Photo

Throne Of Cards 74

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Laufey

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

Throne Of Cards 74 – Oasis And Obfuscation

As tempting as it can be to stomp on the kobold nipping at your heels, sometimes it’s better to save your strength. There may just be a dragon waiting around the next corner.

Excerpt from ‘Ruminations Of A Master Bard’

“Sorry, guys,” Zaerini said with an apologetic shrug. “I really thought I’d developed more precision by now, but it seems when I’m going to a place I haven’t been before the portals still want to go of course a bit.”

“Aw, don’t worry, Rini,” Imoen said, wrapping an arm around her waist to give her a reassuring hug. “I bet this Amkethran place is just across the next dune.”

“That’s what you said three dunes, two mirages and one group of roaming desert bandits ago,” Edwin muttered. “Could we dial down on the sickeningly sweet optimism before it contributes even further to my imminent death by dehydration?”

Imoen gave him an impish grin. “Well, conjure us up a nice magical tent filled with cool drinks and ice-cream, then. Or at least some water, I thought all wizards could manage that. Or conjure yourself into a camel and you can keep going for hours, plus we could take turns riding on your back.” She poked the irate wizard between the shoulder blades, neatly sidestepping him when he swatted at her. “Is that the beginning of a hump I see there?” Despite the blistering heat of the scorching desert the group had found themselves in, she was rather enjoying this. She’d never been to a desert before, after all.

“I’ll give you a hump or two, you annoying little…”

“Focus, please,” Dekaras interrupted, neatly placing himself between the two of them. The assassin had put his normal protective leather gear away for the moment, but even so was managing an impressively cold demeanor for somebody wearing all black in the middle of the desert. “This is not the time or place for wasting precious energy on arguments.”

“In case of emergency I can always whisk us all back to the pocket plane,” Zaerini said. “But the thing is, if I do we may end up back where we started when I try to get us back here. I really want to keep going unless we’ve got no other choice.”

“Sorry Rini,” Imoen readily apologized. She really hadn’t meant to add to her best friend’s worries, it was just that Edwin could be so very much fun to poke. Looking out across the endless dunes again, she marveled at the way the air shimmered under the molten sun, and how the air felt almost on fire as it entered her lungs. It was mostly quiet, other than the sound of their own thudding footsteps against the sand and the occasional rustle in the sand as something small, skittish and possibly poisonous slithered away. It wasn’t nice, exactly, but it was definitely interesting. A thought occurred to her. “This looks like the kind of place that’d have genies. Think we could find one? Or a flying carpet. Oooh, that’d be nice. Eddie, could you make us a flying carpet?” She poked the wizard in the side. “And fly us straight across the desert to a new magical world of frosty drinks and palm trees?”“I’ll show you a whole new world of eternal suffering if you don’t stop touching me!”

“Look!” Viconia called out, shading her sensitive eyes against the sun with a slim, dark-skinned hand. “Are those trees?”

Imoen looked up. Yes, there was definitely something there, other than sand, sun, and more sand. “Palm trees!” She exclaimed, clapping her hands together. “It’s an oasis! Frosty drinks next!”

“Careful,” Sarevok warned her. “Don’t do what you did with that last mirage and dive headfirst into a sand dune, because if you do then you can dig yourself out this time.”

“Poor Boo needs his shade,” a worried Minsc added. “Even the stoutest of hamsters is still clad in silky warm fur.” Imoen looked at the small animal resting in Minsc’s palm. Boo’s small, pink tongue was sticking out the corner of his mouth, and he was panting. For some reason he was also wearing a tiny straw hat with holes for his ears to poke through. For a moment she thought about asking where he’d got it, but then decided against it. With Minsc and Boo, sometimes it was better not to know too much. Minsc himself, as well as Sarevok, had reluctantly removed his metal armour in order not to get boiled inside it, and while his face was a little more pink than normal he seemed otherwise in good shape. Isn’t Rasheman mostly a cold country? But then again, it’s pretty big.

The trees were definitely coming closer, so it wasn’t just a mirage this time, thankfully. Now she could see water as well, glittering between them, and she could almost taste it already. After I’ve had a nice drink, I think I’ll stick my head underwater for a little bit. And then lie about in the shade under the biggest palm-tree I can find, unless it’s already been taken by one of the soldiers in that army and…what?

The oasis, far from being the secluded and restful paradise she’d been hoping for seemed to be very much occupied already, by a group of soldiers who’d apparently also felt the urge for a break from sun and sand. Ok, maybe it wasn’t a full army, but it was definitely at least a couple of dozen armed soldiers. Some carried shields and swords, others bows or crossbows, but all were geared for desert travel in relatively loosely fitting clothes under their breastplates. Rats. Guess we’ll have to share the best tree then.

One of the lookouts had spotted the group by now, for he gave a call to his fellows who quickly came trotting up towards the adventurers. This close up, Imoen didn’t think they looked particularly friendly. They didn’t have their weapons out yet, but from the wary looks on their faces she figured that could change quickly. One of them, a tall man with a rather impressive black mustache and shinier armour than the rest, had a particularly fierce scowl.

“You there,” He said. “I am Jamis Tombelthen, General of the Tethyran army. What is your errand in this region?”

“We’re just fellow travelers on the road, General,” Zaerini said with a warm smile that Imoen suspected was entirely fake. “We’re on a lengthy journey and this seems a convenient rest stop. The water will be enough for all of us, won’t it?”

“The water is not an issue,” Tombelthen said, not taking his eyes off the bard. “Your identity is. You haven’t by any chance traveled through the city of Saradush, have you?”

“We had considered it,” Edwin said. “Regrettably, the persistent rain of flaming rocks as well as the loudly shouting giants outside the walls detracted from the ‘rustic charm’ listed in the guidebook and so we decided to move on the next dusty and no doubt flea infested measly hovel daring to call itself a city in this pit of a country. (Does no other nation but Thay have the wits to master civilized climate control?)”

The closest soldiers looked more than a little put out about the wizard’s remark, but the general raised his hand before they could make a move. “I think there is more to your story than that,” He said with an unpleasant chuckle. “I think you have come from Saradush, and more than that. I think you are some of the Bhaalspawn responsible for the utter destruction and devastation of that city, and the very ones whose bounties I have been sent to collect by the Queen of Tethyr herself.”

