Planar Escapades: The Plane of Water

• Please log in to reply
514 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:04 AM

Some universes are pretty much made of nothing. In between stars, there is nothing, which wants to be filled with something. A vacuum provides it's own forces.

This is the plane of water, a place where the forces are currents, heading in strange directions...a place where a sentient creature sets it's own gravity, thought gravity is not the strongest force, because even though it an endless expanse of water, this plane is the birth of currents that could tear apart planet sized rocks, should a planet ever form. There are leaking portals here, though they are rare, and like anything in the plane of water, not in a fixed location.

Light does not come from stars here, it just suffuses everything, with no apparent source. Water magic is larger and lasts longer here, fire magic can be cast, but it is a difficult feat to cast fire into water, and many magic users cannot make it work. In regions, the water may be salty, in others fresh. The broken shells of long eaten crustaceans may be the bit of debris that seeds a pearl of a city, ringed by barnacles until it reaches large enough to be ringed by coral until it becomes settled by tritons, aquatic elves, mermen or marids. The majority of the water on the plane is quite warm and comfortable, though there are areas of supreme cold and boiling heat.

There is no depth caused pressure here, but the constant whirring of wild or playful currents means that sometimes energetic currents fight each other, and become whirlwinds that crush all in their reach.

Through this plane flows water, and through this water flows everything else, from balls of sea weed the size of planets, to coral castles inhabited by the great 'water genie' marids. Giant chunks of ice flow in the cold spots, sometimes miles long, and tidal bores pulse through the plane when the currents align too closely.

#2 Guest_SmartAzz_*

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:25 PM

Austho was rather bored, guarding the only tavern here with decent rooms to pay off the money he owed the bartender. He had lend the money to get a room there in this godforsaken realm; he had not found a single temple of St.Cuthbert yet, and he doubted whether anybody here even knew of the divine god of retribution. Boring as the job may be, atleast it was legal, anything was better than resorting to crime. He looked around, seeing nothing special, just the usual customers of the bar, used to the fact that they had to drop off their weapons before entering. This was necissary because though the wards were powerful, especially the anti-magic one's, to prevent was always better than to cure, and people were less anxious to start a fight without their weapons. The other guards didn't seem any more interested in the surroundings. Besides, most people here weren't even humanoid, some humanoids however resembled odd elves, though their language was unlike any elven he ever heard. Giant fishmen with their crocodile pets, floating genies and other odd reptile-like creatures all speaking their own strange languages. On occasion a human wizard strawled along, never saying said a word and ignoring the guards completely.

Then all of a sudden, the ground shook vividly, Austho and the other guards scanned the area, but nothing special seemed to have happened, then another shock, and all of a sudden a tent appeared less than 100 feet away from Austho! He wanted to go check it out, but he couldn't because his shift wasn't be over yet.
Ohh well, he thought, if they are new in town they will probably come to the largest tavern in the city: The Floating River.

#3 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:59 AM

Arven waited inside the tent, and looked through the fabric at the water surrounding them. "Oooh!" She squeaked in wonder.

#4 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:02 AM

Soren looked aorund, hiding his nerves. All this water made him very edgy. Living in an ice-bound land meant that running water was usually regarded a a sign that something was going very very wrong.

So much of it, especially with the recent Thaw in Frostdale wasn;t helping his composure. Still, he hid it valiantly, and waited almost patiently for the others to make a damn decision about what to do.

#5 Guest_IriaZenn_*

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:07 AM

"I'll go, you might need some back up and it looks like our other warrior is about to have a break down." She slid her hands over the hilts of her blades. "As long as I hide my ears I'm pretty good at flirting too."

-YOU WILL NOT BE FLIRTING!!!! IT'S BAD ENOUGH YOU'RE WITH THAT THAYVIAN. ESPECIALLY SINCE HIS- AAH, NEVER MIND.-

"Edwin's what?"

-I SAID NEVER MIND.-

"Oh come on Bhaal you never let me in on the juicy secrets." She crossed her arms and pouted. "Dekkie? What's in this room that's Edwin's something, that neither he or I would know about? Father knows but he's not telling."

