Quarantine, Day Twenty-Two, Entry Five

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:08 AM

Notebrains:

1. Yes, I know this has been "a long day," having spawned five entries. Don't worry. I'm moving on after this. Kinda. :P

2. Fairly short section, but that's just because it's closing out this section, basically. Tying up some loose ends and all.

3. Colleen's in a mood. (Still? Again?) She's gone from pissy to... well... kinda depressed. Poor thing.

4. Also, more comic book nerding. Aieeeeeeee! And it's only going to get worse in later chapters. :shock:

5. I know I've been slow in posting. I'll try to pick up the pace. I blame that crazy Nexus War for slowing me down so much. Oh, the stories I could tell you about -that- game. But I won't. Because, God help me, I decided to tell a "short" story about another web-based MMORPG, and it turned into... this.

Eeek!

:D

-----

Quarantine Day Twenty-two
Entry Five

We stood there, silently, for a few moments after that, both of us trying to figure out just what to do next. Most of the Food Court’s other occupants were engrossed in their own activities, and not paying much attention to us – though a few bored individuals tossed a curious glance or two our way. But for the most part, we were pretty much alone… at least, as alone as two people could be, standing right smack in the middle of a public place. All in all, we had a modicum of privacy, which was a good thing, since I didn’t really want the general public being privy to this conversation.

I gently pushed myself out of the hug Jeff had pulled me into, and took a deep breath. “Can I ask you something?” I leaned back just a bit so that I could look up into his face.

“Sure.”

“You ever get sick of putting up with me?”

He didn’t hesitate. Not even a fraction of a second. “No.”

“No?”

“No.” He shook his head and smiled, then ruffled my hair a bit. “Colleen, you’ve been a good friend to me for a very long time, despite your numerous faults.” He chuckled and gave me a wink to let me know he was just teasing. “And the reason you’re my friend is because you have a good heart… and I won’t forget it, no matter how many times you piss me off… and I’m sure there’ll be lots of those.”

I managed a small smile. I was glad he had such… faith in me… and even if I’d already “earned” it, I felt this need to make sure I kept on earning it… that I continued justifying that faith, that… belief, in me. “Thanks, Jeff,” I said, slipping back into the hug. “And I’m sorry I gave you such a hard time earlier.”

“Don’t sweat it. It’s a non-issue, now, ok?”

“Right.”

“Listen,” he said, breaking into my thoughts, “as soon as the weather lets up, I think we ought to be on our way. We’ve been here for a while, now, and we’re not doing anyone much good hanging out in here. The folks holding this place, they’ve got things well in hand, and I’m thinking I… we… might be of more use somewhere else.”

Don’t think I didn’t notice that little hitch in your speech, there, Jeff. Heh.

He’d said “I” at first, then changed it to “we” midstream. I know he was just trying to spare my feelings… make it seem like I had something to contribute… make it seem like there was -something- I could do that would actually be more helpful than just the bare minimum of keeping my useless carcass alive. But we both knew that I was more of a liability than an asset. I was a crappy shot, was possessed of lousy survival instincts, and had this curiously strong penchant for getting myself into trouble. Admitting all those weaknesses didn’t exactly make me feel good, but I couldn’t lie to myself about it. Not when more was at stake than just my pride.

The way things were shaping up, if we stayed together, Jeff would be stuck protecting me instead of being able to use his skills and talents to help other folks. I’d just be… dead weight… and I didn’t want that. I didn’t want him worrying about me when there were more important things for him to be concerned with.

Good going, Colleen. As if everybody didn’t have enough problems already, now Jeff’s stuck babysitting you instead of actually doing something useful. Hope you like corners, Stupid, because you just painted yourself into one that you can’t find your way out of.

I couldn’t talk him into staying. I knew that nothing I could say would convince him that camping out behind these walls and these barricades was the best thing to do. He was too much of the hero type… (even if he didn’t look it,) too much the kind of guy that always felt he had to get his hands dirty and -do- something. I felt that way sometimes… a lot, actually. Had these dreams of playing the superheroine, coming in with my fancy powers of flight, limited invulnerability, and tactile telekinesis. (And if you catch -that- reference, I’ll give you a cookie.) But I didn’t have any superpowers. I didn’t even have any decent “mundane mortal” powers… and there was no way I was going to be saving anything or anyone but my own sorry skin… and even that was in doubt.

