Ember's Tale 55: Taking Chances

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:37 PM

Chapter 55: Taking Chances

Imoen and Alora sat on a low wall outside the Iron Throne complex, idly swinging their legs back and forth. It was a warm, sunshiny day, and they'd done much better than expected with their simple disguises; dressed in plain tunics, plain leggings, and cowled hoods that completely covered their distinctive hair, nobody in the complex had suspected that the two girls were not the messengers they pretended to be. They had been barred from the upper floor, of course, but they'd learned quite a bit from some of the chattier guards, as well as from the messages a few merchants had asked them to deliver.

Now all they needed was a good meal.

"The Low Lantern would probably be closest, but I don't want seafood," Imoen said.

"And smells bad there, it does!" Alora said. "Across town we can go; I am not tired at all!"

"Well, how about some of those pies from the Blushing Mermaid?" Imoen suggested with an impish grin. Alora immediately burst into a fit of giggles.

As they had all discovered last night, the mermaid had good reason to blush; the inn was decorated with a lot of deep red curtains and naughty paintings, and by the sound of it, there were revelers both upstairs and downstairs from the common room. They had ordered the spiced meat pies from a serving girl with a large chest in a too small blouse. At that point, Ember had been a bit worried about what the pies might be like, but when the food arrived, it seemed just fine; the spices were a bit unusual, but a pleasant warmth had spread through Imoen from the very first bite.

After the third bite, Imoen had started to feel a bit restless, and Edwin, still on his first mouthful, had announced that at least four of the spices were known aphrodisiacs. Alora, who had scarfed down almost a third of a pie, had turned beet red and shoved the dish away from her with both hands. They had left the partially eaten pies behind and gone to the Elfsong for a safer meal, but Imoen had felt antsy the entire evening, and Alora hadn't been able to sleep until well past midnight.

"How did Eddie know about the spices?" Alora asked as soon as she stopped giggling.

"Well, you know what they say about Thayvians, right?" Imoen said.

"What do they say?"

"Oh, that they're as redblooded as their robes, that they know all about lovemaking, that they spend time with gasping concubines... at least, that's what Eddie says. I haven't met any other Thayvians, so he just might be exaggerating," Imoen said with a small grin.

Alora's mouth became an O. "Dappled dancing donkeys!" she exclaimed. "But..."

"But what?"

"He never really acts like that, does he? Confused, am I!"

Imoen shrugged. "I don't think he likes the courtesans here. 'Barbaric simians, all of them'," she said, imitating Edwin's accent. "I heard him compare a courtesan to a cow once, you know."

Alora burst into another fit of giggles, and was still laughing when Imoen saw a young boy come running up the street. He looked to be about thirteen, and he was crying his eyes out.

"Heya!" Imoen called out to the boy, who stopped abruptly in front of them. His scrunched up face was the most miserable thing Imoen had seen in a long time. "What's wrong?" she asked gently.

"I... we... oh, everything!" the boy wailed.

"There, there, it'll be all right," Alora said, patting the boy's hand.

"No, it won't!" the boy all but shouted.

"If you calm down and tell us what's wrong, maybe we can help," Imoen said.

The boy drew a deep breath and wiped his runny nose on his sleeve. "M-my name is Varci," he said. "Casson and I were just fooling around. We didn't mean any harm!"

"Of course not," Imoen said. "What happened?"

"We just wanted to look at the pools at the Water Queen's house. We snuck in, but they saw us and chased us and Casson slipped and fell in the water. He's dead!" Varci burst into tears. Alora cried out in dismay and wrapped her arms around the boy's legs.

"They took him inside," Varci continued between sobs. "I asked them to give me his body, but they just glared at me and carried him away."

"The Water Queen, would that be Umberlee?" Imoen asked.

Varci nodded. "If only I had his body, I could try to make things right, but they are priestesses and I am just a boy. I can't do anything."

"Maybe I can," Imoen said.

---

The temple of Umberlee had no real floor. Instead, there was a large pool of water, crisscrossed by walkways. The air inside was cool, and blue reflections from the pool played across the marble walls. Imoen involuntarily pulled her cowl closer.

"Scared, am I," Alora whispered.

"It'll be all right. Just let me do the talking," Imoen said. Not that I really want to, either.

One of the blue-robed priestesses approached them. "For what purpose do you visit the Bitch Queen?" she demanded.

Imoen cleared her throat. "We wish to see the priestess Tenya," she said, trying to sound as severe as the priestess. Please please please let her be here already!

"Tenya? Wait here and I will get her for you," the priestess said, and strode off. Imoen breathed a quiet sigh of relief and lowered her hood so that her face and hair would be fully visible.

A few minutes later, the priestess returned with a young girl in blue robes in tow.

"Hi, Tenya," Imoen said, raising a hand and waving slightly, "remember me?"

"Yes, I remember you," the girl said. "The Mother and I expected to see some of you again at some point. I suppose you wish to collect some sort of payment, hmmm?" The other priestess wandered off down a walkway, no doubt to tend the water or something like that.

