Beloved Child 45

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:45 PM

It is soul sucking time!

I hope Nalia does not suck too much.

The next two chapters will be the maze. Since I hate it, we will be going through it rather quickly.

To tantalize you: In the next few chapters Imoen will utilize her brain meats and explain why Groder is younger then her, she will also note that she is part of the worst rescue ever. Also Haer`Dalis and Groder will talk about erotic novels. :)

Beloved Child 45

Jaheira woke with a start and immediately grabbed after her staff. When she did not find it she began taking in her surroundings. Four of them where cramped into a small cell. Viconia had already awakened and stood in front of the door; beyond the Drow`s head and the small grate in the thick wooden door the druid saw only dark blue walls. She realized that they where not in one of the cells Irenicus had showed them. Haer`Dalises tattooed face filled her vision.

“How are you feeling my hound?” The bard inquired, there seemed to be actual worry in his voice. “You are the last of us to wake up. As you have undoubtedly noticed they took our weapons but did not bother with the armour. Groder nor your Imoen is with us.” The tiefling informed.

The half-elf sat up, she felt a bit sluggish. Looking around she saw Nalia sitting against a wall, sobbing into her knees. The druid got up and walked over to the noble, putting a hand on the young woman’s shoulder.

“How… how could he?” Nalia cried.

Jaheira closed her eyes.

“There may be circumstances of which we are not aware.” She tried and realized that she did not sound very convincing.

“Like the fact that he is rothe born iblith!” Viconia growled and tried to peer out into the corridor.

“That is not helpful, Viconia.” Jaheira admonished. “Child, sometimes we put our trust in the wrong people.” She said softly to Nalia.

“But I love him, how can he just…” Nalia trailed off and another sob wracked her body. “I am an idiot. I am such a damned idiot…”

Viconia jumped back from the door and hissed.

“They are coming.” The Drow backed away from the door.

The sound of footsteps and voices came closer.

“I care not one whit for his companions, Yoshimo.” The voice belonging to Irenicus said. “All I need is him. They are of no consequence.”

The footsteps stopped just outside the cell.

“Then let them live.” Yoshimo pleaded. “At least let me take Nalia with me.”

“The mageling?” Irenicus asked. “Do you think that she would come with you after you have delivered them into the hands of their enemy?”

Yoshimo did not answer. Irenicus walked away, footsteps echoing through empty halls. During the brief conversation between the bounty hunter and the mage, Nalia had gotten up. Her face was streaked with tears. The young noble walked resolutely up to the door. The Kara-Turan deliberately avoided her gaze.

“Why?” She simply asked, her voice nearly breaking. Behind her, Viconia and Jaheira gave the bounty hunter rage filled glares.

“Do tell us of your tragedy.” Haer`Dalis said slightly mockingly then his voice hardened. “Remember that I said I would kill you should you harm the Raven.”

“Why?” Nalia repeated and new tears ran down her face.

Yoshimo`s head snapped up. The man was sweating profusely now and some pain was evident in his eyes.

“I could not do otherwise. It is a geas, do you understand?” He said. “I could not disobey on pain of death.”

“You could have told us.” Nalia sniffed and grabbed the bars of the small window. “We could have done something about it.”

“No, you could not, young lovely.” Nalia balked at the pet name and Yoshimo looked away. “He is too powerful.”

“Was the geas all that warranted this betrayal of us?” Jaheira asked, resting a hand on Nalia`s shoulder.

“I do not wish for you to get hurt; only Groder deserves what is coming to him.” Yoshimo said. “I think I can keep them from harming you.” His face fell.

Nalia straightened and looked Yoshimo in the eye.

“Do... don’t think that I will follow you anywhere.” The redhead said. Yoshimo looked at her; some understanding began writing itself over his face. “You… this…” Nalia lowered her head, turned away and walked back into the cell.

When Nalia no longer blocked the door, Haer`Dalis quickly ran up to it and shot a hand through the bars, gripping after Yoshimo`s neck and hissing all the while, sharp teeth bared. The Kara-Turan jumped back and came back to back with the opposite wall.

“Leave us and hope that we are dead the next time you see us.” Viconia said and narrowed her eyes dangerously. “For if not…”

Yoshimo slowly walked away. Nalia sat down on the lone bed and held her head in her hands.

