Ember's Tale 105: Hell Hath No Fury [pending revision]

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

Note: pending revision as of Oct 3

Another note: revised as of Oct 11, posted here.

Yet another note: pulled the revision, will look at it again in December when I get my spare time back :lol:

Chapter 105: Hell Hath No Fury

With a triumphant cry, Edwin leaped up from his desk.

At last, at long last, the secrets of the Nether Scroll had revealed themselves to him!

It was all there, written in the arcane symbols, the ancient lettering, the short (and, to Edwin's tastes, insipid) verses that were scattered throughout the manuscript, and now, with the final page he'd deciphered, it was all clear.

The scroll contained a spell of transformation, both basic and sophisticated. It was not unlike the transformation of mage to lich, but as far as Edwin could tell, it was without some of the more unpleasant connotations of lichdom, such as the necessity of dying to complete the change. No, there was not a single fragment of necromantic magic in the spell, and yet it would grant a change so true, so profound, so powerful...

Edwin closed his mouth. (It would not do to drool on the scroll like some unwashed, ignorant peasant.)

Whatever the change might be, it was perfectly clear that the creators of the scroll considered it to be a valuable lesson for any who dared seek out such magics - a lesson on a scale that would humble even the proudest mind.

Edwin's mind reeled at the implications. (The ramifications!)

So, Thay had sent the mighty Degardan to find him, had they? Hah! Degardan's prowess would be nothing compared to the might and skill of Edwin Odesseiron! The Zulkirs themselves would be like mere cattle! The Cowled Wizards, dust beneath his feet! Nothing would stand in his way after this! He would show them all! He would-

His thoughts were rudely interrupted by several loud crashing noises from one of the other rooms.

---

Water seeped out from under the door of the room Anomen was in. Minsc pulled the door open, all but ripping it off its hinges in the process.

On the other side of the doorway, the smashed remnants of an ewer and washbasin of glazed stoneware lay in the middle of a puddle. Some of the water pooled along the edge of an overturned table that was missing one leg; that leg lay on a dry part of the floor, with a crack running through more than half its length. Anomen stood behind the table with his back to the door, venting his anger on a chair that now bore a strong resemblance to kindling. He attacked the wreck with his bare hands, repeatedly smashing it against the floor. Each blow was echoed by a set of small ripples on the surface of the puddle. Anomen's war hammer lay carelessly thrown in the corner; Ember wondered dimly if the walls would still have been standing if he'd used that instead.

"Arvoreen, have mercy," Mazzy exclaimed.

Anomen spun around, his face livid and his eyes black with rage, and seemed to struggle to restrain himself from throwing the ruined chair at the intruders. "Leave me!" he bellowed.

"Go," Ember mouthed to Mazzy and Minsc. The two of them stepped back while Ember braved Anomen's furious glare and entered the room, closing the door behind her.

---

Edwin's patience had its limits.

He stomped across the room and shoved the door open. The Rasheman imbecile and the aggravating halfling were standing in the corridor, not lifting a finger to end the racket.

"What is this nonsense?!" Edwin demanded.

"Anomen," the halfling said. "He is... upset."

"(Typical. Just typical,)" Edwin grumbled. "Is that any reason to disturb my moment of triumph?"

The halfling gave him an incredulous look.

"You doubt me, diminutive one? Know then that I, the great Edwin Odesseiron, have successfully translated the Nether Scroll, and that I am but an incantation away from power beyond your meager imagination!"

---

"How is this justice?!" Anomen roared. "My sister lies cold and unavenged, and the murderer remains free to gloat over his victory!" He slammed the broken chair into the floor once more.

"But it might not have been Saerk," Ember said, trying to keep her voice calm and even.

"Who but he could have committed such an act?"

"A burglar, perhaps?"

"Moira had naught that was worth stealing!"

"Would a burglar necessarily have known that?"