"Er, yes," Imoen said. "but I don't want money, or anything like that. There is a boy who came here and was killed. I just want his body back. If you'll give it to me, we'll be even."

Tenya snorted with amusement. "You do not ask for much, do you?" she said, and walked off in the direction of the other priestess. They talked quietly for a while, then Tenya returned.

"You may have him. I warrant you will try to resurrect him, but the lesson is learned. Death changes one, especially one so young. I know of this like no other," the young priestess said as she led Imoen and Alora down one of the walkways.

"Resurrect?" Alora whispered to Imoen.

"Maybe Varci knows a way," Imoen whispered back. They stopped outside a small alcove, and she glanced inside.

The body of a boy, around ten years old, lay on a slab of marble. His eyes and mouth were open, and his skin had a deathly blue pallor. Imoen couldn't tell if it the colour was all his own, or if the cold light inside the temple made him look even bluer. She covered her mouth with her hand.

"Take the child, and go," Tenya said.

Cringing, Imoen walked into the alcove and lifted the body up from the marble slab. He felt cold as ice, and was much heavier than she expected. Alora hurried in behind her and lifted the boy's legs, and together they managed to maneuver the body out of the alcove. The walkways bobbed gently up and down beneath their feet as they carried the boy to the main door.

"Our score is settled," Tenya said at the temple gate. "Leave, and never darken these halls again... unless summoned!" She walked back into the temple and closed the gates behind her, leaving Imoen and Alora alone on the street with the dead boy.

"Now what?" Alora asked wearily.

Imoen looked around; there was no sight of Varci. "Varci?" she called out. The boy immediately stood up from behind a barrel across the street.

"You got him back!" Varci cried out. "I may yet repair the damage I have caused!"

"Do you know someone who might resurrect him?" Imoen asked.

"His father is Lord Priest Tremain Belde'ar of the church of Tymora," Varci explained. "If anyone can bring Casson back, he can."

"Why were you so worried, then? They would have let his father have him, I am sure!" Alora said.

The boy shook his head. "A Lord Priest of Tymora cannot ask for trivial favors from the church of Umberlee. There'd be all kinds of complications, even if the other priests were to allow it."

Trivial? Imoen shook her head. "Let's just get him to his father, then. Where is he?"

"He'll be in the temple, near the Hall of Wonders," Varci said.

Imoen frowned. "I'm not sure we can carry his body that far, unless you're stronger than you look," she told Varci.

"Hm... I suppose I'd better bring his father here, then. Will... will you wait here with Casson?" Varci asked.

"Of course!" Alora said.

"I'll go fetch him. I won't be long! He... he doesn't know yet," Varci said with a worried frown.

"Just hurry back," Imoen said. Varci thanked her nervously, burst into fresh tears, and ran up the street towards the inner city.

While Alora cried softly, Imoen looked at the body. It was strange, being so close to a dead child; strange and unpleasant and somehow familiar. She didn't like it one bit. "Let's get him into the shade," she told Alora. Together, they carried the boy to a bench on the north side of a wall. The boy's eyes were still open; Imoen ran her hand across his face and gently closed his eyelids. It helped a bit, but not enough. She took off her cowl and used it to cover his face.

An eternity of a half hour later, Varci returned with a man in silver and blue robes. "Casson!" the man cried out, and kneeled beside the bench. "Oh Casson..." Imoen and Alora backed away while Tremain cried over his son.

After a while, the priest stood up and wiped his eyes. "I must bring his body home, that I might restore his life to him - if Our Smiling Lady wills it," he told Imoen and Alora. "Varci told me what you have done. If you would come with us, I will reward you whether I am able to revive him or not."

"I just want to know if he'll be all right," Imoen said.

"Me too!" Alora added.

The priest was a strong man. He scooped the boy up in his arms and carried him through the streets to the inner city as easily as he would a feather. He was a fast man, too; Imoen had some difficulty keeping up, and Alora had to outright run as they followed him to a small brick house. Varci opened the door and led them all inside.

"The moment has come. Please, no noise. I must concentrate," the priest said. Varci stood quietly next to Imoen, looking very sad and pitiful. She reached out and squeezed his hand, smiling encouragingly. A smaller hand reached out for her other hand, and she squeezed that as well. Standing like that, holding Varci's hand on one side and Alora's hand on the other, Imoen watched with rapt attention as the priest proceeded with the resurrection. It was a lengthy, complicated spell, involving a lot of words and a small bag of diamonds, and when it was done, Tremain sagged with exhaustion.

Nothing happened. Seconds passed, and all Imoen could hear was the pounding of her own pulse. Then, Casson coughed.

"Blessed be Our Smiling Lady! He lives!" the priest cried. "Son, can you hear me?"

"Father, I... what's going on?" the boy asked. He was still pale, but he was no longer blue, and the strangeness of death was completely gone from his face. Imoen felt like a heavy weight was lifted from her chest.

"Oh my dear dear boy..." Tremain said, "you are IN SUCH TROUBLE! What in all the planes were you thinking, child?! So help me, if turning you over my knee wouldn't kill you outright, you'd jump black to go right to blue!"

