Ember's Tale 73: Irenicus's Grove

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:49 AM

Chapter 73: Irenicus's Grove

After the small group's harrowing trek through filthy, goblin-infested tunnels, few things could have felt more out of place than the lavish bedchamber they found themselves in after sneaking past their captor's guardian beast.

The lush grove that lay beyond the bedchamber, complete with living trees and pools of water, was one such thing.

"It's so beautiful," Imoen exclaimed reverently. "Oh, there is simply no way that this place belongs to the same person that made those horrible glass containers."

"I don't think our captor would rent out space. It must be his," Ember replied. Something bothered her about the grove, but she couldn't quite pin down what.

The grove truly was beautiful, Ember conceded. Its air, suffused by a soft, golden light, was pleasantly warm. Rich grass covered the ground, yielding under their feet like a soft, cool carpet as they walked towards the closest pond. Its surface was perfectly smooth, and bright flowers grew around the rim. There were no streams or springs that Ember could see, but the water was not stagnant; it was as clear and fresh as any mountain brook. Imoen ran her hand through the surface of the pond, disrupting the utter silence of the grove with a slight splash.

It's too quiet.

"Boo wonders why there are no little bugs here," Minsc said.

Ember studied their surroundings more closely. The impression of warmth and life was only skin deep, and faded quickly as she looked at the perfectly aligned trees. They seemed to rest uncomfortably in the soil they grew from, and not a single bee lived between their branches. There were no insects of any kind, no birds, no rustling leaves, no trickles of water. The grove was false in every sense of the word; nothing truly lived in it.

"It's not just the insects," Ember said. "The trees would never stand so straight in nature. The water would never be so clear, especially not in a pond. This grove is too perfect, and all wrong. It's... it's a hollow mockery of what it should be."

Imoen nodded, tight-lipped. "It really is his, then," she murmured, and pulled away from the water.

A young girl with pale green skin peered out from behind one of the trees. "Sister, save us!" she pleaded, looking straight at Ember.

"Yes, help us!" someone else added, and a second figure, a slender woman with skin as brown as bark, stepped out from behind another tree.

"Free us!" a third voice cried, and a golden-green face appeared amidst the branches of an apple tree that bore neither flower nor fruit.

Imoen gasped. "They're dryads, aren't they?" she asked. Ember nodded.

"Pretty forest spirits have no place in a den of stinking evil! Boo does not understand! Why are you here?" Minsc asked.

"We are his possessions," the golden-green dryad said. Somehow, she was now standing on the ground before them.

"His servants," added the pale green dryad, also moving out from behind her tree. Her voice sounded like rain.

"His concubines," the brown dryad said. "Please, help us to escape!"

The three dryads were as lovely as the one Ember had seen in the Cloudpeaks, but there was a haunted look in their eyes, and there was an odd stiffness about the way they moved; it reminded Ember of the careful way very old women carried themselves. It was a heartbreaking sight. "What can we do to help?" she asked.

"Sister, if you can leave this place, take our acorns with you. Bring them to our Queen. Tell her of our plight in this creature's lair, so that she may free us," the golden-green dryad said.

"It is many years since we have bathed in sunlight," the brown dryad whispered. "He brought us here, and he keeps us here, even though we cannot affect him. We are supposed to instill emotion, but he is barren inside. I do not know what he expects!"

"Irenicus searches for something he cannot find, and he looks within those that have no more idea than he," the pale green dryad added.

"Irenicus..." Imoen muttered. "So, that's his name."

The dryad nodded. "A name that is synonymous with death and ugliness."

"No," Imoen said in a faraway voice, "death sounds different. He showed me... he..." She shook her head violently, and looked like she was about to pass out. Ember and Minsc rushed to her side to support her. "I don't want to think about it! I just want to go home," she lamented, rubbing her temples with the palms of her hands.

What did that monster do to her? "We'll go home," Ember said quietly, stroking Imoen's head. "I'll get you home. I promise."

"Minsc and Boo promise as well," Minsc said in an uncharacteristically low voice.

Ember turned towards the dryads. "Where can we find your Queen?" she asked.

"In the south end of the Windspear Hills," the pale green one replied. "She dwells near a lake there, along with our sisters. When you are near, our acorns will lead you to her." She headed towards one of the oak trees and whispered into a branch; the other two dryads followed suit. A faint light surrounded them as they each plucked a tiny, glowing acorn from their trees. The light faded fast; by the time they handed the acorns to Ember, the glow was already gone.

"We will help you escape," the pale green dryad told them. "You must pass through a portal to continue. One of the keys to it is kept in Her room. Follow, and I will take you there."