For the first time since Ember entered the room, Anomen hesitated for a moment before responding. "You forget that none of her belongings were missing," he said. "Aye, a burglar would have taken what little there was ere he fled, would he not? And is it not well known, amongst nobles and thieves alike, that House Delryn has nothing of value, that its possessions are long since gone; that my father has DRIVEN US TO RUIN?!" He flung the chair at the wall with all his might; the force of the impact shattered what was left of the chair, showering the room with splintered pieces of wood. "I defied my father for what I thought was right, the drunken bastard cast me out of the family for what I thought was right, and my reward is that I can do nothing! I've sought out the law, as I should, but the law will not aid me!! How is this to be borne? I cannot let her murder go unanswered..."

"We could ask Bayle-"

"I should confront Saerk," Anomen said, suddenly calm.

---

"I'd suggest restraint," the narrow-minded halfling said. "It's dangerous to meddle with magic that you know nothing about."

"(Words of an uninformed fool!) I've prepared for this moment all my life, and lifetimes before! This will be mine, and I'll wait no longer!" Edwin slammed his door shut, hurried across the room to the desk, and picked up the scroll.

Unlimited power! Knowledge unimaginable! (And who deserved it more than he?)

Feeling more excited than even the first time he'd conjured a fireball, Edwin began to cast the Netherese spell.

---

"Do you not see? A direct challenge may force him to-"

"Anomen, he hates you and you hate him! If you walk into his house to confront him, especially in such a mood, how will it not end with one or both of you dead?"

"What would you know of my 'mood'?!" Anomen reached for the second chair in the room, no doubt to give it the same treatment he'd given the first; Ember seized his wrist with both hands and held him back. He pulled his arm back in an attempt to wrench it free from her grasp, but she tightened her grip, and all he accomplished was to pull her closer.

"Listen to me," she growled, her face only inches away from his. "I know what you told me at Moira's grave. And I know what I see in your face right now. You want to find someone, anyone, who you can blame for this, and make them pay. Can you deny that?"

Slowly, sullenly, he shook his head.

"You'd go to Saerk's home, and you'd accuse him of this murder, and you'd tell yourself that you would only act fairly," she continued. "But if he were to deny it, you'd regard him as a liar. If he were to get angry or mock you, you'd see it as an attempt to hide something. You'd go in, ready to see anything as an admission of guilt and an excuse for you to attack him, and then you'd be at his throat and you wouldn't stop until he lay dead and broken at your feet or his guards killed you, and even that possibility wouldn't hold you back, because all you want right now is to spill Saerk's blood!" She could see it in his eyes, clear as day, and part of her ached to help him do it. "Am I right?!"

Colour drained from his face. "I am so full of hate I can barely control it," he whispered. "My heart cries out for vengeance, even when I know I should not act without proof. No matter what the circumstances indicate..." He looked her in the eyes. "Please, my lady... Did I do the right thing? Should the dictates of the law truly overcome my duty to my family?"

"How would you feel if you were to kill Saerk and then found him to be innocent after the fact?"

"Aye... aye, that would be a stain to my honour I surely could not bear. But still..."

"Would Moira have wanted you to commit murder for her?"

He looked away. "Nay, she would not."

"There is no form of vengeance that will bring her back," Ember said quietly.

Anomen's knees buckled, and he sank to the floor.

---

The spell was rather unremarkable in execution. For a moment, Edwin wondered if anything had happened at all; he'd expected to feel the wisdom of the ages flow through him, but his mind felt just like usual. (He couldn't possibly have misinterpreted the incantation, could he?)

Then, he noticed there was something odd about his chest.

He touched his face.

His impeccably groomed beard had been replaced with smooth skin.

"This is bad," he muttered nervously in a voice that was best described as a somewhat nasal mezzosoprano.

His nerve broke.

"Blasphemy!" he shrieked. "An outrage against nature and order! This is beyond treachery!"

The door burst open, and the halfling and the imbecile rushed in. They halted after a few steps.

Was the halfling covering her mouth in surprise, or was that a grin she was trying to hide?

"Boo does not understand," the Rasheman fool said. "It is not as though the scoundrel will be missed, but where has Edwin gone and who is this woman who wears his clothes?"

