Ember's Tale 58: Going Home

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:31 AM

Chapter 58: Going Home

The offices of Duke Eltan looked completely different in the late afternoon. The light from the windows was now faint and cold, letting the flickering candles dominate, and the meeting room, the same one they'd been in only a couple days ago, seemed almost too small to hold them all.

Ember and her friends weren't alone with the duke this time; Emissary Tar sat in a large chair in a corner, and the duke's private physician, Rashad, moved slowly around the room, administering a potion here and checking a poultice there. Duke Eltan had summoned him the moment Ember's group arrived, bloodied and bruised, and he had spent the evening tending their wounds. The physician was a quiet and gentle man, with a mop of white hair and a warm smile on his wrinkled, tanned face; it was almost as if a beloved grandfather had come to nurse them back to health.

The duke himself sat in the chair at the head of the table, resting his chin on his folded hands in a comtemplative fashion. "To sum up," he said, "Sarevok's lackeys attempted to murder my emissary, and they more than likely intended to replace her with a doppelganger. We also have a letter from the selfsame Sarevok to his foster father, Rieltar. In this letter, he proclaims that he has killed you, claims that you are Zhentarim agents, and mentions dealings with the bandits in Cloakwood. All in all, I believe we have enough to have him brought in; I will task Scar and Angelo with the matter immediately."

"I think Sarevok put the bounty on Ember," Imoen said. "I mean, we already knew he was Tazok's boss and that Tazok was hiring bounty hunters, and now it sounds like Rieltar doesn't really know why the Throne wants her dead, or they wouldn't be calling us Zhentarims."

"I agree," Kivan said.

"Now, as for Rieltar," the duke said, "we still have no direct evidence against him. What we do know is that he and Brunos are meeting with the heads of some other organization, and that they have chosen Candlekeep for their meeting."

"I don't remember any merchants ever meeting at Candlekeep," Ember said. "It's a place for study, not for business."

"It would be an ideal place for a secret meeting, far from prying eyes," Edwin pointed out. "(Especially with the prohibitively costly entrance fee. Wasting all those books on monks...)"

"Precisely. Whatever the nature of this meeting, I feel it can't bode well for the fortunes of this city," Duke Eltan said.

"I think Thaldorn knows more than nothing about these things," Imoen said, "but I don't suppose these letters are enough to have him questioned, are they?"

"Of course not." The duke sighed heavily. "His name is not on them, and you told me he denied all knowledge of anything, including the trap set by Sarevok's acolytes. The word of a respected merchant against the word of six brutal villains - Thaldorn will, of course, describe you as such - would mean nothing in court. Besides, we still need him. The Seven Suns and the Merchant's League can deliver enough iron to cover the city's basic needs, but if it comes to war with Amn, it will be far from enough. We will still need to be supplied by the Iron Throne."

"I refuse to return to that dreadful place!" Emissary Tar declared.

"I will make arrangements for the negotiations to take place here instead, Emissary. Considering the circumstances of your visit, I am sure Thaldorn will understand." The emissary settled back in her chair in a manner that suggested she was mollified by Duke Eltan's solution, but only slightly so.

"And what about Rieltar?" Kivan asked.

"Boo wonders also!" Minsc said. "Because even if he is not hunting for Minsc's witch, he is still an evil man!"

"I have not forgotten about him, my friends," the duke said. "I think the best course of action would be to follow him and Brunos to Candlekeep and learn what they're doing there. Will you do this? With two natives of Candlekeep amongst you, there are none better suited for such a task."

"When do you want us to go?" Ember asked. Duke Eltan's request was just what she'd been hoping for ever since Imoen found the letter about the meeting.

"As soon as possible; I fear there is no time to waste. Tomorrow morning, preferably."

"I am afraid I must object," Rashad said. "Do you not see how weary they are, mylord? They should all have at least a day or two of rest before embarking upon such a mission, in order to recover properly."

"I never said I'd send them on foot, Rashad."

"It is also strenuous to travel on a horse's back, mylord."

"I cannot ride. The horses, too big they are!" Alora said quietly.

"Other travel arrangements can be made," the duke said. "Will a carriage suffice?"

"It will do," Ember said. "We'll be ready to leave in the morning."

---

That night, Ember lay awake, mulling over the events of the day. Imoen was fast asleep in the other bed; she and Edwin had spent the evening scrutinizing the tome the duke had given them for their entrance fee, and Imoen had nodded off moments of resting her head on her pillow. Ember wished she could have done the same as easily. They would set out for Candlekeep shortly after dawn, riding as passengers on a heavily guarded caravan until they reached the crossroads where the Lion's Way met the Sword Coast Road, and they'd only walk on that last stretch. It'd be a long and tiring trip, even in a carriage, and Ember knew she needed as much rest as she could get.

