Beloved Child 32

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:09 PM

This chapter is a bit shorter then usual. I am trying to write a conversation between Jaheira and Viconia concerning Groder but it is going so-so… There may not actually be a chapter next week.

It became a chore to keep writing “beings” and “creatures” so I began using the creatures names: Ghôl. (From Bungies "Myth" series)

But please enjoy this chapter.

Beloved Child 32

Groder was thrown off his feet by the blast wave and then showered with dirt. He groaned inwardly as he grabbed for his axe and got up. The boy quickly had to raise Azure Edge to ward of a blow from one of the creatures. His body shook with each powerful blow that landed on the axe’s blade and he was forced to keep backing up. Around him the chaos raged on. Yoshimo had managed to position himself between Nalia whom was half lying in the ground and an advancing leering Ghôl. As the Kara-Turan fended off a strike, Nalia pulled out her short sword and then darted under the swings and buried her blade in the creature’s stomach.

Haer`Dalis danced around a large, scarred Ghôl that had a hard time keeping up with the nimble bard until Haer`Dalis once more danced in to strike, the creature quickly swung its arms outwards and managed to strike Haer`Dalises face. The bard lost his balanced and fell to the dusty ground. Before the Ghôl could act on the opportunity however, Valygar fell upon it and cleanly cut of its head. Haer`Dalis quickly got off the ground and nodded his thanks.

Viconia summoned up a glowing stone and flung it at one of the Ghôls. The creature reacted faster then the Drow had anticipated and swatted the stone away with its blade. It did not have time to stop Jaheira`s staff from smashing down on its head and exhaled one final breath before falling down. Another Ghôl barrelled out from one of the tents near Viconia and headed for the cleric. It had circled around behind the tents to head for the party’s flank. Swinging its blade in a wide arc the Ghôl tore a gash in Viconias left arm. The Drow yelled and spun away from her attacker. She crashed into Groder whom was still backing away from the Ghôl that was bearing down on him. The boy and the Drow stood back to back, caught between the menacing Ghôl`s.

The large white Ghôl that seemed to act as the leader had charged Korgan and was using its cleaver as an axe and tried to split the dwarf’s tower shield. Korgan kept pushing back the Ghôl with the shield and delivered blows when the creature staggered back. The Ghôl bled from several wounds but renewed its attacks.

Valygar aided Nalia and Yoshimo in disposing of another Ghôl that they sent flying into the howling darkness that surrounded the plateau. Free from any entanglements, the bounty hunter and the mage readied their bows. Jaheira and Haer`Dalis flanked the Ghôls menacing Viconia and Groder; the four quickly felled the two creatures. Korgan delivered the final blows to the white Ghôl and when it fell, the battle was finally over.

Jaheira held up one of the creatures blades. “Despite their animal like looks and behaviour theses creatures were intelligent enough to both forge weapons, ones designed with the purpose of hacking limbs in mind and make those exploding bags.” She tossed the blade to the ground. ”If Korgan had not raised their ire so much I wonder if we would have survived.”

Viconia leaned against a tent pole and breathed heavily. She had wrapped some cloth around her wounded arm.

“We were saved because they hated dwarfs; let us hope more of our enemies feel the same way.” She said.

“Shut up drow!” Korgan spat as he wiped his axe on a dead haflings clothes.

Groder sat on a rock and looked around, surveying the scene.

“Did we find anything useful?” He asked.

Nalia held up a pair of gauntlets she had pulled of one of the dead Halflings.

“I think these are a pair of magical gloves.” She said. “I think there is some kind of strength enchantment on them.”

“So we could sell them?” The boy asked and got of the rock. He began dusting off his pants and then went on to drag a hand through his hair. “Damn dust.” He muttered.

“Maybe.” Jaheira said and took the gloves from Nalia. “We should keep them as they could be useful to us instead of selling them.”

“We better get something out of this…” Groder responded.

“Aye!” Korgan yelled.