"What?! How dare you, you stone-headed oaf! (A woman?!) This is shameful and revolting!"

"Revolting? You seem to have gained a fair enough shape," the halfling said. She most certainly was grinning at his plight!

"Plebeians! Vagrants! You dare gawk at my mantle," Edwin snarled, and tried to adjust his robes, which felt very tight around his upper chest. (Hmm, they weren't that bad, upon closer consideration...)

Wait.

What about...

He nervously reached for a lower area of his body.

"(Oh no,)" he moaned. "(No. NO!)"

Edwin fainted.

---

In the other room, Ember sat on the floor beside Anomen. She held him in her arms and gently rocked him back and forth while he, for the first time since he received the news, wept for his lost sister.

#2 Guest_Athkatya_*

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

Heya!

It's nice to see you and your story back. I won't keep you too long since you've probably got more writing to get on with, and reading and catching up to do (you've missed an outrageously funny new story by Coutelier while you've been away).

And as if I wasn't laughing enough already, I find this :lol: It's a bit odd to have the contrast between Anomen breaking down and the humourous events taking place outside. It lessens the impact of those emotional moments a little, but I suppose it may have been too much tugging at the heartstrings otherwise so it works.

Keep up the good work :(

#3 Guest_Tenfoot_*

Posted 28 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

At last, at long last, the secrets of the Nether Scroll had revealed themselves to him!

Oh no. Oh NO. :D

Edwin closed his mouth. (It would not do to drool on the scroll like some unwashed, ignorant peasant.)

Heh heh. I like the way he oh-so-subtly recognizes his own awe-struck-ness. You know, it might be just because, at the moment, I can't really recall any overt evilness from Edwin, but I do feel sorry for the poor chap right now.

Anomen spun around, his face livid and his eyes black with rage, and seemed to struggle to restrain himself from throwing the ruined chair at the intruders. "Leave me!" he bellowed.

"Go," Ember mouthed to Mazzy and Minsc. The two of them stepped back while Ember braved Anomen's furious glare and entered the room, closing the door behind her.

Yow. An emotional upheaval of a very different sort. And a good shift between them, as well. Poor Anomen. I feel sorry for him, too.

Feeling more excited than even the first time he'd conjured a fireball, Edwin began to cast the Netherese spell.

Wow. I love this cutting back-and-forth between the two, and their differnt... well, not crises, but upheavals of emotion. And I also love how Edwin thinks in exclamation marks.

"What would you know of my 'mood'?!" Anomen reached for the second chair in the room, no doubt to give it the same treatment he'd given the first; Ember seized his wrist with both hands and held him back. He pulled his arm back in an attempt to wrench it free from her grasp, but she tightened her grip, and all he accomplished was to pull her closer.

This little action-sequence is so clear, in the description and the subtext, it rocks.

Ember has wisdom.

"Revolting? You seem to have gained a fair shape to me," the halfling said. She most certainly was grinning at his plight!

"Plebeians! Vagrants! You dare gawk at my mantle," Edwin snarled, and tried to adjust his robes, which felt very tight around his upper chest. (Hmm, they weren't that bad, upon closer consideration...)

Wait.

What about...

Edwin fainted.

---

In the other room, Ember sat on the floor beside Anomen. She held him in her arms and gently rocked him back and forth while he, for the first time since he received the news, wept for his lost sister.

Oh, wow. Edwin is kinda misogynistic, huh? And oh, Anomen. I can't really remember reading anything that made me bounce between :lol: and :( quite so quickly.

#4 Guest_IronDragon_*

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

Yeah! Another great Ember update

#5 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:03 AM

The scroll contained a spell of transformation, both basic and sophisticated. It was not unlike the transformation of mage to lich, but as far as Edwin could tell, it was without some of the more unpleasant connotations of lichdom, such as the necessity of dying to complete the change. No, there was not a single fragment of necromantic magic in the spell, and yet it would grant a change so true, so profound, so powerful...

