A Cappella Part 148 - Mamma Mazzy

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 09:41 AM

The journey towards the surface had been reasonably uneventful, but the party's good fortune had finally run out when they had come across a group of drow returning to the underdark. The drow patrol was large enough that the fight might have gone badly, but Solaufein and several of the former slaves joined in to defend their new comrades, and their added numbers tipped the scales.

The battle now over, everyone checked themselves for wounds. Jaheira and Anomen moved from person to person, casting their healing spells as necessary.

Jaheira approached Mazzy, who was gingerly cleaning a nasty gash on her leg. "Let me tend to that for you," she said, bending down to help.

"No," Mazzy snapped. "I will let Anomen do it."

"But Mazzy...."

"You heard me, woman. Now go help someone else."

Jaheira backed away, and bumped into something. She turned to see Anomen behind her, a concerned expression upon his face.

"She has always come to me for healing before, but this is the first time she has refused your help, Jaheira. Is there some disagreement between the two of you?" he whispered.

"No, at least nothing that I know of. Can you find out?"

"I will try." He knelt down beside the halfling, and said with a cheerful tone, "So I am your favorite now, am I?"

"I simply do not want Jaheira to heal me."

"But why?"

"My reasons are my own, and they will stay that way. Now, are you going to tend to my leg, or should I just quietly bleed to death?"

Anomen gave her an appraising look. What is it you are hiding, my friend? The only difference between my healing and Jaheira's is that druids tend to be more in tune with the person they are healing. Is that why you are avoiding her?

As he cast his spell, Anomen put all of his concentration into it, searching out the reason for her strange attitude, feeling in his soul every beat of Mazzy's heart, every breath.... A sudden realization hit him like a lightning strike, and it was all he could do to muffle an exclamation. As normally as he could, he said, "There we are, Mazzy. I hope you are satisfied now."

She just snorted and stood, ready to move on. Anomen felt his heart beating wildly at the thought of... no, he could not think of these things now. Such matters were for private discussion.

Later that evening when the group stopped to rest for the night, Anomen managed to get her alone. "Mazzy, my friend, we need to talk."

"Can it not wait? I am very tired tonight."

"No, it cannot. I know why you have been avoiding Jaheira."

"How could you know?"

"Priests can discover the same sort of information as druids, they just have to be searching for it. When you behaved so strangely...."

"How dare you? How dare you invade my privacy in that way?" Mazzy's face was thunderous.

"I dared because you are my friend. I thought you might be ill and afraid to tell us." He gently placed his hand on her stomach. "Why did you not tell us you were with child?"

She smacked his hand off of her belly. "It is none of your business!"

"It is my business. I care about you, and I do not want you coming to harm. You should not be in combat, Mazzy, not in your condition. We must protect you and your child."

She glared at him. "And that is exactly why I have said nothing. I do not wish to be treated like a glass figurine, I am a warrior. I can take care of myself, and I will not go back on my word to help Jarran."

"Jarran would understand if you just explained this to him."

"I will explain nothing and neither will you. If you betray me in this I will never forgive you."

"I do not understand, Mazzy. The further your pregnancy progresses the greater the danger to you and your baby. Do you want to risk that?"

She stared at him for a very long time, and Anomen was saddened to see tears come to her eyes. "What does it matter?" she whispered. "Patrick will not be here to see...." Her head bowed.

"Oh, Mazzy," he said with a groan as he put his arms around her. She cried quietly into his chest. "So that is why you have been throwing yourself into battle so recklessly. I wondered why you were taking such risks."

"I thought... I thought I was beginning to accept that he was gone. Adventuring with you and the others... it gave me something other than my grief to focus on. But when I realized... how can I face a daily reminder of his death?"

"Do not think of it in that way. Perhaps this is a gift from your Arvoreen, a part of Patrick that remains with you." He gently placed his hand under her chin to pull her face up to meet his eyes. "Would Patrick want you to endanger yourself and the baby? Would he welcome this child or reject it?"

She swallowed hard. "He would have adored being a father. But... I do not know if I can do this alone."

"You will not be. Do you remember what you told me the day my father died? You said that I was not alone, that I had you and the others. Well, you have me as well."

Mazzy looked intently into his eyes and then smiled through her tears. "If you declare your love for me, Anomen Costmar, I will not believe you for a moment."

