Chapter 16

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jover_*

Posted 25 February 2003 - 03:56 PM

Chapter 16

Tasmia was bored, it had been days since she had risen as a fledgling vampire and more than anything she wanted to be of service to her beloved Mistress. Currently, that service meant keeping watch near one of the entrances to their home beneath the Graveyard District. A less than satisfying assignment for the new vampire. “Where is the excitement.” she sighed, “I’ll never be able to impress the Mistress by guarding this stupid door. If only someone would come in here, I’d tear them to pieces, I’d...” Her daydreams were cut short as the tomb's door began to open, startling her greatly. After a brief moment of panic Tasmia shifted into her mist form and disappeared into the deep shadows.

“I be glad ye came to yer senses.” Korgan said, as he pushed open the door to the tomb. “Findin’ tha’ bleedin’ book will be easy gold fer the likes o’ us.”

“This was the only work I could find Korgan.” Jover said, “We wouldn’t be here otherwise.”

“Jover.” Aerie said hesitantly, “This is a big city, surely we can still find other work, this.. this is wrong, I can feel it.”

“Minsc agrees my witch.” Minsc added “To become grave robbers is a great dishonor upon our names, see how Boo hides his face in shame.”

“Minsc, you and Boo have to remember that we’re doing this for Imoen. We can’t sit around some comfortable inn and wait until the perfect opportunity comes along, not while she is locked up.” Jover explained. “Besides, we aren’t robbing anything that’s Korgan’s job, we’re just here to clear the way by putting some undead monsters to rest.”

“You are not fooling anyone Jover.” Jaheira said, sounding displeased. “You are merely trying to justify deeds that you know in your heart to be wrong.”

“Damnation long limb!” Korgan swore, as he looked up at Jover. “Why in the bloody hells do ye put up with this whining’ bunch? Yer supposed to be their bleedin’ leader, put ’em in their proper place.”

Jover took a step closer and stared down coldly at the dwarf. “My friends don’t have a ‘proper place’, and can say anything they please to me, a privilege you don’t have yet.” Jover said with a hint of anger. “So, if you want to find that book I suggest you lead on.. and keep your insults to yourself.”

Korgan looked up at Jover with a deep scowl on his face trying to stare down the taller fighter, but soon the dwarf’s greed won out. “Let’s get to cuttin’ then.” Korgan said, heading into the tunnel. “The sooner I be done with the sorry lot o’ ye the better!”

After the companions had gone the Tasmia slowly reformed, smiling happily. The vampire’s first thought upon seeing these people was that one of them could be her very first kill. ‘Imagine how much blood there is in that big one.’ she thought, running her tongue against her fangs. It had been hearing the smaller human’s name that stopped her.. that and the overwhelming odds, although she refused to admit that last part to herself. Jover was the one, any attacks against him had been forbidden by the Mistress, this could only mean that she wanted him all to herself. “Oh the Mistress will be so pleased.” Tasmia breathed as she hurried away towards a secret passage.

In the Promenade District a vendor watched with suspicion as an unusual figure approached his stand.
The person, a woman judging by their size and walk, was covered completely by clothing including a hood and veil that hid her face. ‘Must be horribly disfigured to cover up like that.’ the vendor thought, ‘I hope it’s not some disease.’ Smiling cautiously he gave her the usual greeting, then began pointing out some of his better items only to be met with silence in return. The masked woman quickly selected a few items, but instead of speaking held them up as if to ask the price. ‘Mute as well, that poor woman.’ the vendor thought sympathetically, as he quoted a better than fair price. The woman looked at the items for a moment deciding which she could afford, before laying some of them back down. Feeling sorry for the hardships he thought this woman was suffering under, the vendor was about to give her the extra items when the woman reached into the folds of her robe for a coin purse. As she did this, her sleeve was inadvertently pushed back and for a brief moment, revealed a glimpse of the smooth dark grey skin above her glove. Seeing this, the vendor’s eyes widened in shock, but he said nothing while calmly accepting the payment. It was only after the woman had had walked away did he turn to the closest person and begin to whisper excitedly. Soon the Promenade began to buzz with rumors, all starting with the same word. “Drow.”

“I don‘t like it.” Jover said, looking around cautiously. The fighter had just lit a row of torches near the door of the large burial chamber that Korgan had led them to. The room itself was empty, but two of its walls were lined with rows of closed doors. “This stinks of being a trap.”

“Who in the bloody hells cares, me employer Pimlico says this be the one tha’ holds the book.” Korgan said, as he started forward.

“Hold it dwarf.” Jover said, grabbing Korgan by the shoulder. “You wanted us here for a reason, so let us do our part, Jaheira are there any traps on these doors?”

“No, there are a few traps on that floor mural, but the doors appear safe.” Jaheira said, after using her druidic powers discern any hidden threat. “Although they may conceal other dangers.”

“They usually do.” Jover said, tiredly. “All right lets get this over with, Aerie you’re our cleric your job is to turn the undead.”

Aerie looked nervously at Jover, then bowed her head before speaking “Jover, I.. I’ve never …” she began.

“Fought the undead before.” Jover finished, giving the Avariel a very brief smile “I didn’t think you would’ve, just keep away from the actual fighting and do your best. Minsc your task is…”

“To protect my witch!” Minsc interrupted loudly as he took a step closer to Aerie.

