Reclaiming (Maiyn) - Chapter 32

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:38 AM

Choosing Sides

-----------------------

Maiyn came downstairs and quickly informed the others that they'd be leaving to meet Gaelan when Xan appeared. Jaheira asked her if the mage was likely to be long, and the ranger shrugged helplessly in return, saying she had just been changing when he went to his room.

Jaheira looked over to Kivan quickly, and they shared a knowing glance, but said nothing further. Xan appeared a few minutes after and Maiyn quickly led the way out to the streets outside, seeming more flustered than normal. Jaheira walked alongside her as they made their way along the bustling road, reminding her to be careful; the Shadow Thieves were not a group they needed to anger, nor were they a group the druid was particularly keen to deal with. Their options were limited, however, and they knocked on the door leading into Gaelan's home, finding him standing by his table with a wide smile.

"Coo," he said, causing Maiyn to grit her teeth. "You be back already! I have news for you, as well -- my superiors say 15000 gold coins will be payment enough. They had a change of heart, and lowered the price they seek."

"Oh really?" asked Maiyn suspiciously. "Is this because they know we received an offer, for that exact amount, from elsewhere?"

Gaelan blinked once, but it was enough for Maiyn to recognise a fleeting moment of surprise. "I knows nothing about that," he said, his charming smile back, his face a picture of complete innocence.

"Who do you represent?"

"Aye, well, as I told you before, I can't tell you that until the money has changed hands."

"Perhaps we should seek out our other potential allies then," threatened Maiyn darkly.

"Aye, now," muttered Gaelan thoughtfully. "You could try, but after yer last meeting with them, they'd mayhaps be disinclined to give you another chance."

"So, we are being followed." Jaheira didn't bother asking it; she spoke as a statement, and rolled her eyes as she looked away in frustration.

"That's not quite right," stated the rogue carefully. "You just happened to be overheard."

"By other Shadow Thieves?" asked Maiyn bluntly.

Gaelan sighed. "If you just give me the money, I will tell you."

Maiyn frowned and threw the pouch onto the table. "You'd better tell us. Now."

-----------------------

"And you are sure that this Renal is in the same guildhall as the one we need to attend?" Maiyn was walking alongside Yoshimo as the pair led the way along the busy roads, heading down towards the docks. They'd been told to seek out Aran Linvail, the Shadowmaster of the Shadow Thieves guild in Athkatla, and the bounty hunter had told the ranger what little he knew of the mysterious leader.

"So, he is definitely a he, he's been in power for quite some time, and he's not a man to cross. Very helpful, Yoshimo," noted Maiyn dryly. The rogue smiled pleasantly in return.

"We may be asked to visit Renal first, regardless of our plans," warned Yoshimo as they passed under through the tunnel that led down to the docks. "Especially if I am recognised in your group."

"Then we will see to him first," replied Maiyn easily, "and then attend to Aran. We have paid the coin they wanted, and so I think we can expect at least a little co-operation from them."

Yoshimo kept smiling, but looked unconvinced, his stance becoming tense as they approached a large reddish building. Its windows were dark, and impossible to see through, giving it a suspicious aura. A large door was set in the centre, and two men stood at either side, each blatantly carrying weapons.

"The guard have little in the way of presence in this district," explained Yoshimo, noting Maiyn's rather surprised look.

"So I see," she replied, continuing her advancement. As she approached them, the men looked up, quite obviously studying her.

"You're a friend of Gaelan's, aye?" the closest asked. "Our boss says yer welcome to go inside."

My, thought Maiyn, news travels fast in the City of Coin. It had been less than an hour since they'd left Gaelan's house, and they had only stopped back at the Copper Coronet briefly to allow Jaheira to pick up the dragon scales. Since they'd paid less than planned for the assistance, and were going to the docks anyway, Maiyn had suggested they sort out the armour for the druid, and she had agreed.

The ranger nodded her thanks, and pushed the door open, stepping inside the building. The others followed her in, looking around the large hall, filled with tables covered in weapons and assorted wares, boxes, crates and hooded figures. A silence fell across the room as everyone turned to face them, but it only lasted a few moments, then their attentions returned to their previous business, and the newcomers were ignored.

