Ember's Tale 50: Ulcaster

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:47 PM

Chapter 50: Ulcaster

Edwin rummaged furiously through the stockpile of staves at the Beregost smithy. It was a warm, sunny autumn morning, and Imoen was humming as she skipped around the store in search of interesting items, but he was doing his best to ignore such irrelevant details. As he had predicted, most of the staves were worthless; heavy, unenchanted, and probably with splinters. No self respecting wizard would willingly settle for such inadequacy...

There.

It was made of pale wood inlaid with gold. It had been polished to perfect smoothness, and had the familiar, characteristic feel of a magical weapon. Its enchantments were not overly powerful, but it was at the very least a match to the staff that had been so unfairly taken away from him.

It would suffice.

He pulled the staff out of the weapons rack and placed it on the bench they were gathering their merchandise on. Kivan had already almost filled the bench with several bundles of arrows, a few bags of sling bullets, and a set of enchanted leather armour.

"Hey, Eddie, would you look at this?" Imoen chirped from behind a shelf.

"(Now what?) What is it?" he asked with a sigh.

The girl held out a handful of small darts.

"I fail to see the significance of these."

"They're stunning darts," Imoen said. "You throw them at someone, and if you hit good enough, you'll stun them for a bit."

"I know what stunning darts are."

"I saw them laying there, and remembered how good you were at throwing rocks. So I thought you should have some of them! They could buy you some time in a tight spot, I think," she said with a broad grin.

"I... see," he said slowly. It was a good idea.

"Well?" she said.

"I shall take them," Edwin said. Imoen smiled and placed the darts on the bench alongside the other items.

---

After many insufferable miles across an uneven hill landscape (which made Edwin even more pleased to have a staff in his possession once again), the three of them reached the Ulcaster ruins in the late afternoon.

"So far, I am not impressed," Edwin said. "(No, not impressed at all.)" A collection of tumbled stone walls crowned the grassy hill before them. The builders had clearly at least had the sense to import granite for building, as the stones used in the buildings were darker and looked more sturdier than anything it'd be possible to make from the local rocks (a brittle sandstone that crumbled at the lightest touch). That did not, however, change the fact that there were no actual buildings left. There didn't appear to even be anywhere to begin to search for artifacts.

"Maybe there's more below the surface. Cellars, storage rooms, that kind of stuff," Imoen said.

"We shall investigate it," Kivan said, "but be watchful. There may be hidden dangers."

A narrow path led up the side of the hill, and once they'd disposed of a few hobgoblins that were foolish enough to get in their way, they followed the path up to the ruins. Up close, they were even less impressive.

"This is a waste of time," Edwin said. "(This is what one gets for listening to local buffoons.)"

"Giving up so easily, Eddie?" the infuriating girl said.

"Edwin Odesseiron never gives up!" he exclaimed, but she merely grinned at him and ran off to the far end of the ruins. "(That girl has entirely too little respect for my greatness,)" he muttered unhappily, and looked around. He was standing in a large square outlined by stones. It had to be a study hall, he deduced, and the two largest boulders had to mark where the entrance once was. Yes, and where Imoen stood were several smaller rooms, probably quarters or storage rooms.

"There's so little left," he heard Imoen say. He glanced her way and saw her nudge a rock with her foot. The last rays of the setting sun caught her hair as the breeze whipped it around; for a moment, it looked like a living flame danced around her head. Then the sun set, extinguishing the illusion. Edwin turned his attention back to the stones that he had determined were once the floor of a dais.

"The stones were taken away for other buildings, perhaps," the elf suggested.

"Don't be so stupid," Edwin said.

"I don't see what's so stupid about that," Imoen said.

Edwin sighed deeply. "What is so stupid about it is the fact that the locals are too scared of this place to go anywhere near it," he said. "It is a haunted magic school, remember? (Why must I always point out the obvious?)"

"...the best of schools..." a voice whispered.

"Who said that?!" Edwin demanded.

"...a storehouse of arcane knowledge..."

"Show yourself!" Edwin shouted. "(I am not scared, damn it!)"

"Look," Imoen whispered, pointing quietly towards the dais.

"I don't see anything," Edwin said. "(A particularly thick patch of mist, perhaps... mist with arms and legs... oh dear.)"

"...lost, all lost..." the apparition moaned.

"What can we do for you?" Kivan asked quietly.

"...all for knowledge did we strive... nothing left..." the ghost said. "Hope would return with the retrieval of the simplest of tomes... beneath the rubble... on the lowest floors... return hope... history is so important..."