I sighed and took a seat, leaning forward, and resting my elbows on my knees. I tried looking up to make eye contact with him, but I just… couldn’t scrape together the energy to even lift my head. “C’mon, Jeff,” I said to him, “Let’s be honest here. I’m… I’m no good to you. And if you’re busy worrying about me, you might be too busy to notice that zombie over in the corner that’s about to bite your head off. Maybe I should… just stay here, y’know? These people here in the mall’ll watch out for me, and you’ll be better off on your own-“

A hand clamped over my mouth kept me from finishing that sentence. “Colleen, stop talking like that,” he said, gently chastising me. “Look. You can do this. I know you can.”

“I don’t know. I get the feeling this whole endeavor is doomed to failure.”

“Don’t give me that. It’s only because you’re not trying your best.”

I shot him a wry smile and topped it off with some rueful chuckling. “Yeah. Failure. When your best just isn’t good enough.”

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:57 AM

Yeah... MMORPG's are Teh EVUL. Still pretty addicted to Warcraft (ye should all blame Laufey for this, honestly!), so I know what you mean. Dunno how I still manage to keep up with the Attic and do some writing in between...

And no, Colleen, you're not useless at all! You can do so much to help Jeff, like... like... err, there was this thing now... ehmm, where was I going with this... oh... make toast? Meh, actually it's more important that you are Cute! Yup, that's it!

Oh, and one more thing...

I shot him a wry smile and topped it off with some rueful chuckling. “Yeah. Failure. When your best just isn’t good enough.”

I noticed they have put the old Google trick with entering 'failure' in search box and hitting the Lucky button again... :cry: It didn't work for several months just recently, but The Failure is back on again. :shock:

#3 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:42 PM

1. Yes, I know this has been "a long day," having spawned five entries. Don't worry. I'm moving on after this. Kinda. :shock:

Some days are better than others. :shock:

2. Fairly short section, but that's just because it's closing out this section, basically. Tying up some loose ends and all.

*eyebrow waggle*

3. Colleen's in a mood. (Still? Again?) She's gone from pissy to... well... kinda depressed. Poor thing.

Inara: "Colleen? In a mood? Stop the presses! That's news."

5. I know I've been slow in posting. I'll try to pick up the pace. I blame that crazy Nexus War for slowing me down so much. Oh, the stories I could tell you about -that- game. But I won't. Because, God help me, I decided to tell a "short" story about another web-based MMORPG, and it turned into... this.

Hah? You've been slow? I'm even worse. It's been how long since I posted anything?

But.. I've actually got a complete chapter being edited right now. Go figure, huh?

I gently pushed myself out of the hug Jeff had pulled me into, and took a deep breath. “Can I ask you something?” I leaned back just a bit so that I could look up into his face.

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

“Sure.”

Inara: "That is one -incredibly- patient guy."

“No.” He shook his head and smiled, then ruffled my hair a bit. “Colleen, you’ve been a good friend to me for a very long time, despite your numerous faults.” He chuckled and gave me a wink to let me know he was just teasing. “And the reason you’re my friend is because you have a good heart… and I won’t forget it, no matter how many times you piss me off… and I’m sure there’ll be lots of those.”

Inara: "Dozens of them, I'm sure."

“Listen,” he said, breaking into my thoughts, “as soon as the weather lets up, I think we ought to be on our way. We’ve been here for a while, now, and we’re not doing anyone much good hanging out in here. The folks holding this place, they’ve got things well in hand, and I’m thinking I… we… might be of more use somewhere else.”

Inara: "See. He sees it too. Taking the battle into the streets."

Tommy: "They've also got more people than we do."

Inara: "If we fight defensively, we're just going to lose."

Tommy: "I think the best we can manage is stalemate, and frankly, that's a hell of a lot better than dying."

