What is it with this Professor?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:22 AM

Ok, so I've got a professor who's convinced I'm in the wrong major.

The course I'm taking is a practicum course. Because of a mix-up with the School, my first two placements facilities wouldn't take me. So it took me a month to get started -- I didn't really get into my site until early march.

This being said, there were assignments due Jan/Feb, that for obvious reasons, I couldn't hand in. I spoke with the prof, and she aggreed to delay them. I have since handed them in as soon as I could.

Now, the field work classes have always been difficult for me. I have a visual imparement, as well as ADD (they think. . . :evil:) and this makes the Practicum difficult.

So it took me a while to figure things out. I knew my mark wasn't going to be great, but I asked my prof two weeks ago, and she said I was at least passing.

I spoke with her today. She now does not acknowledge the change in deadlines, and so refuses to give me marks on the assignments because they were 'late.' She also now claims that I am failing the course due to this. (This a required course for my major, and a preqrequisite for 4th year.) She also is trying to dock me marks for attendance I missed while I was ill. (There are other students who have never/rarely shown up to class, and she is not pursuing them).

I have not recieved -any- information on my marks in written form, and only one element of written feedback in the entire semester, but it does not contain any clue as to my mark.

This change in marks comes about a week after she expressed concern that someone with my disabilities could not handle being in this major, and however politely, :lol: said I should transfer because I could not do it.

THough I do understand some of her concerns/frustrations, this seems . . . well, I don't have a polite word for it, so I'll just shut up. :S

Also, yes, I have a visual imparement. This does make things difficult.

But I know someone in my field who is legally blind and uses a guide dog. When I spoke about some of the adaptive methods he uses in his own placements, she responded simply with that 'it wasn't pratical' or 'it wasn't always an option.'

Gahhh!

*grumble*

#2 Guest_Kelarin_*

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:45 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what's your major?

Anyways I think that if you are willing to do the extra work for it, then you should stick with it. Only be pursuing our dreams can we find them.

It also seems like the teacher is showing favoritism, or in this case discrimination. I'd talk to her about it, or, particularly if you already have, go above her.

In the words of Sir Keldorn Firecam. "Do not be such an ass," Well I don't know her name.

#3 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:20 PM

Music Therapy. :lol:

Anyways I think that if you are willing to do the extra work for it, then you should stick with it. Only be pursuing our dreams can we find them.

:) Thanks.

And yes, I knew going in that it would be hard. I knew that. (Still annoying at times, but. . . :)) *shrug*

It also seems like the teacher is showing favoritism, or in this case discrimination. I'd talk to her about it, or, particularly if you already have, go above her.

I tried talking to her. *sigh* Didn't work.

I'm going to the dean of my department if I do fail the course. (If by chance I pass, I'll take it. If not, I'm going to go talk to the Dean.)

In the words of Sir Keldorn Firecam. "Do not be such an ass," Well I don't know her name.

:evil:

No worries. and thanks. :)

#4 Guest_Kelarin_*

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:26 PM

[quote][quote]If you don't mind me asking, what's your major?[/quote]

Music Therapy. :)[/quote] Yes, indeed?

Okay I have no idea. I'll have to look it up, probably on Wikipedia. I'd guess it has to do with using music as therapy. (Do I get a prize?)

[quote][quote]Anyways I think that if you are willing to do the extra work for it, then you should stick with it. Only be pursuing our dreams can we find them.[/quote]

:) Thanks.

And yes, I knew going in that it would be hard. I knew that. (Still annoying at times, but. . . :P) *shrug*[/quote] Well, for what it's worth, I think you have the strength to push through.

[quote][quote]It also seems like the teacher is showing favoritism, or in this case discrimination. I'd talk to her about it, or, particularly if you already have, go above her.[/quote]

I'm going to the dean of my department if I do fail the course. (If by chance I pass, I'll take it. If not, I'm going to go talk to the Dean.)[/quote] How soon is the end of the course. I wouldn't wait too long. Generally it works best to do with the issue at the time, rather than wait. Things are hidden during the time.

[quote][quote]In the words of Sir Keldorn Firecam. "Do not be such an ass," Well I don't know her name.[/quote]

:lol:

No worries. and thanks. :)[/quote][/quote]Good luck! 8) :D

And give that professor a good :x :evil: for me.

#5 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:11 PM

Music Therapy. :P

Yes, indeed?

Okay I have no idea. I'll have to look it up, probably on Wikipedia. I'd guess it has to do with using music as therapy. (Do I get a prize?)

Pretty much. :D I don't have a prize readily available, though, so I hope virtual chocolate chip cookies are ok. :P

:P Thanks.