"What... but... but it wasn't my faul..." the boy protested. Varci let go of Imoen's hand and shrank back against a wall as if he wanted to be invisible, which he probably did.

"Oh no you don't! If you want to play the odds, you had best be sure you take responsibility for yourself! The Goddess of Luck and Adventure does not endorse DUMB luck or foolish risks! I swear, if your mother were alive to hear about this she'd drop dead where she stood, and THEN I'd have to raise her TOO! Do you have any idea what this spell takes out of a person?!"

"But I... we... I'm sorr..." the boy started as his father cast a healing spell on him.

"Not another word, young man!" Tremain said, pointing sternly towards the stairs. "You're off to your room and see if I let you out before you're four score and twenty! March!"

"But... I... aw..." Casson mumbled as he trudged up the stairs.

"Varci," the priest said, turning towards the other boy, "thank you for your part in salvaging this situation. I expect you to tell your father about what happened today - and I will know if you do not! - and I will leave your punishment to him."

"Yes, sir," Varci said nervously. "Thank you so much for your help!" he told Imoen and Alora, and bolted out the door.

"I don't think I've seen him walk at a normal pace at all," Imoen remarked. "I'm so glad everything turned out all right!" she told Tremain.

The priest smiled. "Words cannot express my gratitude to you," he said. "Many a Tymoran will look favorably on you for what you have done today."

"Happy to help, we were!" Alora exclaimed.

"Still, I must insist upon rewarding you. There must be something I can do for you; name it, and I will do my best to fulfil your wishes!" the priest said.

Imoen and Alora exchanged glances. "There is one thing, I suppose," Imoen said.

"What is that?" the priest asked.

"Hungry, we are! What's for lunch?" Alora asked with a broad grin.

Tremain laughed. "My larder is all yours!"

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:56 PM

"The Low Lantern would probably be closest, but I don't want seafood," Imoen said.

I would never consider eating at that place… unless committing suicide was my plan!

After the third bite, Imoen had started to feel a bit restless, and Edwin, still on his first mouthful, had announced that at least four of the spices were known aphrodisiacs. Alora, who had scarfed down almost a third of a pie, had turned beet red and shoved the dish away from her with both hands. They had left the partially eaten pies behind and gone to the Elfsong for a safer meal, but Imoen had felt antsy the entire evening, and Alora hadn't been able to sleep until well past midnight.

Ahem… and they serve stuff like that to these kids! :)

"How did Eddie know about the spices?" Alora asked as soon as she stopped giggling.

He must have read something up in a book.

Imoen shrugged. "I don't think he likes the courtesans here. 'Barbaric simians, all of them'," she said, imitating Edwin's accent. "I heard him compare a courtesan to a cow once, you know."

Edwin: I hereby wish to apologize to all cows. (There are infinitely more uses for a cow, as illustrated by this delightful steak on my plate)

The boy drew a deep breath and wiped his runny nose on his sleeve. "M-my name is Varci," he said. "Casson and I were just fooling around. We didn't mean any harm!"

Ah, I remember these brats... good thing they could be helped too, it seemed like such a dumb way to die.

Imoen cleared her throat. "We wish to see the priestess Tenya," she said, trying to sound as severe as the priestess. Please please please let her be here already!

Kind of creepy that the girl of what, thirteen years of age, is already a priestess of an evil goddess… not just some initiate or acolyte or whatever.

Tenya snorted with amusement. "You do not ask for much, do you?" she said, and walked off in the direction of the other priestess. They talked quietly for a while, then Tenya returned.

Just wait, Tenya, they will be back for more favours, soon. ;)

Cringing, Imoen walked into the alcove and lifted the body up from the marble slab. He felt cold as ice, and was much heavier than she expected. Alora hurried in behind her and lifted the boy's legs, and together they managed to maneuver the body out of the alcove. The walkways bobbed gently up and down beneath their feet as they carried the boy to the main door.

Are they going to carry him like that over the city? :)

"Hm... I suppose I'd better bring his father here, then. Will... will you wait here with Casson?" Varci asked.

Be quick about it, it’s kind of hard to be inconspicuous while standing near the body of a ten year old boy, in a city swarming with guards.

"The moment has come. Please, no noise. I must concentrate," the priest said. Varci stood quietly next to Imoen, looking very sad and pitiful. She reached out and squeezed his hand, smiling encouragingly. A smaller hand reached out for her other hand, and she squeezed that as well. Standing like that, holding Varci's hand on one side and Alora's hand on the other, Imoen watched with rapt attention as the priest proceeded with the resurrection. It was a lengthy, complicated spell, involving a lot of words and a small bag of diamonds, and when it was done, Tremain sagged with exhaustion.

Yay! Well, by the time Ember gets to the end of BG2, she will have the funds to resurrect her party members on daily basis, if need be! :D

"Oh no you don't! If you want to play the odds, you had best be sure you take responsibility for yourself! The Goddess of Luck and Adventure does not endorse DUMB luck or foolish risks! I swear, if your mother were alive to hear about this she'd drop dead where she stood, and THEN I'd have to raise her TOO! Do you have any idea what this spell takes out of a person?!"

