Reclaiming (Maiyn) - Chapter 34

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:09 PM

Departure of a Hero

-----------------------

Coran had a hope that the evening would be peaceful, despite the motley band whose company he was in. Mazzy was busying herself with some parchment and a quill, preparing what she called 'battle strategies'. Montaron was sharpening his sword while Xzar poured over a book; Coran assumed it was his spellbook, but it wasn't at all obvious if it was, and Valygar seemed to be content to assume the green-robed man was merely a fan of fiction.

So the elf aided the ranger as they made the meal, with Aerie and Nalia occasionally helping out but mainly just lazing around and chatting. Before long, as Coran feared, the topic returned to that of magic.

"Not all magic is evil," noted Nalia casually, idly ignoring Valygar's claims that it would corrupt even the purest of souls. "And look at Aerie -- she is skilled with the art but she also follows her god faithfully. How can you say she'd ever become subverted by it?"

Valygar regarded Aerie sceptically for a moment. "I'm not a man of the gods, so I don't know," he said carefully. "The power could be as much of a pull for a holy woman as it is for one who is as faithless as I."

Aerie's eyes widened slightly. "Y-you don't worship a god?"

"No." The ranger's attention went back to tending the fire.

"But why not?" pressed Aerie, seeming to be genuinely surprised. "Baervan has helped me to get through so much.... I don't know what I'd have done if I didn't have the belief..."

"I believe in me," shrugged Valygar. "I work to protect nature, and I rely on myself. I don't need to offer any form of worship to a deity just because it is there."

The avariel frowned. "Don't you think they deserve your service? They... they protect you-"

"No, Aerie," the ranger replied calmly. "I protect myself. No god was there for me when I was being hunted by the Cowled Wizards."

"Because you didn't reach out to them," protested Aerie stubbornly.

"No god was there for me when my parents fell to my own hands."

A heavy silence descended around the group and Coran became painfully aware of the noise his knife made as it skinned the pheasants he was preparing for cooking. He looked up and met Nalia's eyes, and the two thieves exchanged a slightly concerned glance. Aerie was looking at the ranger with complete disbelief.

"You k-killed your parents?"

"I had to." The ranger's voice was level and calm.

"What happened?" asked Nalia. "That is, I mean, if you don't mind telling us." She blushed slightly at her inquisitiveness as the ranger's gaze met hers, and he smiled slightly.

"My mother was a mage of some power," he said softly. "She'd hide herself away in her room for weeks at a time, perfecting her latest cantrip. It was only when my father fell infirm that she realised too late what she'd been missing. As he weakened, she infused him with her magic in an attempt to keep him alive. I don't know what she expected to achieve, but he died all the same."

"But he did not go to rest?" asked Nalia.

Valygar shook his head. "He became an undead monstrosity, a mere shell of what my father once was. She, herself, worked her incantations to join him in undeath. That was how I found them when I returned home, to seek out the truth behind the news I had received."

"And you killed them t-to help them be at peace?" asked Aerie quietly.

"I did," stated Valygar. "And I would do the same again. Lavok wasn't the first of my blood relatives that I've had to fight; but I was still not prepared to face him, and to find him... different, to how I had expected."

"You have travelled before?" asked Nalia curiously. "When you received the news about your parents, I mean."

"I was a scout for the Amnish army. We were camped near the border with Tethyr when a messenger arrived, sent by our manservant, Hervo. I knew his word could be trusted, yet I was loathe to believe my mother would have allowed herself to be consumed by the lust for power so much. Neither she nor my father put up much of a fight. I..." His voice trailed off as he stared into the flickering lights of the fire. After a few moments he sighed. "My views on magic are unlikely to change. I just hope for your sakes, that you can both prove me wrong with what I see to be true and absolute."

The girls nodded, and quietly started preparing some vegetables that Mazzy had collected before they left Imnesvale. Coran finished working on the birds and passed them to Valygar, who readied a pot for them, preparing to make a stew. It was warming up on the fire when Xzar approached.

"Hubble bubble, toil and trouble!" he exclaimed with glee, dancing around the four sitting figures. Valygar scowled up at him, and a dark look crossed his face.

