Quiz Description: Traces of Tolkien: Returning to Our Roots

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RiikiTikiTavi_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 03:47 AM

Traces of Tolkien: Returning to Our Roots

I came to Baldur's Gate in an unusual way. I was looking for a way to kill time. Lots of time. I was heading into an orthopedic surgery that I knew was going to leave me off my feet for several months and I needed something to keep me occupied. More importantly, I needed something that would engage my brain at the same time. Baldur's Gate was recommended to me as a challenging game that would take hundreds of hours to finish. Well, that seemed about right to me. So I took the plunge.

When I first opened the game I had no preconceptions. I had never heard of the Forgotten Realms. I had no idea who (or what) Drizzt was. My previous RPG experiences were with the Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger series -- great games, but the mythology behind them was different and took a while to learn. Imagine my astonishment as I worked on creating my very first NPC and discovered a category near and dear to my heart: "Ranger." And then a race that was equally dear: "Elf." Baldur's Gate, as it turned out, was very familiar to anyone who had ever read J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings." In no time at all Lorien, my half-elven Ranger, was wandering around Candlekeep beginning the complex journey that would eventually bring her to the Underdark, to the Abyss and even to the very brink of godhood.

All of Dungeons and Dragons is based on Tolkien's work. It's about time we gave a little tribute back to the Master. And that brings us to the challenge of this quiz; finding the traces of Tolkien within our stories. We've already had Laufey's "Whispers in the Dark" and Rini's encounter with an all-powerful drinking utensil. Where else can we find Tolkien? Perhaps a youthful Valygar, disenchanted by his stint in the army, found inspiration when he met a cloaked, pipe-smoking ranger in a pub. Maybe Mazzy's family is worried that her adventuring ways will cause her to end up like that Baggins fellow, stranded on a mythical continent with nothing but a bunch of flighty elves for company. And could it be that Salvanas is driven to flirt with everything that breathes because he is desperately competing with his far-more-famous woodland cousin who doesn't have to lift a finger to get feminine attention? This is a chance for unexpected cameos and unusual twists to established characters. I look forward to seeing what the combination of Tolkien and Baldur's Gate will bring!

#2 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:15 AM

Very cool topic.

Beyond specific character cameos, I imagine thematic/geographic Tolkein traces lurk in our fanfics.

Some upcoming chapters of BG/O may be ON, and I feel inclined to finally write down a little crossover piece I've had on the brain for awhile. But we'll see.

#3 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 04:23 AM

"We've already had Laufey's "Whispers in the Dark" and Rini's encounter with an all-powerful drinking utensil."

that peaked my interest...

can some kind soul post a url to the story? or tell me which chapter of "in the cards" or "card's reshuffled" that would be???

in return, i promise to soon post another insane chapter of "hello cthulhu" in which the gandalf clone everybody loves to hate gets a spanking...

its interesting how laufey wrote that story about a all powerful drinking utensil, that would be such a laska story...hahhahahhahha...

all in all, this is such a cool topic....way to go... :roll: :lol: :wink: :lol: :)

#4 Arcalian

Posted 21 April 2003 - 05:12 AM

Hmmmmmn.

Hmmmmmmnnnnn.

I might do an actual peice of Tolkien fic this quiz, concerning Saruman. Assuming that doesn't step on too many toes copyright wise.
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#5 Laufey

Posted 21 April 2003 - 07:23 AM

Oh, a very nice topic! :) It's a pity I'm going out of town tomorrow and will be away the rest of the week, but if I'm very lucky I might have time to do something on topic once I get back.
Rogues do it from behind.

