Ember's Tale 75: Without a Trace

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:58 PM

Chapter 75: Without a Trace

Imoen was gone.

The robed men who'd shouted about an illegal magical disturbance had vanished, taking both Irenicus and Imoen with them. Imoen had been part of the disturbance, they'd said, and then they had dragged her through a dimension door before Ember could make a single move to stop them.

"No! This cannot be!" Minsc roared.

Ember fell to her knees on a pile of rubble. They were surrounded by broken bricks and shattered beams; it looked like an entire building had collapsed around them. "Who... who were they?" she asked helplessly.

"Cowled Wizards, I believe," Yoshimo said quietly.

Ember recalled Yoshimo mentioning the Cowled Wizards of Athkatla. He had told them about how this group of mages regulated all use of arcane magic in the city, requiring every spellcaster to buy an expensive license from them, thus filling their own coffers. "You didn't tell us they might take her!" she shouted.

"I did not know they might do that. I am sorry."

"It was only one spell," Ember mumbled to herself. A single white brick lay in a small puddle in front of her. She couldn't stop looking at it.

"We must find little Imoen and bring her back!" Minsc cried. "All that is goodness cries out for this! Even little Boo, although he cannot cry out quite so loudly." The giant ranger sniffled and wiped his eyes.

"We will, my friend," Yoshimo said, patting Minsc's arm. "Ember, as I told you, I have considerable skill and expertise when it comes to such matters. I would be honoured to assist you in reclaiming young Imoen."

"Thank you," she muttered, still staring at the puddle. Imoen's bundle of scrolls lay beside it, abandoned. One of the scrolls had mud stains along its edge.

"This will not do," Yoshimo muttered. "Come, good Minsc, and help me get her up. We should not stay here."

Ember didn't protest as the two men lifted her to her feet. She watched wordlessly as Yoshimo sold a couple of Imoen's spellscrolls at a booth, then let herself be taken to a nearby inn Yoshimo knew about, a place called the Seven Vales. The female proprietor was surly towards Minsc and Yoshimo, but treated Ember kindly. After a few minutes' haggling between the innkeeper and Yoshimo, Ember was shown to a small room with a tub of hot water, soap, and towels. She took off her ragged clothes, got in the tub, and mechanically scrubbed dirt and filth from her skin. As she toweled herself dry, a maid brought a set of new clothes, made from plain brown cloth but whole and clean. She put them on. A simple pair of boots that didn't fit too badly awaited outside the bath chamber.

Minsc and Yoshimo were in the inn's dining room, sitting at a small table with a fresh loaf of bread and three bowls of stew between them. Minsc was wearing brown clothes similar to Ember's; he had shaved off his hair and beard, revealing his familiar face and a couple new scars. Ember joined them at the table and cut herself a slice from the bread.

The bread was still warm, and very soft. She pulled a small piece from her slice and put it in her mouth. Closing her eyes and chewing very slowly, Ember let herself savour every aspect of its texture and smell and flavour. It was the best thing she had ever tasted.

It's just the kind of bread Imoen loves, especially when it's still warm and has a pat of butter on it...

She burst into tears.

---

The small group spent the following morning waiting in line at the Council of Six building, the seat of the Athkatlan government. It was a confusing place; guards and clerks pointedly ignored them, and at least twice, Ember noticed the clerks letting some wealthier looking people jump the lines. She commented on this to Yoshimo, who reminded her that money ruled the City of Coin.

After two hours of standing behind a halfling farmer whose farm had been listed and taxed as a castle, a dour-faced official informed Ember that she had been standing in the wrong line; she needed to present her problem directly to the magistrate, Bylanna Lanulin, and not waste his valuable time with matters that had nothing to do with estates or taxes. She bit back a rude response and led Minsc and Yoshimo towards a much shorter line in front of the magistrate's office. A few minutes later, an armoured guard let them in.

The magistrate was a formidable looking woman in her early fourties. She sat behind a massive oak desk, surrounded by a small army of clerks and scribes. "Good business to you," she greeted them, not unpleasantly, and gestured for them to sit down on a bench in front of her desk. "Is there aught that I can help you with?"

"A friend of mine, Imoen, was taken captive by the Cowled Wizards," Ember said. "Is there anything I can do to free her?"