#6 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:50 AM

Andi looked at them nervously. Andi opened the tent, and the water still stayed on it's side of the bubble. Perhaps they thought it was weird that the water was held back from the tent by the bubble, perhaps they thought that walking into the water would break it's surface tension, the way real bubbles broke when they were passed through.

"It's a bubble of Faerun..it's not going to pop unless it's dispelled. As for the water, we're protected from drowning..." Andi looked sidelong as Anna asked Dekaras about what of Edwin's would be here...doubtless the assassin had something of the wizard's. Because nothing else in the tent had a Thayan origin unless the silk underthings were counted... and she knew that those couldn't be his. From the cool water, Andi looked back at them. She wasn't being interfered with by the water at all. She could hear and see, and move as though the water were air. Her hair was being tugged in currents, lightly, just as wind had brushed through it when she had visited flat plains with Master Gregan. "Come on, the water's warm." She said, smiling.

#7 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:34 AM

Arven stuck a hand through and grinned. "I've seen something like this before. It's ok, it won't hurt you." It's like the fields that were used back home to keep the water from the Crystal Lake flooding the lowest levels of the city. . . She stepped through.

Ooooh . . this is weird. . . She had to get used to the feeling that she was breathing normally, when all logic said she should be drowning as she thought. But she was an apprentice, and logic was not always applicable when one was an apprentice. THen again, some things just simply defied logic, and and this entire mess was one of them.

#8 Laufey

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

Dekaras gave Anna a small shrug, keeping his face very carefully composed. "I could not possibly presume to know the mind of the dead Lord of Murder", he said. "The gods know much that is hidden from mere mortals, and perhaps with good reason. I fear I cannot answer your question any better than that."

He looked at the walls of the tent with interest, focusing on the masses of water outside. The magic protecting us must be very powerful indeed.

"Now, I think this might be a good time to test the waters, so to speak." He stepped outside the tent, pleased to find that the magic worked just as well outside as inside.
Rogues do it from behind.

#9 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:31 AM

Andi wondered for a moment. She walked back into the tent. "Um, Anna, could I have Kosj back for this? He doesn't have a ring, I've got to share the magic from mine... and as long as he's close to me, I can share it with him..." She said, twisting a bit of her sleeve nervously.

#10 Guest_Kelarin_*

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:05 PM

Allian had been heading for The Floating River when the strange tent had appeared. Normally this wouldn't have been important but the tent was a bit in the way of the tavern and it didn't seem to be moving. Nor was anyone coming out.

Allian frowned. Already a local 'Welcoming Committee' was gathering near the tent. Often enough those down on their luck would try to take advantage of the naivety, if you'd call it that, of strangers to the plane. And so it was that Allian went swimming towards them. When he saw people exiting the tent he swam even faster, as the group of planars surged forward.

#11 Guest_IriaZenn_*

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:30 PM

Anna smiled at Andi. "Yes here, you may have him." She held out her hand where the little (in her opinion) serpant had twine around her fingers. She didn't know what was going on between Bhaal and Dekaras but she wanted to find out. Maybe if she spent more time around him she would find out herself.

#12 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:27 AM

Andi held her hand out, and Kosj reluctantly slithered up her hand, then up her soft dragonscale robe. He settled onto her shoulder.

You know I've mentioned my water viper ancestor a number of times. He said, slightly sulky. I'm pretty sure I could handle a little water.

I'm pretty sure you could, Kosj, but...I'm going out into a scary new place, ok? I like our new friends and all...but there could be anything out there...and I'd prefer you were protecting my face, huh?

Ok, I'll buy that. Not to worry, Andi, I'll protect you! Hopeful they are sea mice, pre salted...maybe a slight tang of fish.

Weren't you stuffed out of your mind from all those fried mice?

Yes, but you're so hungry it's making me ravenous.

