Ember's Tale 49: Words

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:06 PM

Chapter 49: Words

Imoen, Edwin and Kivan made it halfway to Beregost by nightfall, and set up camp at the base of a low, sandy cliff. It'd been a quiet day; Kivan had talked as much as usual, and Edwin had barely even mumbled to himself. He hadn't even responded properly when Imoen started talking about all the useful things she could do with divination spells.

Just as Imoen was dozing off, she heard a strange noise. It sounded a bit like the plink a small rock made if it fell on a larger. A short while later, she heard it again. It's not from the cliff, is it?

"Kivan, do you hear that?" she whispered nervously.

"Aye," the elf replied, sounding too calm for an emergency.

"What is it?" Imoen asked.

"The wizard," Kivan said.

"What is Eddie up to now?" Imoen muttered, mostly to herself.

"Go see for yourself," Kivan replied.

Imoen got out of her bedroll, pulled on her boots, and followed the noise. Soon, she saw a glint of magelight between two skinny trees, and soon after that she saw Edwin. He sat on a dry slope that was covered with pebbles, and a magelight hovered over his head. He was picking up small stones from the ground and flinging them at a boulder some ten feet away. The stones made the little plinks as they hit the larger rock.

"Heya, it's me," Imoen said quietly.

Edwin turned and looked at her. It was too dark to make out his face properly, but she was sure he was glaring at her.

"Um, whatcha doing?" she asked.

"What does it look like?" Edwin asked. "(Not a moment of peace...)"

"It looks and sounds like you're throwing pebbles at a rock," Imoen said.

"How perceptive."

"Why are you doing that?"

"Why must you always ask me such inane questions? (Besides, it's none of her business!)"

"Because you're not holding up your end of the bargain, silly!"

"(What?) What bargain?"

"The deal was that I take you with me to Beregost, and you keep me company. But so far, you've been as quiet as Kivan, and now you're keeping me awake with those rocks!"

Edwin picked up another rock and threw it. It hit the boulder dead center.

"Nice hit," Imoen said.

"One cannot become the world's greatest spellcaster without good aim," Edwin said sourly. "(And my aim is good!)"

Oh. So that's what this is about. "I'm sorry about yesterday," Imoen said.

"Why? Was it not amusing to watch the great Edwin Odesseiron humiliate himself with a child's toy?"

Imoen frowned. Why does he have to be so touchy about his shortcomings? "Alora tried to show me how to use a sling yesterday too, you know," Imoen said.

"And?"

"The only bullet I managed to throw at all went backwards."

Edwin was quiet for a while. "Your friend had no such problems," he eventually said.

"You never saw her with a bow, though. She can use one, but she doesn't like having to stand still and aim - I think it makes her nervous. She threw her bow away before we even reached Nashkel."

"She is very good at discarding weapons on a whim," Edwin said.

"I'm sorry about the staff, too," Imoen said. "I didn't think you'd miss it; you never use it, after all."

Edwin lobbed another stone at the boulder. "Yes, I did."

"When?" Imoen asked.

"In the mountains. In the mines. In the bandit camp. While I am not foolish enough to try to bludgeon anyone to death with brute strength (especially when I can obliterate them with a thought instead) I do know the value of being able to shove an enemy out of my way with a long, pointy stick. (I shouldn't even have to tell her this!)"

"Oh. I didn't realise."

"I also used it as walking support in this rough terrain your friends seem intent upon dragging us through. (And she forgets that there are few things more stylish than a wizard with a staff.)"

"I should have asked you more nicely if she could have it back," Imoen said unhappily.

"Yes, you should have," Edwin said, but he didn't really sound angry anymore. "(She can still be so foolish at times...)"

"We can get you a new staff in Beregost, perhaps?" Imoen suggested.

"Perhaps. (They'll probably only have sticks that would be better used as kindling.)"

"And we can definitely get you some new spells. Do you remember that monster summoning scroll Thalantyr had? We can afford it now!"

"I remember," Edwin said, sounding a bit enthusiastic all of a sudden. "Yes, we should be able to afford it and everything else we require with careful managment of our finances."

"That shouldn't be a problem, if we're properly rested," Imoen said.

"My powerful mind is perfectly capable of money management at any hour, day or night!"

Imoen grinned. "Of course it is. Good night, Eddie," she said, and headed back to camp.

"Don't call me that," Edwin said distractedly. He threw another stone at the boulder, extinguished the magelight, and followed Imoen.

