Ember's Tale 52: Searching for Answers

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:53 PM

Chapter 52: Searching for Answers

The following morning was dull and grey, with clouds that promised rain later. The two druids headed to the edge of the forest after breakfast, accompanied by Khalid and Minsc. Jaheira sat down, with crossed legs, on a patch of dry grass,and beckoned for Ember to sit down in front of her; Khalid stood next to Jaheira, watching them both and smiling encouragingly. Minsc, on the other hand, stood a few feet away and scowled menacingly off into the distance, with Boo perched on his shoulder. The hamster's whiskers were quivering with excitement; it looked for all the world like Boo was trying to stand watch along with his owner.

"Are you ready?" Jaheira asked.

"I think so," Ember said. Will she see the flaw in me?

"Good. Do not heal me until I stretch out my hand towards you," Jaheira said. She rolled up a sleeve, displaying a slight, yellowish bruise on her lower arm. Ember had given it to her during practice a few days ago; Jaheira had insisted the injury was too light to hamper her, and had chosen to let it heal naturally rather than waste a spell or potion on a trivial thing, as she had put it.

"I won't," Ember said. If she could see something wrong in herself, who knew what Jaheira would be able to see? She watched as the other druid settled into her meditations. Jaheira's posture relaxed, and her face went slack, just like the other times Ember had watched her enter a trance.

Moving as though she was made of lead, Jaheira stretched out her hand. Ember nervously reached out for it, placed her own hands over the bruise, and healed it. Fire coursed through her, the blue radiance of a healing spell enveloped her hands, and Jaheira flinched. Ember immediately let go of the half-elf's hand and moved away from her. "What did she see?!"

"W-wait," Khalid said. "S-she is n-not back with us y-yet." They waited patiently, and it was not long before Jaheira drew a deep breath and opened her eyes.

"Did you learn anything?" Ember asked anxiously.

"Let me catch my breath," Jaheira said. Khalid crouched beside her and took her hand; she squeezed it tight and gave him a brief, reassuring smile. "Some of what I saw was as you told me; it acts exactly like a regular healing spell, and the energy that drives it does come from you," she told Ember. "From what I could tell, it does not deplete you in any way, nor does it impact the Balance, as it would have to if you truly drew such power from nothing. You... you must have a source of power within your very being that allows you to do this."

"Is that source good or bad?" Ember asked.

"Do I look like a paladin?" Jaheira asked wryly. "All I know with absolute certainty is that this spell came from you. If anything, I expect it is coloured according to your nature."

"But was there anything at all unnatural about it?" Ember asked doggedly, earning herself an odd look from the older druid.

"Beyond the fact that you can do it at all? No. I saw no unnatural energies in what you did," Jaheira said.

"I saw you flinch."

"You would have flinched as well. In the moment that you healed me, your presence flared like a beacon. You became almost blinding to my heightened awareness. But as soon as the healing spell had entered me, you became as before."

"And what was I before?"

"When you are not drawing upon this gift, you have a perfectly normal, human presence."

Ember picked up a fallen leaf and twirled it between her fingers, not sure if she should feel relieved or disappointed. "Well, now you've seen what I can do," she said. "Do you have any ideas as to why?"

Jaheira hesitated before answering. "Other than the chance that it might tie in with your parentage, there are no theories that would not be speculative. We simply do not know enough, and hazarding wild guesses would not be fruitful, I believe." She stood up and methodically brushed dirt and leaves off her clothes with her hands.

Ember let go of the leaf she'd been holding, and got up from the ground. A gust of wind took hold of the leaf, and it drifted a few feet away before landing on a mossy stone. "So, if we are not going to hazard any wild guesses," she said in a casual tone, wondering if Jaheira might have made some of those already, "I suppose I should try to find out what my parentage is."

"Yes, that is most likely the wisest course of investigation," Jaheira said, "especially since we know of one person who might know the answer."

A bird chirped from a nearby treebranch, almost obscuring the quiet murmuring of Minsc telling Boo about which enemies could be lurking behind the treetrunks.

"Are you seriously suggesting I try to track down Elminster?" Ember finally said.

"No. I am suggesting that Khalid and I attempt to find him."

Ember looked from Jaheira to Khalid and back to Jaheira. "You'd already decided to do this," she said.