"Didn't I tell you there was more to this place?" Edwin exclaimed.

"Sure you did," Imoen said. She turned towards him, and her expression froze. "Um, Eddie... run!"

Edwin turned around, and found himself face to face with a dozen or so animated skeletons. He quickly raised a hand and fired a volley of magic missiles at one of them. It crumpled to the ground with a satisfying crunching sound, but the others advanced. He took Imoen's advice, and sprinted towards her and the elf. She was firing her own magic missiles at the skeletons, while Kivan used his war hammer to smash the ones that got too close. Several ghouls were now visible behind the skeletons. Edwin noted with some surprise that the moaning creatures swung their large fists at anything in their path, including the stones of the ruins.

"There are too many!" Kivan shouted. "Fall back!"

Edwin's shoulder exploded with pain, and he staggered backwards. The ground seemed to vanish beneath his feet. Is this the end? he wondered.

Then, everything went black.

---

Something cool and invigorating trickled down Edwin's throat. He sputtered, then swallowed most of it. He opened his eyes, and found himself looking at Imoen's very worried face.

"Are you all right?" the girl demanded. He noticed a half empty bottle of healing potion in her hand.

"What happened?" he asked, not feeling comfortable without a complete grasp of the situation.

"Throwing dagger in your shoulder. I took it out," she said, and held up the offending object. He winced. "And then you fell down this stairwell. You hit your head pretty badly on the steps," she continued.

Edwin looked around. In the dim glow of Imoen's magelight, he could make out dusty walls and some rubble. "Here?" he asked.

"We are below the ruins," Kivan said. "The undead are waiting above, but they should depart by dawn. I do not think they can descend."

"I see," Edwin said, thoughtfully rubbing the bump on his head. "(Any treasures must be down here.) We must explore this area while we wait."

"I knew you'd say that," Imoen said with a grin.

The three of them walked through a maze of crisscrossing hallways. Every now and then, Imoen stopped to disarm a trap, and every now and then, Kivan shot arrows into the darkness. His targets, whatever they were, died with loud whimpers.

After what felt like hours, they reached a large room that seemed fairly well preserved. And in a side alcove...

"Look at that, Eddie!" Imoen exclaimed as the magelight revealed a pile of books and scrolls and who knew what else. "Let me just check for traps!" The girl darted forward, and a wolf darted out of the alcove, snarling and lunging at Imoen.

It was the largest wolf Edwin had ever seen.

Imoen screamed and rolled sideways, dodging the wolf's first attack. It growled angrily and turned to charge her again. One of Kivan's arrows bounced harmlessly off the wolf's side. The elf cursed. Edwin Odesseiron, the greatest wizard of all time, acted.

A stunning dart to its buttocks, to halt its attack. Then, a flame arrow, setting its fur ablaze. Then magic missiles. Imoen (the clever girl) was pelting it with her own missiles even as she lay sideways on the floor. The creature was whimpering with pain by the time Kivan broke its neck with a swift hammer blow.

"Thanks, Eddie," Imoen said, and wrapped her arms around his neck. For a moment, this irrational emotional display annoyed him. Then his heart swelled with pride.

"It was nothing. I am, after all, Edwin Odesseiron," he said. "(Now, about that treasure...)"

Imoen let go of him, and they sifted through the pile in the alcove. Although most of it was rubbish, they found numerous scrolls and potions, and even the occasional wand, making the trip more than worth their while.

"Hey, I found a history book," Imoen said, holding up a dusty tome. "I wonder if that ghost would want it?"

"Who knows?" Kivan said.

"It does not matter, for he can't have it," Edwin said.

"Says who?" Imoen replied. She picked up the book and hurried towards the exit.

"It's dangerous! I demand you stop!" Edwin shouted, but to no avail. He glanced exasperatedly at the elf, and the two of them ran after her. "(Women,)" Edwin muttered between breaths.

They didn't catch up with the foolish girl until they reached the stairwell to the surface. Imoen was standing at the top, talking with the ghost.

"...to teach once more... in a celestial class..." Edwin heard the ghost say.

"Good luck!" Imoen said.

"...come, children... we will prevent the same from happening... some day..." the ghost said. The skeletons and other undead creatures gathered around the apparition. Edwin gripped Imoen by the arm and pulled her back from the horrific sight.

There was a blinding flash of light. "...we all shall live again... someday..." the ghost's voice whispered.

