Photo

Amber&emerald: Chapter 41

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nimloth

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:21 PM

And here’s the new chapter for you! A certain hot Drow male makes his appearance. I hope you’ll like it! Please R&R

CHAPTER 41

…Oh you dark one

Eternal outsider

Caught in the spider’s web…(Depeche Mode, “The darkest star”)

The party, along with the merchants, walked back to the Svirfneblin settlement and rejoined with Raevilin, who had enjoyed the hospitality of the Deep Gnomes while they were busy escaping the Illithid’s lair. Goldander agreed to assign a scout to accompany Cyrus, Raevilin and the merchants all the way along the secret tunnel to the Surface, so that there would be no worries about their safety.

The Ilmatari knight smiled at the Painbearer, "Well, it’s time for us to take different paths, it seems", he said, a shadow of sadness briefly crossing his features, "I can never thank you enough for your help, all of you". She smiled back, shaking hands with him, "It has been a pleasure, Brother Cyrus. And who knows, maybe we will meet again, after our own mission is over".

"I would like it, Sister Meg. Very much", he added under his breath, shooting one last appreciative look at Imoen, then reluctantly took a step towards his charges, "May Ilmater watch over you, brothers and sisters. Goodbye", he nodded them farewell and left with his group without looking back.

Meg and her companions then took the path to the cave where they would find the mysterious ally Goldander had told them about, but halfway to their destination, they were attacked by a group of seven Drow. A short and bloody fight later, the dead enemies were stripped of their belongings and the corpses were thrown into a pit so deep that the end could not be seen.

Edwin searched the scrolls they had taken from the bodies and frowned, "Bah, no spells in this one. It’s something in the language of the Drow", he said, handing a letter to his leader, "Can you translate it?". "I hope so: it’s been a while since I learnt to read written Drow", she bit her lower lip, "Let’s see...It’s a letter of recommendation for a mercenary party led by some Veldrin from Ched Nasad, at the request of Matron Mother Ardulace Despana of Ust Natha".

Imoen intervened, "It’s just what we needed! With that, we can get into the city without raising suspicions, we’ll just have to pretend being those guys!", she exclaimed excitedly. Her half-sister shook her head, "We can’t do that, pixie: we are not Drow and even if we used some illusionary spell, it wouldn’t last long enough for us to find Bodhi.

And Irenicus", she added quickly. The pink-haired thief pouted, disappointed, "Oh, pooh. Pity, I bet that pretending to be a big bad Drow female would have been fun". "Who knows, maybe someday you’ll get the chance to do it. Come, let’s meet this lady Adalon and remember what Goldander said: be polite and respectful".

Using the Light Gem, the group passed through the barrier of darkness and descended a long staircase, only to find the most unexpected creature at the end of it: an impressively large Silver Dragon sat on the floor, her grey scales had an iridescent shine and her black eyes full of ancient wisdom regarded them calmly.

"Welcome to my home", the Dragoness spoke, her voice similar to the ring of an enormous bell, "I am Adalon, the Guardian. I have followed your progress with interest, since you entered the Underdark". Margaret Dawn bowed deeply, "My lady Adalon, it is an honour to meet you. I am Marg...".

"I know who you are and of your purpose here", Adalon cut her off, making a dismissing gesture with a front paw, "I have been a Guardian here for centuries, protecting the ancient Elven ruins above us from the Drow, until a great crime happened here, a crime that prevents me from keeping on doing my duty. I need your help to solve this situation and in exchange, I will help you in your own quest. Refuse and I will not allow you to leave the Underdark".

Oh, look, another blackmail to add to the list! Must be a curse of us Bhaalspawn, Meg thought, seething, but her face remained impassive and her tone neutral, "Of course, my lady, we will help you with pleasure". "As I said, my duty is to protect the Elven Temple above us, which holds an entrance to the Underdark. There are others, but this is the first one and it was built as a memory of the time when the Dark Ones chose to separate themselves from their kin".

Ilmater have mercy...And here I thought I was finally free from boring history lessons! Well, at least it’s not Ulraunt speaking, she nodded, "I see, but...". "SILENCE!", the Dragoness shouted suddenly, "This is a matter of great importance and I will tell you when you can speak, Human!". The Ilmatari arched an eyebrow, but stayed silent and Adalon forcibly composed herself. "Good.

