Beloved Child 15

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:32 PM

Well, here is another chapter. Please enjoy.

Beloved Child 15

“Will he live?” Naila asked franticly.

Yes, child, he will.” Jaheira answered.

Yoshimo coughed and opened his eyes. He immediately tried to sit up.

“No.” Jaheira said and pushed him down again. “Rest for a few minutes.”

“This is bad.” Viconia remarked. “We have used all our healing spells. If there is more sorcerers like that old man or even another efreeti, we will not survive.”

“I think we may have more problems.” Haer`Dalis pointed at the spreading fires. “Entropy sometimes feasts fast once it arrives.”

“By the horns of Silvanus! Nalia stay with Yoshimo and come after when you can. We have to get Gorder now.”

The druid stood up and headed for the stairway down followed by Haer`Dalis and Viconia.

The violent shaking of the ship had knocked loose the bolts that held Groders shackles in place. As a result the boy had tumbled down on the floor, one of his legs still suspended in the air. The artists stood nearby unsure of how to continue. Ganishukas daughter walked among the assassins and chanters that had been awoken from their trances and now many of them hefted weapons.

“We can’t bolt the shackles back; hold him up with your arms if you have to! The ritual must continue!” She shouted at the artists.

Groder floated in and out of consciousness, it felt like his body was on fire. He found he couldn’t move. He lolled his head to the side and saw an unfamiliar tattooed shoulder. Then he remembered it was his. His mind registered things slowly, he was on the floor and the shackles were broken. Groder realized that he had to get out of there before they could continue with their work but he couldn’t move. For the first time in a very long time he felt scared and hopelessness danced around in his mind. There had mostly been anger with Irenicus maybe because of the mages dispassionate clinical approach. But this Ganishuka… what was supposed to follow after the branding was almost worse then the pain he felt now and had felt during the inking.

“Get up!” A voice shouted in his mind. It wasn’t his, it was Bhaal. “Get up and kill! Kill and escape! You don’t want them to continue do you? You don’t want to end up a pleasure slave to some fat bastard across the seas do you!? So get on your feet and KILL! MURDER THEM!!!” The last was screamed and his voice joined in the screaming.

Groder sat up spasmodically and grabbed the nearest object, it was a long needle. He stabbed wildly at a person bending over him. A female tattoo artist fell to the floor with a needle in her brain. He got up and rolled the chains around his arms. Groder whipped wildly at those nearest, a few fell to the floor.

“YESSSSS…..” Bhaals voice was louder now.

A few of the chanters raised their weapons and began approaching.

“No!” Ganishukas daughter cried. “Your lives are forfeit if you harm the sacrifice! Master Gansihuka will show no mercy if you harm him!”

They all stopped dead in their tracks. Over a hundred people stood instantly still like statues. They all looked at the boy who was half jumping with a leg still shackled. He grabbed the last shackle and pulled. It came loose and Groder was free. Once he was, he collapsed down on the floor, too tired and hurt to continue.

“KILL THEM!!! KILL THEM ALL, THEY WON’T EVEN RESIST!”

He stood and began walking slowly. Bhaals essence forced the bleeding, hurt body to shuffle forward. It forced arms weakened by strain and pain to rise and fall on head after head, bringing the heavy chains down each time. The boy no longer had any conscious thought, the mind seeking escape from pain and memories both.

Jaheira shoved the door to the main hold open and was presented with a scene of pure madness. About a hundred men and women stood still staring forward. She could see that Groder was slowly making his way through them by killing those directly in his way. The boy was half naked, his bare torso and arms were covered in strange tattoos. He was bleeding, she could see that. The people didn’t move, again and again Groder raised the chains and brought them down yet they didn’t move. Then the boy finally collapsed on the floor.

“I think maybe we should fetch our Raven. He looks hurt.” Haer`Dalis said from her side. His voice was trembling but from what? She couldn’t tell.

“By Shar… what insanity is this?” The drow drew in a deep breath behind her. “Are they charmed?”

“No, they look coherent enough” Haer`Dalis answered and prodded a woman when she passed her. She waved irritably at his hand. “They are just crazy!” He shouted and laughed.

They charged through the throng towards Groder when a woman’s voice filled the hold.

“Stop them; do not let them take the sacrifice!”

As if a switch had been turned on the men and women leaped into action and soon surrounded the group. It was clear that most of them were no fighters but they threatened to overtake by sheer number. The three stood over Groders unconscious body, backs almost pressed together. Suddenly a lighting bolt ripped through the mass of bodies and many where thrown aside. Nalia and Yoshimo had appeared at the entrance. The Kara-Turan fired arrow after arrow and Nalia let lose more magical death upon the mass of cultists.