‘I knew this ‘witch’ thing would lead to trouble.’ Jover thought, before saying. “Yes Minsc you can protect Aerie, but you’ll do it by staying up in front with me and Korgan.”

“Don’t be givin’ me any bleedin’ orders long limb.” Korgan snarled. “I nay be part o’ yer bloody crew.”

“We’ve been though this before Korgan.” Jover said angrily. “For today, you are one of my crew so do what I say.. or you’ll regret it.” The fighter then turned his back to the dwarf and prepared to enter the room.

“Jover could I have a word with you?” Jaheira asked, in a tone that made it more of a command than a question. “Before we start this.. endeavor.” The druid then walked a short distance from the group waiting for Jover to follow.

“Bloody hells!” Korgan swore, “Don’t ye groundlings ever do to anythin’ without a bunch o’ damned talkin’. We be within reach of the bleedin’ book and yer wastin’ time.”

Jover had started after the druid, but paused to turn back towards his other companions. “Minsc, Aerie, if Korgan tries to do anything.. stop him.” Jover said looking directly the dwarf, before continuing after Jaheira.

“What is this about Jaheira?” Jover asked impatiently, “We have work to do and this isn’t the best place to chat.”

“No it is not, but I feel this is necessary.” Jaheira said quietly. “Ever since we left the docks to pursue this task, you have not seemed like your normal self. I realize you took this job solely for Imoen’s sake, however
I doubt the gold we receive will be enough to matter very much. Certainly not enough to do something as distasteful as grave robbing or put up with that despicable dwarf.”

“Korgan isn’t the problem.” Jover said, forcing a smile for Jaheira. “After all, I’m used to traveling with people that irritate me.”

Jaheira ignored the taunt and waited calmly, showing Jover that he would not joke his way out of their conversation.

“All right.” Jover said, giving in to Jaheira’s patient gaze. “Mostly it’s the job, I hate doing this more than I can tell you, and before you say it Jaheira, no I will not walk away. Imoen comes first, how I feel doesn’t matter.” The fighter then closed his eyes and leaned against the wall, the tension clear on his normally smiling face.

Jaheira looked at her friend in sympathy. ‘Only twenty two years old, and yet he has seen an elf’s lifetime worth of strife.’ she thought, before speaking. “I am quite certain Imoen would disagree, but since you are so stubbornly determined to do this, let us start now and be done with it quickly as possible.”

Jover opened his eyes and nodded, managing a brief smile that Jaheira knew was genuine, before leading the way back towards the room.

It was only later, after rejoining their companions, did Jaheira begin think about Jover’s answer. ‘Mostly it’s the job’ he had said, leaving the druid to wonder what was the other part.

“You have to let me see the Mistress!” Tasmia pleaded, looking at the door that led to the dining chamber of her Mistress Bodhi.

“You know the rules, no one may enter while the Mistress is dining.” The vampire Del said with amusement, thinking of the last time Bodhi had been disturbed that way.

“But.. I must see her now!” Tasmia continued, “I know something that is important.”

“I doubt that.” Del said, “Tell me first, then I shall decide if it is worthy of her attention.”

“No! It’s my secret!” Tasmia yelled, transforming back into her mist form to flow right past the older vampire and around the closed door.

Cursing his own stupidity, Del opened the door and charged after Tasmia. “You insignificant brat!” he hissed, “If you’ve disturbed the mistress I will..”

“Die horribly for the second time in your miserable existence.” said a voice from the head of the table where Bodhi sat. As she spoke the vampire leader delicately used a linen napkin to dab at the corners of her mouth, before draping it across the face of the lifeless man on her table.

“Mistress!” Del said, dropping to his knees to grovel. “This young fool…”

“Be silent Del.” Bodhi commanded “If you are very quite, I might forget you… for now.” Bodhi then turned her attention to Tasmia. “You there, come here young one.” Tasmia quickly shifted back to her normal form and rushed to kneel by Bodhi’s chair.

“You’re one of mine, aren’t you?” Bodhi asked, lazily stroking Tasmia’s hair with one hand. “Of course you are.. I never forget a taste.”

“Yes my mistress.” Tasmia breathed, pleased that Bodhi had remembered her.

“What is it that brings you here.. my pet?” Bodhi asked.

“The man Mistress, he’s here!” Tasmia said eagerly. “Jover is here!”

“Jover.” Bodhi repeated, a rare look of surprise on her face. “You’re certain of this.”

“Yes Mistress, I saw him, and his companions as well.” Tasmai said, “They went towards the southern chamber and spoke of retrieving some book.”

“Ah, undoubtedly on another of his foolish quests.” Bodhi said in an amused tone. “Such an impetuous man this Jover is, I wonder if my dear brother will gain that quality as well.”

“Shall I summon your forces mistress?” Del asked, from his spot on the floor. “We can capture the Bhaalspawn for you and bring him here.”

“Did you hear a voice my pet?” Bodhi asked looking at Tasmia.

“No my Mistress.” Tasmia said, greatly enjoying the trouble Del was in.

“The southern chamber is where I exiled all of those horrid skeletons and other unsightly undead. They should keep Jover sufficiently occupied until I am properly prepared for our meeting.” Bodhi stood, and placed her hand under Tasmia’s chin, directing the young vampire to stand as well. “Come along my pet, you have done well today and deserve a reward… you may attend me while I bathe.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com