Planar Escapades: Elibra's Tower

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:10 AM

Ezrai continued to lead them through the trees, and gradually, they stopped being rooms, and started being full of randomly growing trees, ferns, and rocks. Further in, the trees started becoming thinner and younger, not so numerous. Ghouls seemed to be lurking more often now, and Ezrai stopped to order them to sing or dance as she passed. Andi felt a bit odd hearing a ghoul attempt to sing a love ballad. To think the ghoul sounded like a frog gargling was to be generous, but she couldn't figure out what was one step worse. At last, the trees thinned out completely.

Elibra's tower was an unpolished gray, rough textured stone. Andi couldn't help but compare it to the fortress, granted, it was a much smaller, much different version of the fortress... everywhere the fortress was embellished, it was left plain- the stone was unpolished, the wood of the door was not carved, not filigreed in gold, no obvious magic anywhere. Over the door, in shadowed letters the size of dinner plates was the warning: "Penalty for trespassing will be death or worse." It was carved into the stone in common- not draconic, not Halruaan, not High or Low Netherese, not any ancient dialect at all. Plain common. Anyone who could read in this part of the world could read it.

Ezrai looked at Andi looking at it. "We're not trespassing, Aunt Andi, don't worry. I'll show you how to get through."

#2 Guest_IriaZenn_*

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

"So do you think the worse part is becoming a ghoul?" Anna dryly remarked as she stared at the warning. "Let's all hope that Elibra is not how I think she is." She shared a look with Andi.

#3 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:58 AM

Andi swallowed. "Well, I suppose she could have changed after having a daughter." Andi hoped. Andi wondered what Anna knew of Elibra. Gregan hadn't spent much time in the association with any of the other kids other than Jirend and Andi. Of course, there were just a few occasions in which he had been present with the other teachers.

Probably the only notable thing Gregan had seen of Elibra was her test. The other girls were notorious for showing off- Jashira Niree had mocked her Zhent prisoner for a full twenty minutes, then cast spells to make him do tricks before dire charming him to kill himself at her feet. Megeisha had used an empowered vortex of teeth to kill the dwarf berserker and added illusionary waves and dolphins to make it a true spectacle. Bethsuna had cast a stone fist spell that had allowed her to beat her prisoner- an orc barbarian- to a long, bloody death. By the time it got around for Elibra's test, everyone had gotten into the habit of watching.

Elibra had walked in. She'd been a fifteen year old with a tightly bound black bun, a well fitting black silk apprentice robe with the silver filigree buttons and calculating green eyes. What would be called plain on other girls would be called elegant on her. Her eyes had settled on the bleeding seven year old boy tied to the chair. Her eyes had shifted from him to her teacher, giving her teacher a long, studious gaze.

Then she had waved a hand, spoke a word and the boy fell dead, only held in place by the ropes that bound him.

"Is that all?" She had asked.

#4 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:14 AM

Benny looked at the tower with interest. He idly wondered how many visitors came casually calling... and if anyone made it out alive if they did.

"Don't worry," he said softly, "Vadrak and I will be prepared for anything. I believe I can speak for us both when I say we take the role of protector very seriously."

#5 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:02 PM

"You have to play a game to get through the tower. Some places you have to hop. Because you're tall, you'll have to duck in some doorways. I'm not allowed to fly in some areas, like doorways because of the slicy things." She said. "But let's play Ezrai says, k?" She said. She knew her way through, but trying to explain all the scything things and floor things...well, it would take too long. If they hopped when she said hop and ducked when she said duck, then she could get them through unscathed. She really hoped this visit cheered her mother up. Maybe having a nice new evil ghost to experiment with would cheer her up, maybe seeing her sister again would. Hopefully, she wasn't in a 'do not disturb me' mood. "But let me pop in and say hello to my mother before we enter her room, just in case she's in a bad mood." Ezrai said.

#6 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:00 AM

Andi tried not to think of all the razors and the wires and the bits of floor that looked just like every other bit of floor that had magical sensors on them. Half way through the tower, which seemed to be full of hopping and sidestepping and ducking, she turned to to Ezrai.

"Do you really have to come through all of this to come to bed at night?" She asked.

"No, but you guys can't fly like I can." She said.

"What about Elibra?" Andi asked. "Does she fly out too?"

"Mother never leaves the tower." She said, giving Andi a soulful look with deep golden eyes. "I don't even think she can anymore." She frowned.

Andi walked through the tower, preoccupied. She wondered how bad it could be. If even Andi's father knew that she had a skeletal hand, how close to dead was she in order for Ezrai to say that? Was she a vampire now? Would sunlight hurt her? Ezrai would have said...right?

"Aunt Andi!!" Ezrai's startled voice cut through her thoughts. Had the floor just clicked?