Wonder what happened to his mother if he wasn’t able to raise her… :(

The priest smiled. "Words cannot express my gratitude to you," he said. "Many a Tymoran will look favorably on you for what you have done today."

Reputation increase? :D

D’oh! But what about gold? Jewels? Enchanted magical weapons and armor? That kind of thing? ;)

#3 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:10 PM

[quote]
As they had all discovered last night, the mermaid had good reason to blush; the inn was decorated with a lot of deep red curtains and naughty paintings, and by the sound of it, there were revelers both upstairs and downstairs from the common room. They had ordered the spiced meat pies from a serving girl with a large chest in a too small blouse. At that point, Ember had been a bit worried about what the pies might be like, but when the food arrived, it seemed just fine; the spices were a bit unusual, but a pleasant warmth had spread through Imoen from the very first bite.

[/quote]

:wink:

Better tell them to hold the aphrodisiac next time.

“We are just here to eat damn it!”

I could of course say something about being "antsy" and not being able to sleep until midnight but that would not be very polite now would it? :lol:

[quote]
"We just wanted to look at the pools at the Water Queen's house. We snuck in, but they saw us and chased us and Casson slipped and fell in the water. He's dead!" Varci burst into tears. Alora cried out in dismay and wrapped her arms around the boy's legs.
[/quote]

I wonder what possessed them to go sneaking around the temple of an evil godess in the first place?

[quote]
The temple of Umberlee had no real floor. Instead, there was a large pool of water, crisscrossed by walkways. The air inside was cool, and blue reflections from the pool played across the marble walls. Imoen involuntarily pulled her cowl closer.
[/quote]

I am guessing the slipping and falling is an occupational hazard...

[quote]
"Our score is settled," Tenya said at the temple gate. "Leave, and never darken these halls again... unless summoned!" She walked back into the temple and closed the gates behind her, leaving Imoen and Alora alone on the street with the dead boy.
[/quote]

Seesh... they could atleast have given them a sheet to cover up the body with...

Tremain laughed. "My larder is all yours!"[/quote]

;)

#4 Guest_Ananke_*

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:28 PM

Aw. Imoen and Alora. So cute... :wink:

"Me too!" Alora added.

Aww! That's them, all right!

While Alora cried softly, Imoen looked at the body. It was strange, being so close to a dead child; strange and unpleasant and somehow familiar. She didn't like it one bit.

I like this part a lot. It shows very well how Imoen has become familiarised with death during her travels. She's caused a lot of it already, hasn't she?

Heh! I don't know how much of it is your own, but the line about the mother never failed to make me smile in the game. (Although always tinged with what Theodur wrote about - I wonder what happened to the mother. I've always thought about cancer, for some reason.)

Also, I can't help but be amazed by Edwin's olfactory powers. Distinguishing four spices of however many... Now that's a fine tongue. :lol:

I loved the chapter.

#5 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:45 PM

"And smells bad there, it does!" Alora said. "Across town we can go; I am not tired at all!"

"Well, how about some of those pies from the Blushing Mermaid?" Imoen suggested with an impish grin. Alora immediately burst into a fit of giggles.

Well... geez... that's even worse, now. See, I thought the "meat pies" bit was bad enough... but now it's like... hmmm... "meat" versus... "seafood..." Yeah... this Immy apparently doesn't swing that way. :wink:

(Groan)

Mind. In. Gutter. Can't... get out...

"Oh, that they're as redblooded as their robes, that they know all about lovemaking, that they spend time with gasping concubines... at least, that's what Eddie says. I haven't met any other Thayvians, so he just might be exaggerating," Imoen said with a small grin.

I believe he just might be, at that. ;)

Varci nodded. "If only I had his body, I could try to make things right, but they are priestesses and I am just a boy. I can't do anything."

"Maybe I can," Imoen said.

"Bitch Queen," indeed.

Falynn: "Yeah, she and I don't get along real well. I'd smack her around if I could, but... well... my... 'peers' would probably frown on that sort of thing. You ask me, though, she totally needs to catch a beating."

"Me too!" Alora added.

Immy's such a sweetheart.

(Snort)

:lol:

#6 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:49 PM

... *sniggers madly*

That Thayvian male is as red-blooded as his cloak, Alora, and has left many a concubine gasping under his Erotic Onslaught. :D

A Wizard's Staff Has a Knob On the End?

Wait, wrong fandom...

Let's see... Big feet, big... shoes?

No, that's a movie.

Oh, I give up, Immy, tell us what they say about Thayvians! :lol: I'm sure you've been listening to the rumours very carefully indeed...

Edwin does not exagerrate! Well, numbers, yes. Gasping, no!

Heh. I'm having too much fun with this.

Not yet, anyway...

What, did he drown? Or hit his head, maybe? Seems to me that's a rather undignified way of dying.

A few minutes later, the priestess returned with a young girl in blue robes in tow.

Hi, Tenya!

That's gotta be uncomfortable. And attention-getting.