She swallowed. Oh. You're right. Oh well. Maybe in the tavern they'll serve food. She turned back to look at Anna. "Um, thanks." She smiled and stepped back into the water. She liked the feel of the water, but the odd blue lighting was just creepy. Also, not being able to see far in the water was strange, because although the movement in the water was no more difficult than in wind, it was as if they were looking through fog, and there were shapes moving towards the group.

#13 Guest_IriaZenn_*

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:50 AM

Anna smiled as she gave the snake away. She then walked over to Soren who was staring at the opening of the tent as if he was seeing a ghost. She walked over to him and grabbed his hand and started to drag him towards the waiting water.

"Let's go Soren."

#14 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:54 AM

Soren didn;t budge for a moment, before reluctantly allowing himself to be dragged towards the water. He closed his eyes and began to mutter under his breathe.

'It won't kill you, you'll be fine, it won;t kill you, you'll be fine.'

He gripped the hilt of Annaiya's sword desperately, wondering if he could freeze the water or not.

#15 Guest_IriaZenn_*

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:34 AM

Anna snicker. "It will kill you, it won't be fine." She repeated at Soren as she dragged him one slow step at a time. She tripped over her own foot as she walked backwards and fell outside the tent. She caught her breath and started choking on her own spit. It probably looked like she was drowning.

#16 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:30 AM

Andi looked away from the approaching people like shapes and looked at Anna. "Um, don't panic!" She said, frowning in deep worry. "It's ok to breath the water, the ring protects you from drowning! Just relax a moment and breath!"

#17 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:05 PM

Soren dived to Anna's side, and pulled her from the water. He turned her over and soundly thumped her in the back, expelling whatever was choking her.

'Idiot,' he muttered. 'I said it was dangerous.'

#18 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:49 PM

Arven gasped. "Anna!" She swam slowly towards her, but Soren got there first.

"Thank you." she said to Soren with a bow of her head. She turned to look at the approaching shapes.

"Uhm. . . I -- I don't know much about. . . . "ooh, what's the word? "h-how m-magic w-works h-here, so a-are they likely to be angry?" She looked at Andi and the two newcommers, Dekaras and Benny, as they seemed to understand at least something of what was going on.

#19 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:40 AM

Andi noticed Soren draw Anna back into the tent. She would have liked to spend a few moments explaining that no one would drowned or freeze in this water but she felt vaguely worried about the shapes coming closer... because after all, natives of the material plane were harsh enough of visitors to their native plane, and she had heard that most people of other planes were unfriendly by comparison. "Well, planar travelers are not generally well received." She said to Arven.

As they drew closer still, she was able to see human like torsos, faces and arms, grabbed in rough seaweed shirts, which looked more like dull green armless tunics with low necks. Their legs were scaly blue green with fins. She thought of all the descriptions she'd read in the books. Their hair was blue, growing more green towards the roots, and as they drew closer still, the silvery tone of their skin showed up. Tritons. They were thought to be native to the plane of water, so their presence here should be no surprise.

"We mean you no harm." Andi said, hoping her Aquan wasn't so accented as to offend them. On the material plane, they were fairly territorial, and there was no reason to expect different here. Except that this particular settlement was supposedly more relaxed, allowing many different types of people to mingle. "Unless you mean us some." She finished, as they continued forward, though the intelligence in their eyes suggested they understood what she was saying.

#20 Guest_Kelarin_*

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:29 PM

Allian, pulled up short when the Human spoke in clear, though slightly accented, and seemingly rusty, Aquan. He spoke back in clear common, from a short distance above them all. "Unfortunately, gemmed one, they may mean you harm, though not physical." He looked to the Tritons, and his words switched to Aquan, which he spoke at a much quicker pace.

"I would suggest you forget your pockets for now friends. She wears the skin of dragons, and the gem set upon her brow could most assuredly be of no benign benefit." He continued to list various assets of the young woman, noting her components, her magical possessions, and whatever else he took to, drawing each into a story of the power of the one before them. FInally he stopped. "Now," he said once more in common, "perhaps we could end this business on a friendly note." He looked the foremost Triton in the eyes, before meaningfully eying the Prime. "That is, of course, unless you have more confidence in your abilities than I do."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com