“Hey!” Imoen shouted, struck by the unfairness of this. “That’s not right. We didn’t destroy any city. Yaga-Shura did that.”

“Another Bhaalspawn, so I gather. A famous one, as is his killer.” Tombelthen pointed at Zaerini. “Word has spread of your exploits, for I have no doubt you are the one called Zaerini. You will not be allowed to raise an army of your own, Bhaalspawn. If you come quietly, your death may be merciful. If not…”

“I told you already,” Zaerini said, her eyes now glowing brightly, a clear danger signal. “I’m…”

“…needlessly escalating things,” Dekaras interrupted. The assassin gave the irate Tombelthen a calm nod. “General, I assure you, these are not the Bhaalspawn you are looking for. My dear daughter here has yet to learn the value of silence and keeping up the appropriate image.”

For a moment, Imoen almost thought she was about to watch her best friend punch her mentor in the throat. Then, the glow in Zaerini’s eyes subsided, her eyes narrowed with thought and she gave a curt nod. “I’m so sorry, dear Father,” She said. “I forgot myself.”

Out of the corner of her eyes, Imoen could just about notice Edwin’s lips moving quietly, almost inaudibly as he muttered something under his breath. She determinedly looked away so as not to draw unwanted attention to what the wizard was doing.

“Your daughter?” Tombelthen asked. “She doesn’t look much like you.”

“Recessive traits, dear General,” Dekaras said. “Surely you’ve heard of those. I hope you’re not implying anything untoward on the part of my honorable wife.”

“No, I…”

“At any rate, we forgive the misunderstanding, given the red hair. But surely you must be aware that the real Zaerini is a great deal taller, a fire giantess to rival Yaga-Shura himself. How else could she have vanquished him so easily?” The assassin leaned forward, practically whispering into the General’s ear. “I heard she ripped his still beating heart from his chest and ate it in front of his eyes. You are a brave man indeed, brave as a lion of the desert for wishing to fight her, and may the gods grant you a swift and merciful death should you fail. Either way, you shall have your wish soon, for we are ourselves fleeing her wrath and she is even now hot on our heels.”

Tombelthen’s eyes widened suddenly as he stared at something out in the desert. Imoen turned around, unable to suppress a gasp even though she’d already guessed what she might see. There was a fearsome figure standing there, some ways out across the dunes, far taller than a human, with burning hair and flaming eyes, her face and hands smeared with gore. It bore a very vague resemblance to Zaerini, in the same way that a tiger might be said to resemble a cat. It opened its mouth, baring long fangs, and licked its lips as it surveyed the assembled human soldiers.

“How lucky you are, General,” Zaerini said in a sickly sweet voice. “You won’t have to waste any more time searching now. The fearsome Bhaalspawn has found you, and now you can just charge into battle.”

Tombelthen’s face had gone strangely rigid, and rather pale. “Ahem.” He said. “Men. Charge! In the meantime, I will be…be…”

“Reviewing strategy behind the front, sir?” A rather sour-faced soldier standing behind the General suggested.

“Yes! Quite. I’ll be doing that. Off you go now!”

The soldiers shuffled off rather reluctantly, with Tombelthen following them at a safe distance, and there was a brief pause once they had all disappeared across the closest dune.

“How long would you say that Silent Image will last?” Dekaras asked.

“Oh, long enough for us to have a nice drink and refill our waterskins to be certain,” Edwin said with a rather smug smile. “I’ve been practicing since we last used this particular gambit, to make the selected illusion durable and mobile according to prescribed patterns.”

“I’m never getting rid of this ‘heart eater’ rumour now,” Zaerini said with a huff. “But I guess it worked out nicely, and it’s way too hot to be fighting unless we have to. We’d better get a move on though, before they figure the trick out and come back.”

“I’m all in favour of  that plan,” Viconia said, wiping her brow. “Dare I hope this ‘Amkethran’ place is nicely cool, with comfortable dwellings, congenial inhabitants and a shortage of sand?”

“Maybe,” Zaerini said. “Want to bet your favourite comb against my emergency stash of cookies?”

“On second thought, I believe I will pass.”

-*-

“Welcome to Amkethran, everyone,” Zaerini said as she peered across a ledge of jagged red rocks and into the valley below. “It’s…well…”

“Ooooh, Minsc knows! Is it a wretched hive of scum and villainy, little Rini? Boo could do with a good bit of exercise.”

“Maybe. But if it is, it’s a pretty small hive. Still, maybe it’s got hidden depths, you never know.”

“Boo will dig with all the fervor of his great heart and ferret out all butts in need of kicking!”

Imoen moved forward so that she could see what her friends were looking at. By now the group had passed from the open dunes and into a maze of winding canyons, and the path they were following would shortly take them into one of those and into Amkethran itself. Just as Rini had hinted, the town wasn’t exactly large, not compared to Athkatla at any rate. Still, there were a fair amount of building down there, mostly square with flat roofs, situated along the walls of the canyon and in some cases even climbing up them with twisty streets winding back and forth. From this distance she couldn’t tell much more, except there was another oasis where water might be had, and a river leading off in the opposite direction from which they were coming. There was a large building too, much larger than the others, with a shining roof and tall walls.

“That will be Balthazar’s abode,” Viconia nodded as she saw what Imoen was looking at. “Shall we go and introduce ourselves, or attempt subterfuge?”

“The first, I guess,” Rini said with a small frown. “For now. Melissan was letting him know we were coming, so he’ll know who we are anyway. Let’s see what we can make of him but try not to give too much information unless we must.”

As they walked into town they started coming across other people, mostly wearing loose, light clothing that Imoen suspected would feel good in this heat. But I could do with some ice cream too. A great, big bucket of ice cream.

There was something about the people of the town that seemed somehow off to her, and at first she couldn’t put her finger on what it was. There were shopkeepers selling their wares, laborers trying to keep to the shade as much as possible, women fetching water or doing the shopping. It all seemed normal enough, but there was definitely something missing.

Huh. That’s weird. Where are all the kids?