He grinned in return. "I do love you, Mazzy, but not in that fashion. You are my greatest friend, my..." He struggled for words.

"I believe 'I love you like a sister' is the typical phrase."

"Considering my devotion to Moira, I would think that would be a compliment."

Mazzy became more serious. "I suppose it would be at that. Oh, Anomen, what will I do now?"

"Are you sure I cannot persuade you to return to your family in Trademeet?"

"No. I will not leave until Jarran has regained his soul. I would never be able to forgive myself if I did not aid him in any way that I could."

"If you will not go to Trademeet, then I suppose I will have to be the one to take care of you."

"Take care of me?" she spluttered. "Why you, you...."

"Ha! I knew that would get your attention. In all seriousness, though, you must stop taking such risks. Fight like a warrior, but not a suicidal one. And I shall attend to any healing needs you have, if you still wish to preserve your secret."

"I do. I do not want the others to treat me differently. Bad enough that you will be watching me like a hawk."

"Very well." He took her hand. "Never be afraid to talk to me if you feel yourself sliding into despair again. I am not Patrick, but I will do what I can to make this easier for you."

"You really are going to take care of me, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am."

#2 Guest_Soltas_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 10:16 AM

Wow! I certainly didn't see the story taking that twist! This'll certainly be a very interesting subplot, which I look forward to reading about. I suppose that Mazzy won't be there at the very end of ToB then, maybe making way for Sarevok. That's a pity, because much as I like Sarry, I like Mazzy even more (even the in-game one, though yours is better).

And to add to the eye debate, which I haven't been able to comment on so far - I always assumed that the silver eyes were Jarren's nature coming out, like the golden eyes were Bhaal's nature coming out. I imagine it stems from his dream sequence when he had his soul ripped out. I don't want to say the silver are his 'good' side because I think they're just Jarren, as opposed to Bhaal.

Anyway, I'm very much enjoying this. It just gets better and better.

Soltas

#3 Guest_argan_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:25 AM

GReat chapter :mrgreen:

#4 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:40 AM

what?

"But Mazzy...."

what's going on?

"But why?"

i'd like to know.

"My reasons are my own, and they will stay that way. Now, are you going to tend to my leg, or should I just quietly bleed to death?"

she's in a bad mood tonight.

As he cast his spell, Anomen put all of his concentration into it, searching out the reason for her strange attitude, feeling in his soul every beat of Mazzy's heart, every breath.... A sudden realization hit him like a lightning strike, and it was all he could do to muffle an exclamation. As normally as he could, he said, "There we are, Mazzy. I hope you are satisfied now."

she's jealous?

Time for a confrontation.

"I dared because you are my friend. I thought you might be ill and afraid to tell us." He gently placed his hand on her stomach. "Why did you not tell us you were with child?"

:mrgreen: Okayyy, you took me by surprise there.

"It is my business. I care about you, and I do not want you coming to harm. You should not be in combat, Mazzy, not in your condition. We must protect you and your child."

and that is what she dreads to hear.

"I thought... I thought I was beginning to accept that he was gone. Adventuring with you and the others... it gave me something other than my grief to focus on. But when I realized... how can I face a daily reminder of his death?"

;) poor woman.

She swallowed hard. "He would have adored being a father. But... I do not know if I can do this alone."

she's not alone.

"You will not be. Do you remember what you told me the day my father died? You said that I was not alone, that I had you and the others. Well, you have me as well."

I had guessed that line before i read it. :twisted:

Mazzy looked intently into his eyes and then smiled through her tears. "If you declare your love for me, Anomen Costmar, I will not believe you for a moment."

she's not easily fooled.

"No. I will not leave until Jarran has regained his soul. I would never be able to forgive myself if I did not aid him in any way that I could."

"If you will not go to Trademeet, then I suppose I will have to be the one to take care of you."

:twisted:

he's being sharp now.

"Ha! I knew that would get your attention. In all seriousness, though, you must stop taking such risks. Fight like a warrior, but not a suicidal one. And I shall attend to any healing needs you have, if you still wish to preserve your secret."

Its not like she can hide it forever.

"I do. I do not want the others to treat me differently. Bad enough that you will be watching me like a hawk."

