Ember's Tale 83: The Road to Imnesvale

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:55 PM

hop, finally caught up with this :D

The effort is much appreciated :D

You really have interesting characters without "redeeming" them or making them "cool" like so many do, so that's great.

I try to avoid doing that, yes (although I suppose Edwin could be eviler, except then my party wouldn't have him :P ). Thanks!

i love Druids, too :D As a matter of curiosity, Ember is not taking anymore warrior levels, does she?

Nope. Seven is more than sufficient. She'll still get to grandmaster stuff, as a dual class, so that'll be her further warriorish progress (I don't like to think too much in terms of levels/classes, which is why Imoen is not a Thief, but a mage who can work locks and traps and a bow)

The way she caught up with the taint wth the druidic aspect is something i was thinking of doing myself, so i will have to do somehting else if i ever manage to get a fic on :)

Hey, I wouldn't mind seeing another druid story myself :cry:

The onle thing i am not completely agreeing with you on is your "5 NPC" limit you are keeping, except for some small times :/ I can't understand, for exemple, why they didn't try to keep yelsick with them, given their lack of cleric at the time :D

Yeslick wasn't a fighter/cleric, he was an emaciated prisoner who assumed a role of responsibility for other emaciated prisoners. Also, I didn't think I could write him, and my characters don't think in terms of 'we need class x to continue'. I actually played through everything with the parties as they are in each chapter, so even if I might not write the actual tactics I used for a given fight, I do write the exact characters :) (This means that yes, level 2 druid Ember accompanied by Minsc managed, just the two of them, to kill the bounty hunters south of Gullykin. It also means that Imoen did kill Sarevok with magic missiles.)

The fewer-than-six parties are a consequence of my difficulty with juggling multiple characters and letting them all have a fair part in the story.

Great work!

#22 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:20 PM

[quote]
Lord Valygar Corthala was a gruff, quiet man, with a strong distrust of magic and mages that he made no attempt to hide, but he was not an unfriendly man.
[/quote]

Well. That's our V Man. :shock:

[quote]
"My ancestor, the necromancer Lavok, committed many foul deeds, and my mother's family swore to put an end to him. They pursued him for many years. Eventually, he built a sphere that would let him reach other planes. He disappeared in it, over five centuries ago," Valygar said. "In the years that followed, my mother's line continued to produce wizards, but not one of them learned from Lavok's folly. They all came to bitter ends; they killed each other in their pursuits, or had to be... dealt with. I am the last of Lavok's line."

"And then the sphere returned," Yoshimo said.
[/quote]

I like this, how you've trimmed some of the quests but made them still part of the story.

Course, I've always liked the Planar Sphere quest. It's kinda fun.

[quote]
"Aye." Valygar sighed. "The sphere appeared in the slums of Athkatla around Midwinter. I was wintering in my cabin in the Umar Hills, and only learned of its return when a group of Cowled Wizards came for me. Naturally, they knew of Lavok, and they believed my blood would allow them to gain access to the sphere. They tried to force my co-operation. I... defended myself."
[/quote]

Bran: "The question is, how many pieces were they in afterwards."

Aleria: *vicious smile* "They came with murder in their hearts and treachery in their souls. And they received their just rewards."

Bran: "Have I ever mentioned you can be downright frightening sometimes?"

Aleria: "I cannot be pleased that good triumphed over evil?"

Bran: "Heh. Nope."

[quote]
"Cowled Wizards again?" Minsc exclaimed. "They are everywhere, winding sticky ropes of evil around the feet of all good heroes! Just thinking of them has Boo outraged!" He glanced at his shoulder, where the hamster in question was calmly nibbling a seed, and added, "It is a good thing that Boo does not think about the Cowled Wizards while he is busy eating."
[/quote]

You do one of the best Minsc's I've ever seen. :wink:

[quote]
Valygar stared at Minsc with a bemused look on his face. "What happened next?" Ember asked him.
[/quote]

Bran: "He takes some getting used to. But we love the big lug anyway."

[quote]
"What happened? Ah, yes. I could not knowingly allow a fiend such as Lavok to return to Amn."

"But surely Lavok would be dead, after so many years?" Anomen asked.
[/quote]

Aleria: "It is amazing the power wizardry has to prolong life."

Imoen: "Yup! I'll be cute for ALL ETERNITY!"

Aleria: "And just as immature."

Imoen: :P

[quote]
"He had extended his life before through foul magic, and time may flow differently on the planes," Valygar said. "I could not ignore the possibility that he might still exist. I gathered a group of trusted companions, and went to the sphere. As the Cowled Wizards had guessed, my relationship to Lavok allowed us to enter. However, the sphere soon sealed itself again, and took us away to another plane."
[/quote]

It went to...

HOBOKEN!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!

