Ember's Tale 56: Abela

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:23 AM

Chapter 56: Abela

A large crowd had assembled outside the Sorcerous Sundries, forming a wide circle around two burnt and charred bodies that lay near the store's doorstep. Ember, Kivan, Minsc and Edwin arrived just as the bodies were being covered with old sheets and laden onto a cart.

"What happened here?" Ember asked.

"That's Arkion and Nemphre, that is!" a peasant woman replied. "They were lovers, once, but it ended badly."

"Aye. They was always fightin'. He said he wanted her ring, an' she said she wanted his amulet," a gruff-voiced man added.

"Love turned to hate, as it were," the woman said.

"They had a duel this mornin', right here in the street," the man said, "an' blew each other up."

"It's such a sad story. I hope they will be at peace now," the woman said.

The man shrugged. "It'll be peaceful around here, at least."

The cart was slowly pulled away by a pair of donkeys, and the crowd began to disperse.

"A shocking waste of talent. You agree, do you not?" a man with a smooth, oddly accented voice asked behind Ember. She turned and found herself face to face with an elderly man with a tanned and wrinkled face, silvery hair, and blood red robes.

"I suppose so," she said. "I did not know them."

"I understand perfectly. You be not from here, after all," the man said. "You and your compatriots be so obviously... well... I just say you no look like farmers or merchants." His accent had strong similarities to Edwin's, Ember noticed; he had to be yet another Red Wizard. She glanced at Edwin, who looked like he had just swallowed something foul-tasting.

"Yes, we have travelled," Ember said lightly.

"Allow me to be introduced. I am Ramazith!" he proclaimed.

He's the one who filled that tavern with green slimes the other day, isn't he? "Pleased to meet you," Ember lied.

"I've a service needing completion, and it require that which I think you have. I reward well. Interested, yes?"

"What is this service?" Ember asked.

"My proposition is thus; I would have you enter into the home of a colleague of mine, and effect the release of a creature he has imprisoned there," Ramazith said. "Ragefast be his name, and he has in his possession one of the most beautiful and useful creatures in all of Faerun. It be a nymph he captured some time ago. I know not what laughable plans he has for her, but I am sure she be more... productive in my care. I would go myself, but none know better how to defend against a wizard than another wizard. This require stealth and guile, or quick blade with muscle behind. You have; I lack. Simple, no?"

A nymph! Ember's mind reeled. She could think of a few reasons why a mage might want to have one, and none of them were pleasant. "Where does this Ragefast live?" she asked.

"Most agreeable!" the mage exclaimed. "Already you show intelligence needed to succeed! You will find Ragefast's home just west of the Hall of Wonders. It is in a small and ugly tower. We meet at my home when you complete your your task, yes? Do not tarry, for I have many plans." Ramazith bowed briefly and scurried off towards his tower.

"Boo does not trust this evil wizard," Minsc said.

"I fear he plans to use the nymph for spell components," Kivan said.

"(Of course he does!)" Edwin muttered.

"We cannot be part of such a deed," Kivan continued.

"We're not going to," Ember said. "We're going to free her from Ragefast." She turned and looked at Edwin. "You know Ramazith, don't you?"

"Why would you think that?" the wizard asked.

"I saw the look on your face. You looked even more upset than you did when we met the Red Wizards at that temple ruin in the forest."

"I was not upset!"

"Edwin, what do you know about Ramazith?"

"Ramazith is... my competitor," the wizard said between clenched teeth. "We have been assigned the same task. He is an inept fool who believes that greater age implies greater competence, and he would go to great lengths to impede my progress if given half a chance."

"And would this task have something to do with why there are so many Red Wizards around in general?" Ember asked.

"I will forgive your impudence in prying," the wizard huffed, "and you will content yourself with knowing that the Red Wizards of Thay are not involved in any of the petty schemes in this region. As for my task, it is a matter of personal advancement. (I swear, she is almost as annoying as Imoen!)"

Ember decided to let the matter lie, and other than Minsc's quiet chatter with Boo about the differences between evil wizards, they made their way across town to the Hall of Wonders in silence. Ragefast's home was easily identifiable; while it wasn't quite as tall as Ramazith's tower, its spire loomed over the surrounding houses. It had whitewashed walls and a thatch roof, and would almost have looked cozy if not for the large mechanical contraption that stuck out of one side of the tower. Ember hesitated outside the door; for all they knew, it could be trapped, and for all they knew, Ramazith might have been lying about the nymph. She was about to suggest that they go find Imoen and Alora before they tried to enter when they heard a pleading female voice through the walls.