"Er, Xzar," began Coran, scrambling to his feet, "perhaps you'd be better going back over to sit beside Montaron."

"It's you!" shrieked Xzar randomly, pointing at the elf. "Mummy will be missing you! Where is mummy?"

Montaron appeared at the human's side, scowling fiercely. "Away from 'em, mage," he muttered. "They be best left alone."

Valygar was on his feet within seconds. "Mage? He's another mage?"

Montaron paused, halfway through the beginnings of manoeuvring his companion back to their seats. "Aye, apparently he be a mage. What did ye think he was? A flamin' bard?"

The ranger's frown deepened. "I had not detected any magical capability in his aura," he admitted slowly. "I had thought him a man of Cyric, perhaps..."

Montaron snorted in contempt and returned to pushing Xzar along. They hadn't got far when Xzar span around, easily detaching himself from the halfling's grip, bounding over until he stood before the ranger.

"I am death, destroyer of worlds!" he hissed, waving his hands around, his eyes wide and flashing. "Watch as I make an army!" Swiftly, Xzar pulled a few objects from a pouch sitting on his belt and threw them into the ground, murmuring a few quick arcane words. "Dance, my undead!" he shrieked in glee. "Dance!"

Almost immediately, two skeletal figures pulled themselves up from the ground, turning to face the necromancer obediently. Valygar had roared with rage, and was charging at them before anyone could stop him. Coran rushed to try, but the ranger had reduced them to mere piles of bones by the time the elf managed to get past the wailing and flailing Xzar. With the undead gone, Valygar turned to the necromancer and started advancing towards him ominously.

"You might think this is funny, mage, but I do not," he remarked threateningly, raising his blade.

"Valygar! Don't!" shouted Coran, trying to restrain the angry human from behind. Montaron then appeared before Xzar, sword in hand, and a wicked gleam in his eye as he glared up at the ranger.

"Ye'll have t'get through me first, ye fool," growled the halfling. Valygar shook off Coran easily, and swung his sword at Montaron, who parried it easily, expecting such a move. Xzar retreated away from the fight, and began murmuring under his breath, pointing at the ranger; Valygar was too caught up in his fight to notice.

Coran stumbled as the ranger pushed him away roughly, and he tried to get back to his feet quickly. As he did, he noticed a yellow globe flying through the air, engulfing the three battling men. Immediately, they all froze, bound by the effect of Aerie's hold spell. The avariel was trembling slightly, but had kept her composure long enough to use her mind. Coran grinned over to her, and she smiled with relief at his approval. The smile faded when a voice echoed out around them.

"WHAT is going on here?"

-----------------------

Despite the events of the previous evening, Coran found himself feeling fairly refreshed and ready to do battle. As soon as Mazzy had descended on the group; demanding to know why there was shouting, and why on earth Aerie had been possessed to cast a hostile spell at her own comrades, things had begun to settle.

Coran quickly explained what had transpired, causing the small fighter to roll her eyes with disbelief. She applauded the avariel for her quick thinking, but Aerie had already reverted to her usual nervousness at Mazzy's initial stern words and merely mumbled something quietly, fleeing back to the campfire under the pretence of checking the food.

The hold spell eventually wore off, and Valygar's roar died an amazingly swift death when he noticed the righteous warrior standing ahead of him; her arms crossed, her expression stern. Slowly his weapon fell and he coughed his excuses. Mazzy was in no mood to listen, and rebuked him severely for his actions. He was then sent back to the campfire with the others, while she dealt with the Zhents.

Coran had no idea what she'd done or said to them, but they were remarkably meek for the rest of the evening and caused no more dissent. Valygar, however, could hardly keep his poisonous glares from them, and he was assigned the first watch with Coran, so that the elf could keep as much of an eye out for the ranger as he could for any potential enemies.

It didn't surprise the elf that Xzar had been excused from guard duties, as well as Nalia and Aerie. Instead, the second watch of the night fell to Mazzy and Montaron, and although Coran tried to stay awake to gain some amusement from their interactions, sleep soon consumed him, and he fell into a deep slumber.