Groder awoke to find himself in a large glass cylinder. It was reminiscent of the ones that had populated Irenicus dungeon beneath Athkatla. The top of the cylinder was attached to a large machine. It hummed and electricity danced on long coils. It was in turn attached to several other cylinders lining the left and right walls. Dark clad men and women of all races were trapped in them.

The room all this was located in had presumably been some sort of area for the dangerous inmates that where kept below ground to exercise in. Stairs led upwards and one could see corridors and cell doors behind the open vaults that surrounded the top of the room.

“You are awake, good.” Irenicus whom stood in front of the glass cylinder said. Groder saw Yoshimo standing off to the side. Bodhi stood next Irencius and supported Imoen whom swayed next to the vampire. Bodhi licked the air in front of her with her long tongue.

Groder remained sitting on the cylinder floor. His mind working fast. He was trapped and would most likely not get out of this.

“What are you going to do?” He asked carefully making sure his voice did not crack. The boy glanced at Imoen who seemed a bit more lucid.

“There really is no need to explain.” Irenicus walked up next to the cylinder and began fiddling with the controls. “Bodhi`s war had borne its fruits and provided the engines for my machine, you have foolishly come here and delivered what I want and Yoshimo has done his duty. Everything is as I have planned it.”

“I get that you want me because I am a Bhaalspawn but why the hell did you want with Imoen?” Groder asked trying to gain time.

“You truly did not know? That she was a spawn as well?” Irencius asked as he pulled a lever.

“She is?” Groder asked incredulously. “You have to be joking. Imoen?” The boy chuckled.

“It was hidden and suppressed by her overly cheerful nature.” Irenicus explained. “I had to show her some dark shadows indeed. It is odd that you never connected the fact that you both were at Candlekeep even with the age discrepancy.”

Then Groder looked to Yoshimo.

“When I get out of this I will kill you.” The boy threatened.

The Kara-Turan snorted derisively.

”You will get what you deserve.” Yoshimo growled. “And you won’t get out of this.”

Bodhi giggled.

“He is right you know, little mouse.”

Irenicus finished and the hum of the machine rose. The air crackled with electricity and magic energies. One after one, the trapped thieves began to twist and then rot on the spot as the machine filled each of the cylinders with an eerie red and blue light.

“Bodhi almost killed me you know!” Groder shouted over the din of the machine and the screams of the thieves. “Your sister smashed right through to my ribs!”

Irenicus turned his head and locked his cold blue eyes with Groder`s green.

“If you had died, I would have changed my plans accordingly.” The mage stated.

Then Groder knew no more and could not see Bodhi cringe.

It was another dreamscape. Groder walked up the steps to the Candlekeep library. He wondered why this place featured so prominently among his dreams; he had never really liked the place despite that it had been his home for some fourteen years. The boy passed through the large double doors. Almost immediately bookshelves rose up before him. The first floor looked as familiar as always. He moved into an open area that held a few tables and chairs.

“Ah, there you are.” He heard his own voice say.

Groder looked around and on top of one of the bookshelves laid a copy of himself. It looked lazily over at him and smiled. The copy looked exactly like him except that it carried a short sword instead of an axe. Groder reached behind him and found that Azure Edge was there. It was a dream after all.

“Did I not fight you once already?” Groder asked the clone but saw that it had the same green eyes as him, not the golden ones of the one he had fought in another dream.

“Maybe but it is unlikely.” The clone sat up on the top of the shelf. “And we are not going to fight each other.” The clone winked.

“Then what are we going to do?” Groder asked and put his hands on his hips.

“Somewhere out there.” The clone waved a hand daintily in the direction of the walls. “Is the instinct, the blood, Bhaal if you will… we are going to fight it.”

“Really?” Groder raised an eyebrow.

“Yes.” The clone nodded. “You have to bring him before me here, only then will he be vulnerable.”

“Why you and why here?” Groder swept a hand at the library.

The clone sighed. “I am a part of your soul given form. Lot’s of metaphysical and spiritual blah blah to follow. Long story short, I am here to make sure we don’t die.” It said and went on. “And this place is… well… I don’t know. We don’t really like this place do we?” The copy trailed off and looked around.