When the light faded, Edwin, Imoen and Kivan were alone on the hill.

#2 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:27 PM

It was made of pale wood inlaid with gold. It had been polished to perfect smoothness, and had the familiar, characteristic feel of a magical weapon. Its enchantments were not overly powerful, but it was at the very least a match to the staff that had been so unfairly taken away from him.

Oooh, purdy :lol:

"I saw them laying there, and remembered how good you were at throwing rocks. So I thought you should have some of them! They could buy you some time in a tight spot, I think," she said with a broad grin.

Yeah, it IS a good idea! Even he can't argue with that!

"Well?" she said.

"I shall take them," Edwin said. Imoen smiled and placed the darts on the bench alongside the other items.

Hee :lol:

"We shall investigate it," Kivan said, "but be watchful. There may be hidden dangers."

Isn't there always? :roll:

"Edwin Odesseiron never gives up!" he exclaimed, but she merely grinned at him and ran off to the far end of the ruins. "(That girl has entirely too little respect for my greatness,)" he muttered unhappily, and looked around. He was standing in a large square outlined by stones. It had to be a study hall, he deduced, and the two largest boulders had to mark where the entrance once was. Yes, and where Imoen stood were several smaller rooms, probably quarters or storage rooms.

Astute Eddie :cry: I love how this is all described from his viewpoint.

"There's so little left," he heard Imoen say. He glanced her way and saw her nudge a rock with her foot. The last rays of the setting sun caught her hair as the breeze whipped it around; for a moment, it looked like a living flame danced around her head. Then the sun set, extinguishing the illusion. Edwin turned his attention back to the stones that he had determined were once the floor of a dais.

And I loved that description of her hair.

Edwin sighed deeply. "What is so stupid about it is the fact that the locals are too scared of this place to go anywhere near it," he said. "It is a haunted magic school, remember? (Why must I always point out the obvious?)"

Because everyone else is thinking up explanations for things and you have to dismiss the ones that don't make sense for them :lol:

"I don't see anything," Edwin said. "(A particularly thick patch of mist, perhaps... mist with arms and legs... oh dear.)"

Teehee! :)

"Throwing dagger in your shoulder. I took it out," she said, and held up the offending object. He winced. "And then you fell down this stairwell. You hit your head pretty badly on the steps," she continued.

Uh, Eddie -- when Kivan said 'fall back', he didn't literally mean for you to fall... :)

A stunning dart to its buttocks, to halt its attack. Then, a fire arrow, setting its fur ablaze. Then magic missiles. Imoen, the clever girl, was pelting it with her own missiles even as she lay sideways on the floor. The creature was whimpering with pain by the time Kivan broke its neck with a swift hammer blow.

They make quite the group!

"Thanks, Eddie," Imoen said, and wrapped her arms around his neck. For a moment, this irrational emotional display annoyed him. Then his heart swelled with pride.

Awwww! :(

"It's dangerous! I demand you stop!" Edwin shouted, but to no avail. He glanced exasperatedly at the elf, and the two of them ran after her. "(Women,)" Edwin muttered between breaths.

Poor Eddie.

#3 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:07 AM

Huzzah for finding uses for skills usually only useful in baseball games! Or... something like that.

Naaaaah, it's perfectly safe!

Ooooh, purdy. :)

Well, I s'pose he has a point... but some people don't pass up free stuff even for ghosts.

It was that cow over there. I swear.

:roll:

"Look," Imoen whispered, pointing quietly towards the dais.

:cry: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :) So polite! Like a clerk asking if he can help you in a store.

Edwin's shoulder exploded with pain, and he staggered backwards. The ground seemed to vanish beneath his feet. Is this the end? he wondered.

Don't worry, Eddie, I'll kiss it better!

Or... someone will, anyway. Eventually. Probably. :(

The three of them walked through a mazy of crisscrossing hallways. Every now and then, Imoen stopped to disarm a trap, and every now and then, Kivan shot arrows into the darkness. His targets, whatever they were, died with loud whimpers.

Must be nice to have infravision.

"Look at that, Eddie!" Imoen exclaimed as the magelight revealed a pile of books and scrolls and who knew what else. "Let me just check for traps!" The girl darted forward, and a wolf darted out of the alcove, snarling and lunging at Imoen.

That was very not good, Immy.