The irony, she does the exact same herself.

"Yes, I am."

Awww

Good chapter, and surprising

Hunter

#5 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 01:35 PM

Avoiding the issue like this is only going to make him more curious.

Wow, she did a good job of keeping it secret up to now.

;) Think of it as something to remember him by, instead.

so she won't be there in throne of bhaal?

And that will probably make the others suspicious :mrgreen:

"Yes, I am."

Aww. And to think that when they first met they didn't even like each other.

:twisted: Great chapter - took me completely by surprise, but it's a nice twist and I can totally see your Mazzy as a mum.

#6 Arcalian

Posted 21 April 2003 - 02:04 PM

Silranananananana....

AWWWWWW!

Now she really is MamamamamamamamamamamamamaMazzy!!
:mrgreen: ;)
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#7 Guest_Maidros_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:43 PM

Excellent chapter there. A very interesting turn with Mazzy. Even more surprising turn with her trusting Anomen tather than Jaheira.

On a sidenote, you have freed up a slot for ToB. Is it for Sarevok?

Again, a great chapter

#8 Laufey

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:31 PM

Oh my! :mrgreen: A very interesting twist, that was. So, I expect Mazzy will be leaving the party after Suldanesselar then? And I do appreciate the title, very clever.
Rogues do it from behind.

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 10:41 PM

Wow! I certainly didn't see the story taking that twist! This'll certainly be a very interesting subplot, which I look forward to reading about. I suppose that Mazzy won't be there at the very end of ToB then, maybe making way for Sarevok. That's a pity, because much as I like Sarry, I like Mazzy even more (even the in-game one, though yours is better).

Well, I hope you enjoy what I do with Sarevok just as much as what I've done with Mazzy.

And to add to the eye debate, which I haven't been able to comment on so far - I always assumed that the silver eyes were Jarren's nature coming out, like the golden eyes were Bhaal's nature coming out. I imagine it stems from his dream sequence when he had his soul ripped out. I don't want to say the silver are his 'good' side because I think they're just Jarren, as opposed to Bhaal.

Hehehe, that falls into the 'wait and see' category. But it won't be too long before you get an answer on that.

Anyway, I'm very much enjoying this. It just gets better and better.

Soltas

Thanks! And thanks for commenting!

#10 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 10:41 PM

GReat chapter :)

:D Glad to hear you liked it!

#11 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 10:54 PM

what?

"But Mazzy...."

what's going on?

"But why?"

i'd like to know.

It's coming, it's coming....

she's in a bad mood tonight.

She's a wee bit touchy, yes.

she's jealous?

:)

Time for a confrontation.

Yep.

:D Okayyy, you took me by surprise there.

Hee!

and that is what she dreads to hear.

Yes. Mazzy doesn't go in for the 'delicate flower' routine.

:) poor woman.

To raise a child whose father died before it is even born will not be easy.

she's not alone.

She certainly isn't.

I had guessed that line before i read it. :D

Anomen owes her a lot, after all.

she's not easily fooled.

Oh, she's just joking, they both know they don't have that kind of relationship.

:)

:D

he's being sharp now.

Hehehe, he knows how to rile her up.

Its not like she can hide it forever.

Armor and tunics will keep it under wraps for a while, but yes, not forever. Right now, though, she doesn't show much.

The irony, she does the exact same herself.

:D She sure does.

"Yes, I am."

Awww

It was time for a good Aww.

Good chapter, and surprising

Hunter

Thanks! Actually, a couple of times I wondered if I'd gone too far with the foreshadowing - Mazzy not wanting to eat in the morning but being very hungry later in the day, being overly irritable and snappish (even for her) one time and lethargic another, being very seasick when she'd never had problems before, etc. Glad to see I didn't let too much slip!

#12 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 10:59 PM

Avoiding the issue like this is only going to make him more curious.

Yes, indeed.

Wow, she did a good job of keeping it secret up to now.

On my 'timeline', she got pregnant not long before Patrick died. She only realized it herself not too long ago.

:D Think of it as something to remember him by, instead.

She will certainly try to.

so she won't be there in throne of bhaal?

No, she'll be a bit too pear-shaped by then. Of course, I never made a secret of the fact that Sarevok would be in the ToB portion of the story, I just never let on who he would replace.