How many nights had she lain awake like this while Imoen slept?

She felt foolish for being so surprised when the bloodlust had come over her again during the fight in the Iron Throne tower. She should have known it'd happen sooner or later; she was still essentially the same person as she was before she'd taken druidic vows. Nothing had been removed from her. It's not about altering things, it's about understanding things so I can alter them myself. Just like I did today, she told herself. I didn't let it guide me. That was what she would do, then; she could recognize the bloodlust when it came, and she knew it for what it was. She would learn how to rein it in. Balance the inner world as well as the outer, she thought with a small smile.

Her smile faded as her thoughts turned to Sarevok's acolytes. Their words before the fight, and the looks on their faces, had deeply disturbed her. According to Imoen and Alora, the regular Iron Throne guards were scared of Sarevok's little group of mercenaries, and it had been easy to see why; there had been a fanatical gleam in their eyes, and they had acted almost like some kind of cultists. What kind of man could invoke such a response from his men? The image of a large man in spiked armor appeared in her mind, and she shivered.

The one bright point in all this was that it at least implied that a single man wanted her dead, not an entire organization.

What would it be like to return to Candlekeep? So much had changed since she and Imoen left; had that place changed as well? Or would it still be full of quiet scholars and sleepy guards? Winthrop would be pleased to see Imoen again, at least. Ember wondered if her friend had even said goodbye to the old innkeeper. Dreppin would be happy to see them too, as would Tethtoril. Phlydia would probably not even have noticed they'd been away; Ember could hear her now, asking them if they'd seen any of her misplaced books lately. Karan and Parda would be proud of them, though; at least, so she hoped. And just wait till they all found out that Immy had become a mage!

With her mind filled with pleasant thoughts of her old home, Ember finally dozed off.

As she drifted into sleep, the thoughts became images, and a vision of Candlekeep came into view before her. She found herself moving towards the keep, and soon, she was passing through the gates, which reached to the heavens and were the largest doors she'd ever seen. Someone was walking beside her, holding her hand; Ember looked up and saw Gorion's familiar grizzled face. It was then that Ember realized she was a child again, only a few seasons old.

Gorion was walking so fast! She had to run to keep up with him. Or was that because of her short legs? And how old must Gorion have been to have aged as little as he had in her lifetime?

They were inside the keep now, and heading for the library. "Wait here, and be good. I won't be long," Gorion told her, and helped her sit on the broad stone rim of a shallow fountain. Then he went into the library to go to an important meeting with Ulraunt, the Keeper of the Tomes; an important meeting about her. She couldn't remember why it was so important, though, and she settled for drawing patterns in the water with her fingers. Soon, she could hear shouting from inside, just like there had been at their previous stops. She did her best not to listen to any of the words that were being said.

Something dark was reflected in the water. Ember stopped touching the water, and when the surface was still, she saw the reflection of a large raven that was perched on top of a stone wall. It was staring straight at her with huge, black eyes. She stared back at the bird in the mirror of the water; for some reason, she was afraid of raising her head and looking directly at the bird. Its feet were so ugly, she noticed; almost like little skeletal claws. "Look at me," the raven cawed. She shook her head, and focused her attention on the grass and flowers that grew around the fountain instead.

The doors of the library suddenly swung open, and Ulraunt stormed out. He glanced at Ember for a moment, but looked away as he spoke. "You both can stay," he sneered, "but mark my words. That child will be the death of you."

Gorion came out of the library doors. He looked exactly like he had the last time Ember had seen him: dead. She couldn't bear to look at him, and dropped her gaze. Her eyes found the surface of the water; to her relief, the raven was gone. All she saw was her own reflection.

Her eyes were black, just like those of the bird.

"Like father, like child," her reflection said. "You cannot escape."

With a half-choked sob, she woke up. It was still dark outside, Imoen was fast asleep, and Ember was freezing. She sat up in bed and hugged herself, rocking back and forth to try to get some warmth, some life, into her cold body. I am not like that... it is not me, she told herself, over and over. She badly wanted to wake Imoen up, but decided not to; it was better that her friend got some rest. The terror of the dream would let go soon, and if it didn't, then she could wake Imoen.

Soon, the chilled feeling left Ember's limbs, and she relaxed back onto her pillow. She might not get any more sleep, but she'd manage. "I am not my ancestry," she whispered to herself once again, and looked out the window, where faint traces of crimson were appearing in the sky.