Now, I think the two you’re hunting, Bodhi and Irenicus, have made a deal with the Drow to ensure themselves freedom to travel across the Underdark, offering in exchange the chance to strike at their Surface cousins. I can’t intervene, because they have stolen my eggs and threaten to destroy them, should I move against them", she bent her long neck to look the Human priestess in the eye, "Now you can speak".

"I suppose you want us to retrieve the eggs for you. I give you my word that I will do everything in my power to get them back", Meg promised in all honesty: blackmail or not, she would never leave Adalon’s unborn children at the mercy of the Drow. The Silver One stared at her for a long moment, then nodded, "Yes, that’s what I ask of you.

Bring me my eggs back from Ust Natha and I will show you a safe passage to the Surface, one that will bring you closer to Irenicus’ destination. And I will also give you a precious item from my hoard". "Helping us in finding that...Those two and showing us a safe way to the Surface is reward enough for us, my lady. There’s no need to lure us with the promise of riches". "Maybe not. But the time I have spent here has made me less trusting of non-Dragons", she added, glancing at Edwin and Yoshimo.

Anomen cleared his throat, his tone was polite but guarded, "My lady Adalon, forgive me for saying so, but it is no small feat to take on an entire Drow city. I don’t fear the battle, but...", he shot a worried look first at his betrothed and then at Imoen, "Two of us are still suffering from a curse and... ".

The Dragoness cut him off, "I never said you would have to fight the whole city, Human. You will infiltrate it as Drow", her reptilian face twisted in a smug smile, "I will cast a spell on you to make you look as Drow and to make you speak their language. Nobody will suspect anything, unless you blow the cover yourselves".

Imoen grinned, "Yay! I’m a genius!", she turned to her half-sister, "Ya see, sis? That’s just my plan!". The Ilmatari smiled back, "Well done, pixie. As soon as we’re out of here, I’ll reward you with a jar of raspberry cookies". "Really? Oh, you’re the best!". Yoshimo coughed discreetly, "I’m sorry to ruin the moment, but there is a problem about that plan".

Meg tilted her head to the side, "A problem? What is that, sensei?". "The party we killed was composed of seven people, but there are eight of us and this could raise suspicions". She started, "Rats in a basket, you’re right. Okay, then...Aerie, Minsc, you will have to stay here, along with Boo of course". The Avariel pouted, "Why me? Am...Am I that useless?", she whined.

"Not at all! It’s just that I can bring only six of you with me and...Well, no offence meant, but you wouldn’t be very convincing as a Drow female: you’re too nice for that". The Rashemi wasn’t pleased with the decision either, "Little Meg, why do you want Boo and I to stay behind? Did we do something wrong?". Margaret Dawn patted his arm affectionately, "Oh, Minsc, no, of course not!

It’s just that Aerie must stay here and I need you to watch over her, with the help of Boo and lady Adalon", she explained and his face cleared. "Oh, I see. All right then, Boo and I will protect our witch! Right, Boo?". "Good", she turned to the Dragoness, "My lady, can they be your guests until we come back?". Adalon made the Draconic equivalent of a shrug, "Yes, I will make sure they are well taken care of". "Thank you.

Okay, let’s see now...First of all, every one of us will take a Drow name and in public we will use only them as long as we’re under cover". She and the Silver One conferred for a while about that and then they assigned to each party member their new name: Meg would become Veldrin, secondborn of House Zauvirr of Ched Nasad;

Imoen would be Ilivarra, Veldrin’s sister; Jaheira would take the name of Jaelryn, their handmaiden; Anomen would be Alton; Edwin’s new name would be Elkantar and Yoshimo would become Yazston. "Now, there are some rules we must follow, if we want to survive this mission. First and most important: Jaelryn, Alton and myself must never mention our Gods", Margaret Dawn said, "The Spider Queen could find us out, if we did.

Second: Alton, you must never cast any healing spell as long as we’re under cover. Only females can access divine magic in Drow society, so just let Jaelryn and I take care of the healing. Third: Ilivarra, I want you to never make use of your magic, no matter the circumstances". Imoen blinked, "What? But...Why?". "Because among the Drow, only males are allowed to study arcane magic.

And speaking of males, the three of you", Meg indicated the men of the party, "Must always stay close to at least one of us females: we are the only ones who can speak up and protect you from the clutches of other females and their cruel whims". The Thayan frowned, "Come now, surely it can’t be that bad. You’re just trying to scare us (And Drow women are said to be quite good in the bedchamber...)".