"When did this take place?"

"Yesterday afternoon."

"Jenthly, would you...? Ah, thank you," the magistrate said as one of her clerks handed her a folder. She quickly leafed through it and pulled out a document. "You said her name was Imoen, correct?" Ember nodded.

"I see. It appears your friend used magic within the city limits. You are aware that this is a violation of Amnish law? We do not allow magic-users to go unchecked."

"But-" Ember started. The magistrate raised her hand.

"My good woman, did you not see the result of your friend's battle in the Promenade? An entire section collapsed!"

"But Imoen didn't do that!" Ember protested. "That was another wizard! We got there at the end of the battle, and all she did was cast one single spell, to defend herself from him!"

"Little Imoen is not an evil sorceress!" Minsc added.

"Another wizard or your Imoen, it matters not. She used magic... the Cowled Wizards cannot stop to sort out who was directly responsible for the damage. But if she is a good and responsible user of her abilities, then I imagine that her rehabilitation would... not take long," the magistrate said.

"Rehabilitation?" Ember asked incredulously. "For what? For casting one single spell without a license?"

"Calm yourself," the magistrate said. "I will not lie to you; normally, we do not concern ourselves overmuch with the prisoners the wizards take. For the most part, these magic-users they capture are dangerous or psychotic; protecting us from these people is a valuable service. If... if they have taken someone out of zealousness, because she was a mage present at a major magical disturbance... I can do nothing. Hopefully, the Cowled Wizards will see their error and release your friend."

"They took her because Irenicus told them to," Ember said bitterly. "He said he'd yield if they took her, so they did."

The magistrate frowned. "I am truly sorry, but there is nothing that we can do. The Cowled Wizards are not under our command. They're not an official arm of our government and not subject to normal legal procedure."

"This is outrageous!" Minsc bellowed. "The boots of justice cannot work if they are not on the feet of righteousness!" The magistrate gave him a strange look, but said nothing.

"Is there nothing that can be done?" Ember asked. "Is there no way I can speak directly to the Cowled Wizards?"

"Again, I am sorry."

"Can you at least tell me where she has been imprisoned?"

"I cannot tell you where the prison is, for I do not know. Its location is a secret, even to us, as are their methods."

"I see," Ember growled. "Thank you for your time." Without waiting for a response, she stood up and headed for the door.

---

"Now what?" Ember muttered as they walked away from the government district. Tears were running down her cheeks; she barely noticed them.

"There are other channels of information," Yoshimo said, "and I have many contacts in the city. If we were to ask the right people for aid, I am certain we could learn more about Imoen's whereabouts."

"Did you hear that, Boo?" Minsc told his hamster. "Maybe we can save little Imoen after all!"

"How soon can we meet them?" Ember asked.

"Ah, I could talk with them this very afternoon, but I am afraid I must go alone," Yoshimo said. "Some of my contacts are... shy."

Ember nodded. "As long as they can actually help, I don't care who they are."

"I am glad to hear that! Personally, I have found that a flexible attitude towards others always helps." Yoshimo grinned. "Now, you can find your way back to the Seven Vales, yes?"

"Yes. The Promenade is up that street and to the right, isn't it?"

"Very good! I must excuse myself for the present, but I will meet you there before long." Yoshimo gave a deep, theatrical bow, and vanished down a narrow alley. Ember exchanged glances with a confused looking Minsc, shrugged, and started walking back to the inn.

True to his word, the Kara-Turan returned to the Seven Vales less than two hours later. "The wheels are in motion, my friends!" he announced. "My contact has agreed to present the matter to his... superior, and we should have a reply within a few days!"

"And if they cannot or will not help?" Ember asked.

"If that should happen, I will approach others," Yoshimo said, "but I have faith in this group."

"I suppose we'll get their answer soon enough." Wherever Imoen was, Ember had the feeling it'd be more than a day's work to get her out. She'd have to try her best to be patient; both she and Minsc needed to rebuild their strength, there were supplies to be acquired, money to be made...

She reached into a pocket and touched the three magical acorns that the captive dryads had given her. Imoen's not the only prisoner here. And with the dryads, the path is clear enough.

"Yoshimo," she asked, "do you know how to get to the Windspear Hills?"

