Chapter 2 - Captured! (Version 1)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Arelius_*

Posted 16 May 2003 - 08:27 PM

“I did not cause this! This is not my fault! What are we going to do now?!” Jaheira yelled out as she threw her helmet into the corner of the room. “You left him stranded on the front line way too many times, my most brave hero,” she shouted at her husband, Khalid.

“Yes, my dear. But… But you have to admit, your tone was becoming most unflattering to him.”

“What?” she asked in a sarcastic, self-denying manner. “A few simple, innocent, comments about how things are not in balance, and he dumps us on the side of the road,” she pounded her hand on the table. “What kind of leader is that?” Jaheira continued her rant. “Thinks he is all so powerful. Arrogant bastard.”

“You should not have questioned him so. It was his right to help all the people he did. It was what Gorion had taught him. I do not understand why you feel helping people upsets the balance so.”

“Because… because, oh, hush up. I am not going to go into it now with you. You are a Harper, are you not? Certainly it was explained to you.”

“Yes, but I guess I have never fully understood it, or believed it. You are good, my dear. It is why I love you so. We have always helped people for the greater good. I… I would think you would have supported him in his efforts more.”

“Oh, you… you…” she looked away, shoulders relaxing, “you always seem to know how to rebuke me. I do support him, or at least I did, Khalid. I have just seen too many good people corrupted by their desire to do good. It so often goes from helping, to dictating.”

“Maybe you’re right. He did not seem to be that way though. But I suppose it doesn’t matter. What matters is that we failed Gorion. What will we do now, dear?”

Khalid was pacing the floor, thinking. Jahiera was sitting in the chair, tapping her foot, and impatiently trying to determine a course of action. Gorion had pledged them to an oath of servitude. He needed someone to watch out for Arelius should something happen to him. He chose Jaheira and Khalid because of the uniqueness of their relationship. The couple had so many contrasts. It would be good instruction for Arelius. It was his hope that they would become good friends, being similar in age. With his death, they were now bound by that oath. But now, Arelius had gotten mad at them, and wanted nothing more to do with them.

“Oh, Khalid. Do you think it was my fault?”

“Of course not my dear. I’m sure it was my fault. You were so brave fighting along side of him, while I would panic and run. I’m sure that was it.”

“Yes. That must have been it. If only you had half my backbone,” she paused to calm herself a bit more. “And maybe I, some of your humility. Perhaps I was a little hard on him. I should have held my tongue. What can we do?”

“I do not know my love. All we can do now is watch from a distance and gather as many rumors of his advancement as we can. That’s it! We shall shadow him unseen.”

And so they did. The Harpers taught them many things, among them surveillance techniques; following people as if only the wind surrounded them. They watched Arelius and his party through his many adventures and tribulations. Arelius continued to strengthen, and they both began to marvel at how he was progressing. As each battle was won, he became stronger, more powerful, and yet they also saw in him the wisdom of Gorion. The watched him transition from boy, to man, to noble paladin. And when at long last Arelius vanquished Sarovok, they were close by to observe how it affected him. Through it all, they sent reports back to the Harper network. They were always flattering in their reports, becoming quite impressed with Arelius.

“He is quite a man, eh, Khalid.”

“Yes, Jaheira. I did have my doubts about him when we first met him. So headstrong. I did not truly believe he would become such a force for good like Gorion did. He learned his lessons well.”

“Yes. If only he had let us stay with him…” Jaheira said thoughtfully. “Perhaps if we approached and apologized for our behavior before, perhaps, he would allow us to travel with him again.”

“Jaheira, I do believe you are quite infatuated with him.”

“Oh, Khalid. You know you are my only love. Forget I mentioned it. It is better alone, with you. Come. Let’s bed down for the night.” They broke camp a considerable distance from where Arelius and Imoen were camping, knowing they could easily pick up his path again. After defeating Sarovok, Arelius’s party had split up, pledging to be at the ready should any one of them need help. Arelius was now headed back home to Candlekeep to follow up on how the survivors of the changeling invasion were doing.

The night was unusually dark, with heavy, low, hanging clouds in the sky. It appeared a storm was coming, but no rain or lightning could be seen. Jaheira and Khalid both lay down under a small bush.

Khalid embraced her, and their lips met.

“Khalid? Do you think they will not hear us?”