She could not shake the horrible feeling that somehow, part of her knew exactly what that raven was talking about.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:14 PM

Ember and her friends weren't alone with the duke this time; Emissary Tar sat in a large chair in a corner, and the duke's private physician, Rashad, moved slowly around the room, administering a potion here and checking a poultice there. Duke Eltan had summoned him the moment Ember's group arrived, bloodied and bruised, and he had spent the evening tending their wounds. The physician was a quiet and gentle man, with a mop of white hair and a warm smile on his wrinkled, tanned face; it was almost as if a beloved grandfather had come to nurse them back to health.

But… he’s a doppelganger! Kill! Err… oh okay, maybe not just yet…

The duke himself sat in the chair at the head of the table, resting his chin on his folded hands in a comtemplative fashion. "To sum up," he said, "Sarevok's lackeys attempted to murder my emissary, and they more than likely intended to replace her with a doppelganger. We also have a letter from the selfsame Sarevok to his foster father, Rieltar. In this letter, he proclaims that he has killed you, claims that you are Zhentarim agents, and mentions dealings with the bandits in Cloakwood. All in all, I believe we have enough to have him brought in; I will task Scar and Angelo with the matter immediately."

Ehehehehe… baaad idea… :)

"Of course not." The duke sighed heavily. "His name is not on them, and you told me he denied all knowledge of anything, including the trap set by Sarevok's acolytes. The word of a respected merchant against the word of six brutal villains - no offense meant - would mean nothing in court. Besides, we still need him. The Seven Suns and the Merchant's League can deliver enough iron to cover the city's basic needs, but if it comes to war with Amn, it will be far from enough. We will still need to be supplied by the Iron Throne."

Unpleasant thought, having to deal with them despite everything.

We all know what the solution for halflings is!

http://www.giantitp....s/oots0140.html

She felt foolish for being so surprised when the bloodlust had come over her again during the fight in the Iron Throne tower. She should have known it'd happen sooner or later; she was still essentially the same person as she was before she'd taken druidic vows. Nothing had been removed from her. It's not about altering things, it's about understanding things so I can alter them myself. Just like I did today, she told herself. I didn't let it guide me. That was what she would do, then; she could recognize the bloodlust when it came, and she knew it for what it was. She would learn how to rein it in. Balance the inner world as well as the outer, she thought with a small smile.

Nice how she can approach it more calmly and rationally now. :)

What would it be like to return to Candlekeep? So much had changed since she and Imoen left; had that place changed as well? Or would it still be full of quiet scholars and sleepy guards? Winthrop would be pleased to see Imoen again, at least. Ember wondered if her friend had even said goodbye to the old innkeeper. Dreppin would be happy to see them too, as would Tethtoril. Phlydia would probably not even have noticed they'd been away; Ember could hear her now, asking them if they'd seen any of her misplaced books lately. Karan and Parda would be proud of them, though; at least, so she hoped. And just wait till they all found out that Immy had become a mage!

With her mind filled with pleasant thoughts of her old home, Ember finally dozed off.

Aww, this will be so cruel on her. :)

The doors of the library suddenly swung open, and Ulraunt stormed out. He glanced at Ember for a moment, but looked away as he spoke. "You both can stay," he sneered, "but mark my words. That child will be the death of you."

I really loved this dream in the game… have to confess that the first few times I didn’t even properly read through it… :)

Gorion came out of the library doors. He looked exactly like he had the last time Ember had seen him: dead. She couldn't bear to look at him, and dropped her gaze. Her eyes found the surface of the water; to her relief, the raven was gone.

Was that Quoth, perchance? :)

Soon, the chilled feeling left Ember's limbs, and she relaxed back onto her pillow. She might not get any more sleep, but she'd manage. "I am not my ancestry," she whispered to herself once again, and looked out the window, where faint traces of crimson were appearing in the sky.

She could not shake the horrible feeling that somehow, part of her knew exactly what that raven was talking about.

Of course it would… :)

#3 Arcalian

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:19 AM

I rather think the healer might still be a Doppleganger.

Nice way of explaining why you get back to Candlekeep so fast.

There are times when I miss BG1.

And times when I remember how burned out I got playing it.
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#4 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:36 AM

I'm guessing this is pre-doppelganger, because that was my first instinct when I saw the name!

"It would be an ideal place for a secret meeting, far from prying eyes," Edwin pointed out. "(Especially with the prohibitively costly entrance fee. Wasting all those books on monks...)"

It's a tragedy, eh Eddie? :)

"Of course not." The duke sighed heavily. "His name is not on them, and you told me he denied all knowledge of anything, including the trap set by Sarevok's acolytes. The word of a respected merchant against the word of six brutal villains - no offense meant - would mean nothing in court. Besides, we still need him. The Seven Suns and the Merchant's League can deliver enough iron to cover the city's basic needs, but if it comes to war with Amn, it will be far from enough. We will still need to be supplied by the Iron Throne."

