The Raven's Tale: Chapter Forty-Eight

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:44 PM

The Raven’s Tale:
Chapter Forty-Eight:

I curled up in a chair, tucking my feet underneath me. I pulled my cloak tighter about me; it seemed to have gotten cold again. Maybe Jaheira was right. I sighed. Beside me, Anomen put a hand on my shoulder and smiled. I smiled back and he jerked back his hand, blushing. “F-forgive me, my lady, but . . . if you will allow the liberty, you look quite troubled. Though I will admit, I can understand why.”

I smiled at him. ‘Troubled’ wasn’t quite the word that I would have used, and normally I would have laughed at him and sent him on his way. But he was sort of a comfort, in an odd way.

Behind me, Kelsey scoffed. I sighed.

“You have something to say, -sorcerer-?” Anomen asked harshly.

“I’m just surprised that you were observant enough to figure that one out.” Kelsey didn’t seem ruffled by Anomen’s insult, and I put a hand to my forehead. They were going to go at it again. “It can’t be that much of a surprise, or a challenge to figure out.”

“How dare –“ Anomen drew himself up to his full height.

“I dare because I’m right.” Kelsey’s face wore a smirk, despite the fact that the aspiring knight stood a good head taller then him. “It takes something as obvious as a fainting spell to get you to come to your senses.”

“Hey, sorcerer-boy,” Corris called from her spot by the door. “Stop your posturin’, huh? Little Ellie don’t need that right now.”

Jaheira nodded. “Indeed, for once she speaks sense.”

Corris scoffed and grinned. “’For once’ . . .”

“Is everyone here?” I asked, sighing again, hoping to forestall the inevitable argument.

“I am, my lady. And if you will forgive. . . ” Anomen shyly reached out with a calloused hand and pulled the cloak back up over my shoulder. Kelsey scowled, but said nothing. It was better then those having a shouting match again. What has gotten into those two? I wondered.

“I’m here, Ellie.” Corris said.

“M-me too.”

“Minsc and Boo are here!” Minsc stood up from his chair and grinned at me.

“Where is Yoshimo?” Jaheira asked, glancing worriedly about. I started. In my current distracted state, I had completely forgotten where our resident bounty hunter had gone.

*He is returning, Mistress.* Numel was keeping a watch on the stairwell leading up from the inn’s common room, so we wouldn’t get any unwelcome surprises or eavesdroppers. He was perched on one of the rafters, and probably would not be noticed unless someone knew exactly what to look for. *He is ensuring just that, mistress – that Bernard feels no need to investigate our particular little group.*

*Ah.* I nodded and sighed. “Ok, Corris, what did you want to tell me?”

Corris sighed, swinging her feet. Her ruddy face was pale in the firelight, the flames played off her long face and high cheekbones; she looked almost like an elf. “I . . . this ain’t easy, Ellie.”

Somehow, I hadn’t thought it would be. “Take your time.”

“I do know Isaea. That much should be clear. It’s just more. . . . how we met; and what he did.” Her shoulders were slumped.

Aerie put a hand on the top of Corris’ head. “I-it’s alright, Corris, I think – I hope Elshana will understand.”

Corris turned her head as Yoshimo came back into the room, but said nothing. He took up a position leaning against the wall; apparently quite relaxed, though one hand was resting close to the hilt of his katana. The rest of the group didn’t seem to notice.

“Yeah,” Corris said, distractedly. “Yeah, I hope so too.”

“Child please, continue.” Jaheira said softly to Corris. I got the hunch she knew more then she was letting on in this particular situation, and made a note to ask her when I got the chance. Then again, that would be after she boxed my ears for being up and about when I shouldn’t have been . . . On second thought, I resolved to ask her long after this mess with Isaea had run its course.

“Right, Jai.” She toyed absently with the end of her brown braid, twisting the end of it around in her fingers. “Well. . .” It was the first time I had seen a true smile appear on her face since this mess began, it seemed. “Well, ya can take a guess as ta how we met. . . “

“The slave trade?” Anomen asked.

“Yeah.” She looked down at her feet.

Jaheira left my side and knelt down beside Corris. “Are you alright?”

“Fine, Jai.” Her voice was hollow.

Aerie came and put her small hand on Corris’ shoulder. The halfling’s small form was shaking.

“With all respect,” Yoshimo spoke from the door, “this is something we may need to know. Take your time, but such still must be said.” Something in his eyes caught my gaze, but I couldn’t place the strangeness of it. He was always hard to read and understand.

Corris nodded, brown hair falling in front of her eyes. “Gimme a moment, huh?”

It took her more then that to place her words.

“I'm actually a Athkatlan native,” she said, fidgeting with her hair. “I dunno where I really come from. I've spent all my life on the street. First, I was with the Thieves guild; but after I crossed them. . .”

Yoshimo shifted a little; his face still expressionless.

“After I crossed them,” Corris continued, “I ended up in the slave trade.” The guild leader, at the time, was less then pleased with me. I bounced around between 'owners,'” she spat the word out, “until I ended up in the hands of a nobleman.” She slid off the stool and began to pace. “I first hoped that bein' in the hands of a noble would be a better spot then where I'd been. Some of the nobles here treat their servants well.”

“It wasn't.” Anomen's voice held an odd trace of emotion, and I made a mental note to ask him about that later.

“No, priest, it wasn't.” Corris glanced at him. “You've met Isaea; ya all get the idea.” She sat back on the stool, and I was pretty sure she wouldn't answer any more questions. Her arms crossed, she paused for a moment. “It's not like he's gonna win an award for bein' a compasisonate person.” She nodded her head to Aerie. “Aerie an' I met when Isaea gave up on the 'loud-mouth halflin'.” There was a bitter smile on her face. “When we both got out of the circus, things turned 'round.”

Aerie smiled. “Yes, U-uncle Quayle took us both in.”

“Yeah.” Now the smile was genuine. “I miss that gnome, sometimes.”

“M-me too.”

“What does this mean for us?” Jaheira was, as usual, cutting to the heart of a situation.

“It means that I know Isaea.” Corris voice was equally matter-of-fact. “Though I think, if you want this undone, you're better to go to the mage.”

“What about Lady Nalia?” Anomen sounded concerned and I couldn't blame him. She had been in our group for a time, and I had grown to like her.

“I believe,” Yoshimo spoke from his place by the door, “that the young Lady Nalia will be joining us sometime tomorrow.”

Six pairs of eyes turned to stare at him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com