"We t-talked about it last night," Khalid said. "You said you wanted to track the ass-s-sassins again, but you are w-welcome to come with us instead, if you like."

"How do you even expect to find him?" Ember asked. "As far as I know, he just pops up out of nowhere and says what he wants, then vanishes again."

"Oh, there are ways," Khalid said with a smile. "You m-may not have known, but Gorion was a Harper..."

---

The three travellers had returned to Gullykin that afternoon, in the middle of a heavy rainfall. All of them seemed pleased to learn they'd be returning to Baldur's Gate; the two mages were bound to prefer cities to wilderness, and Jaheira had learned that Kivan had a score of his own to settle with someone involved in the plot against Ember.

Alora was the only one who had seemed upset by the news of their departure. Imoen had asked the young halfling if she was sad to leave her relatives, but that was not the problem; she had thought they'd go back to the city without her. Ember and Imoen had allayed Alora's fears on that account, and her mood had immediately reversed; she had talked their ears off about all the fun stuff they'd do when they got back to the city. Jaheira had not been the least bit surprised to hear Kivan mutter that the halfling's chattering would drive them all insane.

Jaheira took a sip of her mulled wine and glanced across the hall. Upon hearing that they would leave the following day, Mayor Luckyfoot had immediately called for a farewell party, and the halfling village had arranged a feast in the winery faster than most humans would have made a simple dinner. There were bright streamers hanging from the ceiling beams, and a long table along one wall held a wide selection of hot and cold dishes; steaks, sausages, fruit, cakes, ale, puddings, and other delicacies. Ember and most of her friends sat around a large table in a corner near the entrance, talking loudly and laughing. Jaheira had walked past them as she fetched her wine, and judging by what she had heard, Ember and Imoen were exchanging tales of their separate adventures. The Red Wizard was rarely far from them; Jaheira only hoped Ember showed discretion in what she shared at the table.

"What are you thinking, my love?" Khalid asked. He sat down on the bench beside her and handed her one of two small pork pies he'd fetched from the long table.

"Thank you, dear. I'm just watching the children," Jaheira said as she accepted the pie. She bit into the hot, savoury morsel and smiled at Khalid. When they first arrived in the village, the mayor's wife, Gerta, had served them these little pies. Jaheira had taken a liking to them, and now Khalid went out of his way to obtain them for her when the opportunity arose.

"What are you thinking?" Khalid asked again as Jaheira brushed the last of the pie crumbs from her hands. She looked at him, then back at Ember's group.

"I wonder if we are doing the right thing," she said. "The Iron Throne is a formidable foe. They could use our assistance in that matter."

"She has c-capable friends. They will be fine, I am sure."

"But will she be fine? If our guess is correct..."

"Remember, my dear, you told her n-not to hazard wild guesses. You can't help her unless y-you know what is wrong."

"What if Entillis's people have no idea where Elminster may be?"

"Then we go to Waterdeep and look f-for leads. Don't worry, my love. We'll find him, and we'll get answers."

Jaheira sighed heavily. Ember had declined Khalid's offer of searching for Elminster with them, as Khalid had expected. As much as it concerned her, the girl was determined to continue investigating the assassination plot, and she had also doubted that Elminster would give her any answers. Apparently, they had not parted on the best terms, and Ember didn't think the old wizard would care at all to see her again. Elminster may mean well, but he's always been too fond of secrecy. And at this point, secrecy can no longer serve her. "If only we had known Gorion back when he found her," she said. "Maybe he would have let us know who she was and why she's so special, back then."

"I always imagined she was some kind of heiress who had to be kept h-hidden," Khalid said.

"A fine guess, my dear," Jaheira said with a brief smile, "especially if she truly is one of the Children." Again, she looked across the room to the table where Ember sat with her friends, smiling and laughing. The girl was already wearing the new armour her friends had bought for her in Beregost. It was clearly made by a skilled craftsman, and its reddish brown leather was deeply enchanted. It would protect her well. "Her presence is human... but it is brighter and stronger than most I have seen. It could be accounted for by her strong will-"

"Which we b-both know she has," Khalid commented.

"-or it could be a sign of her heritage," Jaheira continued. "Evil dreams, bloodlust, gifts of a divine nature and being pursued by her parentage... the one who wants her dead could be a sibling, perhaps. Nothing of what has happened to her contradicts the prophecies."

