Beloved Child 16

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:12 AM

Another Thursday here… time just flies doesn’t it?

I am about eleven chapters ahead of myself which is a good thing. I forgot the entire acting troupe and the planar prison thing so that will happen after the underdark. After this chapter the crew is kind of thrown into more adventures… no downtime here but we can blame Haer`Dalis for that. After that we do get some “rest” for the party and then Nalia gets herself kidnapped. Then follows some chapters which features Groder in a dress.

Please tell me if you think the plot is advancing to fast, if I have made Haer`Dalis too much of a libertine, do I ramble on too much here etc etc…

Thank you for reading!

Beloved Child 16

“Excuse me, miss?”

Jaheira was shaken lightly and woke up. She quickly became alert.

“Yes…” She trailed off.

She looked up at the middle-aged man that had woken her. He was rather nondescript apart from the glasses perched on his nose and the hair was receding from his skull.

“Carlo, you are in the temple of Oghma in the docks.”

“I know that.” She snapped and looked around. “Where is the drow?”

“Well…” Carlo began and sped up when the Jaheira glared at him.

“She is with the boy; she has been there since very late last night. We advised her to get some sleep but she threatened to ermm… castrate us if we didn’t go away. She was very graphic.”

Jaheira sighed and left the room. The others were still fast asleep. Carlo followed her out.

“We think we know how to deactivate the spells in tattoos, both the ink and the symbols themselves. The tattoos will of course remain but there is little we can do in that area.”
Carlo talked as he followed the half-elf up the stairs.

“You think?” Jaheira stopped and queried.

“Well, yes.” Carlo said apologetically. “None of us have ever seen anything like this; I doubt most people who are not plane-walkers have.”

“He has responded to the healing however and is no longer in any real danger of dying. He is still unconscious though.” He added quickly.

“At least there is some good news.” Jaheria said and stopped outside the door that went to the room where Groder lay. “Could you wake the others Loremaster Carlo? I think they may want to freshen up a bit.”

“Oh, of course miss.” Carlo nodded and went down the stairs.

Jaheria opened the door to find Viconia sitting on chair next to the bed. The druid entered and pulled up a chair. She sat down next to the drow. The only thing that could be heard was the boy`s even breathing.

“It surprises me though, your concern.” Jaheira said eventually.

Viconia did not appear to hear her at first and then she spoke.

“He saved me twice, accepted and welcomed me without reservation.” the drow spoke slowly, in a low voice. “Whatever the motivation was, very few would have done me such favours.”

Jaheira shook her head.

“I remember when he came back with you trailing after him.”

“I remember it as well but where you saw an irresponsible child I saw the man he may had become.” Viconia paused and looked at Jaheira. “With a nobility of his own.”

“May had? He is not dead you know.” The druid responded.

“No, but he will change. These things cannot leave you unaffected. Even you should know that, Jaheira.” Viconia looked back at the sleeping boy.

The half-elf was surprised that Viconia called her by name.

“There is more to you then it seems Viconia” She mused out loud

“Of course but I am not a book to be read by the likes of you. I am Drow still.” The Drow said and smiled.

“I think you two may have seen more of each other then I ever will.”

“Maybe, does that disturb you?”

“Once it would have… maybe it should. I don’t know.” Jaheria peered at the boy. “He is still young and I still feel that he is my responsibility, despite his foolishness.”

“Maybe you won’t be tossed in front of a spell.” Viconia muttered.

“What?”

“Nothing, it was nothing at all.”

The half-elf and the drow looked at the sleeping boy and said nothing more for a good while.

Carlo was pleased to see that baths, fresh clothes and food in their stomachs made the adventurers look like people again. It had been about three hours since he woke them and they were all gathered in the temples dining hall.

“Things are progressing fine with err…” He began and realized he knew neither the boy’s nor any of their names.

“Groder.” Jaheria filled in.

“Ah… yes… Groder. If…” The man quickly corrected himself. “Once he awakes he should be fully restored, of course I cannot say if his mind has been affected the ordeal.” Carlo finished.

“Thank you, could you leave us alone for a while, we need to discuss things.” Jaheira asked.