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

Ember fell to her knees on a pile of rubble. They were surrounded by broken bricks and shattered beams; it looked like an entire building had collapsed around them. "Who... who were they?" she asked helplessly.

Poor Ember, she is left with only Minsc to rely on, and well, Yoshimo she doesn’t know well at all.

"We must find little Imoen and bring her back!" Minsc cried. "All that is goodness cries out for this! Even little Boo, although he cannot cry out quite so loudly." The giant ranger sniffled and wiped his eyes.

We’ll get her back… but let’s shave first. :twisted:

Minsc and Yoshimo were in the inn's dining room, sitting at a small table with a fresh loaf of bread and three bowls of stew between them. Minsc was wearing brown clothes similar to Ember's; he had shaved off his hair and beard, revealing his familiar face and a couple new scars.

Yay! Not at the scars, of course. :shock:

It's just the kind of bread Imoen loves, especially when it's still warm and has a pat of butter on it...

She burst into tears.

Awww… :)

After two hours of standing behind a halfling farmer whose farm had been listed and taxed as a castle, a dour-faced official informed Ember that she had been standing in the wrong line; she needed to present her problem directly to the magistrate, Bylanna Lanulin, and not waste his valuable time with matters that had nothing to do with estates or taxes. She bit back a rude response and led Minsc and Yoshimo towards a much shorter line in front of the magistrate's office. A few minutes later, an armoured guard let them in.

Bureaucracy. About as enjoyable as foot fungus.

"I see. It appears your friend used magic within the city limits. You are aware that this is a violation of Amnish law? We do not allow magic-users to go unchecked."

Strange how when you do that later, first time offense only merited a warning.

"Calm yourself," the magistrate said. "I will not lie to you; normally, we do not concern ourselves overmuch with the prisoners the wizards take. For the most part, these magic-users they capture are dangerous or psychotic; protecting us from these people is a valuable service. If... if they have taken someone out of zealousness, because she was a mage present at a major magical disturbance... I can do nothing. Hopefully, the Cowled Wizards will see their error and release your friend."

Don’t think she really believes that herself… also, I got the feeling that the magistrate really, really hated her job. :)

"This is outrageous!" Minsc bellowed. "The boots of justice cannot work if they are not on the feet of righteousness!" The magistrate gave him a strange look, but said nothing.

Very succinctly put. :D You can plainly see she hates the situation as well.

"Ah, I could talk with them this very afternoon, but I am afraid I must go alone," Yoshimo said. "Some of my contacts are... shy."

And some also want to kill you? :roll:

"I suppose we'll get their answer soon enough." Wherever Imoen was, Ember had the feeling it'd be more than a day's work to get her out. She'd have to try her best to be patient; both she and Minsc needed to rebuild their strength, there were supplies to be acquired, money to be made...

What, no Gaelan Bayle and his world famous… Coo!! Oh well. :lol:

She reached into a pocket and touched the three magical acorns that the captive dryads had given her. Imoen's not the only prisoner here. And with the dryads, the path is clear enough.

No, no, no, you’re not supposed to start with that quest, it’s much too hard! :lol:

With no one else to rely on, Yoshimo is going to have a pretty easy time earning her trust, it seems…

#3 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:10 PM

Ember didn't protest as the two men lifted her to her feet. She watched wordlessly as Yoshimo sold a couple of Imoen's spellscrolls at a booth, then let herself be taken to a nearby inn Yoshimo knew about, a place called the Seven Vales. The female proprietor was surly towards Minsc and Yoshimo, but treated Ember kindly. After a few minutes' haggling between the innkeeper and Yoshimo, Ember was shown to a small room with a tub of hot water, soap, and towels. She took off her ragged clothes, got in the tub, and mechanically scrubbed dirt and filth from her skin. As she toweled herself dry, a maid brought a set of new clothes, made from plain brown cloth but whole and clean. She put them on. A simple pair of boots that didn't fit too badly awaited outside the bath chamber.

That must be nice...

She burst into tears.

:twisted:

The wonderful bureaucracy of Amn!

Oh yeah... that is going to happen...

"Now what?" Ember muttered as they walked away from the government district. Tears were running down her cheeks; she barely noticed them.