"Well, if you want to be flogged until you pass out from pain, it’s your call, I suppose. Drow women are quite fond of barbed whips, or so I’ve heard", she replied nonchalantly and he paled and gulped. "Ah...On a second thought, I think I will just do as you say (But it’s not because I’m scared. No, not at all. The great Edwin Odesseiron fears nothing!)". "Good to hear.

And there’s another couple of rules for you gentlemen: never speak unless I’ve given you explicit permission to, never look a female in the eye and keep a humble and meek attitude. Males are considered less than slaves and any act of insubordination, be it real or simply perceived, is punished with extreme cruelty", she looked each of them closely, "If you feel that the rules are too strict for your tastes, you don’t have to come along".

Edwin, Anomen and Yoshimo shared a look, then they all confirmed their decision to join her in the mission, although without much enthusiasm. "Okay, then. And there is one more thing: to make sure that you are safe from the other females at all times, the three of you will be my personal males. That means that I may have to, uh, act in a very familiar manner towards each of you, to keep the cover".

The Helmite started at that, "What?! But...", he tried to say, but his betrothed put a hand on his lips to silence him. "I know, beloved and I will try to avoid it as much as possible, trust me. But in Ust Natha, I will not be Meg: I will be Veldrin, a powerful Drow female who owns three males. They will expect me to treat you with carelessness and arrogance, not with respect and friendship", she explained, "All of you, women included, will be expected to fear me and act submissive towards me, since I’m the one in charge.

And you will call me “mistress Veldrin” for the whole duration of the mission, is that clear?". Everyone nodded, but nobody seemed happy with the rules, though there were no complaints: they knew that it was the only way to keep both the cover and their lives. "Are we all ready? Then, lady Adalon, you can cast your spell".

"Stop! Who are you? There are no patrols expected for today. Identify yourself!", the guard standing before the doors to Ust Natha, a young Drow male, moved forward to block the path to the party. Meg crossed her arms on her chest and narrowed her currently red eyes at him, "My name is Veldrin, secondborn of the powerful House Zauvirr of Ched Nasad and this", she tossed him the letter of recommendation, "Proves that I am awaited in your pathetic city, along with my underlings".

He read the parchment and nodded, "Yes, I see". "Then move out of the way, useless male, or I will rip out your entrails and use them to tie you to the nearest stalactite for making me waste my time!", she barked, startling both him and all of her companions. The poor man quickly took a step sideways and bowed, "Of course, powerful female! Forgive me, I was just doing my job in...".

"Yes, yes, now tell me where I have to meet my contact and who is she". "I...I am sorry, honoured female, but your contact is a male: his name is Solaufein, fourthborn of House Daevion’lyr. He awaits you in front of the Male Fighter Society. You have to follow the main road, pass by both the inn and the Female Fighter Society and just walk some more steps".

The young woman walked past him without bothering to reply, her head kept high and an air of disdain on her face, entering the city as thought she owned it. As soon as they were out of earshot, Jaelryn approached her and whispered in her ear, "Try not to exaggerate, mistress Veldrin: we are strangers in this city".

"But I’m a female and he was a male, so I was right in treating him like dirt", the Ilmatari replied, "I didn’t like it, but that’s how I have to act in here. And now shut up and get back to your place in formation, Jaelryn". The druidess’ eyebrows shot upwards, but she obeyed without question when she saw out of the corner of her eye that a merchant was watching them with suspicion.

They walked for a long while, until they came to the Male Fighter Society and the strikingly handsome man in front of it straightened, observing them closely as they approached. Standing at one point sixty-four metres, Solaufein Daevion’lyr was unusually tall for a Drow, especially for a male, his smooth skin was as black as obsidian, his slanted ruby eyes were guarded and at the same time held a hint of curiosity, his chiselled features were framed by snow-white long hair tied in small braids and he had a sculpted body, highlighted by his studded leather armour.

His sensuous lips twisted with annoyance, "So you’re the strangers I’ve been assigned to babysit. As if I had nothing better to do with my time. My name is Solaufein and there is no hospitality here for you", he addressed Meg in a careless tone, "You are a female, but this doesn’t mean you can challenge my authority in any way: you are an outsider and until you’ve proven yourself to the Matron Mother, you must do as I say.

Now, let’s begin your taming. Do you have a name, or should I refer to you simply as “female”?". The Painbearer narrowed her eyes, "My name is Veldrin of House Zauvirr and neither I, nor any of my underlings need a lowly male as yourself to babysit us! And if you don’t want a dagger in your back, you’d better show me some respect!", she hissed.