"Listen, Boo! A damsel in distress, but not for long now that Minsc and Boo are here! Evil, watch your buttocks, for HERE COMES MY BOOT OF JUSTICE!" Minsc cried as he kicked in the door and stormed into the tower.

The entrance didn't appear to be trapped, and the others followed Minsc into a large chamber with multiple gadgets. A middle-aged mage in golden robes and a stunningly beautiful woman stood in the middle of the room, apparently in the middle of an argument. The woman was dressed in nothing but a gauzy wrap of shimmery blue fabric, and a delicate silver chain, held by the mage, was attached to a collar around her neck. There was a frailness to her beauty, almost as if she were a fine porcelain statue that'd shatter if she were touched, but it was still almost unbearable to look at her.

"What!? What bandit dares enter the home of Ragefast?! Identify your purpose here, that I might know what to put on thy tombstone!" the mage bellowed.

"Minsc and Boo and our Boots of Justice have come to teach you how to be nice to ladies!" Minsc shouted, waving his sword.

Ragefast stepped away from the giant ranger. "What nonsense is this?! Explain yourself!"

"We heard you were holding a nymph captive, and now we see it is true," Ember said. "How dare you commit such an atrocity?"

"No!" the mage shouted. "This wondrous being is my love and life! I would be hers as well, but it takes time! She will grow to care for me, as I her!"

"You do not cage those you care for," Kivan said. "You may break her spirit, and she will serve you, but this is not love."

"She will learn to be happy here!" Ragefast insisted. "We shall grow old together."

"Look unto me, Ragefast," the nymph said. "My beauty fades even now."

"Abela, thy beauty is as brilliant now as the day I found you. Say not such things!" the mage said.

The nymph shook her head. "'Tis flattering, but you are blinded by your passion. Truly see what is become of me. I should not age, but my spirit fades in this ugly place. Yours does as well, but from obsession over me."

"But we were meant for each other! Thy very words had said so!" Ragefast cried.

"In my glade, amidst the stars and moon," Abela said. "'Twas beauty in that, but I cannot be confined with thee. I am not human, and this is not my home."

"But this is MY home..." Ragefast whimpered.

"(Pathetic,)" Edwin muttered. Ember elbowed him.

"Abela will die if you keep her here," Kivan said. "If you truly feel as you do, you must set her free."

The mage slumped dejectedly. "I...it is so. Forgive me Abela, I have been a fool. I release you from my enchantments, and you are free to leave. Please do not think too harshly of me," Ragefast said. He reached for her collar and pulled it from her neck.

The nymph drew a deep breath and stretched as though she'd just woken up. "I am not without fault; 'tis my nature to breed obsession in people. I forgive you," she told the teary-eyed mage. "As for my impromptu saviors, my gratitude is boundless! Please, take a lock of hair to remember me by." Before anyone could object, she took a dagger from a nearby desk and cut off a rich golden lock, which she handed to Ember. The hair was softer than silk, and had a sheen that put all jewelry to shame.

"It will be good to feel the grass beneath my feet once more! I doubt I shall seek the company of man for some time. Goodbye," Abela said with a smile. She kissed Ragefast, cast a spell, and was gone.

"Farewell, my love," Ragefast whispered. He sat heavily down on a chair and collapsed in tears.

"I am sorry, but it had to be done," Ember told Ragefast. She was tempted to give him the lock of hair, but decided not to; he'd probably obsess over that in her stead, and never recover. Instead, she beckoned her companions towards the door. They left quietly, and closed the door behind them.

As they slowly walked back towards the Sorcerous Sundries, Ember coiled the lock of Abela's hair around her hand, and pulled her cloak around her to hide the treasure from would-be thieves. Minsc and Kivan were talking about the nymph, and Edwin kept mentioning new magical items they could make with the lock of hair. However, the wizard seemed distracted; he kept looking at his wands and pulling different ones out of his pack.

"Do you expect trouble from Ramazith?" Ember asked Edwin.

"(What a foolish question.) Of course! Fortunately, he is no match for my intellect."

