Reclaiming (Maiyn) - Chapter 23

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:43 AM

The Pain of Loss

-----------------------

A-M-A-U-N-A-T-O-R. Maiyn carefully crossed the grid of letters that adorned the floor, spelling out the name of the god that was long forgotten by most, but whose presence in the temple still hung heavily in the air, and in the protective wards.

The others had travelled over ahead of her, leaving her as she lingered behind in the chamber they'd passed through. The spirit of a girl named Amuana had appeared after they'd placed the bones they'd found within a small coffin that had been guarded by two spirits. They'd spoken of their failure in protecting the child prophetess, and beseeched her to find compassion for their plight as Jaheira carefully covered the skeleton with the cloth that had existed in the temple for years, but never deteriorated in quality.

Then she'd arrived, an avatar of her form shimmering in the darkness of the chamber. She had taken her guardians with her, to sit alongside her in the Keep of the Eternal Sun, passing her heartfelt gratitude to the party for putting her spirit finally to rest. Before she left, she conjured a stone for them, which Maiyn gratefully accepted. It would protect them from the shadow dragon, and make them invisible to its senses as long as they made no move to provoke it.

The elf quietly wandered through an elaborate archway to find her companions battling fiercely with a bone golem. Minsc, Anomen, Jaheira and Mazzy were somehow avoiding its large, pointed claw-like hands, and only Anomen's sturdy mace was making much impact on it. Maiyn stood back with the others, watching them fight, and she smiled when it eventually fell to the ground.

"I am glad to see you taking an active role in our battles," remarked Jaheira dryly, as Maiyn drifted past, making her way forward to examine the small statue at the end of the room. Maiyn just flashed a charming smile, which caused the druid to roll her eyes, and head off with Minsc to check the only other room. The elf fished out some parchments and scrolls from the small bowl the statue was holding, studying them intently before passing them to Xan‘s eager hands. Then with a triumphant cry, she also held up a part of the symbol that they had been hunting for. Within minutes, Jaheira had returned with the third part, and they watched as the symbol magically melded itself together.

"It was worth all the pain, wasn't it?" asked Maiyn, her voice only just louder than a murmur. Her eyes were drifting over the circular symbol of Amaunator, taking in the fine details. Anomen winced slightly at the reminder of the flame strikes he'd endured while trying to work out the correct ritual that the Guardian Statue had expected of him to obtain the initial part of the disc. Only a few scribbled and torn pages had been located to provide any clues for him, but he’d taken the challenge to prevent his pride being dented, and puffed up gallantly at his eventual success. Maiyn grinned mischievously at him as she passed, and led the way back across the board to the main corridor leading around the various rooms and antechambers of the temple.

She placed the symbol into a niche on the final door, and it fit perfectly, causing it to shimmer and fade from existence, revealing steps leading further down into the darkness. The party huddled around them, waiting for someone to speak. Maiyn eventually shrugged and made her way down cautiously, the others following one by one. A short corridor led into a huge chapel, shining marble walls glinting in what little light was provided by their magical spells. The floor was tiled in a mosaic pattern underfoot, a mixture of greens and blues giving colour to the white and cream tones. Curled up in the centre was a large, fearsome creature; the shadow dragon was slightly smaller than Firkraag had been, but seemed much more imposing in its surroundings. It made no move at all when Maiyn walked slowly towards it, and she only stopped when Xan rushed to her side, and took her arm.

"The avatar was did not mention exactly what 'provoking' meant," he pointed out as he guided her in the direction of the other staircase. "Let us not risk an unnecessary battle because you happened to walk too close to it."

Maiyn rolled her eyes slightly, but gave the creature one last reluctant look before following Jaheira as she started on her way up to the ancient altar. Shadows clung to the walls, rushing to attack them as they made their way up the long flight; before long, Maiyn and Anomen were pushed to the front, encouraged to use their clerical blessings to stave off the undead.

Maiyn managed to get separated from Anomen as they ascended, turning the beasts as they went, and the creatures surrounded her, baying for her life force. She hastily swung out her hand, clenching the talisman of Fenmarel and trying to focus on its power at repelling them; but in her rush, she failed to notice how close the foe actually was.