And yes, I knew going in that it would be hard. I knew that. (Still annoying at times, but. . . :P) *shrug*

Well, for what it's worth, I think you have the strength to push through.

Thanks. :P

I'm going to the dean of my department if I do fail the course. (If by chance I pass, I'll take it. If not, I'm going to go talk to the Dean.)

How soon is the end of the course. I wouldn't wait too long. Generally it works best to do with the issue at the time, rather than wait. Things are hidden during the time.

All this came up within the last two weeks. The course is -technically-- over come the end of this week. I've arrainged for an extension (in writing :)) but it's still frustrating. *sigh*

:D

No worries. and thanks. :)

Good luck! 8) :D

And give that professor a good :x ;) for me.

:P I will. You're not the first person to say that. :shock:

#6 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:18 PM

"What is it with this Professor?" I'll tell you what I think. I think she has discriminated against you due to your disability--which is ILLEGAL in the US, don't know about Canada--and that you may want to take this further, whether it's to someone of higher rank within her department, administration, or even whatever Provincial agency deals with human rights violations.

Do you have any witnesses to any of your conversation in which the so-called "teacher" mentioned your disabilities? If you can document with locations, dates and times that encounters took place (and a list of others who may have been present when this woman made her discriminatory remarks), that's a good place to start. I also hope you've kept a log about notable events w/r/t the class and registration issues, etc., to refer back to. Record of emails, even to your parents not to worry "because I spoke with Professor DeVille today, and she assured me xxxxxxx"?

It's discrimination when you voice "concern" that someone with a disability doesn't belong in a certain field. I know that when I'm interviewing people for employment at my agency, I am absolutely *not* permitted to mention someone's disability at all. I certainly couldn't tell someone something like, "I don't think you should work in our municipality as an Accountant because of your visual impairment." We'd be sued--rightfully so, I might add--and I'd lose my job and pension!

Please check into it. Please. Don't let the woman get away with her despicable behavior. Goodness knows whether she has preyed on other young people before you.

And good luck!

Ursula

#7 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:55 PM

*sigh* It is illegal.

Unfortunately, there are no witenesses to the conversations. Because it's a field Practicum course, I'm bound by privacy policies as to what I can talk about in front of others relating to the course. I don't even know if I can show my assignments to the Dean of Arts and Social Sciences, to prove that the work was done.

Funny . . . my actually placement supervisor's comments have been a lot more useful -- she's given me advice that I can actually use, and the site's been a great learning experience.

Unfortunately, with what's been happening, I only have partial records . . so I can't dispute everything. I deleted some of my e-mails from early in the course -- since I didn't seem to need them any more, or so I thought *sigh*

Also, a lot of the arraingments I made for the delayed assignments were just speaking with her in class. *sigh*

The one thing i do know I can deal with, should she fail me, is I can get it changed at least to a vouluntary drop. She broke the student by-laws, in not telling me my mark before the last day to drop the classes. :shock: I can probably argue for at least a pass, on top of that, since she told me I was passing, and then my grade mysteriously dropped for a reason I don't know yet.

See. . . unfortunately, she can -- and is -- arguing that she just doesn't remember our conversations. *sigh*

There's also a way to test if she is discriminating against me:

I took a course with her last semster, and got an A+. She said she loved my paperwork.

I have another lecture course with her on almost the same material, next semester. If my mark drops radically . . . I can start to wonder why. :)

I also can see what happens with next year, (during which I will be keeping copies of -everything.-)

*sigh*

#8 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:11 PM

::shrug:: Ultimately it's a decision you have to make for yourself, of course, one you have to live with further down the line. Only you can decide what is best for you.

I don't even know if I can show my assignments to the Dean of Arts and Social Sciences, to prove that the work was done.

This might be something you might want to broach with your placement supervisor, then. Or you can schedule a meeting with the Dean and state that you have copies of these documents and ask whether s/he would be permitted to review them. You may also want to confer with fellow students or past students to ascertain whether they've had something similar happen with her. Oh, but it's easy for me to kibbitz, right?

And you don't have to dispute everything. Again, this would be something that I'd speak with someone from the Human Rights agency. They can give you a feel for the threshold of "proof" that would be required.

The one thing i do know I can deal with, should she fail me, is I can get it changed at least to a vouluntary drop. She broke the student by-laws, in not telling me my mark before the last day to drop the classes. :shock: I can probably argue for at least a pass, on top of that, since she told me I was passing, and then my grade mysteriously dropped for a reason I don't know yet.

Yeah, but if she's done you wrong in everything else, do you really think she won't pretend that she did tell you your grade and try to screw you this way too?

I'm sorry that you have to deal with this on top of the normal rigors of being a college student. Whatever your decision, I hope it is the right one for you. :)

#9 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:30 AM

Yeah, but if she's done you wrong in everything else, do you really think she won't pretend that she did tell you your grade and try to screw you this way too?