*SPUTTERCHOKEDEATHBYADORABLENESS*

Yeah, what about us, Eddie? Maybe you wanna make something of it? :(

"...come, children... we will prevent the same from happening... some day..." the ghost said. The skeletons and other undead creatures gathered around the apparition. Edwin gripped Imoen by the arm and pulled her back from the horrific sight.

D'aww, protective Eddie. :D

Mmkay, I'm officially dead by Cute™.

#4 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:12 AM

Harlequin: "You know, just because I act dumb doesn't mean I -am- dumb."

Raven: "Oh believe me, I'm totally aware of this. I stopped underestimating you the first time you managed to steal all my underwear and freeze it."

Well... yeah... otherwise this would be boring. :lol:

(That girl has entirely too little respect for my greatness,)

Maybe, but she has an appropriate level of contempt for your incompetence. :roll:

Is this the end? he wondered.

Nope. We're not -that- lucky.

Raven: (Drops a hand to her sidearm) "You were saying?"

There. Problem solved. Can we go home now? :cry:

#5 Guest_Scavenger_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:58 AM

"Hey, Eddie, would you look at this?" Imoen chirped from behind a shelf.

"(Now what?) What is it?" he asked with a sigh.

"They're stunning darts," Imoen said. "You throw them at someone, and if you hit good enough, you'll stun them for a bit."

Bravo, Imoen! And I believe that there is some sort of returning throwing weapon in game ).

"This is a waste of time," Edwin said. "(This is what one gets for listening to local buffoons.)"

"Edwin Odesseiron never gives up!" he exclaimed, but she merely grinned at him and ran off to the far end of the ruins.

He has forgotten about sling already...

And even more than you would like :roll:

The three of them walked through a mazy of crisscrossing hallways. Every now and then, Imoen stopped to disarm a trap, and every now and then, Kivan shot arrows into the darkness. His targets, whatever they were, died with loud whimpers.

Elven sniper seems to be handy underground.

I have a feeling that it will be Imoen-Edwin romance, not Edwin-CHARNAME. :cry:

They didn't catch up with the foolish girl until they reached the stairwell to the surface. Imoen was standing at the top, talking with the ghost.

"...to teach once more... in a celestial class..." Edwin heard the ghost say.

"Good luck!" Imoen said.

There was a blinding flash of light. "...we all shall live again... someday..." the ghost's voice whispered.

It is kind of touching...

Thanks for good chapter).

#6 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:08 AM

Edwin rummaged furiously through the stockpile of staves at the Beregost smithy. It was a warm, sunny autumn morning, and Imoen was humming as she skipped around the store in search of interesting items, but he was doing his best to ignore such irrelevant details. As he had predicted, most of the staves were worthless; heavy, unenchanted, and probably with splinters. No self respecting wizard would willingly settle for such inadequacy...

Only quality will suffice. Kind of funny though:

"Hold on, hold on! Stop the combat! I have splinters in my fingers!"

"So far, I am not impressed," Edwin said. "(No, not impressed at all.)" A collection of tumbled stone walls crowned the grassy hill before them. The builders had clearly at least had the sense to import granite for building, as the stones used in the buildings were darker and looked more sturdier than anything it'd be possible to make from the local rocks (a brittle sandstone that crumbled at the lightest touch). That did not, however, change the fact that there were no actual buildings left. There didn't appear to even be anywhere to begin to search for artifacts.

I suppose the ruins in Thay are much more intact. Sometimes all you get is a wall... :cry:

A narrow path led up the side of the hill, and once they'd disposed of a few hobgoblins that were foolish enough to get in their way, they followed the path up to the ruins. Up close, they were even less impressive.

They are usually armed with poison in the game IIRC. Good thing those were not.

"...all for knowledge did we strive... nothing left..." the ghost said. "Hope would return with the retrieval of the simplest of tomes... beneath the rubble... on the lowest floors... return hope... history is so important..."

Don`t forget the traps and the slimes...

Edwin turned around, and found himself face to face with a dozen or so animated skeletons. He quickly raised a hand and fired a volley of magic missiles at one of them. It crumpled to the ground with a satisfying crunching sound, but the others advanced. He took Imoen's advice, and sprinted towards her and the elf. She was firing her own magic missiles at the skeletons, while Kivan used his war hammer to smash the ones that got too close. Several ghouls were now visible behind the skeletons. Edwin noted with some surprise that the moaning creatures swung their large fists at anything in their path, including the stones of the ruins.

That is really, really bad without a cleric.