“Why do I have to bring it here? Can’t you just come with me?” The boy asked the copy.

“I suppose… what the hells. Let’s go and kill it!” The copy shouted and jumped off the shelf.

It wore the form of Sarevok in all his murderous glory. Golden eyes burned in the spiked helmet. It held up a serrated claymore with one massive hand.

“I am the blood, the instinct! I will not be denied! I cannot be denied! You are fuel to feed the return!” It bellowed. Then it noticed the copy. “Your soul, it has taken form from within. There have been others that have defied me, the strong of will, the virtuous and the faithful but you are none of these...” It laughed softly. “You are unique in that which stops me is your hate.”

“The hate fuels us.” The copy said mimicking the instinct and brandished his sword.

“I can’t disagree.” Groder said and brought forth Azure Edge. “It feels… good.” He smiled.

Bhaal laughed

“Even hate can be broken!” It bellowed and charged. “You are mine!”

Metal crashed on metal and Groder found that the Bhaal instinct was rather strong. The boy blocked another wild swing of the claymore while the copy dodged forward and stabbed at the openings in the armour. After both advancing and retreating, Groder and the copy ended up side by side in front of Bhaal.

“This is getting us nowhere. It is time to cheat!” The copy announced.

Bhaal charged again and while Groder blocked another blow, the copy dematerialized and the appeared again behind Bhaal. The copy slid his sword just under the Bhaal things left arm. Groder reacted fast and swung Azure Edge at Bhaal`s head. The head wad cleanly lopped off and the armour dissolved into nothing.

“We saw a chance and took it, it is what heroes do!” The copy proclaimed and then looked at Groder. “Now wake up, you have killing to do.”

#2 Guest_Ananke_*

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

It is soul sucking time!

Ah, yes. Though the way the dream ended, mayhap Groder won't have his soul sucked out?

Oooh. Terrible pun. But Nalia actually did not suck at all. She was very believable. No grand gestures, just the quiet anger, and a bit of more angry anger... I liked her a lot. Very much in character, I would say! :P

Also, I liked Yoshimo, his anger, and his disappointment, and his use of pet name. And how Haer'Dalis was even worried about Jaheira, just a bit...

In the next few chapters Imoen will utilize her brain meats and explain why Groder is younger then her, she will also note that she is part of the worst rescue ever. Also Haer`Dalis and Groder will talk about erotic novels.

:) Will they at least be good erotic novels? Erotic novels from Sigil, mayhap? Featuring succubi and incubi, and aasimars, and solars and-- Err. I'm really looking forward to reading your Imoen! And I'm really, really looking forward to reading anything about Imoen's spawn-hood!

Also, Haer'Dalis hissing was utterly creepy, and I loved the way Groder wonders why he goes to Candlekeep in his dreams, and I'm wondering why his clone has a short sword, and I loved how Groder did not see Bodhi cowering before Irenicus' anger. And it was funny how you cut the pseudo-metaphysical stuff with "blah, blah, blah". But, beside that, I'm finding it hard not to quote long passages and comment them with 'I liked it'. I think I liked the whole chapter... ;)

#3 Guest_Tyriel_*

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:49 PM

Though I usually sympathize with the protagonist at this part, I can't exactly bring myself to do so in Groder's case. I wouldn't have exactly minded if Irenicus made the extraction process more agonizing and drew screams of pain from the brat. What about Bodhi? At least let her maul Groder's face. As for that matter, while Irenicus does need to be stopped, does Groder really need to be allowed to get his soul back? Why not let the pathetic whelp decay and rot from the lack of a soul the same way the siblings did? If you're thinking of various fates for him, perhaps the same one that Joneleth met? Perhaps have the tanar'ri torture him until he begs for oblivion and being forced to fight in the Blood War for eternity.

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:46 AM

Not commenting on this one…

“How are you feeling my hound?” The bard inquired, there seemed to be actual worry in his voice. “You are the last of us to wake up. As you have undoubtedly noticed they took our weapons but did not bother with the armour. Groder nor your Imoen is with us.”

Err, what could he want from her, I wonder. Because I can’t believe he is actually worried. :roll:

“There may be circumstances of which we are not aware.” She tried and realized that she did not sound very convincing.

Hehe, no – she’d be the first at Yoshimo’s throat, forgetting all about possible circumstances.