There should have been children playing in the streets, but she saw not a single one. The shopping women, the working men…they seemed normal enough at first, but then she noticed something else. Everybody was completely focused on whatever task they were on, nobody had stopped to chat with a neighbor or just mill around browsing the wares, and they all kept their eyes on the ground. They were all much too quiet, and if they noticed the group of odd strangers, they certainly gave no indication of it.

Something’s wrong. They all look tense. Even scared? Yes, at least some of them. Some look angry.

She slowed her steps a little, drawing close to Dekaras who was also scanning the crowds. “These people…” She murmured. “Something’s badly wrong here.”

“I see it. I suspect these people are being extremely careful not to attract any of the wrong sort of attention. Look there.”

He looked towards an intersection to the right of them, and as Imoen turned her head she saw what he meant. There was a group of men there, standing out from the crowd. They were all wearing loose ochre tunics and trousers, their heads had all been shaved completely bald, and though she could see no obvious weapons they all looked muscular and strong. Their faces were calm, stony even.

“Balthazar’s monks, I guess,” Zaerini said with a small grimace. “Tough crowd. Wonder if we should just walk up and ask them for directions?”

As it happened, that turned out not to be necessary. From up ahead, there came a sound. At first it was a low murmur, but it gradually grew louder and louder, a steady chant that reminded Imoen uncomfortably of war drums or clanking chains in a jail. It consisted of a single word, repeated over and over again.

“Balt…Balt…Balthazar. Balt…Balt…Balthazar. Balthazar! Balthazar!”

As the group turned another corner, the chant became a din, and they found themselves directly facing the origin of the noise. This group of monks was large, perhaps a dozen or so, and they formed a protective circle around a lone man walking in their midst. He, too, was wearing the garments of a monk, but his were a rusty red, and rather than having shaved his head completely bald he had saved a rather silly fringe of hair in a circle around it. But that was a distraction, Imoen decided, because silly hair or not this man was definitely powerful. She could fairly feel it radiating from him, like the warmth of the sun, or a low hum just beneath the threshold of hearing.

“So,” He said in a steady, monotonous voice. He sounded pretty disinterested, but Imoen thought that was a ruse as well. He was watching her sister with keen interest, even if his face hardly moved a muscle. “You would be Zaerini, I assume. And your…entourage.”

“That’s me,” Rini said with a warm smile that Imoen felt sure was entirely fabricated. “And you – no, don’t say anything, let me guess. Why, you must be Balthazar! I’m right, aren’t I? I can tell I am. Maybe I’m psychic, do you think I’m psychic?”

“Very droll,” Balthazar droned on. “I received word that you might make your way here, and that you might be interested in the whereabouts of some certain people. You may move around the town, and if you require an inn, there is a tolerable one at the west end of the bazaar, named ‘The Sluggish Saurus’. I will have the necessary documentation sent to you there, along with your official forms, the folder with the town rules including appendixes, and of course your visas. I strongly advice you not to wander the streets without them, my men are tasked with upholding law and order and will not look favorably on vagabonds.”

“Melissan said that…”

“Our mutual acquaintance may have made requests of me, and I will honour them, but that is the extent of it. You will be given what you require, you will cause no disorder or you will regret it. Good day to you.”

With that he simply turned around and walked off in the general direction of the large building they had previously seen from afar, and the monks once again took up their chanting.

“You were right, Minsc,” Zaerini said, staring hard at the retreating back of the stern-faced Balthazar. “It’s definitely a wretched hive of something. Let’s find out what.”  

Rogues do it from behind.

#2 Theodur

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:23 PM

“Sorry, guys,” Zaerini said with an apologetic shrug. “I really thought I’d developed more precision by now, but it seems when I’m going to a place I haven’t been before the portals still want to go of course a bit.”

blaming your poor sense of direction on the portals, where have I heard that one before?

Imoen gave him an impish grin. “Well, conjure us up a nice magical tent filled with cool drinks and ice-cream, then. Or at least some water, I thought all wizards could manage that. Or conjure yourself into a camel and you can keep going for hours, plus we could take turns riding on your back.” She poked the irate wizard between the shoulder blades, neatly sidestepping him when he swatted at her. “Is that the beginning of a hump I see there?” Despite the blistering heat of the scorching desert the group had found themselves in, she was rather enjoying this. She’d never been to a desert before, after all.

Or you could conjure yourself into a tauntaun and the group could hide IN you during a sandstorm...

“Focus, please,” Dekaras interrupted, neatly placing himself between the two of them. The assassin had put his normal protective leather gear away for the moment, but even so was managing an impressively cold demeanor for somebody wearing all black in the middle of the desert. “This is not the time or place for wasting precious energy on arguments.”

Wearing black in a scorching desert seems like the worst idea ever. There has to be some magic at work for him to still be alive. :)

“Sorry Rini,” Imoen readily apologized. She really hadn’t meant to add to her best friend’s worries, it was just that Edwin could be so very much fun to poke. Looking out across the endless dunes again, she marveled at the way the air shimmered under the molten sun, and how the air felt almost on fire as it entered her lungs. It was mostly quiet, other than the sound of their own thudding footsteps against the sand and the occasional rustle in the sand as something small, skittish and possibly poisonous slithered away. It wasn’t nice, exactly, but it was definitely interesting. A thought occurred to her. “This looks like the kind of place that’d have genies. Think we could find one? Or a flying carpet. Oooh, that’d be nice. Eddie, could you make us a flying carpet?” She poked the wizard in the side. “And fly us straight across the desert to a new magical world of frosty drinks and palm trees?”“I’ll show you a whole new world of eternal suffering if you don’t stop touching me!”

Great, now he's channeling Xzar!

“You there,” He said. “I am Jamis Tombelthen, General of the Tethyran army. What is your errand in this region?”

Wrong. You are the proverbial kobold, nipping at the heels of our heroes.

“…needlessly escalating things,” Dekaras interrupted. The assassin gave the irate Tombelthen a calm nod. “General, I assure you, these are not the Bhaalspawn you are looking for. My dear daughter here has yet to learn the value of silence and keeping up the appropriate image.”

Dekkie's Bluff skill has seen a lot of practice trying to prevent Edwin from digging his own grave. I wonder if he ever thought he'd have to bail Rini out the same way.

“Recessive traits, dear General,” Dekaras said. “Surely you’ve heard of those. I hope you’re not implying anything untoward on the part of my honorable wife.”