"There are other channels of information," Yoshimo said, "and I have many contacts in the city. If we were to ask the right people for aid, I am certain we could learn more about Imoen's whereabouts."

"Did you hear that, Boo?" Minsc told his hamster. "Maybe we can save little Imoen after all!"

"How soon can we meet them?" Ember asked.

Heh... Shy... That is a way to put it! At least they may be able to help!

But Ember.. There be dragons in them hills!!! It is a tough quest...

#4 Guest_Ananke_*

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:41 PM

Imoen was gone.

:lol:

"It was only one spell," Ember whispered to a single brick of white clay that lay in a small, muddly puddle in front of her.

Ah. Angst.
(Please don't beat me, but I read this sentence and laughed. Cel, it's atrocious! It's atrocious even with the continuation several lines later. It's almost as atrocious as some of my stuff, but I've come to expect much better from you. The 'muddly puddle' is an especially great touch in the melodrama department. Can't it really be 'muddy'?)

Now, this is the good kind of angst.

"We will, my friend," Yoshimo said, patting Minsc's arm. "Ember, as I told you, I have considerable skill and expertise when it comes to such matters. I would be honoured to assist you in reclaiming young Imoen."

Oh. So that's how he's staying. :shock:

"Thank you," she whispered, still staring at the puddle. Imoen's bundle of scrolls lay beside it, abandoned. One of the scrolls had mud stains along one edge.

And again with the high, decorous, Gothic-novel whisper...?

Oh, darn. I'm sorry... Obviously, you're going for atmosphere here, and I'm spoiling it. :lol:

The bread was still warm, and very soft. She pulled a small piece from her slice and put it in her mouth. Closing her eyes and chewing very slowly, Ember let herself savour every aspect of its texture and smell and flavour. It was the best thing she had ever tasted.

The whole description was great, and very sad. :)

The small group spent the following morning waiting in line at the Council of Six building, the seat of the Athkatlan government. It was a confusing place; guards and clerks pointedly ignored them, and at least twice, Ember noticed the clerks letting some wealthier looking people jump the lines. She commented on this to Yoshimo, who reminded her that money ruled the City of Coin.

Ah. The official route first...

"I see," Ember growled. "Thank you for your time." Without waiting for a response, she stood up and headed for the door.

...too bad it didn't work. But Ember's... feral. :twisted:

Oooh... Whether he means the Thieves or Bodhi, I wonder.

Of course, given that Bodhi wouldn't have been present in the city at the time he would have been captured, had he been captured... My money's on the Thieves.

...party members to be met...

Yoshimo: No.

(I won't snip, but I liked the last part. It was efficient, and effective, and everyone was in character. :roll: )

#5 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:58 PM

Poor Ember, she is left with only Minsc to rely on, and well, Yoshimo she doesn’t know well at all.

But she has no reason to suspect him of foul play, you know.

We’ll get her back… but let’s shave first. :shock:

Don't worry, I have that covered :D

Minsc and Yoshimo were in the inn's dining room, sitting at a small table with a fresh loaf of bread and three bowls of stew between them. Minsc was wearing brown clothes similar to Ember's; he had shaved off his hair and beard, revealing his familiar face and a couple new scars.

Yay! Not at the scars, of course. :roll:

Well, they're on his updated portrait, so... :)

She burst into tears.

Awww… :D

(I still remember crying my eyes out at the sight of dog food in the refrigerator after our dog died :D )

Bureaucracy. About as enjoyable as foot fungus.

No kidding. I am glad I don't have to deal with it more than I do.

Strange how when you do that later, first time offense only merited a warning.

The warning is more realistic; it lets them shovel in more license fees. However, if you talk to some NPCs they'll mention others that were taken without warning, so it's pretty obvious that they really do Do Exactly What They Want.

Don’t think she really believes that herself… also, I got the feeling that the magistrate really, really hated her job. :D

This particular segment of it, at least. I imagine it's easy to imagine the Cowlies are working as intended when they're not told about the problems :P

Very succinctly put. :D You can plainly see she hates the situation as well.

No kidding! She's one of the higher representatives of the government, she is represented with a clearly unjust case, and she cannot do a thing because the matter is out of her jurisdiction.