The floor was littered with the dead and there were yet more cultists advancing. Jaheira helped Viconia hoist Groder up and they began running, carrying the boy between them.
The group hurried up on deck followed by a baying, howling mass. Rain had begun falling but was doing little to douse the flames rending the masts and deck.

“Let’s take one of their boats!” Yoshimo shouted.

The group hurried over to one of the boats secured to the side of the ship. Jaheira and Viconia climbed into it carrying Groder. Once in they wrapped the still unconscious boy in Viconias cloak. They were followed by Nalia, Yoshimo and Haer`Dalis.

“We have to lower it.” Yoshimo said.

“No time!” Haer`Dalis cried and before anyone could stop him, he had cut the ropes.

The small boat dropped into the water with a heavy splash.

“Idiot!” Viconia yelled.

“Stop squabbling and row!” Jaheira commanded.

They were a good way from the dock. Jaheira estimated maybe half an hour by rowboat. Yoshimo and Haer`Dalis rowed with all their might to put distance between them and the dark ship.

“I think they will be too busy to follow us.” Nalia said looking at burning ship. “This wasn’t exactly what I had envisioned as adventure.” She continued and sank down in her seat. “Is Groder alright?”

The drow and druid looked up from their examination.

“He is badly injured and I think these magical tattoos are doing damage as well.” Viconia said.

“His pulse is weak; we need to get to a temple quickly.” Jaheira filled in.

“There is a temple of Oghma in the docks. We can go there.” Yoshimo panted.

It was nights like these that Loremaster Carlo was rather pleased with his warm office. The rain was beating down on the windows and he could sit and enjoy a good book. As he glanced out the window something caught his eye. Far in the distance there was a light. He couldn’t make it out in the rain but he was pleased too see that the large black ship that had been obstructing his view for the past weeks were gone. He sighed contentedly and sunk deeper in his comfortable chair. He was just about to turn another page of “Blue Raven: Barbarian queen of the frozen north” when his office door opened. A blond young woman stuck her head in. Carlo put the book face down, no need for a young acolyte to see the cover.

“Yes, acolyte Nina?” He queried.

“Well, sir…” She began. Carlo knew she was a timid girl, very well suited for a reader.

Then she was violently pushed into his room and two other women stormed in. He managed to catch that they were angry, wet and one was a drow before that one had begun screaming in his face.

He held up his hands.

“What can I do for you ladies?” He began but the half-elf cut him off.

“We have a badly injured boy with us and we need your help!” She told him, Carlo reflected briefly that the Drow and half-elf made an odd pairing.

“Of course, Ehh… lead the way.”

Carlo followed them down to the temples entrance. On the benches sat a young redheaded human woman and between a Kara-Turan and what may have been a tall elf hung a grisly sight. The boy was unconscious, bled from several wounds and others places were there were no wounds. The tattoos that covered his torso and arms looked fresh and Carlo could feel the magic emanating from them, it wasn’t much of the positive kind.

“By the gods, what happened to him…?” Carlo was at a loss for words.

“We will explain but if you would be so kind as to help.” The Kara-Turan spoke fast, his voice strained. Carlo reflected that he looked rather unhealthy as well. The man seemed to have guessed Carlos thoughts for he said:

“I am fine; I just had a blade in my lungs a little while ago. I must rest.”

He offered a sincere apologetic smile.

“We all have to rest.” The half-elf said behind Carlo.

“Of course… You can use the acolyte’s quarters. They are nearly empty.”

Two more priests had appeared and Carlo instructed them to take the boy to a room and begin examining him. Carlo followed the adventurers to the acolyte’s quarters and saw them crash into the beds with clothes and everything. He made a mental note not to have them disturbed. Carlo climbed the stairs and entered the room usually reserved for priests and visitors from other cities. It was plain like most of the temple. It held a desk, a few book shelves and a bed. He walked over to the priests bent over the boy.

“Well?” He asked

One of them turned her head towards him.

“I don’t really know what to make of it. The tattoos are magic and I’m guessing the ink as well. The wounds have been caused during the inking itself.”

“What about the bleeding from places where there are no wounds?” Carlo asked

“The tattoos aren’t complete.” The second priest said. “I think they were meant to cause pain but stop when it was completed. However as the tattoos are not finished they continue to cause injury.”

“Do we have any literature on anything like this?” The first priest asked.

