(4) A Turn In The Road

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 23 October 2002 - 04:15 AM

A Turn In The Road
by Silrana

Keldorn stood in the morning sunshine, enjoying the warmth of a new day as he waited in front of the inn for his companions. He saw Auranis and Valygar come out of one of the doors, and watched with an indulgent smile as they spoke quietly together.

His attention was caught by the way they were looking at each other. Auranis had a more serene expression than normal, and Valygar was looking into her eyes with an intensity that was at odds with his usual nature. He saw Valygar place his hand gently on Auranis' shoulder.

'Now that, my friend, says more in one action than most men could say with the help of a dozen bards singing an aria to accompany them. Something has changed between the two of you, and it doesn't take a man of my years to see it, or to guess what. I wonder if you even realize how much you are revealing.'

As if in agreement with his thoughts, Keldorn heard a deep sigh behind him. He turned to see Anomen regarding the pair with a touch of sadness in his eyes. The older man was glad to see none of the anger that he had frequently seen in Anomen's expression when he looked at Valygar.

Anomen saw that Keldorn was watching him, and slowly shook his head. "My friend, I have well and truly lost."

"Why would you say that, Anomen?"

Anomen gave a slightly bitter laugh. "Look at them, Keldorn. I would have to be blind not to see… they are, well, more than close companions now. Can you honestly tell me you cannot see the change in their manner this morning?"

"I must confess I was thinking of exactly that when you spoke to me. What do you intend to do now?"

"Do? What can I do? They are together, and there is nothing I can do that will change that."

"You are not… jealous?"

"Yes…no… I will always regret that I could not win her heart, Keldorn, but the flames of jealousy that I once felt have gone. She… is happy with him. If she was with a man unworthy of her, or that did not worship her as I would, then I would feel differently. But Valygar's heart is in his eyes this morning."

"I am glad to hear you say such things, lad. Jealousy can be a black rot that eats at your soul, and allowing it to take hold only leads to pain."

Anomen smiled. "You have been advising me for weeks to let go of my feelings for her and move on. I suppose for once I listened to you."

The two knights watched as Auranis ran back into the inn. Valygar watched her go with a look of smoldering possessiveness. After she vanished through the doorway, he noticed the other two men for the first time and nodded in their direction. He then returned to watching the door of the inn as if counting the seconds until Auranis re-appeared.

"My friend, I believe it is time I had a word with Valygar."

"Are you sure that is wise?"

"It must be done, Keldorn. The air must be cleared eventually." Feeling rather like a man going to his execution, he walked over to Valygar.

The other man seemed surprised at his approach. "Good morning, priest."

"And a fine morning to you, Valygar. Might I speak to you a moment?"

"If you wish."

"I only wished to tell you that I… couldn't help but notice that you and Auranis seem especially… close this morning. The two of you have obviously become more, well, endeared to each other, and I wanted to tell you that I no longer wish to contend with you for her heart."

Valygar's eyes narrowed. He growled, "If you are trying to say that she is no longer virtuous enough to be worthy of your interest, you had better reconsider before your head joins your boots in the street."

"Please, please," Anomen stammered out, raising his hands in denial. "You misunderstand me, Valygar, I meant not the slightest disrespect to the lady. If you recall, I told you long ago that I would not stand aside because I wanted to be ready to step in if you did not make her happy. I merely wanted to assure you that I no longer considered myself your rival, because the battle has been won."

"By the 'better man' as the saying goes?" Valygar said dryly.

Anomen grinned, "Naturally I think I am the better man. But I am not the man that Auranis loves, so my worth is immaterial."

In spite of himself, Valygar had to smile just a bit. "At least you're honest."

"As I have always been, perhaps overly honest to the point of bluntness, in fact. And I will say this bluntly- she loves you and you love her. I have only two courses open to me, either despair of the whole situation and leave, or accept what is and hope that one day we can be, if not friends, at least friendly. What course would you advise, Valygar?" he said with a wry smile.

Valygar regarded him thoughtfully. "I suppose you could stay if you wished, Anomen. Auranis regards you as a friend, and would be sad to see you go."

"I am glad to hear it, but what I wish to know is how you feel about the matter. If my presence makes you uncomfortable, then I shall return to the Order."

"If you truly want my opinion, Anomen… I would like you to stay also. I am willing to put aside the past if you are."

Much to Anomen's surprise, Valygar put out his hand, and Anomen grasped it firmly. "I know you will take good care of her, my… my friend, if I may call you that."

"I intend to," Valygar said softly, and both men smiled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com