"H-how could a Bhaalspawn h-heal like that, though?"

"Who knows what can be done with divine blood?" She sighed. "Her ability to use it for good does not mean it could not have such a source, especially since this source did not willingly give it to her. It is truly hers, though. I think it is safe for her to use it."

Khalid put an arm around her. "Is she ready for us to part? Has she l-learned enough about the druidic ways?"

"I... think she will manage, for now," Jaheira said. "She has grasped the basics, and she takes the matter very seriously. I was worried about how she'd handle herself in combat, but no longer. And the two rangers will be of immeasurable aid to her."

"Should we tell her what we s-suspect?"

"No. If we are wrong, it could cause her much harm. She is troubled enough already; I do not want to burden her with further concerns."

The halfling musicians began playing a loud, merry tune, and people gathered in the middle of the floor to dance. Imoen and Alora dragged Ember from the table, and soon the three girls had joined a long daisy chain of dancers.

"I don't like leaving her like this," Jaheira said quietly.

"N-neither do I, my love."

---

The party didn't end until well past midnight. The rain had long stopped; the clouds were being torn apart by a soft breeze, and it was markedly colder than it'd been during the day. There was a chilly edge to the air.

As soon as the burrow was quiet and Imoen was asleep, Ember slipped out of their room and hurried to her meditation spot. They had planned on an early start in the morning, and she knew she should get her rest, but there was something she needed to do first.

She sat down on the pale, damp grass and reached out to her surroundings, listening rather than thinking. When her mind was quiet, she reached within, searching for the flaw she'd seen a few nights ago. It did not take long to find it; it seemed to be at the root of her being. The vibrant nimbus still obscured most of it, and almost seemed to cage it.

Struggling to maintain the trance, she focused her attention on the nimbus that surrounded the flaw. There was no wrongness to that, no alienness. It belonged to her, not to the flaw, she realized. Could it be...? She let herself become aware of her hands and of the latent gifts she held within her without leaving the trance or losing her focus, and commanded the fiery energy to heal a minor cut on the back of her hand.

The blinding rush of sensations knocked her forcefully out of the trance, and she fell backwards. After a few deep breaths, she opened her eyes and looked up at the autumn sky. Her head hurt terribly, but it was worth it.

"The gifts don't come from the flaw. They come from its cage," she told the stars above.

#2 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:59 PM

The following morning was dull and grey, with clouds that promised rain later. The two druids headed to the edge of the forest after breakfast, accompanied by Khalid and Minsc. Jaheira sat down, with crossed legs, on a patch of dry grass,and beckoned for Ember to sit down in front of her; Khalid stood next to Jaheira, watching them both and smiling encouragingly. Minsc, on the other hand, stood a few feet away and scowled menacingly off into the distance, with Boo perched on his shoulder. The hamster's whiskers were quivering with excitement; it looked for all the world like Boo was trying to stand watch along with his owner.

Your descriptions really are something -- I won't go through them all, but they really add to the story, and the small touches (what they see, small environmental happenings) are so so so good.

I hope she learnt nothing too bad...

"Let me catch my breath," Jaheira said. Khalid crouched beside her and took her hand; she squeezed it tight and gave him a brief, reassuring smile. "Some of what I saw was as you told me; it acts exactly like a regular healing spell, and the energy that drives it does come from you," she told Ember. "From what I could tell, it does not deplete you in any way, nor does it impact the Balance, as it would have to if you truly drew such power from nothing. You... you must have a source of power within your very being that allows you to do this."

Your Khalid and Jaheira are super-sweet, also :)

Ember let go of the leaf she'd been holding, and got up from the ground. A gust of wind took hold of the leaf, and it drifted a few feet away before landing on a mossy stone. "So, if we are not going to hazard any wild guesses," she said in a casual tone, wondering if Jaheira might have made some of those already, "I suppose I should try to find out what my parentage is."

See -- the leaf is part of that imagery I was mentioning before!

A bird chirped from a nearby treebranch, almost obscuring the quiet murmuring of Minsc telling Boo about which enemies could be lurking behind the treetrunks.

:) Aww, Minsc <3! :)

:)

"The gifts don't come from the flaw. They come from its cage," she told the stars above.

Intriguing. And as good as always!