The two other dryads remained behind while the pale green one led the small group deeper into the grove, past more quiet pools and flowerless trees, to a wall of dark rock. An archway of carved marble, identical to the one they had entered through, was set in the wall, and beyond it lay a circular chamber, even more stunning than its counterpart on the other side of the grove. Intricately designed branches curved all over the walls and across the vaulted ceiling and around a window that looked out at a mass of black rock. A large bed with sheets of rosy silk dominated the room; gauzy drapes decorated its headboard. Similar drapes covered most of the useless window and adorned the sides of a large silvered mirror. Dressers and chests and wardrobes, carved from the same dark wood as the bed, lined most of the walls, and a thick carpet covered the entire floor.

It was a bedchamber fit for a queen. And it had never been used.

"We come here sometimes, to look at Her things," the dryad said, carefully picking up a leaf-shaped glass vial that lay on a dresser. "She was a lost love; this is his monument to Her, perfect in every detail."

Imoen ran her fingers over a silken cushion. "He talked about her, sometimes. He'd talk about her while... while he..." Her voice fell almost to a whisper. "His voice was cold... No emotion at all, not even remembered. If he could care for anything, he would care for this room, but he doesn't. It means nothing to him. And we mean even less. It makes me sick. I hate him, Em. I really, really hate him."

Ember took Imoen's hand and squeezed it tight. He will pay for what he's done to her. To us all.

---

The lady's bedchamber contained little of interest; the dresser and table were littered with perfume vials and other little ornaments, and the portal key was kept in a small compartment in the nightstand, but there was nothing in the chests, drawers and wardrobes. They were all empty, waiting for the belongings of a woman who would never arrive.

Having secured the key, the three of them followed the dryad back to the other bedchamber. She showed them another doorway, smaller and far less conspicuous than the marble archways. "The portal lies beyond that door," the dryad told them. "I can go no further; I must remain by my tree."

"I understand," Ember said, wondering how Irenicus had managed to imprison the dryads. How did he bring them here without killing them? How could he move their trees without them wilting? "Thank you for your help."

The dryad almost smiled. "It is we who must thank you; it is a noble thing you are doing for us. Go now. May the forest always open a path for you!"

As the dryad returned to her tree and her sisters, Ember started opening the drawers in the chamber they stood in. They were all empty. Even though the room did look like it'd been put to some use, there wasn't a single personal item in it, not even clothing. Imoen found a pile of blank scrolls in a desk, but not a single actual document.

"Clever Boo! Look what he has found!" Minsc opened a glass cabinet in a corner and pulled an intricately decorated helmet out of it.

"Oh, that's a nice one! Let me take a look," Imoen said. She accepted the helmet from Minsc and looked closely at it, running her fingers over the markings. "Hmm... it's enchanted, that's for sure. No curses, just powerful blessings. I don't think he's used it as anything but decoration, either," she pronounced. "Try it on!"

Imoen handed the helmet back to Minsc, who put it on. "Ahh, now this is a helmet fit for heroes!" Minsc exclaimed, beaming. Ember smiled at their large friend; even with his tattered clothes and wild hair, he did seem more like a hero with the enchanted helmet on. He looked stronger and healthier; he stood straighter. With the helmet on, Minsc almost seemed like himself again.

Satisfied that there was nothing else to learn or gain from the chamber, Ember led Imoen and Minsc through the small door into a dark room, lit only by the wavering glow of a magical portal. It was identical to the one they had found near their cells.

"You don't think it'll lead back to our cells, do you?" Imoen asked nervously.

Gods, I hope not. "Only one way to find out," Ember muttered. "Do your thing."

Imoen raised the key and pressed it against the portal. The surface rippled for a moment, then turned into a golden mist. "Everyone ready?" she asked.

Linking hands, the three friends stepped into the hazy opening. Golden mist surrounded them for a moment, then faded away to reveal what looked to be a simple storage room, littered with crates. The room was poorly lit and quite a bit colder than the chambers on the other side. A short man dressed in faded browns sat on one of the larger crates in a corner. The moment he saw them, he sprang up and drew a curved blade, assuming a defensive stance.

"Who stands before me?" the man asked.

"We've been held captive here," Ember said warily. "We are trying to get out. Do you intend to stop us?"

The man relaxed and lowered his blade. "Then your situation is as mine! If you are not in league with the evil that dwells in this unholy place, Yoshimo begs your assistance."

"How is it you come to be here, little man?" Minsc asked.

"I am not sure," Yoshimo said, scratching his head. "All I remember is going to bed in my room at the Copper Coronet one evening, only to awake imprisoned in a strange room with a very sore head. I freed myself and went in search for an exit, but the very next chamber I entered was full of small, cackling fiends that tried to kill me. I managed to elude most of them and escape into this room, but they still await me beyond that door." He pointed down a dark corridor. "There were no exits where you came from, I presume?"