“There is one book that deals with magical tattoos but it is about tattoos from other planes.” Carlo said having committed the subject of every book they had at the temple to memory

“Well, until we have looked it up the only thing we can do for now is to ease the pain.”

Carlo nodded.

“I will inform the adventurers that brought him when they awake. I daresay they all had a rather harrowing experience.”

Carlo returned to his study and looked out the window once more. The light was still there. He wondered if it was connected somehow, he never liked the feeling he had gotten whenever he had laid eyes on that dark ship. He walked over to the shelves and ran his finger across the backs of many books until he found the one he was looking for. He took out “The magical carving and ink” by an anonymous author. Carlo had never cared for the title. He sat down in his chair and shot Blue Raven a look.

“Not tonight, I am afraid.”

#2 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:44 PM

Now that is a dramatic rescue!

I look forward to seeing what you'll do with those tattoos...

#3 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

Now that is a dramatic rescue!

Thank you.

I look forward to seeing what you'll do with those tattoos...

I hope they will do something in the end. :D

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:55 PM

“This is bad.” Viconia remarked. “We have used all our healing spells. If there is more sorcerers like that old man or even another efreeti, we will not survive.”

Well, then it’s just your luck that there aren’t any more like him!

“I think we may have more problems.” Haer`Dalis pointed at the spreading fires. “Entropy sometimes feasts fast once it arrives.”

It’s called bloody “fire”, Haer. Not entropy. :cry:

“Get up!” A voice shouted in his mind. It wasn’t his, it was Bhaal. “Get up and kill! Kill and escape! You don’t want them to continue do you? You don’t want to end up a pleasure slave to some fat bastard across the seas do you!? So get on your feet and KILL! MURDER THEM!!!” The last was screamed and his voice joined in the screaming.

You tell him Bhaal!

What am I saying? :shock:

Groder sat up spasmodically and grabbed the nearest object, it was a long needle. He stabbed wildly at a person bending over him. A female tattoo artist fell to the floor with a needle in her brain. He got up and rolled the chains around his arms. Groder whipped wildly at those nearest, a few fell to the floor.

Oh. Needle in brain… that’s cute.

He stood and began walking slowly. Bhaals essence forced the bleeding, hurt body to shuffle forward. It forced arms weakened by strain and pain to rise and fall on head after head, bringing the heavy chains down each time. The boy no longer had any conscious thought, the mind seeking escape from pain and memories both.

That’s scary…

“No, they look coherent enough” Haer`Dalis answered and prodded a woman when she passed her. She waved irritably at his hand. “They are just crazy!” He shouted and laughed.

Glad that you can find something amusing about the situation, Haer…

As if a switch had been turned on the men and women leaped into action and soon surrounded the group. It was clear that most of them were no fighters but they threatened to overtake by sheer number. The three stood over Groders unconscious body, backs almost pressed together. Suddenly a lighting bolt ripped through the mass of bodies and many where thrown aside. Nalia and Yoshimo had appeared at the entrance. The Kara-Turan fired arrow after arrow and Nalia let lose more magical death upon the mass of cultists.

That’s some body count you have here… yikes.

“We have to lower it.” Yoshimo said.

“No time!” Haer`Dalis cried and before anyone could stop him, he had cut the ropes.

? ? ? :oops: Is he trying to get them all killed?

“He is badly injured and I think these magical tattoos are doing damage as well.” Viconia said.

Hmm… wonder if they can counter that.

Maybe Ganishuka can use those tattoos to track Groder down again. Nice thought, that.

It was nights like these that Loremaster Carlo was rather pleased with his warm office. The rain was beating down on the windows and he could sit and enjoy a good book. As he glanced out the window something caught his eye. Far in the distance there was a light. He couldn’t make it out in the rain but he was pleased too see that the large black ship that had been obstructing his view for the past weeks were gone. He sighed contentedly and sunk deeper in his comfortable chair. He was just about to turn another page of “Blue Raven: Barbarian queen of the frozen north” when his office door opened. A blond young woman stuck her head in. Carlo put the book face down, no need for a young acolyte to see the cover.

I think it could have been worse. :lol:

“We have a badly injured boy with us and we need your help!” She told him, Carlo reflected briefly that the Drow and half-elf made an odd pairing.

Yes… especially when they agree on something! :lol:

Still, you get off lightly Yoshi, compared to the needle in the brain. :lol:

“The tattoos aren’t complete.” The second priest said. “I think they were meant to cause pain but stop when it was completed. However as the tattoos are not finished they continue to cause injury.”

Oh, that is very nasty!