#3 Guest_Ananke_*

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:46 PM

Hmm... So Ember trusts Jaheira enough to let her test herself, but not enough to tell her about the flaw she feels in herself? That's curious... is she apprehensive about rejection?

I loved Jaheira and Khalid. If they aren't in the primary party, perchance you may let them both live? :)

I loved this sentence! It seems so effortlessly cut, framed and put in precisely the correct place. Like a cameo. Which is, I suppose, where the theatrical meaning of the word comes from. :)

Also, if you permit a minor correction? (I'm not sure if people ever want this, so, if you don't, please just kindly tell me off?)

"All I know with absolute certainty that this spell came from you.

You are missing an "is". And - and I know this may sound ludicrous coming from me - you don't need to stress the final "you" with bold; the position at the end of the sentence emphasises it already for you.

Thank you for the chapter!

#4 Guest_Scavenger_*

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:08 AM

Nice detailed description.

So much fuss over the weakest healing spell in game :) Just joiking.

"Yes, that is most likely the wisest course of investigation," Jaheira said, "especially since we know of one person who might know the answer."

"Are you seriously suggesting I try to track down Elminster?" Ember finally said.

It is hard to find someone who teleports around ).

"She has c-capable friends. They will be fine, I am sure."

"But will she be fine? If our guess is correct..."

"Remember, my dear, you told her n-not to hazard wild guesses. You can't help her unless y-you know what is wrong."

"Then we go to Waterdeep and look f-for leads. Don't worry, my love. We'll find him, and we'll get answers."

I suspect that Ember will get her answers faster than they.

"I always imagined she was some kind of heiress who had to be kept h-hidden," Khalid said.

Indeed she is!

Struggling to maintain the trance, she focused her attention on the nimbus that surrounded the flaw. There was no wrongness to that, no alienness. It belonged to her, not to the flaw, she realized. Could it be...? She let herself become aware of her hands and of the latent gifts she held within her without leaving the trance or losing her focus, and commanded the fiery energy to heal a minor cut on the back of her hand.

The blinding rush of sensations knocked her forcefully out of the trance, and she fell backwards. After a few deep breaths, she opened her eyes and looked up at the autumn sky. Her head hurt terribly, but it was worth it.

Good descriptions. I do not like it when magic is portrayed in casual way, like very trivial thing. Even if it can be theoretically mostly mechanistic process in given setting, it is not really interesting. Magic should bring new way to perceive the world, or at least add some subtle but important nuances in a usual ways.
And learning magic should be mostly spiritual process, not like "get new level - choose new spell". The only one game with good level of details was the second KOTOR, I think. I mean visions and mental conversations with tutor leading to new «spells» (or Force powers, do not remember correct name).

Uh...rambling is over ). Overall nice chapter, I loved the level of detalisation - it was almost possible to see scenes.

#5 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:05 PM

"Are you ready?" Jaheira asked.

She is really worried about that isn`t she? :)

"Do I look like a paladin?" Jaheira asked wryly. "All I know with absolute certainty that this spell came from you. If anything, I expect it is coloured according to your nature."

Heh, Jaheria... always practical.

Ember looked from Jaheira to Khalid and back to Jaheira. "You'd already decided to do this," she said.

If anyone can find the gandalf ripoff it is Jaheira.

Alora was the only one who had seemed upset by the news of their departure. Imoen had asked the young halfling if she was sad to leave her relatives, but that was not the problem; she had thought they'd go back to the city without her. Ember and Imoen had allayed Alora's fears on that account, and her mood had immediately reversed; she had talked their ears off about all the fun stuff they'd do when they got back to the city. Jaheira had not been the least bit surprised to hear Kivan mutter that the halfling's chattering would drive them all insane.

Heh, just let Alora talk to your eneimes. They will surrender. :)

"Thank you, dear. I'm just watching the children," Jaheira said as she accepted the pie. She bit into the hot, savoury morsel and smiled at Khalid. When they first arrived in the village, the mayor's wife, Gerta, had served them these little pies. Jaheira had taken a liking to them, and now Khalid went out of his way to obtain them for her when the opportunity arose.

Aw, how sweet.

"Who knows what can be done with divine blood?" She sighed. "Her ability to use it for good does not mean it could not have such a source, especially since this source did not willingly give it to her. It is truly hers, though. I think it is safe for her to use it."

Interesting.