"Where now?" Maiyn quietly asked Yoshimo. The bounty hunter pointed to a flight of stairs at the rear of the room, and the ranger nodded and wandered over to them. The upper level appeared much like downstairs, but partitions had been erected to give the impression of individual rooms. Maiyn allowed the Kara-tuan to pass her, and followed him as he made his way along a corridor, turning left into a small enclosure that contained several chairs and desks.

A handful of rogues lurked in the shadows, but one stood directly ahead of them, leaning over some papers on the table before him. He looked up when he realised there were guests, and raised an eyebrow as his eyes met Maiyn. A smile adorned his face when he realised Yoshimo was in her company.

"My, my," he said pleasantly. "If it isn't the freelancer, Yoshimo, come to see me at last. I had nearly thought that the streets had opened up and swallowed you whole, dear lad."

"I am so pleased that you gave any thought to my well being, sire," replied the bounty hunter, sounding as if it was the last thing he wanted. "It is always good to be remembered by ones peers."

Renal laughed. "Well now. That would imply that you were one of my peers, as opposed to a rag-tag independent, infringing on our territory. You are just too much, Yoshi."

The bounty hunter winced. "Yoshimo, if you please, sire. Where I come from, such a pet name is only used by... Well; let us say that you and I have not become so familiar just yet, hmm?"

Renal eyed Maiyn with amusement as the ranger gave the rogue a horrified look, and promptly started choking. Minsc thumped the elf hard on the back, eagerly offering his assistance to her plight. Yoshimo suppressed a grin.

"Point taken," chuckled the Guildmaster. "Have you finally come to pay your debt for your recent activities, or are we simply to trade barbs until I am forced to do something hideous?"

“I have come as commanded, sire," replied the Kara-tuan, seeming a lot more relaxed than the recently recovered Maiyn. She was still staring darkly at the bounty hunter. "You have a task for me?"

"Well, I thought I did," said Renal pleasantly, "but you appear to be needed elsewhere. Your companion, Maiyn -- is she all right, by the way?"

"Little Maiyn will be fine now," announced Minsc happily. "Minsc and Boo have ensured she shall remain breathing!"

"That is, ah... excellent," observed Renal with amusement. "But, where was I? Ah, yes... I know you are seeking an audience... well, shall I say, elsewhere in this building? Fortunately for you, Yoshimo, this negates any task I may have had to assign to you. I suggest you go now, and quickly, before I change my mind."

"As... as you will, sire," replied Yoshimo, sounding surprised. He nodded to the others, and they turned to leave.

"Oh, and Yoshimo?"

The bounty hunter turned his head to face Renal. "Yes, sire?"

Renal Bloodscalp smiled a cruel smile. "Cross the Shadow Thieves again, and you will regret it. Regardless of whom your companions are."

-----------------------

Eventually they found the way to Aran Linvail, after being sent down several random passages, and through areas that were obviously meant to serve for roguish training. Maiyn muttered about the humour the guild members possessed in their misleading information, then groaned as they turned the corner on the latest corridor that had been pointed out to them, and saw it disappear off into the distance, shrouded in darkness.

"Does he live at the other side of Athkatla, through a corridor that stretches invisibly across the city?" grumbled the ranger, stalking along the bare stone passage. She'd been in a bad mood since her choking incident during Yoshimo's banter with Renal. The bounty hunter had merely shrugged at her when she pointed out that she had called him Yoshi, on more than one occasion, and he refused to speak further on the matter, saying he wouldn't want to offend a lady's ear.

Eventually they made it to the end, and clambered up some stairs into a sparse landing, where a gruff guard warned them that he'd have his eye on them. Maiyn glared at him until Yoshimo carefully guided her away, muttering a warning about how she should be careful who she upset in the guildhouse. Kivan knocked on the wooden door that they had approached, and a voice called them to enter.

"Welcome to this place," said a tall man with dark, greying hair. He was smiling warmly enough, but his eyes were taking in every single detail about each of the visitors standing before him. He wore tight, leather armour, and his muscled arms were bare. He nodded approvingly as he signalled for them to be seated. "I've looked forward to seeing you. I am, as you know, Aran Linvail."

"I have paid a huge amount of gold," said Maiyn irritably, eyeing the guards that stood dotted around the room warily. "Tell me how I can find Imoen."