“No, my love. We shall move together as the wind and the trees, making only the slightest of rustlings.”

“Khalid, your words move me like no other. I love you so.”

He undressed her, his hands moving like water on her skin, and she bristled at his touch. This was what she enjoyed most, moving with the earth under her, in close contact with nature, while the only man she ever loved followed rhythmically above her. The act continued on for some time, leaving them both satisfied, and together as one, as only true love making can. They held on to each other, their bodies entwined, and slowly drifted off.

The hand that so rudely grabbed Jaheira, waking her from her slumber, was not the gentle touch of Khalid, though. She barely had time to mumble Khalid’s name before the club came down on her head. She faded quickly to black, her last thoughts only of Khalid.

“Minsc?”

“Yes, my most gracious lady.”

“Do you feel something?”

“Something? By something do you mean of evil intent. If so, let it beware, for where Minsc and Boo tread, evil shall most assuredly be pushed aside.”

“I don’t know, Minsc”. Dynaheir was glancing around doing her best to find from where the feeling was coming from. It was nighttime now and they were trying to make the next inn. “It just feels as though something is out there, watching us.”

“Boo, do you feel this as well.”

“(sqeek)”

“What’s that Boo? You feel it as well? Then walk close to me my lady. I shall protect you. Do you hear that evil! Minsc and Boo are ready for whatever you have to offer!”

She moved in closer to Minsc and held tightly onto his arm. They continued on the path and were just starting to feel more comfortable, when all of a sudden a very strong entity, stronger than either had ever experienced, came quickly from behind and threw Minsc to the bushes, breaking their grasp on one another, and locking Dynaheir up in its grasp.

“Minsc!!!” Dynaheir screamed. But Minsc was beset on by several shadowy forms. Dynaheir was completely helpless in the overpowering embrace of the entity. Her head pulled back by the hand over her mouth, her face flinched as she felt a sudden pain in her neck. She tried to struggle, but the entity was far too strong. Slowly, she felt her blood, the very essence of her life, drain from her. Her feelings of strength waned and she drifted away to darkness. The entity, now finished with the vessel that was Dynaheir, threw her near lifeless body to the ground and moved off into the bushes.

“A most remarkable display, my dear sister.”

“Yes. She was most… delicious,” the vampire said with a sadistic twinge, wiping the few drops of blood she had missed from her face. She licked them eagerly from her hand. “Have the others been captured?”

“The godchilds are in my possession. They are being transported to my lab as we speak.”

“Were they difficult?”

“No. I did not want to risk damaging them. The pain must come in a controlled manner for them to serve our purposes. A simple spell while they slept was all that was necessary. The Harpers were a short distance from them. Amazing that such fools could trail the godchild for so long without being detected. They have been collected and are being readied for travel as well.”

“What do you want with those weaklings? We should tear them apart for their actions, or rather inaction, I should say.”

“I require the information they have collected, and I have something rather special in mind for them. Are you sure these fools can handle their assignments? This group does not seem to be dealing with the ranger very well.”

“They will do. They are indeed fools, but can be quite affective at mindless tasks.”

“Be sure to it they do. I would hate to have to finish this task for you. Or punish you for your failure.”

“Yes brother. I will not fail. Yoshimo is here as well.”

“Ah, yes, the bounty hunter. Have you have secured his loyalty beyond my geas.”

“He still is not ours totally, but I am… working on him. He will not defy us.”

“Good. I shall expect the ranger at the assigned meeting point by morning. You would be wise to see that he is there.”

“He shall. Your experiments must continue.”

“What shall we do with the woman? Would you like me to have her healed…” he paused looking over at the mage, “… or possibly resurrected so you can feed again later?”

“No. She was good, but a little tough. I prefer new blood. Disintegrate her.”

The sorcerer began his incantation, his hands glowing with its life stealing power. As he said the last word, the spell left his hands, moving straight for the comatose body of Dynaheir.

“I shall see you in the morning. Do not be late.”

“Yes, my dear brother. In the morning.” He disappeared before her eyes.

“Yes, my dear brother,” she mimicked as soon as she was sure he was gone. “Did you hear that, Yoshi?”

Yoshimo emerged from the shadows.

“Yes, mistress Bhodi. We will have the ranger at the inn by morning.”

