Reclaiming (Maiyn) - Chapter 19

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:25 PM

Shadows

-----------------------

"You are Minister Lloyd, are you not?"

He looked at the two women who had knocked on his door with such ferocity that it threatened to swing inwards despite its lock. The taller one was speaking, her voice hinting at an accent he was unfamiliar with. Both of them were glaring at him as if he'd recently murdered their grandmothers.

"I-I am," he managed to stammer.

"So you sent this boy out to seek help for your village?" This time the other woman spoke. She was barely shorter than her companion, and had an unsettling golden glow in her eyes that just caused him to feel even more nervous. He swallowed as he looked past them, seeing the rest of the group. He recognised the boy, Delon, sitting on the shoulder of the largest man the minister had ever seen. His relief at the boy's successful location of adventurers was rapidly being overwhelmed by his worry at their demeanour.

"Ah, Delon," he managed to call. "It is such a relief-"

"Spare us your hollow displays of happiness," snapped the woman.

"Maiyn," cautioned the other, frowning slightly at her friend. Minister Lloyd backed away from the door, and invited them in, failing to think of any alternative. Only the women followed inside; their companions grouped around the door, some watching with interest, others waiting impatiently for the exchange to finish.

"What possessed you to send a child on a hunt for help, when your problem involves a force that could have caught him helpless and alone? Did you not consider this?"

He tried to stop staring at the woman's large red shield; it was an amazing display of workmanship, and he was sure that it was a display of their ability and capability. The other woman -- the one who had been called Maiyn -- took his silence as guilt.

"We can understand your desperation," she said calmly, but her gaze was still cool. "But it is unforgivable to do such a thing. Delon was lucky he encountered us first, and not some of the foes he met while travelling back here in our company."

Lloyd looked out to the young boy, and he nodded quietly, his face sombre. The man carrying him was frowning to the minister, and he bellowed disapprovingly.

"Minsc and Boo think the little minister man should treat children better than he has, otherwise my hamster may be forced to righteously bring down the heel of justice on the cowardly ways!"

Minister Lloyd noticed one of the others rolling his eyes; his ears gave him away as an elf, and his robes marked him out as a mage. He was looking dour and miserable, and several twigs and parts of plants seemed to be caught in his dark, flowing hair. Normally it would have been a slightly humorous sight, but the minister was aware that the ire of the women was still firmly fixed on him.

"None of the villagers will leave-" he began.

"You do not send a child instead!" It was almost a shriek, and it was Maiyn's turn to look astonished at her companion.

"Jaheira!" she exclaimed. Her surprise was fleeting, however, and soon her disgruntled look was back, and fixed firmly to
him.

"He-"

"He had recently lost his parents," interrupted Maiyn.

"I know-"
"So why did you send him out into the wilderness alone?" snapped Jaheira.

He opened his mouth to speak, then sagged and crumpled into a chair. "I didn't know what else to do," he said meekly.

The women stared at him with amazement, then regarded each other for several long minutes. He watched them as they conversed in hushed tones, then returned his gaze to the others. Delon was smiling and laughing outside as the large man swirled him around. The elf with the long hair was leaning against the entrance, almost as if he was trying to huddle into the wall. Another figure was beside him, hood drawn up over his face. What little features Lloyd could make out suggested the build of an elf, but he was unable to see the ears to formalise his decision. The man was wearing an amused smile as he watched the women, however. Two other men stood outside, one dressed in armour that shone despite the overcast day, and one wearing simple leathers, his hand grasping a slender bow tightly as he scrutinised his surroundings.

Eventually the women finished their counsel, and turned back to face him as one. They were still glaring, he noticed with a sinking feeling.

"We will investigate the source of disappearances to your village," said Jaheira calmly.

He smiled with relief. "Oh, th-"

"But we are not doing this for you," cut in Maiyn, with a frown.

"No, we will do this for Delon," agreed Jaheira. "Now he has nowhere to stay, I trust you will ensure the innkeeper gives him a room and that the charge for it is settled between him and you?"

"Oh, er," he stuttered, "of course."

"Good," said Maiyn. "We shall take him there now, and begin our investigations once we have eaten."