She sat down on the pale, damp grass and reached out to her surroundings, listening rather than thinking. When her mind was quiet, she reached within, searching for the flaw she'd seen a few nights ago. It did not take long to find it; it seemed to be at the root of her being. The vibrant nimbus still obscured most of it, and almost seemed to cage it.

Hmm....

Exciting. I look forward to more.

#6 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:52 PM

Your descriptions really are something -- I won't go through them all, but they really add to the story, and the small touches (what they see, small environmental happenings) are so so so good.

I'm glad you like them - the story would be just talk without them :)

I hope she learnt nothing too bad...

Nothing bad at all, really.

"Let me catch my breath," Jaheira said. Khalid crouched beside her and took her hand; she squeezed it tight and gave him a brief, reassuring smile.

Your Khalid and Jaheira are super-sweet, also :D

I figure they deserve it :)

See -- the leaf is part of that imagery I was mentioning before!

Again, I am very happy my little break-up-the-dialogue constructs are working so well :)

:) Aww, Minsc <3! :D

I don't do him justice most of the time.

Intriguing. And as good as always!

Thank you :)

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:57 PM

Hmm... So Ember trusts Jaheira enough to let her test herself, but not enough to tell her about the flaw she feels in herself? That's curious... is she apprehensive about rejection?

Despite training with Jaheira, she's not bosom buddies with her, and won't share everything - she spent weeks without mentioning that there was anything at all odd about herself, after all. At this stage, only Kivan and Imoen know about the flaw.

I loved Jaheira and Khalid. If they aren't in the primary party, perchance you may let them both live? :)

'Khalid lives' has been a publically known fact about my story since chapter six :D

I loved this sentence! It seems so effortlessly cut, framed and put in precisely the correct place. Like a cameo. Which is, I suppose, where the theatrical meaning of the word comes from. :)

From the online etymology dictionary:
Cameo
1222, "carved precious stone with two layers of colors," from It. cammeo (13c.), from M.L. cammæus, perhaps ult. from Arabic qamaa'il "flower buds," or Pers. chumahan "agate." Transferred sense of "small character or part that stands out from other minor parts" in a play, etc., is from 1851.

And thanks :)

Also, if you permit a minor correction? (I'm not sure if people ever want this, so, if you don't, please just kindly tell me off?)

I'm the kind of person who likes to know where she's typoed so she can fix it :)

Thank you for the chapter!

Thank you for commenting :)

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:10 PM

Nice detailed description.

Thank you.

So much fuss over the weakest healing spell in game :) Just joiking.

Actually, I think a low level lay hands can be weaker :)

It is hard to find someone who teleports around ).

No kidding.

I suspect that Ember will get her answers faster than they.

Perhaps, but I suspect they all will know before they meet again.

Indeed she is!

Quite right :)

Good descriptions. I do not like it when magic is portrayed in casual way, like very trivial thing. Even if it can be theoretically mostly mechanistic process in given setting, it is not really interesting. Magic should bring new way to perceive the world, or at least add some subtle but important nuances in a usual ways.

That's why I've been spending so much time letting Ember observe these oddities in herself, and tried to emphasize the difference between this and regular magic.

And learning magic should be mostly spiritual process, not like "get new level - choose new spell". The only one game with good level of details was the second KOTOR, I think. I mean visions and mental conversations with tutor leading to new «spells» (or Force powers, do not remember correct name).

In Jade Empire, magic was in your fighting style. Someone had to teach it to you, and you had to train to get better at it.
(As a complete contrast, in Anarchy Online you install nano programs into a nano compiling unit which is built into your body, and when you execute the nanos, it looks like you're typing on an invisible keyboard.)

Uh...rambling is over ). Overall nice chapter, I loved the level of detalisation - it was almost possible to see scenes.

Thank you :) I was seeing some of them quite clearly in my head and tried to convey that.

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:15 PM

She is really worried about that isn`t she? :)

It's more of a 'is it that large and overwhelming' fear than a 'will I be found out' fear.

]
"Do I look like a paladin?" Jaheira asked wryly. "All I know with absolute certainty that this spell came from you. If anything, I expect it is coloured according to your nature."

Heh, Jaheria... always practical.

Pretty much has to be, with everything she has to cope with.

Heh, just let Alora talk to your eneimes. They will surrender. :)

Hmm, now there's an idea...