"There was another magical portal, but I'm don't really think we could get back to it," Imoen said. "We tricked a golem into opening some doors for us, and I'm pretty sure it closed them behind us."

"Ah, an inspired feat!" Yoshimo said.

"So, what kind of creatures were your little fiends?" Ember asked.

"I will show you." Yoshimo moved towards the corridor. "This one followed me in here," he said, nudging what looked like a pile of twigs and frozen leather with his foot.

Imoen bent down and examined the bundle. "Ew, it's a mephit. Ice mephit, by the looks of it."

"We killed some of those earlier," Ember told Yoshimo. "Maybe we could get past them together?"

"Four may well succeed where one failed! I shall be happy to lend my blade to our shared cause." Yoshimo bowed slightly, then gave them a broad smile. "Now, by what names shall I call my new companions?"

#2 Guest_Ananke_*

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

It's too quiet.

Only a druid and a ranger... I'm sorry. It's just that I... don't entirely like insects trying to crawl on me when I try to read in my garden. I know that they are necessary. But, please, not up close!

Ember studied their surroundings more closely. The impression of warmth and life was only skin deep, and faded quickly as she looked at the perfectly aligned trees. They seemed to rest uncomfortably in the soil they grew from, and not a single bee lived between their branches. There were no insects of any kind, no birds, no rustling leaves, no trickles of water. The grove was false in every sense of the word; nothing truly lived in it.

Also, another impression... Those little 'gardens' in shopping malls? Perhaps Imoen should search for the switch which activates the fountain and the bird-song!

"It's not just the insects," Ember said. "The trees would never stand so straight in nature. The water would never be so clear, especially not in a pond. This grove is too perfect, and all wrong. It's... it's a hollow mockery of what it should be."

I stand by my thesis. Shopping Mall!

Oh, darn. It really is, judging from that description! :lol:

The lady's bedchamber contained little of interest; other than the portal key, there was nothing in the drawers except some jewelry that none of them wanted to touch, and the wardrobes and chests were all empty, waiting for the belongings of a woman who would never arrive.

Hmm... So, pilfering the random coins from dead, blood-covered goblin corpses is OK, while taking perfectly clean, probably much more precious, jewelry is not?

Methinks someone should rethink their priorities. Really. They have to live on something - I must sound terribly callous, don't I? :)

But it really does read odd, that, in their circumstances, they should not take something relatively lightweight and precious!

"Oh, that's a nice one! Let me take a look," Imoen said. She accepted the helmet from Minsc and looked closely at it, running her fingers over the markings. "Hmm... it's enchanted, that's for sure. No curses, just powerful blessings. I don't think he's used it as anything but decoration, either," she pronounced. "Try it on!"

Methinks someone learnt a lot during that trip to Durlag's Tower...! :D

Imoen handed the helmet back to Minsc, who put it on. "Ahh, now this is a helmet fit for heroes!" Minsc exclaimed, beaming. Ember smiled at their large friend; even with his tattered clothes and wild hair, he did seem more like a hero with the enchanted helmet on. He looked stronger and healthier; he stood straighter. With the helmet on, Minsc almost seemed like himself again.

...and I don't have to imagine Minsc with hair. Uff. I'm relieved!

(He is now the quintessential image of the barbarian hero, though, I think. Well, sans the hamster, of course!)

Imoen raised the key and pressed it against the portal. The surface rippled for a moment, then turned into a golden mist. "Everyone ready?" she asked.

Aye. She really did learn a lot during that Durlag's Tower trip... I don't think she was nearly half as much magic-versed during even the last action chapters of BG1! She felt much more like an apprentice than like a wizard then. Now, she feels like a wizard. It's a Quantum Leap in wizardry, almost. :D

The moment he saw them, he sprang up and drew a curved blade, assuming a defensive stance.

Haii-ya!
... The tourists love it.

"I am not sure," Yoshimo said, scratching his head.

I love this part. I've always imagined Yoshimo scratching his head, for some reason. :D

Imoen bent down and examined the bundle. "Ew, it's a mephit. Ice mephit, by the looks of it."

I rest my case. Quantum Leap... Actually, this comment sort of applies also to the previous chapter - the part with the lockpicks/opening Minsc's cage? Imoen feels a bit more... purposeful, I think? I know that you were writing her as a growing-up person in the BG1 part of story, too, but she really does feel a bit different--

Well. Perhaps my altered perception, especially in the thieving part, is only the result of your having less people in the party, and being more able to afford concentrating on describing individual actions... Methinks I'd have to think about it :)

"We killed some of those earlier," Ember told Yoshimo. "Maybe we could get past them together?"