And then they turned, and he wandered to the door to watch them go. He felt very flustered. He wasn't used to complete strangers knocking on his door with the aplomb those women had; nor was he used to being talked over repeatedly by anyone -- except for possibly his wife.

As they crossed the distance between his home and the tavern, a large feral cat stalked over to the one called Maiyn, and she affectionately patted its head. He saw her speak to it, and it turned and bounded back into the trees as the companions filed into the inn. He rushed forward, calling out to her before she followed them.

"Wait! One more thing, if you please, my lady!"

She turned to look at him, her gaze as cold as previously. She waited courteously for him to approach, her eyes fixed to him as he tried to speak over his nerves.

"Our ranger, Merella, was concerned by the situation," he said meekly, avoiding eye contact with her steely glare. "She has not been seen for several days, and I fear she may have taken it upon herself to investigate the disappearances herself. We also had some adventurers under our employ, led by the halfling known as Mazzy Fentan... but they too have not returned, and I can only assume that the same fate has befallen them."

The woman nodded. "The ranger had a cabin? Where is it?"

"To the west of the village, my lady. No one ever dares to go far enough from safety to see if she is there, but it is unlike her to not visit us."

"We shall make our way there when we can," Maiyn replied tersely, turning away.

"There is another thing! Recently we had some... creatures, I suppose, settle down here. They have made themselves a camp to the north, and many of the locals believe this is all their doing."

"And do you?"

"I... I do not know," he admitted, making eye contact with effort. "Please, if you can help us..."

"We have already given our word that we would," she said, her tone slightly more gentle than previously. "In exchange for our aid, you will ensure Delon finds a home where he will be loved and cherished; and above all, cared for, befitting a boy as brave as he is."

"Yes, yes I shall," he promised, relief washing through him. He watched her enter the inn before he returned to his home, finding his wife standing at the doorway, regarding him with suspicion. He smiled to her as he took her arm, leading her inside.

"My dear, I have some news for you..."

-----------------------

Maiyn led the way as the group trekked away from Imnesvale and set off across the green meadow that lay to the east of the town. She quickly found a fording point on the river, and ignored Xan's mumblings as he gathered up his robes and carefully tiptoed across. Her mind was on the gossip they'd heard from the villagers as they'd eaten in the inn. All had been quick to put forward their own views and suspicions; some insisting it was an old witch, Umar, who plagued them for their apathy. Most believed it was the creatures camping to the north, but some were adamant it was wolves from the hills.

Not wolves. There are no normal wolves near here.

Maiyn frowned as she walked. Normal wolves?

The wolves I sense are darker in nature.

Verya was not far from the group, scouting ahead diligently as they traipsed through the grass, heading towards the building that Maiyn could make out in the distance. Clouds covered the sky, threatening rain, and making the afternoon much darker than it should have been. The group walked in silence, the only noise coming from Minsc and Anomen's armour as they strode purposefully behind their leader.

Enemy!

Maiyn had pulled forward her bow and attached an arrow before her companions even registered her actions. Verya bounded back to them, her fur on end and her ears flat as she retreated away from the shadowy form that followed her. Maiyn's arrows caused it to howl in pain, and Minsc ran forward with Larry drawn, slashing at the creature as several others appeared, closing in on the group.

Anomen drew out his holy symbol, and held it out at the shadows as he repelled them with the power of Helm. They seemed to shrink away instantly, allowing Minsc and Jaheira to finish them off easily as the others gathered into a tight formation. Maiyn stroked Verya's head soothingly as Jaheira turned to her, and the elf raised her eyebrows quizzically.

"Shades," said the druid, answering the unasked question. "It is unusual that we meet them in these surroundings."

"Verya has said that the wolves around here are not normal wolves," said Maiyn. "She said they are darker in nature."
Jaheira considered this, and looked up as Kivan spoke.

"Dire wolves?" he suggested. Jaheira nodded her agreement, and Maiyn frowned.

"We'd better get to the cabin," she said firmly, striking out towards the building once more.

"Be careful in case there are more near here," cautioned Jaheira as they walked. "If they get close they can drain your energy and leave you weak."

Maiyn shuddered, but nodded her acknowledgement. "Anomen can turn them though."

