Chapter 1 - Childhood Memories

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Arelius_*

Posted 16 May 2003 - 08:24 PM

“What’s ya doing?” Imoen burst into Arelius’s room, with out so much as a knock.

“Nothing, squirt,” he replied, holding his attention to his reading.

“Radiant Heart? Helm? You think you’re some kind’a paladin or something? Yeah, right. Like a Paladin would sneak into wine cellar’s to put a buzz on.”

The room was littered with books he had been gathering on the subject, from the history of the paladins, to the latest adventures of Helm’s greatest heroes. Most were opened at various points, and he was busy cross-referencing them.

“It’s none of your business. Now get lost.”

“Aw, com’on. Let’s go play, practice some sword fighting or something. I’ll show you some new tricks I learned. Really cool stuff.”

“Show me.”

Imoen reached into her pocket and pulled out a small trinket.

“Here, put this in your pocket.”

Arelius did as she asked.

“Now get off your butt and try to get past me.”

Arelius sized her up, made a small feint one way, then bolted the other, reaching the other side the room in record manner. Imoen stood virtually still the whole time, and he was quite proud of himself for having won her little challenge. Smiling ear to ear, he turned to face her.

“Loose something?” Imoen smirked, holding the trinket in her hand. “Think fast!” and she threw it at him.

“What, how…?” dumbfounded, but not without skill, he snatched it out of the air before it smacked him in the face.

She fell backwards onto his bed, laughing. “My secret.” Picking up the nearest book, she opened it at random. “One should not forget that the secret to blah, blah, blah. What do you want to read this stuff for?”

“I don’t know. I’m just thinking that there is more to all this than fighting. I like being a fighter, but there should be a reason why, shouldn’t there?

“Who cares?”

“Dad does. He’s always going on about higher things and balance and all that.”

“Yeah, drives me crazy.”

“But a lot of people respect him. Don’t you want to be respected? Or are you just gunna stay a dumb girl all your life?”

“Shut up! I ain’t no dumb girl! I just made a fool out’a you, didn’t I?”

“Did not! You just took me off guard, that’s all.”

“What! You still don’t have a clue what happened. I suckered you left, right, frontward and backward, and…” rising up, she raced over to him. Lifting a finger to his face, she smiled, “I could do it… again.” She spun around laughing and danced back over to the bed, flopping down.

“Ok, it was pretty good. But don’t you think helping people is important.”

“Sure. Where would we be if dad hadn’t taken us in?” She fell quite for a moment, eyes looking straight ahead. “Do you ever think of them?”

“Who?”

“Your real parents. Sometimes… sometimes I dream of having a real mother and father. We don’t know anything about any of them, yours or mine.”

“I used too, but now I just figure I’ll never know anything about them.”

“Do you think dad knows more about them than he’s telling us?”

“I don’t know. Sometimes I hear them talking, and I’m sure it’s about me. They always stop when I get close by, though.”

“Yeah. That happens to me too sometimes. I wonder if he’ll ever tell us anything?”

“I doubt it. I don’t think he wants us to know. Sometimes I think it’s better that way too. He’s raised us. He doesn’t deserve the competition.”

“Yeah. Come on. Let’s get out’a here.”

“Maybe you’re right, last one to the gate cleans the pans tonight!” He bolted out the door.

“You’re on!” she yelled after him, and headed for the window.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com