Jaheira shook her head and placed the gauntlets in her pack. There was little else to be found among the dead Halflings and their camp so the group moved on. In the dome that the dust path led to, the floor was covered with water that ran down the walls in steady streams. The water seemed to have no specific origin but it had managed to sabotage the machines in the room. Large tubes that held parts of Golems were cracked and the machinery covered in rust. A few Golems sat here and there like tossed away children’s toys. Apart from the machine and the water, the room was dominated by a large half-moon shaped desk on which were left tools, pieces of Golems and stacks of books. Groder managed to find a few books that were not damaged by the water.

“These look to be instructions for making golems.” He said and held up one. “Can we sell these?” Groder then asked Jaheira.

“For Silvanus sake, just take them with you.” The druid sighed.

“I will.” Groder responded and put the books in his own pack.

They continued on with Nalia and Yoshimo in the lead looking for traps after Groder almost got his legs cut off by a pair of spinning blades. The boy made sure to stay behind a few party members after that. The next dome was clad in purple and gold. It held a large mirror with a plush sofa in front of it and against the far wall stood a great wooden wheel. To each of its spokes a skeleton was tied and on it was craved:

“Each who lives owes me and each will pay their dues when I have turned around.”

Haer`Dalis took a great interest in the wheel and inspected it closely, touching the surface and tracing the words etched into it with a finger. Groder sat down in the sofa in front of the mirror but was pulled off it by Jaheira.

“Maybe we should not touch things that may be dangerous.” Then she turned and yelled at Haer`Dalis. “That goes for you too!”

The bard stopped touching the wheel and responded.

“Yes, mother!”

The rest of the party smiled and Viconia smirked making clawing motions in the air behind Jaheria. The Druid put her hands on her hips and stated.

“Fine, just don’t cry to me when you lose a hand.”

“We have more then one healer you know.” Groder said and sat back down in the sofa. After waiting a while the party more or less gathered around the sofa. Nothing happened.

“This place is absurd.” Groder finally said.

“Do we have to toy with all this magic?” Valygar rumbled and stalked away.

“He is right; there is no reason for us to wait around here.” Jaheira said.

Said and done, the party moved towards to exit that lead slightly north-east. Korgan caught up with Groder in the back.

“Which one of ye is the leader anyways?” He asked. “The tree-hugger is spouting orders like she is used tae it.”

“Well, it is sort of complicated.” Groder said.

The dwarf raised a shaggy, half-grey eyebrow.

“Aye, I bet it is.” He laughed.

Groder shrugged.

“She can be in charge for awhile, at least until the worst parts of this bloody sphere is over.”

“Ah, ye figure that if something bad happens she takes the blame or better yet be in front of it.” The dwarf laughed again. “Ye remind me of some of me cousins, Ha!”

The small dome they entered next held a lush garden. The grass was short and neat, kept so by whatever magic that also provided the plants with the life giving light and water. The group moved carefully through the underbrush and soon arrived in clearing that dominated the room. It was encircled by trees with hanging branches. Valygar returned from his look around and reported.

“There is no wildlife and only one more exit.” The ranger said. “I think this place would be good to set up camp for a while.”

Tolgerias massaged the bridge of his nose. He and Anya, a half-elven enforcer had managed to sneak into the sphere when it was opened. Invisibility was so useful sometimes. Now they stood in a large round room which was supposed to lead to the power core of the sphere. At least that was what the runes in the rooms above said. Their way into the engines were blocked by a rather nasty Bone Golem and the mage needed time to figure out how to deal with it and then of course there was the revenant.

“Mightiest empire… hey! Are you even listening to me?!”

Tolgerias turned and looked at the hovering form, they had run into it above and after that it had followed them, talking all the way or shouting was more like it. And it didn’t stop talking either but went on and on about its mighty empire, Ter… something or other. Now the revenant was pointing at him with a long clawed finger. The sickly bloodshot eyes teemed with rage. They were the only things the mage could see of the apparitions face. The rest was covered in some sort of almost coffin shaped helmet. At this point Anya pushed some of her red hair back and her slightly pointed ears showed. When the revenant saw this it pointed at Anya’s ears and then at Tolegrias and howled.

“You truck with Aliens! Deviant!” The thing raged. “I shall exterminate you!”

The revenant pushed a clawed hand through the mages chest. Tolgerias experienced a tingling, cold sensation as the hand passed through him harmlessly. The revenant stared a while at its arm going with out effect through the man’s chest.