"With pleasure, my lady," replied the priest, throwing her a charming smile. Maiyn returned it, and noticed Xan's look of distaste as she turned her eyes back to her destination.

"Can you not turn?"

Maiyn winced slightly. "I... I don't know," she admitted to the druid. Jaheira looked slightly surprised by this.
"I suppose you would need a holy symbol first," the half-elf mused.

Maiyn stopped, and slowly lowered her pack to the ground as the others paused to watch her. Her hands trembled as she pulled out a cloak that was rolled up and stored at the base of her belongings; Imoen had given it to her when she'd first been freed from her cage in Irenicus' dungeon, and she'd stored it away, away from sight since then. She trembled visibly as she unfolded it to reveal a small metal brooch and necklace. All except Anomen and Yoshimo gasped slightly as they realised what they were.

"Why have you not been wearing them?" Jaheira asked quietly as she knelt by the ranger.

"I... they reminded me of Imoen," said Maiyn weakly. "I meant to... and then I..."

Jaheira silently took the necklace; the symbol of Fenmarel was an onyx stone that Gorion had possessed, preparing to gift it to his ward on her birthday. He had died before he was able to, however, and Imoen had rescued it from his corpse slyly, gifting it to Maiyn weeks later when she'd crafted it into a pretty necklace on a plain silk string, polished rocks and pretty beads setting off the look. The talisman itself had a silver trim that shone along with the green eyes set against the black background. It felt warm to Maiyn's skin as the druid fastened it around the elf's neck.

Maiyn picked up the brooch and carefully fixed it over the plain silver clasp that currently adorned her weatherworn cloak. It had been Imoen's gift for her birthday, obtained from a trader that passed through Candlekeep before they left. It was a cat, crouched low as if preparing to spring at any moment. It looked awfully like Verya. She swallowed hard as she fixed her pack back up, setting it back onto her shoulders as she wordlessly moved on, hoping the others didn't see the emotion in her face. When Imoen was captured she'd avoided taking her two precious items from her storage, for fear of reminding herself of her sister. How Imoen had found them in the dungeon, she'd never know, but the thief had presented them to her with a beaming smile, and in one of the few conscious memories Maiyn had of their capture, she'd felt overwhelmed with gratitude, weeping as she'd hugged the human in thanks.

I'm coming Imoen, she thought to herself determinedly. We'll help this village, then we'll be arranging a passage to find you as soon as we return to the city. We won't be long.

-----------------------

A search of the ranger's cabin revealed a smell of decay, lots of flies, and something dead. Xan ran outside, his hand clasped across his mouth as Maiyn swung open the door to the bedroom, revealing the rotting body; the smell spilling out towards the companions.

"Kivan, go with him and make sure he is all right," said Maiyn quietly. He nodded and disappeared after the enchanter quietly as Maiyn inched her way into the room. She couldn't make anything out from the body, and found little in the way of clues to suggest what had happened. Yoshimo's shout beckoned her back to the main room, and the thief waved a book he'd found in one of the drawers of a large oak desk.

"It is the ranger's diary," he said, flicking through the pages. "The recent entries have mentioned the disappearances, and a visit from a halfling called Mazzy. The halfling told them they were heading to some temple ruins, and she has written here how she gave them directions."

"Can you find anything that will give us the directions also?" asked Maiyn.

"I will keep looking," affirmed the thief, turning back to his work. Maiyn nodded, and wandered outside to check on Xan. He was looking pale, but had seemingly managed to refrain from being sick. Kivan moved off to scout around the cabin for tracks or any sign of recent activity when Maiyn informed him of Yoshimo's discovery, and Maiyn sat down on the short wooden wall beside the mage.

"Why do we lead this life?" he asked, dismally.

Maiyn suppressed a smile. "You know why," she said quietly, her tone remaining serious.

He sighed. "I suppose I do," he relented. "We have no choice; we must accept our doom and head towards it as well as we can."

"We are not doomed."

"You are foolish if you think that. With every day that passes it becomes more and more clear. Did you see that body? That is a sign for us. That is how we will meet our end. There will be no grave, no ceremony. Our bodies will lie and rot in some far-flung place where no one else dares tread."