“Of course.” Carlo bowed and left.

“So, the question is what we do now” The half-elf began. “If he does not wake up again this venture may as well be over. We can wait but not forever.”

“I do not think we should lose faith so quickly” Yoshimo said. “He does have a rather strong will.”

The bounty hunter didn’t feel the geas as strongly as last night which he assumed meant that Groder was beyond danger at least. It didn’t bring him much happiness.

“Are you suggesting we should go our separate ways?” Nalia asked and then glanced at Yoshimo.

“No!” Jaheria said a bit more harshly then she intended. “I mean that we need to wait and see.”

“But as you say, we cannot wait forever, everything will slip away.” Haer`Dalis said balancing his chair on two of its legs. “If no one objects I could bring the Raven with us when we leave. There will be a myriad of ways to awaken him on the planes.”

“And many may as well kill him.” Jaheira retorted.

The bard shrugged.

“We always take chances. The best way would of course to be to find an illithid in the city.” He mused.

“A mind devourer?” Viconia asked and almost laughed. “Such a thing would most likely demand a tribute and we have almost nothing. Besides were would you find one in this city?”

“Obviously I was not talking about this city, my crow.” The actor answered.

“There will be no mind flayers.” Jaheria stated “Or planar jumps. The clerics are positive about his condition after all.”

It was the building blocks of dreams. He floated in a starry void, feeling and knowing nothing. Memories danced just out of reach. Youth… Letters of betrayal… Anger… A giant in armour… A Drow and woman with a tattooed face laughing… The giant falling… Pain… Dead blue eyes…

“I had hoped to use your dreams as a means for goading you on and unlocking your powers.” A dead voice said.

Groder looked around. Irenicus stood in the void, unmoving.

“How clever of that old thing... there is magic in the symbols, magic in the ink and there was magic in the needles no doubt.” He waved a hand and suddenly they were standing on water stretching endlessly in all directions. A never setting sun loomed in the horizon.

“Normally I would not be able to alter things in your mind but now… you are so weak now. I will not have it, not when you have almost reached the powers within.”

“You are born of murder, the essence of that which takes life. If you wish to live you will have to draw on the murder within you like you did once before and I want you to live.”

“No…” Groder whispered. “I will not be ruled by it, I will rule it. If not I shall contain it…”

The waters twisted and became a busy street in Baldurs Gate.

“I see your mind still maintains some coherence, good. Work on it, I shall return.”

Everything faded and Groder floated in the void again.

“YOU THINK YOU CAN USE MY POWER AND THEN DEFY ME?” Bhaals voice echoed in the void.

“Why… yes, yes I do.” He whispered and smiled.

“YOU ARE FAR TOO ARROGANT! YOU WILL NOT DEFY THE BLOOD!”

A copy of the boy materialized in front of him. The copies eyes were a molten gold.

“How trite…” Groder whispered.

“Is it?” The copy asked. It spun in place. “I rather like it, young and pretty as it is.”

“You know what I mean.”

“Of course, I do.” The copy cocked its head. “Shall we dispense with the pleasantries and simply do this? The stakes are as usual in these matters about who controls your body, you or me.

The void shifted, blurred and became solid. It became tanned oak floors with a large rectangular carpet bathed in sunlight from a huge panorama window. The walls were high and painted white with wooden panels, weapons hung along them.

“The sparring room in the Gates ducal palace, you have good taste.” Groder commented.

“I am you, so we have good taste.” The twin answered.

His twin was trying out rapiers, weighing them, trusting and then put them back in the rack.
Groder glanced at the weapons and then his occupied twin. He charged. Barrelling into the twin from behind both of them crashed into the weapon rack. Groder landed on his copy.

“I knew you were going to do that.” It said and suddenly held a stiletto in its hand. It jabbed, missed as Groder rolled of him.

“You little bastard.” He said.

“We are the same bastard” It replied.

“Granted” Groder replied and grabbed a rapier. He rolled and stabbed at the copy. It rolled under the blade and came face to face with the original.

“For someone who was horrifically tortured our mind is really spry.”

“My mind, not yours.” Groder replied.