It was not long before they found the other Red Wizard; when they entered an alley near the spell shop, they saw the mage waiting for them at the far end. "I see that you have returned, yes?" Ramazith said. "You need not say that you have betrayed me, for I scrye and spy! Certainly you are foolish to have come here after breaking our deal! I have many spells waiting for parts of nymph, and will be a long time looking for another. An expensive delay you have cost me, and compensation be from your hide!"

"In case you didn't notice, I never actually said we'd help you," Ember said.

"Fools! But what else to expect!" Ramazith growled. He raised his hands, shouted a few syllables, and a cloud of noxious fumes filled the alley. Ember fell to her knees, coughing and spitting to rid herself of the fire that flooded her mouth and nostrils.

"Indeed, what else to expect from you, Odesseiron?" Ramazith shouted. "How could you think you would not fail when you surround yourself with incompetent barbarians who do not know what good for them? Lower yourself like this... do not think the Zulkir will not know of your disgrace!" The mage paused. "Unless... ohhh. No, that cannot be; you are not-"

Three orcs materialized in front of Ramazith. The mage shrieked with surprise; moments later, a large club smashed his skull.

---

The library at the top of Ramazith's tower was very dusty, and smelled of spilled potions and old scrolls. Edwin rifled through the many keys on Ramazith's keychain (how fortunate that the inept fool had carried those with him) and selected the smallest one, which he tried on a locked chest. There was a tiny click, and the lock sprang open.

"(Too close,)" he mumbled quietly as he ruffled through the spell scrolls in the chest. There was no danger of anyone hearing him, as the others were searching the lower floors (after all, none of them were fit to evaluate arcane spellscrolls, and they would only be in his way. Imoen would have been useful company, though).

Had Ramazith truly guessed why he still travelled with Ember and Imoen? Edwin absentmindedly patted the wand of monster summoning that hung from his belt. Nobody would know, thanks to that wand and his perfect brain's ability to plan ahead, but it had still been far too close. He could not afford to let the others know the truth, or even suspect that there was a truth to be known.

He had to be more careful.

At the bottom of the chest, he found Ramazith's journal. Written in Thayvian, it was filled with notes about one Sarevok Anchev, a rising star in the Iron Throne hierarchy. Edwin recognized the name immediately; after all, it had been written all over the documents they'd found in Cloakwood. Here, in addition to the results of Ramazith's research, was yet another connection that supported his own theory! "Who is the failure now?" he muttered gleefully.

He stuffed the journal into his pack for later perusal, and headed for the bookshelves.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

"That's Arkion and Nemphre, that is!" a peasant woman replied. "They were lovers, once, but it ended badly."

That’s real smouldering love, it is. :D

"They had a duel this mornin', right here in the street," the man said, "an' blew each other up."

I would not count on it…

He's the one who filled that tavern with green slimes the other day, isn't he? "Pleased to meet you," Ember lied.

Ramazith, a former Red Wizard? Hmm, interesting touch…

A nymph! Ember's mind reeled. She could think of a few reasons why a mage might want to have one, and none of them were pleasant. "Where does this Ragefast live?" she asked.

Any self-respecting druid would be outraged about something like this!

"Ramazith is... my competitor," the wizard said between clenched teeth. "We have been assigned the same task. He is an inept fool who believes that greater age implies greater competence, and he would go to great lengths to impede my progress if given half a chance."

Strange that Ramazith would settle down in his own mage tower then, when he should be running around, looking for the Bhaalspawn!

"Listen, Boo! A damsel in distress, but not for long now that Minsc and Boo are here! Evil, watch your buttocks, for HERE COMES MY BOOT OF JUSTICE!" Minsc cried as he kicked in the door and stormed into the tower.

Hope one day Minsc doesn’t charge in on some couple making out, thinking that they need to be saved. :(

"No!" the mage shouted. "This wondrous being is my love and life! I would be hers as well, but it takes time! She will grow to care for me, as I her!"

Yes… I’m sure someone will start to return your feelings if you lock them up and keep chained in the basement.

The nymph shook her head. "'Tis flattering, but you are blinded by your passion. Truly see what is become of me. I should not age, but my spirit fades in this ugly place. Yours does as well, but from obsession over me."

Oh, was that a critique to his interior decoration? Or to the work of his housekeeper?

He is right, you know. :D

"It will be good to feel the grass beneath my feet once more! I doubt I shall seek the company of man for some time. Goodbye," Abela said with a smile. She kissed Ragefast, cast a spell, and was gone.

