Ember's Tale 59: Home Again

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:15 PM

"Very well, you have met the requirements to gain entry to our most holy library," Borrin finally told Ember and Imoen. "Please have your less civilized friends refrain from causing trouble. We are very strict with the letter of the law, as you both well know."

Tarant: Yeah... remember guys, it's considered bad manners to eat anyone here.

It's bad manners in most places, to be honest.

"Killing more kobolds than you could ever imagine! Hey, you wouldn't happen to need a few rusty old short swords, would you, because I've got tons," Imoen said.

I always pick up everything at first, but eventually I start leaving the short swords and only picking up the really valuable stuff.

Doesn't everyone do it like that?

Ember knew the spot very well. Gorion had taken a liking to that tree, and he'd often sit in its shade on fine summer evenings, reading or thinking or just enjoying a tranquil moment. "It's the perfect place. Thank you so much," she said with a wobbly voice. Beside her, Imoen reached out and squeezed her hand.

Really, I'd have thought they'd have left him in the crypts with all the other great scholars but the spot they choose does sound nice.

I figure the catacombs are old, really old, and not in use any longer. The current scholars at Candlekeep (in my version, anyway) are buried either in the little tombs or in select spots, and the latter is only because I didn't want to stuff Gorion in a tomb.

As they made their way to the inn, Imoen told their friends all about each and every house they passed. "...and that's Dreppin's farm and that's Phlydia's little house and that's an old tomb and..." she said in a neverending stream of chatter. Ember walked in silence, soaking up the familiar surroundings; she hadn't realized how much she missed home until she was back.

Imoen: Well... make the most of it. May be the last time you ever see the place :wink:

Ember: :D

Aerie: There, there. I miss my home too... only I can't ever go back... I think I just made myself sad :roll:

Imoen: There, there. I understand, I really do.

Haven't your two gals heard that you HAVE to lose your childhood home in order to become a fantasy hero?

"We've been adventuring!" Imoen exclaimed. "There's a world out there and it needs a righteous old kick in the behind every now and again, doesn't it?"

"Spoken with the wisdom of a true fool! By the gods, I love this child!" Winthrop exclaimed, and hugged Imoen again. "Just look at you! Are those mage robes?"

Minsc: Minsc too is moved by little Imoen's words... such wisdom beyond her years.

Minsc can't monopolize ever phrase that combines 'kick' and 'behind', after all :wink:

"Maybe it still works."

"Only one way to find out!" Imoen said. "Nighty night, Em."

"Goodnight, Immy," Ember said. She closed her eyes and let herself listen to the heartbeat of the sea outside as she drifted towards sleep.

Tomorrow would be a busy day.

Awwww... :D

Tarant: Bleh.

What, too sappy for Tarant? :lol:

Great chapter! Shame the good times won't last though... :P

#22 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:23 PM

[quote][quote]"Killing more kobolds than you could ever imagine! Hey, you wouldn't happen to need a few rusty old short swords, would you, because I've got tons," Imoen said.[/quote]

I always pick up everything at first, but eventually I start leaving the short swords and only picking up the really valuable stuff.
[/quote]

Doesn't everyone do it like that?[/quote]

It's only out of necessity though... if I had enough inventory slots I'd probably still pick up everything.

[quote]
[quote]
Aerie: There, there. I miss my home too... only I can't ever go back... I think I just made myself sad :wink:

Imoen: There, there. I understand, I really do.
[/quote]

Haven't your two gals heard that you HAVE to lose your childhood home in order to become a fantasy hero?[/quote]

This is true... most heroes are orphans in some way. I guess because it's an easy way of making sure they don't have any ties or responsibilities at home so they can just go off all around the world doing the heroing thing...

Well, look at the problems Keldorn has with his family.

#23 Arcalian

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:52 AM

Good stuff all around but the most intelligent thing I can say is.....

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com