Her hand swung into what would have been its face, landing a hefty punch, and the symbol glowed fiercely upon contact, burning at its existence. With a piercing shriek, the creature melted into nothing, and Maiyn's surprise caused her defences to be lowered long enough for the raking claws of another to rip down her leg. Within seconds, Anomen was back by her side, using his own symbol of Helm to eliminate the shadows. Maiyn weakly slumped down to a sitting position on the steps, her strength having been seriously sapped by the attack.

The others crowded around, waiting for her to recover. It took a short while, but eventually she felt her force returning and once again, she led the way with Anomen; the party found themselves emerging out into the darkness that surrounded the once holy altar of Amaunator. It was defiled beyond recognition, the once glorious statue of the god covered by a dark mass as it had been rendered to serve as a portal for shades to pass in from their own plane. Beside it stood a ghostly form, and as Mazzy's eyes met it, she cried out in horror.

"Well well," boomed another figure. Maiyn assumed it was the Shade Lord; it was larger than the others, and somehow it appeared to be darker. It also seemed to have the body of a woman -- the ranger, Merella, she assumed as it spoke on. "My miniature knight has escaped, and returned with more souls for us to feed upon. I welcome you all."

"Mazzy..." hissed the other form, drawing their attention once more. "You left us here... but it is no matter... come, join the delightful darkness..."

"Patrick..." whispered the halfling, looking forlornly at the shadow for a brief moment, before a steely glint appeared in her eye. She pulled herself back up to her full height and stuck out her jaw determinedly. "No, not Patrick," she corrected, "only his twisted spirit. My poor friend, what has he done to you?"

"He has... given us back... our existence," sibilated the wraith-like figure as several other shadows appeared by its side. "We're all here Mazzy... Join us! Embrace the master..."

A cackle erupted from the Shade Lord. "Excellent, my servant!" it exclaimed with glee. "Our lady knight shall join us in our darkness, and give the gift of flesh so that I may keep my hold on this mortal plane."

Mazzy spun around to glare at it, a fire shining in her eyes that caused Maiyn to draw back slightly in surprise when she noticed it. "Twisted fiend! Only death will stop me from avenging those noble souls that you have stolen!"

"Gently, lady knight," murmured the Lord. "You were to be my consort."

"I would never join with you," snapped Mazzy fiercely. "Every fibre in my being would resist!"

"So noble!" The figure laughed. "A night on this altar would have made you a worthy consort. Don't look so harshly upon me... You would be a most evil shade. The laws of chaos are subverted -- the noblest souls in life make for deliciously evil undead..."

"You will be fully dead when I finish with you," noted Mazzy coldly.

"You will be driven back to where you came from," agreed Anomen sternly. "This evil will not be allowed to continue its corruption!"

Maiyn watched the squire stand beside the knight; excepting the obvious height difference, they suddenly seemed so similar. She hadn't learnt much about Mazzy in their travels around the temple; save that the halfling was everything but an official paladin, and that was only prevented from achieving that status by her inability to be a human. She served her goddess, Arvoreen, with a ferocious loyalty that rivalled any Knight of the Order's faith, and there could be no doubting the righteous streak that she wore as proudly as most noblewomen would wear riches.

"You have defiled nature with your very presence in this forest." Now Jaheira was joining in, voicing her complaints against the treatment of nature. "You will be removed to allow the healing of the woods!"

"Your taint here shall end." Kivan was short, but to the point. Maiyn briefly considered adding her own words to the crescendo of opinions, but couldn't think of anything to say that hadn’t already been covered. Instead, she readied her bow, waiting for the inevitable battle.

"Is this how you will have it?" asked the Lord, sounding almost disappointed. "Regrettable... we could have ruled these weak fools together. Come my shades -- make short work of them and they shall join our army, if not our family!"

Then the shadows swarmed forward towards the group. Anomen's symbol appeared instantly, driving most back, and destroying a few outright as Helm's power flowed from the priest's channelling. Mazzy and Minsc leapt at the altar, battling the presence that enveloped it, hacking at its being to destroy the link it provided to the negative material plane. Jaheira had swiftly moved to fight the Shade Lord, her backup being provided by sure shots from Kivan and Maiyn.

