50. Resolution

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

Stai stepped forward. A light gesture, and Ala felt the invisible bonds releasing her.
"If we are going to fight, we can as well wait another fifteen minutes, can we?" Stai continued. "If you, good men and women, want to defeat Sarevok Anchev, do so. But first, I want to fulfill a promise I gave my best friend, Alianna. She was Ala's mother."
"My mother?" Ala sat on the floor. Sarevok mutely stared at her.
"Sarevok, you want to kill a rival," Stai said. "But I am going to relieve Ala and her sister, Imoen, from their divine essence. Then Ala will stop being a Bhaalspawn. Will this suffice?"
Sarevok stepped forward.
"What are you talking about, woman?"
"I am talking about..." Stai stopped dead. "Wait. Xan, don't you feel it? Don't you see it? Netherese artifacts!"
"Here?" Xan raised an eyebrow. "How?"
"We searched this temple through and through," Sarevok said derisively. "There are none."
"I have a Deck of Many Things," Ala winced: the wretched thing kept sinking into her ribs. "Is it Netherese?"
A tall blonde woman Ala did not know stepped forward.
"We found a Netherese tome of summoning," the woman said. "Here."
"Branwen, shut yer yep!" Montaron hissed, and the hiss became an echo.
Ala slowly stood up. Now she saw them all: figures near the walls, grey and small. Their voices echoed a little across the temple, as if they were high in the mountains.
"But these artifacts..." Stai muttered, "these are enough to turn the world upside-down."
"Stop," Sarevok ordered. "Bring the prisoners to me. Come and put the things to the altar. And if every single one of you raises arms against me in this temple..."
"I understand," Stai raised her hands and turned to the silent Harpers. "These are dangerous artifacts, and these are two innocent girls. I am going to help Imoen and Ala. Will you allow me to do this?"
"I'd like to look," Xzar giggled. "Monty, do you?"
"We will watch," Dermin said slowly. "If there is a way to free the world of the Bhaalspawn taint, the Harpers want to see it."
"Not all of them," Stai shook her head. "But I can help Ala, at least."
"What do you mean, 'help Ala'?" demanded Edwin. "She is a child of Bhaal! Are you going to take her immortal and immoral soul out, or what?"
"Will I... be normal again?" Imoen whispered. Winski, who was holding her ropes, involuntary shuddered.
"Come here, please," Stai said. "All of you."
There was movement. Ala stood up, shakily, and immediately found herself in a circle of faces: Jaheira, Khalid, Imoen, Edwin, Minsc, Jaheira, Xan, Xzar, Montaron, Stai, the blonde, Dermin and his four Harpers, Sarevok's servants: Winski, Semaj, Angelo and a very pale Tamoko...
"Where are the other prisoners?" Ala asked. "Skie Silvershield, Kivan, Eldoth?"
"In a chamber underneath the temple," Tamoko answered without parting her lips. "They will live."
"Everyone will live," Xan sighed. "The question is: how long?"
"In every generation, a dark force and a light force is born," Stai said. "The Bhaalspawn are on the dark side. To counter this, we must bring forth a guardian of light. I will summon a servant of gods. A solar."
"To fight on your side?" Xzar giggled. "No go. Solars never interfere."
"No," Stai shook her head. "To ask her a favor."
"A solar," Sarevok smirked. "I should like to look into his face."
"Her face or his face," Stai shrugged. "Do I begin?"
A whisper ran across the room. Stai took a deep breath, opened the tome of summoning in her hands and started chanting.
"Impressive, isn't it?" a familiar sneering voice said. "(Of course, if you can call this pathetic display of carnival monkey tricks 'impressive'). A pity I did not acquire this tome sooner."
Ala turned around. Edwin was standing next to her with a hand on her shoulder.
"Why did you come back?" she whispered.
"I still owe you a year of service," Edwin answered coolly. "Besides, a Red Wizard never runs when he sees an opportunity."
"Am I an opportunity? Even without my heritage?"
"You?" Edwin raised an eyebrow. "You are an idiot."
Ala opened her mouth, but at the same moment Stai finished her chanting.
Nothing happened.
"Well?" Sarevok demanded. "Is this all you are capable of?"
"I am here, the child of Seldarine," a loud, clear voice called. "What is it you want from me?"
A woman stood at the entrance. No, Ala corrected herself, not a real woman. A solar was taller, so tall that her head touched the entrance arch, and her skin was light blue.
"Greetings, Solar," Stai bowed. A tome in her hands was slowly turning to dust, and Ala realized they would never be able to summon a celestial being again. "We require your judgement."
"Speak, then."
"You already know the matter at hand," Stai stepped forward. "This man, Sarevok, is a Bhaalspawn. He is planning a war--a war that will become the prelude to the inevitable Bhaalspawn wars. My friend's daughter, Ala, and her sister, Imoen, do not wish to be a part of this. Yet my mentor, Joneleth Irenicus, who was stripped of his very own link with the Weave most unfairly, would take their place gladly. We wish to make the exchange."
"I see," the Solar's voice rang. "And what of you, Imoen? Will you agree to this exchange?"