“No, I…”

Rini, your mother was a hamster! And your father smelled of elderberries!

“Oh, long enough for us to have a nice drink and refill our waterskins to be certain,” Edwin said with a rather smug smile. “I’ve been practicing since we last used this particular gambit, to make the selected illusion durable and mobile according to prescribed patterns.”

After you're done adventuring, you could make a career in entertainment with this, Eddie.

As they walked into town they started coming across other people, mostly wearing loose, light clothing that Imoen suspected would feel good in this heat. But I could do with some ice cream too. A great, big bucket of ice cream.

Made from what? I don't think this is a sort of cattle keeping territory. Maybe they make it from camel's milk?

As it happened, that turned out not to be necessary. From up ahead, there came a sound. At first it was a low murmur, but it gradually grew louder and louder, a steady chant that reminded Imoen uncomfortably of war drums or clanking chains in a jail. It consisted of a single word, repeated over and over again.

Well, this monk doesn't seem humble at all.

With that he simply turned around and walked off in the general direction of the large building they had previously seen from afar, and the monks once again took up their chanting.

“You were right, Minsc,” Zaerini said, staring hard at the retreating back of the stern-faced Balthazar. “It’s definitely a wretched hive of something. Let’s find out what.”  

This place really has that warm and welcoming feeling, doesn't it just? :)

The future teaches you to be alone
The present to be afraid and cold

#3 Nimloth

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:45 PM

Quote: Or conjure yourself into a camel and you can keep going for hours, plus we could take turns riding on your back.”

The idea of a camel-Edwin had me laughing my head off! Though of course, he would be the most handsome and most stylish camel of all :-)

Quote: “Poor Boo needs his shade,” a worried Minsc added. “Even the stoutest of hamsters is still clad in silky warm fur.” Imoen looked at the small animal resting in Minsc’s palm. Boo’s small, pink tongue was sticking out the corner of his mouth, and he was panting. For some reason he was also wearing a tiny straw hat with holes for his ears to poke through.

Aaawww, how cute! *strokes Boo's head*

Quote: The trees were definitely coming closer, so it wasn’t just a mirage this time, thankfully. Now she could see water as well, glittering between them, and she could almost taste it already. After I’ve had a nice drink, I think I’ll stick my head underwater for a little bit.

I'd advice against it, unless you want to risk Edwin keeping your head under water in retaliation for your teasing

Quote: The oasis, far from being the secluded and restful paradise she’d been hoping for seemed to be very much occupied already, by a group of soldiers who’d apparently also felt the urge for a break from sun and sand. Ok, maybe it wasn’t a full army, but it was definitely at least a couple of dozen armed soldiers. Some carried shields and swords, others bows or crossbows, but all were geared for desert travel in relatively loosely fitting clothes under their breastplates.

Ah, Tombelthen and his men...That's one of the fights I hated having to face, you know: they didn't deserve to die. Thankfully Dekkie and Eddie avoided any bloodshed

Quote: If you come quietly, your death may be merciful. If not…”

Seriously, how can the promise of death be an incentive to do as he says? Had he promised them five jars of cookies, maybe...

Quote: “Your daughter?” Tombelthen asked. “She doesn’t look much like you.”

“No, I…”

“At any rate, we forgive the misunderstanding, given the red hair. But surely you must be aware that the real Zaerini is a great deal taller, a fire giantess to rival Yaga-Shura himself. How else could she have vanquished him so easily?” The assassin leaned forward, practically whispering into the General’s ear. “I heard she ripped his still beating heart from his chest and ate it in front of his eyes. You are a brave man indeed, brave as a lion of the desert for wishing to fight her, and may the gods grant you a swift and merciful death should you fail. Either way, you shall have your wish soon, for we are ourselves fleeing her wrath and she is even now hot on our heels.”

Oh, nice one, Dekkie! I can nearly see Jamis' stunned face xD

Quote: Tombelthen’s face had gone strangely rigid, and rather pale. “Ahem.” He said. “Men. Charge! In the meantime, I will be…be…”

Honourably cowering in the nearest rathole you can find, I suppose

Quote: “Ooooh, Minsc knows! Is it a wretched hive of scum and villainy, little Rini? Boo could do with a good bit of exercise.”

“Maybe. But if it is, it’s a pretty small hive. Still, maybe it’s got hidden depths, you never know.”

“Boo will dig with all the fervor of his great heart and ferret out all butts in need of kicking!”

I do soooo love Minsc (and Boo, of ocurse!)

Quote: It all seemed normal enough, but there was definitely something missing.

There should have been children playing in the streets, but she saw not a single one.

Uh-oh, this looks quite dark...I hope they will find the children safe and sound

Quote: From up ahead, there came a sound. At first it was a low murmur, but it gradually grew louder and louder, a steady chant that reminded Imoen uncomfortably of war drums or clanking chains in a jail. It consisted of a single word, repeated over and over again.

As the group turned another corner, the chant became a din, and they found themselves directly facing the origin of the noise. This group of monks was large, perhaps a dozen or so, and they formed a protective circle around a lone man walking in their midst.

Well, this guy sure knows how to make an entrance!

Quote: You may move around the town, and if you require an inn, there is a tolerable one at the west end of the bazaar, named ‘The Sluggish Saurus’. I will have the necessary documentation sent to you there, along with your official forms, the folder with the town rules including appendixes, and of course your visas. I strongly advice you not to wander the streets without them, my men are tasked with upholding law and order and will not look favorably on vagabonds.”

“Melissan said that…”

“Our mutual acquaintance may have made requests of me, and I will honour them, but that is the extent of it. You will be given what you require, you will cause no disorder or you will regret it. Good day to you.”

see, this is why I don't like Balthazar: he acts like an uppity ass, even when he's about to kill the PC. That's why in my story I will change him a bit: I couldn't stand to write him otherwise

Nice chapter and Eddie's illusionary spell was awesome! *smile*

#4 Laufey

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:12 PM

blaming your poor sense of direction on the portals, where have I heard that one before?

Hmpf, it's not my fault if the portals don't make logical sense!

Or you could conjure yourself into a tauntaun and the group could hide IN you during a sandstorm...