Yoshimo drew his katana from its sheathe, much to the surprise of the others, and he ran to meet Patrick, preventing the figure from reaching Mazzy as the halfling concentrated on their enemy’s source of power. Xan busily directed an assortment of spells at the wraith, and as a result, it was the first to fall; a confident slash from the bounty hunter providing the final blow to end its existence.

Minsc and Mazzy eventually destroyed the altar, removing all trace of the shadowy structure that had surrounded the statue of Amaunator. The Shade Lord cried out in anger at their victory, fighting back viciously as they turned to aid Jaheira in bringing it down. As it fell, the shadows being repelled by Anomen faded away into nothing. The sky seemed to lighten; the trees lost their warped appearance and were seen to be merely old and gnarled.

At Jaheira's feet lay the body of a young woman, drawing her last few breaths.

"Freedom... from his domination... thank..." Her voice faded as Anomen knelt by her side. Maiyn raised an eyebrow, but the priest shook his head. There could be no resurrection for her body or soul. The ranger sighed, and looked over to Mazzy. The halfling was kneeling by the body of her beloved Patrick, a few tears silently falling down her cheeks. The others stood in a respectful silence as she mourned her loss, giving her the time she needed to compose herself before she stood back up and turned to face them.

"It is done," she said simply. "Though vengeance is empty. Patrick and my servants had to serve in death as slaves to the Shade Lord."

"They died with honour," replied Maiyn quietly. "What it did to them afterwards won't change that."

"Perhaps," nodded Mazzy slightly, sighing. "They were good people, who always fought for justice alongside me. I would that I could honour their restless souls... perhaps it would bring them some measure of peace."

"If I may," interjected Anomen suddenly, looking to Mazzy. "The god for that altar has long been dead, my lady. We could make it into a memorial for your fallen comrades, rather than leaving it as solely as a reminder of a faith from the past. Perhaps we could make an inscription to add to it, as a way of remembrance for their deeds."

Mazzy smiled to the squire and nodded. "That would be fitting," she agreed, looking at the sculpture. It had once been a beautiful work of art, but time and neglect had taken the sheen from it, and it looked forlorn and alone. "This altar was once a place of light," continued the halfling thoughtfully. "So it shall be again. Let us make this a memorial for my fine and noble friends."

The others nodded their agreement, and together they worked to clean the statue and work an inscription into the base. Maiyn scouted around the surrounding wood, finding a few flowers that she was able to uproot and replant at the base of the altar as a sign of new life. Mazzy looked at the final product with satisfaction, and cleared her throat as she searched for the right words to say.

"My lost companions -- may your souls rest in peace. I shall always carry your courage and honour with me. I shall strike down evil in your name! Know, noble heroes, my trusted friends, that you are not forgotten. May this altar always stand as a monument to your unselfish courage."

Maiyn joined Mazzy and Anomen as they knelt before it, offering their simple prayers to their gods in the memory of the fallen. She reached out to Fenmarel, feeling the familiar warm feeling as He heard the prayers of His cleric. She finished her communion, satisfied that Mazzy's friends would be welcomed into His forests if they should ever choose that path, and she turned to see both Jaheira and Kivan sitting on their own, each silently petitioning their own gods. The sight of the druid caused Maiyn little surprise, for she venerated nature and found it easy to reach out to Silvanus in rural settings. But Kivan rarely prayed to Shevarash in the presence of the group.

The sun was beginning to set as they finished their blessings on the sight, and so they moved a short distance away to set up camp, happy in the feeling that the scourge of shadows were cleared from area. Watches were organised, however, to prevent against any disturbance in the night, and as they sat around the campfire, the group listened to Mazzy’s recollections of her adventurers with her group, and of her fond memories of Patrick, the man she’d been betrothed to.

-----------------------

They returned to the village the following day, reporting to the minister on their discovery, and Mazzy filled him in on her own group's journey. He expressed his remorse over her losses, and thanked all of them heartily for their efforts. None saw fit to mention the dragon that lay deep within the bowels of the temple, and so it remained unsaid as the minister happily shared the news that he had spoken to Madulf. He had found him to be an amiable fellow, for an ogre and a tentative agreement had been reached regarding the creatures protection of the village, in exchange for their acceptance within its boundaries to trade for goods and supplies. Maiyn nodded at the news, glad that another positive had come from the episode, but Mazzy's distress over her loss was showing clearly in her countenance. It came as no surprise when she declined the offer to travel onwards with the group.