Don’t think I didn’t notice that little hitch in your speech, there, Jeff. Heh.
[
He’d said “I” at first, then changed it to “we” midstream. I know he was just trying to spare my feelings… make it seem like I had something to contribute… make it seem like there was -something- I could do that would actually be more helpful than just the bare minimum of keeping my useless carcass alive. But we both knew that I was more of a liability than an asset. I was a crappy shot, was possessed of lousy survival instincts, and had this curiously strong penchant for getting myself into trouble. Admitting all those weaknesses didn’t exactly make me feel good, but I couldn’t lie to myself about it. Not when more was at stake than just my pride.

Inara: *opens her mouth to say something, then closes it* "The first part of fixing that problem is realizing you have one. And, this is a good sign."

The way things were shaping up, if we stayed together, Jeff would be stuck protecting me instead of being able to use his skills and talents to help other folks. I’d just be… dead weight… and I didn’t want that. I didn’t want him worrying about me when there were more important things for him to be concerned with.

Well, you'll just have to figure out a way to help.

Good going, Colleen. As if everybody didn’t have enough problems already, now Jeff’s stuck babysitting you instead of actually doing something useful. Hope you like corners, Stupid, because you just painted yourself into one that you can’t find your way out of.

Inara: "Well, I guess you'll just have to learn to be useful."

I couldn’t talk him into staying. I knew that nothing I could say would convince him that camping out behind these walls and these barricades was the best thing to do. He was too much of the hero type… (even if he didn’t look it,) too much the kind of guy that always felt he had to get his hands dirty and -do- something. I felt that way sometimes… a lot, actually. Had these dreams of playing the superheroine, coming in with my fancy powers of flight, limited invulnerability, and tactile telekinesis. (And if you catch -that- reference, I’ll give you a cookie.) But I didn’t have any superpowers. I didn’t even have any decent “mundane mortal” powers… and there was no way I was going to be saving anything or anyone but my own sorry skin… and even that was in doubt.

Go Superboy reference

I sighed and took a seat, leaning forward, and resting my elbows on my knees. I tried looking up to make eye contact with him, but I just… couldn’t scrape together the energy to even lift my head. “C’mon, Jeff,” I said to him, “Let’s be honest here. I’m… I’m no good to you. And if you’re busy worrying about me, you might be too busy to notice that zombie over in the corner that’s about to bite your head off. Maybe I should… just stay here, y’know? These people here in the mall’ll watch out for me, and you’ll be better off on your own-“

A hand clamped over my mouth kept me from finishing that sentence. “Colleen, stop talking like that,” he said, gently chastising me. “Look. You can do this. I know you can.”

I love that last line.

Let's hope Colleen learns quickly.

Good stuff Alpha

VH

#4 Weyoun

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:15 PM

She's had a busy day, emotion-wise.

Eeek!

Hey, at least Nexus War's not World of Warcraft. ;)

“No?”

What's a pissy mood between friends, no?

Better than being eaten, I suppose.

You could always use the lawn-mower. Let's just call it the Peter Jackson method of dealing with zombies. :D

Heh, this sorta reminded me of that episode of the animated Mask, in which two comicbook stoners try to get superpowers by diving into toxic waste. One of them turns into this cool putty-like mutant with superpowers, but the other guy just turns into a giant fish with glasses. :cry:

Ouch...
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#5 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:44 AM

Yeah... MMORPG's are Teh EVUL. Still pretty addicted to Warcraft (ye should all blame Laufey for this, honestly!), so I know what you mean.

I'm addicted to Battlefield 2142. Curse that game and it's fun blend of squad-level infantry tactics and automatic weapons.

You can do so much to help Jeff, like... like... err, there was this thing now... ehmm, where was I going with this... oh... make toast?

Actually, that's one thing she could do, all right. Colleen's an excellent cook. Really, really good. She just hasn't had much opportunity to show off her skills, seeing as how everyone's living off of MREs.

#6 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:49 AM

Inara: "Colleen? In a mood? Stop the presses! That's news."

CN: "Yeah, me in a bad mood happens as rarely as you in a bad mood." :D

Inara: "That is one -incredibly- patient guy."

JG: (Shrugs) "I'm no saint. She's my friend because she's a good person, underneath all the rest of it. It's usually been worth the hassle."

Inara: "See. He sees it too. Taking the battle into the streets."

Tommy: "They've also got more people than we do."

Inara: "If we fight defensively, we're just going to lose."