She’ll be aiming for females now, then? Beware, Ember… :D

"Indeed, what else to expect from you, Odesseiron?" Ramazith shouted. "How could you think you would not fail when you surround yourself with incompetent barbarians who do not know what good for them? Lower yourself like this... do not think the Zulkir will not know of your disgrace!" The mage paused. "Unless... ohhh. No, that cannot be; you are not-"

The Zulkir won’t hear anything from you, because you will be dead? :D

"(Too close,)" he muttered quietly as he ruffled through the spell scrolls in the chest. There was no danger of anyone hearing him, as the others had preferred to visit the Sorcerous Sundries while they waited for Imoen and Alora (he was happy to be free of the others, but Imoen would have been useful company).

I’m a little surprised that considering Edwin’s previous weird exchange with Ramazith, they allowed him to go and loot the tower all on his own.

He stuffed the journal into his pack for later perusal, and headed for the bookshelves.

Lots of useful stuff to gather, here… Edwin might run out of inventory spaces!

#3 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

That’s real smouldering love, it is. :D

Literally!

(And if only they could raise each other, it'd be undying love :lol: )

Ramazith, a former Red Wizard? Hmm, interesting touch…

Nothing 'former' about him. He's just chose an more stationary approach to the Task he's been assigned than Edwin did.

Any self-respecting druid would be outraged about something like this!

Not to mention two rangers and a druid!

Strange that Ramazith would settle down in his own mage tower then, when he should be running around, looking for the Bhaalspawn!

How could he surround himself with opulence befitting his status if he were travelling the roads like some common barbarian?

Also, there is more than one Bhaalspawn in the region...

Hope one day Minsc doesn’t charge in on some couple making out, thinking that they need to be saved. :D

I think Boo will point out slight differences in sounds before he does that :lol:

Yes… I’m sure someone will start to return your feelings if you lock them up and keep chained in the basement.

Hundreds of psychos can't be wrong!

Oh, was that a critique to his interior decoration? Or to the work of his housekeeper?

Probably both.

He is right, you know. :D

Of course he is :lol:

She’ll be aiming for females now, then? Beware, Ember… :D

:lol:

The Zulkir won’t hear anything from you, because you will be dead? :P

Not quite what I meant :wink:

"(Too close,)" he muttered quietly as he ruffled through the spell scrolls in the chest. There was no danger of anyone hearing him, as the others had preferred to visit the Sorcerous Sundries while they waited for Imoen and Alora (he was happy to be free of the others, but Imoen would have been useful company).

I’m a little surprised that considering Edwin’s previous weird exchange with Ramazith, they allowed him to go and loot the tower all on his own.

Good point. I'll see if I can do something about that.

Lots of useful stuff to gather, here… Edwin might run out of inventory spaces!

Well, in the real world, a spellscroll does not take up the exact same amount of space as a suit of full platemail :lol:

#4 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:03 AM

Ah, l'amour... :?

http://www.bitterfilms.com/lamour.html

She glanced at Edwin, who looked like he had just swallowed something foul-tasting.

His pride, maybe? ;)

Too bad your organs aren't worth much as magical reagents. I wouldn't mind getting a chance to make something useful out of your spleen...

"We have been assigned the same task. He is an inept fool who believes that greater age implies greater competence, and he would go to great lengths to impede my progress if given half a chance."

Well, from what I've seen, youth doesn't necessarily imply skill, either... :P

(I swear, she is almost as annoying as Imoen!)

Harlequin: "You take that back, you snot-nosed, little twerp... nobody is annoying as I am. I take pride in my ability to harangue people, damn it."

Raven: "Having Minsc around can be handy."

Harlequin: "See... normally, when there's a stubborn door in our way, I get the job. Sometimes it's a matter of me hacking a security terminal and getting keycodes for the lock. Other times, I just run a manual bypass on the door's attached keypad... and other times, if the thing's really pissy, I just blow it off its hinges with some Composition E and det-cord. But having Minsc around means we can just have him kick the stupid thing out of the way."

Raven: "Like I said: handy."

Harlequin: "Get used to it. That'll be you in a few years... if you're lucky."

Raven: "Ouch."

Harlequin: "Eh, it's not polite to say, but it's true. I mean, really... do you know who he took to his high school prom?"

Raven: "No. Who?"

Harlequin: "His cousin."

Raven: (Snorts) "That's weak."

Harlequin: "No kidding."