Well, some would say that he will indeed assume a far superior form to that of a male. :)

So, Thay had sent the mighty Degardan to find him, had they? Hah! Degardan's prowess would be nothing compared to the might and skill of Edwin Odesseiron! The Zulkirs themselves would be like mere cattle! The Cowled Wizards, dust beneath his feet! Nothing would stand in his way after this! He would show them all! He would-

Well, the result will certainly fool the mighty Degardan.

Good thing this didn’t happen when anyone from Saerk’s family were nearby.

Edwin vaguely recalled something being said about the cleric's sister. How typical of a Helmite to make so much fuss over a mere dead sibling (especially when far more important matters were at hand)! "Is that any reason to disturb my moment of triumph?" he asked sourly.

Not really, no. :)

"We could ask Bayle-"

Someone, restrain him quickly!

"I'd suggest restraint," the narrow-minded halfling said. "It's dangerous to meddle with magic that you know nothing about."

Oh, and you would be educated enough in arcane to offer a judgement on that?

"You'd go to Saerk's home, and you'd accuse him of this murder, and you'd tell yourself that you would only act fairly," she continued. "But if he were to deny it, you'd regard him as a liar. If he were to get angry or mock you, you'd see it as an attempt to hide something. You'd go in, ready to see anything as an admission of guilt and an excuse for you to attack him, and then you'd be at his throat and you wouldn't stop until he lay dead and broken at your feet or his guards killed you, and even that possibility wouldn't hold you back, because all you want right now is to spill Saerk's blood!" She could see it in his eyes, clear as day, and part of her ached to help him do it. "Am I right?!"

Umm… yes. :)

Better. It’s sad to see him in pain, but this is for the best.

"Revolting? You seem to have gained a fair shape to me," the halfling said. She most certainly was grinning at his plight!

Heh, I find myself agreeing with Mazzy… ;)

Edwin fainted.

Poor guy. But I think it would be too much to hope that he would learn something from this. :)

Awww.

#6 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

Or the retard you actually are?

He stomped across the room and shoved the door open. The Rasheman imbecile and the aggravating halfling were standing in the corridor, not lifting a finger to end the racket.

"Anomen," the halfling said. "He cannot avenge his sister. He is... upset."

Edwin vaguely recalled something being said about the cleric's sister. How typical of a Helmite to make so much fuss over a mere dead sibling (especially when far more important matters were at hand)! "Is that any reason to disturb my moment of triumph?" he asked sourly.

Ok, I'm going to say this seriously, no jokes or anything because, well... I just find I can't bring myself to make jokes at this point, even to cut the tension and such.

I think you've just gone and made me hate Edwin more than I've ever hated him. Ever. And I'm honestly not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. People always say that it's a good thing if folks react strongly to your characters, even if it's just to hate them, but this is just so... thoroughly repugnant that I... (Shakes head) Yeah.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not holding it against -you- personally, but I've never liked Edwin, and as I said, my opinion of him, which was already in the toilet to begin with, just went down by about a hundred notches. I didn't think it was possible, but there you go.

The utter gall of it, the complete and callous disregard just makes me sick. I'm completely repulsed, and more than that, I am more than tempted to just walk into the frame and beat the ever loving shit out of the man myself. I absolutely cannot stand people who are this self centered. As harsh as the sentiment may sound, I'm not even sure people like this should be allowed to -live-, and I'm normally one of those folks that like to think life should be considered sacred.

But seeing as how Anomen has just lost his sister, and he can't -do- anything about it... he's going through what may be the hardest moment of his life, and all Edwin cares about is that Anomen is making too much noise? If I were Mazzy or Minsc I would take Edwin out behind the building and, as I said, beat the piss out of him just for being a bastard.

And yes, I know, I'm ranting now, and I apologize, but Lord in Heaven, I just can't bring myself to read that and not spew some bile. It just... ugh.

Sorry. (Sigh)

That's not calm. That's "I'm going to do something rash, it just looks like I'm calm."