#7 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:31 AM

The tower seemed to be a complicated maze of traps. Benny was impressed at the skill and thought that had gone into the protection of the tower. He worried a little about Anna and Andi, but Ezrai guided them through effortlessly, and her warnings always came with perfect timing.

"Ezrai... do you really think your mother is going to be pleased to have guests?"

The words were barely out of his mouth when he heard a tell-tale click, that told him that one of them had triggered a trap. The floor!

Instinct taking over, he spun round and grabbed Andi, pulling her back against him as the ground separated, leaving a wide hole just where she had previously been standing.

"Careful..." he whispered in her ear. Then, suddenly realising that he had been holding her just a little too close, and a little tighter than necessary, he released her and stepped away.

Idly he found himself wondering what it would be like to kiss her. Quickly he brushed his thoughts aside, turning his attention back to Ezrai.

#8 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:02 AM

"Ezrai... do you really think your mother is going to be pleased to have guests?"

"Sure she will, as long as she's not in a really bad mood or in the middle of a big spell. That's why I want to go in first-"

A click. Ezrai's eyes widened, she looked for the slicy thing or the death to jump in front of or blast. After all, none of the slicy things were cold iron, they wouldn't hurt her nearly as bad as them. "Aunt Andi!" She yelped, when she realized who had triggered what. Andi couldn't fly. Benny spun around and grabbed her out of what was about to be a deadly fall.

"Careful..." he whispered in her ear. Then, he released her and stepped away. He turned back to Ezrai.

"Um, thank you for saving Aunt Andi, Benny." She smiled. "We're almost there." She said apologetically.

#9 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:50 AM

The full horror of the click had just registered in her mind when Benny turned around, grabbed her, and pulled her firmly against him. She hadn't even had time to flinch. The ground under where she had been had dropped away. Her heart pounded in her throat. Her inattention had nearly killed her. But the fear of falling to her death was nothing compared to the fear of someone who could grab her off her feet so fast. Years of experience told her that physical pain was seconds away.

"Careful..." Benny whispered in her ear.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" She blurted out quickly. Her heartbeat seemed to have dropped back down to her chest, but was only slowing slightly. She caught her breath, slowly realizing that a string of her obvious insufficiencies had not followed. But he was holding her tightly, probably giving her a moment to consider how close a call that was. He could easily point it out in very sharp language, but didn't seem inclined to do so.

Then he released her and stepped away. He must know that she fully realized that what she'd just done was very foolish and had nearly killed her. And hopefully, that she was very very sorry. And she was, and she knew she had really good reason to be.

What if it had been a bigger, less personal trap? What if it had been a fireball? What if it had been something from the ceiling? All she had to do was pay attention in a maze of death traps and keep playing 'Ezrai says' with the others. Worrying about her sister could wait until she knew what she was worrying about...right?

Benny turned back to Ezrai. Andi felt silently thankful. Not only that he'd saved her, but that he hadn't been furious with her or insulted her at all.

"Um, thank you for saving Aunt Andi, Benny." Ezrai smiled. "We're almost there." Ezrai said apologetically.

Andi locked her mind on the moment.

#10 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:13 AM

"Um, thank you for saving Aunt Andi, Benny." Ezrai smiled. "We're almost there." Ezrai said apologetically.

"There's no need to thank me," Benny said lightly, keeping his eyes on the path ahead. "I am only doing my job... it's what I'm here for. You need not worry about your aunt while I'm around, Ezrai. I'll do my very best to see that we get back to you in one piece."

He glanced at Andi, and noticed that she seemed worried. Lightly touching her arm, he gave her a small smile. "That was a close call. Are you all right? Don't worry, it happens... and there's no harm done."

#11 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:58 AM

"There's no need to thank me," Benny said lightly, keeping his eyes on the path ahead. "I am only doing my job... it's what I'm here for. You need not worry about your aunt while I'm around, Ezrai. I'll do my very best to see that we get back to you in one piece." Andi thought about this. Well, yes, he had agreed to protect the group, and she supposed that included her too.

He glanced at Andi, and noticed her thoughtful frown. Lightly touching her arm, he gave her a small smile. "That was a close call. Are you all right? Don't worry, it happens... and there's no harm done."

"I'm alright." She said, cheeks growing pink in her embarrassment. "Thanks, er, for, um, not being angry." She smiled apologetically. Sorry that you had to touch me. She thought in the privacy of her own head. Thanks for not dumping me on the ground the moment you realized who you'd grabbed. She tried making sure that no matter what she was trying to say or think, she was paying attention to when she had to duck or jump or step sideways and doing so. I'm so glad you agreed to be hired. She thought. But it would have been too weird a thing to say. "I'll try to not make you work too hard." She managed, but after she said it, she thought she must be an idiot for doing so.

#12 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:06 AM

"Now why would I be angry?" Benny asked, slightly amused but trying not to show it. "I should think that very few people could navigate this place without slipping up at least once. Your sister certainly didn't mean for people to just wander in."