Gee -- isn't calling Ember and co 'villains' a bit harsh? (Or is he referring to someone else? :))

"I think the best course of action would be to follow them to Candlekeep and learn what they're doing there," the duke said. "Will you do this? With two natives of Candlekeep amongst you, there are none better suited for such a task."

You've justified all of the game content into a story reason so wonderfully well!

I must concur with Theo's remark here :)

Too many :)

The one bright point in all this was that it at least implied that a single man wanted her dead, not an entire organization.

True, true. It's a refreshing way to look at it and would inspire a little bit of hope, perhaps. Though Rieltar's words in Candlekeep seem to give you the opposite impression from what I hazily recall.

This is going to be awfully distressing I think :)

As she drifted into sleep, the thoughts became images, and a vision of Candlekeep came into view before her. She found herself moving towards the keep, and soon, she was passing through the gates, which reached to the heavens and were the largest doors she'd ever seen. Someone was walking beside her, holding her hand; Ember looked up and saw Gorion's familiar grizzled face. It was then that Ember realized she was a child again, only a few seasons old.

This dream was great!

:)

#5 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:50 AM

But… he’s a doppelganger! Kill! Err… oh okay, maybe not just yet…

No, not yet.

Ehehehehe… baaad idea… :)

Basically, this arrest order is what triggers Angelo and the other lackeys into starting their little 'remove obstacles' murder spree, starting with Scar.

Unpleasant thought, having to deal with them despite everything.

I imagine too many leaders have been put in such a situation throughout history.

We all know what the solution for halflings is!

http://www.giantitp....s/oots0140.html

But would Alora stop playing with the doggie for long enough to get anywere?`

Nice how she can approach it more calmly and rationally now. :)

Well, I can't have her have little angst moments and sudden epiphamies whenever things don't work the way she expected them to :)

Aww, this will be so cruel on her. :?

Yes. I am mean.

I really loved this dream in the game… have to confess that the first few times I didn’t even properly read through it… :)

Yeah, there's no obvious gore so it's hard to get derailed by the fact that over half of it is pure memory.

Gorion came out of the library doors. He looked exactly like he had the last time Ember had seen him: dead. She couldn't bear to look at him, and dropped her gaze. Her eyes found the surface of the water; to her relief, the raven was gone.

Was that Quoth, perchance? :)

I doubt Quoth would appreciate the comparison to Bhaal :(

Of course it would… :?

Well, in a chapter or two or three, she'll know for herself :)

#6 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:01 PM

I rather think the healer might still be a Doppleganger.

But would you have thought so if you hadn't known the story already? (And he's not.)

Nice way of explaining why you get back to Candlekeep so fast.

Thanks (I wasn't going to let the Duke make them walk back, especially not after a fight like that!)

There are times when I miss BG1.

And times when I remember how burned out I got playing it.

I'm going to play it today :)

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:36 PM

I'm guessing this is pre-doppelganger, because that was my first instinct when I saw the name!

Yes, pre-doppelganger (although I guess it would have been a nice twist to have a doppelganger attending them at this point :) )

It's a tragedy, eh Eddie? :D

More of a travesty, I think :)

Gee -- isn't calling Ember and co 'villains' a bit harsh? (Or is he referring to someone else? :?)

Thaldorn would see them as hardened, brutish villains, and would describe them as such. I edited to clarify a bit :)

"I think the best course of action would be to follow them to Candlekeep and learn what they're doing there," the duke said. "Will you do this? With two natives of Candlekeep amongst you, there are none better suited for such a task."

You've justified all of the game content into a story reason so wonderfully well!

Thank you :)

I must concur with Theo's remark here :D

I think Alora should have one of those giant German rabbits :)

Too many :(

And no end in sight for a while :?

True, true. It's a refreshing way to look at it and would inspire a little bit of hope, perhaps. Though Rieltar's words in Candlekeep seem to give you the opposite impression from what I hazily recall.

*checks*

Nah. He gets angry and wants to kill you, but that's just because you HAVE, after all, screwed up a lot of his little plans. And if you should mention Koveras, he realizes his foster son is playing him as well.

This is going to be awfully distressing I think :(

It won't be as bad as it could be... but yes.

This dream was great!

Only slightly rewritten :)

#8 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:14 AM

I'm sure they could find some kind of pony for her or something... or just strap her to Minsc's back. :?:

Raven: "One thing you learn real quick is that Immy could sleep through just about anything. I mean, it's cold, you're huddled up in a foxhole. Artillery's going off around your head, people are screaming in panic... and there's Imoen... head resting on your shoulder, out like a light. I... kinda envy the ability, actually."