Carlo returned to his study and looked out the window once more. The light was still there. He wondered if it was connected somehow, he never liked the feeling he had gotten whenever he had laid eyes on that dark ship. He walked over to the shelves and ran his finger across the backs of many books until he found the one he was looking for. He took out “The magical carving and ink” by an anonymous author. Carlo had never cared for the title. He sat down in his chair and shot Blue Raven a look.

I’m sure that Blue Raven will be able to wait for you until next evening, Carlo.

#5 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:40 PM

[quote][quote]“This is bad.” Viconia remarked. “We have used all our healing spells. If there is more sorcerers like that old man or even another efreeti, we will not survive.” [/quote]

Well, then it’s just your luck that there aren’t any more like him!
[/quote]

That is really convenient isn’t it :lol:

[quote]
[quote]“I think we may have more problems.” Haer`Dalis pointed at the spreading fires. “Entropy sometimes feasts fast once it arrives.”
[/quote]

It’s called bloody “fire”, Haer. Not entropy. :cry:
[/quote]

Haer`Dalis: Oh hush... It is the same thing.

[quote]
[quote]“Get up!” A voice shouted in his mind. It wasn’t his, it was Bhaal. “Get up and kill! Kill and escape! You don’t want them to continue do you? You don’t want to end up a pleasure slave to some fat bastard across the seas do you!? So get on your feet and KILL! MURDER THEM!!!” The last was screamed and his voice joined in the screaming.[/quote]

You tell him Bhaal!

What am I saying? :shock:
[/quote]

You may be sick. Towards yon hospital! :lol:

[quote]
[quote]Groder sat up spasmodically and grabbed the nearest object, it was a long needle. He stabbed wildly at a person bending over him. A female tattoo artist fell to the floor with a needle in her brain. He got up and rolled the chains around his arms. Groder whipped wildly at those nearest, a few fell to the floor. [/quote]

Oh. Needle in brain… that’s cute.
[/quote]

Ehh... Alright...

[quote]
[quote]He stood and began walking slowly. Bhaals essence forced the bleeding, hurt body to shuffle forward. It forced arms weakened by strain and pain to rise and fall on head after head, bringing the heavy chains down each time. The boy no longer had any conscious thought, the mind seeking escape from pain and memories both.
[/quote]

That’s scary…
[/quote]

Why, thank you.

[quote]
[quote]“No, they look coherent enough” Haer`Dalis answered and prodded a woman when she passed her. She waved irritably at his hand. “They are just crazy!” He shouted and laughed.
[/quote]

Glad that you can find something amusing about the situation, Haer…
[/quote]

He may be a bit addled in the brain box.

[quote]
[quote]As if a switch had been turned on the men and women leaped into action and soon surrounded the group. It was clear that most of them were no fighters but they threatened to overtake by sheer number. The three stood over Groders unconscious body, backs almost pressed together. Suddenly a lighting bolt ripped through the mass of bodies and many where thrown aside. Nalia and Yoshimo had appeared at the entrance. The Kara-Turan fired arrow after arrow and Nalia let lose more magical death upon the mass of cultists.[/quote]

That’s some body count you have here… yikes.
[/quote]

Enclosed space + mass of bodies + bouncing lighting. I figured it would take out alot of people. I may have gone overboard.

[quote]
[quote]“We have to lower it.” Yoshimo said.

[quote]“No time!” Haer`Dalis cried and before anyone could stop him, he had cut the ropes.
[/quote]

? ? ? :oops: Is he trying to get them all killed?
[/quote]

Well, Viconia told him off afterwards.

[quote]
[quote]“He is badly injured and I think these magical tattoos are doing damage as well.” Viconia said. [/quote]

Hmm… wonder if they can counter that.

Maybe Ganishuka can use those tattoos to track Groder down again. Nice thought, that.
[/quote]

Unless senility sets in I do hope he can find his own magic.

[quote]
[quote]It was nights like these that Loremaster Carlo was rather pleased with his warm office. The rain was beating down on the windows and he could sit and enjoy a good book. As he glanced out the window something caught his eye. Far in the distance there was a light. He couldn’t make it out in the rain but he was pleased too see that the large black ship that had been obstructing his view for the past weeks were gone. He sighed contentedly and sunk deeper in his comfortable chair. He was just about to turn another page of “Blue Raven: Barbarian queen of the frozen north” when his office door opened. A blond young woman stuck her head in. Carlo put the book face down, no need for a young acolyte to see the cover.
[/quote]

I think it could have been worse. :lol:
[/quote]

He has to keep up apperances you know. :lol:

[quote]
[quote]“We have a badly injured boy with us and we need your help!” She told him, Carlo reflected briefly that the Drow and half-elf made an odd pairing.
[/quote]

Yes… especially when they agree on something! :lol:
[/quote]

Oh yes, a nightmarish tag team.