Something swept past his head, but he had expected it and dodged it skilfully. "I am no stranger to hard work, I can assure you. Besides, I enjoy this."

#13 Guest_IriaZenn_*

Posted 25 September 2007 - 11:33 AM

"Yeah, Andi I bet he really enjoys this." Anna snarked as she followed them slowly. She had to be extra careful as she was walking for two. "This better be worth, that's all I'm saying." Anna muttered darkly.

#14 Laufey

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:44 PM

"It is enjoyable, after a fashion," Dekaras said in a slightly absent voice. Most of his attention was focused on scanning the floor, walls and ceiling, searching for the minute signs that would warn him of a trap. "It is a contest of skill, us against the builder." Then he thought of something else. "I expect there will be magical traps as well. I think I should be able to spot those, but disarming them will be somewhat more complicated."

Then he turned briefly to Anna. "As for the worth of the mission, if it removes the threat against you and your child, I will consider it well worth it."
Rogues do it from behind.

#15 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:57 PM

"Now why would I be angry?" Benny asked, and he didn't sound angry. "I should think that very few people could navigate this place without slipping up at least once. Your sister certainly didn't mean for people to just wander in."

"Yes, that is quite clear." Andi said, trying to keep her mind from worrying about her sister, both as a person and as a seriously powerful necromancer who might kill them. But she remembered how frightening that attack from the wizards and the paladins had been. Elibra was Jirend's age, and she'd lost her twin in the attack, and when he came back, they hadn't gotten along anymore. Andi had lost Jirend ten years ago, Elibra had lost him twenty three years ago. Having a group of villagers almost kill her daughter had perhaps angered her. "Though honestly, our family tends to inspire the sort of visitors that are on a mission to kill us."

Something swept past Benny's head, but he dodged it skilfully. "I am no stranger to hard work, I can assure you. Besides, I enjoy this."

Andi smiled. She supposed it was a puzzle of a sort. Andi didn't know anything about what kind of things went into the traps, but her sister had certainly included a variety, and something that looked like a normal room was in fact peppered with wrong steps.

"Yeah, Andi I bet he really enjoys this." Anna snarked as she followed them slowly. She had to be extra careful as she was walking for two. "This better be worth, that's all I'm saying." Anna muttered darkly.

Andi remembered Jaxon's smile. If it wasn't worth it, she didn't know what was.

"It is enjoyable, after a fashion," Dekaras said in a slightly absent voice. "It is a contest of skill, us against the builder." Then he thought of something else. "I expect there will be magical traps as well. I think I should be able to spot those, but disarming them will be somewhat more complicated."

Ezrai turned back. "I'm taking you guys the safe way." She objected. "I can't disarm magic traps so I'm taking you the way I can go." She said. "We're almost there."

Then he turned briefly to Anna. "As for the worth of the mission, if it removes the threat against you and your child, I will consider it well worth it."

Andi had to agree with this. "Being that your...undead visitor has threatened you, Edwin and your child, I'm going to have to say that even if Elibra tears my arm off and beats me with it, it's still worth it to get rid of...the ghost." She had to fight to keep the wave of bitter hatred from showing up. What was it worth to be able to not wake up not knowing what your body had been used for? What would it be worth to keep a third party from using you to hurt people you care about? But Anna had only recently come to know she was being used that way. She probably didn't realize the full implications of the ghost's presence in her.

"Mother won't do that!" Ezrai protested.

"Yes, she is the least likely to do that." Andi said. Elibra wasn't the beating type. She thought the others as overly showy. "I'm just trying to express that I really think it's worth it." She said.

"Well, of course it is." Ezrai said. "What's so hard about this?" It occurred to Andi that this trap filled tower was her niece's home. Anything could be normal to a child. Ezrai was used to undead, she didn't like them much, but they were just things that her mother made to protect her. Like putting on a protective necklace for a nice deep acid bath. Like putting on protective spells to go play in the swamp and closing the mouths of crocodiles if they came too close with a vine and a rope control spell. Ezrai thought nothing about going in or out of the traps to get to her friends in the forest, so she could go play.

Andi wanted to think about that more, but she watched and listened to the list of when she needed to hop and when she needed to duck. Benny may be having fun, though it was really hard to tell, but she didn't want to set off another trap.

Finally, Ezrai lead them to a circular stone floor that turned into a tube. In other towers, this would be a stairway with stairs all the way around the inside. Instead, it was smooth wall, indicating that no stairs were needed. There was a landing about one hundred feet straight up, and nothing in between.

"I'll be right back." Ezrai zipped flew upward for a streak of about eighty feet, then a flash of blue erupted around her, indicating a dispelling trap.