Aw, how sweet.

Interesting.

Hmm....

The way I see it, Ember claims some power from the essence whenever she defies it. This power becomes fully her own, and is what she uses to heal etc. The 'cage' she has made to protect herself from the essence is made from power taken from the essence.

Exciting. I look forward to more.

Hopefully I won't spend quite as long getting the next chapter out of my head :)

#10 Guest_Jean_*

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:23 PM

Jaheira had not been the least bit surprised to hear Kivan mutter that the halfling's chattering would drive them all insane.

Alas, there's no such thing as aspirin in the Forgotten Realms.

You're a lucky, lucky woman, Jaheira. :)

It's for the best in the long run, believe me, Khalid.

That's heartening. :)

Thanks, Cel.

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:33 PM

Jaheira had not been the least bit surprised to hear Kivan mutter that the halfling's chattering would drive them all insane.

Alas, there's no such thing as aspirin in the Forgotten Realms.

Or earplugs. And neither Imoen nor Edwin can cast Silence at the moment, I think.

You're a lucky, lucky woman, Jaheira. :)

She knows it :)

It's for the best in the long run, believe me, Khalid.

And he'll never know why.

That's heartening. :)

I decided I needed her to feel a bit positive about what's going on right now :)

Thanks, Cel.

Thank you for commenting :)

#12 Guest_IronDragon_*

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

Hi Cel.

Great chapter as always.

Thanks for tackling the origin of the Bhaal spawn powers. All too often our characters accept these things without question or concern. It was refreshing to watch characters trying to figure out just what they are and why does this one particular person have them.

I know I have been lax in commenting. I blame RL and the muse having me in a choke hold. Rest assured I am reading and enjoying your story.

#13 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:02 AM

The hamster's whiskers were quivering with excitement; it looked for all the world like Boo was trying to stand watch along with his owner.

Raven: "Well, our Boo has high-resolution sensors which are tied in with our helmet tactical HUDs. So... she kinda -can- keep watch. Effectively." ;)

"Oh, there are ways," Khalid said with a smile. "You m-may not have known, but Gorion was a Harper..."

Harlequin: "Our Dad liked his secrets..."

Raven: "Though he didn't keep very many."

Harlequin: "The ones he did, though."

Raven: "Yeah. Doozies."

Raven: "Anything's better than ration bars."

CN: "Tell me about it. You can live off MREs, you just don't want to."

JG: "It's funny how that works. They're intended to keep you alive in the field. Problem is, eating the things just kinda makes you want to -die-."

She is. In a sense. It's just not money or a title that she'll be inheriting.

Um... it might just be because it's late, or it could just be because I'm dumb, but... I'm not following what she's talking about here.

#14 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:26 AM

"Good. Do not heal me until I stretch out my hand towards you," Jaheira said. She rolled up a sleeve, displaying a slight, yellowish bruise on her lower arm. Ember had given it to her during practice a few days ago; Jaheira had insisted the injury was too light to hamper her, and had chosen to let it heal naturally rather than waste a spell or potion on a trivial thing, as she had put it.

I’m sure Khalid kissed it to make it better! :D

"Do I look like a paladin?" Jaheira asked wryly. "All I know with absolute certainty is that this spell came from you. If anything, I expect it is coloured according to your nature."

Now you need to find someone who can cast Detect Alignment on you and voila, all done!

Jaheira hesitated before answering. "Other than the chance that it might tie in with your parentage, there are no theories that would not be speculative. We simply do not know enough, and hazarding wild guesses would not be fruitful, I believe." She stood up and methodically brushed dirt and leaves off her clothes with her hands.

But you have a plan to find it out… of course you do, you would not be called Jaheira otherwise. :)

"How do you even expect to find him?" Ember asked. "As far as I know, he just pops up out of nowhere and says what he wants, then vanishes again."

Yup… he probably has sat down at the same table with Elminster and planned some of their missions… scary thought, that. :?

All in a good day’s job of a good husband… who probably will be rewarded as the night unfolds. :D

That’s some running around for them to do… you’re really making sure that they don’t interfere with the last step in Ember’s BG1 drama. ;)

"-or it could be a sign of her heritage," Jaheira continued. "Evil dreams, bloodlust, gifts of a divine nature and being pursued by her parentage... the one who wants her dead could be a sibling, perhaps. Nothing of what has happened to her contradicts the prophecies."