I think we'll save that for Balthazar. :)

Wearing black in a scorching desert seems like the worst idea ever. There has to be some magic at work for him to still be alive. :)

Actually, there is. I thought about explaining it this chapter but decided to save it for later. 

Great, now he's channeling Xzar!

Poor Eddie misses his climate control!

Wrong. You are the proverbial kobold, nipping at the heels of our heroes.

That's pretty much it. :) That oasis encounter is really just an annoyance at that point in the game. 

Dekkie's Bluff skill has seen a lot of practice trying to prevent Edwin from digging his own grave. I wonder if he ever thought he'd have to bail Rini out the same way.

I suspect he prepared for it! 

“No, I…”

Rini, your mother was a hamster! And your father smelled of elderberries!

And you fight like a cow!

After you're done adventuring, you could make a career in entertainment with this, Eddie.

Rini wouldn't mind him putting it to use in her theatre...

Made from what? I don't think this is a sort of cattle keeping territory. Maybe they make it from camel's milk?

I'm not sure there actually is any - Immy is just engaging in wishful thinking. 

Well, this monk doesn't seem humble at all.

He needs a lesson or two from Koveras, that's for sure. 

This place really has that warm and welcoming feeling, doesn't it just? :)

You can just feel the benevolence seeping into you!

#5 Laufey

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:18 PM

Quote: Or conjure yourself into a camel and you can keep going for hours, plus we could take turns riding on your back.”

The idea of a camel-Edwin had me laughing my head off! Though of course, he would be the most handsome and most stylish camel of all :smile:

With a glorious hump!

Quote: “Poor Boo needs his shade,” a worried Minsc added. “Even the stoutest of hamsters is still clad in silky warm fur.” Imoen looked at the small animal resting in Minsc’s palm. Boo’s small, pink tongue was sticking out the corner of his mouth, and he was panting. For some reason he was also wearing a tiny straw hat with holes for his ears to poke through.

Aaawww, how cute! *strokes Boo's head*

Thankies! :)

Quote: The trees were definitely coming closer, so it wasn’t just a mirage this time, thankfully. Now she could see water as well, glittering between them, and she could almost taste it already. After I’ve had a nice drink, I think I’ll stick my head underwater for a little bit.

I'd advice against it, unless you want to risk Edwin keeping your head under water in retaliation for your teasing

Absolutely!

Quote: The oasis, far from being the secluded and restful paradise she’d been hoping for seemed to be very much occupied already, by a group of soldiers who’d apparently also felt the urge for a break from sun and sand. Ok, maybe it wasn’t a full army, but it was definitely at least a couple of dozen armed soldiers. Some carried shields and swords, others bows or crossbows, but all were geared for desert travel in relatively loosely fitting clothes under their breastplates.

Ah, Tombelthen and his men...That's one of the fights I hated having to face, you know: they didn't deserve to die. Thankfully Dekkie and Eddie avoided any bloodshed

Edwin is feeling too hot, and Dekkie doesn't really enjoy pointless battles. :)

Quote: If you come quietly, your death may be merciful. If not…”

Seriously, how can the promise of death be an incentive to do as he says? Had he promised them five jars of cookies, maybe...

It's amazing how often game npc:s make this sort of 'offer'...

Quote: “Your daughter?” Tombelthen asked. “She doesn’t look much like you.”

“No, I…”

Oh, nice one, Dekkie! I can nearly see Jamis' stunned face xD

I think he's wondering what just mentally hit him. 

Quote: Tombelthen’s face had gone strangely rigid, and rather pale. “Ahem.” He said. “Men. Charge! In the meantime, I will be…be…”

Honourably cowering in the nearest rathole you can find, I suppose

Or under some sand!

Quote: “Ooooh, Minsc knows! Is it a wretched hive of scum and villainy, little Rini? Boo could do with a good bit of exercise.”

I do soooo love Minsc (and Boo, of ocurse!)

Truly a dynamic duo. :)

Quote: It all seemed normal enough, but there was definitely something missing.

There should have been children playing in the streets, but she saw not a single one.

Uh-oh, this looks quite dark...I hope they will find the children safe and sound

Hopefully so...

Quote: From up ahead, there came a sound. At first it was a low murmur, but it gradually grew louder and louder, a steady chant that reminded Imoen uncomfortably of war drums or clanking chains in a jail. It consisted of a single word, repeated over and over again.

As the group turned another corner, the chant became a din, and they found themselves directly facing the origin of the noise. This group of monks was large, perhaps a dozen or so, and they formed a protective circle around a lone man walking in their midst.

Well, this guy sure knows how to make an entrance!

If not in the most tasteful way. ;)

Quote: You may move around the town, and if you require an inn, there is a tolerable one at the west end of the bazaar, named ‘The Sluggish Saurus’. I will have the necessary documentation sent to you there, along with your official forms, the folder with the town rules including appendixes, and of course your visas. I strongly advice you not to wander the streets without them, my men are tasked with upholding law and order and will not look favorably on vagabonds.”

“Melissan said that…”

see, this is why I don't like Balthazar: he acts like an uppity ass, even when he's about to kill the PC. That's why in my story I will change him a bit: I couldn't stand to write him otherwise

Nice chapter and Eddie's illusionary spell was awesome! *smile*

There's also the fact that his monks are actually harassing the villagers they claim to 'guard'. No, he's definitely one of my least favourite npc:s in this game. 

#6 wrhunter

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:54 PM

Quote:

“In case of emergency I can always whisk us all back to the pocket plane,” Zaerini said. “But the thing is, if I do we may end up back where we started when I try to get us back here. I really want to keep going unless we’ve got no other choice.”

Edwin: I'm not cute!!!!

Imoen: *Pat**Pat*

Edwin would get used to this very soon, just look at Sarevok.

Quote:

“I told you already,” Zaerini said, her eyes now glowing brightly, a clear danger signal. “I’m…”

For a moment, Imoen almost thought she was about to watch her best friend punch her mentor in the throat. Then, the glow in Zaerini’s eyes subsided, her eyes narrowed with thought and she gave a curt nod. “I’m so sorry, dear Father,” She said. “I forgot myself.”