I always felt so bad for him. The poor guy just tries so hard but so many things just don't see to go his way. There's just so many "damned if you do, damned if you don't" moments with him. Somehow he pulls through, if you help him along, but it's a close thing, and it's hard to see him go through it all. He's a good guy, and he doesn't deserve that kind of BS.

-----

Ok, closing comments. It seems some of your other reviewers liked your approach to this chapter. Mixing the sad with the comedic. And admittedly, it -can- work if done right. With me, though, I think this one's a misfire, but at the same time, it's also partly my own fault. A lot of what makes this chapter not work so well for me is my visceral reaction to Edwin's little bit there at the beginning of the chapter, with him being cranky at Anomen making all that racket.

That right there makes it impossible to enjoy the comedy of the rest of it and so that entire section with him being turned into a woman falls flat for me. That essentially leaves you with half of your chapter... well... empty.

Now, normally, I really enjoy your work, but I just thought I'd be doing you a disservice if I didn't point out what I felt "went wrong" with things this one time.

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:09 AM

Heya!

It's nice to see you and your story back. I won't keep you too long since you've probably got more writing to get on with, and reading and catching up to do (you've missed an outrageously funny new story by Coutelier while you've been away).

Writing and reading, yes. I have 7 weeks to write a paper and study for my contact lens certification exam (the curriculum is equivalent to a half year of studying).

(In other words, updates to this may be slow for a while yet!)

And as if I wasn't laughing enough already, I find this ;) It's a bit odd to have the contrast between Anomen breaking down and the humourous events taking place outside. It lessens the impact of those emotional moments a little, but I suppose it may have been too much tugging at the heartstrings otherwise so it works.

I did it this way because I had two mediocre chapters and decided to shorten the misery by meshing them.

Keep up the good work :)

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:25 AM

Oh no. Oh NO. :(

Oh yes ;)

Heh heh. I like the way he oh-so-subtly recognizes his own awe-struck-ness. You know, it might be just because, at the moment, I can't really recall any overt evilness from Edwin, but I do feel sorry for the poor chap right now.

I don't. He was warned, and he's brought it upon himself :D

Yow. An emotional upheaval of a very different sort. And a good shift between them, as well. Poor Anomen. I feel sorry for him, too.

Glad it wasn't too weird a shift.

Wow. I love this cutting back-and-forth between the two, and their differnt... well, not crises, but upheavals of emotion. And I also love how Edwin thinks in exclamation marks.

He is the type to think like that, after all :)

I'm very glad the transitions worked for you; the best I hoped for was that they'd have a surreal effect.

This little action-sequence is so clear, in the description and the subtext, it rocks.

Ember has wisdom.

She tries.

Wait.

What about...

Edwin fainted.

---

Oh, wow. Edwin is kinda misogynistic, huh? And oh, Anomen. I can't really remember reading anything that made me bounce between :) and :) quite so quickly.

Yes, Edwin is a jerk. And Anomen is most appreciative of your sympathy :D

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:27 AM

Yeah! Another great Ember update

Thank you ;)

#10 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:34 AM

Well, some would say that he will indeed assume a far superior form to that of a male. :)

And, like the scroll says, a valuable lesson (one can hope) ;)

Well, the result will certainly fool the mighty Degardan.

For a while, at least.

Good thing this didn’t happen when anyone from Saerk’s family were nearby.

In a word: Yes.

Not really, no. :D

You know, it's really interesting to see the variation in responses to this particular paragraph :D Edwin likers like it, Edwin dislikers ...do not.

"We could ask Bayle-"

Someone, restrain him quickly!

Ember: Aye aye.

Oh, and you would be educated enough in arcane to offer a judgement on that?

She's educated enough about Edwin's personality to offer a judgement, yes.

Better. It’s sad to see him in pain, but this is for the best.

Yeah, he kind of needed this :P

Heh, I find myself agreeing with Mazzy… :)

:)

Edwin fainted.