Of course! Fortunately, he is no match for my intellect.

Of course he isn't... we'd have to start looking for vegetables, or possibly mineral deposits if we wanted something to match Edwin's intellectual prowess.

(I'm sorry, but you make it -way- too easy... or rather, he does. I just have to bust his chops every time he starts acting like an arrogant prick... which is basically 24/7/365. :D )

#5 Guest_Ananke_*

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

Had Ramazith truly guessed why he still travelled with Ember and Imoen? Edwin absentmindedly patted the wand of monster summoning that hung from his belt. Nobody would know, thanks to that wand and his perfect brain's ability to plan ahead, but it had still been far too close. He could not afford to let the others know the truth, or even suspect that there was a truth to be known.

Well... Now, the readers know, Eddie. And woe upon me if it's what I think it is.

At the bottom of the chest, he found Ramazith's journal. Written in Thayvian, it was filled with notes about one Sarevok Anchev, a rising star in the Iron Throne hierarchy. Edwin recognized the name immediately; after all, it had been written all over the documents they'd found in Cloakwood. Here, in addition to the results of Ramazith's research, was yet another connection that supported his own theory! "Who is the failure now?" he muttered gleefully.

Heh. So, they'll be leaving chapter 5 soon?

I liked the beginning of the chapter, with the two smouldering lovers (;)) and Ramazith's odd syntax. I'm not sure - but it's your creation, isn't it? I think... :P I don't remember, but I think so. In any case, it's great. :?

#6 Guest_Jean_*

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:34 AM

Good chapter. :?

Nobody would know, thanks to that wand and his perfect brain's ability to plan ahead, but it had still been far too close.

Sounds like Quayle before he has his BG2 personality transplant. ;) I like your Edwin.

Thanks, Cel!

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

Ah, l'amour... :D

;)

http://www.bitterfilms.com/lamour.html

She glanced at Edwin, who looked like he had just swallowed something foul-tasting.

His pride, maybe? :?

No, there's still a ways to go until that happens :P

Raven: "Having Minsc around can be handy."

Harlequin: "See... normally, when there's a stubborn door in our way, I get the job. Sometimes it's a matter of me hacking a security terminal and getting keycodes for the lock. Other times, I just run a manual bypass on the door's attached keypad... and other times, if the thing's really pissy, I just blow it off its hinges with some Composition E and det-cord. But having Minsc around means we can just have him kick the stupid thing out of the way."

Raven: "Like I said: handy."

:D

(I'm sorry, but you make it -way- too easy... or rather, he does. I just have to bust his chops every time he starts acting like an arrogant prick... which is basically 24/7/365. :lol: )

Especially if he's my Edwin :)

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:08 PM

Well... Now, the readers know, Eddie. And woe upon me if it's what I think it is.

All I'll say is that it is what I think it is ;)

Heh. So, they'll be leaving chapter 5 soon?

Iron Throne next, I expect.

I liked the beginning of the chapter, with the two smouldering lovers (:?) and Ramazith's odd syntax. I'm not sure - but it's your creation, isn't it? I think... :D I don't remember, but I think so. In any case, it's great. :P

Thanks! Most of Ramazith's odd syntax is stock dialogue; that is what inspired me to make him a Thayvian :D

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:09 PM

Good chapter. :?

Nobody would know, thanks to that wand and his perfect brain's ability to plan ahead, but it had still been far too close.

Sounds like Quayle before he has his BG2 personality transplant. ;) I like your Edwin.

Actually, when you compare NPC wizards, they ALL sound like that (except for Ragefast, who is too busy being lovesick).

Thanks, Cel!

Thank you :P

#10 Guest_sparrow_*

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:30 PM

;) I like how you bring these two in as another example of the darker side of love, though Ragefast-Abela ends on a much better note of course.

"We're not going to," Ember said. "We're going to free her from Ragefast." She turned and looked at Edwin. "You know Ramazith, don't you?"

"I saw the look on your face. You looked even more upset than you did when we met the Red Wizards at that temple ruin in the forest."

Go Ember, and here's another person that thinks making Ramazith and Edwin competition is a great idea. :?

"Minsc and Boo and our Boots of Justice have come to teach you how to be nice to ladies!" Minsc shouted, waving his sword.

:D If only there were more that thought like Minsc.

"You do not cage those you care for," Kivan said. "You may break her spirit, and she will serve you, but this is not love."