He just doesn`t have any luck. :lol:

Imoen screamed and rolled sideways, dodging the wolf's first attack. It growled angrily and turned to charge her again. One of Kivan's arrows bounced harmlessly off the wolf's side. The elf cursed. Edwin Odesseiron, the greatest wizard of all time, acted.

I bet he narrates it just like that in his head. :lol:

Edwin is right you know!

Their very own little adventure ended well it seems.

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:30 PM

Oooh, purdy :D

Has to be at least as elegant (and trimmed with gold) as its owner, you know.

So, was this fast enough? :lol:

Isn't there always? :lol:

Pretty much, yes.

Astute Eddie :D I love how this is all described from his viewpoint.

It is his chapter, after all. It'd be unfair to the others if I let them take in their surroundings exactly the way Ember does when I let them sit in the pilot seat.

And I loved that description of her hair.

Edwin: What about it? Merely a phenomenon of wind and light, nothing else. I had forgotten about it already. (Hmpf.)

Because everyone else is thinking up explanations for things and you have to dismiss the ones that don't make sense for them :D

Edwin: One wonders how this group could ever function without me.

Uh, Eddie -- when Kivan said 'fall back', he didn't literally mean for you to fall... :D

Edwin: Oh be quiet, you insensitive buffoon! (Can't she see I am sorely wounded? And my robe is torn!)

A stunning dart to its buttocks, to halt its attack. Then, a fire arrow, setting its fur ablaze. Then magic missiles. Imoen, the clever girl, was pelting it with her own missiles even as she lay sideways on the floor. The creature was whimpering with pain by the time Kivan broke its neck with a swift hammer blow.

They make quite the group!

Oh yes.

Awwww! :D

Exactly the reaction I was aiming for :D

Poor Eddie.

Yes :roll:

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:03 PM

Huzzah for finding uses for skills usually only useful in baseball games! Or... something like that.

Well, I couldn't make him useful with slings after that tantrum. And I did want him to feel better about ranged weapons :D

Ooooh, purdy. :D

Edwin: It is no such thing! It is merely very vibrant and alive and flamelike.... (I need to stop talking. Now.)

Well, I s'pose he has a point... but some people don't pass up free stuff even for ghosts.

True. So the answer remains unknown.

:lol: :D :D So polite! Like a clerk asking if he can help you in a store.

Not quite the same tone of voice, though. I figured Kivan would have sympathy for a lost soul.

Don't worry, Eddie, I'll kiss it better!

Or... someone will, anyway. Eventually. Probably. :D

Maybe. Very eventually. Or something.

Must be nice to have infravision.

Sometimes, yes.

That was very not good, Immy.

Hey, there were shiny things nearby. She got excited.

Imoen: And you know Eddie would have been right behind me if he weren't afraid there'd be a triggered fireball or something waiting there!

*SPUTTERCHOKEDEATHBYADORABLENESS*

:lol:

Yeah, what about us, Eddie? Maybe you wanna make something of it? :D

Edwin: *glares, mutters quietly*

D'aww, protective Eddie. ;)

Just don't let him know that. You know he'll vehemently deny it.

Mmkay, I'm officially dead by Cute™.

Excellent :roll:

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

Harlequin: "You know, just because I act dumb doesn't mean I -am- dumb."

Raven: "Oh believe me, I'm totally aware of this. I stopped underestimating you the first time you managed to steal all my underwear and freeze it."

Frozen underwear? That is pure evil

Well... yeah... otherwise this would be boring. :lol:

Well, I have written boring chapters before, and probably will do so again...

Is this the end? he wondered.

Nope. We're not -that- lucky.

Raven: (Drops a hand to her sidearm) "You were saying?"

Edwin: Nothing. Nothing at all. (Deranged simians...)

There. Problem solved. Can we go home now? :lol:

No. You don't have a book for that yet.

#10 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:06 PM

Bravo, Imoen! And I believe that there is some sort of returning throwing weapon in game ).

Yeah, some kind of superdart from Watcher's Keep. Since I've never actually paid much attention to darts in a played game (I just stick slings on those that can't use bows), I don't know if I'll give him that when I get there. You never know, though :roll:

"Edwin Odesseiron never gives up!" he exclaimed, but she merely grinned at him and ran off to the far end of the ruins.

He has forgotten about sling already...

Maybe. But you'll never get him to admit he was ever upset about that in the first place, of course.

Elven sniper seems to be handy underground.

They are handy in many locations.

I have a feeling that it will be Imoen-Edwin romance, not Edwin-CHARNAME. :lol:

Gee, what could possibly have given you that idea? :lol:

It is kind of touching...