---

Imoen skipped happily down the front steps of High Hedge, closely followed by Edwin. He was mumbling something about undignified ways to leave a mage tower. Kivan waited for them at the bottom of the steps; he'd not been interested in visiting Thalantyr, and had waited outside instead.

"Did you get everything you wanted?" Kivan asked.

"Yep!" Imoen exclaimed cheerfully. "Thalantyr was busy with some kind of flesh golem research, so he had Melicamp help us instead. You remember him, right?"

"Aye," Kivan said.

"Anyway, he was still grateful that we'd rescued him from chickenhood, so we got some pretty nice discounts!" Imoen said with a grin.

"You forget that he was far from immune to the way you smiled at him," Edwin remarked. "(Unlike others I could mention. Yes, very immune.)"

"Well, he wasn't supposed to be immune, was he?" Imoen said, and pulled a thick bundle of spell scrolls out of her bag. "Look at how many we got, Kivan! And they're all good ones, too; some of them I can't even memorize yet!"

"We also have quite a bit of coin left over," Edwin said.

"Good," Kivan said. "We'll be able to get more supplies at the smithy tomorrow."

"Yes, yes, but let us get back to town now. I want to scribe these in peace and quiet as soon as possible," Edwin said.

It was already early in the evening when the three of them left High Hedge, but Kivan knew the quickest possible path to Beregost, and they made it to the town by nightfall. They headed straight for the Jovial Juggler; there was a slight chill in the air, and Imoen was more than happy to get inside. Kivan set off to arrange for their rooms, while Imoen and Edwin claimed the largest available table in the common room.

"Do you remember the last time we were here?" Imoen asked as they quickly buried the tabletop under a thick layer of scrolls.

"(Of course I do.) What about it?" Edwin asked.

"I just remembered the fiddler that was here that night. Wasn't he a terrific player?"

"(Oh.) I suppose he was. Now, where is that summoning scroll?"

"Right here," Imoen said, and handed the scroll to Edwin. "I wonder who'll be playing tonight?"

"It is of no consequence as long as they do not disturb our important work," Edwin said. "(Dancing is for common peons, not for the intellectual elite. We have better things to do than that. Yes, that's it.)"

While Edwin buried his nose in the complex scrolls, muttering every now and then, Imoen looked around the room. A lot of people were there, and many of them were talking loudly. She decided to try to listen in on some of the conversations going around her.

People seemed happier than last time, she noticed. As far as she could tell, they'd just gotten fresh iron supplies, and Taerom and his assistants were very busy turning it into new swords and knives and ploughs. We caused that, she thought happily. She grinned when someone behind her raised his glass to the adventurers who'd cleared the Nashkel mines.

Another topic she noticed was that of the bandits. No caravans had been attacked in the past three weeks, she heard some merchants say. They were loudly arguing about whether that meant it was safer, or whether it was just because not many caravans set out in the first place.

"It will be a cold day in the lower planes before I risk my neck in the ruin o' Ulcaster!" someone said behind Imoen. "Who knows what lurks around in those tight passages?"

"Simple logic says there must be magic treasure in the ruins of a magician's school such as Ulcaster, but 'tis a treacherous task to get to it. Dead wizards are not known to sleep soundly, nor to wake jovial," someone else replied.

"Hey, did you hear that?" Imoen whispered to Edwin, pulling his sleeve to get his attention.

"Hear what?" Edwin asked without looking up from his scrolls.

Imoen turned around. Two richly dressed men, merchants or maybe even nobles, were just sitting down at the table behind theirs. "Excuse me, but what is that Ulcaster place you mentioned?" she asked with her sweetest smile.

"You have not heard of the Ulcaster school of magic?" one of the men, a stout fellow with a puffy green hat, replied.

"It was a storehouse of knowledge; the pride of the area," the other man added. He was tall and thin and had a lot of purple ribbons on his tunic.

"A school of magic, you say?" Edwin asked.

"Aye. Its ruins are but a days' march east of here," Puffy Hat said.

"Rumor tells of a magical gate in the bottom o' the school ruins, but no-one knows where it leads," Purple Ribbons added nervously. "Anywhere is better than that accursed place, if ye ask me!"

"What can be so bad about it?" Imoen asked.

"Haunted, it is!" Purple Ribbons exclaimed.

"It was destroyed some three hundred years hence. I've not met a soul who claims to know why it occurred; none that were there are alive to say, and them that haunt the place... cannot tell," Puffy Hat said.