Out of the corner of her eyes, Imoen could just about notice Edwin’s lips moving quietly, almost inaudibly as he muttered something under his breath. She determinedly looked away so as not to draw unwanted attention to what the wizard was doing.

“No, I…”

He's telling the truth, really. Or do you have a problem with daughter (in law)? XD

#7 Laufey

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:09 PM

Quote:

Edwin: I'm not cute!!!!

Imoen: *Pat**Pat*

Edwin would get used to this very soon, just look at Sarevok.

I think Edwin won't have much choice in the matter. :)

Quote:

“No, I…”

He's telling the truth, really. Or do you have a problem with daughter (in law)? XD

Absolutely! 

#8 Ophidia

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:49 PM

As tempting as it can be to stomp on the kobold nipping at your heels, sometimes it’s better to save your strength. There may just be a dragon waiting around the next corner.

Also, kobolds are so cute...

“Aw, don’t worry, Rini,” Imoen said, wrapping an arm around her waist to give her a reassuring hug. “I bet this Amkethran place is just across the next dune.”

“That’s what you said three dunes, two mirages and one group of roaming desert bandits ago,” Edwin muttered. “Could we dial down on the sickeningly sweet optimism before it contributes even further to my imminent death by dehydration?”

Just remember, they're all sweet little packets of exp.

I'd love to visit a desert...and then stay in a nice air conditioned hotel overnight.

Don't hump Imoen, Rini will get jealous!

“Focus, please,” Dekaras interrupted, neatly placing himself between the two of them. The assassin had put his normal protective leather gear away for the moment, but even so was managing an impressively cold demeanor for somebody wearing all black in the middle of the desert.

Apparently, black can be cooling in a desert if you wear a later of white fabric underneath- the black radiates your heat back out more than it absorbs it. Or something.

“This is not the time or place for wasting precious energy on arguments.”

“Look!” Viconia called out, shading her sensitive eyes against the sun with a slim, dark-skinned hand. “Are those trees?”

I'd imagine Viconia would be horribly senstive to heat exhaustion.

Imoen looked up. Yes, there was definitely something there, other than sand, sun, and more sand. “Palm trees!” She exclaimed, clapping her hands together. “It’s an oasis! Frosty drinks next!”

“Careful,” Sarevok warned her. “Don’t do what you did with that last mirage and dive headfirst into a sand dune, because if you do then you can dig yourself out this time.”

Google 'Fata morgana.' Creepy mirages!

“Poor Boo needs his shade,” a worried Minsc added. “Even the stoutest of hamsters is still clad in silky warm fur.” Imoen looked at the small animal resting in Minsc’s palm. Boo’s small, pink tongue was sticking out the corner of his mouth, and he was panting. For some reason he was also wearing a tiny straw hat with holes for his ears to poke through.

Ahhh so much cute!

For a moment she thought about asking where he’d got it, but then decided against it. With Minsc and Boo, sometimes it was better not to know too much. Minsc himself, as well as Sarevok, had reluctantly removed his metal armour in order not to get boiled inside it, and while his face was a little more pink than normal he seemed otherwise in good shape. Isn’t Rasheman mostly a cold country? But then again, it’s pretty big.

If it's humid like the UK, they will definitely be used to heat. Currently it's only 24 degrees here, but it's also completely still and 77% humidity. Move and you'll drown in your own sweat.

The trees were definitely coming closer, so it wasn’t just a mirage this time, thankfully. Now she could see water as well, glittering between them, and she could almost taste it already. After I’ve had a nice drink, I think I’ll stick my head underwater for a little bit. And then lie about in the shade under the biggest palm-tree I can find, unless it’s already been taken by one of the soldiers in that army and…what?

Boil it first, please. Or enjoy your bilharzia or other delightful tropical ailments. I'm sure they're fun.

The oasis, far from being the secluded and restful paradise she’d been hoping for seemed to be very much occupied already, by a group of soldiers who’d apparently also felt the urge for a break from sun and sand. Ok, maybe it wasn’t a full army, but it was definitely at least a couple of dozen armed soldiers. Some carried shields and swords, others bows or crossbows, but all were geared for desert travel in relatively loosely fitting clothes under their breastplates. Rats. Guess we’ll have to share the best tree then.

Ooh look! More exp!

One of the lookouts had spotted the group by now, for he gave a call to his fellows who quickly came trotting up towards the adventurers. This close up, Imoen didn’t think they looked particularly friendly. They didn’t have their weapons out yet, but from the wary looks on their faces she figured that could change quickly. One of them, a tall man with a rather impressive black mustache and shinier armour than the rest, had a particularly fierce scowl.

“We’re just fellow travelers on the road, General,” Zaerini said with a warm smile that Imoen suspected was entirely fake. “We’re on a lengthy journey and this seems a convenient rest stop. The water will be enough for all of us, won’t it?”

“The water is not an issue,” Tombelthen said, not taking his eyes off the bard. “Your identity is. You haven’t by any chance traveled through the city of Saradush, have you?”

“We had considered it,” Edwin said. “Regrettably, the persistent rain of flaming rocks as well as the loudly shouting giants outside the walls detracted from the ‘rustic charm’ listed in the guidebook and so we decided to move on the next dusty and no doubt flea infested measly hovel daring to call itself a city in this pit of a country. (Does no other nation but Thay have the wits to master civilized climate control?)”

I wonder how climate control works for growing crops?

The closest soldiers looked more than a little put out about the wizard’s remark, but the general raised his hand before they could make a move. “I think there is more to your story than that,” He said with an unpleasant chuckle. “I think you have come from Saradush, and more than that. I think you are some of the Bhaalspawn responsible for the utter destruction and devastation of that city, and the very ones whose bounties I have been sent to collect by the Queen of Tethyr herself.”

“Hey!” Imoen shouted, struck by the unfairness of this. “That’s not right. We didn’t destroy any city. Yaga-Shura did that.”

“Another Bhaalspawn, so I gather. A famous one, as is his killer.” Tombelthen pointed at Zaerini. “Word has spread of your exploits, for I have no doubt you are the one called Zaerini. You will not be allowed to raise an army of your own, Bhaalspawn. If you come quietly, your death may be merciful. If not…”

LIttle bags of exp, run now...