#6 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 09:24 AM

All of Dungeons and Dragons is based on Tolkien's work. It's about time we gave a little tribute back to the Master. And that brings us to the challenge of this quiz; finding the traces of Tolkien within our stories. We've already had Laufey's "Whispers in the Dark" and Rini's encounter with an all-powerful drinking utensil. Where else can we find Tolkien? Perhaps a youthful Valygar, disenchanted by his stint in the army, found inspiration when he met a cloaked, pipe-smoking ranger in a pub. Maybe Mazzy's family is worried that her adventuring ways will cause her to end up like that Baggins fellow, stranded on a mythical continent with nothing but a bunch of flighty elves for company. And could it be that Salvanas is driven to flirt with everything that breathes because he is desperately competing with his far-more-famous woodland cousin who doesn't have to lift a finger to get feminine attention? This is a chance for unexpected cameos and unusual twists to established characters. I look forward to seeing what the combination of Tolkien and Baldur's Gate will bring!

Wow, this is a great idea for a quiz topic! :) I can't promise anything on-topic, but I do have one or two ideas for crossovers, so we'll just have to see. Enjoy your hosting! :wink:

Silver

#7 Guest_Soltas_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 10:35 AM

Oho! This sounds good. I can feel my creative juices bubbling for once. I'll try to think of something for this quiz.

Soltas

#8 Guest_RiikiTikiTavi_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 09:04 PM

"We've already had Laufey's "Whispers in the Dark" and Rini's encounter with an all-powerful drinking utensil."

that peaked my interest...

can some kind soul post a url to the story? or tell me which chapter of "in the cards" or "card's reshuffled" that would be???

Both are in "Cards Reshuffled," but the chapters that they are in haven't been published except as part of previous quizzes. In other words, you'll have to back through past quizzes looking for them, unless someone can remember which quizzes these showed up in. :P

I'm glad the topic has had such a positive response!

RTT

#9 Guest_RiikiTikiTavi_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 09:08 PM

I might do an actual peice of Tolkien fic this quiz, concerning Saruman. Assuming that doesn't step on too many toes copyright wise.

All fanfiction steps on a certain amount of toes, copyright-wise. That being said, the Tolkien estate hasn't come out against fanfiction, per se. Whether or not Tolkien himself would approve of fanfiction is another question, one that I as a writer of LotR fanfiction have long wrestled with. ;;^^

#10 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 21 April 2003 - 10:25 PM

I usually only lurk, but couldn't resist posting in this thread :)

Regarding whether or not Tolkein would approve of Middle Earth fanfiction, I believe he would. After all, he was trying to create a new 'mythological history' for England with ME, and I'm sure he would be more than happy for this to be expanded by others :D

#11 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 22 April 2003 - 01:15 AM

Hi!

This sounds like a highly inventive quiz topic. Kudos! I'm sure the contributors will come up with some jim-dandy gems. (Then again, they always seem to pull rabbits out of their hats, with the calibre of their writing.)

Myself, the only "Tolkiens" I done know about are round and are used -- or used to be used -- for subway rides. :) ::shrugs:: I'm sure this upcoming fortnight will prove most educational.

#12 Guest_Winterfox_*

Posted 22 April 2003 - 10:49 AM

I'm not sure if Tolkien would have appreciated the mutilation of his work, though. I guess he never anticipated raging hormones and the imagination of fangirls and trolls.

On-topic -- well, I'll use this as an excuse to post a LOTR fic. Yes, shameful of me, I know, but hey, it's at least partly on-topic for once. The same can't be said of my past posts...

#13 Guest_Liz_*

Posted 23 April 2003 - 02:53 PM

*happy little squeal* Eeeeeee, I love it! :) Tolkien deserves more credit from DnD geeks, and this challenge seems like a good start. I dunno if I'll be posting anything on topic, but I will certainly try to think of something. Great job, RTT. :)

And could it be that Salvanas is driven to flirt with everything that breathes because he is desperately competing with his far-more-famous woodland cousin who doesn't have to lift a finger to get feminine attention?

Liz: :lol: Well, if Salvanas is in any way related to the lovely flaxen-haired, supple, lean, lithe, limbre, luscious, lickable, lovable, luminscent elven god who is Legolas... Adri, come here.