[quote]
"We were trapped," he continued. "There was nothing to do but investigate the sphere. We worked our way through its many traps, and found a group of knights from another plane. Much like us, they had become trapped inside the sphere when it came to their world. They aided us as we fought our way onwards... there were many foul creatures from many worlds, including our own. Two Cowled Wizards had followed me within. They ambushed us, but we were stronger than them."
[/quote]

Don't forget the FERAL HALFLINGS! OF DOOM!

[quote]
"We found Lavok in the very heart of his sphere. The alien knights fought with us against him. One of my comrades fell to his accursed spells, and two of the alien knights were destroyed, but in the end, we vanquished Lavok. My family's oath was fulfilled."

"But you were still trapped," Yoshimo said. "How did you manage to return?"

"The controls of the sphere were not hard to understand. Returning to Faerun was a simple matter. My companions and I left the sphere to the alien knights, so that they might find their way home again."
[/quote]

And back to Solamnia they go. :lol:

[quote]
"So you just gave away the sphere," Edwin grumbled.

"There was nothing within that I wanted."

"Five hundred years of accumulated knowledge. The secrets of planar travel, of longevity, just tossed aside."
[/quote]

*snorts* Two men with DIFFERENT agendas.

[quote]
"Some things are not worth learning. I would not expect you to understand, wizard," Valygar said, glaring at Edwin.
[/quote]

It's actually a point I somewhat agree with. Some things should not be discovered... or at least, it probably wasn't the best idea in the world.

Biological weapons for instance. Mustard gas. Haggis.

[quote]
"Young Anomen!" Yoshimo said. "Samurai of the west, roaming in service of god and lord. Tell us something of your adventures."
[/quote]

Ahh, the ol bait and switch. :roll:

[quote]
"Very well. I shall tell you about the Order's campaign against the Hillgnasher giants... now, that brought the blood up!"
[/quote]

Huzzah! The Hillgnasher giants! :D

[quote]
Imnesvale lay where the hills to the east met a dense, dark forest to the north, and was surrounded by several small farms. The village itself straddled a winding stream that came down from the moors. There were no distinct streets, and even though there was a single bridge, made from thick planks, it was not needed; as the group entered the village, Ember could make out at least two good wading sites. Most of the buildings were thatched with thick layers of straw, and their white-caulked walls seemed to glow in the strong afternoon sunlight. It would have fit anyone's imagination of a perfectly idyllic village if not for the flocks of sheep that milled around in makeshift pens beside several of the small houses, bleating plaintively as they trampled the grass beneath them into a muddy mess.
[/quote]

You really do nature descriptions amazingly well. ;)

[quote]
"Well, ye can see for yerself," Dale said, gesturing with one hand towards the sheep pens. "Me an' Margie had to come into the village... just ain't safe anymore out there! I knows two other herders who vanished, an' the farmers ain't safe, neither. Farmer Jacob an' his wife were both slaughtered... and then their bodies disappeared! Merella's gone missin', too. She set off with some adventurers, and they ain't ever come back! Turrible things, all."
[/quote]

Could it be...

THE SHADE LORD?

Or perhaps something MORE FOUL?

Like... UNDERPANTS GNOMES?

[quote]

[quote]
"Nonsense! How could an ogre sneak into the village and steal a body? No, no. I am certain they still protect us."

"Ogres that protect?" Minsc asked. "But ogres are evil! How can this be?"
[/quote]

Every once and a while they get silly notions in their heads like random slaughter isn't the best possible idea. ;)

[quote]
"They are deserters from the Sythilisian armies," Valygar explained. "They came here a year ago, asking for peace. Now they guard the village border to the east. In return, they are allowed to stay near the village, and may come here to trade a few goods every now and then. Their leader Madulf is wise, for an ogre. I have spoken with him."
[/quote]

Good work V. ;)

[quote]
"Everyone is so upset and frightened," Margie said. "People start thinking things are happening that aren't! Some blame poor Madulf and his band," she looked pointedly at her husband, "some think that Umar has returned... and our very own daughter spun a tale about shadows in the woods!" The woman said the last part with a light air, as if to show how dismissive she was of the very notion, but the spark of fear in her eyes told otherwise. Ember felt a pang of sympathy for the woman; she knew all too well what it was like to be hounded by an unknown enemy. It's no wonder at all that they're clinging to whatever rational explanations they can come up with.
[/quote]

Ember's deduction there is a good one. :D

[quote]
The minister immediately began to tell a story that did not differ much from the one the group had just heard from Dale and Margie. He knew more of the leads Merella and the pack of adventurers that vanished with her had been following, and he was adamant that Madulf's ogres were innocent - humans were not the only beings that had been lost - but other than that, he had little to tell them that wasn't merely rumours or speculation.
[/quote]

And thusly, the fear is ramped up. :P

[quote]
"Inside out?" Ember repeated, aghast. She didn't know of any murderers that would tear people apart and steal their bodies later, but she did know of one that might do such things to his victims. "Has anyone else been found like that?"
[/quote]

Hidesman is about.