“Blast it!” It shouted and pulled its arm back. “If I was corporeal you would not be so lucky!"

Tolgerias massaged his temples, he had already tried blasting the thing out of existence but that hadn’t worked. It would cause both of them to go insane before those adventurers got here. Then suddenly the revenant began fading in and out of existence. The mage thought that finally all those prayers paid off. The revenant stared at its own fading hands and howled in triumph.

“I knew it! They are bringing me back; I am coming for you Nemesis!”

The last word became a long scream as the thing finally popped out of reality. Tolgerias sighed and looked at Anya whom was giving him a look that said: What was all that about.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:03 PM

This chapter is a bit shorter then usual. I am trying to write a conversation between Jaheira and Viconia concerning Groder but it is going so-so… There may not actually be a chapter next week.

Bah, I thought you said you had a huge backlog of written chapters? :P

It became a chore to keep writing “beings” and “creatures” so I began using the creatures names: Ghôl. (From Bungies "Myth" series)

Are they a kind of ghoul, maybe? ;)

Valygar aided Nalia and Yoshimo in disposing of another Ghôl that they sent flying into the howling darkness that surrounded the plateau. Free from any entanglements, the bounty hunter and the mage readied their bows. Jaheira and Haer`Dalis flanked the Ghôls menacing Viconia and Groder; the four quickly felled the two creatures. Korgan delivered the final blows to the white Ghôl and when it fell, the battle was finally over.

Nice fast paced action sequence, well done there. :)

“We were saved because they hated dwarfs; let us hope more of our enemies feel the same way.” She said.

Unless they kill him easily and then kick you too for associating with the dwarf. ;)

“Maybe.” Jaheira said and took the gloves from Nalia. “We should keep them as they could be useful to us instead of selling them.”

Yeah, most of the times just sold those, there were quite a few nice strength girdles in the game. :)

“Maybe we should not touch things that may be dangerous.” Then she turned and yelled at Haer`Dalis. “That goes for you too!”

I am sure he thinks he knows what he’s doing. :roll:

The rest of the party smiled and Viconia smirked making clawing motions in the air behind Jaheria. The Druid put her hands on her hips and stated.

Jaheira doesn’t exactly have a lot of friends in this party. :?

“Which one of ye is the leader anyways?” He asked. “The tree-hugger is spouting orders like she is used tae it.”

Would you rather take orders from a kid who doesn’t know what he’s doing most of the time?

“Ah, ye figure that if something bad happens she takes the blame or better yet be in front of it.” The dwarf laughed again. “Ye remind me of some of me cousins, Ha!”

I would think that Korgan would have no respect at all for Groder after this.

Tolgerias turned and looked at the hovering form, they had run into it above and after that it had followed them, talking all the way or shouting was more like it. And it didn’t stop talking either but went on and on about its mighty empire, Ter… something or other. Now the revenant was pointing at him with a long clawed finger. The sickly bloodshot eyes teemed with rage. They were the only things the mage could see of the apparitions face. The rest was covered in some sort of almost coffin shaped helmet. At this point Anya pushed some of her red hair back and her slightly pointed ears showed. When the revenant saw this it pointed at Anya’s ears and then at Tolegrias and howled.

I am sure this is a reference to… something. :P

#3 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:33 AM

Bah, I thought you said you had a huge backlog of written chapters? :P

Yaah, I "had". Now I have run out. ;)

Are they a kind of ghoul, maybe? ;)

Maybe, I don`t remember fully. I don`t think they are undead though.

Nice fast paced action sequence, well done there. :)

Thank you, comments on the fight scenes are always wanted. :)

Unless they kill him easily and then kick you too for associating with the dwarf. ;)

Viconia: We would strike while they were busy with the dwarf!

Yeah, most of the times just sold those, there were quite a few nice strength girdles in the game. :)

Yep, They may find one or two of them. I am not a fan of "phat loot".

I am sure he thinks he knows what he’s doing. :shock:

Both of them are! ;)

Jaheira doesn’t exactly have a lot of friends in this party. :P

She has Nalia and Imoen will even things out later. There is also Viconia...

Would you rather take orders from a kid who doesn’t know what he’s doing most of the time?

I don`t think he likes taking orders from anyone. :?