“Soon all mine!” The copy said and pressed the stiletto against Groders throat. The boy in turn rested the rapiers blade over the copy’s heart.

“I can slit your throat before you have the time to stab me.” It hissed.

“With that little blade?” Groder taunted.

“Size doesn’t matter.”

“Yes it does.” The boy replied and swung his left arm high. He held another rapier in his left hand; it pierced the side of the copy’s head.

“Oh, you utter...” It breathed and then dissolved. The walls cracked and through them a warm light spilled. They kept cracking until they shattered in a million shining pieces.

“Fine, have your little victory.” Bhaals voice was normal again. “The blood will win out in the end.”

Groder slowly opened his eyes. He was lying on something soft covered by a warm sheet. If this was some sort of an afterlife it looked remarkably close to a study. As he sat up he felt the strain in his limbs and the residues of pain. Inspecting himself he found that his entire torso and arms were filled with those damned tattoos. A vague memory echoed in his head and he quickly pulled out the front of his pants. He sighed with relief; at least everything was in order below the waist. No tattoos or rings, he shuddered briefly at the thought.

Groder eased of the bed. He wobbled slightly and steadied himself. There was a window but it opened up on a grey wall. He went over to the room’s door and pushed it open. The corridor outside was empty. Stairs lead down and more doors lined the walls of the corridor. Light streamed in from windows in the ceiling. The boy crossed the corridor to the door opposite the one he had come from. It was aanother study, a large one. The walls were lined with bookshelves and by one of the two windows sat a large desk. Over the fireplace hung a symbol of a blank scroll and he realized that he was in a temple of Oghma.

He walked over to one of the windows and looked out. He could see the roofs of houses and boats anchored to the dock. He wondered briefly which of the ships he had been on but reasoned that it would not have stayed in port. Taking a look at the desk he found a book on magical tattoos. It seemed that the clerics of Oghma were responsible for the removal of whatever magic had been bound into him. He briefly wondered if it meant that he was indebted to them.

Groder realized that he should seek out the others if they still were here. He put the book down and was about to exit the room when the door opened. The balding man with glasses froze when he saw Groder.

“You are awake?” It was barley a whisper.

#2 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:37 PM

She looked up at the middle-aged man that had woken her. He was rather nondescript apart from the glasses perched on his nose and the hair was receding from his skull.

I don't think 'skull' really is the best word to use here. Forehead would sound quite a bit less creepy :roll:

“He saved me twice, accepted and welcomed me without reservation.” the drow spoke slowly, in a low voice. “Whatever the motivation was, very few would have done me such favours.”

I don't think many drow would have noticed such favours.

It was the building blocks of dreams. He floated in a starry void, feeling and knowing nothing. Memories danced just out of reach. Youth… Letters of betrayal… Anger… A giant in armour… A Drow and woman with a tattooed face laughing… The giant falling… Pain… Dead blue eyes…

I don't envy any Bhaalspawn their dreams. And Groder's seem nastier than most.

Groder slowly opened his eyes. He was lying on something soft covered by a warm sheet. If this was some sort of an afterlife it looked remarkably close to a study. As he sat up he felt the strain in his limbs and the residues of pain. Inspecting himself he found that his entire torso and arms were filled with those damned tattoos. A vague memory echoed in his head and he quickly pulled out the front of his pants. He sighed with relief; at least everything was in order below the waist. No tattoos or rings, he shuddered briefly at the thought.

... I don't want to know.

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:09 PM

I am about eleven chapters ahead of myself which is a good thing. I forgot the entire acting troupe and the planar prison thing so that will happen after the underdark. After this chapter the crew is kind of thrown into more adventures… no downtime here but we can blame Haer`Dalis for that. After that we do get some “rest” for the party and then Nalia gets herself kidnapped. Then follows some chapters which features Groder in a dress.

Stop giving away all the crucial plot points!

Please tell me if you think the plot is advancing to fast, if I have made Haer`Dalis too much of a libertine, do I ramble on too much here etc etc…

Umm… yeah. :D

“She is with the boy; she has been there since very late last night. We advised her to get some sleep but she threatened to ermm… castrate us if we didn’t go away. She was very graphic.”