I can see why she doesn’t want to tell Ember any of this as she just doesn’t have a solid proof to this theory. And if the guess is wrong… it could do a lot of harm.

That’s very nice to know… but now you have another question: What comes from the flaw, then? ;)

#15 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:12 PM

Great chapter as always.

I'm glad to hear that; this one made me suffer ;)

Thanks for tackling the origin of the Bhaal spawn powers. All too often our characters accept these things without question or concern. It was refreshing to watch characters trying to figure out just what they are and why does this one particular person have them.

With the way she's developing, there's no way she'd learn to see nature and not try to apply it to the oddities in herself.

I know I have been lax in commenting. I blame RL and the muse having me in a choke hold. Rest assured I am reading and enjoying your story.

Hey, I've spent a month with wonderful RL, so don't apologize ;)

#16 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

The hamster's whiskers were quivering with excitement; it looked for all the world like Boo was trying to stand watch along with his owner.

Raven: "Well, our Boo has high-resolution sensors which are tied in with our helmet tactical HUDs. So... she kinda -can- keep watch. Effectively." ;)

Minsc: Boo is Boo is Boo.

Harlequin: "Our Dad liked his secrets..."

Raven: "Though he didn't keep very many."

Harlequin: "The ones he did, though."

Raven: "Yeah. Doozies."

The one thing that sucks is how to explain Imoen. I figure she's some kind of Faerunian Princess Leia and hiding in the PCs spotlight.

Raven: "Anything's better than ration bars."

CN: "Tell me about it. You can live off MREs, you just don't want to."

JG: "It's funny how that works. They're intended to keep you alive in the field. Problem is, eating the things just kinda makes you want to -die-."

That's what you get for not hiring halflings as your caterers.

She is. In a sense. It's just not money or a title that she'll be inheriting.

Sure there's a title!

Um... it might just be because it's late, or it could just be because I'm dumb, but... I'm not following what she's talking about here.

When she 'looks' at the energy that constitutes herself (I figure it's some kind of inner eye thing, that if she's deep enough in a trance she can 'see' the essence of nature and so on and so forth), she sees some kind of wrongness that is wrapped in brighter energy. The flaw is the core of the essence, and the bright stuff around it is what she's taken from the flaw whenever she's resisted the essence (and which her soul has then used as a cage to protect the rest of her from the essence. Hey, if the game writers can throw lofty concepts around, so can I!). The energy that fuels her healing comes from that stuff, not directly from the essence.
Clear as mud, neh?

#17 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:28 PM

I’m sure Khalid kissed it to make it better! :D

I'd say that's quite likely, yes.

Now you need to find someone who can cast Detect Alignment on you and voila, all done!

Problem is, she'd come out Neutral Good, and then what?

But you have a plan to find it out… of course you do, you would not be called Jaheira otherwise. :)

Oh yes. The original draft of this chapter had her and Khalid discuss said plan at the very beginning, and the test was from Jaheira's POV. It was an overdramatic mess that was very uninteresting to read.

Yup… he probably has sat down at the same table with Elminster and planned some of their missions… scary thought, that. :?

It could be worse. Drizzle and Elmo could have been planning together...

All in a good day’s job of a good husband… who probably will be rewarded as the night unfolds. :D

I'll have you know I knew you'd say something like that.

That’s some running around for them to do… you’re really making sure that they don’t interfere with the last step in Ember’s BG1 drama. ;)

Yep. I knew they'd be parting at this point before I knew how I'd accomplish it. They'll never be permanent partners.

I can see why she doesn’t want to tell Ember any of this as she just doesn’t have a solid proof to this theory. And if the guess is wrong… it could do a lot of harm.

Exactly. Not that I think Ember would go into a berserker rage like her AU self, but she is not quite ready for such ideas yet.

That’s very nice to know… but now you have another question: What comes from the flaw, then? ;)

Bad dreams, bloodlust, and scaly claws.

#18 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:19 PM

Chapter 52: Searching for Answers

Jaheira is always seeing flaws in people, whether they exist or not.

Moving as though she was made of lead, Jaheira stretched out her hand. Ember nervously reached out for it, placed her own hands over the bruise, and healed it. Fire coursed through her, the blue radiance of a healing spell enveloped her hands, and Jaheira flinched. Ember immediately let go of the half-elf's hand and moved away from her. "What did she see?!"