Tommy: "I think the best we can manage is stalemate, and frankly, that's a hell of a lot better than dying."

JG: "It's hard not to look at it 'big picture' when it comes to something like this. Of course, it's a little easier for me to say that seeing as how all the people I'd want to put in one place and keep safe... like the rest of my unit, for example, are nowhere to be found. Makes wanting to go -look- for them sound more and more like the option to pick."

Well, you'll just have to figure out a way to help.

CN: (Sighs and stares at ID) "Yeah. I could be zombie bait, right? No, wait, I'd need some brains for that."

Go Superboy reference

Clearly, you've spent too much time talking to me/reading stuff at Scans Daily.

;)

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:52 AM

She's had a busy day, emotion-wise.

That she has. And this is when she's "on break," as it were. Don't really want to think about how much worse it'll be when she's back to the fighting full-time.

Hey, at least Nexus War's not World of Warcraft.

Just as time consuming, though. Ask some of the others around here who play it.

What's a pissy mood between friends, no?

JG: "Pretty much. People argue. Even people who care about each other very much. And seeing the situation out there, it's actually surprising more people aren't arguing the way we've been. You ask me, that tiff was actually pretty tame."

You could always use the lawn-mower. Let's just call it the Peter Jackson method of dealing with zombies.

Finding gas for the mower probably wouldn't be all that easy. Ditto for fuel for chainsaws. :D

Heh, this sorta reminded me of that episode of the animated Mask, in which two comicbook stoners try to get superpowers by diving into toxic waste. One of them turns into this cool putty-like mutant with superpowers, but the other guy just turns into a giant fish with glasses.

Of course, you bringing that up reminds me of exactly one thing:

"Mayor West, you have lymphoma... probably from rolling around in that toxic waste..."

"Oh, my..."

;)

#8 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:48 AM

4. Also, more comic book nerding. Aieeeeeeee! And it's only going to get worse in later chapters. :shock:

Yay for comic books! If it wasn't for them, there'd be no choice but to leave the house sometimes and meet... p-p-people. Bah.

“Sure.”

Edwin: Now I'm sure that's supposed to be rhetorical.

I managed a small smile. I was glad he had such… faith in me… and even if I’d already “earned” it, I felt this need to make sure I kept on earning it… that I continued justifying that faith, that… belief, in me. “Thanks, Jeff,” I said, slipping back into the hug. “And I’m sorry I gave you such a hard time earlier.”

“Don’t sweat it. It’s a non-issue, now, ok?”

“Right.”

Edwin: Ohhh, isn't this sweet. How lovely. What? I am not being sarcastic. It means they can do some proper work now.

Imoen: Well, I'm sure at the very least I'm sure he'll want he's sure he can trust just to watch his back.

Imoen: I've hung with the hero crowd before, and look, it's not about powers or being a good shot. It's rising to the occasion and doing what you gotta do. Lots of people who become heroes never thought they would. Of course... quite a lot of them end up dead but you don't gotta think about that last part.

Aerie: At least you can say you tried! Unless you end up dead of course... hmmm...

Good little chapter! And to think I almost missed it somehow ;)

#9 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:25 AM

Yay for comic books! If it wasn't for them, there'd be no choice but to leave the house sometimes and meet... p-p-people. Bah.

Screw being social. I like living in my fantasy worlds, damn it. :D

Edwin: Now I'm sure that's supposed to be rhetorical.

Not necessarily. She's feeling pretty lousy. Sometimes you genuinely start to wonder about those things.

Imoen: Well, I'm sure at the very least I'm sure he'll want he's sure he can trust just to watch his back.

CN: (Sigh) "The problem isn't that I don't want to watch his back, or that I'd be a slacker about it. It's more that I might see something, and just not be able to -do- anything about it."

Imoen: I've hung with the hero crowd before, and look, it's not about powers or being a good shot. It's rising to the occasion and doing what you gotta do. Lots of people who become heroes never thought they would. Of course... quite a lot of them end up dead but you don't gotta think about that last part.

CN: "I... I guess you would know, huh?" (Sighs again) "It'd be easier if we both just had big sisters who knew all the tricks that we could just tag along with."

Good little chapter! And to think I almost missed it somehow

Glad you didn't. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com