And some also want to kill you? :lol:

Perhaps :D

What, no Gaelan Bayle and his world famous… Coo!! Oh well. :lol:

The story is young :twisted:

No, no, no, you’re not supposed to start with that quest, it’s much too hard! :)

Well, I'm not starting with THAT quest, they're just going to a different part of the Hills. Game storyline doesn't necessarily equate story storyline, after all, and Ember is not about to let three dryads suffer while she waits to be hired by a snooty baron :D

With no one else to rely on, Yoshimo is going to have a pretty easy time earning her trust, it seems…

Yes. And why shouldn't he?

#6 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

That must be nice...

Yeah, but she's not really noticing it.

She burst into tears.

:twisted:

:roll:

The wonderful bureaucracy of Amn!

I wonder how the Thayvian bureaucracy compares...

Oh yeah... that is going to happen...

Well, there's not really much else she can say, is there?

Heh... Shy... That is a way to put it! At least they may be able to help!

For the right price, yes :shock:

But Ember.. There be dragons in them hills!!! It is a tough quest...

Don't worry, she hasn't picked up that quest quite yet :lol:

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

"It was only one spell," Ember whispered to a single brick of white clay that lay in a small, muddly puddle in front of her.

Ah. Angst.
(Please don't beat me, but I read this sentence and laughed. Cel, it's atrocious! It's atrocious even with the continuation several lines later. It's almost as atrocious as some of my stuff, but I've come to expect much better from you. The 'muddly puddle' is an especially great touch in the melodrama department. Can't it really be 'muddy'?)

No, it must be muddly, for the added impact!

(I'll change it :P )

Now, this is the good kind of angst.

Oh. So that's how he's staying. :shock:

Yep. Lack of suspicion or no, he has to have a reason just like everyone else.

"Thank you," she whispered, still staring at the puddle. Imoen's bundle of scrolls lay beside it, abandoned. One of the scrolls had mud stains along one edge.

And again with the high, decorous, Gothic-novel whisper...?

Oh, darn. I'm sorry... Obviously, you're going for atmosphere here, and I'm spoiling it. :)

Letting me know when it's a bit too thick isn't spoiling it, you know :D

The whole description was great, and very sad. :)

This is the one I wanted to have the most impact (obviously) :D

Ah. The official route first...

Ember's not the type to go seeking out thieves and such before trying the proper path, you know.

...too bad it didn't work. But Ember's... feral. :twisted:

At least she's not growing fangs :D (And no, she's not really noticing that the magistrate is as sincere as it's possible for a person in her position to be)

Oooh... Whether he means the Thieves or Bodhi, I wonder.

Of course, given that Bodhi wouldn't have been present in the city at the time he would have been captured, had he been captured... My money's on the Thieves.

I actually gave that matter some thought last night, and I know the logic behind the one he'll pick. Whether or not I'll ever mention it in the story remains to be seen - for all I know, I'll end up forgetting all about it :D

...party members to be met...

One more chapter to go before that happens, I think. (I wish these chapters would be less of a hassle to write, as I feel a little like I am stuck in a swamp at the moment)

Yoshimo: No.

Ember: Fine. *goes and asks directions from someone else*

(I won't snip, but I liked the last part. It was efficient, and effective, and everyone was in character. :roll: )

#8 Guest_CrazeeFfan_*

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

Imoen was gone.

Worst part of the game :roll:

Brick: There, there Ember. I'd help if I were able, but alas, I am but a simple brick.

That was what the brick was thinking ... right?

Real honourable, jackass! Nah, I happen to love Yoshimo. He's such a nice person, and his fate always makes me sad :shock:

"This will not do," Yoshimo muttered. "Come, good Minsc, and help me get her up. We should not stay here."

Without Jaheira, Yoshimo is left to be the practical one. I must say, I'm starting to dread what might happen without our pragmatic druid.

Minsc and Yoshimo were in the inn's dining room, sitting at a small table with a fresh loaf of bread and three bowls of stew between them. Minsc was wearing brown clothes similar to Ember's; he had shaved off his hair and beard, revealing his familiar face and a couple new scars. Ember joined them at the table and cut herself a slice from the bread.

*lets out sigh of relief* All is right again. Apart from Immy being missing, of course.