Breakfast was a quiet affair, before the group sorted through their belongings, opting to leave what wasn't needed in battle by the altar, rather than carrying their large packs with them. Before they went down, Nalia summoned an invisible stalker to fight by her side, while Aerie entreated to Baervan, and received an aerial servant. They cast a range of protective spells on the group, finished with Xzar managing to correctly speak the incantation for a haste cantrip. Then, wardstone in hand, Coran tentatively led the way down the steps, into the chapel, with Mazzy close behind.

They huddled together when they finished descending, and regarded the beast with awe. Mazzy quietly went through her battle plan; she, Coran and Montaron would be making the bulk of the attacks with their weapons, Valygar was to alternate between bow and sword, depending on where he felt he could do most damage. Aerie, Nalia and Xzar were to try and penetrate the beast's defences as much as they could with magic, to allow the fighters to cause injury.

Everyone nodded in agreement, except for Xzar who looked as if he was in a trance. Mazzy ignored his lack of response.

"Is everyone ready?" she asked.

"Let me get something, quickly," muttered Coran, rummaging in his pocket. Unable to find what he required, he distractedly held out the wardstone, feeling someone take it from his grasp. He dug back into his belongings, and pulled out a small potion bottle with a look of triumph. Raising it quickly, he downed the contents, and beamed as his muscles grew almost instantly.

"I'm ready now!" he proclaimed.

It was then that his world seemed to slow down to a crawl. The first thing he noticed was Aerie's rather horrified glance, looking behind him. He turned to see what had upset her so, noticing that Nalia and Mazzy were also wearing expressions that ranged from concern to disbelief.

Behind him was Xzar, sling in hand, obviously ready for battle. A manic glint was in the necromancer's eyes, and he was swirling his weapon around his head, looking intently at the dragon. It only took a split second for Coran to realise what the mage was using as a bullet.

"Nooooo!" cried Coran, diving towards the Zhent, pushing Montaron clumsily out of the way, then tripping over Valygar's foot. All he could do was watch as the black and white stone flew from the sling, flying through the air as it swiftly made its way to its target. It seemed like a lifetime before it hit, smacking into the wyrm’s head, straight between the eyes. The creature, that had been asleep, was awoken in the rudest possible way -- and the group no longer had the protective effects of the talisman in their possession.

As the Shadow Dragon roared its fury, Xzar stamped his foot and shrieked in fury. "Why is it not dead, Monty? That's not what was meant to happen!" He screamed in temper, then turned and stomped back up the stairs to the altar outside, leaving the others to face the advancing creature.

The moment of disbelief passed, and Coran heard Mazzy barking out orders. He picked himself up, and followed her charge, comforted by the joint chanting of the two girls they left behind. To his left he could see Valygar peppering the beast with arrows, and to his right he was relived to notice Montaron slinking around to attack from behind.

With some luck, we might still survive this, he noted dryly.

-----------------------

Aerie was crying. It wasn't uncontrolled sobs, or mighty wailing. Tears ran down her face in a constant stream as she quietly wept for her fallen companion. Nalia looked numb; her grief was threatening to pour out from her at any second, but the shock and realisation of the situation hadn't sunk in yet. She couldn't react, until she'd accepted.

Valygar was kneeling beside Mazzy. His face was sad, his touch gentle as he carefully swept a few strands of her hair from her cheeks. Coran was by his side, a numb sensation threatening to engulf him; this wasn't the first comrade he'd seen fall. He'd lost many who had been closer to him -- but the pain never seemed to lessen.

The body of the dragon was strewn behind them, having battled fiercely until the end. Its dying breath had caught the brave halfling with a wave of acid-filled vapour, burning her horrifically. As the creature fell, the others ran to Mazzy; Aerie immediately began channelling her healing into the massive wounds, but the halfling merely smiled up at them, almost serenely.

"I think I can see Patrick," she mumbled, before closing her eyes, her breathing halting. Aerie had continued to administer her curing, until she was gently pulled back by Coran. There was nothing she could do for Mazzy, but her prayers had healed most of the acid's damage, leaving the warrior to look as if she was just in a peaceful slumber.

A noise from behind them made Coran turn around. Montaron was scrambling around amongst the hoard, only pausing when he noticed the elf's vicious glare. The halfling offered a shrug in return, but halted in his treasure gathering, allowing Coran to return to mourning with the others.