Harlequin: "Clean living and a cleaner conscience."

Raven: "I guess so."

Ember wondered if her friend had even said goodbye to the old innkeeper. Dreppin would be happy to see them too, as would Tethtoril. Phlydia would probably not even have noticed they'd been away; Ember could hear her now, asking them if they'd seen any of her misplaced books lately. Karan and Parda would be proud of them, though; at least, so she hoped. And just wait till they all found out that Immy had become a mage!

They would be doing all of these things... if most of them weren't dead. :twisted:

Raven: "Our Ulraunt said that, too... and... and he was right." (Sighs) "I try not to think of it this way, but it's hard not to... it's just so hard not to wonder if... if not for me, would he still be alive? Would he have been better off without me around? And people always tell me... they always try and tell me that... that he loved me... and that... and that he wouldn't have had any regrets about the way things turned out." (Shakes her head) "But for those of us who've gone through what we've all gone through... it's not very easy to look at it that way, is it?

#9 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:50 AM

Good chapter! I feel sorry for Ember as she will be finding out that there is not much of her home left. (Unless you have decided not to infest the place with doppelgangers.)

#10 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

I'm sure they could find some kind of pony for her or something... or just strap her to Minsc's back. :)

Or I could refer you to the aforementioned OotS :twisted:

Raven: "One thing you learn real quick is that Immy could sleep through just about anything. I mean, it's cold, you're huddled up in a foxhole. Artillery's going off around your head, people are screaming in panic... and there's Imoen... head resting on your shoulder, out like a light. I... kinda envy the ability, actually."

Harlequin: "Clean living and a cleaner conscience."

Raven: "I guess so."

Something like that.

Ember wondered if her friend had even said goodbye to the old innkeeper. Dreppin would be happy to see them too, as would Tethtoril. Phlydia would probably not even have noticed they'd been away; Ember could hear her now, asking them if they'd seen any of her misplaced books lately. Karan and Parda would be proud of them, though; at least, so she hoped. And just wait till they all found out that Immy had become a mage!

They would be doing all of these things... if most of them weren't dead. :?:

I haven't decided yet how many of them will be dead. I am considering the possibility that the doppelgangers below were just waiting to take on their roles.

Raven: "Our Ulraunt said that, too... and... and he was right." (Sighs) "I try not to think of it this way, but it's hard not to... it's just so hard not to wonder if... if not for me, would he still be alive? Would he have been better off without me around? And people always tell me... they always try and tell me that... that he loved me... and that... and that he wouldn't have had any regrets about the way things turned out." (Shakes her head) "But for those of us who've gone through what we've all gone through... it's not very easy to look at it that way, is it?

The second Candlekeep segment is just designed to build the PC's self esteem, isn't it?

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:54 AM

Good chapter! I feel sorry for Ember as she will be finding out that there is not much of her home left. (Unless you have decided not to infest the place with doppelgangers.)

I haven't decided yet how far the infestation will go, and how much I'll burden Ember with. So there may be doppelgangers above ground, and there may not.

#12 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:59 AM

Imoen: If I sat on his knee would he tell us stories? Please... I don't even know anything about my grandparents.

Tarant: Boohoo. I'm in the same boat you know but you don't see me trying to get piggy back rides off total strangers.

"I will make arrangements for the negotiations to take place here instead, Emissary. Considering the circumstances of your visit, I am sure Thaldorn will understand." The emissary settled back in her chair in a manner that suggested she was mollified by Duke Eltan's solution, but only slightly so.

Tarant: Crying shame they didn't succeed in killing her.

Imoen: Uh-huh. Talk all you want, I know you wouldn't actually want to see an innocent person murdered.

"I never said I'd send them on foot, Rashad."

"Other travel arrangements can be made," the duke said. "Will a carriage suffice?"

I don't think even a carriage is that smooth of a ride... depends on what the roads are like of course. Along most of the sword coast I'd imagine it would be pretty bumpy.

Her smile faded as her thoughts turned to Sarevok's acolytes. Their words before the fight, and the looks on their faces, had deeply disturbed her. According to Imoen and Alora, the regular Iron Throne guards were scared of Sarevok's little group of mercenaries, and it had been easy to see why; there had been a fanatical gleam in their eyes, and they had acted almost like some kind of cultists. What kind of man could invoke such a response from his men? The image of a large man in spiked armor appeared in her mind, and she shivered.

Tarant: Yeah... a single large man with a band of crazed killers behind him.

I was never 100% sure whether Winthrop et al were actually killed and replaced by the doppelgangers... I once assumed that they were because the ones you meet in the catacombs make references to previous interactions with them... although in some cases that would mean they were actually doppelgangers from the very start of the game. Unless doppelgangers can steal a persons memories as well but I'd have to look that up... and I'm probably overthinking this anyway.