"Being dead longer than you were alive must tend to addle the mind," Purple Ribbons whispered.

"I see," Imoen said. "Thank you for telling us this; we might have gone there completely unaware!"

"Oh heavens, that would be disastrous!" Puffy Hat exclaimed, wiping his brow with his hat. "Come, my friend, I need some fresh air," he told his companion. The two of them bowed deeply and left the table.

"I think we should visit the school, aware," Imoen said, and winked at Edwin.

"Oh, absolutely," Edwin said. "(The girl has a brilliant mind, when she chooses to use it!)"

He very nearly smiled.

#2 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:38 PM

"One cannot become the world's greatest spellcaster without good aim," Edwin said sourly. "(And my aim is good!)"

Raven: "Well, he can hit just about anything, this much is true."

Harlequin: "Except for what he's actually aiming at."

"Why? Was it not amusing to watch the great Edwin Odesseiron humiliate himself with a child's toy?"

Yes. Yes, it was. :D

(And she forgets that there are few things more stylish than a wizard with a staff.)

Enara: "Girl with swords?"

Colleen: "That is pretty hot."

Jefferson: "It's got its charms."

"Perhaps. (They'll probably only have sticks that would be better used as kindling.)"

Good. We could tie him to one and set it on fire.

"You forget that he was far from immune to the way you smiled at him," Edwin remarked. "(Unlike others I could mention. Yes, very immune.)"

Raven: "Yeah, I'm not immune to it, either."

Colleen: "Neither am I."

Jefferson: "I don't think she's into girls."

Colleen: "Give me five minutes. That'll change." :D

Jefferson: "Coll, I love you like a sister, but sometimes? You scare me."

Colleen: "Good." :D

We caused that, she thought happily. She grinned when someone behind her raised his glass to the adventurers who'd cleared the Nashkel mines

Raven: :D "The hours are long, the pay's usually not so good... well, not so good for -us- anyway... but sometimes... sometimes it's worth it."

Harlequin: (Puts an arm around Falynn) "No kidding."

Jefferson: "It's got its moments."

Colleen: "Yeah... though the zombies are kinda ruining the whole thing for me right now."

Jefferson: "Well... yeah..."

"Being dead longer than you were alive must tend to addle the mind," Purple Ribbons whispered.

He's... got a point.

Raven: (Sighs) "Im?"

Harlequin: "I'll get the claymore mines."

Jefferson: "I'll go scrounge up some grenades."

Colleen: "What about me?"

Raven: "Don't touch anything."

Colleen: "Hmph." :D

#3 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:07 PM

Raven: "Well, he can hit just about anything, this much is true."

Harlequin: "Except for what he's actually aiming at."

Edwin: *huffs loudly*

Yes. Yes, it was. :D

I knew you'd think so :D

(And she forgets that there are few things more stylish than a wizard with a staff.)

Enara: "Girl with swords?"

Colleen: "That is pretty hot."

Jefferson: "It's got its charms."

At least you didn't say anything about knobs :D

Good. We could tie him to one and set it on fire.

Now that's just mean.

We caused that, she thought happily. She grinned when someone behind her raised his glass to the adventurers who'd cleared the Nashkel mines

Raven: :D "The hours are long, the pay's usually not so good... well, not so good for -us- anyway... but sometimes... sometimes it's worth it."

Imoen: Yep! :D

Raven: (Sighs) "Im?"

Harlequin: "I'll get the claymore mines."

Jefferson: "I'll go scrounge up some grenades."

Colleen: "What about me?"

Raven: "Don't touch anything."

Colleen: "Hmph." :D

Aw come on, two mages and a ranger? It'll be fun!

#4 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

[quote]
Imoen, Edwin and Kivan made it halfway to Beregost by nightfall, and set up camp at the base of a low, sandy cliff. It'd been a quiet day; Kivan had talked as much as usual, and Edwin had barely even mumbled to himself. He hadn't even responded properly when Imoen started talking about all the useful things she could do with divination spells.
[/quote]

Aww -- poor Im hasn't got much in the way of good company, has she?

[quote]
Edwin turned and looked at her. It was too dark to make out his face properly, but she was sure he was glaring at her.
[/quote]

Yep -- I think I'd be sure of that too :roll:

[quote]
[/quote]

I hafta feel a bit sorry for him! The dead of the night, in the middle of nowhere... and still he gets interrupted :lol:

[/quote]

Aaaaaah. I see what it is now...