[quote]
Could Rejiek Hidesman have fled here? The tanner would have been in Athkatla when the troubles started, but he would have had ample opportunity to reach Imnesvale by the time old Hudson was killed. "Out of curiosity," Ember asked, "have any tanners arrived in town lately?"

"Actually, a tanner did pass through only a few days ago," Eina said. "You can't miss that smell!"

"Oh yes, I remember the fellow," the minister said. "Had a mage friend, didn't he? They left two days ago."

Just before old Hudson was found. So far, it all fit. "What did the tanner and his friend look like?"

"Let me see... the tanner was rather short, brown hair... nothing to look at, really," Eina said. "And his friend was quite tall and lanky. They were both so unfriendly, I wasn't at all sorry to see them leave!" She eyed Ember warily. "Do you know them? Do you think they might be... involved?"
[/quote]

Redjek up to his old tricks. Good to see that there will be a reckoning with that bastard. :D

[quote]
"Minsc remembers the evil skinner! His time will come, for Minsc will bring him it to him on a silver platter of righteousness!" Behind the giant ranger, Edwin groaned exasperatedly.
[/quote]

YES! Silver platter of righteousness for the WIN!

[quote]
"Do not worry! Minsc and Boo and friends will find them, and give them a swift kick in the evil! We will-"
[/quote]

Swift kick in the evil?

Cel... you're making me nervous that I can't write Minsc with the way you're coming up aces with every line. :D

[quote]
Minsc slowly nodded. "Minsc does not like agreeing with the wizard, but it is as little Ember says. We must go where evil is in most need of a beating."
[/quote]

Wisdom again.

[quote]
"My companions and I will do our best to expose the fiend behind the other murders," Valygar said. "We will follow Merella's trail tomorrow."[/quote]

And then... it'll be time to kick ass and chew bubblegum.

And no one has gotten around to inventing bubblegum in Faerun yet. :D

Great chapter, as was the last one Cel. :D

VH

#23 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:35 PM

Lord Valygar Corthala was a gruff, quiet man, with a strong distrust of magic and mages that he made no attempt to hide, but he was not an unfriendly man.

Well. That's our V Man. :(

V man Valygar: *stony silence*

"My ancestor, the necromancer Lavok, committed many foul deeds, and my mother's family swore to put an end to him. They pursued him for many years. Eventually, he built a sphere that would let him reach other planes. He disappeared in it, over five centuries ago," Valygar said. "In the years that followed, my mother's line continued to produce wizards, but not one of them learned from Lavok's folly. They all came to bitter ends; they killed each other in their pursuits, or had to be... dealt with. I am the last of Lavok's line."

"And then the sphere returned," Yoshimo said.

I like this, how you've trimmed some of the quests but made them still part of the story.

Mind you, I make no promises that that'll happen to every quest I skip (as witnessed by the myriad of NPCs that my party never even met in the BG 1 part of my story).

Course, I've always liked the Planar Sphere quest. It's kinda fun.

It is, but it didn't seem to make a good fit for Ember.

"Aye." Valygar sighed. "The sphere appeared in the slums of Athkatla around Midwinter. I was wintering in my cabin in the Umar Hills, and only learned of its return when a group of Cowled Wizards came for me. Naturally, they knew of Lavok, and they believed my blood would allow them to gain access to the sphere. They tried to force my co-operation. I... defended myself."

Bran: "The question is, how many pieces were they in afterwards."

Valygar: ...Several.

Aleria: *vicious smile* "They came with murder in their hearts and treachery in their souls. And they received their just rewards."

Bran: "Have I ever mentioned you can be downright frightening sometimes?"

Aleria: "I cannot be pleased that good triumphed over evil?"

Bran: "Heh. Nope."

I really like Aleria, especially when she lets her little fanatic streak show :)

"Cowled Wizards again?" Minsc exclaimed. "They are everywhere, winding sticky ropes of evil around the feet of all good heroes! Just thinking of them has Boo outraged!" He glanced at his shoulder, where the hamster in question was calmly nibbling a seed, and added, "It is a good thing that Boo does not think about the Cowled Wizards while he is busy eating."

You do one of the best Minsc's I've ever seen. :D

Thanks :D (I do steal a lot from the game dialogues, you know)

"We were trapped," he continued. "There was nothing to do but investigate the sphere. We worked our way through its many traps, and found a group of knights from another plane. Much like us, they had become trapped inside the sphere when it came to their world. They aided us as we fought our way onwards... there were many foul creatures from many worlds, including our own. Two Cowled Wizards had followed me within. They ambushed us, but we were stronger than them."

