Chapter Three

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dwagon_*

Posted 27 October 2002 - 10:52 AM

Tanara rode across the moonlit plain, the wind at her back, teasing at her long hair. She had been riding for most of the night, and the exertions and events of the previous day were beginning to catch up with her. The cold had seeped into her bones, and with no food to satisfy her gnawing hunger, it only felt worse. She had a raging thirst, but knew that there was no drinking water for many miles to come. Even her horse was beginning to show signs of strain, she observed as she stifled another yawn. I must keep going, she told herself, for the Chieftain must have sent half the clan-warriors after me at the least. She had no doubt that they would continue pursuing her until long after they had left the clanlands, for honour and tradition dictated that any murderer must be caught, and returned home for justice. As she had killed two men, one of the Chieftain's son, they would pursue her to the gates of Hell if necessary. Her only hope lay in crossing the barren Nevacom plains as quickly as possible, and reaching the network of deep valleys and gullies to the south, where she could hide, and hopefully lose the vengeful clansmen.

If only the north wind would blow then I would know that I was safe. The north winds that sometimes blew across the plains came straight off the glaciers to the north, and a dryer, colder, dustier wind she had never known. The north wind would not slow her too much, but would obscure the tracks she left behind her. If I was on the plains of my birth, I would wish for a great thunderstorm, like those the monsoon brings, to wash away my tracks. But that was as likely as a rain of hamsters on the arid plains she now crossed. Memories of her homeland called to her, piercing through the mists of years past, like the sun through cloud at dawn.

The Roaring Boar Clan had lived far to the west of the Masked Bear clanlands, against the shores of Lake Arun. She missed the warm shores of the lake, she missed the warm currents that kept the cold at bay and brought the blessed rains each monsoon. Her clansmen had been fishermen, and plied the lake, in small, woven coracles, searching for fish. Oh...and the fish they caught...not the dried stuff the Masked Bear had, but fresh, rich fish, caught just that morn. She remembered her father, the clan-chief, and a wiser and more benevolent man she had never known. The calm tones of her mother, telling stories of the spirit-times, when the spirit-gods of the clans walked on the land beside them. Old Fox up to his cunning tricks, while the Whispering Owl spread her night wings wide. Her favourite stores had been those of her clan god, the Roaring Boar, Boronus. Her mother told her that the voice of Boronus could still be heard when thunder rumbled, and lightning hit the ground. And also stories of the Masked Bear, the bully of the spirit gods. Much like Dar really, came her ironic thought. But thinking of the Masked Bear reminded her of her father's death, his tragic, early death, at the paws of a rabid bear that had threatened the Roaring Boar Clan. But I have not followed in your path, father, for I slew the rabid bear that sought to end my life and that of your unborn grandson.

If her father had not died, she knew her cousin Devaki, would never have become clan-chief. And I would never have been forced to marry Dar, to carry on the 'Clan honour'...damm Clan honour and those that would make me suffer for it! Her mother had been furious, she recalled, but she had not known why at the time. My fourteen-year-old self could never have known that she knew of Dar's vicious reputation.

Devaki had been happy to marry her off; it gained him clan-bond with the Masked Bear, and got her away from Eviskol. Eviskol, my love, how I miss you. I would have married you, if I had but known of the fate that awaited me. She laughed silently at the image, her, a daughter of a clan-chief, married to a common fisher. But I loved him so, and would have married him instantly. But Devaki could never have tolerated the shame that would have brought to the Clan. And so I was married off, to form the best clan-bond I could, with nary a thought for my feelings or safety.

That option was denied to her forever, now, as the plague that had attacked her clan had spared none from its deadly ravages. Devaki, Eviskol, my mother, my brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, friends and cousins all dead...and my standing in the Bear Clan even lower than before. For with no clan to protect her, Dar was free to do as he wished with her, and his 'wishes' had made his early treatment seem like that reserved for one of the delicate elven princesses of Tlaman's stories.

Tanara tried to shake off the bitter memories, but they clung, like the scent of a skunk on her best furs. Dar's angry face as he beat her, first with fist, then foot and then belt. The memories of the nights in his bed were the worst, yet her stubborn mind called them forth, like the moths to a flame. Her pinned beneath him, as he sought to hurt her in any way he knew how...

Tanara blinked away tears, and instead tried to recall the way he had looked when she first stabbed him. A wave of exultation swept through her as she remembered the look of naked fear and raw agony on his face. So now you know what it feels like, you bastard...so now you know how it feels to be so scared and in pain that you cannot move, so petrified you flinch every time a glance comes your way...so now you know. The thought brought an end to terrible memories that haunted her, for the time being at least. I suppose the old saying really is true...there is no sweeter taste than that of revenge against those that have done you wrong. And with that thought, she continued her ride across the cold, dark plains, with only the moon and stars to guide her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com