"We should take her to her home," said Valygar quietly. "She has family there, and they would want her taken to them."
Coran nodded. "We can head back to Trademeet today. First, though, I think we should add her name to the inscription at the altar -- her name should be amongst her fallen comrades, and note her battle with the dragon."

"I agree," replied Valygar. His voice was strained as he fought to keep his emotions in check. After a few more minutes he stood up. "We should prepare to leave."

Coran turned around to Montaron, to discover the halfling had gone. With a frown, he swiftly moved to the stairs, climbing up to note that there was no sign of the necromancer or the halfling. He cursed loudly, and quickly checked the packs that they'd been courteous enough to leave behind -- a few basic items had gone missing, as had several jewels and other small pieces of treasure they'd come across in their travels. He returned to the others, curtly informing them on the development, and calming down the already irate Valygar.

"We need to get Mazzy home," he reminded the human. “We can deal with them if we find them in the future.”

Together, the men carried the halfling's body up to the altar, and Aerie brought up a small cantrip to inscribe the halfling’s name neatly onto the stone while Nalia collected the remains of the dragon‘s treasure. The ranger clearly objected to the use of the magic by his frown, but he remained quiet for the sake of Mazzy's memory, and he stalked back down to help Nalia collect the beast’s scales for armour later. Before long, the group were ready to depart.

A cry from Nalia caught their attention as they picked up the pack; they looked over to where she was pointing, and soon the air was filled with cursing and groans. Their horses had gone.

-----------------------

It was late when they arrived at Imnesvale, Valygar and Coran having taken turns to carry Mazzy's body. Aerie's blessing from Baervan was preserving her corpse, but the going was slow, and the group were exhausted upon their arrival. Despite their tiredness, they unanimously agreed to press on, having discovered their horses were for sale at the tavern. Coran explained the situation to the innkeeper, and he eventually offered them a discount, ignoring Aerie's indignant protests over having to pay at all.

They rode through the night, arriving at Trademeet as dawn was breaking. Sombrely, they dismounted at the gates, explaining to the gateguard what had happened. One of the militia officers was called over, and he expressed his sorrow at the news, leading them to the tidy house that Mazzy had once called home. The officer carried her body to the door, and the group watched as an older halfling woman answered, the smile on her face vanishing as he spoke. Within minutes she was crying, another halfling girl joining her in her grief.

Valygar quietly suggested they retire to the inn, and Coran nodded. He took one last look as the officer carried the body of Mazzy -- the women’s daughter and sister -- into the home, a small crowd of locals having formed to see if it was really true; to see if their very own local hero had perished in battle.

He wanted to do more, but knew it wasn't the time. They were exhausted, and needed rest -- there would be time for paying respects when it was appropriate.

-----------------------

Montaron scowled darkly as his horse trotted down the highway that led back to Athkatla. He should be feeling quite happy, he reflected; not only had he escaped the village, but he'd managed to acquire some very nice valuables from his ex-companions as he successfully left their service. He’d also received a good price for their horses, and Xzar was quite happily following him, now masterfully riding his own mount.

Still, things were playing on his mind. The human ranger's obvious dislike for the mage had made him curious; never one to miss the chance of a fight, the halfling had been delighted to see that he was only too willing to let his fear and emotion guide him into violence. It was the language Montaron understood best, but it had been foiled by the harpy with no wings.

How he hated her. She'd had the audacity to cast aspersions on him -- true, or not, that was beside the point -- and then she'd wilfully prevented him from inflicting harm on another. What if her spell had only worked on him and the mage? What if the ranger had been unaffected? Maybe that was what she'd wanted?

He frowned darkly as he rode. He was glad the other halfling had fallen; if she'd lived, there was no telling when they'd have managed to escape her. He felt nothing for her loss -- she'd amused him while they shared company, but it wouldn't have been long before he longed to gut her and her self-righteous ego. As for the elf and the human girl... Montaron was so indifferent to them that they barely registered in his memory.