"Right to the point, eh?" asked Aran, a twinkle of amusement in his eye. "That's fine with me. You are a very capable person, working with a very capable band of people. I wish to propose a trade, of sorts."

"I propose you give to me what I have already paid for," replied the ranger coldly.

"Maiyn..." warned Yoshimo quietly.

"I apologise if you feel that you have been done wrong," stated the Shadowmaster sincerely. "I assure you, that all you have paid to us is being put to good use."

"Where?" asked Jaheira. "Where exactly is it being put to good use? We are not to be played with, Linvail; I should like to see results, and I should like to see them soon."

Aran paused and regarded the druid quietly for a few moments. She glared back at him, her eyes glinting dangerously. "These things take time," he said eventually. "In truth, we were working long before you gave us the gold. Only a few minor points remain, but they must be addressed." The Shadowmaster stood, and walked over to a cabinet which he proceeded to unlock. "First and foremost; you will be compensated for the coin you have paid -- I have some items for you." He pulled out a couple of items, and handed them to Maiyn. She looked at them dubiously. "I am sure your mage will be able to confirm their worth," he remarked, smiling at Xan. The enchanter just sighed.

"Thank you," said the ranger, awkwardly.

"They are yours to keep, regardless of what comes," Aran assured her, sitting back down at his desk.

"Oh, how generous," remarked Jaheira sarcastically. "Do you expect that to compensate while you delay our more important concerns? We have friends in need of rescue and vengeance, both!"

The thieves in the room all looked at the druid as one with raised eyebrows. "I know you are eager to set off after Imoen, and I assure you that the time will come soon." Aran spoke carefully. "It takes time to allocate funds, however."

"Not too much time, I hope," interrupted Maiyn.

"No, no, no," he replied soothingly. "Everything is as it should be. There are merely some added difficulties that we have encountered. I regret that I must ask a few tasks of you." He raised his hands as Maiyn opened her mouth to protest. "I know, I know; you are tired and have worked hard already."

"You have no idea," muttered the ranger.

"I apologise," he said, suddenly very serious. "But this guild war... it prevents us from going further."

"Guild war?" asked Kivan, the elf's quiet voice sounding melodic amongst the more gruff tone of the thief.

"There is a new guild in the city," replied Aran. "You cannot fail to have heard of it... or can you? I believe you have already been... approached by them."

"Bodhi?" asked Maiyn. "But she's a vam... she's quite unnatural."

Aran regarded the ranger with an amused expression, and the elf threw a worried glance to Minsc. The berserker was quietly talking to Boo, seemingly oblivious to the discussion happening around him. "Strange things are afoot at the docks," he continued. "Shipments are disappearing, my employees along with them. We are significantly weakened by this, and I think it unlikely that you would be captured or wooed by the enemy. I would ask you to go to our landing bay, and strengthen our position this eve. There will be a girl there, named Mook. She is my guard captain, and you can trust her."

Maiyn sighed. "We will aid, since it will lead us to your aid in finding Imoen."

"I promise you that I will do all I can to get you to her as soon as possible," promised Aran. "You will go to the docks?"

"We will. But what is the nature of this shipment?"

Linvail smiled wryly. "I must admit, Maiyn, that the goods carried would not be met well by the guard. Weapons, mostly, but I defend their use."

"Mostly?" Maiyn scowled. "There had better not be anything... alive."

"Oh, my dear girl, no," chuckled Aran. "Fear not, there are no slaves. The weapons are specially made for us. The guild we are warring are not like we -- as dark as the Shadow Thieves are, we do not overstep the bounds." Xan snorted, but the Shadowmaster only gave him an amused look and continued. "This new guild is different. If you look for the higher moral ground in this matter, it is indeed us. A surprising thing, but I assure you, I am true to my word."

Maiyn looked back into his eyes as he gave her a sincere glance. She felt herself trusting his word, and she nodded slightly. "We are aware, as we said, of the nature of the other guild," she replied quietly. "You will have our assistance."

Aran smiled warmly. "Then study the amulet in particular that I gave you -- you will fid it of help, I believe. And... good hunting. Report back to me when you can."

-----------------------

"So we are bought off yet again," muttered Jaheira as they stood outside the Shadow Thieves Guildhall. She was glaring around her, at no one in particular. "I do not deny that they are the best choice we have to find our quarry, but we had best do their little chores quickly."