I would think that Korgan would have no respect at all for Groder after this.

He likes the "tossing people infront of traps" thing. ;)

Groder will rise in his regard again eventually.

I am sure this is a reference to… something. :P

An old 2000AD comic called Nemesis. The revenant is the insane ruler of earth: Torquemada, as he appears after an accident with a teleporter.

Right before his accident he bravely rescued himself from man-eating airplanes by leaving a mother and her baby behind with the reason that he was so much more important then her and the baby.

#4 Guest_Ananke_*

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:50 AM

If I may give a bit of advice? That's precisely the kind of situation where Haer'Dalis' planar origins and high lore come into play! Kareya had no idea what the githyanki were before he told her. ;)

I mean, given that he's no use fighting:

the creature quickly swung its arms outwards and managed to strike Haer`Dalises face. The bard lost his balanced and fell to the dusty ground.

he might prove of slightest use to the group before Viccy and Jaheira kick him out. ;)

Korgan delivered the final blows to the white Ghôl and when it fell, the battle was finally over.

And what a glorious battle that was! H'D should devote it at least one whole stanza in his coming epic. :shock: (seriously, loved it)

“Each who lives owes me and each will pay their dues when I have turned around.”

I sense that it's a reference, but to what... no idea.

The rest of the party smiled and Viconia smirked making clawing motions in the air behind Jaheria.

Methinks that after they find Imoen, Jaheira and she'll part their ways from the group, with no warm feelings lost... (And if they don't, then I'm wondering just with what excuse you'll come up! ;))

You're so pathetic, Korgan. (In other words, great job! You're making me hate him almost as much as I hate him in the game. But I'd love him to die a really bloody death, really soon.)

The last word became a long scream as the thing finally popped out of reality. Tolgerias sighed and looked at Anya whom was giving him a look that said: What was all that about.

Ditto. ;) (I read your reply to Theodur's post, though, so I'm happily spoiled.)

(It's who, by the way. Just like earlier, "himself between Nalia whom was half lying " should be "who".)

I liked the chapter - especially Jaheira-the-mother and the opening fight - although, to tell the truth, the references I don't know took a bit from the enjoyment. ;)

#5 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

If I may give a bit of advice? That's precisely the kind of situation where Haer'Dalis' planar origins and high lore come into play! Kareya had no idea what the githyanki were before he told her. :)

The world they come from may be a bit too distant for even Haer. He would love the desolation and desperation of that world though.

I mean, given that he's no use fighting:

the creature quickly swung its arms outwards and managed to strike Haer`Dalises face. The bard lost his balanced and fell to the dusty ground.

he might prove of slightest use to the group before Viccy and Jaheira kick him out. :P

Aw... he has been a bit useful. ;)

Korgan delivered the final blows to the white Ghôl and when it fell, the battle was finally over.

And what a glorious battle that was! H'D should devote it at least one whole stanza in his coming epic. :shock: (seriously, loved it)

Thank you!

I sense that it's a reference, but to what... no idea.

Actually it was just something that popped into my head. A slight reference to the Tarot card "wheel of fortune" or The Dark Tower concept of "Ka".

The rest of the party smiled and Viconia smirked making clawing motions in the air behind Jaheria.

Methinks that after they find Imoen, Jaheira and she'll part their ways from the group, with no warm feelings lost... (And if they don't, then I'm wondering just with what excuse you'll come up! ;))

Well, I do hope it will be belivable. :)

You're so pathetic, Korgan. (In other words, great job! You're making me hate him almost as much as I hate him in the game. But I'd love him to die a really bloody death, really soon.)

Thank you but you will have to tolerate Korgan for a few more chapters. ;)

Ditto. ;) (I read your reply to Theodur's post, though, so I'm happily spoiled.)

Righto! ;)

(It's who, by the way. Just like earlier, "himself between Nalia whom was half lying " should be "who".)

Curses! Foiled by grammar again.

I liked the chapter - especially Jaheira-the-mother and the opening fight - although, to tell the truth, the references I don't know took a bit from the enjoyment. :)

Thank you and there will be fewer of the references in the coming chapters. I don`t think this arc will be very long to be honest.