Instead, he amused himself on the long ride back by imagining the ways he could bring about the demises of the ranger and the avariel, both together and separately. It caused him to smile slightly as they went, oblivious to Xzar's mutterings from behind him; ignoring the familiar noise of the necromancer's babbling and squealing. In Montaron's world, the images were of death and destruction -- and for a time, he felt content.

-----------------------

The group managed to stay up for a few hours, answering the questions of the distressed locals, and retelling the tale of the battle several times. Eventually, they excused themselves, and tiredly made their way to their rooms, where they slept through until the following morning.

Over breakfast, they were aware of Mazzy's family entering the inn. They approached the barkeep, who seemed to offer his condolences before pointing over to Coran's table. The elf stood immediately, followed by the others, and they all inclined their heads respectfully as the halflings approached.

"My lord," began the elder woman, her voice strained. "I hope you will not think that we are taking your time unnecessarily, but we... we..." Sobs drowned out the rest of her words, and she was handed a tissue by the younger halfling, who put her arms around her mother's shoulder.

"We have yet to come to terms with the news," she said apologetically. "We would ask to have a moment of your time, to find out about my sister's last adventure. We... we would like to know that she went with the honour she craved."

"Certainly," said Coran, beckoning them over to the slightly more cushioned seats that were located by the large mantel at the quieter side of the room. The younger girl introduced herself as Pala, Mazzy's sister, and their mother, Vara, who was still too tearful to talk. The group quickly introduced themselves, and assured the women that they were only too happy to tell them about the expedition if they wished to hear it.

Valygar, surprisingly, did most of the talking. As they had with the locals, he omitted all mention of Xzar, and only referred to encounter with the creature; praising Mazzy's bravery, speaking of her with a genuine fondness that reduced both of the women to tears before long. The others only interjected when it was expected, and spoke as highly as the ranger did of their fallen companions, expressing their remorse, and effort to save her.

"She died as she would have wanted to," finished Valygar quietly. “She brought down a foul beast, one that would have eventually threatened the whole land if left to its own devices. As she left us, she said that she could see someone -- someone called Patrick. Then she smiled, and she was gone."

"Patrick..." whispered Vara, before sobbing again.

"Patrick was her betrothed," explained Pala quietly. "She came home when he fell to the Shade Lord, after she had avenged him with the aid of some other travellers. She spoke of the dragon then, too, and we knew one day she would seek it out. She was fearless, my sister."

"She was an inspiration," commented Coran gently. "If there is anything we can do in your hour of grief, we will. We share your loss."

"There... there is something," replied Pala. "She is being buried in the city graveyard tomorrow. Will you... will you come to the service? I think she would like you to, and we would be grateful to have you there, after you travelled so hard to return her to us. You have been loyal and true friends to her, even if you didn't know her for long, and I am sure she would want your presence."

Coran leaned forward and took one each of the woman's hands in his own. He squeezed gently, and smiled sincerely. "We would feel privileged to be there."

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:52 AM

Ah, the events of Valygar's past revealed. Sad as it may be, I don't feel terribly moved by his story, because his All Mages Be Evul attitude in the game got old very quickly in the game, no matter if he had good reasons for it or not. Now I'm also wondering if his undead parents actually showed some malevolent intent.... or did he just kill them because they were different. If so then I'd be angry, I like harmless and eccentric undead!

And he was mean to poor crazy liitle Xzar... it was very moving to see Monty stand up to defend his nutso friend. Though I half expected him to also sneak away after Xzar had angered the dragon... yet another typical Xzar moment! ;)

And Mazzy dies in such a heroic paladinic way, fighting a dragon, very fitting. I'm quite content with this arrangement. :cry:

Monty and Xzar sure did pull a number on the Good Guys - evul as they are, your versions of them are also so very entertaining! And of course, I completely share Monty's feelings for the avariel. ;)

#3 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:33 PM

Poor Mazzy :cry: I really liked your version of her.

Xzar and Montaron are... Xzar and Montaron. What else can be said?

Your Valygar is awesome; you're really pulling off his stern personality and I love how serious you let him take his service to Mazzy.

And there is hope for your Aerie, yet ;)

#4 Guest_Jean_*

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

She died as she would have wanted to," finished Valygar quietly. “She brought down a foul beast, one that would have eventually threatened the whole land if left to its own devices. As she left us, she said that she could see someone -- someone called Patrick. Then she smiled, and she was gone."