[quote]
[/quote]

Awww :lol:

[quote]
[/quote]

:twisted:

[quote]
[/quote]

Hehehe -- she has her reasons though, Eddie!

[quote]
"In the mountains. In the mines. In the bandit camp. While I am not foolish enough to try to bludgeon anyone to death with brute strength (especially when I can obliterate them with a thought instead) I do know the value of being able to shove an enemy out of my way with a long, pointy stick. (I shouldn't even have to tell her this!)"
[/quote]

Oh, good point. I'd have never thought about using it to shove someone away.

[quote]
"I also used it as walking support in this rough terrain your friends seem intent upon dragging us through. (And she forgets that there are few things more stylish than a wizard with a staff.)"
[/quote]

Well, it's a lot more stylish than a big, red, pointy hat...

[quote]
"I should have asked you more nicely if she could have it back," Imoen said unhappily.
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote]
"I remember," Edwin said, sounding a bit enthusiastic all of a sudden. "Yes, we should be able to afford it and everything else we require with careful managment of our finances."
[/quote]

Yay!

[quote]
[/quote]

Teehee! :lol:

[quote]
"Well, he wasn't supposed to be immune, was he?" Imoen said, and pulled a thick bundle of spell scrolls out of her bag. "Look at how many we got, Kivan! And they're all good ones, too; some of them I can't even memorize yet!"
[/quote]

But I bet Edwin can memorise most of them, no?

[quote]
"Good," Kivan said. "We'll be able to get more supplies at the smithy tomorrow."
[/quote]

Ah, the non-magicky practical one (well the only one, currently... :lol: ) :lol:

[quote]
"Right here," Imoen said, and handed the scroll to Edwin. "I wonder who'll be playing tonight?"
[/quote]

Hopefully not Garrick...

[quote]
While Edwin buried his nose in the complex scrolls, muttering every now and then, Imoen looked around the room. A lot of people were there, and many of them were talking loudly. She decided to try to listen in on some of the conversations going around her.
[/quote]

The best way to find out about subquests! From the commoners! :lol:

[quote]
[/quote]

Ah, thought that might get his attention :roll:

[quote]
"Oh, absolutely," Edwin said. "(The girl has a brilliant mind, when she chooses to use it!)"
[/quote]

[quote]
He very nearly smiled.[/quote]

#5 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:09 PM

Not the cheeriest of company for a trip.

Imoen got out of her bedroll, pulled on her boots, and followed the noise. Soon, she saw a glint of magelight between two skinny trees, and soon after that she saw Edwin. He sat on a dry slope that was covered with pebbles, and a magelight hovered over his head. He was picking up small stones from the ground and flinging them at a boulder some ten feet away. The stones made the little plinks as they hit the larger rock.

He is sulking. :roll:

There is this thing called humility... look it up sometime.

"My powerful mind is perfectly capable of money management at any hour, day or night!"

Imoen grinned. "Of course it is. Good night, Eddie," she said, and headed back to camp.

Heh... :twisted:

Imoen skipped happily down the front steps of High Hedge, closely followed by Edwin. He was mumbling something about undignified ways to leave a mage tower. Kivan waited for them at the bottom of the steps; he'd not been interested in visiting Thalantyr, and had waited outside instead.

Imoen is so cramping Edwins suave wizard style.

People seemed happier than last time, she noticed. As far as she could tell, they'd just gotten fresh iron supplies, and Taerom and his assistants were very busy turning it into new swords and knives and ploughs. We caused that, she thought happily. She grinned when someone behind her raised his glass to the adventurers who'd cleared the Nashkel mines.

It is good to be appreicated.

"It was destroyed some three hundred years hence. I've not met a soul who claims to know why it occurred; none that were there are alive to say, and them that haunt the place... cannot tell," Puffy Hat said.

It alos has that really annoying skeleton.

He very nearly smiled.

:roll:

#6 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:58 AM

Uh-oh! Something must be eating him!

Eh?

That's a pretty safe bet.

Willow: D'aww, I can never resist the scowl. :lol:

"How perceptive."

She's cool like that.

"Nice hit," Imoen said.

Y'know, I always thought that was a pretty good point for mages. They have to be able to aim right for their spells. Why, then, are they considered the weakest fighters? I mean, besides the stupid "die-rolling thing."

Slings are hard, Eddie, it's not just you. Still: :roll:

That reminds me of an episode of the Critic... this kid is in his school's field day and he has to do the long jump, and he jumps with all his might and there's slo-mo and everything, and he lands, and then the official watching says, "I'm afraid you've actually gone back a few feet. You would've been better off just standing still!"