"I agree," said Maiyn quietly. "We have hours before nightfall, though. We shall need to find-" The ranger broke off her sentence as a cloaked woman approached, and walked straight up to the druid.

"A word I would have with you, Jaheira. Listen carefully whilst I say what I must, for this brings me no pleasure.”

“Do I know of you?” asked Jaheira cautiously. “Have you reason to subject me to your rude manner? I have no coin, if that is your wish.”

The stranger smirked. “Charming, as I was told. No, Jaheira, you have nothing I require, save your attention. You are bid to follow as I lead. Come, we must go.”

“I do not follow by a stranger’s command," replied the half-elf strongly. "Who are you?"

"Oh, you know me, as well as you should know yourself," came the cryptic reply. A quick movement of the woman's hands uncovered her shirt lapel for only a split second, but it was long enough for the druid to see whatever was intended. "We are one and the same, and I bear the pin that tells our name. Let your eyes not deceive you as you look upon this ‘trinket.’”

“I…Yes, I see. If you would give me a moment, I will do what needs be done.”

The woman gave the others a cursory glance. "Make your farewells quick, you will not be gone long.” She turned and strode away from the party, waiting for the half-elf a few feet away.

"What's going on?" asked Maiyn, slightly panicked. "Where are you going?"

“I have obligations elsewhere," replied Jaheira simply. "Worry not, I will return shortly. You will survive without me for a time, and I should return to you before nightfall. I will find you, by the docks, if not before. Here -- take these." The druid carefully pulled the scales out from her pack, and handed them to the ranger. “Take them to Cromwell for me -- you should have enough in the funds, and it will save time later.”

With that she turned and left, disappearing into the crowd with the mystery woman. The others looked on in surprise, then turned their gazes back to Maiyn. The ranger knew in her heart what it was -- she remembered Jaheira making the same discrete movement all those months ago, in Nashkel, when showing Dynaheir that she and Khalid could be trusted.

The woman had been another Harper.

"We-" began Maiyn, before sighing as another stranger ran up to them. This time it was a man, dressed in shiny armour. He bowed quickly to the group, then turned to address Anomen.

"Squire Anomen Delryn -- you are called to the Order of the Most Radiant Heart!"

Anomen paled. "It is time?" he asked quietly.

The messenger nodded. "Sir Ryan Trawl will be awaiting you this day." With another bow, he turned and left.

"I... I need to go,," said Anomen. He seemed surprised, even shocked. Maiyn groaned internally.

"Is there anyone else who would like to be called away from us today?" she asked with a sigh, before noting Anomen's rather disappointed look. "I'm sorry,” she offered quickly. "It's just being a... strange day." Her eyes caught Xan's, and they shared the slightest of smiles, before she returned her attention to the cleric. "Do you wish us to accompany you?" she asked.

"I... I would welcome it, but I know of your aversion to the Order, with your... heritage," Anomen said hesitantly.

Maiyn nodded. "We could split up until evening?" she offered. "I would dearly love to see you passing your test," she said to Anomen -- her confidence in the outcome of his test made him beam. "But I... I don't feel comfortable... And I need to sort out these scales…"

"I understand, my lady," the squire replied quickly.

"The others shall go with you," she insisted, nodding to them all. "I will wait for you somewhere, and you can find me when your ceremony is done -- even if it is just to say goodbye, because you have been assigned somewhere else!"

"I don't think you should be on your own," said Kivan quietly. "Let one of us go with you."

"I wi-" began Yoshimo, but he was interrupted by Xan.

"I will," said the enchanter firmly, avoiding the Kara-tuan's keen gaze. The rogue sighed, Maiyn grinned at him.

“You could sort out these scales,“ she said to the bounty hunter, making him smile gratefully to her. “You will know where to take them, and I am sure you will be able to barter a fair price.“

“I will do my best, my friend,“ he smiled, taking the package carefully, and bowing before he vanished into the crowd, unwilling to stay around in case he was persuaded to visit the Order’s headquarters.

“Xan and I will make sure we have enough supplies,“ continued Maiyn. Kivan nodded, satisfied with the plans, although Maiyn was sure she could see a curious expression cross his face.