:cry: The chapter needed a handkerchief warning!

And your Montaron is ebil. Eeeebil. Like in the game, actually. ;)

Good chapter!

#5 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:25 PM

Ah, the events of Valygar's past revealed. Sad as it may be, I don't feel terribly moved by his story, because his All Mages Be Evul attitude in the game got old very quickly in the game, no matter if he had good reasons for it or not. Now I'm also wondering if his undead parents actually showed some malevolent intent.... or did he just kill them because they were different. If so then I'd be angry, I like harmless and eccentric undead!

Xzar: Well said! :)

I quite like Valygar *shuffle* ;) I think he's less repetitive than Aerie -- I actually had to have him in my party three or four times before I even knew what bothered him about mages (excluding the 'Lavok is evil' part) -- and I *still* had to look around and google about him to find out some other stuff. But, admittedly, I rarely have him -- not because I don't like him, but... well... Minsc :) (and there ain't room for 2 rangers in my parties, unless one of them is a PC!)

And he was mean to poor crazy liitle Xzar... it was very moving to see Monty stand up to defend his nutso friend. Though I half expected him to also sneak away after Xzar had angered the dragon... yet another typical Xzar moment! :D

Wasn't it? :D I have to give credit to my husband for that, who suggested Xzar might see the wardstone as some sort of slingstone, and I thought 'Ooooh! Yes!' :D

And Mazzy dies in such a heroic paladinic way, fighting a dragon, very fitting. I'm quite content with this arrangement. ;)

Bah -- poor little Mazzy :) I had sort of planned her demise, though, for a while, so it seemed fitting for it to happen here :)

Monty and Xzar sure did pull a number on the Good Guys - evul as they are, your versions of them are also so very entertaining! And of course, I completely share Monty's feelings for the avariel. :D

I thought you might :cry: It's not the last run in they have, by a long shot, and I'm glad Monty and Xzar are entertaining :D They get a bit darker in nature later on, but I enjoy writing for them so much -- I just can't help but involve them :D

Thanks for reading and commenting :D

#6 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

Poor Mazzy :cry: I really liked your version of her.

Awww, thank you :)

Xzar and Montaron are... Xzar and Montaron. What else can be said?

That they are -- but I love them, anyway ;)

Your Valygar is awesome; you're really pulling off his stern personality and I love how serious you let him take his service to Mazzy.

*squee* I was worried about Valygar for a long time when he joined Coran's group because I didn't have a lot of experience with him and his personality, but I think he's fitting in okay, generally -- and I'm glad he's not deviating too far ooc or anything :)

And there is hope for your Aerie, yet :)

Yeah, she grows with the group :) Not enough for Montaron's feelings to change, but that's hardly a surprise ;)

Thanks for reading and commenting :D

#7 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:30 PM

She died as she would have wanted to," finished Valygar quietly. “She brought down a foul beast, one that would have eventually threatened the whole land if left to its own devices. As she left us, she said that she could see someone -- someone called Patrick. Then she smiled, and she was gone."

:shock: The chapter needed a handkerchief warning!

;) Aww, thanks ;)

And your Montaron is ebil. Eeeebil. Like in the game, actually. ;)

Yep -- or I hope so, anyway! ;) My Monty-love drives me on to include him whenever possible, and I just can't resist it ;)

Good chapter!

Thanks! And thanks for reading and commenting! ;)

#8 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:07 AM

I have but one thing to say: D'awwwww, poor Mazzy. :shock:

I always kinda liked Mazzy (*dodges rotten fruit*), except when she gets a little crazy over Valygar... at least she got a suitably heroic ending. *snuffle*

#9 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:38 AM

I have but one thing to say: D'awwwww, poor Mazzy. :shock:

*nod* ;)

I always kinda liked Mazzy (*dodges rotten fruit*), except when she gets a little crazy over Valygar... at least she got a suitably heroic ending. *snuffle*

Yeah -- thought she deserved at least that much, but the thought of describing *another* fight with a dragon... no ;)

Thanks for reading and commenting! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com