“…needlessly escalating things,” Dekaras interrupted. The assassin gave the irate Tombelthen a calm nod. “General, I assure you, these are not the Bhaalspawn you are looking for.

Obi-wan Dekaras.

My dear daughter here has yet to learn the value of silence and keeping up the appropriate image.”

He seems trustworthy enough.

“No, I…”

“At any rate, we forgive the misunderstanding, given the red hair. But surely you must be aware that the real Zaerini is a great deal taller, a fire giantess to rival Yaga-Shura himself. How else could she have vanquished him so easily?” The assassin leaned forward, practically whispering into the General’s ear. “I heard she ripped his still beating heart from his chest and ate it in front of his eyes. You are a brave man indeed, brave as a lion of the desert for wishing to fight her, and may the gods grant you a swift and merciful death should you fail.

Touche! Also, Dekkie you're enjoying yourself too much.

Either way, you shall have your wish soon, for we are ourselves fleeing her wrath and she is even now hot on our heels.”

Tombelthen’s eyes widened suddenly as he stared at something out in the desert. Imoen turned around, unable to suppress a gasp even though she’d already guessed what she might see. There was a fearsome figure standing there, some ways out across the dunes, far taller than a human, with burning hair and flaming eyes, her face and hands smeared with gore. It bore a very vague resemblance to Zaerini, in the same way that a tiger might be said to resemble a cat. It opened its mouth, baring long fangs, and licked its lips as it surveyed the assembled human soldiers.

“How lucky you are, General,” Zaerini said in a sickly sweet voice. “You won’t have to waste any more time searching now. The fearsome Bhaalspawn has found you, and now you can just charge into battle.”

Tombelthen’s face had gone strangely rigid, and rather pale. “Ahem.” He said. “Men. Charge! In the meantime, I will be…be…”

In the privy?

“Reviewing strategy behind the front, sir?” A rather sour-faced soldier standing behind the General suggested.

The soldiers shuffled off rather reluctantly, with Tombelthen following them at a safe distance, and there was a brief pause once they had all disappeared across the closest dune.

“I’m never getting rid of this ‘heart eater’ rumour now,” Zaerini said with a huff. “But I guess it worked out nicely, and it’s way too hot to be fighting unless we have to. We’d better get a move on though, before they figure the trick out and come back.”

I wonder how tasty a heart would be? It's muscle, but I'd imagine it'd be pretty tough and stringy.

“I’m all in favour of  that plan,” Viconia said, wiping her brow. “Dare I hope this ‘Amkethran’ place is nicely cool, with comfortable dwellings, congenial inhabitants and a shortage of sand?”

“Maybe,” Zaerini said. “Want to bet your favourite comb against my emergency stash of cookies?”

“On second thought, I believe I will pass.”

-*-

“Welcome to Amkethran, everyone,” Zaerini said as she peered across a ledge of jagged red rocks and into the valley below. “It’s…well…”

“Ooooh, Minsc knows! Is it a wretched hive of scum and villainy, little Rini? Boo could do with a good bit of exercise.”

You are enjoying the star wars references, aren't you?

Imoen moved forward so that she could see what her friends were looking at. By now the group had passed from the open dunes and into a maze of winding canyons, and the path they were following would shortly take them into one of those and into Amkethran itself. Just as Rini had hinted, the town wasn’t exactly large, not compared to Athkatla at any rate. Still, there were a fair amount of building down there, mostly square with flat roofs, situated along the walls of the canyon and in some cases even climbing up them with twisty streets winding back and forth. From this distance she couldn’t tell much more, except there was another oasis where water might be had, and a river leading off in the opposite direction from which they were coming. There was a large building too, much larger than the others, with a shining roof and tall walls.

I love the look of desert towns. Unfortunately the current ethos favoured in most of them mean they're not a good place for women to visit on their own.

“That will be Balthazar’s abode,” Viconia nodded as she saw what Imoen was looking at. “Shall we go and introduce ourselves, or attempt subterfuge?”

“The first, I guess,” Rini said with a small frown. “For now. Melissan was letting him know we were coming, so he’ll know who we are anyway. Let’s see what we can make of him but try not to give too much information unless we must.”

Nah, too rich in really hot weather. I like a nice cold diet coke when it's really hot.

There was something about the people of the town that seemed somehow off to her, and at first she couldn’t put her finger on what it was. There were shopkeepers selling their wares, laborers trying to keep to the shade as much as possible, women fetching water or doing the shopping. It all seemed normal enough, but there was definitely something missing.

Actually, this is something they get wrong in all fantasy films: in any pre-modern community, there should be oceans of kids, because childhood mortality means that the population is skewed hugely towards the young.

There should have been children playing in the streets, but she saw not a single one. The shopping women, the working men…they seemed normal enough at first, but then she noticed something else. Everybody was completely focused on whatever task they were on, nobody had stopped to chat with a neighbor or just mill around browsing the wares, and they all kept their eyes on the ground. They were all much too quiet, and if they noticed the group of odd strangers, they certainly gave no indication of it.

Something’s wrong. They all look tense. Even scared? Yes, at least some of them. Some look angry.

Reminds me of visiting Russia right after the collapse of communism.

She slowed her steps a little, drawing close to Dekaras who was also scanning the crowds. “These people…” She murmured. “Something’s badly wrong here.”

“I see it. I suspect these people are being extremely careful not to attract any of the wrong sort of attention. Look there.”

He looked towards an intersection to the right of them, and as Imoen turned her head she saw what he meant. There was a group of men there, standing out from the crowd. They were all wearing loose ochre tunics and trousers, their heads had all been shaved completely bald, and though she could see no obvious weapons they all looked muscular and strong. Their faces were calm, stony even.

“Balthazar’s monks, I guess,” Zaerini said with a small grimace. “Tough crowd. Wonder if we should just walk up and ask them for directions?”

Hehe now I have that tune in my head!

As the group turned another corner, the chant became a din, and they found themselves directly facing the origin of the noise. This group of monks was large, perhaps a dozen or so, and they formed a protective circle around a lone man walking in their midst. He, too, was wearing the garments of a monk, but his were a rusty red, and rather than having shaved his head completely bald he had saved a rather silly fringe of hair in a circle around it. But that was a distraction, Imoen decided, because silly hair or not this man was definitely powerful. She could fairly feel it radiating from him, like the warmth of the sun, or a low hum just beneath the threshold of hearing.