Edwin: Another dream... I hate people who talk about their dreams.

They were inside the keep now, and heading for the library. "Wait here, and be good. I won't be long," Gorion told her, and helped her sit on the broad stone rim of a shallow fountain. Then he went into the library to go to an important meeting with Ulraunt, the Keeper of the Tomes; an important meeting about her. She couldn't remember why it was so important, though, and she settled for drawing patterns in the water with her fingers. Soon, she could hear shouting from inside, just like there had been at their previous stops. She did her best not to listen to any of the words that were being said.

Aerie: Awww... such a sweet little girl!

Tarant: Hmph... I bet she spent all her time pulling the wings off flies.

Aerie: You're not going to upset me today. So ;)

Something dark was reflected in the water. Ember stopped touching the water, and when the surface was still, she saw the reflection of a large raven that was perched on top of a stone wall. It was staring straight at her with huge, black eyes. She stared back at the bird in the mirror of the water; for some reason, she was afraid of raising her head and looking directly at the bird. Its feet were so ugly, she noticed; almost like little skeletal claws. "Look at me," the raven cawed. She shook her head, and focused her attention on the grass and flowers that grew around the fountain instead.

Imoen: Why is it always ravens?

Aerie: Hm... well, ravens are generally associated with death in folklore, aren't they?

Jaheira: Not surprising, since they are scavengers. People would have seen them gather over carcasses.

Imoen: Still... why couldn't it have been a woodpecker? Woodpeckers are funny.

Tarant: Only in cartoons.

Aerie: I know s-she's different... inside... still it's a mean thing to say in front of a child.

Imoen: You're right there Aerie. Let's shake our fists to show our disapproval.

Aerie: Grrrr!

Aerie: Well... w-where you come from is always an important part of you. But I don't think it can ever be all you are. You can't allow one thing to define you.

Excellent Chapter!

#13 Guest_Jean_*

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:55 PM

The physician was a quiet and gentle man, with a mop of white hair and a warm smile on his wrinkled, tanned face; it was almost as if a beloved grandfather had come to nurse them back to health.

Nice set up for later.

So they'll be returning to Candlekeep in style!

What kind of man could invoke such a response from his men? The image of a large man in spiked armor appeared in her mind, and she shivered.

It says a lot about the mental powers of the average Cultist that they see a big guy with glowing eyes and spiky armour and think: 'Why yes! He does look like a good choice of leader!"

You aren't, Ember. *hugs*

Thanks for the chapter, Cel! ;)

#14 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

Imoen: If I sat on his knee would he tell us stories? Please... I don't even know anything about my grandparents.

I doubt you'd want to know about some of them.

Tarant: Boohoo. I'm in the same boat you know but you don't see me trying to get piggy back rides off total strangers.

Yeah, you're such a badass.

Tarant: Crying shame they didn't succeed in killing her.

What did she ever do to you?

Imoen: Uh-huh. Talk all you want, I know you wouldn't actually want to see an innocent person murdered.

One hopes not.

I don't think even a carriage is that smooth of a ride... depends on what the roads are like of course. Along most of the sword coast I'd imagine it would be pretty bumpy.

Yeah. But at least it beats walking. And it'll let Edwin and Imoen (mostly Edwin, that is) take down some notes from the History of the Nether Scroll.

Tarant: Yeah... a single large man with a band of crazed killers behind him.

True, but it's easier to imagine reasons for a single person than reasons for a massive cartel.

I was never 100% sure whether Winthrop et al were actually killed and replaced by the doppelgangers... I once assumed that they were because the ones you meet in the catacombs make references to previous interactions with them... although in some cases that would mean they were actually doppelgangers from the very start of the game. Unless doppelgangers can steal a persons memories as well but I'd have to look that up... and I'm probably overthinking this anyway.

It depends upon whether the 'understudies' needed their targets to be dead before they could replace them or if they could practice on people still living. Seeing as Elminster was not dead at the time...

Edwin: Another dream... I hate people who talk about their dreams.

Ember: Don't worry, you're the last person I'd share them with.

Aerie: I know s-she's different... inside... still it's a mean thing to say in front of a child.

That's Ulraunt for you.

Imoen: You're right there Aerie. Let's shake our fists to show our disapproval.

Aerie: Grrrr!

:lol:

Aerie: Well... w-where you come from is always an important part of you. But I don't think it can ever be all you are. You can't allow one thing to define you.

And if she could, I think she'd define herself as "Gorion's foster daughter".

Excellent Chapter!

Thank you :roll:

#15 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

The physician was a quiet and gentle man, with a mop of white hair and a warm smile on his wrinkled, tanned face; it was almost as if a beloved grandfather had come to nurse them back to health.