"She will learn to be happy here!" Ragefast insisted. "We shall grow old together."

:P Poor Abela and poor deluded Ragefast.

Somehow 'muttered gleefully' seems to fit Edwin so well. :D

Can't wait to see more of Edwin and his mission.

#11 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

"Aye. They was always fightin'. He said he wanted her ring, an' she said she wanted his amulet," a gruff-voiced man added.

The cart was slowly pulled away by a pair of donkeys, and the crowd began to disperse.

Tarant: This kind of street theatre is where the soap-opera comes from.

Imoen: I've never understood that name... the soap or the opera part.

On my last run through the game he did the slime thing two days after I'd killed him... so he's pretty powerful I'm guessing.

Aerie: No... n-none of them are pleasant. Avariel are often hunted for spell components too.

Edwin: Well then, I suggest you continue finding ways to make yourself useful. My beard could do with a trim... and I would not trust the others with a blade so close to my neck.

Aerie: Ugh... fine.

Edwin: Ridiuculous. As if anyone can compete with Edwin.

"I will forgive your impudence in prying," the wizard huffed, "and you will content yourself with knowing that the Red Wizards of Thay are not involved in any of the petty schemes in this region. As for my task, it is a matter of personal advancement. (I swear, she is almost as annoying as Imoen!)"

B-but... that's impossible!

Imoen: Typical Minsc... like he doesn't know handles exist.

Aerie: She'll get sick, trapped like that... and then they hack off your limbs and are about to leave by the side of the road to die, when someone figures out you might still be useful for moving muck around or trimming peoples beards...

Imoen: Go to your happy place.

The mage slumped dejectedly. "I...it is so. Forgive me Abela, I have been a fool. I release you from my enchantments, and you are free to leave. Please do not think too harshly of me," Ragefast said. He reached for her collar and pulled it from her neck.

Tarant: Talking him down was easier than I thought... but now you don't get to loot all his stuff.

Imoen: Don't think he had anything all that useful anyway.

Tarant: All the same... I'd hate to think I might have missed something.

Three orcs materialized in front of Ramazith. The mage shrieked with surprise; moments later, a large club smashed his skull.

Ah, the old monster summoning. One of the most useful spells in the first game IMHO. Sleep is good as well, against Kobolds and the like.

"(Too close,)" he mumbled quietly as he ruffled through the spell scrolls in the chest. There was no danger of anyone hearing him, as the others were searching the lower floors (after all, none of them were fit to evaluate arcane spellscrolls, and they would only be in his way. Imoen would have been useful company, though).

Edwin: Certainly... if you have need of a brainless chipmunk. Fodder perhaps? Some of those chests may be trapped.

Imoen: I'm right here you know.

Ah, the plot thickens. Did anything ever come of those Red Wizards in the first game? I don't think it did, did it? The ones in the forest just don't attack you if Edwin's there. Kind of disappointing really... they didn't even follow it up in BG2.

Ah well, good chapter!

#12 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:08 PM

:lol: I like how you bring these two in as another example of the darker side of love, though Ragefast-Abela ends on a much better note of course.

In that they end up alive and not resenting each other, you mean? Arkion and Nemphre tend to end up dead in my games, so I decided to give them a little melodrama (and give my group an excuse to not go sewerhopping :D ).

Go Ember, and here's another person that thinks making Ramazith and Edwin competition is a great idea. :D

*bows*

:D If only there were more that thought like Minsc.

Well, he is the guy who coined 'swords, not words!'...

;) Poor Abela and poor deluded Ragefast.

Yeah. I really felt sorry for the guy :D

Somehow 'muttered gleefully' seems to fit Edwin so well. :D

Yeah. It was a shout in the original, but I had to tone it down and ultimately, the mutter is much more in character for him :D

Can't wait to see more of Edwin and his mission.

There'll be smatterings of it here and there as I progress :lol:

#13 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:16 PM

Tarant: This kind of street theatre is where the soap-opera comes from.

Imoen: I've never understood that name... the soap or the opera part.

Soap from originally being broadcast while good housewives were at home cleaning. Opera because opera invented that kind of melodrama ;)

On my last run through the game he did the slime thing two days after I'd killed him... so he's pretty powerful I'm guessing.

:lol:

Aerie: No... n-none of them are pleasant. Avariel are often hunted for spell components too.