Maiyn tried to cover her giggle by coughing, and only succeeded in making herself choke. Xan absent-mindedly clapped her on the back as he continued.

"Or if I am really unlucky, it will just happen to you, and I will be forced to flee from your corpse to preserve my own life, mourning your passing with no body to put at rest, and no way of honouring your life as you pass to the afterlife."

Maiyn recovered enough to speak. "But I won't, will I?" Xan raised his eyebrow as he looked at her and she held his gaze. "I am a Bhaalspawn. If I die, I will..." Her voice trailed off, and Xan's hand found hers.

"You will crumble to dust, and nothing will remain of you," he finished for her.

Maiyn nodded. "Without the essence, I no longer exist. Is that what it means?"

"I don't know," admitted the enchanter helplessly. "It would appear so."

"So there is no end."

"You are doomed."

"I am doomed."

Xan sighed, and Maiyn smiled, causing him to eye her warily. "You find this amusing?" he asked.

"I find your doomsaying amusing," she corrected. "I cannot change what I am or who I am, and to languish in the unfairness of it all will just hasten my demise."

"How true," remarked Xan dryly.

"You hate what I am," she continued, her eyes narrowing as she watched him. He shifted uncomfortably. "You hate the very idea of Bhaalspawn, yet you stay with me, you are a true and loyal friend. You see past what I am, and see who I am. I wanted you to know that I appreciate it."

Before he could speak, she leant forward and kissed his cheek softly, lingering there longer than was necessary. Her contact was broken only by the sound of the others exiting the cabin, and she stood swiftly, heading over to see what they had discovered. Xan watched her go, his eyes a mixture of fear and sorrow, his mind swirling with conflicting thoughts and feelings.

-----------------------

Madulf was an ogre. Kivan was not very happy with this, but Maiyn's hand on his arm was helping him to keep control as he listened to their conversation.

"You'se a human. Sort of," noted Madulf proudly. "But you'se not of human village. Why you come here? What you wanting?"

Maiyn looked past the tall creature to the 'camp' that lay beyond. Hobgoblins and orcs were standing, watching them almost fearfully. One or two other ogres lumbered slightly closer, but it was a slow movement and not a threatening advance. A few gibberlings scurried past, hiding behind the tall minotaurs that stood as still as statues. Everyone was listening to Maiyn's words.

She cleared her throat. "Who are you? And what are you doing here?"

A wave of relief seemed to wash over the band as postures relaxed slightly. Madulf pointed to himself as he spoke. "Me Madulf. Me lead fellows from great army of Sythsill in the south. No want to kill no more. Leave fellows in desertion. We just want to be left alone."

A flurry of nods from the camp echoed his sentiments.

"You're deserters from the Sythillisian Empire?" asked Jaheira incredulously, her hand resting near the hilt of her club. "How do you expect to live up here?"

"Is very hard," admitted Madulf sadly. "Humans hates us and we just wants to be left alone. Some humans call knights, they chase us... It not bad here, but Madulf thinks that the village will call knights soon. Humans very mad."

"Why should they let you stay?" hissed Kivan.

"Madulf and fellows like here," replied the ogre simply, with a naivety Maiyn had thought impossible of such a creature. "But something bad killing fellows," he continued, frowning slightly. "Lose one, two maybe, at a time. Disappear, bodies too. Very bad. Madulf very worried. Madulf want no death. Madulf want no fight. Just want peace."

Maiyn nodded. "You have lost people too," she said softly. "Then you are no better off than the villagers."

Madulf seemed to brighten up. "You tell villagers, maybe, that Madulf and fellows will protect village... protect from orcs in mountains, yes? Humans let us stay then, and no call knights. Maybe let us come, once in a moon, to trade for food and goods. Madulf make deal with village, if you'se tell them... we want no trouble."

Maiyn smiled to him. "All right, I will tell them," she said, ignoring Kivan's mumbles. "I will tell the mayor what you have said, but I cannot promise anything."

Madulf beamed a smile back to the ranger, and his fellows cheered loudly in the background. "Madulf happy. Maybe fellows can live alone and eat good and be happy here. You do good thing... maybe humans agree. Madulf keep deal, you tell them."