"Four may well succeed where one failed! I shall be happy to lend my blade to our shared cause." Yoshimo bowed slightly, then gave them a broad smile. "Now, by what names shall I call my new companions?"

Ah... He's such a likeable rogue, your Yoshimo... :D

#3 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:51 PM

After the small group's harrowing trek through filthy, goblin-infested tunnels, few things could have felt more out of place than the lavish bedchamber they found themselves in after sneaking past their captor's guardian beast.

The lush grove that lay beyond the bedchamber, complete with living trees and pools of water, was one such thing.

"It's so beautiful," Imoen exclaimed reverently. "Oh, there is simply no way that this place belongs to the same person that made those horrible glass containers."

"I don't think our captor would rent out space. It must be his," Ember replied. Something bothered her about the grove, but she couldn't quite pin down what.

It might be that it is not supposed to be there :)

The grove truly was beautiful, Ember conceded. Its air, suffused by a soft, golden light, was pleasantly warm. Rich grass covered the ground, yielding under their feet like a soft, cool carpet as they walked towards the closest pond. Its surface was perfectly smooth, and bright flowers grew around the rim. There were no streams or springs that Ember could see, but the water was not stagnant; it was as clear and fresh as any mountain brook. Imoen ran her hand through the surface of the pond, disrupting the utter silence of the grove with a slight splash.

It's too quiet.

It does make sense that she as a druid should notice such things.

"No," Imoen said in a faraway voice, "death sounds different. He showed me... he..." She shook her head violently, and looked like she was about to pass out. Ember and Minsc rushed to her side to support her. "I don't want to think about it! I just want to go home," she lamented, rubbing her temples with the palms of her hands.

:lol:

As the dryad returned to her tree and her sisters, Ember started opening the drawers in the chamber they stood in. They were all empty. Even though the room did look like it'd been put to some use, there wasn't a single personal item in it, not even clothing. Imoen found a pile of blank scrolls in a desk, but not a single actual document.

How wonderfully barren... it fits him.

It does look ridculus though...

"I will show you." Yoshimo moved towards the corridor. "This one followed me in here," he said, nudging what looked like a pile of twigs and frozen leather with his foot.

Will there be another round of: Hay! Lets trust the random dude! :)

#4 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:22 PM

It's too quiet.

Only a druid and a ranger... I'm sorry. It's just that I... don't entirely like insects trying to crawl on me when I try to read in my garden. I know that they are necessary. But, please, not up close!

I concur. They can flit around all they want, but no touching, and absolutely no entering my house!

Also, another impression... Those little 'gardens' in shopping malls? Perhaps Imoen should search for the switch which activates the fountain and the bird-song!

:)

I stand by my thesis. Shopping Mall!

I'll expect a 50 page paper on the thesis topic by tomorrow!

Oh, darn. It really is, judging from that description! :lol:

It really is what? Fit for a queen or never used?

The lady's bedchamber contained little of interest; other than the portal key, there was nothing in the drawers except some jewelry that none of them wanted to touch, and the wardrobes and chests were all empty, waiting for the belongings of a woman who would never arrive.

Hmm... So, pilfering the random coins from dead, blood-covered goblin corpses is OK, while taking perfectly clean, probably much more precious, jewelry is not?

I meant to allude to them not wanting to touch anything that mattered to Irenicus, but you have a point (and they already refused to touch knives) so I think I'll edit that paragraph a bit.

Methinks someone should rethink their priorities. Really. They have to live on something - I must sound terribly callous, don't I? :D

Just a little :)

But it really does read odd, that, in their circumstances, they should not take something relatively lightweight and precious!

They're not in lootmongering mode yet.

Methinks someone learnt a lot during that trip to Durlag's Tower...! :?

Well, she always was the one who identified stuff in the group. I figured by now she'd seen enough to be able to recognize if there were curses and blessings on items even without an Identify spell. She doesn't know what the helmet is and she doesn't know what it does, but she knows it won't harm Minsc, which let me put it on him and have him have his Barbarian Hero Moment :)

Aye. She really did learn a lot during that Durlag's Tower trip... I don't think she was nearly half as much magic-versed during even the last action chapters of BG1! She felt much more like an apprentice than like a wizard then. Now, she feels like a wizard. It's a Quantum Leap in wizardry, almost. :?

I guess this is because I so rarely wrote about loot, but she was always good with gadgets. She identified stuff, she handled the traps, she handled the locks until Alora came along, and I think magical portals were more than likely covered in her basic education with Eddie.