"We will attend to Squire Anomen's duty now," he remarked, herding the cleric and the berserker off towards the district exit. "We will seek you out at the Copper Coronet when we are done."

Maiyn nodded to them, and wandered in the other direction, towards the passage they'd used to enter the docks earlier. Xan walked beside her in silence until he was sure that the others were out of sight, then he reached out, and his hand found hers. She smiled over to him as they went, and together they headed back to the slums.

#2 Guest_Jean_*

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:53 PM

Maiyn nodded to them, and wandered in the other direction, towards the passage they'd used to enter the docks earlier. Xan walked beside her in silence until he was sure that the others were out of sight, then he reached out, and his hand found hers. She smiled over to him as they went, and together they headed back to the slums.

Aww! Xan's an infinitely better partner than Coran. In my opinion, that is.

I love Minsc on their visit to the Shadow Thieves. There's just something so amusingly anomalous about the extremely straight-forward ranger surrounded by double dealers like Renal.

Little Maiyn will be fine now," announced Minsc happily. "Minsc and Boo have ensured she shall remain breathing!"

Thank you. :lol:

#3 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

Aww! Xan's an infinitely better partner than Coran. In my opinion, that is.

I'd have to agree with you on that -- but Maiyn was quite determined to be difficult :D

I love Minsc on their visit to the Shadow Thieves. There's just something so amusingly anomalous about the extremely straight-forward ranger surrounded by double dealers like Renal.

Mmhmm -- I love picturing him standing there, holding Boo up for a hushed conversation as cloaked and hoodd figures slink past, off to do their double dealings :D

Little Maiyn will be fine now," announced Minsc happily. "Minsc and Boo have ensured she shall remain breathing!"

Thank you. :roll:

Minsc: Minsc and Boo aim to please!

Thank you for reading and commenting! :D

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:01 PM

"Coo," he said, causing Maiyn to grit her teeth. "You be back already! I have news for you, as well -- my superiors say 15000 gold coins will be payment enough. They had a change of heart, and lowered the price they seek."

"Oh really?" asked Maiyn suspiciously. "Is this because they know we received an offer, for that exact amount, from elsewhere?"

They are thieves… nothing happens in this city that they wouldn’t know about!

"Aye, now," muttered Gaelan thoughtfully. "You could try, but after yer last meeting with them, they'd mayhaps be disinclined to give you another chance."

I bet they employ several lip readers as well. :D

"Then we will see to him first," replied Maiyn easily, "and then attend to Aran. We have paid the coin they wanted, and so I think we can expect at least a little co-operation from them."

*bursts into laughter*

Oh… excuse me… but she was being serious, wasn’t she? *snicker*

My, thought Maiyn, news travels fast in the City of Coin. It had been less than an hour since they'd left Gaelan's house, and they had only stopped back at the Copper Coronet briefly to allow Jaheira to pick up the dragon scales. Since they'd paid less than planned for the assistance, and were going to the docks anyway, Maiyn had suggested they sort out the armour for the druid, and she had agreed.

It is a lovely armor for her, oh yes. (Not to mention that in the game, for some inexplicable reason, it seemed to reveal her legs in a very yummy fashion… hehehe ;))

The bounty hunter winced. "Yoshimo, if you please, sire. Where I come from, such a pet name is only used by... Well; let us say that you and I have not become so familiar just yet, hmm?"

It almost seemed as he was looking forward to that! :D

Renal eyed Maiyn with amusement as the ranger gave the rogue a horrified look, and promptly started choking. Minsc thumped the elf hard on the back, eagerly offering his assistance to her plight. Yoshimo suppressed a grin.

He never did correct Maiyn, did he, Yoshimo? :D

"That is, ah... excellent," observed Renal with amusement. "But, where was I? Ah, yes... I know you are seeking an audience... well, shall I say, elsewhere in this building? Fortunately for you, Yoshimo, this negates any task I may have had to assign to you. I suggest you go now, and quickly, before I change my mind."

Bah, no sidequest, means no Edwin! *frowns with disappointment* :D

"Welcome to this place," said a tall man with dark, greying hair. He was smiling warmly enough, but his eyes were taking in every single detail about each of the visitors standing before him. He wore tight, leather armour, and his muscled arms were bare. He nodded approvingly as he signalled for them to be seated. "I've looked forward to seeing you. I am, as you know, Aran Linvail."