That's her problem. I don't have a single thing in writing, and that -is- her responsibilty according to our student laws.

I'm sorry that you have to deal with this on top of the normal rigors of being a college student. Whatever your decision, I hope it is the right one for you. :)

*sigh* I'm hoping for the pass without a fight. I'll still protest on the grounds of it was illegial by student bylaws, though.

#10 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:41 AM

It's discrimination when you voice "concern" that someone with a disability doesn't belong in a certain field. I know that when I'm interviewing people for employment at my agency, I am absolutely *not* permitted to mention someone's disability at all. I certainly couldn't tell someone something like, "I don't think you should work in our municipality as an Accountant because of your visual impairment." We'd be sued--rightfully so, I might add--and I'd lose my job and pension!

So what do you do if someone's disability really would make them unable to do a job, and not just sort of maybe in someone's opinion?

#11 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

So what do you do if someone's disability really would make them unable to do a job, and not just sort of maybe in someone's opinion?

*sigh* Yeah, that's where the problem comes in. She's managed to convince my departement head that is the situation -- my visual imparement and learning disability make me unsuited for the position. (At least that's what I've gathered from the brief talks with my department head.) But I have precident -- there is someone who is legally blind in my field, (he's studying at a different school) and he's managing, so I fail to see the problem.

I've mentioned this to her -- including what I know about the adaptive methods and technology this person uses in session. Her response has been no, you can't do that (for various reasons, all of which are -technically- accutate). *grumble*

As for the actual question. . . that's a good one. I've always believed that with the right accomodations and tricks, -almost- anything's possible. So that situation is( or rather, should be :shock:) relatively rare. I've got a legally blind friend who went into history and wants to be an archeologist. How? She's not sure yet, she's looking into it, and so far it looks like it will be difficult, but possible. :)

But sometimes those adaptive measures are very awkward, time consuming, or expensive, so they're dismissed because of those reasons. Or because they are a horrible stigma to the person in question, so they don't want to do that.

A good example of this is someone who is paralized from the neck down -- they could be a programmer or an accountant, if they could move their eyes and had access to the right software -- which tracks and responds to eye moments, similar to a mouse. But that software is exceptionally expensive, and very finicky in regards to what programs and systems it will work with.

*sigh* It's really just a can of worms, in all honesty, and drawing that line. . . I don't think anyone's up to it except the person in question. They're the one who should know their own abilities, and know what they can do, what they need help doing, and what is simply beyond them. *sigh*

Don't mind me ranting. ;)

#12 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

my visual imparement and learning disability

You certainly can't be blamed for lack of spirit and effort, coping with both.

What if there was some situation where it would be akin to a contradiction that a person with some specific disability could do a job? Something in the lines of a legless person applying for a sprinter? Would it still be illegal discrimination to point that out? And what if there was some job where above-average X was required, and someone X-impaired would apply for it? Would people just get around that by saying that they're not above average, or would that be illegal too?

#13 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

Whoops, double post. Stupid computer. . . *sigh*

#14 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:37 PM

:shock: Thanks. :lol:

My visual imparement isn't that severe -- I use low-level magnification for some reading and computer use. (or just work close to the screen). I'm not considered legally blind.

I have more 'fun' :cry: :D with the fact that I have no depth perception, and experience severe distortion effects with light sources -- giant halos around light sources, severe headaches from some computer programs that use a white background, -- fun things like that.

I also have difficulties with contrast, so a chalkboard is a pain because I can't see it until I am right up close.

What if there was some situation where it would be akin to a contradiction that a person with some specific disability could do a job? Something in the lines of a legless person applying for a sprinter? Would it still be illegal discrimination to point that out? And what if there was some job where above-average X was required, and someone X-impaired would apply for it? Would people just get around that by saying that they're not above average, or would that be illegal too?

See, I don't know. .. . I suppose that one could make a case for it being discrimination, (technically) but it could also fall under the idea of a physical job requirement. (same that Firefighters and Police Officers have to fulfull.)

I don't know. My personal opinion is if the person thinks they can do it, at least give them the chance to try. They might just surprise you with how they adapt to the situation. (such things as playing the piano with your toes comes to mind :P). I, personally, would run them through a trial situation and judge their preformance against whatever standards were set; seeing if they could adapt. (though such a trial might not be possible in all situations.)

*shrug* That's just my thought on the matter. I do think it has to be handled by each specific case, though, too.

#15 Guest_IronDragon_*

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:02 PM

You need to continue up the ladder.

Not getting anywhere with the department head. Go to the dean of students. Road blocked there, the president of the college.