You could almost start to think that she cares!

“We think we know how to deactivate the spells in tattoos, both the ink and the symbols themselves. The tattoos will of course remain but there is little we can do in that area.”

Hmm, Groder might actually think the tattoos are kind of cool… if they are not causing him agonizing pain, that is. :lol:

“He has responded to the healing however and is no longer in any real danger of dying. He is still unconscious though.” He added quickly.

Was his eyes focusing on your face or lower when he invited you to the group? :D

“Once it would have… maybe it should. I don’t know.” Jaheria peered at the boy. “He is still young and I still feel that he is my responsibility, despite his foolishness.”

Aww, what cute moment of female bonding! :D

They do seem to work together quite well in my stories too – I don’t see why they should not when they are not in competition for the main character.

“Ah… yes… Groder. If…” The man quickly corrected himself. “Once he awakes he should be fully restored, of course I cannot say if his mind has been affected the ordeal.” Carlo finished.

Interesting prospect… an even less stable Groder… :roll:

“So, the question is what we do now” The half-elf began. “If he does not wake up again this venture may as well be over. We can wait but not forever.”

May I suggest waiting for just a little bit? :lol:

The bounty hunter didn’t feel the geas as strongly as last night which he assumed meant that Groder was beyond danger at least. It didn’t bring him much happiness.

It would be interesting to see the reaction of Irenicus if Yoshimo fails to deliver the boy to him…

“But as you say, we cannot wait forever, everything will slip away.” Haer`Dalis said balancing his chair on two of its legs. “If no one objects I could bring the Raven with us when we leave. There will be a myriad of ways to awaken him on the planes.”

Hmmm, I think all Faerun would breathe easier if that happened! ;)

“A mind devourer?” Viconia asked and almost laughed. “Such a thing would most likely demand a tribute and we have almost nothing. Besides were would you find one in this city?”

Where you find any shady character – in the sewers!

“You are born of murder, the essence of that which takes life. If you wish to live you will have to draw on the murder within you like you did once before and I want you to live.”

“No…” Groder whispered. “I will not be ruled by it, I will rule it. If not I shall contain it…”

I think that Bhaal can let you have the illusion that you are in control of it.

“I knew you were going to do that.” It said and suddenly held a stiletto in its hand. It jabbed, missed as Groder rolled of him.

Argh, two Groder’s, I don’t know whom to cheer for! :D

“Oh, you utter...” It breathed and then dissolved. The walls cracked and through them a warm light spilled. They kept cracking until they shattered in a million shining pieces.

“Fine, have your little victory.” Bhaals voice was normal again. “The blood will win out in the end.”

I’m sure Bhaal has more subtle ways to win him over. :D

Maybe Viconia would have been turned on by that…

Groder realized that he should seek out the others if they still were here. He put the book down and was about to exit the room when the door opened. The balding man with glasses froze when he saw Groder.

Awake, and soon back in action, so it would seem! :D

#4 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:28 PM

I don't think 'skull' really is the best word to use here. Forehead would sound quite a bit less creepy :lol:

Ehh... It does seems a bit weird. :roll:

I don't think many drow would have noticed such favours.

No, but Viconia isn`t exactly ordinary seeing how she refused to sacrife a child IIRC.

I don't envy any Bhaalspawn their dreams. And Groder's seem nastier than most.

Yep, especially since Irenicus has been manipulating them.

... I don't want to know.

:lol:

#5 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:43 PM

[quote][quote]I am about eleven chapters ahead of myself which is a good thing. I forgot the entire acting troupe and the planar prison thing so that will happen after the underdark. After this chapter the crew is kind of thrown into more adventures… no downtime here but we can blame Haer`Dalis for that. After that we do get some “rest” for the party and then Nalia gets herself kidnapped. Then follows some chapters which features Groder in a dress. [/quote]

Stop giving away all the crucial plot points!
[/quote]

I have not given away all of them but I`ll stop. :lol:

[quote]
[quote]Please tell me if you think the plot is advancing to fast, if I have made Haer`Dalis too much of a libertine, do I ramble on too much here etc etc…
[/quote]

Umm… yeah. ;)
[/quote]

Does that mean that I advance things to fast, made Haer`Dalis too much of a libertine or that I ramble to much. :lol:

[quote]
[quote]“She is with the boy; she has been there since very late last night. We advised her to get some sleep but she threatened to ermm… castrate us if we didn’t go away. She was very graphic.”
[/quote]

You could almost start to think that she cares!
[/quote]

Almost! Maybe her heart has grown three sizes.