"I shall," promised Maiyn, following the rest of her companions as they left the dell and trekked back towards Imnesvale. Kivan's face was dark, and Maiyn nudged him pointedly.

"He is not the one who hurt you and Deheriana," she chided softly.

"They are all of a kind," replied Kivan stoically.

Maiyn rolled her eyes. "Can you tell me, and swear on your own soul that you believe it to be true, that those creatures mean any harm to any of the humans in the village?"

They walked alongside each other in silence for several moments. "No," admitted Kivan eventually, sighing heavily. "I... I am glad you were prepared to listen to them. I hope they manage to achieve a peaceful life, if they can truly stick to it."

Maiyn smiled at him, and moved over to work her efforts on Anomen; the squire was voicing his doubts over the wisdom of not running through the creatures before they had the opportunity to cause undue harm. Jaheira looked over to Kivan, and grinned wryly at his expression.

"She has grown, has she not?" the druid asked.

"She has," replied Kivan. "It is good to see."

"Do you..." began Jaheira, her voice trailing off.

Kivan raised an eyebrow. "You worry about the taint?"

The druid laughed mirthlessly. "Am I so transparent?"

"No. It is in your nature to care about that aspect of her."

"I care about all of her," replied Jaheira tersely. "I just do not show it as well as some, perhaps."

"I did not mean to suggest otherwise," noted the elf. "I am not worried about the taint in her, as such. I am worried about the stress she feels from it."

"You think she will succumb?" The half-elf's voice was strained.

"I hope she will not be. The young girl I have known this past year will fight it as well as she can, but for her own sake, it is best dealt with quickly."

Jaheira nodded. "Perhaps with her friends around her she will cope."

"She needs more than us," Kivan said softly, his eyes meeting Jaheira's. "She needs her sister. And she needs-"

"Coran. But that is a futile hope."

"We don't know that," insisted Kivan. "Perhaps it is time we sent a message to ask for news on his condition."

Jaheira pondered for a moment. "Perhaps... perhaps you are right," she mused thoughtfully.

They reached the door of the inn and made their way inside as Anomen reluctantly agreed to give Madulf and his companions a chance to prove themselves loyal to their words. Yoshimo slipped off to pass on the ogre's message to the minister -- neither Maiyn nor Jaheira were in the mood to face the man again, and Minsc had rushed off to speak with Delon after spying the little boy sitting alone in the corner. The others made their way over to join him as Jaheira arranged rooms for the evening, and the little boy beamed with delight to see them once more. During their journey to the village he had been entertained by the men and cooed over by the women, and that evening he was honoured to have Boo scurrying up his arm, onto his shoulder for a while.

Yoshimo returned shortly after, informing Maiyn that Minister Lloyd had promised to go and see Madulf in the morning. "He also had this," he said quietly, passing a handwritten note over to the ranger. She looked at it curiously. "I told him what we found in the Merella's cabin, and he seemed to recognise the ruins she was talking of. He said this map may help us to find them -- it was the only thing he had to aid us, but I think it might be useful."

Maiyn nodded, and studied the parchment further. Yoshimo pointed out the village to her, and she quickly noted the general way to the ancient temple that was circled.

"We will try there in the morning," she said eventually, passing the paper to Kivan and Jaheira as she stood up. She hugged Delon good night and bid her companions and good evening, insisting she wished to retire early due to fatigue and tiredness. Their voices were still merry as she left them, heading down the corridor to the room she would share with Jaheira.

She closed the door behind her, and collapsed onto the hard mattress on the bed, not even bothering to undress. Several deep breaths later, she closed her eyes and let her mind drift off. Moments later, she entered her first real reverie for months.

#2 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

"What possessed you to send a child on a hunt for help, when your problem involves a force that could have caught him helpless and alone? Did you not consider this?"

Good point!

Unless the boy did it on his own initiative, of course.

"Minsc and Boo think the little minister man should treat children better than he has, otherwise my hamster may be forced to righteously bring down the heel of justice on the cowardly ways!"

Is there anything cuter than being trampled by hamster heels?