Yeah. I always enjoyed doing this quest, sending Ulcaster to teach history to not repeat itself...

Thanks for good chapter).

Thank you :D

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:13 PM

Only quality will suffice. Kind of funny though:

"Hold on, hold on! Stop the combat! I have splinters in my fingers!"

I suppose the ruins in Thay are much more intact. Sometimes all you get is a wall... :lol:

Edwin: Ruins in Thay are exquisite in every way!

They are usually armed with poison in the game IIRC. Good thing those were not.

IIRC, that particular bunch were, and Kivan bore the brunt of it. Then again, there were six in the party at the time and so on and so forth, so in the story, the hobgoblins get to die before they poison anyone too badly.

Don`t forget the traps and the slimes...

Actually, since I could navigate the maze to the treasure cache in my sleep, I tend to forget about the slimes, and about the traps that are off the main path (I usually remember them if I bring all six and someone decides to try some exotic pathing, though).

Several ghouls were now visible behind the skeletons. Edwin noted with some surprise that the moaning creatures swung their large fists at anything in their path, including the stones of the ruins.

That is really, really bad without a cleric.

Yes and no. In my game, I went here while Ember was still pure fighter (not that she'll ever turn undead) and it went okay. Magic missiles, fireballs and such things helped immensely, of course (one shot of MM will kill a skeleton outright at Edwin and Imoen's level)

He just doesn`t have any luck. :D

Edwin: The great Edwin Odesseiron doesn't need luck! (Wait.)

I bet he narrates it just like that in his head. :lol:

But of course.

Edwin is right you know!

Yes, he is. But, Immy got an idea in her head and just had to act on it.

Their very own little adventure ended well it seems.

Yes. Time to put them all together again, soon.

#12 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:08 AM

Wonder if a smithy is ever likely to have a staff with enchantment beneficial to a wizard. In Edwin’s place, I would still try a fellow wizard for that. :lol:

You can throw them at a dartboard, Eddie. It’s a game. You can also attach the picture of Zulkir Nevron’s head to the dartboard to make it more interesting. :D

Never really tried them, always seem to run out of them before I can conclude whether they are useful or not.

It’s a sort of a dungeon for beginners… much like Nashkel mines. To give the adventurers the taste of what’s to come. :D

Hmmm… :D

See Eddie, someone agrees with you. :roll:

Don’t worry, Eddie, notice the cyan circle around its feet? It’s not hostile!

Edwin, passing a tome of knowledge to some ghost? Pfft, think again. He’ll use it himself, naturally!

Silly wizards, fire your Area of Effect spells, now! :D

Ouch, it’s pretty easy to get killed this way!

"We are below the ruins," Kivan said. "The undead are waiting above, but they should depart by dawn. I do not think they can descend."

Can’t climb the stairs? :D

The three of them walked through a maze of crisscrossing hallways. Every now and then, Imoen stopped to disarm a trap, and every now and then, Kivan shot arrows into the darkness. His targets, whatever they were, died with loud whimpers.

I remember some of them being quite difficult to kill! :lol:

It was the largest wolf Edwin had ever seen.

Oooh, vampiric wolf! Those were great source of exp!

Imoen let go of him, and they sifted through the pile in the alcove. Although most of it was rubbish, they found numerous scrolls and potions, and even the occasional wand, making the trip more than worth their while.

Indeed, you can make a nice profit down there. ;)

Bah! A proper wizard does not part with knowledge that easily!

Well, I guess it saved them from fighting all those undead. :D

#13 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

Chapter 50: Ulcaster

Should be adequate for you, then. :D

Pretty. I'll have to try and make one for my PC in NWN2 when I've got time to play around a bit.

When you throw them at people they will say "Owww".

Unless they fail their save versus stun. :roll:

"Well?" she said.

Now remember, the pointy end goes towards your enemies.

After many insufferable miles across an uneven hill landscape (which made Edwin even more pleased to have a staff in his possession once again), the three of them reached the Ulcaster ruins in the late afternoon.

I do find a good walking stick useful myself, so I'm not surprised Edwin finds the going easier with a staff.

Apart from the undead there isn't much to attract attention above ground.

"Maybe there's more below the surface. Cellars, storage rooms, that kind of stuff," Imoen said.

She shoots. She scores.

I really like how they just brush off the hobgoblins as if they aren't of any importance - which by the time your characters are this level they aren't.

