguised Sharrans and a few real entranced Beshabans, bought everyword, this jaluk was quite convincing.
"A creature of foulness and deceit, bent only on our destruction!" True enough, Viconia smiled inwardly
"This creature has foolishly come amongst us, my brethren, thinking we would be lax in our senses! Tell me what should be done with it!" The male continued his wild gesturing, Viconia found herself tiring of him hamming it up.
"Burn it!" "Burn her!!" "Burn the Drow!!" the chorus of her fellow Sharrans shouted on cue.
"Aye burn the elf!" Shouted another, dressed somewhat like a ranger. "Her dark and fiendish kin rose up from their underground homes and killed my father and brother! They are all evil, I tell you! All of them!" Viconia was sure he'd seen this one in 'The Turmish Play' over in the bridge district.
"Then the drow shall burn!" Continued the leader, his face now read and bulbous with fury. "Gather 'round, my brethren, and witness the will of Beshaba triumph over foul evil!"
That's my cue, Viconia thought and readied herself for the performance of her life.
"You rivvin are mad! I have nothing to any of you!" she shouted emotively, while the delicious irony was not lost on her in the least. "I seek only to make my way without molestation! Why have you done this?! Why?!"
"Done nothing?!" The leather-clad 'Beshaban' responded, "You are a drow elf are you not?! That is as good a reason as any!"
"Ye shall be silent evil one!" The tin-clad leader commanded her. "The power of the Maid of Misrule will be demonstrated here today!"
"Aye! Burn her now!" "Burn her!!" Sang the chorus.
"No! Nau! Oloth plynn d'jal!!" Darkness take you all indeed, Viconia smiled inwardly again.
"Spout your evil speach if ye must, drow, but prepare yourself for your journey into the next world!" He must have really been getting into this, Viconia hoped he *was* acting. "Beg for forgiveness, beg for salvation! And hope that the cleansing fire will save ye!!"

Viconia noticed her quarry and her minions, muttering to themselves about her situation, this was almost too easy. Time for the final touch.
"Shar! My deliverance is in your hands!" and then I catch her eye my face awash with relief, "...wait ...I recognise you! Randia! It is I! Viconia DeVir! You must remember! My life depends on it!" The ezsakil expression on her face was priceless. "Please, Randia, I beg of you! Save me from these madmen!!"

Having been thoroughly decieved, Randia and company lept into action, cutting Viconia free. She had planned to lead them away from the, barely, pursuing force of 'angry Beshabans', but before she could even cast a Flameblade, Randia and her intrepid band had taken an offensive formation and she had to join in to keep up the illusion.

Though it strained her nerves to do so Viconia had traveled with Randia from then on, at Shar's insistance. Her instructions were to exaggerate the slaughter and corruption Randia could inflict if she accepted her powers. Viconia didn't understood why, because the s'lurppin dalhar, continued to resist the power laid before her, but she would never oppose Shar's will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com