You advisor should be able to tell you exactly who is next in line and should be acting as an advocate for you.

and never …ever…be afraid to use the word lawyer

#16 Guest_IronDragon_*

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

*sigh* It is illegal.

Unfortunately, there are no witenesses to the conversations. Because it's a field Practicum course, I'm bound by privacy policies as to what I can talk about in front of others relating to the course. I don't even know if I can show my assignments to the Dean of Arts and Social Sciences, to prove that the work was done.

Yes you can do exactly that.

The confidentiality relates to your supervision and is part of the school contract with the facility you are conducting your practicum at. This is the same thing that allows you to discuss your work with your instructor. If residual concerns about confidentiality remain the name of the individual(s) you have worked with can be removed/blocked out as detailed by your state/province specific laws on the confidentiality.

So march into the deans office and have said assignments ready.

Funny . . . my actually placement supervisor's comments have been a lot more useful -- she's given me advice that I can actually use, and the site's been a great learning experience.

Unfortunately, with what's been happening, I only have partial records . . so I can't dispute everything. I deleted some of my e-mails from early in the course -- since I didn't seem to need them any more, or so I thought *sigh*

The point here is that she not only provided you with the assignments, she accepted them. One should not have to save everything in order to protect oneself from potential discrimination. (Say that to the dean He/She will no doubt agree.)

Also, a lot of the arraingments I made for the delayed assignments were just speaking with her in class. *sigh*

See. . . unfortunately, she can -- and is -- arguing that she just doesn't remember our conversations. *sigh*

However it was HER responsibly to notify you in writing (yes in writing) of the fact you were failing.

I also can see what happens with next year, (during which I will be keeping copies of -everything.-)

*sigh*

No. you do not wait for next year you resolve this NOW. go up that ladder and start looking for a good pro-boo lawyer. You don’t need one…just the threat of one

I am certain the administration will become quite amicable if you ask them point blank if this issue can be resolved or if you need to bring legal representation.

#17 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:35 AM

Does your institution have a student legal service? Or a guild of students? If so, consult with these groups regarding your rights. Just being able to say to the head of course that you are informed of your rights (in a true legal sense) may press them to reconsider their stance.

Also, I would hammer the lack of written feedback. How can you improve as a student if no clear information is given about where you need improvement. You could make a herculean effort in the 'wrong' direction and find you still fail.

Bureaucracy can be crushing to the spirit. Keep us informed as to what happens next - I pray your efforts will be blessed. :shock:

#18 Guest_Etak_*

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:10 AM

*randomly appears*

If there is a bona fide reason why person X can't do the job (like a blind guy applying to be a bus driver) or if making the accomodations would cause the employer undue hardship (if stuff is just too bloody expensive), then they can refuse to hire someone on account of their disability.

At least, this is how it is in Canada. Reason why I'm going to work for a very large accounting firm...so they can buy me the magnification/screen reading software I need. :shock:

(Hey, look! I actually remember stuff from my Human Resources class. :cry: )

---Etak

#19 Weyoun

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:12 PM

Ok, so I've got a professor who's convinced I'm in the wrong major.

Well, if there's one thing I've learned while at Uni, it's that there's a lot of ego travelling around in the academic world. More than anyone bargained for, actually.

As a student, you do have rights. Seriously, higher education makes you pay through the nose for the privilage of following these classes, so you should have the right to demand proper treatment. If you weren't placed according to the deadline for practicum due to a mix up at the school, then it's the school's fault and not yours, and you shouldn't be punished for it. That is enough reason already to talk to your dean, imo.

As a thought for the future, I can only suggest that if you strike a deal with your professor about important things like deadlines or somesuch, is that you ask your professor to put it in writing. Even if the man/woman seems like the nicest person in the world, it's wise to do so. You'll have some form of proof in the future if things go sour.

From what I've read here, your professor is acting unprofessionally by judging you unfairly, not given you written feedback and generally singling you out because of a (perceived dibilitating) disability. I think it's definitely time to visit your dean, but you have to go in well-prepared.
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#20 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

Does your institution have a student legal service? Or a guild of students? If so, consult with these groups regarding your rights. Just being able to say to the head of course that you are informed of your rights (in a true legal sense) may press them to reconsider their stance.

Yes, we've got a Student Alliance, who I'm also talking to. :twisted:

Also, I would hammer the lack of written feedback. How can you improve as a student if no clear information is given about where you need improvement. You could make a herculean effort in the 'wrong' direction and find you still fail.

That's actually specifically against our student bylaws -- we're required to have written feedback on 20% of our mark before the final drop date. (which is long since passed).

Bureaucracy can be crushing to the spirit. Keep us informed as to what happens next - I pray your efforts will be blessed. :lol:

I get to see what happens. :lol:

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com