The women stared at him with amazement, then regarded each other for several long minutes. He watched them as they conversed in hushed tones, then returned his gaze to the others. Delon was smiling and laughing outside as the large man swirled him around. The elf with the long hair was leaning against the entrance, almost as if he was trying to huddle into the wall. Another figure was beside him, hood drawn up over his face. What little features Lloyd could make out suggested the build of an elf, but he was unable to see the ears to formalise his decision. The man was wearing an amused smile as he watched the women, however. Two other men stood outside, one dressed in armour that shone despite the overcast day, and one wearing simple leathers, his hand grasping a slender bow tightly as he scrutinised his surroundings.

Nice little description of the group :D

"We have already given our word that we would," she said, her tone slightly more gentle than previously. "In exchange for our aid, you will ensure Delon finds a home where he will be loved and cherished; and above all, cared for, befitting a boy as brave as he is."

"Yes, yes I shall," he promised, relief washing through him. He watched her enter the inn before he returned to his home, finding his wife standing at the doorway, regarding him with suspicion. He smiled to her as he took her arm, leading her inside.

:D Poor Delon is going to be stuck with her?! :P

"With pleasure, my lady," replied the priest, throwing her a charming smile. Maiyn returned it, and noticed Xan's look of distaste as she turned her eyes back to her destination.

So, is Xan being jealous on Coran's behalf?

Maiyn stopped, and slowly lowered her pack to the ground as the others paused to watch her. Her hands trembled as she pulled out a cloak that was rolled up and stored at the base of her belongings; Imoen had given it to her when she'd first been freed from her cage in Irenicus' dungeon, and she'd stored it away, away from sight since then. She trembled visibly as she unfolded it to reveal a small metal brooch and necklace. All except Anomen and Yoshimo gasped slightly as they realised what they were.

I suppose I'd have to read the first story to find out why this is a shock...

Maiyn picked up the brooch and carefully fixed it over the plain silver clasp that currently adorned her weatherworn cloak. It had been Imoen's gift for her birthday, obtained from a trader that passed through Candlekeep before they left. It was a cat, crouched low as if preparing to spring at any moment. It looked awfully like Verya. She swallowed hard as she fixed her pack back up, setting it back onto her shoulders as she wordlessly moved on, hoping the others didn't see the emotion in her face. When Imoen was captured she'd avoided taking her two precious items from her storage, for fear of reminding herself of her sister. How Imoen had found them in the dungeon, she'd never know, but the thief had presented them to her with a beaming smile, and in one of the few conscious memories Maiyn had of their capture, she'd felt overwhelmed with gratitude, weeping as she'd hugged the human in thanks.

Ah, that probably explains it, if the others do not know she has it.

Maiyn recovered enough to speak. "But I won't, will I?" Xan raised his eyebrow as he looked at her and she held his gaze. "I am a Bhaalspawn. If I die, I will..." Her voice trailed off, and Xan's hand found hers.

"You will crumble to dust, and nothing will remain of you," he finished for her.

:D

"You are doomed."

"I am doomed."

"You hate what I am," she continued, her eyes narrowing as she watched him. He shifted uncomfortably. "You hate the very idea of Bhaalspawn, yet you stay with me, you are a true and loyal friend. You see past what I am, and see who I am. I wanted you to know that I appreciate it."

Before he could speak, she leant forward and kissed his cheek softly, lingering there longer than was necessary. Her contact was broken only by the sound of the others exiting the cabin, and she stood swiftly, heading over to see what they had discovered. Xan watched her go, his eyes a mixture of fear and sorrow, his mind swirling with conflicting thoughts and feelings.

Aw :D

No species is all of a kind.

"She needs more than us," Kivan said softly, his eyes meeting Jaheira's. "She needs her sister. And she needs-"

Yes, because your scribe is evil.

"We don't know that," insisted Kivan. "Perhaps it is time we sent a message to ask for news on his condition."

Jaheira pondered for a moment. "Perhaps... perhaps you are right," she mused thoughtfully.

:)

She closed the door behind her, and collapsed onto the hard mattress on the bed, not even bothering to undress. Several deep breaths later, she closed her eyes and let her mind drift off. Moments later, she entered her first real reverie for months.

I hope she'll feel better afterwards :D

#3 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

He looked at the two women who had knocked on his door with such ferocity that it threatened to swing inwards despite its lock. The taller one was speaking, her voice hinting at an accent he was unfamiliar with. Both of them were glaring at him as if he'd recently murdered their grandmothers.