[quote]
[quote]“I am fine; I just had a blade in my lungs a little while ago. I must rest.”
[/quote]

Still, you get off lightly Yoshi, compared to the needle in the brain. :lol:
[/quote]

It isn`t only the blade of course...

[quote]
[quote]“The tattoos aren’t complete.” The second priest said. “I think they were meant to cause pain but stop when it was completed. However as the tattoos are not finished they continue to cause injury.”
[/quote]

Oh, that is very nasty!
[/quote]

That it is.

[quote]
[quote]Carlo returned to his study and looked out the window once more. The light was still there. He wondered if it was connected somehow, he never liked the feeling he had gotten whenever he had laid eyes on that dark ship. He walked over to the shelves and ran his finger across the backs of many books until he found the one he was looking for. He took out “The magical carving and ink” by an anonymous author. Carlo had never cared for the title. He sat down in his chair and shot Blue Raven a look.

“Not tonight, I am afraid.”[/quote]

I’m sure that Blue Raven will be able to wait for you until next evening, Carlo.[/quote]

Oh yes, he does have an entire series to go through tough. The pictures are really fetching as well. :lol:

#6 Guest_sparrow_*

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:44 AM

I just really liked that phrase...and I like your HD. :D

“No!” Ganishukas daughter cried. “Your lives are forfeit if you harm the sacrifice! Master Gansihuka will show no mercy if you harm him!”

They all stopped dead in their tracks. Over a hundred people stood instantly still like statues. They all looked at the boy who was half jumping with a leg still shackled. He grabbed the last shackle and pulled. It came loose and Groder was free. Once he was, he collapsed down on the floor, too tired and hurt to continue.

Very powerful and creepy scene you got there! :D

“I think maybe we should fetch our Raven. He looks hurt.” Haer`Dalis said from her side. His voice was trembling but from what? She couldn’t tell.

“By Shar… what insanity is this?” The drow drew in a deep breath behind her. “Are they charmed?”

Perhaps being a tiny bit hypocritical there, he isn't exactly the poster boy for sanity himself. :( Nice characterisation, it seems like a very HD thing to do. I wonder what further role he will play too.

Go Nalia! And the bodies pile up...

“Idiot!” Viconia yelled.

Hehe, the wonderfully impulsive and consequences be damned attitude of the CN alignment...

He was just about to turn another page of “Blue Raven: Barbarian queen of the frozen north” when his office door opened. A blond young woman stuck her head in. Carlo put the book face down, no need for a young acolyte to see the cover.

:) Cute!

“We will explain but if you would be so kind as to help.” The Kara-Turan spoke fast, his voice strained. Carlo reflected that he looked rather unhealthy as well. The man seemed to have guessed Carlos thoughts for he said:

Neat idea to link Yoshimo and Groder's states...?

:lol: Clever, but grisly. :D

He took out “The magical carving and ink” by an anonymous author. Carlo had never cared for the title. He sat down in his chair and shot Blue Raven a look.

:roll: Thanks for the chapter and looking forward to more as usual.

#7 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:24 PM

I just really liked that phrase...and I like your HD. :D

Thank you.

Very powerful and creepy scene you got there! ;)

Again, thank you.

Perhaps being a tiny bit hypocritical there, he isn't exactly the poster boy for sanity himself. :( Nice characterisation, it seems like a very HD thing to do. I wonder what further role he will play too.

Well, it is Haer`Dalis. :D

He will be tagging along for now.

Go Nalia! And the bodies pile up...

Yep, I may have gone overboard with the body count though.

“Idiot!” Viconia yelled.

Hehe, the wonderfully impulsive and consequences be damned attitude of the CN alignment...

Oh yes, he is just lucky the boat didn`t break or something.

He was just about to turn another page of “Blue Raven: Barbarian queen of the frozen north” when his office door opened. A blond young woman stuck her head in. Carlo put the book face down, no need for a young acolyte to see the cover.

:) Cute!

:D

Neat idea to link Yoshimo and Groder's states...?

It is the geas working.

:lol: Clever, but grisly. :roll:

Ganishuka is a grisly old man.

He took out “The magical carving and ink” by an anonymous author. Carlo had never cared for the title. He sat down in his chair and shot Blue Raven a look.

;) Thanks for the chapter and looking forward to more as usual.

Thank you for commenting and there will be more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com