Edwin was quiet for a while. "Your friend had no such problems," he eventually said.

She's a druid, it's a big Druid Conspiracy that they're all good with slings.

"You never saw her with a bow, though. She can use one, but she doesn't like having to stand still and aim - I think it makes her nervous. She threw her bow away before we even reached Nashkel."

Heh. Well, he's got a point there. Still, I guess she has pretty good reasons.

Ooh, good point. But of course, you could do that with any staff, Eddie.

But wait, not just any staff for Edwin Odesseiron! I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me.

Very true! But... alright, if no one else will say it, I will. "Does it have a knob on the end?"

Oh, yeah? So that nose-ring disaster coming up won't be a result of sleep deprivation?

"Anyway, he was still grateful that we'd rescued him from chickenhood, so we got some pretty nice discounts!" Imoen said with a grin.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a good thing they've got Kivan with them. :roll:

"It is of no consequence as long as they do not disturb our important work," Edwin said. "(Dancing is for common peons, not for the intellectual elite. We have better things to do than that. Yes, that's it.)"

Sure, Eddie. That instance in the Friendly Arm was a complete fluke.

"Hey, did you hear that?" Imoen whispered to Edwin, pulling his sleeve to get his attention.

D'aww.

Well, considering that it was a school of magic, I'm thinking some sort of explosion, or maybe an irate demon.

Good point!

He very nearly smiled.

*dies from the cute* :lol:

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:53 AM

[quote][quote]
[/quote]

Aww -- poor Im hasn't got much in the way of good company, has she?
[/quote]

No. Eddie is certainly not living up to expectations.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Yep -- I think I'd be sure of that too :roll:
[/quote]

It is a pretty easy guess, after all :lol:

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

I hafta feel a bit sorry for him! The dead of the night, in the middle of nowhere... and still he gets interrupted :lol:
[/quote]

It wouldn't have been a problem if only he'd gone off to sulk quietly.

[quote]
[/quote]

Aaaaaah. I see what it is now...
[/quote]

Yep.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

He's so touchy, isn't he?

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Hehehe -- she has her reasons though, Eddie!
[/quote]

True, but still...

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Oh, good point. I'd have never thought about using it to shove someone away.
[/quote]

He even clobbered a gnoll or two. (Which is different from beating them to death.)

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Well, it's a lot more stylish than a big, red, pointy hat...
[/quote]

Few things aren't!

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Yay!
[/quote]

With Edwin, there is barely a mood that can't be cured with a large bag of spell scrolls :lol:

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Teehee! :lol:
[/quote]

Edwin: I do not see what is so funny.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

But I bet Edwin can memorise most of them, no?
[/quote]

Immy's currently 2 levels below him (she's a fast learner, though!) and can only memorize level 3 spells. He can memorize level 4.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Ah, the non-magicky practical one (well the only one, currently... :lol: ) :lol:
[/quote]

Can't send Eddie and Imoen shopping without someone to take up the slack in that respect :lol:

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Hopefully not Garrick...
[/quote]

I was thinking some kind of smarmy bard who loved to sing long ballads.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

The best way to find out about subquests! From the commoners! ;)
[/quote]

It beats breaking into houses and waiting for the owners to offer you work!

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Ah, thought that might get his attention :roll:
[/quote]

[quote]
[quote]

He very nearly smiled.[/quote]

Awww ;)[/quote]

He's very nearly cute, isn't he ;)

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:57 AM

Not the cheeriest of company for a trip.

Imoen: Mutton-mongering riffraff.

He is sulking. :roll:

Indeed he is :roll:

There is this thing called humility... look it up sometime.

Edwin: 'humility' and any derivative verbs should never apply to an Odesseiron!

Imoen is so cramping Edwins suave wizard style.

She excels at that :lol:

It is good to be appreicated.

Yeah. I was tempted to have a bard sing a ballad about the Heroes of Nashkel :lol:

It alos has that really annoying skeleton.

Oh, that guy. I'd almost forgotten about him.

Incidentally, magic missiles are by far the best way to get rid of single skeletons if you don't have a high level priest handy.

He very nearly smiled.

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:08 AM

Uh-oh! Something must be eating him!

Surely you didn't expect him to immediately recover from the indignities he's suffered!

Eh?

Kivan: *grumps, points*

That's a pretty safe bet.