[quote]
[quote]“We think we know how to deactivate the spells in tattoos, both the ink and the symbols themselves. The tattoos will of course remain but there is little we can do in that area.”
[/quote]

Hmm, Groder might actually think the tattoos are kind of cool… if they are not causing him agonizing pain, that is. :D
[/quote]

Maybe if the circumstances had been different. :)

[quote]
[quote]“He has responded to the healing however and is no longer in any real danger of dying. He is still unconscious though.” He added quickly.[/quote]

[quote]“He saved me twice, accepted and welcomed me without reservation.” the drow spoke slowly, in a low voice. “Whatever the motivation was, very few would have done me such favours.”
[/quote]

Was his eyes focusing on your face or lower when he invited you to the group? :D
[/quote]

Buh? The quoting seems a bit wonky here.

Groders eyes roamed during the invitation. :D

[quote]
[quote]“Once it would have… maybe it should. I don’t know.” Jaheria peered at the boy. “He is still young and I still feel that he is my responsibility, despite his foolishness.”

[/quote]

[quote]
Aww, what cute moment of female bonding! :D

They do seem to work together quite well in my stories too – I don’t see why they should not when they are not in competition for the main character.
[/quote]

Yeah, I think they could get along somewhat ok without the male PC there to muck things up.

[quote]
[quote]“Ah… yes… Groder. If…” The man quickly corrected himself. “Once he awakes he should be fully restored, of course I cannot say if his mind has been affected the ordeal.” Carlo finished.
[/quote]

Interesting prospect… an even less stable Groder… :roll:
[/quote]

Erg… He went right back to being himself… I have no control over him at all… :D

[quote]
[quote]“So, the question is what we do now” The half-elf began. “If he does not wake up again this venture may as well be over. We can wait but not forever.” [/quote]

May I suggest waiting for just a little bit? :D
[/quote]

They will be waiting of course.

[quote]
[quote]The bounty hunter didn’t feel the geas as strongly as last night which he assumed meant that Groder was beyond danger at least. It didn’t bring him much happiness.[/quote]

It would be interesting to see the reaction of Irenicus if Yoshimo fails to deliver the boy to him…
[/quote]

Well, Irenicus still has Imoen...

[quote]
[quote]“But as you say, we cannot wait forever, everything will slip away.” Haer`Dalis said balancing his chair on two of its legs. “If no one objects I could bring the Raven with us when we leave. There will be a myriad of ways to awaken him on the planes.”
[/quote]

Hmmm, I think all Faerun would breathe easier if that happened! :D
[/quote]

Yeah... but the poor, poor planes would suffer so much.

[quote]
[quote]“A mind devourer?” Viconia asked and almost laughed. “Such a thing would most likely demand a tribute and we have almost nothing. Besides were would you find one in this city?”
[/quote]

Where you find any shady character – in the sewers!
[/quote]

I am guessing that Mind Flayers don`t have noses.

[quote]
[quote]“You are born of murder, the essence of that which takes life. If you wish to live you will have to draw on the murder within you like you did once before and I want you to live.”

[/quote]

I think that Bhaal can let you have the illusion that you are in control of it.
[/quote]

Oh yes...

[quote]
[quote]“I knew you were going to do that.” It said and suddenly held a stiletto in its hand. It jabbed, missed as Groder rolled of him.