Say what you want about Aran, but he had a really charismatic voice… it seemed to dissolve any violent intentions of my various protagonists. :D

"Where?" asked Jaheira. "Where exactly is it being put to good use? We are not to be played with, Linvail; I should like to see results, and I should like to see them soon."

Yeah… you paid 15.000 just to be able to exchange a further trade of services. Fun. :roll:

"Oh, how generous," remarked Jaheira sarcastically. "Do you expect that to compensate while you delay our more important concerns? We have friends in need of rescue and vengeance, both!"

The thieves in the room all looked at the druid as one with raised eyebrows. "I know you are eager to set off after Imoen, and I assure you that the time will come soon." Aran spoke carefully. "It takes time to allocate funds, however."

Have to take my hat off to Aran, not many men would have retained their composure at the glare of an angry druid. :?

"No, no, no," he replied soothingly. "Everything is as it should be. There are merely some added difficulties that we have encountered. I regret that I must ask a few tasks of you." He raised his hands as Maiyn opened her mouth to protest. "I know, I know; you are tired and have worked hard already."

Hey, and you even got off easy, most Bhaalspawn have to do hundred and one quests in Athkatla before they get this far!

"Oh, my dear girl, no," chuckled Aran. "Fear not, there are no slaves. The weapons are specially made for us. The guild we are warring are not like we -- as dark as the Shadow Thieves are, we do not overstep the bounds." Xan snorted, but the Shadowmaster only gave him an amused look and continued. "This new guild is different. If you look for the higher moral ground in this matter, it is indeed us. A surprising thing, but I assure you, I am true to my word."

Anything about higher moral ground from his mouth sounds pretty hilarious! ;)

"Oh, you know me, as well as you should know yourself," came the cryptic reply. A quick movement of the woman's hands uncovered her shirt lapel for only a split second, but it was long enough for the druid to see whatever was intended. "We are one and the same, and I bear the pin that tells our name. Let your eyes not deceive you as you look upon this ‘trinket.’”

Blech, their timing could not possibly suck more.

"Squire Anomen Delryn -- you are called to the Order of the Most Radiant Heart!"

*hates all messengers with the burning passion of thousand suns*

"The others shall go with you," she insisted, nodding to them all. "I will wait for you somewhere, and you can find me when your ceremony is done -- even if it is just to say goodbye, because you have been assigned somewhere else!"

Good thing they’re not leaving Ano completely alone, he’ll need someone to celebrate with!

"I will," said the enchanter firmly, avoiding the Kara-tuan's keen gaze. The rogue sighed, Maiyn grinned at him.

For such a whiny little bugger he can be very insistent at times. :(

*cue romantic music as the couple walks off in the sunset*

#5 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 23 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

They are thieves… nothing happens in this city that they wouldn’t know about!

Renal: How right you are, my friend.
Maiyn: You know, whenever I see your name, I end up thinking of kidneys...

I bet they employ several lip readers as well. :)

Gaelen: Ah, you got me. What -- you thought I was only here to say 'coo' in an annoying fashion? :roll:

*bursts into laughter*

Oh… excuse me… but she was being serious, wasn’t she? *snicker*

She's terribly naive about things like this, isn't she? :D If Jaheira had overheard that comment, she'd probably have been corrected pretty soon.

It is a lovely armor for her, oh yes. (Not to mention that in the game, for some inexplicable reason, it seemed to reveal her legs in a very yummy fashion… hehehe :D)

*giggles* Uh, I have to admit I hadn't noticed, since usually Minsc wears it in my games, and Jaheira gets the other stuff... gorgon plate or armor of the hart, or something like them.

It almost seemed as he was looking forward to that! :?

Yoshimo: I think you misunderstand, I was.. ah, only being polite.
Maiyn: Hmm, that's what Coran would call it, too.

He never did correct Maiyn, did he, Yoshimo? :)

Yoshimo: I did not wish to cause undue distress!

Bah, no sidequest, means no Edwin! *frowns with disappointment* :(

Not yet no :D We haven't seen the last of Renal yet, and well... Coran has to find out where she's gone, somehow :D

Say what you want about Aran, but he had a really charismatic voice… it seemed to dissolve any violent intentions of my various protagonists. :D

It is, actually, isn't it? To be honest, I always had a hard time disliking him as well, and I think you've just pointed out why! I always wanted to think he was really being nice and really concerned!