And that will probably make the others suspicious :)

Heheheh, you'll see.

"Yes, I am."

Aww. And to think that when they first met they didn't even like each other.

More than didn't like, they nearly came to blows!

:) Great chapter - took me completely by surprise, but it's a nice twist and I can totally see your Mazzy as a mum.

Thanks! And don't worry, we'll see more of Mazzy in the post-ToB portion of AC.

#13 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:01 PM

Silranananananana....

AWWWWWW!

Now she really is MamamamamamamamamamamamamaMazzy!!
:) :D

Yep, she sure is! But the end of the SOA story certainly isn't the end of Mazzy's story, and after ToB you'll get to see how things turn out for her and her baby. That's a long way down the road, though.

#14 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:04 PM

Excellent chapter there. A very interesting turn with Mazzy. Even more surprising turn with her trusting Anomen tather than Jaheira.

Well, she was trying to keep it a secret, and Jaheira was more likely to spot it than Anomen.

On a sidenote, you have freed up a slot for ToB. Is it for Sarevok?

Yes. I've mentioned a number of times in the past that Sarevok will be in the ToB part, but I've never said who he would replace.

Again, a great chapter

Thank you!

#15 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:06 PM

Oh my! :) A very interesting twist, that was. So, I expect Mazzy will be leaving the party after Suldanesselar then? And I do appreciate the title, very clever.

Yes, it will be back to Trademeet for Mazzy. And the funny thing about the title is that it came before the nickname. I wrote the rough draft, then decided to put the 'Mamma Mazzy' bits in to set it up. I'm glad you like the twist, a few times I thought I had used too much foreshadowing, but it worked well.

#16 Weyoun

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:08 PM

She just snorted and stood, ready to move on. Anomen felt his heart beating wildly at the thought of... no, he could not think of these things now. Such matters were for private discussion.

Well, she's being cheerful. :D

"Priests can discover the same sort of information as druids, they just have to be searching for it. When you behaved so strangely...."

"How dare you? How dare you invade my privacy in that way?" Mazzy's face was thunderous.

:) :D :)

She glared at him. "And that is exactly why I have said nothing. I do not wish to be treated like a glass figurine, I am a warrior. I can take care of myself, and I will not go back on my word to help Jarran."

Methinks Mazzy won't stay much longer, though.

Ouch... That's what every woman likes to hear. :)

Sounds like a good deal. :D

"Yes, I am."

*grin* And she'll like it! :D

Great stuff,
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#17 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 11:35 PM

Well, she's being cheerful. :D

Hehehehe.

:) :D :)

Hee!

Methinks Mazzy won't stay much longer, though.

She's not going anywhere just yet, but Sarevok will make a good replacement for her.

Ouch... That's what every woman likes to hear. :)

LOL! Don't worry, both of them know what kind of relationship they have.

Sounds like a good deal. :D

It will do while she can still fight.

"Yes, I am."

*grin* And she'll like it! :D

Though she'll grumble the entire time.

Great stuff,
---Weyoun

Thanks!

#18 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 22 April 2003 - 12:48 AM

Ah, very clever! So now all those clues (like the one w/ the fortune teller outside Trademeet) make sense! And the title was an exquisite pun; thanks for the laugh. :)

I'm glad to see (your enhanced-wisdom) Anomen showing he has as much brains as he has biceps, twigging onto Mazzy's objection. Very nicely done!

Good chapter. Thanks for sharing.

#19 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 22 April 2003 - 01:41 AM

Ah, very clever! So now all those clues (like the one w/ the fortune teller outside Trademeet) make sense! And the title was an exquisite pun; thanks for the laugh. :)

Thankee. And yes, that was foreshadowing. Mazzy being pregnant was one of those things that was planned from the beginning, so it was easy to slip in a clue here and there.

I'm glad to see (your enhanced-wisdom) Anomen showing he has as much brains as he has biceps, twigging onto Mazzy's objection. Very nicely done!

I'm sure Anomen appreciates the compliment. Yes, 16 Wisdom should be good for something.

Good chapter. Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you liked it. And thanks for commenting!

#20 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 22 April 2003 - 01:54 AM

To raise a child whose father died before it is even born will not be easy.

Jeala: No, not easy at all. Even with help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com