While Alora cried softly, Imoen looked at the body. It was strange, being so close to a dead child; strange and unpleasant and somehow familiar. She didn't like it one bit. "Let's get him into the shade," she told Alora. Together, they carried the boy to a bench on the north side of a wall. The boy's eyes were still open; Imoen ran her hand across his face and gently closed his eyelids. It helped a bit, but not enough. She took off her cowl and used it to cover his face.

Poor Immy, all PTSD'd out. ;)

"Oh my dear dear boy..." Tremain said, "you are IN SUCH TROUBLE! What in all the planes were you thinking, child?! So help me, if turning you over my knee wouldn't kill you outright, you'd jump black to go right to blue!"

Ahem.

Does that mean Mama wasn't important enough?

Reputation +1! ;)

:lol: Trust a halfling to demand food instead of riches.

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:25 PM

I would never consider eating at that place… unless committing suicide was my plan!

All the alcohol should kill the germs in the food :D

Ahem… and they serve stuff like that to these kids! :D

He must have read something up in a book.

Edwin: You clearly know nothing about fine Thayvian cuisine. (Simian.)

Edwin: I hereby wish to apologize to all cows. (There are infinitely more uses for a cow, as illustrated by this delightful steak on my plate)

Kind of creepy that the girl of what, thirteen years of age, is already a priestess of an evil goddess… not just some initiate or acolyte or whatever.

Well, she probably has some lowly title that Imoen doesn't know about. And remember that this is a kid who singlehandedly terrorized a handful of fishermen with her clerical powers.

Just wait, Tenya, they will be back for more favours, soon. ;)

No they won't ;)

Are they going to carry him like that over the city? :lol:

Do either of them look strong enough to do that?

Be quick about it, it’s kind of hard to be inconspicuous while standing near the body of a ten year old boy, in a city swarming with guards.

At least they won't be running around town with the body, you know.

Yay! Well, by the time Ember gets to the end of BG2, she will have the funds to resurrect her party members on daily basis, if need be! :D

Heh :) I don't think I'll be using that particular plot device, though.

Wonder what happened to his mother if he wasn’t able to raise her… :(

Too debilitating a disease? Severe injury? Not enough diamonds? Luck of the draw?

Reputation increase? :D

Alora: Big damn heroes, we are!

D’oh! But what about gold? Jewels? Enchanted magical weapons and armor? That kind of thing? ;)

Imoen and Alora: :P

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:34 PM

Better tell them to hold the aphrodisiac next time.

Edwin: Yes. (Such spices work best when applied at the right time and in the company of the right person. Without a spark to be fed, the effect will not be as intended. But I suppose one cannot expect these barbarians to know better...)

“We are just here to eat damn it!”

Edwin: See? Wrong time, wrong place (although I have my suspicions about the rooms on the other floors...)

I could of course say something about being "antsy" and not being able to sleep until midnight but that would not be very polite now would it? ;)

No, it would not :D *covers Imoen's innocent little ears*
I imagined the spices as having a warming and energizing effect, which would, in a large dose, make one feel restless and a bit antsy, especially if the diner had no way to work off the extra energy.
I also imagine the inn serves it as an appetizer for the patrons of the Undercellar :wink:

I wonder what possessed them to go sneaking around the temple of an evil godess in the first place?

In my experience, teenage boys do a lot of things without thinking.

I am guessing the slipping and falling is an occupational hazard...

If Umberlee's followers can't handle it, they're too weak for her service.

Seesh... they could atleast have given them a sheet to cover up the body with...

Imoen didn't ask for a sheet. She was lucky she got the body AND the clothes it was dressed in.

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:46 PM

Aw. Imoen and Alora. So cute... :wink:

When I added Alora to the party, I had some concerns about her competing with Imoen for the cuteness factor. As it turns out, they have synergy instead :D

"Me too!" Alora added.

Aww! That's them, all right!

You understand why the Iron Throne guards are helpless against them, right? :?

While Alora cried softly, Imoen looked at the body. It was strange, being so close to a dead child; strange and unpleasant and somehow familiar. She didn't like it one bit.

I like this part a lot. It shows very well how Imoen has become familiarised with death during her travels. She's caused a lot of it already, hasn't she?

Yeah, she's killed her share. I also wanted it to be a tiny hint at her nature.

Heh! I don't know how much of it is your own, but the line about the mother never failed to make me smile in the game. (Although always tinged with what Theodur wrote about - I wonder what happened to the mother. I've always thought about cancer, for some reason.)

That diatribe is pure in game text. And whatever happened to the mother, I imagine it was long enough time ago that it doesn't hurt anymore. She may have died in childbirth or something like that, for instance.

Also, I can't help but be amazed by Edwin's olfactory powers. Distinguishing four spices of however many... Now that's a fine tongue. :D

Edwin: My tongue is as perfected as the rest of my impressive physique.

I loved the chapter.