Yeah… you paid 15.000 just to be able to exchange a further trade of services. Fun. :D

Jaheira: We should be used to it by now. Nothing in these forsaken lands is ever for 'free'.
Xan: Except Coran's 'attention'.
Maiyn: Oi.

Have to take my hat off to Aran, not many men would have retained their composure at the glare of an angry druid. :D

Not Jaheira, anyway ;) I think he's seen a lot -- he's sure his smooth way with words will appease them ;)

Hey, and you even got off easy, most Bhaalspawn have to do hundred and one quests in Athkatla before they get this far!

Maiyn: Ah but -- if I went round doing everything, Coran'd be completely bored.
Coran: Well, she has a point.

Anything about higher moral ground from his mouth sounds pretty hilarious! :D

I think Xan'd agree with you there ;)

Blech, their timing could not possibly suck more.

Nope!

*hates all messengers with the burning passion of thousand suns*

Teehee! :D

Good thing they’re not leaving Ano completely alone, he’ll need someone to celebrate with!

Hehehe -- and he gets Mr Party himself, Kivan ;) Ah, at least Minsc will be happy ;)

For such a whiny little bugger he can be very insistent at times. ;)

Maiyn: He sure can.
Xan: :D

*cue romantic music as the couple walks off in the sunset*

:D *looks for a bucket to vomit in* :D

Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

#6 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:26 PM

"Coo," he said, causing Maiyn to grit her teeth.

He's SO annoying.

If you have the coin, yes, you can do anything in Athkatla at the speed of light.

"Does he live at the other side of Athkatla, through a corridor that stretches invisibly across the city?" grumbled the ranger, stalking along the bare stone passage. She'd been in a bad mood since her choking incident during Yoshimo's banter with Renal. The bounty hunter had merely shrugged at her when she pointed out that she had called him Yoshi, on more than one occasion, and he refused to speak further on the matter, saying he wouldn't want to offend a lady's ear.

Those corridors are even more annoying than Gaelan. Especially when the party members decide to take different turns...

"A word I would have with you, Jaheira. Listen carefully whilst I say what I must, for this brings me no pleasure.”

:roll: Harpers...

You're really piling it all on at once, aren't you?

Very sweet, but what with this super extra strength bonding thing she seems to have with Coran? (Or have had, anyway; gods help him if he can pick up on her new feelings...)

#7 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

"Coo," he said, causing Maiyn to grit her teeth.

He's SO annoying.

Yepyep -- I find him more annoying than Elminster, but I think that's because you can *hear* his 'cooes', whereas with Elminster, you can just hit return to get through his dialogue quickly ;)

If you have the coin, yes, you can do anything in Athkatla at the speed of light.

Maiyn: So we're learning. Hmm, by the time this is over and I've cleared out this Bag of Holding, I should be able to declare myself Queen!
Coran: I don't think a crown would really sit well upon your head, and you have other thrones to worry about.
Maiyn: Ah, yes.

Those corridors are even more annoying than Gaelan. Especially when the party members decide to take different turns...

Oh yes :D That especially long one is one point int he game where I can't resist just enabling the console and using the jump cheat...

:wink: Harpers...

Maiyn: Quite. Bah.

You're really piling it all on at once, aren't you?

When I was playing through, this actually happened -- so I thought, well, why not... ;)

Very sweet, but what with this super extra strength bonding thing she seems to have with Coran? (Or have had, anyway; gods help him if he can pick up on her new feelings...)

Funny you should say that... I'll say there's an answer in a few chapters time (well, by Brynnlaw) - and since their bond only ever worked one way, it's much easier for her to put him out of her mind, than in reverse. But... well -- things will happen, of course :)

Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

#8 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:28 AM

I hate to say this, but I kinda liked Gaelen. :) I always got the impression that he was one of those Jack Sparrow types who acts like a complete fool but in reality is quite a cunning character. Plus, me and my sister thought his "coos" quite original. For a while after we first heard his spoken lines we went around exclaiming, "COO! Ye be th' one I be lookin' fer if I not be mistaken." :roll:

"Perhaps we should seek out our other potential allies then," threatened Maiyn darkly.