Nice set up for later.

I randomly decided that if the duke was having someone attending them after the fight, it should be him :roll:

So they'll be returning to Candlekeep in style!

Well, they're only going most of the way in the carriage. The last leg will be on foot, as the caravan they're travelling with doesn't have time for a detour.

What kind of man could invoke such a response from his men? The image of a large man in spiked armor appeared in her mind, and she shivered.

It says a lot about the mental powers of the average Cultist that they see a big guy with glowing eyes and spiky armour and think: 'Why yes! He does look like a good choice of leader!"

Cultists don't tend to be known for their mental powers. And I don't think he tends to go around like that when he's recruiting.

Thanks for the chapter, Cel! :lol:

Thank you :lol:

#16 Guest_Scavenger_*

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:58 PM

Ah, future doppleganger. I was a bit startled by at first his appearance, thinking like "ok, is he going to poison them too?". :lol:

Farewell, Scar. You will certainly be missed. :D

"I think Sarevok put the bounty on Ember," Imoen said. "I mean, we already knew he was Tazok's boss and that Tazok was hiring bounty hunters, and now it sounds like Rieltar doesn't really know why the Throne wants her dead, or they wouldn't be calling us Zhentarims."

He could try to hide true reasons from Sarevok for some reasons, for example. Party still doesn't suspect neither Sarevok's nor Ember's ancestry, right? :lol:

Don't worry, Eddie, you will have an opportunity to steal some books!

"Of course not." The duke sighed heavily. "His name is not on them, and you told me he denied all knowledge of anything, including the trap set by Sarevok's acolytes. The word of a respected merchant against the word of six brutal villains - Thaldorn will, of course, describe you as such - would mean nothing in court. Besides, we still need him. The Seven Suns and the Merchant's League can deliver enough iron to cover the city's basic needs, but if it comes to war with Amn, it will be far from enough. We will still need to be supplied by the Iron Throne."

And that's why paladins would make poor rulers and politicians. Did something like this made Casavir leave Neverwinter?

"I am afraid I must object," Rashad said. "Do you not see how weary they are, mylord? They should all have at least a day or two of rest before embarking upon such a mission, in order to recover properly."

Hmph. He IS going to assassinate them, right?

Comfortable journey at last!

Constant inner struggles in battle are just as fatal as succumbing to bloodlust, methinks ). But with more spells to cast (i.e. more druid's levels) she will be, perhaps, too concentrated on her magic to be influenced by bloodshed.
But image of blood-soaked Ember in bandit's camp was lovely in certain perverted way!

I'd say that it also takes certain kind of men to make true zealots. Not everyone will devout himself to some higher power, especially obviously malevolent. Approximately (from my memory) quoting certain author: "He was weak enough to fear great, inhuman power. But not so weak that he would worship it."

She couldn't remember why it was so important, though, and she settled for drawing patterns in the water with her fingers. Soon, she could hear shouting from inside, just like there had been at their previous stops. She did her best not to listen to any of the words that were being said.

Poor child. Did she hear some words about her in previous places?

With a half-choked sob, she woke up. It was still dark outside, Imoen was fast asleep, and Ember was freezing. She sat up in bed and hugged herself, rocking back and forth to try to get some warmth, some life, into her cold body. I am not like that... it is not me, she told herself, over and over. She badly wanted to wake Imoen up, but decided not to; it was better that her friend got some rest. The terror of the dream would let go soon, and if it didn't, then she could wake Imoen.

Well written, dream almost repeats in-game one, but with all those small details which make it more alive. Anyway I liked BG 1 alignment-depending dreams more than strange BG 2 ones.

She will learn...soon :lol:

#17 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:52 AM

Ah, future doppleganger. I was a bit startled by at first his appearance, thinking like "ok, is he going to poison them too?". :lol:

Yeah, I don't think I managed to convince everyone that he really isn't a doppelganger yet :D

All in all, I believe we have enough to have him brought in; I will task Scar and Angelo with the matter immediately."

Farewell, Scar. You will certainly be missed. :)

I don't get to write him again now :)

He could try to hide true reasons from Sarevok for some reasons, for example. Party still doesn't suspect neither Sarevok's nor Ember's ancestry, right? :D

I've let them know very little about Sarevok so far.

Don't worry, Eddie, you will have an opportunity to steal some books!

I don't really see him as the book stealing type. Book appropriating for extended loans, on the other hand...

And that's why paladins would make poor rulers and politicians. Did something like this made Casavir leave Neverwinter?

Don't ask me, I haven't played the game yet (hubby got it for me for christmas, but I find the movement scheme and perspective a bit disorienting).