*drools* Sounds much better than the cardboard bread-replica I eat.

This bit made me laugh, I'm afraid, probably inappropriately. It was one of those moments. I imagined you writing -

'Ember walked along the cobbled path, her eyes glued to the floor. "Imoen loved walking and cobbled paths!" she wailed, wiping away a stray tear. It seemed everything reminded her of the sprightly rogue.'

I always imagined Minsc hating this bit. He's not the type to stand in queues patiently for long.

Ha! That's about as likely as Minsc deciding to eat Boo.

A classic Minsc line. Bravo!

:twisted: Stupid betraying Yoshi...

"If that should happen, I will approach others," Yoshimo said, "but I have faith in this group."

You wily fox, you! Is it the vampires? Is the Shadow Thieves? We'll have to read on and see!

Ranger moment! Yay! :lol:

... Dragon fight? Or is it just going to be a quick "Fre the Dryad" mission, conveniently missing the ogres and monsters? I have to say, their chances against Big Ol' Red are a *little* slim.

#9 Guest_Ananke_*

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:00 AM

Can't it really be 'muddy'?)

The addled impact, you mean? :twisted:

#10 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:17 PM

At least they've got someone who knows the area, at least a little. If they can't have Jaheira and all. :lol:

No worries Minsc, she'll be right. Eventually.

She burst into tears.

D'aww. :P

I hope she doesn't do that every time she sees a thief, though... it's gonna be an especially tough adeventure, then. :cry:

At least they didn't have to wait for hours again. Damn miracle, that is.

"Another wizard or your Imoen, it matters not. She used magic... the Cowled Wizards cannot stop to sort out who was directly responsible for the damage. But if she is a good and responsible user of her abilities, then I imagine that her rehabilitation would... not take long," the magistrate said.

Hah! Right.

In other words, they should post a sign at the gate that reads "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

At least she seems vaguely sorry that she can't do anything for them.

So is your Yoshi gonna be the nice kind or the kind that turns out to be an utter bastard? I'm hoping for nice, myself. :roll:

*shakes Yoshi by the collar* Which one? Which one??

...ahem. Sorry 'bout that.

Just don't kill any ogres on the way and you'll be fine.

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:31 PM

Imoen was gone.

Worst part of the game ;)

Tied with Spellhold ;)

Brick: There, there Ember. I'd help if I were able, but alas, I am but a simple brick.

That was what the brick was thinking ... right?

If the brick could think, sure :roll:

Real honourable, jackass! Nah, I happen to love Yoshimo. He's such a nice person, and his fate always makes me sad :P

Yeah, he's one of my favourite characters. It'd be much harder to have him come along if he weren't such a nice guy.

Without Jaheira, Yoshimo is left to be the practical one. I must say, I'm starting to dread what might happen without our pragmatic druid.

She's not my pragmatic druid ;) (I belong to the minority who can barely stand Jaheira on a good day)

*drools* Sounds much better than the cardboard bread-replica I eat.

I used to eat that kind of bread. Now I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot cattle prod.

This bit made me laugh, I'm afraid, probably inappropriately. It was one of those moments. I imagined you writing -

'Ember walked along the cobbled path, her eyes glued to the floor. "Imoen loved walking and cobbled paths!" she wailed, wiping away a stray tear. It seemed everything reminded her of the sprightly rogue.'

:)

I weeded out some of the earlier unintentional angst, so it should be less overblown now.

I always imagined Minsc hating this bit. He's not the type to stand in queues patiently for long.

Absolutely. If he didn't have Boo to remind him to wait patiently, who knows what would have happened?

A classic Minsc line. Bravo!

Ranger moment! Yay! ;)

Rangers don't have a monopoly on naturesy classes, you know :cry:

... Dragon fight? Or is it just going to be a quick "Fre the Dryad" mission, conveniently missing the ogres and monsters? I have to say, their chances against Big Ol' Red are a *little* slim.

I'm not that crazy.

#12 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

Can't it really be 'muddy'?)

The addled impact, you mean? :P

:cry:

#13 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

At least they've got someone who knows the area, at least a little. If they can't have Jaheira and all. ;)

Hey, my Jaheira gets to keep Khalid :P

She burst into tears.