"I appreciate your kind offer," she said quietly to Maiyn as the group made their final preparations to travel back to Athkatla. They had dismissed the thought of spending another night in Imnesvale, Maiyn deciding instead that they would be best just to begin their journey, stopping to camp whenever they felt the need. "I have much to think about,” continued Mazzy softly, “and I feel I should return home to do such. A life on the road would, just now, would not benefit either me, or those travelling by my side."

Maiyn nodded. "Your help in defeating the Shade Lord was invaluable," she said sincerely. "You are capable, and brave. I feel for your loss."

Mazzy's gaze met the ranger's, and for a second there was an understanding between them. "It is hard," Mazzy said simply, looking away as her eyes filled with tears that would be unshed. “I did not expect this day to come so soon, nor for it to be in this manner.”

"Some say it gets easier," offered Maiyn. "I cannot say if they are right or wrong. Cherish the memories. Sometimes it cannot be undone, and we have no choice but to go on. Their memory can be honoured by future deeds. Sometimes… sometimes I think that is all that there is left.”

"We have not travelled for long, but I will remember you," smiled Mazzy. "With fortune, our paths will cross again on a brighter day."

Maiyn offered a small smile in return. "It would be a welcome reunion," she said before rummaging in her pocket. She withdrew the wardstone that Amuana had gifted them, and handed it to Mazzy. "We may not ever pass through these lands again," she explained quietly. "There is still an evil within there that may need dealt with, one day. It would be a loss for everyone of goodness if you were to give up on your adventures; with that in mind, I believe you should guard this stone, and perhaps be the one to find a use for it some day."

Mazzy stared at the stone for a while before nodding, and placing it into the pocket in her own tunic. "You are right, Maiyn" she said firmly. "I shall look after it well until it needs to be used. Fare thee well, both you and your companions. I wish you all the best for your journeys."

“And we wish the same upon thee,” replied Maiyn quietly.

And then they left, waving to the halfling as they marched from the town. Minsc had said goodbye to Delon, and was pleased to discover that he was to live with one of the farmers and his wife, and be brought up as their own son. The boy was sad to hear of their departure, but Minsc promised that they would visit again if they had the time, had to literally be dragged away by Yoshimo and Kivan before he agreed to leave. Maiyn soothed him as they travelled, reminding the berserker that Delon now had a family to get used to, and a home to call his own. This cheered up the human immensely, and it was a happy, though subdued group that made their way along the valleys that wound their way through Umar Hills, journeying slowly back towards the city, and closer to rescuing Imoen.

#2 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:37 PM

A-M-A-U-N-A-T-O-R. Maiyn carefully crossed the grid of letters that adorned the floor, spelling out the name of the god that was long forgotten by most, but whose presence in the temple still hung heavily in the air, and in the protective wards.

It's so very Indiana Jones!

Then she'd arrived, an avatar of her form shimmering in the darkness of the chamber. She had taken her guardians with her, to sit alongside her in the Keep of the Eternal Sun, passing her heartfelt gratitude to the party for putting her spirit finally to rest. Before she left, she conjured a stone for them, which Maiyn gratefully accepted. It would protect them from the shadow dragon, and make them invisible to its senses as long as they made no move to provoke it.

I love that sequence.

I don't love the pit of fire you have to walk through to get there, though.

The elf quietly wandered through an elaborate archway to find her companions battling fiercely with a bone golem. Minsc, Anomen, Jaheira and Mazzy were somehow avoiding its large, pointed claw-like hands, and only Anomen's sturdy mace was making much impact on it. Maiyn stood back with the others, watching them fight, and she smiled when it eventually fell to the ground.

Or the bone golem in said pit.

"It was worth all the pain, wasn't it?" asked Maiyn, her voice only just louder than a murmur. Her eyes were drifting over the circular symbol of Amaunator, taking in the fine details. Anomen winced slightly at the reminder of the flame strikes he'd endured while trying to work out the correct ritual that the Guardian Statue had expected of him to obtain the initial part of the disc.

Ouch!