Believe me, Maiyn, the Shadow Thieves are the lesser evil in this case.

"The guard have little in the way of presence in this district," explained Yoshimo, noting Maiyn's rather surprised look.

As it should be for a large thieves' guild like that. :D (Oh, alright, I'm just partial to thieves.)

;) What a naughty boy you are, Yoshi.

"Little Maiyn will be fine now," announced Minsc happily. "Minsc and Boo have ensured she shall remain breathing!"

:)

Renal Bloodscalp smiled a cruel smile. "Cross the Shadow Thieves again, and you will regret it. Regardless of whom your companions are."

So exactly did you do, anyway, Yoshi?

;)

Ahem. *refrains from fangirlish drooling... though just barely*

And very very creepy.

Aran regarded the ranger with an amused expression, and the elf threw a worried glance to Minsc. The berserker was quietly talking to Boo, seemingly oblivious to the discussion happening around him. "Strange things are afoot at the docks," he continued. "Shipments are disappearing, my employees along with them. We are significantly weakened by this, and I think it unlikely that you would be captured or wooed by the enemy. I would ask you to go to our landing bay, and strengthen our position this eve. There will be a girl there, named Mook. She is my guard captain, and you can trust her."

Ah, poor, doomed Mook. :)

Maiyn looked back into his eyes as he gave her a sincere glance. She felt herself trusting his word, and she nodded slightly. "We are aware, as we said, of the nature of the other guild," she replied quietly. "You will have our assistance."

Like I said, Maiyn. Lesser of the evils. Plus, who's hotter-- Bodhi or Aran? Might as well work for some eye-candy. :)

"We-" began Maiyn, before sighing as another stranger ran up to them. This time it was a man, dressed in shiny armour. He bowed quickly to the group, then turned to address Anomen.

First a Harper, now a messenger. What more can happen to these guys?

D'aww. Too bad Maiyn's so hung up on Playboy. :)

#9 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 26 November 2006 - 03:26 PM

I hate to say this, but I kinda liked Gaelen. ;) I always got the impression that he was one of those Jack Sparrow types who acts like a complete fool but in reality is quite a cunning character. Plus, me and my sister thought his "coos" quite original. For a while after we first heard his spoken lines we went around exclaiming, "COO! Ye be th' one I be lookin' fer if I not be mistaken." :roll:

;) They are quite original, that's true! When I first heard his soundset, I'd be 'coo'ing all over the place until my other half got quite tired of me :) But then karma paid me back by making me get fed up with Gaelen, in turn :D

Believe me, Maiyn, the Shadow Thieves are the lesser evil in this case.

Maiyn: So everyone keeps saying!
Yoshimo: I believe that I do not...
Maiyn: Well, everyone except you.

As it should be for a large thieves' guild like that. ;) (Oh, alright, I'm just partial to thieves.)

*grins* Nothing wrong with that :D I can't say that I don't fall into that bracket anyway, considering my soft spot for Coran and his roguishness ;)

:) What a naughty boy you are, Yoshi.

Yoshimo: ;)

;) :)

Minsc -- always happy to help :D

So exactly did you do, anyway, Yoshi?

Yoshimo: It's, ah, a bit embarrasing. Perhaps there will be time to discuss it later...

;)

Ahem. *refrains from fangirlish drooling... though just barely*

:) Aran's a pretty.. charismatic fellow ;)

And very very creepy.

Maiyn: That too!

Ah, poor, doomed Mook. ;)

Mook: What? Should I be worried?!

Like I said, Maiyn. Lesser of the evils. Plus, who's hotter-- Bodhi or Aran? Might as well work for some eye-candy. :)

Maiyn: *eyes Aran* You have a point.
Xan: *looks aghast*

First a Harper, now a messenger. What more can happen to these guys?

Well, if I'd been feeling particularly cruel, I could have had some random slavers coming round the corner and starting a fight just as some thugs starting shooting from an alleyway and Xan's stoneskin contingency going off, calling over the Cowled Wizards... :)

D'aww. Too bad Maiyn's so hung up on Playboy. ;)

Coran: I've been called worse, I suppose.
Maiyn: Usually by me?
Coran: Or Jaheira, yes.

Thanks for reading and commenting! :?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com