Absolutely.

Willow: D'aww, I can never resist the scowl. :lol:

Imoen: It is cute, as scowls go. I still think he'd look better if he smiled, though :lol:

"How perceptive."

She's cool like that.

Thiefy reflexes and all that.

"Nice hit," Imoen said.

Y'know, I always thought that was a pretty good point for mages. They have to be able to aim right for their spells. Why, then, are they considered the weakest fighters? I mean, besides the stupid "die-rolling thing."

Exactly. And you can perhaps guess what they'll buy at the smithy.

Slings are hard, Eddie, it's not just you. Still: :lol:

The hurt feelings are just oozing out of him, isn't it?

There's no reason that archery skills should correlate to sling skills for Imoen, especially since Ember has it the other way around :lol:

That reminds me of an episode of the Critic... this kid is in his school's field day and he has to do the long jump, and he jumps with all his might and there's slo-mo and everything, and he lands, and then the official watching says, "I'm afraid you've actually gone back a few feet. You would've been better off just standing still!"

She's a druid, it's a big Druid Conspiracy that they're all good with slings.

Actually, it has more to do with her general fighting style (very fluid) and her now 19 dex. She's warning me against trying to give her shields, of course.

I think a non-bhaalspawn Ember may have become a treehugging kensai.

Heh. Well, he's got a point there. Still, I guess she has pretty good reasons.

I hope to be able to break that habit now that I have no further weaponry I want her to get rid of :lol:

Very true! But... alright, if no one else will say it, I will. "Does it have a knob on the end?"

:twisted: :lol:

Oh, yeah? So that nose-ring disaster coming up won't be a result of sleep deprivation?

Edwin: I never expected simians to understand true style.

;) ;) ;)

He's just barely starting to set foot in Denial :)

It's a good thing they've got Kivan with them. :lol:

Can you imagine the trouble they'd get into otherwise?

Sure, Eddie. That instance in the Friendly Arm was a complete fluke.

Actually, that was the last time they were in the Jovial Juggler :D

Well, considering that it was a school of magic, I'm thinking some sort of explosion, or maybe an irate demon.

For their sake, I'll probably go with something safer than an irate demon.

He very nearly smiled.

*dies from the cute* :D

*resuscitates* :D

There should be more next time (a writing break while she's training won't harm Ember one bit) :D

#10 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

Edwin: Imoen... useful... I detect something of a oxymoron.

Imoen: I detect a moron.

Oh. So that's what this is about. "I'm sorry about yesterday," Imoen said.

Imoen: (sniggers) No... not one bit (sniggers)

Imoen frowned. Why does he have to be so touchy about his shortcomings? "Alora tried to show me how to use a sling yesterday too, you know," Imoen said.

"And?"

Tarant: She's getting better then.

"I'm sorry about the staff, too," Imoen said. "I didn't think you'd miss it; you never use it, after all."

Edwin: What?! What are you saying? My staff has seen lots of use. Lots.

Edwin: And this is not just any old wizard with a staff. This is Edwin. Ed-Win.

"Yep!" Imoen exclaimed cheerfully. "Thalantyr was busy with some kind of flesh golem research, so he had Melicamp help us instead. You remember him, right?"

"Aye," Kivan said.

Edwin: Absolutely. She's the least appealing female I have ever had the misfortune to come across.

Imoen: Can't dance heh...

Edwin: Of course he can. Edwin can do anything... some things are just beneath him.

Imoen: It's always nice to see your work pay off.

Tarant: It's nicer when someone hands over their money.

"Oh heavens, that would be disastrous!" Puffy Hat exclaimed, wiping his brow with his hat. "Come, my friend, I need some fresh air," he told his companion. The two of them bowed deeply and left the table.

He very nearly smiled.

Edwin: Yes... tell you what though, why not Imoen go on ahead and Edwin will cover her behind.

Imoen: Just how far behind are you talking?

Good chapter :twisted:

#11 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:27 PM

Imoen, Edwin and Kivan made it halfway to Beregost by nightfall, and set up camp at the base of a low, sandy cliff. It'd been a quiet day; Kivan had talked as much as usual

Basically, he’s limited himself to the occasional grunt, then.

And I see that Kivan also has jumped to the opportunity to escape halfling hospitality.

Hmm, something’s bothering our grouch of a wizard…

"The deal was that I take you with me to Beregost, and you keep me company. But so far, you've been as quiet as Kivan, and now you're keeping me awake with those rocks!"