The moment he saw them, he sprang up and drew a curved blade, assuming a defensive stance.

Haii-ya!
... The tourists love it.

:(

"I am not sure," Yoshimo said, scratching his head.

I love this part. I've always imagined Yoshimo scratching his head, for some reason. :(

It does seem to fit him, doesn't it :D

I rest my case. Quantum Leap... Actually, this comment sort of applies also to the previous chapter - the part with the lockpicks/opening Minsc's cage? Imoen feels a bit more... purposeful, I think? I know that you were writing her as a growing-up person in the BG1 part of story, too, but she really does feel a bit different--

Actually, all three of them could have identified it as a mephit and probably also as an ice mephit. Although Ember would not have said ew, and Minsc would have called it 'one of those nasty little mephit things'.
I think she might be more purposeful now because there is nobody else in the group with her particular skillset; there is no need to discuss or to have Alora or Edwin do something first.

Well. Perhaps my altered perception, especially in the thieving part, is only the result of your having less people in the party, and being more able to afford concentrating on describing individual actions... Methinks I'd have to think about it :D

She shared magery with Edwin before - not that she'll be casting spells, but she gets to understand portals and such things - and her thieving hasn't been showcased as I never wrote about her running through the manor and deftly picking every lock (especially since she's not a thief as much as she is a mage with a knack for archery and solving puzzles/locks/traps).

Also: this is the girl who killed Sarevok.

Ah... He's such a likeable rogue, your Yoshimo... :D

I hope I can manage to keep it up; he is the character least present in my head at the moment.

#5 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:32 PM

It might be that it is not supposed to be there :)

:D

It does make sense that she as a druid should notice such things.

She might have forgotten how to meditate and pray for spells, but I wasn't about to send her into dryadville and be completely oblivious.

How wonderfully barren... it fits him.

Irenicus: I would thank you if your opinion mattered to me. Now, run off and fetch me some shadow thieves.

It does look ridculus though...

That is one of the more awkward looking helmets in the game :D

Will there be another round of: Hay! Lets trust the random dude! :D

Yes, with a bit less of the unexplained initial suspicion towards a fellow prisoner in a dungeon where dryads and goblins and strange fat men that turn into little boys are taken at face value :lol:

#6 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:26 AM

Immy's sudden love of trees confused me a bit the first time I saw it in game... I had always taken her for one of those "OMG LOVE" people about the city and those "Eh" people about the country... but I guess I should look at it like it's just her seeking some sort of beauty after all Irenicus has done to her.

It's too quiet.

I sense a dryad ambush! :lol:

Nice druiding there, Ember.

The three dryads were as lovely as the one Ember had seen in the Cloudpeaks, but there was a haunted look in their eyes, and there was an odd stiffness about the way they moved; it reminded Ember of the careful way very old women carried themselves. It was a heartbreaking sight. "What can we do to help?" she asked.

I really like these descriptions of them.

The two other dryads remained behind while the pale green one led the small group deeper into the grove, past more quiet pools and flowerless trees, to a wall of dark rock. An archway of carved marble, identical to the one they had entered through, was set in the wall, and beyond it lay a circular chamber, even more stunning than its counterpart on the other side of the grove. Intricately designed branches curved all over the walls and across the vaulted ceiling and around a window that looked out at a mass of black rock. A large bed with sheets of rosy silk dominated the room; gauzy drapes decorated its headboard. Similar drapes covered most of the useless window and adorned the sides of a large silvered mirror. Dressers and chests and wardrobes, carved from the same dark wood as the bed, lined most of the walls, and a thick carpet covered the entire floor.

Sounds comfy! Well, except for the location, I mean. And the creepy stalker.

"I understand," Ember said, wondering how Irenicus had managed to imprison the dryads. How did he bring them here without killing them? How could he move their trees without them wilting? "Thank you for your help."

Good question. I imagine a dryad tree's roots run deep...

Minsc the Barbarian! :)

Linking hands, the three friends stepped into the hazy opening. Golden mist surrounded them for a moment, then faded away to reveal what looked to be a simple storage room, littered with crates. The room was poorly lit and quite a bit colder than the chambers on the other side. A short man dressed in faded browns sat on one of the larger crates in a corner. The moment he saw them, he sprang up and drew a curved blade, assuming a defensive stance.

Hi, Yoshi! *waves*

Well, this Bhaalspawn What You Want To Betray And/Or Kill, this is Yet To Be Revealed Bhaalspawn, and this is Braind-Damaged Yet Wise Guy Who's Pretty Useful In a Fight. You can abbreviate those, of course, for easier usage. :)

I actually quite like Yoshimo. Can't wait to see what you do with him!