#6 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:07 PM

“I think these are a pair of magical gloves.” She said. “I think there is some kind of strength enchantment on them.”

“So we could sell them?” The boy asked and got of the rock. He began dusting off his pants and then went on to drag a hand through his hair. “Damn dust.” He muttered.

“These look to be instructions for making golems.” He said and held up one. “Can we sell these?” Groder then asked Jaheira.

One track mind, eh? ;)

Haer`Dalis took a great interest in the wheel and inspected it closely, touching the surface and tracing the words etched into it with a finger. Groder sat down in the sofa in front of the mirror but was pulled off it by Jaheira.

“Yes, mother!”

Jaheira's such a spoilsport.

:shock:

I really can't stand Korgan. I tried putting him in an evil party I made once, and had to boot him not long after finishing his quest as he was too aggravating to have around. Even Jan is more tolerable!

Tolgerias massaged the bridge of his nose. He and Anya, a half-elven enforcer had managed to sneak into the sphere when it was opened. Invisibility was so useful sometimes. Now they stood in a large round room which was supposed to lead to the power core of the sphere. At least that was what the runes in the rooms above said. Their way into the engines were blocked by a rather nasty Bone Golem and the mage needed time to figure out how to deal with it and then of course there was the revenant.

I remember those golems. I remember them very well.

Like others, I read other comments to figure out what the hell this was about ;)

I'm enjoying your sphere arc so far ;)

#7 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 24 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

[quote][quote]

[/quote]

One track mind, eh? ;)
[/quote]

Yep, they need to get money from somewhere, Groder is just looking out for that.

[quote]
[quote]

“Yes, mother!”
[/quote]

Jaheira's such a spoilsport.
[/quote]

Heh. ;)

If she was not around the story would have ended so much earlier... ;)

[quote]
[quote]

[/quote]

:shock:

I really can't stand Korgan. I tried putting him in an evil party I made once, and had to boot him not long after finishing his quest as he was too aggravating to have around. Even Jan is more tolerable!
[/quote]

I never really got around to use him much so I don`t really have any opinons on him. He seems to be disliked however.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

I remember those golems. I remember them very well.
[/quote]

There where not at that place but they are nasty.

[quote]
[quote]

Like others, I read other comments to figure out what the hell this was about ;)
[/quote]

It is pretty obscure. The entire thing just popped into my head and into the story it went.

[quote]
I'm enjoying your sphere arc so far ;)[/quote]

Thank you, I think it may be over pretty soon though.

#8 Guest_Scavenger_*

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:59 AM

Viconia leaned against a tent pole and breathed heavily. She had wrapped some cloth around her wounded arm.

I don't know about dwarfs in general, but hating Korgan would come naturally for many :shock:

Both Jaheira and Viconia could use strength-enhacing items. Especially Viconia, who needs them to wear plate-mail.

Well, at least he remembers that they are not here to simply have some fun.

“Yes, mother!”

While such attitude may be likeable for some party members, it may equally be infuriating for others.

Groder shrugged.

“She can be in charge for awhile, at least until the worst parts of this bloody sphere is over.”

But she literally asks for an axe in the back, no?

Ugh...who is it? I mean, is it from some book/game/movie?

It could be worse ;) They could find something corporeal like Predator.

#9 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:32 PM

I don't know about dwarfs in general, but hating Korgan would come naturally for many ;)

It does seem that way. Poor ol Korgan...

Both Jaheira and Viconia could use strength-enhacing items. Especially Viconia, who needs them to wear plate-mail.

Yep, Jaheira thinks ahead. Vico already has a belt of giant strength.

Well, at least he remembers that they are not here to simply have some fun.

But he will become bothersome when he keeps pestering them. :shock:

“Yes, mother!”

While such attitude may be likeable for some party members, it may equally be infuriating for others.

The problems of such a diverse party.

Groder shrugged.

But she literally asks for an axe in the back, no?

Maybe, Groder knows he can`t take her one on one.

Ugh...who is it? I mean, is it from some book/game/movie?

Torquemada; insane ruler of earth from 2000AD`s "Nemesis". In the comic he became a wraith after being incinerated in a teleporter.

It could be worse ;) They could find something corporeal like Predator.

Yep, that would be bad news. Cool bad news...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com