“So,” He said in a steady, monotonous voice. He sounded pretty disinterested, but Imoen thought that was a ruse as well. He was watching her sister with keen interest, even if his face hardly moved a muscle. “You would be Zaerini, I assume. And your…entourage.”

“That’s me,” Rini said with a warm smile that Imoen felt sure was entirely fabricated. “And you – no, don’t say anything, let me guess. Why, you must be Balthazar! I’m right, aren’t I? I can tell I am. Maybe I’m psychic, do you think I’m psychic?”

She is starting to gain Edwin's ability with people.

“Very droll,” Balthazar droned on. “I received word that you might make your way here, and that you might be interested in the whereabouts of some certain people. You may move around the town, and if you require an inn, there is a tolerable one at the west end of the bazaar, named ‘The Sluggish Saurus’. I will have the necessary documentation sent to you there, along with your official forms, the folder with the town rules including appendixes, and of course your visas. I strongly advice you not to wander the streets without them, my men are tasked with upholding law and order and will not look favorably on vagabonds.”

She's in the UK...

“Melissan said that…”

A wretched hive of law and order! Errrgh!

#9 Laufey

Posted 03 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

Also, kobolds are so cute...

Yes, but unfortunately smelly. 

Just remember, they're all sweet little packets of exp.

I'd love to visit a desert...and then stay in a nice air conditioned hotel overnight.

With a large pool. 

Don't hump Imoen, Rini will get jealous!

And that wouldn't do!

“Focus, please,” Dekaras interrupted, neatly placing himself between the two of them. The assassin had put his normal protective leather gear away for the moment, but even so was managing an impressively cold demeanor for somebody wearing all black in the middle of the desert.

Apparently, black can be cooling in a desert if you wear a later of white fabric underneath- the black radiates your heat back out more than it absorbs it. Or something.

I'm not exactly a desert dweller myself, but I think I've seen pictures of bedhoins in black. Dekkie is dealing with the heat in another way though. 

“This is not the time or place for wasting precious energy on arguments.”

I'd imagine Viconia would be horribly senstive to heat exhaustion.

I day say she would be, not her thing at all. 

Google 'Fata morgana.' Creepy mirages!

It's a cool phenomenon, I think. 

“Poor Boo needs his shade,” a worried Minsc added. “Even the stoutest of hamsters is still clad in silky warm fur.” Imoen looked at the small animal resting in Minsc’s palm. Boo’s small, pink tongue was sticking out the corner of his mouth, and he was panting. For some reason he was also wearing a tiny straw hat with holes for his ears to poke through.

Ahhh so much cute!

Glad you like. :) 

For a moment she thought about asking where he’d got it, but then decided against it. With Minsc and Boo, sometimes it was better not to know too much. Minsc himself, as well as Sarevok, had reluctantly removed his metal armour in order not to get boiled inside it, and while his face was a little more pink than normal he seemed otherwise in good shape. Isn’t Rasheman mostly a cold country? But then again, it’s pretty big.

If it's humid like the UK, they will definitely be used to heat. Currently it's only 24 degrees here, but it's also completely still and 77% humidity. Move and you'll drown in your own sweat.

Ew, the heat here is positively tame by comparison then, even if we're up to 30 it's less humid. 

Boil it first, please. Or enjoy your bilharzia or other delightful tropical ailments. I'm sure they're fun.

I'm sure Vic has Cure Disease memorized. 

Ooh look! More exp!

And all clumped up for the aoe...

I wonder how climate control works for growing crops?

No idea, I'm not a farmer. :D

LIttle bags of exp, run now...

This encounter really annoys me because at this time I can just mop the floor with the soldiers so they only waste my time. 

“…needlessly escalating things,” Dekaras interrupted. The assassin gave the irate Tombelthen a calm nod. “General, I assure you, these are not the Bhaalspawn you are looking for.

Obi-wan Dekaras.

Got it!

My dear daughter here has yet to learn the value of silence and keeping up the appropriate image.”

He seems trustworthy enough.

He's got many ranks in Bluff, I'd say. And in Intimidate, of course. 

“No, I…”

“At any rate, we forgive the misunderstanding, given the red hair. But surely you must be aware that the real Zaerini is a great deal taller, a fire giantess to rival Yaga-Shura himself. How else could she have vanquished him so easily?” The assassin leaned forward, practically whispering into the General’s ear. “I heard she ripped his still beating heart from his chest and ate it in front of his eyes. You are a brave man indeed, brave as a lion of the desert for wishing to fight her, and may the gods grant you a swift and merciful death should you fail.

Touche! Also, Dekkie you're enjoying yourself too much.

Well, you know he loves this sort of thing. 

Either way, you shall have your wish soon, for we are ourselves fleeing her wrath and she is even now hot on our heels.”

In the privy?

Or running swiftly in the opposite direction. 

I wonder how tasty a heart would be? It's muscle, but I'd imagine it'd be pretty tough and stringy.

Then again, it could be juicy and tender. Time for more experiments. 

You are enjoying the star wars references, aren't you?

Well I had to use this, Amkethran feels almost exactly like Mos Eisley. 

I love the look of desert towns. Unfortunately the current ethos favoured in most of them mean they're not a good place for women to visit on their own.

I like my head where it is too, attached to my shoulders. 

Nah, too rich in really hot weather. I like a nice cold diet coke when it's really hot.

You just need to mix, water first to cool down, then ice cream. 

Actually, this is something they get wrong in all fantasy films: in any pre-modern community, there should be oceans of kids, because childhood mortality means that the population is skewed hugely towards the young.

In this case, trying to avoid Balthazar's goons. 

Reminds me of visiting Russia right after the collapse of communism.

Good, that's the kind of vibe I was going for. 

Hehe now I have that tune in my head!

Balthazar! Balthazar!

She is starting to gain Edwin's ability with people.

She's somewhat fed up with annoying BHaalspawn, I think. 

She's in the UK...

At least she didn't have to through an hour long passport control. 

“Melissan said that…”

A wretched hive of law and order! Errrgh!

Balthazar is unfortunately Lawful....I just don't buy into him being 'Good'. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com