Ember's Tale 51: Minsc's Charge

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:17 AM

Autumn was coming to Gullykin. As Ember and Minsc walked through the woods around the village, they passed several trees with yellowing leaves, and there was a certain crispness in the air that hadn't been there since spring.

And may I just say that the red and white colours Ember isn’t wearing really suit her complexion. :D

Ember: Damn right they don't.

"Who is it that wants me dead? If I am to die, I want to know whose name should be my dying curse," Ember called out to the bounty hunters. Without waiting for the answer, she immediately started to whisper a spell under her breath.

Devious. Much approval.

Thank you.

Minsc gave Ember a confused look. "Boo is good at running, but why would he run when there is evil in need of buttkicking?" A pair of magic missiles flew from the gnome's outstretched hands and struck Ember's side, burning through her leather armor and singeing her flesh. Minsc roared with outrage. "Enough! Evil, meet my sword! Sword, MEET EVIL!" With a bloodcurdling battle cry, he charged at the gnome. Ember bit back the pain in her side and hesitantly followed him, her staff held ready.

Poor personnel management.

You'd have a day's work cut out for you if you wanted to have Minsc run from a fight.

The gnome was cut down in moments, and Minsc turned his attention to the dwarf, who was using his axe to cut away the ensnaring plants. Ember headed straight for the halfling; he was chanting a spell of some sort. Ember swung at him with her staff and managed to interrupt him in mid-cast, but she could immediately tell her heart hadn't been in it; the blow was far too weak to injure him. He shook it off, and laughed at her. "Is that all you have, girlie?" he sneered, and drew his mace. She blocked a handful of his vicious blows, but she had had little melee practice against a short opponent, and it was not long before he'd knocked her off her feet with a swift strike to her ankles. As she lay on the ground, struggling not to scream at the excruciating pain in her feet, she heard the halfling intone another spell.

Is Jaheira the only person she practices with, then? Plenty of halflings around Gullykin she could beat on. :roll:

Yes, she's only practiced with Jaheira and Khalid and Minsc, and she hasn't really put her heart into severely maiming opponents the way she should have.

She could still breathe, still look around, but every muscle in her frame had locked into place, holding her rigidly in a half upright position, and she couldn't feel a thing. She couldn't even move her mouth. The halfling began casting the same spell again, and there was nothing she could do to warn Minsc. I failed him, she thought miserably as she waited for the inevitable.

Doesn’t work on berserkers, so that halflings going to get a nasty shock.

Also doesn't work on people wielding Spider's Bane.

Kill, or be killed.

You don’t have to kill all the time, just defeat them. You get just as many XPs for overcoming an obstacle, and with a little work you can make a recurring enemy into a good XP exploit. :D

Ember: What is this XP?

Her eye caught their mushroom basket, laying under a tree where Minsc had dropped it when they were attacked. The mushrooms were still mostly in the basket; it looked as if someone had just put the basket down for a little break and would come back and resume picking any moment. "What a day," she muttered, and said a healing prayer over a large gash in Minsc's thigh. The ranger moaned in response.

Two lessons for the price of one: dead is dead, however it happens; and life goes on regardless.

And words can never convey that message as well as experiencing it independently does.

Ember smiled. I doubt I am a witch by the standards of Rashemen, but I don't mind if he thinks so. "Maybe he did. Either way, I am honored that you chose us, Minsc. And I am certain Imoen is, as well." She hugged the beaming ranger goodnight and watched as he sauntered off to his room, the hamster nestled safely in his cupped hands.

I'm not one of the people who hates Aerie, but Minsc does need a witch to feel whole, though I actually thought he'd pick Imoen at some point.

He has.

#22 Guest_Finduilas_*

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:36 PM

Great chapter! Minsc's simple and good-hearted rationale for why he fights--for good, for his friends--is a perfect foil for Ember's self-doubts. Hopefully, now Ember can put her fears about her 'dark side' and her need to protect herself and her friends in perspective.

For a bit there I was afraid that you might kill off Minsc, but I'm very glad you didn't. No matter how glorious and heroic his end might be, I would still miss the big lug something fierce.

Lastly, it has to be said that Boo is very smart, and I'm glad he was able to convince Minsc that he could regain his honor by helping Ember and Imoen.

Back to BG next?

#23 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:01 PM

Great chapter! Minsc's simple and good-hearted rationale for why he fights--for good, for his friends--is a perfect foil for Ember's self-doubts. Hopefully, now Ember can put her fears about her 'dark side' and her need to protect herself and her friends in perspective.

She's getting there, at least.

For a bit there I was afraid that you might kill off Minsc, but I'm very glad you didn't. No matter how glorious and heroic his end might be, I would still miss the big lug something fierce.

Rest assured, I Have Plans for Minsc.

Lastly, it has to be said that Boo is very smart, and I'm glad he was able to convince Minsc that he could regain his honor by helping Ember and Imoen.

It's more a case of Minsc attributing all his wisest thoughts to the hamster, actually ;)

Back to BG next?

Not quite, but yes, they'll be heading that way. (Next chapter has been uncooperative for over a week. I started a complete rewrite of it yesterday :roll: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com