“Good. Be sure you do not fail me. Or I will feed on you before my brother tears you apart.”

“Your threats are not needed. You already hold much over my head. I will not fail you.”

Bhodi smiled devilishly. “You are so predictable, my love. I shall anxiously await your return at the inn. Come see me immediately upon your arrival, and we shall bond once more.” Bhodi transformed herself into a bat, and flew off into the night.

“I think I would rather throw myself on my sword. Ah, if only I could,” his only reply.

Minsc was busily engaging the mysterious figures, trying desperately to free himself from their attention and reach Dynaheir. Several figures he could barely make out were flashing all around him. Knives would come visible for a mere second, disappearing after their mark was made. He continued to engage them with his sword, but could barely land a strike against the near invisible forms. He looked back at Dynaheir to find her now lying on the ground, but could not discern her condition. He continued the fight, however, trying to make his way to her, but the shadows were doing a good job of keeping them separated.

He was slowly making headway to her when he noticed from the corner of his eye the emergence of a glowing orb of magic from the bushes. It moved straight for Dynaheir, engulfing her in a yellowish halo of light. Her body became one with the light, then slowly swallowed it as it became one with her. As it faded, so too did her body, and she disappeared from existence. Minsc immediately stopped fighting, staring in disbelief. He had never seen such a spell before, and was unprepared for what it meant. The shadows around him also stopped as well, possibly in some thieves honor way for his loss, or perhaps because there was no longer anything to separate him from.

“Dynaheir? Dynaheir. Dynaheir! What have they done to you!” he cried running over to where her body had just been and fell to the ground.

“Where have you been taken to? You must be here somewhere! Boo! What has happened to her?” he asked of his friend, but reality moved him, and he knew what happened. “I… I have failed you.” He fell silent. Minsc stared at the spot, and a tear formed in his eye. He could not remember the last time he had cried, and the sorrow quickly turned to anger. Raising himself up, he screamed at the sky.

“Evil! Hear me! You have taken my witch from me! You have snuffed out the life of the most wondrous Dynaheir! Dynaheir, as Boo is my witness, you shall be avenged!!!”

Minsc’s rage triggered his berserker strength, beyond any he had ever experienced, and he quickly turned to face one of the shadows. Moving faster than they were expecting, he grabbed at what was a shadow, but now became a simple thief. Holding him like a child’s rag doll, he reached up and snapped the thief’s neck like a twig. He then beat the other thieves with the now lifeless body. He spun, holding the thief’s legs, keeping the others at bay. One tried to move in, but the body of the dead thief slammed into him. Minsc quickly pounced on him, smashing his foot through the thief’s head like a melon.

More and more, the thieves tried to grab onto Minsc, but learned quickly they had released the proverbial genie from the bottle. One by one, they had their legs broken, arms ripped from their torsos, and necks broken. When the supposed last one lay broken, dead, on the ground before him, Minsc stood victorious over them. Raising his eyes once more to the night sky, he challenged it.

“Dynaheir! You have been avenged! The butts of these evil vermin have been kicked, but I shall not rest until I have found out who sent this filth after us, and who cast the spell that took you from me! This I so swear to all that is good!”

He slowly relaxed and walked over to the spot once more where Dynaheir had died and knelt down.

“Dynaheir. Oh my fair Dynaheir. My friend. Forgive me,” he softly spoke with tears falling from his face. He stayed his position a moment and then made a small mound, a last memorial to her. Boo came out from his hiding spot and lay next to the mound. He said his prayers to all the gods he could think off, then took out a small seed he had been carrying with him from Rasheman. He planted it at the head of the mound. A tree. A glorious tree, of a type known to grow for centuries, would mark the spot where his witch fell.

He did not hear the hunter approach.

The blow came silently, without any announcement of its presence, the blunt end of the katana hitting him square to the back of the head. Minsc fell to the ground unconscious, and Boo quickly hid himself.

“I am sorry my friend, but I have no more time for you to morn your loss. I did not wish to take part in this, and I am glad you saw your revenge. I have no respect for these who once called themselves my brother. I hope you see it through to the end. But not at my expense. It may be too late for me… I have too much blood on my hands, but I will not lose my life to your dajemma.”

Yoshimo picked up Minsc’s body, hoisted it over his horse, and rode off into the night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com