Was it also a deal to bring the elf along? Maybe Eddie’s angry about that.

Yes, you need it for the ranged touch attack spells. :twisted:

Ah… Eddie cannot live with the thought of not being the best at something…

Shouldn’t be too much of a problem getting a new one, really.

as long as you don’t insist on a pointy hat…

There, Edwin, life is not so bad, see? :twisted:

It was the least he could do, too. Wonder if he still clucks now and then. :twisted:

Not to mention that the music probably makes it impossible to concentrate for scribing spells.

"Simple logic says there must be magic treasure in the ruins of a magician's school such as Ulcaster, but 'tis a treacherous task to get to it. Dead wizards are not known to sleep soundly, nor to wake jovial," someone else replied.

Ruins, equals monsters, equals treasure. :twisted:

"Rumor tells of a magical gate in the bottom o' the school ruins, but no-one knows where it leads," Purple Ribbons added nervously. "Anywhere is better than that accursed place, if ye ask me!"

Love those names. ;)

Famous Last Words!

What’s so brilliant about being foolishly reckless? ;)

#12 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:54 AM

Edwin: Imoen... useful... I detect something of a oxymoron.

Imoen: I detect a moron.

;)

Imoen: (sniggers) No... not one bit (sniggers)

Sheesh :twisted:

Tarant: She's getting better then.

So, yours is more of a danger to herself than to others with a sling?

Edwin: What?! What are you saying? My staff has seen lots of use. Lots.

Edwin: And this is not just any old wizard with a staff. This is Edwin. Ed-Win.

Edwin: Absolutely. She's the least appealing female I have ever had the misfortune to come across.

Edwin: I wouldn't say the least appealing (especially when she smiles like.. no) but she is not up to the standards of Thay, by far.

Imoen: Can't dance heh...

He can, and his subconscious wants to, but she was just talking about the music ;)

Edwin: Of course he can. Edwin can do anything... some things are just beneath him.

Simians, for instance.

Good chapter :)

#13 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:01 AM

Imoen, Edwin and Kivan made it halfway to Beregost by nightfall, and set up camp at the base of a low, sandy cliff. It'd been a quiet day; Kivan had talked as much as usual

Basically, he’s limited himself to the occasional grunt, then.

Pretty much, yes.

And I see that Kivan also has jumped to the opportunity to escape halfling hospitality.

Let's just say that the first thing my Kivan said after I put Alora in the party was "your chattering might drive us all insane!" :twisted:

Hmm, something’s bothering our grouch of a wizard…

Yep.

Was it also a deal to bring the elf along? Maybe Eddie’s angry about that.

Yeah, she mentioned explicitly that Kivan wasn't sufficient company for her. Kivan and Imoen planned the trip together before she even asked Edwin to come. And he doesn't mind Kivan; the elf is quiet enough to not bother him, and they've even shared rooms quite often.

Ah… Eddie cannot live with the thought of not being the best at something…

Exactly. As long as he doesn't demonstrate ineptness, he is the potential grand master of any task. He'd be awesome with swords if he were inclined towards using blades, of course. You get the picture? :twisted:

Shouldn’t be too much of a problem getting a new one, really.

No. Taerom Fuiruim has an identical staff for sale ;)

as long as you don’t insist on a pointy hat…

True, true.

It was the least he could do, too. Wonder if he still clucks now and then. :twisted:

Probably. As long as he doesn't lay eggs, I am sure he doesn't mind ;)

Not to mention that the music probably makes it impossible to concentrate for scribing spells.

I don't think he'll do the actual scribing till he's in his room. This is just studying.

Love those names. :)

I got tired of calling them 'the other man' and realized Imoen would mentally assign names to them :)

Famous Last Words!

What’s so brilliant about being foolishly reckless? :D

Edwin: School of magic? Hidden treasures? (Simian.)

#14 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:03 AM

At least they’ve got Imoen, who can talk for three people all by herself.

Just as Imoen was dozing off, she heard a strange noise. It sounded a bit like the plink a small rock made if it fell on a larger. A short while later, she heard it again. It's not from the cliff, is it?

Those ears aren’t just for show.

It’s a small stone falling on a larger one.

His normal expression, then.

So if you knew, why’d you have to ask him?

It would probably have to be, if you really want to be a top-class mage.

Hey, if your first attempt with a sling goes in the direction of the target, you aren’t doing badly.

Did you hit anyone, or were they standing off to the side?