Poor guy. But I think it would be too much to hope that he would learn something from this. :)

It remains to be seen :(

Awww.

:D

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:43 AM

Or the retard you actually are?

Technically speaking, intelligence isn't the field where he's more than lacking.

"Anomen," the halfling said. "He cannot avenge his sister. He is... upset."

Ok, I'm going to say this seriously, no jokes or anything because, well... I just find I can't bring myself to make jokes at this point, even to cut the tension and such.

I think you've just gone and made me hate Edwin more than I've ever hated him. Ever. And I'm honestly not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. People always say that it's a good thing if folks react strongly to your characters, even if it's just to hate them, but this is just so... thoroughly repugnant that I... (Shakes head) Yeah.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not holding it against -you- personally, but I've never liked Edwin, and as I said, my opinion of him, which was already in the toilet to begin with, just went down by about a hundred notches. I didn't think it was possible, but there you go.

The utter gall of it, the complete and callous disregard just makes me sick. I'm completely repulsed, and more than that, I am more than tempted to just walk into the frame and beat the ever loving shit out of the man myself. I absolutely cannot stand people who are this self centered. As harsh as the sentiment may sound, I'm not even sure people like this should be allowed to -live-, and I'm normally one of those folks that like to think life should be considered sacred.

But seeing as how Anomen has just lost his sister, and he can't -do- anything about it... he's going through what may be the hardest moment of his life, and all Edwin cares about is that Anomen is making too much noise? If I were Mazzy or Minsc I would take Edwin out behind the building and, as I said, beat the piss out of him just for being a bastard.

And yes, I know, I'm ranting now, and I apologize, but Lord in Heaven, I just can't bring myself to read that and not spew some bile. It just... ugh.

Sorry. (Sigh)

Don't be sorry. How else would I know that his callousness was that much stronger than I intended?
I think I'll remove Edwin's knowledge of why Anomen is upset, to lessen it a bit. (He is, after all, oblivious to that which doesn't directly concern him, and it'd be easy for him to not notice the death message at all).

That's not calm. That's "I'm going to do something rash, it just looks like I'm calm."

Exactly.

I always felt so bad for him. The poor guy just tries so hard but so many things just don't see to go his way. There's just so many "damned if you do, damned if you don't" moments with him. Somehow he pulls through, if you help him along, but it's a close thing, and it's hard to see him go through it all. He's a good guy, and he doesn't deserve that kind of BS.

That's why I think he's one of the more interesting characters in the game. But as with all of them, it depends on how you regard them.

Ok, closing comments. It seems some of your other reviewers liked your approach to this chapter. Mixing the sad with the comedic. And admittedly, it -can- work if done right. With me, though, I think this one's a misfire, but at the same time, it's also partly my own fault. A lot of what makes this chapter not work so well for me is my visceral reaction to Edwin's little bit there at the beginning of the chapter, with him being cranky at Anomen making all that racket.

That right there makes it impossible to enjoy the comedy of the rest of it and so that entire section with him being turned into a woman falls flat for me. That essentially leaves you with half of your chapter... well... empty.

Now, normally, I really enjoy your work, but I just thought I'd be doing you a disservice if I didn't point out what I felt "went wrong" with things this one time.

Like I said, I appreciated it ;)

This chapter started out as just the bit with Anomen, but I was left with a good ending after half a chapter, and filled the rest with Ember angsting. I was going to put Edwin's change in the next, but didn't have enough there either. So I decided to cut the surplus angst and boredom and put both incidents in the same chapter, which in the worst case would mean only one poor chapter instead of two.

#12 Laufey

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

*shakes head* Oh dear, here we go again...

In other words, it's too good to be true. ;)

Whatever the change might be, it was perfectly clear that the creators of the scroll considered it to be a valuable lesson for any who dared seek out such magics - a lesson on a scale that would humble even the proudest mind.