She fell for a second, about ten feet, then flashed a hand gesture and her fey magic seemed to take back over, she flew the rest of the way. Andi had to admire that. The situation meant that any wizard that just used their only fly spell was dead. Those who had another one memorized had to have the concentration to cast it when they were falling to their death- and didn't have long to pull that off. The entire area was also warded against the feather fall effect- the most common rescue contingency. Ezrai came down with a simple magical rod. Andi watched the girl wave the rod and finish the spell with the draconic word for 'upwards'. When the spell was complete, it was a flying disk. "Ezrai says step onto the disk so we can go up." She said, smiling. Andi nodded and stepped onto it. The fact that a disk had been provided meant that Elibra wasn't completely against bringing visitors in- she'd given Ezrai a way to do so, but only Ezrai or someone who knew what to expect and came prepared would be able to fly, have their flying targeted and dispelled and get the rod, then it took someone who knew how to finish casting the spell from the rod. It was one bright ray of hope in the despair she was starting to feel.

Even all of these traps wouldn't protect Elibra from her parents, should they decide to come visit, but she seemed to have that protection covered by reporting in the bare minimum information from time to time. Elibra was an island- she'd cut all ties to her family except the minimum to keep them from getting curious. Some part of Andi admired this.

#16 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:00 AM

At the top of the landing, Ezrai led them through a few more rooms and paused in a particularly narrow hallway.

"Um, Ezrai says stay here for a moment while she goes and tells all the ghouls to go away." She cast an embarrassed smile back at Benny and the others. She floated off down the hall, raven feather cloak billowing around behind her. Andi was happy there were no more ducking traps down that hallway, but looked at how narrow it was with a sense of dread.

Andi sighed. "Everyone okay? Of my sisters, she is the most reasonable." She said. "But again, whatever happens, please don't try to kill my sister unless she tries to kill you. I didn't mean to put you guys in danger, only, well, we're in danger either way, really." Andi said, starting to doubt herself. She twisted her sleeve in worry.

She wondered what she could possibly say to Elibra.

'hi, I've got a problem, can you help me?' No. 'Father's got me on a mission, something about saving reality from unraveling'

It might be ridiculous enough to get her most serious sister to laugh. And she would probably have to say something, as Elibra could pause until a person couldn't even think for the thickness of the silence.

#17 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:23 AM

Andi sighed. "Everyone okay? Of my sisters, she is the most reasonable." She said. "But again, whatever happens, please don't try to kill my sister unless she tries to kill you. I didn't mean to put you guys in danger, only, well, we're in danger either way, really."

"Andi, of course none of us are going to attack your sister." Benny said patiently, giving her a quick smile. "Even if she tried to attack, I would attempt to merely restrain her before anything else. Attempting to kill her would be the very, very last resort, right Vadrak?"

#18 Laufey

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:09 PM

"Andi, of course none of us are going to attack your sister." Benny said patiently, giving her a quick smile. "Even if she tried to attack, I would attempt to merely restrain her before anything else. Attempting to kill her would be the very, very last resort, right Vadrak?"

"Certainly," Dekaras said to Benny, nodding. "She is Andi's sister, after all. We will avoid provoking her as much as possible, and if she should choose to attack us, we will do what we can to subdue her without causing permanent harm. I am certain both you and I have several possibilites open to us there."
Rogues do it from behind.

#19 Guest_IriaZenn_*

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:56 PM

Anna went to comment when her face distorted in pain. The Jester came out in full effect. "My my my. Such a high place. It would surely kill the Bhaalspawn. Which would make everything usless that you're trying to do." She laughed as she walked towards the edge.

"You think I'll let another filthly little thing like that child touch ME!?" She laughed as she started to let her voice rise in a song as she slowly backed up towards the edge. Her song tore at the ears of the companions. No one would stop her.

#20 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:16 PM

Andi smiled in mild relief when both Benny and Dekaras voiced that there were other options besides trying to kill her sister, even if Elibra had a negative reaction to them.

And then she heard Jaxon's voice, it cut through her like ice water in her heart. She shot Anna a horrified- disbelieving look. And the second wave of feeling washed over her. She hated the Jester. The taste of malice she'd had before returned, and she stared hard at Jaxon.

"You." She said. She couldn't lay a hand on the jester, and she had no magic that could touch her without touching Anna- should the jester leave the safety of her host, however, Andi could destroy her. It wasn't worth losing Anna for, but she really wanted to shred Jaxon. Badly. "Do you think you'll escape by killing Anna in my sisters tower?" She asked bitterly. "Do you really think becoming a raw ghost in my sister's tower is a great idea? I mean, if I bring you encased in Anna I still have to try to talk my sister into helping, but should you go wandering in the tower- then you're hers by default." She said, walking towards the jester. "And all you have to do is open your mouth and I won't even have to ask my sister to do anything to you. Oh, and this can be said for Elibra, she's usually mercifully quick unless you piss her off."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com