Well, he might be glad he's back. He just also might be a complete moron.

He tried to stop staring at the woman's large red shield; it was an amazing display of workmanship, and he was sure that it was a display of their ability and capability. The other woman -- the one who had been called Maiyn -- took his silence as guilt.

Concentrate on the angry Bhaalspawn, man.

Minister Lloyd noticed one of the others rolling his eyes; his ears gave him away as an elf, and his robes marked him out as a mage. He was looking dour and miserable, and several twigs and parts of plants seemed to be caught in his dark, flowing hair. Normally it would have been a slightly humorous sight, but the minister was aware that the ire of the women was still firmly fixed on him.

D'aww. Xan the woodsman. :P

Nah, just for a lovely little cottage in the woods. Oh, and the kid.

And then they turned, and he wandered to the door to watch them go. He felt very flustered. He wasn't used to complete strangers knocking on his door with the aplomb those women had; nor was he used to being talked over repeatedly by anyone -- except for possibly his wife.

Smart lady. Maybe she should be mayor. Minister. Whatever. :)

Like that soon-to-be-yours cabin? :)

Maybe not...

Literally!

:( Xan's so jealous.

On the other hand, at least Ano's not being a bastard, like canon Anomen. (I have a love-hate relationship with him.)

Jaheira silently took the necklace; the symbol of Fenmarel was an onyx stone that Gorion had possessed, preparing to gift it to his ward on her birthday. He had died before he was able to, however, and Imoen had rescued it from his corpse slyly, gifting it to Maiyn weeks later when she'd crafted it into a pretty necklace on a plain silk string, polished rocks and pretty beads setting off the look. The talisman itself had a silver trim that shone along with the green eyes set against the black background. It felt warm to Maiyn's skin as the druid fastened it around the elf's neck.

Huzzah for holy symbols! Not huzzah for Immy. :D

A search of the ranger's cabin revealed a smell of decay, lots of flies, and something dead. Xan ran outside, his hand clasped across his mouth as Maiyn swung open the door to the bedroom, revealing the rotting body; the smell spilling out towards the companions.

Um, ew.

You had a choice to go home, silly.

"You are foolish if you think that. With every day that passes it becomes more and more clear. Did you see that body? That is a sign for us. That is how we will meet our end. There will be no grave, no ceremony. Our bodies will lie and rot in some far-flung place where no one else dares tread."

Well, only in your case. Maiyn has the convenience of instant cremation.

"You are doomed."

"I am doomed."

Xan sighed, and Maiyn smiled, causing him to eye her warily. "You find this amusing?" he asked.

Well, there's only so much one can do when incredibly depressed. Eventually you have to either go insane or find humor in everything.

Actually, Maiyn kinda reminds me of Hawkeye from M*A*S*H.

Poor Xan. The poetic soul is the most fragile. :D

"Madulf and fellows like here," replied the ogre simply, with a naivety Maiyn had thought impossible of such a creature. "But something bad killing fellows," he continued, frowning slightly. "Lose one, two maybe, at a time. Disappear, bodies too. Very bad. Madulf very worried. Madulf want no death. Madulf want no fight. Just want peace."

I alwyas liked Madulf. :( Somebody smack some sense into Kivan.

Yeah, just like everyone that's seen their wife murdered goes on years-long vengeace sprees.

"I care about all of her," replied Jaheira tersely. "I just do not show it as well as some, perhaps."

There's nothing wrong with not being touchy-feely, Jaheira. :D

Lemme guess: It'll get there too late and they'll be off in Spellhold by the time Coran gets around to trying to find them?

They reached the door of the inn and made their way inside as Anomen reluctantly agreed to give Madulf and his companions a chance to prove themselves loyal to their words. Yoshimo slipped off to pass on the ogre's message to the minister -- neither Maiyn nor Jaheira were in the mood to face the man again, and Minsc had rushed off to speak with Delon after spying the little boy sitting alone in the corner. The others made their way over to join him as Jaheira arranged rooms for the evening, and the little boy beamed with delight to see them once more. During their journey to the village he had been entertained by the men and cooed over by the women, and that evening he was honoured to have Boo scurrying up his arm, onto his shoulder for a while.