Nah, he wouldn't be himself if he was humbled. :)

On the other side of the doorway, the smashed remnants of an ewer and washbasin of glazed stoneware lay in the middle of a puddle. Some of the water pooled along the edge of an overturned table that was missing one leg; that leg lay on a dry part of the floor, with a crack running through more than half its length. Anomen stood behind the table with his back to the door, venting his anger on a chair that now bore a strong resemblance to kindling. He attacked the wreck with his bare hands, repeatedly smashing it against the floor. Each blow was echoed by a set of small ripples on the surface of the puddle. Anomen's war hammer lay carelessly thrown in the corner; Ember wondered dimly if the walls would still have been standing if he'd used that instead.

Well, better the chair than a person I suppose.

Really, Eddie? I would never have guessed. :)

Not really, no. :)

Aw, this is so hard on him. :) Ultimately it will be for the better though.

"This is bad," he muttered nervously in a voice that was best described as a somewhat nasal mezzosoprano.

But you still look adorable though. :D *hugs Eddie*
Rogues do it from behind.

#13 Laufey

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:07 PM

You know, it's really interesting to see the variation in responses to this particular paragraph ;) Edwin likers like it, Edwin dislikers ...do not.

Well that's not really surprising, we all tend to react more strongly about characters we already feel strongly about, one way or another. In my own case, I know perfectly well that Edwin is selfish and very capable of saying something callous like this. It doesn't make me adore him any less though, it's all part of his character as I see it.
Rogues do it from behind.

#14 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:23 PM

*shakes head* Oh dear, here we go again...

;)

In other words, it's too good to be true. :)

Well, strictly speaking, he has interpreted this much correctly :)

Nah, he wouldn't be himself if he was humbled. :)

Not even the greatest Netherese prankster could have expected someone like Edwin, I'm afraid :D

Well, better the chair than a person I suppose.

Yes.

Really, Eddie? I would never have guessed. :)

I was wondering how long it'd take anyone to comment on that line :P

Aw, this is so hard on him. :( Ultimately it will be for the better though.

Yeah, at least now he'll let some of it out in a way that won't harm anyone. He still has a bit to go to come to terms with himself and the state of things, of course.

But you still look adorable though. :D *hugs Eddie*

Edwin: I am not adorable! (Even if I am! But I am not!)

#15 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:26 PM

You know, it's really interesting to see the variation in responses to this particular paragraph ;) Edwin likers like it, Edwin dislikers ...do not.

Well that's not really surprising, we all tend to react more strongly about characters we already feel strongly about, one way or another. In my own case, I know perfectly well that Edwin is selfish and very capable of saying something callous like this. It doesn't make me adore him any less though, it's all part of his character as I see it.

True. And, as I've said before, my version of Edwin is not intended to be cute, or kind, or anything about not outright Evil.

However, it's been toned down a notch now - because realistically, neither Minsc nor Mazzy would have carried on the conversation with him the way it was. (He might, of course, have preferred a good beating to getting the chance to cast his precious new spell, if he'd known the outcome :) )

#16 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

Edwin needs a friend like Badger from The Wind in the Willows to step in, saying 'vanity, vanity; all is vanity...' Don't know why i'm associating Edwin with Toad of Toad Hall right now... Toad at least had some redeeming character traits; like he wasn't a scumbag. My mind just makes very odd associations sometimes :)

Edwin: Oh, ignore the fool. Isn't it obvious he's just trying to get everyone's attention?

Aerie: W-well, his sister died. I-I think that justifies wanting some attention.

Imoen: Anyway, Edwin's just upset because he thinks it's stealing the scene away from him.

"(Words of an uninformed fool!) I've prepared for this moment all my life, and lifetimes before! This will be mine, and I'll wait no longer!" Edwin slammed his door shut, hurried across the room to the desk, and picked up the scroll.

Is that a curse, like 'the scottish play'?

"How would you feel if you were to kill Saerk and then found him to be innocent after the fact?"

"Aye... aye, that would be a stain to my honour I surely could not bear. But still..."

Poor Ano :lol: Just about any crappy thing that can happen to a man seems to happen to him.

Edwin: And I have seen his future. He gets old and fat.