Glad to hear that! (I liked it myself until I tried to write the end of it; I'm not entirely happy with how I did that)

#10 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:52 PM

Well... geez... that's even worse, now. See, I thought the "meat pies" bit was bad enough... but now it's like... hmmm... "meat" versus... "seafood..." Yeah... this Immy apparently doesn't swing that way. :D

(Groan)

Mind. In. Gutter. Can't... get out...

:wink: :D :P (And yeah, she doesn't swing that way)

I believe he just might be, at that. :lol:

To what extent remains to be seen :?

"Me too!" Alora added.

Immy's such a sweetheart.

Isn't she?

(Snort)

Well, they are hungry, you know :lol:

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:17 PM

... *sniggers madly*

In the words of Bugs Bunny: Ain't I a stinker? ;)

That Thayvian male is as red-blooded as his cloak, Alora, and has left many a concubine gasping under his Erotic Onslaught. ;)

Something like that, yes :P

A Wizard's Staff Has a Knob On the End?

Wait, wrong fandom...

;)

Let's see... Big feet, big... shoes?

No, that's a movie.

:?

Edwin: Everyone knows it is the size of your nose! (And my nose is perfect.)

Edwin does not exagerrate! Well, numbers, yes. Gasping, no!

Too bad for him there is a shortage of concubine material on the Sword Coast, eh? :lol:

Heh. I'm having too much fun with this.

I thought you would :)

Not yet, anyway...

What, are you expecting that to change? :wink:

What, did he drown? Or hit his head, maybe? Seems to me that's a rather undignified way of dying.

Yes, and yes. Trespassing teenagers don't deserve dignified death.

Hi, Tenya!

Tenya: *scowls*

That's gotta be uncomfortable. And attention-getting.

Yes.

Imoen: Where's Minsc when you need him?

Poor Immy, all PTSD'd out. :lol:

Not really. Just getting slightly in touch with her inner Bhaalspawn and shying away from it as if it were a cold minced snail that was stuck on her nose. And a little 'eeeee dead boy!', of course.

:D

Ahem.

They must have had fun the day they wrote Tremain's lines :lol:

Does that mean Mama wasn't important enough?

No, it just means she couldn't be raised or that the attempt failed.

:D Trust a halfling to demand food instead of riches.

Imoen: What good is gold when your belly is making growling noises?

#12 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:10 PM

Oh dear...

:? :D :D

Poor Alora, though ;)

Now, what makes you think li'l ole Eddie could possibly ever exaggerate? :P

Oh, I remember these!

Uh oh, it's scarychild.

The body of a boy, around ten years old, lay on a slab of marble. His eyes and mouth were open, and his skin had a deathly blue pallor. Imoen couldn't tell if it the colour was all his own, or if the cold light inside the temple made him look even bluer. She covered her mouth with her hand.

:wink: That's one... disturbing description.

The boy shook his head. "A Lord Priest of Tymora cannot ask for trivial favors from the church of Umberlee. There'd be all kinds of complications, even if the other priests were to allow it."

Ah, the whole 'well, luck failed him when he died, so that's the end of it' thing?

A lot of diamonds, it seems :lol:

You know -- Alora's got the right idea :lol: ;)

#13 Guest_Scavenger_*

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:13 PM

Alora has funny speech pattern, it seems. It reminds me something, not sure what though.

Edwin surely has sensitive tongue and, hm, well-educated.

Ask him to prove himself, Immy :wink:

"They took him inside," Varci continued between sobs. "I asked them to give me his body, but they just glared at me and carried him away."

Really nice priests, it seems.

Grisly activity, I kind of pity Imoen.

"Our score is settled," Tenya said at the temple gate. "Leave, and never darken these halls again... unless summoned!"

These halls are darkened already, methink.

Imoen frowned. "I'm not sure we can carry his body that far, unless you're stronger than you look," she told Varci.

And carrying obviously dead body through the whole city (if memory serves, it is in different ends) would give raise to all sort of questions.

Hm... what does this spell take, by the way? It worked ridiculously easy in BG saga, so easy that availability of so cheap and reliable means to return person to life should've changed moral, laws and society in general drastically. :?

Well, I think that poor Tremain is the one the most shocked in this incident. Boys will forget after the punishment ends, most likely ).

#14 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

:P :lol: :lol:

:wink: :? :D

Poor Alora, though :D

Yeah, I almost feel sorry for her. She's lucky it's only stimulating spices and not something like a love potion, though :D

Now, what makes you think li'l ole Eddie could possibly ever exaggerate? ;)

Uh oh, it's scarychild.

Yep. Couldn't just mention her and then forget about her for the rest of the story?

:D That's one... disturbing description.

Imoen: *nods enthusiastically, still covering her mouth*

Ah, the whole 'well, luck failed him when he died, so that's the end of it' thing?

Yep.

A lot of diamonds, it seems ;)

Diamonds and fatigue ::)

You know -- Alora's got the right idea ;) :D

She tends to, especially when it comes to food :D

#15 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:57 PM

Alora has funny speech pattern, it seems. It reminds me something, not sure what though.

So certain are you... :D

Edwin surely has sensitive tongue and, hm, well-educated.

Edwin: But of course.