"Mazzy..." hissed the other form, drawing their attention once more. "You left us here... but it is no matter... come, join the delightful darkness..."

"Patrick..." whispered the halfling, looking forlornly at the shadow for a brief moment, before a steely glint appeared in her eye. She pulled herself back up to her full height and stuck out her jaw determinedly. "No, not Patrick," she corrected, "only his twisted spirit. My poor friend, what has he done to you?"

That must be so horrible for her :)

The others nodded their agreement, and together they worked to clean the statue and work an inscription into the base. Maiyn scouted around the surrounding wood, finding a few flowers that she was able to uproot and replant at the base of the altar as a sign of new life. Mazzy looked at the final product with satisfaction, and cleared her throat as she searched for the right words to say.

"My lost companions -- may your souls rest in peace. I shall always carry your courage and honour with me. I shall strike down evil in your name! Know, noble heroes, my trusted friends, that you are not forgotten. May this altar always stand as a monument to your unselfish courage."

:lol:

And then they left, waving to the halfling as they marched from the town. Minsc had said goodbye to Delon, and was pleased to discover that he was to live with one of the farmers and his wife, and be brought up as their own son.

Not the mayor, then? That's a relief!

#3 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

It's so very Indiana Jones!

Yeah! :roll: She just needs a whip and a boulder trap ;)

I love that sequence.

*nods*

I don't love the pit of fire you have to walk through to get there, though.

Ah, no. I played the game, once, with the sound turned down and I wandered off to get something (a drink I think). When I came back, Jan was dead. I hadn't noticed he'd stopped on the lava bit rather than going through and into the room. Stupid gnome.

Or the bone golem in said pit.

It scared me witless the first time I saw it. Yes, I am that jumpy :)

"It was worth all the pain, wasn't it?" asked Maiyn, her voice only just louder than a murmur. Her eyes were drifting over the circular symbol of Amaunator, taking in the fine details. Anomen winced slightly at the reminder of the flame strikes he'd endured while trying to work out the correct ritual that the Guardian Statue had expected of him to obtain the initial part of the disc.

Ouch!

Anomen: Quite.
Maiyn: Ah, come on -- you enjoyed the chance to look good. Admit it.

That must be so horrible for her :D

Yeah :D I would imagine seeing a loved one die would be bad enough, but to then have them come back like that must be extra tough.

:lol:

:D

And then they left, waving to the halfling as they marched from the town. Minsc had said goodbye to Delon, and was pleased to discover that he was to live with one of the farmers and his wife, and be brought up as their own son.

Not the mayor, then? That's a relief!

I don't think Jaheira and Maiyn would have allowed it, and Minsc, especially, would have probably objected. Quite vocally :(

Thanks for reading and commenting! ;)

#4 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

And then they left, waving to the halfling as they marched from the town. Minsc had said goodbye to Delon, and was pleased to discover that he was to live with one of the farmers and his wife, and be brought up as their own son. The boy was sad to hear of their departure, but Minsc promised that they would visit again if they had the time, had to literally be dragged away by Yoshimo and Kivan before he agreed to leave. Maiyn soothed him as they travelled, reminding the berserker that Delon now had a family to get used to, and a home to call his own. This cheered up the human immensely, and it was a happy, though subdued group that made their way along the valleys that wound their way through Umar Hills, journeying slowly back towards the city, and closer to rescuing Imoen.

I always really liked the quest in the Umar Hills... it was so emotional. Great job keeping that sense to it! I feel sorry for Maiyn not getting a cabin for it, though. :lol: (Can you tell that the ranger stronghold was my favorite? Besides the thieves' guild, that is. :))

And yay for finding Delon a family!

#5 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:54 AM

I always really liked the quest in the Umar Hills... it was so emotional. Great job keeping that sense to it! I feel sorry for Maiyn not getting a cabin for it, though. :lol: (Can you tell that the ranger stronghold was my favorite? Besides the thieves' guild, that is. :D)

It's a fairly sad quest, considering little Amuana and Mazzy's old comrades :( I was going to have Maiyn getting the cabin, but another NPC developed sights on it, and she's too determined to get Imoen to be sticking around for long :)

And yay for finding Delon a family!