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:40 AM

Immy's sudden love of trees confused me a bit the first time I saw it in game... I had always taken her for one of those "OMG LOVE" people about the city and those "Eh" people about the country... but I guess I should look at it like it's just her seeking some sort of beauty after all Irenicus has done to her.

It's probably something like that. Also, I think the game developers put everyone's angst and gut reactions in Imoen's mouth, as they did need to tell the player a little bit about what was going on, and the couldn't let Minsc or Jaheira do it :) Anyway, the result is (to me) that Immy's a bit overblown on both angsting and gushing over dryads, the latter especially when she's travelling with a druid :)

It's too quiet.

I sense a dryad ambush! :D

I really like these descriptions of them.

Thanks!

Well, this Bhaalspawn What You Want To Betray And/Or Kill, this is Yet To Be Revealed Bhaalspawn, and this is Braind-Damaged Yet Wise Guy Who's Pretty Useful In a Fight. You can abbreviate those, of course, for easier usage. :D

:lol:

I actually quite like Yoshimo. Can't wait to see what you do with him!

Me neither!

#8 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

Yep, the story's getting going now. I do wonder what the heck Irenicus did with his "concubines". Not a pleasant image.

#9 Guest_Ananke_*

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:47 AM

Oh, darn. It really is, judging from that description! :wink:

It really is what? Fit for a queen or never used?

Fit for a queen. :lol:

#10 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

"I don't think our captor would rent out space. It must be his," Ember replied.

I wonder who might want to rent space down there anyway… -and- from Irenicus, too. :lol:

Always figured it to be a magical replica of the elven forests or some such.

"Sister, if you can leave this place, take our acorns with you. Bring them to our Queen. Tell her of our plight in this creature's lair, so that she may free us," the golden-green dryad said.

Oh yes the acorns… I suppose if we don’t have to make the long boring backtracking to the duergar, we might as well help you.

"In the south end of the Windspear Hills," the pale green one replied. "She dwells near a lake there, along with our sisters. When you are near, our acorns will lead you to her."

I doubt Ember at this point has a clue where Windspear Hills are! :wink:

It is about as superficial as Ellesime herself. :lol:

Having secured the key, the three of them followed the dryad back to the other bedchamber. She showed them another doorway, smaller and far less conspicuous than the marble archways. "The portal lies beyond that door," the dryad told them. "I can go no further; I must remain by my tree."

Oh, and mind the goblins, too. :lol:

Yummy Helm of Balduran, such a great item :lol:

Well except the hair and the beard… yikes!

Hello Random Inconspicuous Helpful Stranger!

Let us see if Yoshi’s charm will be sufficient to convince Ember to keep him as a companion.

#11 Laufey

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:08 PM

Commenting briefly - it was well written and I enjoyed it, I've just read and played this part of the game a few times too many. :wink:

I especially liked the description of the dryad grove, with those too perfect trees. I never liked too perfectly posed trees either, they make me uneasy. The description reminded me of that nasty Lawful Awful afterlife in Arcadia, to be honest.

Well done. :lol:
Rogues do it from behind.

#12 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:01 AM

Yep, the story's getting going now. I do wonder what the heck Irenicus did with his "concubines". Not a pleasant image.

My Irenicus is impotent, so he didn't 'do' very much to them. Still, it was far from pleasant.

#13 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:07 AM

"I don't think our captor would rent out space. It must be his," Ember replied.

I wonder who might want to rent space down there anyway… -and- from Irenicus, too. :)

Good question :lol:

Always figured it to be a magical replica of the elven forests or some such.

Yeah, a bit of home away from home. And you just know that he doesn't notice it's nothing like it.

Oh yes the acorns… I suppose if we don’t have to make the long boring backtracking to the duergar, we might as well help you.

The whole acorn-duergar plot struck me as unnecessary :lol:

"In the south end of the Windspear Hills," the pale green one replied. "She dwells near a lake there, along with our sisters. When you are near, our acorns will lead you to her."

I doubt Ember at this point has a clue where Windspear Hills are! :wink:

She's a woman. She'll ask for directions :lol:

Oh, and mind the goblins, too. :lol:

Except I couldn't be bothered writing them in. After all, would Irenicus want them to go mess up his bedroom?

Yummy Helm of Balduran, such a great item ;)

Ugly but fun!

Well except the hair and the beard… yikes!

:?

Hello Random Inconspicuous Helpful Stranger!

Sheesh, you know he'd really be inconspicuous if people didn't know what'd happen, and if he had a slightly better cover story. So I edited his cover story a tiny bit.

Let us see if Yoshi’s charm will be sufficient to convince Ember to keep him as a companion.