Ask him to prove himself, Immy :wink:

:P

Really nice priests, it seems.

Yep. If you plead enough when you ask them for help, they'll attack you for being too pathetic to live, or something like that.

Grisly activity, I kind of pity Imoen.

I'm mean. (But which scribe isn't?)

"Our score is settled," Tenya said at the temple gate. "Leave, and never darken these halls again... unless summoned!"

These halls are darkened already, methink.

And carrying obviously dead body through the whole city (if memory serves, it is in different ends) would give raise to all sort of questions.

It's only half the city, but oh yes it would.

Hm... what does this spell take, by the way? It worked ridiculously easy in BG saga, so easy that availability of so cheap and reliable means to return person to life should've changed moral, laws and society in general drastically. :?

That's why I'm avoiding the spell as much as possible. It is supposed to take diamonds worth 5000 gold, can fail for a million reasons, and the resurrected are weak as puppies when they're brought back.

Well, I think that poor Tremain is the one the most shocked in this incident. Boys will forget after the punishment ends, most likely ).

Hopefully my Varci is old enough to remember. I'm not sure about Casson; after all, he was dead and didn't really have to suffer anything.
At least my Tremain didn't have to sit around fretting about whether or not he should act against one of his own church's tenets and try to get his son's body back.

#16 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:40 AM

"Well, how about some of those pies from the Blushing Mermaid?" Imoen suggested with an impish grin. Alora immediately burst into a fit of
giggles.

They've been to all the classy establishments then :wink:

Imoen: That they're all liars?

Tarant: If by 'gasping' you mean goes baa a lot and by concubine you mean sheep then that's very accurate, yes. At least seems to be from what we know of Eddie.

I've been playing the game for the first time in many years and have just done this quest. I can't find the guy who asks you to kill the Bassilisk in his warehouse though then rewards you. It's a minor thing, but I'm never satisfied unless I've done absolutely everything, collected all the gold and experience I can.

One of the blue-robed priestesses approached them. "For what purpose do you visit the Bitch Queen?" she demanded.

They might want to work on a new title for their goddess... I can't see that one really drawing in crowds.

"Yes, I remember you," the girl said. "The Mother and I expected to see some of you again at some point. I suppose you wish to collect some sort of payment, hmmm?" The other priestess wandered off down a walkway, no doubt to tend the water or something like that.

Imoen: It's not right... young girl acting like that. She should be out having fun.

Aerie: I know... but what can you do? Sh-short of kidnapping her and forcing her to act like a child...

Imoen: That's... not a bad idea.

"Not another word, young man!" Tremain said, pointing sternly towards the stairs. "You're off to your room and see if I let you out before you're four score and twenty! March!"

Tarant: Y'see, that's what child hood is really all about.

Edwin: So let me see if I understand this correctly... you were owed a favor by the priestess of a pwerful goddesss and you've squandered it in order to fill your undeserving stomachs... Nincompoops!

Good chapter!

#17 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:57 PM

"Well, how about some of those pies from the Blushing Mermaid?" Imoen suggested with an impish grin. Alora immediately burst into a fit of
giggles.

They've been to all the classy establishments then ;)

There's still the Undercellar :lol:

Tarant: If by 'gasping' you mean goes baa a lot and by concubine you mean sheep then that's very accurate, yes. At least seems to be from what we know of Eddie.

Edwin: *throws fireball in Tarant's general direction*

I've been playing the game for the first time in many years and have just done this quest. I can't find the guy who asks you to kill the Bassilisk in his warehouse though then rewards you. It's a minor thing, but I'm never satisfied unless I've done absolutely everything, collected all the gold and experience I can.

The halfling is in a warehouse in the southeast part of town (just east of the docks).

They might want to work on a new title for their goddess... I can't see that one really drawing in crowds.

The Bitch Queen brooks no insolence.

Imoen: It's not right... young girl acting like that. She should be out having fun.

Aerie: I know... but what can you do? Sh-short of kidnapping her and forcing her to act like a child...

Imoen: That's... not a bad idea.

I imagine Tenya finds meaning in what she does.

Tarant: Y'see, that's what child hood is really all about.

;)

Edwin: So let me see if I understand this correctly... you were owed a favor by the priestess of a pwerful goddesss and you've squandered it in order to fill your undeserving stomachs... Nincompoops!

Imoen and Alora: :)

Good chapter!

Thank you ;)

#18 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:43 AM

Imoen and Alora sat on a low wall outside the Iron Throne complex, idly swinging their legs back and forth. It was a warm, sunshiny day, and they'd done much better than expected with their simple disguises; dressed in plain tunics, plain leggings, and cowled hoods that completely covered their distinctive hair, nobody in the complex had suspected that the two girls were not the messengers they pretended to be. They had been barred from the upper floor, of course, but they'd learned quite a bit from some of the chattier guards, as well as from the messages a few merchants had asked them to deliver.

Once you get your intelligence agents into the communications network, it's quite entertaining what you learn.

Like some roast pork in wine reduction and mashed sweet potatoes?

Stinky seafood joints... reminds me of Long John Silvers!