D'aww. ;)

;)

I hope she doesn't do that every time she sees a thief, though... it's gonna be an especially tough adeventure, then. :cry:

Nah. Besides, my Immy isn't distinctly a thief, she's more of a bow-using mage who knows her way around locks and traps :roll:

Hah! Right.

The question is: does the honourable magistrate actually know of anyone who finished their rehabilitation?

In other words, they should post a sign at the gate that reads "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

Pretty much.

At least she seems vaguely sorry that she can't do anything for them.

Yeah :lol:

So is your Yoshi gonna be the nice kind or the kind that turns out to be an utter bastard? I'm hoping for nice, myself. ;)

Well, he is one of my favourite characters.

*shakes Yoshi by the collar* Which one? Which one??

Not saying! Not saying!

...ahem. Sorry 'bout that.

:)

Just don't kill any ogres on the way and you'll be fine.

Oh, I think they can manage :)

#14 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 03 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

Imoen was gone.

Edwin: Hurray! What... this is supposed to be bad news is it?

"It was only one spell," Ember mumbled to herself. A single white brick lay in a small puddle in front of her. She couldn't stop looking at it.

Edwin: Hmmm, yes. You wouldn't expect bricks that colour around here. Must have been imported from...

Aerie: I-I don't think the brick's really that important...

She burst into tears.

Tarant: Don't be such a girl...

Imoen: Bet you cried.

Tarant: Did not.

Imoen: Did too.

Tarant: Did not...

Imoen: Did!

Jaheira: I think I shall interrupt here, as they can go on for hours like this.

Aerie: Well, I-I'm sure they must have a good reason to be in such a hurry...

Imoen: Don't just accept stuff Aerie! You gotta make a fuss about things like that or people will go on taking liberties.

The magistrate was a formidable looking woman in her early fourties. She sat behind a massive oak desk, surrounded by a small army of clerks and scribes. "Good business to you," she greeted them, not unpleasantly, and gestured for them to sit down on a bench in front of her desk. "Is there aught that I can help you with?"

Tarant: What does aught mean?

Aerie: Anything... o-or nothing...

Tarant: I wanted to know what the word meant, not some vague pseudo-philosophy...

Aerie: B-but...

Tarant: Forget it. I'll find out myself.

"But Imoen didn't do that!" Ember protested. "That was another wizard! We got there at the end of the battle, and all she did was cast one single spell, to defend herself from him!"

Tarant: At least if she is she puts on a very good act. Fooled me for years.

"I cannot tell you where the prison is, for I do not know. Its location is a secret, even to us, as are their methods."

Imoen: Really, how can the government be happy with that? Not knowing what's going on within their own borders.

Tarant: Not nature again. I hate nature.

Good Chapter!

#15 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:11 AM

I like the way Ember's priorities make the order of things different from the game... I can find it quite believable forgetting about the dryads in the midst of all that activity, for example, but that does involve forgetting about them for ages.

#16 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:32 PM

Chapter 75: Without a Trace

The robed men who'd shouted about an illegal magical disturbance had vanished, taking both Irenicus and Imoen with them. Imoen had been part of the disturbance, they'd said, and then they had dragged her through a dimension door before Ember could make a single move to stop them.

Conspiracy to commit a disturbance, and resisting arrest. You're not making it to paladin any time soon. :P

"Who... who were they?" she asked helplessly.

Bunch of self-proclaimed police - vigilantes in other words - who deal with wizards gone rogue; at least in the PnP version. The BG2 lot are thoroughly at odds with that portrayal, though in some ways rather more fun to have around.

"You didn't tell us they might take her!" she shouted.

Why should he? They really only affect wizards and sorcerers.

I suggest you find a way to.

No other reason to stay around, I suppose.

Ember didn't protest as the two men lifted her to her feet. She watched wordlessly as Yoshimo sold a couple of Imoen's spellscrolls at a booth, then let herself be taken to a nearby inn Yoshimo knew about, a place called the Seven Vales.

Seven Veils, I think.

She burst into tears.

Ah, bureaucracy. With one member of staff off ill, and one on holiday, it was great fun discovering the auditors wanted a complete list of missing resources and the whole library needed stocktaking - by Friday 13th - without closing, since the darling students need to borrow books over the sumemr holiday. :cry:

"A friend of mine, Imoen, was taken captive by the Cowled Wizards," Ember said. "Is there anything I can do to free her?"