Yeah! And it wasn't even the horrible Minister! :D

Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

#6 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:05 PM

By the way, isn’t this actually Chapter 23, not 22? :(

I always liked that Indy Jones reference. :(

Wonder if the others would have appreciate some, oh, I don’t know, assistance? :lol:

"I am glad to see you taking an active role in our battles," remarked Jaheira dryly, as Maiyn drifted past, making her way forward to examine the small statue at the end of the room.

Aaaaargh! :roll: I think like Jaheira!

They used Ano as a lab rat? :D

"The avatar was did not mention exactly what 'provoking' meant," he pointed out as he guided her in the direction of the other staircase. "Let us not risk an unnecessary battle because you happened to walk too close to it."

Yes, let’s not fight it now… need more paladins. ;)

For this I do sympathize with her.

"So noble!" The figure laughed. "A night on this altar would have made you a worthy consort. Don't look so harshly upon me... You would be a most evil shade. The laws of chaos are subverted -- the noblest souls in life make for deliciously evil undead..."

He has a point… Aribeth made a pretty awesome Blackguard in NWN.

"You have defiled nature with your very presence in this forest." Now Jaheira was joining in, voicing her complaints against the treatment of nature. "You will be removed to allow the healing of the woods!"

I am sure you are right, dear, but… is this insult slinging absolutely necessary to do? Just kill it already. :cry:

"Your taint here shall end." Kivan was short, but to the point. Maiyn briefly considered adding her own words to the crescendo of opinions, but couldn't think of anything to say that hadn’t already been covered. Instead, she readied her bow, waiting for the inevitable battle.

Finally. :lol:

"Freedom... from his domination... thank..." Her voice faded as Anomen knelt by her side. Maiyn raised an eyebrow, but the priest shook his head. There could be no resurrection for her body or soul. The ranger sighed, and looked over to Mazzy. The halfling was kneeling by the body of her beloved Patrick, a few tears silently falling down her cheeks. The others stood in a respectful silence as she mourned her loss, giving her the time she needed to compose herself before she stood back up and turned to face them.

Poor Merella… always hated that plot death…

"If I may," interjected Anomen suddenly, looking to Mazzy. "The god for that altar has long been dead, my lady. We could make it into a memorial for your fallen comrades, rather than leaving it as solely as a reminder of a faith from the past. Perhaps we could make an inscription to add to it, as a way of remembrance for their deeds."

That too was a very nice gesture.

Maiyn joined Mazzy and Anomen as they knelt before it, offering their simple prayers to their gods in the memory of the fallen. She reached out to Fenmarel, feeling the familiar warm feeling as He heard the prayers of His cleric. She finished her communion, satisfied that Mazzy's friends would be welcomed into His forests if they should ever choose that path, and she turned to see both Jaheira and Kivan sitting on their own, each silently petitioning their own gods. The sight of the druid caused Maiyn little surprise, for she venerated nature and found it easy to reach out to Silvanus in rural settings. But Kivan rarely prayed to Shevarash in the presence of the group.

Yes, he should be ashamed for his choice of deity, really.

They returned to the village the following day, reporting to the minister on their discovery, and Mazzy filled him in on her own group's journey. He expressed his remorse over her losses, and thanked all of them heartily for their efforts. None saw fit to mention the dragon that lay deep within the bowels of the temple, and so it remained unsaid as the minister happily shared the news that he had spoken to Madulf.

No worries, I am sure they are bound to notice when the dragon starts eating the villagers. :lol:

He had found him to be an amiable fellow, for an ogre and a tentative agreement had been reached regarding the creatures protection of the village, in exchange for their acceptance within its boundaries to trade for goods and supplies. Maiyn nodded at the news, glad that another positive had come from the episode, but Mazzy's distress over her loss was showing clearly in her countenance. It came as no surprise when she declined the offer to travel onwards with the group.

Yours was a very likable Mazzy, but still – Cheer! ;)

Maiyn offered a small smile in return. "It would be a welcome reunion," she said before rummaging in her pocket. She withdrew the wardstone that Amuana had gifted them, and handed it to Mazzy. "We may not ever pass through these lands again," she explained quietly. "There is still an evil within there that may need dealt with, one day. It would be a loss for everyone of goodness if you were to give up on your adventures; with that in mind, I believe you should guard this stone, and perhaps be the one to find a use for it some day."