Guess what would have happened to Kivan if Ramazith hadn't underestimated his opponents. (I just couldn't find a way to make Ramazith outright say something to that effect :D )

Edwin: Well then, I suggest you continue finding ways to make yourself useful. My beard could do with a trim... and I would not trust the others with a blade so close to my neck.

Aerie: Ugh... fine.

She's a cleric; I wouldn't trust her with a blade for an entirely different reason :D

Edwin: Ridiuculous. As if anyone can compete with Edwin.

Edwin: Many try, all fail. (Miserably, I might add.)

Imoen: Typical Minsc... like he doesn't know handles exist.

Well, his lines won't be the same if he shouts and then calmly opens the door... heh, maybe I'll write that one day, just for fun :D

Aerie: She'll get sick, trapped like that... and then they hack off your limbs and are about to leave by the side of the road to die, when someone figures out you might still be useful for moving muck around or trimming peoples beards...

Imoen: Go to your happy place.

Your Aerie is still a bit scarrrred, isn't she?

Ah, the old monster summoning. One of the most useful spells in the first game IMHO. Sleep is good as well, against Kobolds and the like.

Edwin: Brute force, just like he suggested using against a wizard.

Ah, the plot thickens. Did anything ever come of those Red Wizards in the first game? I don't think it did, did it? The ones in the forest just don't attack you if Edwin's there. Kind of disappointing really... they didn't even follow it up in BG2.

They just were there, just like the Zhentarim above the Sorcerous Sundries were only there to not be killed if Xzar/Monty were in your team. Annoying, isn't it?

Ah well, good chapter!

Thank you :lol:

#14 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

That is some burning love.... or hate as it was...

"My proposition is thus; I would have you enter into the home of a colleague of mine, and effect the release of a creature he has imprisoned there," Ramazith said. "Ragefast be his name, and he has in his possession one of the most beautiful and useful creatures in all of Faerun. It be a nymph he captured some time ago. I know not what laughable plans he has for her, but I am sure she be more... productive in my care. I would go myself, but none know better how to defend against a wizard than another wizard. This require stealth and guile, or quick blade with muscle behind. You have; I lack. Simple, no?"

Productive as in spellcomponents?

"I was not upset!"

"Edwin, what do you know about Ramazith?"

"And would this task have something to do with why there are so many Red Wizards around in general?" Ember asked.

I would like to know that as well :lol:

Ah.. yes... subtle....

Sneaky Edwin. This will be intresting.

#15 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:50 AM

A large crowd had assembled outside the Sorcerous Sundries, forming a wide circle around two burnt and charred bodies that lay near the store's doorstep. Ember, Kivan, Minsc and Edwin arrived just as the bodies were being covered with old sheets and laden onto a cart.

“A couple of them Jansens got loose. Dangerous buggers they are.”

They got married, then?

"I understand perfectly. You be not from here, after all," the man said. "You and your compatriots be so obviously... well... I just say you no look like farmers or merchants." His accent had strong similarities to Edwin's, Ember noticed; he had to be yet another Red Wizard. She glanced at Edwin, who looked like he had just swallowed something foul-tasting.

Probably his ego acting up again.

In my last play through he managed to do that after I killed him, which is a pretty neat trick.

"I've a service needing completion, and it require that which I think you have. I reward well. Interested, yes?"

How much does it pay?

What, you don’t think mages are allowed to have gardeners?

After all, you would.

"I was not upset!"

And if you believe that, I’ve got some really nice farmland in Icewind Dale to sell you.

Well you’ll just have to make sure he isn’t given that chance, then.

Do you do anything that isn’t a matter of personal advancement (or at least survival, if you’re doing it on a superiors orders)?

Ember decided to let the matter lie,

Oh go on, get the pliers out and pull some of his toenails out. You’ll get an honest answer out of him that way. Or at least have some fun.

Just as long as he doesn’t use the broken door to hit people.

Ragefast stepped away from the giant ranger. "What nonsense is this?! Explain yourself!"

Minsc: “But I did explain myself. You wanted to know who we were, and I told you, and since I am trying to be helpful I even explained why we are here. Boo thinks you are a very strange person.”

A very sad exchange, really. Although some of my PCs just kill the guy, there’s more loot that way.

"Do you expect trouble from Ramazith?" Ember asked Edwin.

"(What a foolish question.) Of course! Fortunately, he is no match for my intellect."

Is anyone? :D

Edwin: “Now who’s in disgrace, huh? (If only there was someone here who could appreciate my glorious victory.)”