Don't forget the FERAL HALFLINGS! OF DOOM!

Valygar: Do not... remind me.

"The controls of the sphere were not hard to understand. Returning to Faerun was a simple matter. My companions and I left the sphere to the alien knights, so that they might find their way home again."

And back to Solamnia they go. ;)

Yes :)

One of the few plot-altering mods I've installed is the one that lets non-mages help them.

"So you just gave away the sphere," Edwin grumbled.

"There was nothing within that I wanted."

"Five hundred years of accumulated knowledge. The secrets of planar travel, of longevity, just tossed aside."

*snorts* Two men with DIFFERENT agendas.

An understatement, if ever I saw one.

"Some things are not worth learning. I would not expect you to understand, wizard," Valygar said, glaring at Edwin.

It's actually a point I somewhat agree with. Some things should not be discovered... or at least, it probably wasn't the best idea in the world.

Biological weapons for instance. Mustard gas. Haggis.

I'd try haggis if I had the opportunity.

Lutefisk, on the other hand...

"Young Anomen!" Yoshimo said. "Samurai of the west, roaming in service of god and lord. Tell us something of your adventures."

Ahh, the ol bait and switch. :D

Yoshimo is a man of diverse talents :)

"Very well. I shall tell you about the Order's campaign against the Hillgnasher giants... now, that brought the blood up!"

Huzzah! The Hillgnasher giants! :D

They gnash hills!

Imnesvale lay where the hills to the east met a dense, dark forest to the north, and was surrounded by several small farms. The village itself straddled a winding stream that came down from the moors. There were no distinct streets, and even though there was a single bridge, made from thick planks, it was not needed; as the group entered the village, Ember could make out at least two good wading sites. Most of the buildings were thatched with thick layers of straw, and their white-caulked walls seemed to glow in the strong afternoon sunlight. It would have fit anyone's imagination of a perfectly idyllic village if not for the flocks of sheep that milled around in makeshift pens beside several of the small houses, bleating plaintively as they trampled the grass beneath them into a muddy mess.

You really do nature descriptions amazingly well. :D

Thanks! :)

THE SHADE LORD?

Or perhaps something MORE FOUL?

Like... UNDERPANTS GNOMES?

It's probably not underpants gnomes, but who can say for sure?

"They are deserters from the Sythilisian armies," Valygar explained. "They came here a year ago, asking for peace. Now they guard the village border to the east. In return, they are allowed to stay near the village, and may come here to trade a few goods every now and then. Their leader Madulf is wise, for an ogre. I have spoken with him."

Good work V. :D

My Valygar has not been twiddling his thumbs in that cabin :)

"Everyone is so upset and frightened," Margie said. "People start thinking things are happening that aren't! Some blame poor Madulf and his band," she looked pointedly at her husband, "some think that Umar has returned... and our very own daughter spun a tale about shadows in the woods!" The woman said the last part with a light air, as if to show how dismissive she was of the very notion, but the spark of fear in her eyes told otherwise. Ember felt a pang of sympathy for the woman; she knew all too well what it was like to be hounded by an unknown enemy. It's no wonder at all that they're clinging to whatever rational explanations they can come up with.

Ember's deduction there is a good one. :D

She has had some experience with unpleasant discoveries of the supernatural kind, after all :)

"Inside out?" Ember repeated, aghast. She didn't know of any murderers that would tear people apart and steal their bodies later, but she did know of one that might do such things to his victims. "Has anyone else been found like that?"

Hidesman is about.

I'd decided to skip Fael long before I got to this part, but when I played through the village, the line about people being turned inside out stuck with me. So Rejiek got to make an impression on the village after all.

"Minsc remembers the evil skinner! His time will come, for Minsc will bring him it to him on a silver platter of righteousness!" Behind the giant ranger, Edwin groaned exasperatedly.

YES! Silver platter of righteousness for the WIN!

:D

"Do not worry! Minsc and Boo and friends will find them, and give them a swift kick in the evil! We will-"

Swift kick in the evil?

Almost straight from the in-game dialogue :D

Cel... you're making me nervous that I can't write Minsc with the way you're coming up aces with every line. :D

Just remember that I often just lift them from his dialogue file with minor modifications, and you'll feel better :lol:

Minsc slowly nodded. "Minsc does not like agreeing with the wizard, but it is as little Ember says. We must go where evil is in most need of a beating."

Wisdom again.

Every now and then, he has his moment in that department. Especially if one of his witches says it has to be so.

"My companions and I will do our best to expose the fiend behind the other murders," Valygar said. "We will follow Merella's trail tomorrow."

And then... it'll be time to kick ass and chew bubblegum.

And no one has gotten around to inventing bubblegum in Faerun yet. :D

I have problems imagining Valygar with bubblegum, you know :P

Great chapter, as was the last one Cel. :D

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com