“Then let them live.” Yoshimo pleaded. “At least let me take Nalia with me.”

“The mageling?” Irenicus asked. “Do you think that she would come with you after you have delivered them into the hands of their enemy?”

Charm collar? Ask Irenicus to put a geas on her? Now that would surely work. :D

“I could not do otherwise. It is a geas, do you understand?” He said. “I could not disobey on pain of death.”

“You could have told us.” Nalia sniffed and grabbed the bars of the small window. “We could have done something about it.”

I rather believe that one of the conditions of the geas was ‘talk about geas and die painfully’. ;)

“Leave us and hope that we are dead the next time you see us.” Viconia said and narrowed her eyes dangerously. “For if not…”

I guess we will find out. :roll:

“There really is no need to explain.” Irenicus walked up next to the cylinder and began fiddling with the controls. “Bodhi`s war had borne its fruits and provided the engines for my machine, you have foolishly come here and delivered what I want and Yoshimo has done his duty. Everything is as I have planned it.”

You should have also planned to kill the Bhaalspawn after draining their souls. Your planning sucks, Irenicus.

“Bodhi almost killed me you know!” Groder shouted over the din of the machine and the screams of the thieves. “Your sister smashed right through to my ribs!”

Oh deary me. She hit me! She also stole my toys! :D Get over it, child.

“Somewhere out there.” The clone waved a hand daintily in the direction of the walls. “Is the instinct, the blood, Bhaal if you will… we are going to fight it.”

Makes sense that he would not see Imoen helping him in the dream.

“I am the blood, the instinct! I will not be denied! I cannot be denied! You are fuel to feed the return!” It bellowed. Then it noticed the copy. “Your soul, it has taken form from within. There have been others that have defied me, the strong of will, the virtuous and the faithful but you are none of these...” It laughed softly. “You are unique in that which stops me is your hate.”

And hate can be extremely powerful. :|

“We saw a chance and took it, it is what heroes do!” The copy proclaimed and then looked at Groder. “Now wake up, you have killing to do.”

Whee? Is Yoshi on the list?

#5 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:13 AM

It is soul sucking time!

Ah, yes. Though the way the dream ended, mayhap Groder won't have his soul sucked out?

It worked. The entire dream is just some symbol for not dying or something.

Oooh. Terrible pun. But Nalia actually did not suck at all. She was very believable. No grand gestures, just the quiet anger, and a bit of more angry anger... I liked her a lot. Very much in character, I would say! :D

Thanks, hopefully I will be able to keep that up.

Also, I liked Yoshimo, his anger, and his disappointment, and his use of pet name. And how Haer'Dalis was even worried about Jaheira, just a bit...

Good. I had troubles with this chapter.

In the next few chapters Imoen will utilize her brain meats and explain why Groder is younger then her, she will also note that she is part of the worst rescue ever. Also Haer`Dalis and Groder will talk about erotic novels.

:D Will they at least be good erotic novels? Erotic novels from Sigil, mayhap? Featuring succubi and incubi, and aasimars, and solars and-- Err. I'm really looking forward to reading your Imoen! And I'm really, really looking forward to reading anything about Imoen's spawn-hood!

The erotic novels come in after the fight with Irenicus actually. Immy will get her say in the next chapter. I am kind of worried about that too heh...

Also, Haer'Dalis hissing was utterly creepy, and I loved the way Groder wonders why he goes to Candlekeep in his dreams, and I'm wondering why his clone has a short sword, and I loved how Groder did not see Bodhi cowering before Irenicus' anger. And it was funny how you cut the pseudo-metaphysical stuff with "blah, blah, blah". But, beside that, I'm finding it hard not to quote long passages and comment them with 'I liked it'. I think I liked the whole chapter... :roll:

The clone has a short sword because that was Groder´s prefered weapon before Azure Edge (It is actually Stonefire but let´s pretend it´s not).

Again thank you for commenting.

#6 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:22 AM

Though I usually sympathize with the protagonist at this part, I can't exactly bring myself to do so in Groder's case. I wouldn't have exactly minded if Irenicus made the extraction process more agonizing and drew screams of pain from the brat. What about Bodhi? At least let her maul Groder's face. As for that matter, while Irenicus does need to be stopped, does Groder really need to be allowed to get his soul back? Why not let the pathetic whelp decay and rot from the lack of a soul the same way the siblings did? If you're thinking of various fates for him, perhaps the same one that Joneleth met? Perhaps have the tanar'ri torture him until he begs for oblivion and being forced to fight in the Blood War for eternity.