I've always thought the big room might be a refectory, with quarters to the back and a kitchen and storerooms round the edge. The teaching areas would be underground. But Edwin's theory is at least as good as mine.

No, of course you're not. :D

Where's a cleric to turn undead when you need one.

Mr. Nothing Bothers Me (except ogres named Tazok) speaks twice in a day. :lol:

Indeed, you were very clear in your opinion.

Better that they attack the walls than you.

No, the scroll bar is only about half way down the page at the momen, so it can't be the end.

Edwin looked around. In the dim glow of Imoen's magelight, he could make out dusty walls and some rubble. "Here?" he asked.

Probably some sort of ward around the area, to keep out undead and possibly outsiders.

"I see," Edwin said, thoughtfully rubbing the bump on his head. "(Any treasures must be down here.) We must explore this area while we wait."

"I knew you'd say that," Imoen said with a grin.

Well it's not as if you've any better to do.

That feels a slightly odd phrase, since surely at some point you'll pass the things Kivan shoots and be able to see them close to.

I've never seen a wolf trap work that way. :D

I find it really plausible the the GWOAT would refer to himself that way even in his thoughts.

A stunning dart to its buttocks, to halt its attack. Then, a flame arrow, setting its fur ablaze. Then magic missiles. Imoen (the clever girl) was pelting it with her own missiles even as she lay sideways on the floor. The creature was whimpering with pain by the time Kivan broke its neck with a swift hammer blow.

Huzzah!

An Edwin/Imoen romance would be new to me, and it almost seems like that's what you're leading up to.

"It was nothing. I am, after all, Edwin Odesseiron," he said. "(Now, about that treasure...)"

Plenty of good stuff in Ulcaster, if you can handle the Vampiric Wolf.

"Hey, I found a history book," Imoen said, holding up a dusty tome. "I wonder if that ghost would want it?"

"Who knows?" Kivan said.

Come on Edwin, you've got to give it to him if you want to leave.

Dangerous creatures, they are. You should always be wary of them. :lol:

Another good chapter. Back to Ember next time?

#14 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:44 PM

Wonder if a smithy is ever likely to have a staff with enchantment beneficial to a wizard. In Edwin’s place, I would still try a fellow wizard for that. :lol:

He did. All Thalantyr had was an ugly claw that he couldn't afford if he'd wanted it.

You can throw them at a dartboard, Eddie. It’s a game. You can also attach the picture of Zulkir Nevron’s head to the dartboard to make it more interesting. :D

Edwin: I find your suggestions intriguing and would like to learn more.

Never really tried them, always seem to run out of them before I can conclude whether they are useful or not.

I tend to just sell them to vendors, as I prefer things that can use the ammunition slots.

Hmmm… :D

What? :roll:

Don’t worry, Eddie, notice the cyan circle around its feet? It’s not hostile!

Smartass :D

Edwin, passing a tome of knowledge to some ghost? Pfft, think again. He’ll use it himself, naturally!

He'd already read a far newer edition of the History of the Darkness.

Silly wizards, fire your Area of Effect spells, now! :D

Where's the fun in that?

Ouch, it’s pretty easy to get killed this way!

Oh yes. Hence Imoen's worrying.

Can’t climb the stairs? :D

Wards of some sort, more likely. Otherwise Ulcaster could just drift down himself, right?

I remember some of them being quite difficult to kill! :lol:

Yes.

Bah! A proper wizard does not part with knowledge that easily!

'Proper' wizard? This is Imoen we're talking about.

Well, I guess it saved them from fighting all those undead. :D

He can't teach without a class, after all.

#15 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:55 PM

Pretty. I'll have to try and make one for my PC in NWN2 when I've got time to play around a bit.

NWN2 has weapon making?

When you throw them at people they will say "Owww".

Some might say 'ooof' or 'ouch' or '¤#&("#!!!' instead.

Now remember, the pointy end goes towards your enemies.

Edwin: I am fully aware of that! (Simian.)

I do find a good walking stick useful myself, so I'm not surprised Edwin finds the going easier with a staff.

My father used to carve walking sticks from rowan trees when we went to the woods. They didn't smell particularly nice while fresh, but they were oh so handy. And fun to have.

She shoots. She scores.

Imoen: :D

I really like how they just brush off the hobgoblins as if they aren't of any importance - which by the time your characters are this level they aren't.

Where's a cleric to turn undead when you need one.

There's one just standing around in Nashkel.

Mr. Nothing Bothers Me (except ogres named Tazok) speaks twice in a day. :D

Shocking, isn't it?