Imoen: Um... that's what happens to most men.

Edwin: Not to me.

Tarant: Right... you'll be a corpse before you get old.

Wait.

What about...

Edwin fainted.

Imoen: I don't get it... everything down there looks the same as usual to me.

I thought this chapter was good... Edwin's a git, but any Edwin who isn't a git is Edwin in name only.

#17 Guest_Ananke_*

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

What an odd chapter.

That was seriously my first thought on reading it. And yes, I did read the unaltered version.

I think the change is a good idea, but beyond that - I still can't make up my mind what to think of the chapter. I appreciate the effort to tone down the angst with comedy, but - well, I don't think it's really working. It's like you said yourself in one of the comments above: neither Mazzy nor Minsc would have realistically reacted this way to Edwin's shenanigans. Not at this moment. And since, in general, your characters do react realistically... Well. On one hand, you demand a serious frame of mind, as in, "that's a novel", but on the other, you totally don't, as in, "that's totally a fanfic ;)". I'm not sure my mind can handle the stress. :)

#18 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:13 PM

I've read through both the unaltered and altered versions of the chapter... and I do think the altered version is a significant improvement (Edwin at least seems human enough to actually have feelings [necessary for his interest in Imoen])

However, I really don't think it works. One, because even altered, Edwin's callousness would still seriously upset Mazzy and Minsc. You're talking about one of the noblest and nicest characters and perhaps the most empathic. A companion/friend is in the middle of a huge emotional crisis. Their nerves should be entirely raw and any such behavior should earn him a dressing down from at least Minsc. You've been so good with character consistency that this lack here... it just doesn't jive well.

Second, I just don't think it works structurally. Part of that feeling comes from really looking forward to both scenes. Especially how you were going to give Eddie the gotting he deserves. The whole Nether Scroll has been building for so long that not giving it a place to shine on it's own dims it significantly. The same can be said for this big scene between Anomen and Ember. The romance has been stirring and such a moment could really bond them. I know why you tried to interweave them, but I don't think it worked. Honestly, I don't think it ever really could... the scenes are so completely different. Tragicomedy can work... but only when it's at the same time, not running parallel.

*Shrugs and grimaces* I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I think you have two great chapters here. But blended together like this, you have one poor one.

Sorry.

VH

#19 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:19 PM

Edwin needs a friend like Badger from The Wind in the Willows to step in, saying 'vanity, vanity; all is vanity...' Don't know why i'm associating Edwin with Toad of Toad Hall right now... Toad at least had some redeeming character traits; like he wasn't a scumbag. My mind just makes very odd associations sometimes :)

Now you're reminding me of some story I read where Toad and Rat were trying to go to Rat's house, except there had been house development and his house was gone and they froze to death. I wonder where I saw that story...

Is that a curse, like 'the scottish play'?

Maybe it is!

Poor Ano :lol: Just about any crappy thing that can happen to a man seems to happen to him.

Yeah, he definitely gets more than his fair share :D

Edwin fainted.

Imoen: I don't get it... everything down there looks the same as usual to me.

I thought this chapter was good... Edwin's a git, but any Edwin who isn't a git is Edwin in name only.

My philosophy exactly.

#20 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

What an odd chapter.

That was seriously my first thought on reading it. And yes, I did read the unaltered version.

Well, that was my thought while writing it. Or rather, I used 'surreal'.

I think the change is a good idea, but beyond that - I still can't make up my mind what to think of the chapter. I appreciate the effort to tone down the angst with comedy, but - well, I don't think it's really working. It's like you said yourself in one of the comments above: neither Mazzy nor Minsc would have realistically reacted this way to Edwin's shenanigans. Not at this moment. And since, in general, your characters do react realistically... Well. On one hand, you demand a serious frame of mind, as in, "that's a novel", but on the other, you totally don't, as in, "that's totally a fanfic ;)". I'm not sure my mind can handle the stress. :)

Hrm.

I think part of the problem is that I didn't intend Edwin's bit to be comedy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com