Adrianne: *sigh* Liz, I am by no means a prude, but my virtue is NOT going to be compromised at the first whim from your sick little adolescent mind.

Liz: The second one at least?

Adrianne: Right. *Grins*

#14 Guest_Winterfox_*

Posted 27 April 2003 - 01:11 PM

*hisses softly* No one ever acknowledges the fact that Legolas should have been dark-haired, not blonde. Never. Rowr.

#15 Guest_Liz_*

Posted 27 April 2003 - 06:57 PM

*hisses softly* No one ever acknowledges the fact that Legolas should have been dark-haired, not blonde. Never. Rowr.

Actually, some of my friends on this LoTR message board I visit a lot have done some speculation about the issue, but personally I prefer the blonde look. (And where does Tolkien specifically *say* that he's dark-haired? Huh? Huh?)

#16 Guest_RiikiTikiTavi_*

Posted 27 April 2003 - 10:55 PM

Oy, the hair debate. Right up there with the wings-on-a-Balrog debate. What have I done? ;;^^

Actually, some of my friends on this LoTR message board I visit a lot have done some speculation about the issue, but personally I prefer the blonde look. (And where does Tolkien specifically *say* that he's dark-haired? Huh? Huh?)

I'm always surprised that the debate is between blond hair and dark hair (and, no, Tolkien never says). It's not as if there are only two possibilities. After all, Legolas's father has *silver* hair.

*ducks*

#17 Guest_Liz_*

Posted 28 April 2003 - 12:03 AM

[quote name="RiikiTikiTavi"]
[quote]
Oy, the hair debate. Right up there with the wings-on-a-Balrog debate. What have I done? ;;^^
[/quote]

*snerk* Not to mention the "who-the-heck-is-Tom-Bombadil" debate and the "is-PJ-screwing-up-the-movies-or-no?" debate. I may have to drop out, though, as I am neither the biggest Tolkien freak around nor the best debator around... *skulks out of the thread*

[quote]
I'm always surprised that the debate is between blond hair and dark hair (and, no, Tolkien never says). It's not as if there are only two possibilities. After all, Legolas's father has *silver* hair.
[/quote]

[quote]
*ducks*[/quote]

Yes, yes, that is a point... I've always thought of him as blonde, but that's just me. *shrugs*

#18 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 28 April 2003 - 12:07 AM

Ah, but does Tolkein specifically say Legolas HAD hair? Maybe he went for the bald look!

He should have "I'm still the prettiest!" tattooed in elvish runes on his [CENSORED].

#19 Guest_Liz_*

Posted 28 April 2003 - 12:38 AM

Ah, but does Tolkein specifically say Legolas HAD hair? Maybe he went for the bald look!

He should have "I'm still the prettiest!" tattooed in elvish runes on his [CENSORED].

must... control... fist... of death... must... not kill... creator of Jade... and Oryx...

...again... *demolishes a nearby wall with Liz's Fist of Death +10* Sorry, ignore the overly-sensitive munchkin behind the curtain. Let the debating continue/commence...

#20 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 28 April 2003 - 04:21 AM

must... control... fist... of death... must... not kill... creator of Jade... and Oryx...

The character is Onyx!

Oryx is a synthesis of Onyx and Cyrex, Haer's psychotic Britney-Spears-impersonating Cyricspawn jester cohort from TWIII! Infer what you will, Freud! :D

...again... *demolishes a nearby wall with Liz's Fist of Death +10* Sorry, ignore the overly-sensitive munchkin behind the curtain. Let the debating continue/commence...

Say, handy spell. Any relation to Bigby? My spellcaster characters are wondering if you have any spare scrolls for sale? (Or is it a weapon?)

C'mon....bald, tattooed Legolas....what's not to like? And Gimli can have a bright-red mohawk and gold chains...Aragorn can get a tongue stud and have Arwen's necklace running from his nose to his ear, and get Anduril gold-plated and engraved with "badass Numenorian muthafucka"....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com