"I... yes," Imoen gulped. "Yes."
"And of you, Ala? Would you willingly revoke your heritage?"
"Yes," answered Ala without hesitation.
"Is there a single person who would oppose this? You, Sarevok?"
Sarevok chuckled amusedly. "I would get a strong contender instead of two week girls. I am all for it. We children of Bhaal matter. Other voices are irrelevant."
"Your word is counted," said the Solar seriously. "Now, for the word of Joneleth Irenicus."
"He is not here," Xan whispered.
"Then our talk is done," the light around the Solar started to diminish. "I will go."
"Wait!" Stai almost screamed. "Here, the Deck of Many Things..." she was going through the cards as in high fever, "here..."
She drew a card triumphantly. "Vizier! I drew it! Connect Joneleth Irenicus through the card and see if he is willing!"
Solar shifted, and it seemed to Ala that the Solar's eyes widened. Yes, Ala thought. We mortals are capable of many things.
"The gods will decide," the Solar said at last. "Wait."
The blue light blinked and was gone. The Solar disappeared.
"The card is gone," Stai whispered. "The Deck is gone, too. What is happening?"
Winski approached Sarevok and whispered something.
"What? The Grand Dukes? Sending troops in here? Hunting me? And all because of some papers and letters, and my old diary?" Sarevok laughed. "Winski, you are paranoid. Even if there is truth in your words, this is my temple, and these are my sisters. I will not leave until their fate is sealed."
"And what of our fates?" Jaheira said. "Do we remain and fight Gorion's murderer, or do we let him escape?"
"D-darling, wait," Khalid put an arm around her. "Don't you see that something is happening, something we cannot even comprehend..."
The Solar reappeared. This time she was not alone. Next to her stood a familiar figure, dressed in black and red.
"Cyric!" Ala breathed.
"I would rather you called me 'My Prince'," Cyric's vision called mockingly. "But an adoring tone will do."
"The gods said 'no'," the Solar declared in the same clear, emotionless tone. "But you can affect their judgement."
Stai stared. "How?"
"Joneleth's punishment is just," the Solar continued. "But I can bring you to him, through the card. You shall be able to aid him--or destroy him. The gods will give him a beginning of the spirit: he will begin to feel and remember. You can straighten him--or break him forever."
"And this is forgiveness?" Stai asked bitterly. "After years of punishment--more punishment?"
"This is mercy. You decide."
Stai buried her face in her hands.
"Now, for you, Bhaalspawn," the Solar turned to Ala. "You may continue on your path. Fight your brother, Sarevok, fight your siblings, win the war--and then the power of Bhaal will be yours to command."
"If you want it," Cyric added with a sly smile.
"Or give up the essence in favor of your brother, Sarevok. Surrender your divinity and walk out unharmed."
Ala felt her throat going dry.
"Me--give it to Sarevok?!" she croaked.
Sarevok looked surprised, himself.
"What will happen if I agree?" Ala asked in a small voice. "Will Stai's mentor learn forgiveness? What will happen to Sarevok? How will the Bhaalspawn wars start?"
"Your story ends here. This is what you sacrifice: knowledge, answers, importance. You become a mere mortal, if skilled and courageous."
"And Imoen? What of her?"
"Your sister was never important in the large picture of things. The gods will release her--if you make the right choice."
"But which choice is the right one?" Ala muttered.
"Yours," Edwin whispered, clutching her shoulder. "If you stop being a fool."
Ala closed her eyes.
I can lead armies... and people will die in my name. I, the favored child, a future goddess...
But even in a small group of adventurers, I was never the leader.
I will fight and win, and win, and win again...
But hobgoblins captured me. Gnolls nearly killed me. Little xvarts captured me. Bandits captured me.
I will lord over hearts and minds...
But Xzar and Montaron betrayed me, Jaheira lied to me, and Xan never listened to me...
I can never give my divinity to Sarevok...
But he will kill me and take it anyway...
What shall I do?
Stai, Xan, Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Sarevok--everyone was looking at her.
So many people... What are they doing here?
And what am I to do?
Ala took a deep breath.
And decided.
"I agree," she said. "I give up my Bhaal's essence. Do what you will."
"Excellent!" Cyric clapped his hands. "Now, can I take her divinity or not?"
"What?!"
Sarevok's, Imoen's and Ala's voices merged into one.
"Told you I wanted power," Cyric laughed. "I could not get Joneleth Irenicus as my ally, so I chose a bargain, instead: your power was to be my power. Solar said 'Sarevok', because she hoped you would never give your essence to him."
"You lied to me!" burst Sarevok.
"I think we can work together," Cyric said thoughtfully. "If you do not seek my realm of influence, that is. You know, there was a vacancy for a God of Bad Temper..."
"Enough," the Solar interfered. "Bhaalspawn, you made your choice. For you, and for your sister. Now the act must be carried out... prepare yourselves!"
"Goodbye, Ala," Cyric called out. "It was nice knowing you!"
"Idiot," Edwin groaned nearby.
"Thank you, sis," Imoen whispered. "Thank you ever so."
Ala took a deep breath, and the world went white.
The last thing she felt was a mask slipping off her face.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com