So Edwin knows the truth.

How very Edwin to be mutter even when he’s gloating alone.

#16 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:02 PM

That is some burning love.... or hate as it was...

A little of this, a little of that...

Productive as in spellcomponents?

Of course.

I would like to know that as well :)

Does anything at all make you think it doesn't? :D

Ah.. yes... subtle....

It is, if your name is Minsc and Boo.

Sneaky Edwin. This will be intresting.

Edwin: *rubs hands together and cackles evilly*

#17 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

“A couple of them Jansens got loose. Dangerous buggers they are.”

"Arkion and Nemphre united in their hatred of Jansens and blew a dozen of them up along with themselves."

They got married, then?

:)

Probably his ego acting up again.

I guess you could put it that way.

In my last play through he managed to do that after I killed him, which is a pretty neat trick.

Did you expect any less from such a wonderful wizard?

How much does it pay?

One lightning bolt! And some magical weapon that is so insignificant that I have completely forgotten what it was.

After all, you would.

Edwin: Of course!

"I was not upset!"

And if you believe that, I’ve got some really nice farmland in Icewind Dale to sell you.

Well you’ll just have to make sure he isn’t given that chance, then.

Edwin: You seem to have a perfect understanding of the Thayvian power structures.

Do you do anything that isn’t a matter of personal advancement (or at least survival, if you’re doing it on a superiors orders)?

Edwin: And there came the foolish question that I was waiting for. (Simian.)

Ember decided to let the matter lie,

Oh go on, get the pliers out and pull some of his toenails out. You’ll get an honest answer out of him that way. Or at least have some fun.

Ember: :D

Just as long as he doesn’t use the broken door to hit people.

Thog bad. No group hug for Thog.

Minsc: “But I did explain myself. You wanted to know who we were, and I told you, and since I am trying to be helpful I even explained why we are here. Boo thinks you are a very strange person.”

A very sad exchange, really. Although some of my PCs just kill the guy, there’s more loot that way.

Yeah, but not anything really worth having.

So Edwin knows the truth.

No. Edwin strongly suspects the truth.

How very Edwin to be mutter even when he’s gloating alone.

Isn't it?

#18 Arcalian

Posted 13 January 2007 - 04:55 AM

Now how on earth did I miss this?

Edwin and Minsc in the same party...oh that's always fun.

I remember BG1 with fondness.
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#19 Guest_Scavenger_*

Posted 13 January 2007 - 07:51 AM

Yep, no crazy adventurers bringing rottinng, stinky dead bodies to necromancers.

I wonder, do nymphs/dryads/ etc have any legal protection in FR? For example, it is illegal to enslave and eventually kill poor thing?

And you would know, right? ;)

I remember one NPC in some NWN module died just like this. He triggered like 3 traps almost simultaneously...

The woman was dressed in nothing but a gauzy wrap of shimmery blue fabric, and a delicate silver chain, held by the mage, was attached to a collar around her neck.

That's a true love here, folks. :twisted: Although handcuffs would be a nice addition.

"But we were meant for each other! Thy very words had said so!" Ragefast cried.

"In my glade, amidst the stars and moon," Abela said. "'Twas beauty in that, but I cannot be confined with thee. I am not human, and this is not my home."

One night stand went wrong, it seems ).

You can try to dual-class into ranger or druid. :shock:

"Farewell, my love," Ragefast whispered. He sat heavily down on a chair and collapsed in tears.

"I am sorry, but it had to be done," Ember told Ragefast. She was tempted to give him the lock of hair, but decided not to; he'd probably obsess over that in her stead, and never recover. Instead, she beckoned her companions towards the door. They left quietly, and closed the door behind them.

You know, I think that in NWN (original campaign) was very similar quest. You had to free nymph from obsessed wizard and get her hairs.

Seems to be a good way to get Darwin's award; just start a fight with a large, heavily armed group and proceed with long monologue :shock: .

This tower has nice loot for a mage, I think. One of +1 tomes (int?), some sort of spell-slots bonus item and scrolls :) .

#20 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

Now how on earth did I miss this?

:shock:

Edwin and Minsc in the same party...oh that's always fun.

Mine have proven remarkably tolerable of each other (okay, in game they threaten to kill each other every now and then, but due to happy patch, neither will make a move).

I remember BG1 with fondness.

I still play it every now and then :twisted:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com