He chuckled at that, surprising them all, "You have spirit, I see. It can be useful, if you know when to use it and when to hold your tongue. But enough wasting time: a Handmaiden is waiting for us at the entrance of the city in ten minutes. I will meet you there. Do not be late, or you will regret it", the Drow warned her, then he opened a “Dimension Door” and just teleported away.

"A mage too, uh? Interesting", she noted and without another word, she turned on her heels and ran back to the entrance of the city, her companions hurrying after her. When they reached their destination, they found Solaufein standing on a platform beside a female who wore a black robe trimmed with dark red and purple. At seeing them, he nodded, "You didn’t waste any time in coming, I see. Good.

This is Handmaiden Imrae, Chosen of Lolth", he told them, then he turned and addressed the female in a deferential tone, "Mistress, these are the mercenaries from Ched Nasad I told you about". Imrae shot a critical look at the group and her purple eyes fixed on Veldrin, "Your story has been confirmed, Veldrin of House Zauvirr and this is the only reason why you’re not currently in the Spider Pits, or entertaining the patrons at the inn.

You are lucky enough that a Matron Mother requires your services, so I suggest you don’t disappoint her...Or your death will be slow and painful. Do you understand, female?". Meg nodded, "I do, Mistress Imrae", she answered humbly. "Male, explain the service you have to perform and be quick! Lolth requires my attention".

"Yes, Mistress", the Drow warrior bowed slightly, "Now, Veldrin, were I to name the Devourers, would you know what I’m talking about?". The Painbearer snorted contemptuously, "Of course: they are also known as Illithid, Psionics and the Surface scum calls them Mind-Flayers". Solaufein blinked and in his eyes passed a flash of something that could have been grudging respect, "Indeed. The daughter of a Matron Mother has been kidnapped by them: she was on a mission and her useless companions either died, or fled.

The Psionics know a good prey when they get their filthy hands on one and they are going to bring her to their city. We must intercept them before they get there and free her. We will wait for them in a cave near their lair and I will prevent them from using their powers for fifteen minutes, thanks to this artefact blessed by Lolth Herself", he explained, showing her a small wooden figurine of a spider, "Is everything clear?".

She smiled cruelly, her left hand slipping to the hilt of her Mace, "It’s more than clear, male. I can’t wait to go and tear the Devourers to pieces. They will learn to fear the wrath of Drow!", she growled and Imrae seemed very pleased by her words. "Very good, Veldrin! Spoken like a true Drow. Go then, don’t waste precious time".

#2 Laufey

Posted 25 November 2018 - 03:56 PM

Imoen intervened, "It’s just what we needed! With that, we can get into the city without raising suspicions, we’ll just have to pretend being those guys!", she exclaimed excitedly. Her half-sister shook her head, "We can’t do that, pixie: we are not Drow and even if we used some illusionary spell, it wouldn’t last long enough for us to find Bodhi.

And Irenicus", she added quickly. The pink-haired thief pouted, disappointed, "Oh, pooh. Pity, I bet that pretending to be a big bad Drow female would have been fun". "Who knows, maybe someday you’ll get the chance to do it. Come, let’s meet this lady Adalon and remember what Goldander said: be polite and respectful".

Oh, you'll get your chance, Immy, you'll get your chance! 

Bring me my eggs back from Ust Natha and I will show you a safe passage to the Surface, one that will bring you closer to Irenicus’ destination. And I will also give you a precious item from my hoard". "Helping us in finding that...Those two and showing us a safe way to the Surface is reward enough for us, my lady. There’s no need to lure us with the promise of riches". "Maybe not. But the time I have spent here has made me less trusting of non-Dragons", she added, glancing at Edwin and Yoshimo.

Then again, loot is always nice! 

Meg tilted her head to the side, "A problem? What is that, sensei?". "The party we killed was composed of seven people, but there are eight of us and this could raise suspicions". She started, "Rats in a basket, you’re right. Okay, then...Aerie, Minsc, you will have to stay here, along with Boo of course". The Avariel pouted, "Why me? Am...Am I that useless?", she whined.

Well...

"Not at all! It’s just that I can bring only six of you with me and...Well, no offence meant, but you wouldn’t be very convincing as a Drow female: you’re too nice for that". The Rashemi wasn’t pleased with the decision either, "Little Meg, why do you want Boo and I to stay behind? Did we do something wrong?". Margaret Dawn patted his arm affectionately, "Oh, Minsc, no, of course not!