Yup, Mazzy has the dibs on this dragon. :)

I knew you would not be so cruel and leave Delon with the minister and his butch of a wife. :)

#7 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

[quote]By the way, isn’t this actually Chapter 23, not 22? ;)
[/quote]

Oh :) I never WAS good with numbers... :lol:

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
I always liked that Indy Jones reference. :)
[/quote]

It's great, isn't it? :)

[quote]
[quote]The elf quietly wandered through an elaborate archway to find her companions battling fiercely with a bone golem. Minsc, Anomen, Jaheira and Mazzy were somehow avoiding its large, pointed claw-like hands, and only Anomen's sturdy mace was making much impact on it. Maiyn stood back with the others, watching them fight, and she smiled when it eventually fell to the ground.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Wonder if the others would have appreciate some, oh, I don’t know, assistance? :lol:
[/quote]

Maiyn: Nah, they're doing just fiiiine :)

[quote]
[quote]"I am glad to see you taking an active role in our battles," remarked Jaheira dryly, as Maiyn drifted past, making her way forward to examine the small statue at the end of the room. [/quote]

[quote]
Aaaaargh! :cry: I think like Jaheira!
[/quote]

Jaheira: You could do worse. You could think like Maiyn.
Maiyn: Ye- Hey, wait!

[quote]
[quote]"It was worth all the pain, wasn't it?" asked Maiyn, her voice only just louder than a murmur. Her eyes were drifting over the circular symbol of Amaunator, taking in the fine details. Anomen winced slightly at the reminder of the flame strikes he'd endured while trying to work out the correct ritual that the Guardian Statue had expected of him to obtain the initial part of the disc. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
They used Ano as a lab rat? :D
[/quote]

Well, he had to have his uses, and as the most religious person there... :D

Anomen: Shame it was the *wrong* religion...

[quote]
[quote]"The avatar was did not mention exactly what 'provoking' meant," he pointed out as he guided her in the direction of the other staircase. "Let us not risk an unnecessary battle because you happened to walk too close to it."
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Yes, let’s not fight it now… need more paladins. :D
[/quote]

Xan: You took the words straight from my mouth...
Maiyn: Aww. Mazzy's an almost paladin, surely she'd do as a shield?
Mazzy: Er...

[quote]
[quote]"Patrick..." whispered the halfling, looking forlornly at the shadow for a brief moment, before a steely glint appeared in her eye. She pulled herself back up to her full height and stuck out her jaw determinedly. "No, not Patrick," she corrected, "only his twisted spirit. My poor friend, what has he done to you?"
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
For this I do sympathize with her.
[/quote]

Yeah :)

[quote]
[quote]"So noble!" The figure laughed. "A night on this altar would have made you a worthy consort. Don't look so harshly upon me... You would be a most evil shade. The laws of chaos are subverted -- the noblest souls in life make for deliciously evil undead..."[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
He has a point… Aribeth made a pretty awesome Blackguard in NWN.
[/quote]

I have never, ever played NWN. No, that's a lie -- I did a bit at the start (is it the training academy?) but didn't get into it, and then a friend told me there was a section where spiders would fall from the ceiling onto you. Since I can't even abide looking at the BG spiders, avoided it at all costs after that...

[quote]
[quote]"You have defiled nature with your very presence in this forest." Now Jaheira was joining in, voicing her complaints against the treatment of nature. "You will be removed to allow the healing of the woods!"
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
I am sure you are right, dear, but… is this insult slinging absolutely necessary to do? Just kill it already. :lol:
[/quote]

Yeah, it's like a line-up with everyone having a bit of a say -- I don't think they do this again, though, until maybe Irenicus (I can't remember if I let him give them a chance to speak or not). But Maiyn couldn't really add anything new to it, so she just lets everyone else shout their grievances :D

[quote]
[quote]"Your taint here shall end." Kivan was short, but to the point. Maiyn briefly considered adding her own words to the crescendo of opinions, but couldn't think of anything to say that hadn’t already been covered. Instead, she readied her bow, waiting for the inevitable battle.[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Finally. :)
[/quote]

Yeah, you could see Xan pulling out an armchair and having a seat for a while as he waited :)

[quote]
[quote]"Freedom... from his domination... thank..." Her voice faded as Anomen knelt by her side. Maiyn raised an eyebrow, but the priest shook his head. There could be no resurrection for her body or soul. The ranger sighed, and looked over to Mazzy. The halfling was kneeling by the body of her beloved Patrick, a few tears silently falling down her cheeks. The others stood in a respectful silence as she mourned her loss, giving her the time she needed to compose herself before she stood back up and turned to face them.[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Poor Merella… always hated that plot death…
[/quote]

Me too :) We were going to save her, but she didn't want to be, and a vertain other ranger also protested since it'd interfere with his setup later on.