Hmph. He IS going to assassinate them, right?

No. He's sincere :D

Comfortable journey at last!

Relatively comfortable, at least :lol:

Constant inner struggles in battle are just as fatal as succumbing to bloodlust, methinks ). But with more spells to cast (i.e. more druid's levels) she will be, perhaps, too concentrated on her magic to be influenced by bloodshed.
But image of blood-soaked Ember in bandit's camp was lovely in certain perverted way!

She'll never be a pacifist or a pure spellcaster, but she will definitely get a grip on herself when it comes to fighting.

I'd say that it also takes certain kind of men to make true zealots. Not everyone will devout himself to some higher power, especially obviously malevolent. Approximately (from my memory) quoting certain author: "He was weak enough to fear great, inhuman power. But not so weak that he would worship it."

That's a pretty good quote. I figure that Sarevok at this stage has the whole gamut from advisors to regular hirelings to madly devoted hirelings.

She couldn't remember why it was so important, though, and she settled for drawing patterns in the water with her fingers. Soon, she could hear shouting from inside, just like there had been at their previous stops. She did her best not to listen to any of the words that were being said.

Poor child. Did she hear some words about her in previous places?

Such as "get out!"? Certainly.

Well written, dream almost repeats in-game one, but with all those small details which make it more alive. Anyway I liked BG 1 alignment-depending dreams more than strange BG 2 ones.

Thank you :lol: The BG 2 dreams are so horror laced and seem more like Irenicus taunting you than like daddy trying to tell you something. And they don't have as nice music. (I just discovered this weekend that the BG1 dream music = ToB external Watcher's Keep music, which is one of my absolute favorite pieces of game music. That's what I get for usually having the music volume turned way low in BG1!)

She will learn...soon :lol:

Currently working on exactly how soon, and how :lol:

#18 Guest_Ananke_*

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:19 PM

Balance the inner world as well as the outer, she thought with a small smile.

Ember's such a... brave, mature young girl. And such a druid. ;)

I loved that (almost) stream-of-consciousness part. So... normal. (See above comment.)

And with that, my head hits table in the quintessential "D'oh!" moment. So that's why Haer'Dalis calls the Bhaalspawn a raven!

Having paused to belatedly admire the small bit of continuity on the part of the games' writers, I now pause to admire the vividness of the dream, and Ember's reaction to it... Not nice, but very, very beautifully written!

Ah. But. Can you tell me. Did something happen to Minsc and I missed it? Because the meeting at Eltan's was strangely... subdued. At first, I thought that it was Rashad's presence, but then I realised that it was strangely lacking in announcements of butt-kicking for goodness and proclamations from Boo...

On the other hand, Kivan got in a line, so perhaps Minsc's absence isn't all that bad... :lol:

#19 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:03 AM

Balance the inner world as well as the outer, she thought with a small smile.

Ember's such a... brave, mature young girl. And such a druid. :roll:

I'm glad she comes across as such :) The last thing I'd want for her is to give her the druid class and then never have her act as such.

I loved that (almost) stream-of-consciousness part. So... normal. (See above comment.)

And with that, my head hits table in the quintessential "D'oh!" moment. So that's why Haer'Dalis calls the Bhaalspawn a raven!

I guess so! :evil:

Having paused to belatedly admire the small bit of continuity on the part of the games' writers, I now pause to admire the vividness of the dream, and Ember's reaction to it... Not nice, but very, very beautifully written!

Thank you :roll: I wasn't satisfied with how it flowed in game, so I altered this dream more than I've done most of the others.

Ah. But. Can you tell me. Did something happen to Minsc and I missed it? Because the meeting at Eltan's was strangely... subdued. At first, I thought that it was Rashad's presence, but then I realised that it was strangely lacking in announcements of butt-kicking for goodness and proclamations from Boo...

I'm not as good as letting everyone get a word in as I should be, so sometimes they are quiet even when they should speak :twisted: Granted, Minsc is nursing a recently broken arm, so I think he is slightly subdued at the moment, but you're right, he should have said something. I think he and Alora suffer the most from lack of lines (Kivan is naturally quiet, after all).

I think I'll see if I can't put him in somewhere...

On the other hand, Kivan got in a line, so perhaps Minsc's absence isn't all that bad... :wink:

:lol:

#20 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:46 PM

Cel,

A great chapter. I like the way the scene with the Duke played out. He seems the able leader, very knowing and very aware of what he can and can't do. The dream sequence was wonderfully chilling. Your use of imagery was wonderfully potent and the last few lines were excellent.

I know I don't comment too often, and when I do, it takes me a while, but I really love this story. It's a great cast, great characters and characterization and always an interesting read.

VH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com