I seem to have managed to create a character that is easily disliked. There is probably some mental trauma for him in the future to tide you over, I promise.

Groder`s end is still a long way off. I have not really decided on how the epilogue to TOB will go yet. :D

#7 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:35 AM

[quote][quote]I hope Nalia does not suck too much.
[/quote]

Not commenting on this one…
[/quote]

:D Heh...

[quote]
[quote]“How are you feeling my hound?” The bard inquired, there seemed to be actual worry in his voice. “You are the last of us to wake up. As you have undoubtedly noticed they took our weapons but did not bother with the armour. Groder nor your Imoen is with us.” [/quote]

Err, what could he want from her, I wonder. Because I can’t believe he is actually worried. :roll:
[/quote]

Just a tiny bit. He doesn´t want the actors of the play to meet oblivion just yet.

[quote]
[quote]“There may be circumstances of which we are not aware.” She tried and realized that she did not sound very convincing. [/quote]

Hehe, no – she’d be the first at Yoshimo’s throat, forgetting all about possible circumstances.
[/quote]

I think I made her a lot calmer then one would expect in the situation.

[quote]
[quote]“Then let them live.” Yoshimo pleaded. “At least let me take Nalia with me.”

[/quote]

Charm collar? Ask Irenicus to put a geas on her? Now that would surely work. :D
[/quote]

I don´t think Yoshimo would actually go that far.

[quote]
[quote]“I could not do otherwise. It is a geas, do you understand?” He said. “I could not disobey on pain of death.”

[quote]“You could have told us.” Nalia sniffed and grabbed the bars of the small window. “We could have done something about it.”
[/quote]

I rather believe that one of the conditions of the geas was ‘talk about geas and die painfully’. :)
[/quote]

Yeah. She is not thinking straight right now.

[quote]
[quote]“Leave us and hope that we are dead the next time you see us.” Viconia said and narrowed her eyes dangerously. “For if not…” [/quote]

I guess we will find out. :|
[/quote]

Yep. I think people are actually going to dislike Groder more after the showdown with Yoshimo.

[quote]
[quote]“There really is no need to explain.” Irenicus walked up next to the cylinder and began fiddling with the controls. “Bodhi`s war had borne its fruits and provided the engines for my machine, you have foolishly come here and delivered what I want and Yoshimo has done his duty. Everything is as I have planned it.” [/quote]

You should have also planned to kill the Bhaalspawn after draining their souls. Your planning sucks, Irenicus.
[/quote]

Irenicus: Bodhi was supposed to kill them! But I guess you should not send the vampire to do the mages work.

[quote]
[quote]“Bodhi almost killed me you know!” Groder shouted over the din of the machine and the screams of the thieves. “Your sister smashed right through to my ribs!” [/quote]

Oh deary me. She hit me! She also stole my toys! :roll: Get over it, child.
[/quote]

:)

He tried a last ditch attempt to distract Irenicus. He failed.

[quote]
[quote]“Somewhere out there.” The clone waved a hand daintily in the direction of the walls. “Is the instinct, the blood, Bhaal if you will… we are going to fight it.”
[/quote]

Makes sense that he would not see Imoen helping him in the dream.
[/quote]

Yeah.

[quote]
[quote]“I am the blood, the instinct! I will not be denied! I cannot be denied! You are fuel to feed the return!” It bellowed. Then it noticed the copy. “Your soul, it has taken form from within. There have been others that have defied me, the strong of will, the virtuous and the faithful but you are none of these...” It laughed softly. “You are unique in that which stops me is your hate.”
[/quote]

And hate can be extremely powerful. ;)
[/quote]

Indeed. The bad kind of power usually follows though.

[quote]
[quote]“We saw a chance and took it, it is what heroes do!” The copy proclaimed and then looked at Groder. “Now wake up, you have killing to do.”[/quote]

Whee? Is Yoshi on the list?[/quote]

Of course he is! At the very top.

But first... the maze. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com