[quote]
[quote]"If I may," interjected Anomen suddenly, looking to Mazzy. "The god for that altar has long been dead, my lady. We could make it into a memorial for your fallen comrades, rather than leaving it as solely as a reminder of a faith from the past. Perhaps we could make an inscription to add to it, as a way of remembrance for their deeds."
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
That too was a very nice gesture.
[/quote]

*nods*

[quote]
[quote]Maiyn joined Mazzy and Anomen as they knelt before it, offering their simple prayers to their gods in the memory of the fallen. She reached out to Fenmarel, feeling the familiar warm feeling as He heard the prayers of His cleric. She finished her communion, satisfied that Mazzy's friends would be welcomed into His forests if they should ever choose that path, and she turned to see both Jaheira and Kivan sitting on their own, each silently petitioning their own gods. The sight of the druid caused Maiyn little surprise, for she venerated nature and found it easy to reach out to Silvanus in rural settings. But Kivan rarely prayed to Shevarash in the presence of the group.[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Yes, he should be ashamed for his choice of deity, really.
[/quote]

Yep -- that's pretty much how Jaheira's always viewed him, but things are slowly changing for him, and they're in for a bit of a surprise later.

[quote]
[quote]They returned to the village the following day, reporting to the minister on their discovery, and Mazzy filled him in on her own group's journey. He expressed his remorse over her losses, and thanked all of them heartily for their efforts. None saw fit to mention the dragon that lay deep within the bowels of the temple, and so it remained unsaid as the minister happily shared the news that he had spoken to Madulf. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
No worries, I am sure they are bound to notice when the dragon starts eating the villagers. :(
[/quote]

As long as they eat the minister first :D

[quote]
[quote]He had found him to be an amiable fellow, for an ogre and a tentative agreement had been reached regarding the creatures protection of the village, in exchange for their acceptance within its boundaries to trade for goods and supplies. Maiyn nodded at the news, glad that another positive had come from the episode, but Mazzy's distress over her loss was showing clearly in her countenance. It came as no surprise when she declined the offer to travel onwards with the group.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Yours was a very likable Mazzy, but still – Cheer! :D
[/quote]

Hah -- she returns later, and she even meets another halfling! :roll:

[quote]
[quote]Maiyn offered a small smile in return. "It would be a welcome reunion," she said before rummaging in her pocket. She withdrew the wardstone that Amuana had gifted them, and handed it to Mazzy. "We may not ever pass through these lands again," she explained quietly. "There is still an evil within there that may need dealt with, one day. It would be a loss for everyone of goodness if you were to give up on your adventures; with that in mind, I believe you should guard this stone, and perhaps be the one to find a use for it some day."
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Yup, Mazzy has the dibs on this dragon. :(
[/quote]

Mazzy: Oh yes :D

[quote]
[quote]And then they left, waving to the halfling as they marched from the town. Minsc had said goodbye to Delon, and was pleased to discover that he was to live with one of the farmers and his wife, and be brought up as their own son. The boy was sad to hear of their departure, but Minsc promised that they would visit again if they had the time, had to literally be dragged away by Yoshimo and Kivan before he agreed to leave. Maiyn soothed him as they travelled, reminding the berserker that Delon now had a family to get used to, and a home to call his own. This cheered up the human immensely, and it was a happy, though subdued group that made their way along the valleys that wound their way through Umar Hills, journeying slowly back towards the city, and closer to rescuing Imoen.[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
I knew you would not be so cruel and leave Delon with the minister and his butch of a wife. :D[/quote]

No... that'd be extreme cruelty! ;)

Thanks for reading and commenting :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com