Naw Minsc, it's just that you're not that good at infiltration. :)

Second: Alton, you must never cast any healing spell as long as we’re under cover. Only females can access divine magic in Drow society, so just let Jaelryn and I take care of the healing. Third: Ilivarra, I want you to never make use of your magic, no matter the circumstances". Imoen blinked, "What? But...Why?". "Because among the Drow, only males are allowed to study arcane magic.

Such a silly rule, and so inefficient. 

And speaking of males, the three of you", Meg indicated the men of the party, "Must always stay close to at least one of us females: we are the only ones who can speak up and protect you from the clutches of other females and their cruel whims". The Thayan frowned, "Come now, surely it can’t be that bad. You’re just trying to scare us (And Drow women are said to be quite good in the bedchamber...)".

Yes...it's just that you might not enjoy all the other things she'd do to you and I'd hate to have to be the one to patch you up afterwards. 

And there’s another couple of rules for you gentlemen: never speak unless I’ve given you explicit permission to, never look a female in the eye and keep a humble and meek attitude. Males are considered less than slaves and any act of insubordination, be it real or simply perceived, is punished with extreme cruelty", she looked each of them closely, "If you feel that the rules are too strict for your tastes, you don’t have to come along".

Heee, Yoshimo will probably be ok, but Edwin and Anomen trying to be 'humble and meek' should be amusing. :D

Edwin, Anomen and Yoshimo shared a look, then they all confirmed their decision to join her in the mission, although without much enthusiasm. "Okay, then. And there is one more thing: to make sure that you are safe from the other females at all times, the three of you will be my personal males. That means that I may have to, uh, act in a very familiar manner towards each of you, to keep the cover".

Lol! Oh dear. Poor Anomen. 

They walked for a long while, until they came to the Male Fighter Society and the strikingly handsome man in front of it straightened, observing them closely as they approached. Standing at one point sixty-four metres, Solaufein Daevion’lyr was unusually tall for a Drow, especially for a male, his smooth skin was as black as obsidian, his slanted ruby eyes were guarded and at the same time held a hint of curiosity, his chiselled features were framed by snow-white long hair tied in small braids and he had a sculpted body, highlighted by his studded leather armour.

Why hello there. :) Now that made me a little curious about the Solaufein mod, I never played that one. 

She smiled cruelly, her left hand slipping to the hilt of her Mace, "It’s more than clear, male. I can’t wait to go and tear the Devourers to pieces. They will learn to fear the wrath of Drow!", she growled and Imrae seemed very pleased by her words. "Very good, Veldrin! Spoken like a true Drow. Go then, don’t waste precious time".

So far so good with being in character. :)

Rogues do it from behind.

#3 Nimloth

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:14 PM

Oh, you'll get your chance, Immy, you'll get your chance! 

And sooner than she thinks!

Then again, loot is always nice! 

*nods* Most of the times, loot is the main (if not the only) reason to accept a quest

Well...

Everyone knows the answer to that, but nobody feels like saying it out loud.

Edwin: Actually, I would have no trouble in telling that whinepidgeon what I think of her

Me: But then Minsc would beat you to a pulp for insulting his witch

Edwin: ...Forget I said anything

Naw Minsc, it's just that you're not that good at infiltration. :)

"Subtlety" is not Minsc's strong point, no :-)

Such a silly rule, and so inefficient. 

It's one of the things I've never understood of Drow culture: they know how useful magic is, so why limit its learning to males? It makes no sense to me.

Yes...it's just that you might not enjoy all the other things she'd do to you and I'd hate to have to be the one to patch you up afterwards.

And even worse, she may have to be the one to explain to his mother why her precious little baby was hurt so badly...Not a position Meg wants to find herself in

Heee, Yoshimo will probably be ok, but Edwin and Anomen trying to be 'humble and meek' should be amusing. :D

Oh, I'll make them suffer, you can be sure of it!. :-)

Lol! Oh dear. Poor Anomen. 

And the worst is yet to come...I didn't go easy on the poor guy this time

Why hello there. :) Now that made me a little curious about the Solaufein mod, I never played that one. 

I played it a while ago, it's very well written and very in-character: lots of philosophical talks and romantic too. There is little dialogue for TOB, though, at least in the version I have.

So far so good with being in character. :)

Hehe, Meg finally has the chance to let her "inner bitch" free, after more than twenty years of keeping it buried inside herself! She'll never admit it to anyone, but she's having fun at doing this.

Thanks for the review! :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com