She kept Edwin around, after all.

#14 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:09 AM

Commenting briefly - it was well written and I enjoyed it, I've just read and played this part of the game a few times too many. :wink:

Haven't we all? :lol:

I especially liked the description of the dryad grove, with those too perfect trees. I never liked too perfectly posed trees either, they make me uneasy. The description reminded me of that nasty Lawful Awful afterlife in Arcadia, to be honest.

Well done. :lol:

Thanks!

#15 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:13 PM

It's too quiet.

Maybe the waters radioactive... they won't know what means but I would never put it past Jon boy. He has to have done something evil with the place.

Imoen nodded, tight-lipped. "It really is his, then," she murmured, and pulled away from the water.

Well, I suppose that sums up Jonny as well.

A young girl with pale green skin peered out from behind one of the trees. "Sister, save us!" she pleaded, looking straight at Ember.

"Yes, help us!" someone else added, and a second figure, a slender woman with skin as brown as bark, stepped out from behind another tree.

"Free us!" a third voice cried, and a golden-green face appeared amidst the branches of an apple tree that bore neither flower nor fruit.

Imoen: How come you never see any male dryads? Or nymphs, or sirenes.

Aerie: I-I don't think there are really any female either... i-it's just what they choose to look like when they appear to people.

Tarant: If they were smart they'd make themselves ugly sometimes too... then this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

"It is many years since we have bathed in sunlight," the brown dryad whispered. "He brought us here, and he keeps us here, even though we cannot affect him. We are supposed to instill emotion, but he is barren inside. I do not know what he expects!"

"Irenicus searches for something he cannot find, and he looks within those that have no more idea than he," the pale green dryad added.

Aerie: It's elven... I mean, A-avariel dialect is quite different from the elves on the surface, but it's still basically the same language. I-I guess it wouldn't be that strange for a human to take an elven name.

What did that monster do to her? "We'll go home," Ember said quietly, stroking Imoen's head. "I'll get you home. I promise."

Imoen: He did terrible things... he used... sarcasm... puns, irony... it was awful!

Tarant: Let's smash it up...

Imoen ran her fingers over a silken cushion. "He talked about her, sometimes. He'd talk about her while... while he..." Her voice fell almost to a whisper. "His voice was cold... No emotion at all, not even remembered. If he could care for anything, he would care for this room, but he doesn't. It means nothing to him. And we mean even less. It makes me sick. I hate him, Em. I really, really hate him."

Ember took Imoen's hand and squeezed it tight. He will pay for what he's done to her. To us all.

Driving Immy to hate... that's a pretty darn despicable guy.

The man relaxed and lowered his blade. "Then your situation is as mine! If you are not in league with the evil that dwells in this unholy place, Yoshimo begs your assistance."

Imoen: Well, he may be small in height but I'm sure he's tall in stature.

Iiice... I hate the summer.

Imoen: Well, people call me... Ace.

Good chapter!

#16 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

It's too quiet.

Maybe the waters radioactive... they won't know what means but I would never put it past Jon boy. He has to have done something evil with the place.

Yeah, he put it there in the first place.

Well, I suppose that sums up Jonny as well.

Originally, one of the girls was going to say just that, but I decided it'd be too heavy-handed :(

Imoen: How come you never see any male dryads? Or nymphs, or sirenes.

Or female satyrs.

Tarant: Let's smash it up...

Ember's not really that type of Bhaalspawn.

Driving Immy to hate... that's a pretty darn despicable guy.

The worst.

Imoen: Well, he may be small in height but I'm sure he's tall in stature.

The nicest guy you could ever have placed under a geas to betray you.

Iiice... I hate the summer.

Want to trade? We're lucky if the temperature goes above 10C/50F.

Imoen: Well, people call me... Ace.

Good chapter!

Thanks!

#17 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

Chapter 73: Irenicus's Grove

And a goblin infested library, don't forget.

It's too quiet.

Normally those words are followed by an ambush.

Either that, or they've had too much cosmetic surgery.

"We will help you escape," the pale green dryad told them. "You must pass through a portal to continue. One of the keys to it is kept in Her room. Follow, and I will take you there."

I wish you could do it this way in the game. All that running around is really tedious after you've done it a dozen times before - actually it's really tedious the second time round, but it doesn't get better.

You might want to get him a pair of trousers. That will help too :)

Here we come, ready or not.

:( :) My PnP game last weekend we heard that line from the DM - I can't repeat the reply on a public forum.

"We've been held captive here," Ember said warily. "We are trying to get out. Do you intend to stop us?"

What, do I look stupid enough to fight at one to three odds?

Athos, Porthos and Aramis?