Wait till you get to Amn. You’ll have a whole golf bag full of staves to choose from.

Although pointy hats are apparently on their way back into fashion.

Thunderhammer Smithy has one – or is it Thalantyr?

"And we can definitely get you some new spells. Do you remember that monster summoning scroll Thalantyr had? We can afford it now!"

Maybe pick up a wand or two as well.

Imoen being undignified. What out-of-character behaviour will we see next.

No, he was completely out of Basilisk eggs, and the Robes of the Archmagi were in terribly unstylish colours.

I’m not sure that admitting you’re immune to girls is great for your image, Edwin.

Now I’m curious about what level she is compared to Edwin.

I always liked it in BG1 when some random peasant recognised you as a hero.

"It will be a cold day in the lower planes before I risk my neck in the ruin o' Ulcaster!" someone said behind Imoen. "Who knows what lurks around in those tight passages?"

Ping. Your journal has a new quest. The Ruins of Ulcaster.

It’s supposed to have been Calishite wizards jealous of the founder, which seems on the face of it pretty unlikely.

"I see," Imoen said. "Thank you for telling us this; we might have gone there completely unaware!"

He very nearly smiled.

Don’t forget to buy a new staff.

#15 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:03 AM

Hey, if your first attempt with a sling goes in the direction of the target, you aren’t doing badly.

Wait till you get to Amn. You’ll have a whole golf bag full of staves to choose from.

No, he was completely out of Basilisk eggs, and the Robes of the Archmagi were in terribly unstylish colours.

I’m not sure that admitting you’re immune to girls is great for your image, Edwin.

It’s supposed to have been Calishite wizards jealous of the founder, which seems on the face of it pretty unlikely.

He very nearly smiled.

#16 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:04 AM

He very nearly smiled.

#17 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:45 AM

[quote][quote]Imoen, Edwin and Kivan made it halfway to Beregost by nightfall, and set up camp at the base of a low, sandy cliff. It'd been a quiet day; Kivan had talked as much as usual, and Edwin had barely even mumbled to himself. He hadn't even responded properly when Imoen started talking about all the useful things she could do with divination spells. [/quote]

[/quote]

If she wants to.

[quote]
[quote]"It looks and sounds like you're throwing pebbles at a rock," Imoen said. [/quote]

[/quote]

Because there is a difference between what you're doing and what you're doing.

[quote]
[quote]"The only bullet I managed to throw at all went backwards." [/quote]

[/quote]

It went five feet backwards.

[quote]
[quote]"In the mountains. In the mines. In the bandit camp. While I am not foolish enough to try to bludgeon anyone to death with brute strength (especially when I can obliterate them with a thought instead) I do know the value of being able to shove an enemy out of my way with a long, pointy stick. (I shouldn't even have to tell her this!)" [/quote]

[/quote]

What, like the staff of rynn, the elemental staves, the staff of the woodlands, etc. etc. etc.?

[quote]
[quote]"We can get you a new staff in Beregost, perhaps?" Imoen suggested. [/quote]

[/quote]

Thunderhammer.

[quote]
[quote]"And we can definitely get you some new spells. Do you remember that monster summoning scroll Thalantyr had? We can afford it now!"

"I remember," Edwin said, sounding a bit enthusiastic all of a sudden. "Yes, we should be able to afford it and everything else we require with careful managment of our finances."[/quote]

[/quote]

They already have a handful of wands. And the monster summoning spell was really sold at the Sorcerous Sundries, but I decided to relocate it to High Hedge.

[quote]
[quote]"Did you get everything you wanted?" Kivan asked. [/quote]

[/quote]

He already has the one he stole from Davaeorn, so no problem there.

[quote]
[quote]"Well, he wasn't supposed to be immune, was he?" Imoen said, and pulled a thick bundle of spell scrolls out of her bag. "Look at how many we got, Kivan! And they're all good ones, too; some of them I can't even memorize yet!" [/quote]

[/quote]

At the moment, two levels below. She can cast level 3, he can cast level 4.

[quote]
[quote]People seemed happier than last time, she noticed. As far as she could tell, they'd just gotten fresh iron supplies, and Taerom and his assistants were very busy turning it into new swords and knives and ploughs. We caused that, she thought happily. She grinned when someone behind her raised his glass to the adventurers who'd cleared the Nashkel mines. [/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, it's a nice touch.

[quote]

He very nearly smiled. [/quote]

Don’t forget to buy a new staff.[/quote]

He won't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com