Something she didn’t like very much, I assume. :lol:

Patience, young Bhaalspawn. :lol:

"But was there anything at all unnatural about it?" Ember asked doggedly, earning herself an odd look from the older druid.

Normal people can’t do it at all, but there are all sorts of possible explanations.

"Beyond the fact that you can do it at all? No. I saw no unnatural energies in what you did," Jaheira said.

"I saw you flinch."

"You would have flinched as well. In the moment that you healed me, your presence flared like a beacon. You became almost blinding to my heightened awareness. But as soon as the healing spell had entered me, you became as before."

Sunglasses for the inner eye are probably an untapped market.

Sounds logical. Of course, logic is often just a way of going wrong with confidence.

That seems to combine both sadism and masochism. Well done on getting Jaheira’s character right. :lol:

“Well if you’d turned left instead of right, you’d be fighting a pair of manticores at the moment. Would you like me to teleport you there? No? Ah, well, you’d better carry on then.”

Ed Greenwood, as Elminster, DMing a game I was playing in, in response to a comment that we were in a real mess and should have gone a different way.

The three travellers had returned to Gullykin that afternoon, in the middle of a heavy rainfall. All of them seemed pleased to learn they'd be returning to Baldur's Gate; the two mages were bound to prefer cities to wilderness, and Jaheira had learned that Kivan had a score of his own to settle with someone involved in the plot against Ember.

Also, Edwin wants an audience for his brilliance, Imoen wants more suspects around for her stealing, and Kivan doesn’t care where they go if it takes him closer to Tazok.

If only there was some way to use it as a weapon.

Nice to see Khalid happy and destined to survive.

Then I suppose you’ll have to get out whatever the Harper’s have as an equivalent to the bat-signal.

Jaheira sighed heavily. Ember had declined Khalid's offer of searching for Elminster with them, as Khalid had expected. As much as it concerned her, the girl was determined to continue investigating the assassination plot, and she had also doubted that Elminster would give her any answers. Apparently, they had not parted on the best terms, and Ember didn't think the old wizard would care at all to see her again. Elminster may mean well, but he's always been too fond of secrecy. And at this point, secrecy can no longer serve her. "If only we had known Gorion back when he found her," she said. "Maybe he would have let us know who she was and why she's so special, back then."

Depends how secret he wanted to keep it, and how much he was willing to trust you.

"H-how could a Bhaalspawn h-heal like that, though?"

I think it’s a losing battle to simply tell her not to use it without giving her a reason why, which you seem unwilling to do.

Neat explanation for why the taint of Bhaal gives some people healing abilities.

#19 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:43 PM

Normal people can’t do it at all, but there are all sorts of possible explanations.

Look, now you're agreeing with Jaheira.

See?

Sunglasses for the inner eye are probably an untapped market.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were available in Sigil.

That seems to combine both sadism and masochism. Well done on getting Jaheira’s character right. :lol:

You really don't like her, do you? :P

“Well if you’d turned left instead of right, you’d be fighting a pair of manticores at the moment. Would you like me to teleport you there? No? Ah, well, you’d better carry on then.”

Ed Greenwood, as Elminster, DMing a game I was playing in, in response to a comment that we were in a real mess and should have gone a different way.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, Edwin wants an audience for his brilliance, Imoen wants more suspects around for her stealing, and Kivan doesn’t care where they go if it takes him closer to Tazok.

My Imoen isn't exactly the most thievish thief in existence, you know.

If only there was some way to use it as a weapon.

Megaphones weren't invented yet.

Nice to see Khalid happy and destined to survive.

Yeah. I like him and would have him in my party far more often if I didn't have to kill his wife to do so comfortably.

Depends how secret he wanted to keep it, and how much he was willing to trust you.

You'll note that a lot of people in Candlekeep who were there when he arrived with her are aware of who Ember is. I think my Gorion got more cautious after that experience and that that is why nobody knows Imoen is also a Bhaalspawn.

I think it’s a losing battle to simply tell her not to use it without giving her a reason why, which you seem unwilling to do.

Then I guess it helps that Ember is already avoiding it.

Neat explanation for why the taint of Bhaal gives some people healing abilities.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com