No. Goodbye.

The magistrate frowned. "I am truly sorry, but there is nothing that we can do. The Cowled Wizards are not under our command. They're not an official arm of our government and not subject to normal legal procedure."

Since they can cast fireballs, we're not going to send our badly-paid guards round to try to make them do so either.

That was slightly more polite than I'd have been.

"I am glad to hear that! Personally, I have found that a flexible attitude towards others always helps." Yoshimo grinned. "Now, you can find your way back to the Seven Vales, yes?"

A flexible attitude to others, plus the ability to dance on the head of a pin.

"Yes. I run package tours there every winter."

#17 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:19 PM

Imoen was gone.

Edwin: Hurray! What... this is supposed to be bad news is it?

Er, yes.

Edwin: Hmmm, yes. You wouldn't expect bricks that colour around here. Must have been imported from...

I was kind of hoping someone would have that reaction :roll:

Aerie: I-I don't think the brick's really that important...

It's not.

She burst into tears.

Tarant: Don't be such a girl...

Imoen: Bet you cried.

Tarant: Did not.

Imoen: Did too.

Tarant: Did not...

Imoen: Did!

Jaheira: I think I shall interrupt here, as they can go on for hours like this.

:cry:

Tarant: What does aught mean?

Aerie: Anything... o-or nothing...

Tarant: I wanted to know what the word meant, not some vague pseudo-philosophy...

Aerie: B-but...

Tarant: Forget it. I'll find out myself.

It's the opposite of naught :lol:

Tarant: At least if she is she puts on a very good act. Fooled me for years.

Yeah, even her epilogue spouts that eternal child nonsense.

Imoen: Really, how can the government be happy with that? Not knowing what's going on within their own borders.

I imagine the people who set up the arrangement are quite content. I also imagine that they never have to deal with the results.

Tarant: Not nature again. I hate nature.

Well, there'll be more of it.

Good Chapter!

#18 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:21 PM

I like the way Ember's priorities make the order of things different from the game... I can find it quite believable forgetting about the dryads in the midst of all that activity, for example, but that does involve forgetting about them for ages.

I realized long before I even started writing the SoA chapters that there was no way she could do the usual thing of lugging the acorns around and then hand them in as an afterthought. So, her group will just have to visit the Windspear Hills twice :cry:

#19 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

Conspiracy to commit a disturbance, and resisting arrest. You're not making it to paladin any time soon. :P

It's a good thing she'd rather tease a paladin than be a paladin, then.

"Who... who were they?" she asked helplessly.

Bunch of self-proclaimed police - vigilantes in other words - who deal with wizards gone rogue; at least in the PnP version. The BG2 lot are thoroughly at odds with that portrayal, though in some ways rather more fun to have around.

You wouldn't have the plot-furthering goose chase without them!

"You didn't tell us they might take her!" she shouted.

Why should he? They really only affect wizards and sorcerers.

Hush, he's being polite.

No other reason to stay around, I suppose.

Nope.

Ember didn't protest as the two men lifted her to her feet. She watched wordlessly as Yoshimo sold a couple of Imoen's spellscrolls at a booth, then let herself be taken to a nearby inn Yoshimo knew about, a place called the Seven Vales.

Seven Veils, I think.

That's when the innkeeper's husband was still around to run the place.

She burst into tears.

At least she's not staring at bricks anymore :lol:

Ah, bureaucracy. With one member of staff off ill, and one on holiday, it was great fun discovering the auditors wanted a complete list of missing resources and the whole library needed stocktaking - by Friday 13th - without closing, since the darling students need to borrow books over the sumemr holiday. :cry:

Sounds like bliss. Me, I'll be getting two saturdays off all summer, and one of them is threatened by a slacker coworker spraining his foot.

Since they can cast fireballs, we're not going to send our badly-paid guards round to try to make them do so either.

Good point.

That was slightly more polite than I'd have been.

It's all in how you say it.

A flexible attitude to others, plus the ability to dance on the head of a pin.

He's just a completely flexible package.

"Yes. I run package tours there every winter."

"While standing on the head of a pin."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com