Better that they attack the walls than you.

They just haven't reached him yet.

No, the scroll bar is only about half way down the page at the momen, so it can't be the end.

How astute.

Probably some sort of ward around the area, to keep out undead and possibly outsiders.

Yes. I decided this earlier today while at work, when I saw Theodur ask about it :D

That feels a slightly odd phrase, since surely at some point you'll pass the things Kivan shoots and be able to see them close to.

Are you expecting Edwin to pay attention to nuisances the elf is taking care of?

I find it really plausible the the GWOAT would refer to himself that way even in his thoughts.

Is there anyone who wouldn't find that plausible?

An Edwin/Imoen romance would be new to me, and it almost seems like that's what you're leading up to.

Oh really?

What I am most certainly not leading up to is an Edwin/Ember romance. They have nothing in common, and are proof that opposites do not always attract. (They may actually have conversations in SoA, though :lol: )

"Who knows?" Kivan said.

Come on Edwin, you've got to give it to him if you want to leave.

You can easily just walk away in the daylight. Or in the night. But where's the fun (and exp) in that?

Dangerous creatures, they are. You should always be wary of them. :lol:

Another good chapter. Back to Ember next time?

Thank you. And yes, it's her turn next.

#16 Guest_Radish_*

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:43 PM

:roll:...Weren't you the one who was interested in how whoever-it-was (whoever was it anyway? I forgot) wrote an Imoen/Edwin romance before?

At any rate, I like how the image appears not to have any lasting effect on him. Just look back at the dias, Eddie. There's certainly no cause to be distracted by the brilliant, talented, beautiful young mage with hair like fire. Nope, none at all. :lol:

#17 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:36 AM

:roll:...Weren't you the one who was interested in how whoever-it-was (whoever was it anyway? I forgot) wrote an Imoen/Edwin romance before?

Yeah, wasn't I, after someone mentioned there being a brief one somewhere after I had my two little wizards dancing together? :lol:

At any rate, I like how the image appears not to have any lasting effect on him. Just look back at the dias, Eddie. There's certainly no cause to be distracted by the brilliant, talented, beautiful young mage with hair like fire. Nope, none at all. :lol:

Edwin: Of course not.

#18 Guest_sparrow_*

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:09 PM

"I saw them laying there, and remembered how good you were at throwing rocks.

Hehe, with or without his bracers of dexterity? :lol:

A collection of tumbled stone walls crowned the grassy hill before them. The builders had clearly at least had the sense to import granite for building, as the stones used in the buildings were darker and looked more sturdier than anything it'd be possible to make from the local rocks (a brittle sandstone that crumbled at the lightest touch). That did not, however, change the fact that there were no actual buildings left. There didn't appear to even be anywhere to begin to search for artifacts.

I like the description, especially the first sentence. :lol:

Aww, pretty. I had thought of that as a bit of an allusion towards her being a Bhaalspawn but then I read the comment above about a potential Edwin-Im, and I must say that is much more intriguing. :D

:D Adorable and especially Edwin.

"Who knows?" Kivan said.

:roll: Thanks for another enjoyable chapter.

#19 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

"I saw them laying there, and remembered how good you were at throwing rocks.

Hehe, with or without his bracers of dexterity? :lol:

With :shock:

A collection of tumbled stone walls crowned the grassy hill before them. The builders had clearly at least had the sense to import granite for building, as the stones used in the buildings were darker and looked more sturdier than anything it'd be possible to make from the local rocks (a brittle sandstone that crumbled at the lightest touch). That did not, however, change the fact that there were no actual buildings left. There didn't appear to even be anywhere to begin to search for artifacts.

I like the description, especially the first sentence. :D

Aww, pretty. I had thought of that as a bit of an allusion towards her being a Bhaalspawn but then I read the comment above about a potential Edwin-Im, and I must say that is much more intriguing. :D

Well, considering that it is entirely an observation in Edwin's head... :roll:

:cry: Adorable and especially Edwin.

Edwin: *preens*

:roll: Thanks for another enjoyable chapter.

#20 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:01 PM

NWN2 has weapon making?

It does. In game your character can make a variety of magical and non-magical things, provide they pick up the relevant abilities. You don't have much control over the way things look, unfortunately. The toolset is much more powerful and allows you to modify the appearance of things a lot. A quarterstaff like that should be quite easy, though I've got sidetracked into making hooded cloaks just for now. :roll:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com