Hehehehe

Special happy pies. :)

Comment deleted for insanity reasons

;)

Now, the question is, if we feed them to Korgan and Mazzy, what happens?

"What do they say?"

That they only way they can get laid is if they use aphrodisiacs? ;) ;)

And Eddie's just as reliable as the local Tourist Board. ;)

*snicker* *decides not to make another joke about Edwin and farm animals as it's way too easy. Especially his known affinity for cows and monkeys* ;)

Not necessarily.

"No, it won't!" the boy all but shouted.

"If you calm down and tell us what's wrong, maybe we can help," Imoen said.

And that's usually when the bad things happen. ;)

Eeep.

"The Water Queen, would that be Umberlee?" Imoen asked.

Ahh.. the Bitch Queen. ;)

"It'll be all right. Just let me do the talking," Imoen said. Not that I really want to, either.

At least the Priests of Umberlee seemed to be more Evilish.

Aleria: "Preferably a good smiting, but in this case, just a rescue mission."

"Tenya? Wait here and I will get her for you," the priestess said, and strode off. Imoen breathed a quiet sigh of relief and lowered her hood so that her face and hair would be fully visible.

"Hi, Tenya," Imoen said, raising a hand and waving slightly, "remember me?"

Ahh.. her

"Er, yes," Imoen said. "but I don't want money, or anything like that. There is a boy who came here and was killed. I just want his body back. If you'll give it to me, we'll be even."

She wants a sacrifice back.

"You may have him. I warrant you will try to resurrect him, but the lesson is learned. Death changes one, especially one so young. I know of this like no other," the young priestess said as she led Imoen and Alora down one of the walkways.

That girl needs to grow up, then spend three months in Vegas with an American Express Black card. ;)

Very suitably creepy.

Such a nice young lady. :P

"His father is Lord Priest Tremain Belde'ar of the church of Tymora," Varci explained. "If anyone can bring Casson back, he can."

Well, yeah. That would help.

Opposed gods... and favors. Bad things.

*shivers* A little of the Taint coming through....

After a while, the priest stood up and wiped his eyes. "I must bring his body home, that I might restore his life to him - if Our Smiling Lady wills it," he told Imoen and Alora. "Varci told me what you have done. If you would come with us, I will reward you whether I am able to revive him or not."

"Me too!" Alora added.

That's Alora and Immy for ya.

One of the most powerful and potent spells on the market.

Nothing happened. Seconds passed, and all Imoen could hear was the pounding of her own pulse. Then, Casson coughed.

"Blessed be Our Smiling Lady! He lives!" the priest cried. "Son, can you hear me?"

"Father, I... what's going on?" the boy asked. He was still pale, but he was no longer blue, and the strangeness of death was completely gone from his face. Imoen felt like a heavy weight was lifted from her chest.

:D :P :P :P :D So appropriate. :D

"What... but... but it wasn't my faul..." the boy protested. Varci let go of Imoen's hand and shrank back against a wall as if he wanted to be invisible, which he probably did.

Now THAT'S a line. :D

"I don't think I've seen him walk at a normal pace at all," Imoen remarked. "I'm so glad everything turned out all right!" she told Tremain.

Rep +1

"Happy to help, we were!" Alora exclaimed.

"Still, I must insist upon rewarding you. There must be something I can do for you; name it, and I will do my best to fulfil your wishes!" the priest said.

Hehehehehehe... That is an amazingly cute end to that chapter.

Great work Cel. :D

VH

#19 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:13 AM

Like some roast pork in wine reduction and mashed sweet potatoes?

Imoen and Alora: *drool*

Special happy pies. :D

Special pies for going to special hells :D

Comment deleted for insanity reasons

:(

Now, the question is, if we feed them to Korgan and Mazzy, what happens?

Korgan shouldn't change too much, and Mazzy would spend a day red-faced and fidgeting :D

*snicker* *decides not to make another joke about Edwin and farm animals as it's way too easy. Especially his known affinity for cows and monkeys* :D

Edwin: *huffs* Simian.

Not necessarily.

Yeah, but she's not going to say that to him.

And that's usually when the bad things happen. :D

Famous last words, as it were.

Aleria: "Preferably a good smiting, but in this case, just a rescue mission."

That girl needs to grow up, then spend three months in Vegas with an American Express Black card. :D

You sure Vegas is the right place to send her? (Although I guess Disneyland would be even worse)

Very suitably creepy.

I try.

Such a nice young lady. :P

Yeah, she's a charmer.

*shivers* A little of the Taint coming through....

Just because it doesn't really come out until ToB doesn't mean it's not there, after all.

"Me too!" Alora added.

That's Alora and Immy for ya.

In a nutshell :D

:D :D :D :D :D So appropriate. :D

Sometimes you can't beat the stock dialogue :D

Now THAT'S a line. :D

Again, stock dialogue :D

[b]

Hehehehehehe... That is an amazingly cute end to that chapter.

Can't you just see Edwin pulling his hair in frustration with that reward? :D

Great work Cel. :D

Thank you :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com