#18 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:44 PM

And a goblin infested library, don't forget.

I didn't.

It's too quiet.

Normally those words are followed by an ambush.

Yeah, but clichees are made to be avoided at times.

Either that, or they've had too much cosmetic surgery.

Or tattoos.

I wish you could do it this way in the game. All that running around is really tedious after you've done it a dozen times before - actually it's really tedious the second time round, but it doesn't get better.

Yeah. It's tedious to write about it as well, especially when the stuff that everyone knows anyway refuses to be written about (as my next chapter has been doing for the past week or so).

You might want to get him a pair of trousers. That will help too :D

;) :) My PnP game last weekend we heard that line from the DM - I can't repeat the reply on a public forum.

Bah, you can't go around making people all curious like that!

What, do I look stupid enough to fight at one to three odds?

Well, who can tell in this damned place?

Athos, Porthos and Aramis?

But which is which?

#19 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:28 PM

It does seem a bit ... incongruous. I actually thought, design wise, that it should have been a separate level.

Then again, Jonny boy is a little... disturbed.

It's too quiet.

I like the touch.. the druid and the ranger noticing things are out of kilter.. ;)

*nods sadly* "Aye Immy, it is.

"Pretty forest spirits have no place in a den of stinking evil! Boo does not understand! Why are you here?" Minsc asked.

Boo, rescuer of dryads. :)

The Druid Ember, to the rescue! :)

Aye, that it is. Good ol Jonny boy.

Poor Immy... the horrible things done to her. Bastardo!

"In the south end of the Windspear Hills," the pale green one replied. "She dwells near a lake there, along with our sisters. When you are near, our acorns will lead you to her." She headed towards one of the oak trees and whispered into a branch; the other two dryads followed suit. A faint light surrounded them as they each plucked a tiny, glowing acorn from their trees. The light faded fast; by the time they handed the acorns to Ember, the glow was already gone.

Better than having to get them from pulped dwarf corpses.

"We come here sometimes, to look at Her things," the dryad said, carefully picking up a leaf-shaped glass vial that lay on a dresser. "She was a lost love; this is his monument to Her, perfect in every detail."

Another part of the pattern that makes for an interesting and dark villain.

The lady's bedchamber contained little of interest; the dresser and table were littered with perfume vials and other little ornaments, and the portal key was kept in a small compartment in the nightstand, but there was nothing in the chests, drawers and wardrobes. They were all empty, waiting for the belongings of a woman who would never arrive.

*shivers* I had never thought of it that way.

"Clever Boo! Look what he has found!" Minsc opened a glass cabinet in a corner and pulled an intricately decorated helmet out of it.

The Helm of Balduran! :D

Yay!

Minsc the Barbarian Hero! I love it! Tis awesome!

Dial the gate! :P

Ahh... Yoshimo. :P

And here's Yoshi. :D

To Minsc, almost everyone is a little man. :D

"So, what kind of creatures were your little fiends?" Ember asked.

Mephits. Annoying little buggers, aren't they.

And no claiming the Chaos Sword I assume?

Steve. They're all named Steve. :)

Hehehe.

Great chapter, I like what you did with it Cel.

VH

#20 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:57 PM

It does seem a bit ... incongruous. I actually thought, design wise, that it should have been a separate level.

Then again, Jonny boy is a little... disturbed.

That's one way to put it.

I like the touch.. the druid and the ranger noticing things are out of kilter.. :P

I wish the game script would have allowances for such things. There are places where many of the classes could be expected to have certain reactions that just.aren't.offered, you just get the garden variety responses that can be expected from the most common heroing types.

Boo, rescuer of dryads. :D

Minsc: Boo would rescue the world! But it is to large to fit in his cheekpouches.

The Druid Ember, to the rescue! :D

The game engine might not recognize her class except in Trademeet, but that doesn't mean I have to keep it that way :)

Better than having to get them from pulped dwarf corpses.

It struck me as a pointless detour - and even more so now that I've decided they can't go back past the otuygh and the closed door :)

Another part of the pattern that makes for an interesting and dark villain.

He's like the quintessential psychopath.

*shivers* I had never thought of it that way.

I'm glad someone responded to that line :)

The Helm of Balduran! :)

The very same!

Minsc the Barbarian Hero! I love it! Tis awesome!

:(

And here's Yoshi. :D

So, you are on ...friendly terms with him? ;)

To Minsc, almost everyone is a little man. :D

Unless it's a little girl or a little Ember or a little Imoen, yes :D

And no claiming the Chaos Sword I assume?

What would Ember do with it? Also, I kinda dislike all the references to Sarevok after the guy is dead.

Great chapter, I like what you did with it Cel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com