Chapter 6 - About Revenge

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Arelius_*

Posted 16 May 2003 - 08:40 PM

About Revenge

The battle raged throughout the room, archers standing back sending volleys of arrows into the battle weary party. One by one, though, the archers fell, as Arelius, Minsc, and Jaheira went from one archer to the next, engaging them in close contact. Aerie and Nalia sat back and sent bullets and arrows towards the guards. Saerk had already fallen, the first to feel the vengeance of Anomen and his supporting party. His son, Yusef, had teleported away, badly wounded from the wounds he had received from Anomen. They knew they would be seeing him again. As the last one fell, they all breathed a sigh of relief, and rested for a moment. Anomen approached Arelius.

“Well done, Arelius. Our vengeance has been taken, and the evil that killed my sister and ruined my father has been dealt with.” Arelius looked at him coldly. He motioned to Minsc, who circled around behind Anomen. Jaheira approached Arelius from behind and took position off his right shoulder. Nalia and Aerie completed the circle around Anomen.

“So you call that vengeance, eh, Anomen?” Arelius dryly questioned.

“I’m sorry, I do not understand,” Anomen answered. “You were the one who said we should…”

“I said we should exact your revenge on Saerk and his business. Not murder a defenseless schoolgirl in cold blood!” Arelius said, nodding to Minsc, who immediately grabbed Anomen by the arms, holding him immobile.

“Do not move, cleric! Boo’s and Minsc’s blood is boiling with anger and disgust!”

“But you saw him lie about killing my sister. He killed her, and it was only fair…”

“Fair!” Jaheira shouted at him. “Was it fair to her?!” she continued, pointing at the lifeless body of Saerk’s daughter. “Tell me how this girl was a threat to you. Vengeance was to be taken on those who were directly responsible. That child had nothing to do with the planning or execution of any of her father’s plans! You sicken me.” She approached and slapped him across the face, then returned to her position.

“But, I had to let him know, make him see, the pain he caused us.”

Nalia walked up to Anomen. “I’ve seen men and women murdered in the streets by cutthroats and thieves, but even they have the decency to leave children alone,” she said in disgust, spitting in his face.

[Ending number 1]

“But I…” Anomen tried to defend himself, but he felt his arguments would no longer be heard, and held his head low.

Aerie walked up and took his mace and shield from him, dropping them to the ground. “You know, I almost had a thing for you,” she said as she removed his helmet, throwing it aside. She continued to disarm him, removing his breastplate. Laying it on the ground, she walked over to take a position by Nalia. Jaheira stepped forward and punched him in the stomach. Anomen grimaced and coughed from the force of it, the pain lingering on his face. Nalia again approached and with her dagger, cut his shirt open, exposing his chest.

Arelius stepped forward and positioned his sword on Anomen’s solar plexus. “The others have spoken, and I would add my disgust to theirs. I shall never condone cold, blooded, murder, and the fact that one of my party, under my command, caused it, is something I shall always have to live with. You, on the other hand, shall not.” Arelius plunged the sword deep, splitting the rib cage, and piercing the heart to exit out his back, stopping just short of Minsc’s chest. Anomen screamed in pain as the death blow spilled his blood to the ground. Arelius held the sword in until Anomen no longer moved, and his body stood lifeless in Minsc’s hands. Arelius removed the instrument of vengeance, and Minsc threw Anomens body to the ground, just one more battle casualty among the many.

“Was that the right thing to do, Arelius?” Jaheira asked from behind. Arelius stared at Anomen’s lifeless body, and pangs of regret crossed his face.

“I don’t know, but at least the girl shall rest easy tonight.” He walked up and took the girls body in his hands. “We can also ensure she receives a proper burial,” and they all followed him to the cemetery.

[And because that last scene felt a little to close to cold-blooded murder itself, here’s an alternate ending]

“But I…” Anomen tried to defend himself, but he felt his arguments would no longer be heard, and held his head low.

Aerie walked up to him and removed his helmet, throwing it aside. “You know, I almost had a thing for you. I don’t think I’ll miss you now,” adding her spit to Nalia’s. She walked away and took a position beside Nalia.

Arelius walked up and glared at him. “The others have spoken, and I shall add my disgust to theirs. I shall never condone cold, blooded, murder, and the fact that one of my party, under my command, caused it, is something I shall always have to live with.” Arelius positioned his sword under Anomen’s chin. “Listen well, Anomen. I should run you through for your actions. But the girl shall not have her revenge today. I give you your life. I would recommend you take its sorry existence far from Athkatla. If our paths run across once more, she will have it. Do I make myself clear?”

Anomen tried to hold his gaze, but could not. Minsc released him and he wiped the spit from his face. He quietly walked over and picked up his helmet, and headed for the stairs, disappearing as he descended, the echoes of his footsteps fading. After a few moments, Jaheira asked from behind, “Was that the right thing to do, Arelius? The girl deserved her revenge.” Arelius stared at the lifeless body of the girl, and the pain of indecision crossed his face.

“I doubt it, Jaheira, but I shall say extra prayers to the gods for her. Her brother still lives. Perhaps vengeance belongs to him.” He walked up and took the girls body in his hands. “The least we can do, is ensure she gets a proper burial,” and they all followed him to the cemetery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com