[/quote]

Argh, two Groder’s, I don’t know whom to cheer for! :D
[/quote]

Neither is very pleasant. :D

[quote]
[quote]“Oh, you utter...” It breathed and then dissolved. The walls cracked and through them a warm light spilled. They kept cracking until they shattered in a million shining pieces. [/quote]

[quote]“Fine, have your little victory.” Bhaals voice was normal again. “The blood will win out in the end.” [/quote]

I’m sure Bhaal has more subtle ways to win him over. :D
[/quote]

When you can’t fight, deceive

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Maybe Viconia would have been turned on by that…
[/quote]

Maybe but we will never know. ;)

[quote]
[quote]Groder realized that he should seek out the others if they still were here. He put the book down and was about to exit the room when the door opened. The balding man with glasses froze when he saw Groder.

“You are awake?” It was barley a whisper.[/quote]

Awake, and soon back in action, so it would seem! :([/quote]

Oh yes and such action is shall be!

#6 Guest_sparrow_*

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:33 PM

Thank you for reading!

Wow, eleven chapters. :roll: I envy you, I do. *covers eyes* Nope, didn't see any of what you've got planned. Pace and HD still seem fine to me, and as for the rambling... :D And thanks for writing! :D

“Well…” Carlo began and sped up when the Jaheira glared at him.

:lol: And was that intentional, giving Jaheira a title and more intimidating air? :D

“What?”

“Nothing, it was nothing at all.”

:lol: Lovely Vic-Jah convo too.

The bard shrugged.

“We always take chances. The best way would of course to be to find an illithid in the city.” He mused.

Aww!...ahem. Interesting idea, shame there won't be "mind flayers or planar jumps."

Who's that? Liked the creepy dream too, especially its ending.

Yay, and a typo. :D

#7 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:05 PM

[quote][quote] I am about eleven chapters ahead of myself which is a good thing. I forgot the entire acting troupe and the planar prison thing so that will happen after the underdark. After this chapter the crew is kind of thrown into more adventures… no downtime here but we can blame Haer`Dalis for that. After that we do get some “rest” for the party and then Nalia gets herself kidnapped. Then follows some chapters which features Groder in a dress.

Thank you for reading! [/quote]

Wow, eleven chapters. :shock: I envy you, I do. *covers eyes* Nope, didn't see any of what you've got planned. Pace and HD still seem fine to me, and as for the rambling... :D And thanks for writing! :cry:
[/quote]

:roll: Thank you you for reading.

[quote]
[quote]“Well…” Carlo began and sped up when the Jaheira glared at him.

“She is with the boy; she has been there since very late last night. We advised her to get some sleep but she threatened to ermm… castrate us if we didn’t go away. She was very graphic.” [/quote]

:roll: And was that intentional, giving Jaheira a title and more intimidating air? :D
[/quote]

Woops! That was just a mistake. :D

[quote]
[quote]“Once it would have… maybe it should. I don’t know.” Jaheria peered at the boy. “He is still young and I still feel that he is my responsibility, despite his foolishness.”

“What?”

“Nothing, it was nothing at all.” [/quote]

:lol: Lovely Vic-Jah convo too.
[/quote]

They do get a little bonding.

[quote]
[quote]“But as you say, we cannot wait forever, everything will slip away.” Haer`Dalis said balancing his chair on two of its legs. “If no one objects I could bring the Raven with us when we leave. There will be a myriad of ways to awaken him on the planes.”

The bard shrugged.

“We always take chances. The best way would of course to be to find an illithid in the city.” He mused. [/quote]

Aww!...ahem. Interesting idea, shame there won't be "mind flayers or planar jumps."
[/quote]

Heh, one of them may happen yet. :D

[quote]
[quote]It was the building blocks of dreams. He floated in a starry void, feeling and knowing nothing. Memories danced just out of reach. Youth… Letters of betrayal… Anger… A giant in armour… A Drow and woman with a tattooed face laughing… The giant falling… Pain… Dead blue eyes… [/quote]

Who's that? Liked the creepy dream too, especially its ending.
[/quote]

It is Shar-Teel. One of my favourite NPC:s from BG1.

[quote]
[quote]Groder realized that he should seek out the others if they still were here. He put the book down and was about to exit the room when the door opened. The balding man with glasses froze when he saw Groder.

“You are awake?” It was barley a whisper.[/quote]
[/quote]

Yay, and a typo. :cry:[/quote]

Thanks for reading and commenting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com