That's one lucky kid. :D

Sorta like therapy for elves? :D

#4 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:03 PM

Good point!

Unless the boy did it on his own initiative, of course.

Delon: M-minister Lloyd said I'd be small and q-quick...
Minsc: Boo says that you may be small and quick, but Minister Lloyd is fat and stupid! Right, Boo?

Is there anything cuter than being trampled by hamster heels?

I don't think so :D

Nice little description of the group :D

Thanks :D It was too good a chance to pass up the opportunity to describe them from an outsider's eyes.

:D Poor Delon is going to be stuck with her?! :D

Maiyn: I hope not!
Minsc: Minsc would have to agree!

So, is Xan being jealous on Coran's behalf?

Xan's just jealous in general, really. With no Coran around, he's still too scared to hope for anything, but also annoyed whenever someone else seems to be ready to fill the role he wants for himself.

I suppose I'd have to read the first story to find out why this is a shock...

Not so much shocked, as surprised she still has them after the capture, etc. They'd be her most precious belongings, I'd guess, though she's not overly materialistic as it is.

Ah, that probably explains it, if the others do not know she has it.

Reminds her of Imoen :( Plus, it was something Gorion'd wanted to give her, and something Imoen'd gotten for her before they left Candlekeep.

*nods* :(

"You are doomed."

"I am doomed."

:P

Hee! :D

Aw :)

Xan's not very good at this :)

No species is all of a kind.

Exactly.

Yes, because your scribe is evil.

:D I'm not!

I hope she'll feel better afterwards :D

I would think so. Moodswings are rapidly becoming the least of her problems, though :D

Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

#5 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:12 PM

I'd always imagined an annoyed Jaheira to be pretty terrifying, and MAiyn isn't exactly pleasant when she's hacked off... :P

Well, he might be glad he's back. He just also might be a complete moron.

Maiyn: I'd go with the latter.
Jaheira: I think I'd agree.

Concentrate on the angry Bhaalspawn, man.

Kivan: That's sound advice, I'd urge you to listen. And mind the irate druid, too.

D'aww. Xan the woodsman. :D

Xan: I am not... oh, what's the point?

Nah, just for a lovely little cottage in the woods. Oh, and the kid.

Maiyn: We never did get offered the cottage.
Xan: Which is a good thing, considering how we found it.
Maiyn: It could have been cleaned!

Smart lady. Maybe she should be mayor. Minister. Whatever. :D

Jaheira: I am all for more women in prominent roles.

Like that soon-to-be-yours cabin? :D

Maiyn: Valygar's is nicer. But I don't think he'd let me have it.
Coran: No, dear, neither do I.

Maybe not...

Maiyn: I don't think my life is healthy for a little boy, lovely though he is.
Minsc: Ah, but we could buy little Delon a sword!
Maiyn: Er, yes. Quite. Even so, I don't think it'd be safe for him...

Literally!

Teehee :D

:D Xan's so jealous.

Xan: I'd reply, but I've given up.

On the other hand, at least Ano's not being a bastard, like canon Anomen. (I have a love-hate relationship with him.)

Hee :D

Huzzah for holy symbols! Not huzzah for Immy. :(

Montaron: I quite liked 'er, before I caught sight o' that thing.

Um, ew.

You had a choice to go home, silly.

Xan: You say 'choice' like you believe that's true...

Well, only in your case. Maiyn has the convenience of instant cremation.

Maiyn: Yeah, at least I don't have to be worried about being buried alive. If you can bury me, I'm still alive, dammit.

"You are doomed."

"I am doomed."

Well, there's only so much one can do when incredibly depressed. Eventually you have to either go insane or find humor in everything.

Exactly!

Actually, Maiyn kinda reminds me of Hawkeye from M*A*S*H.

:D Thanks... I think :)

Poor Xan. The poetic soul is the most fragile. :(

Xan: I'm not poetic! Poets are the worst of any kind!
Maiyn: Oh no, don't get him started on this...

I alwyas liked Madulf. :D Somebody smack some sense into Kivan.

I like Madulf too! :D

*agree*

Yeah, just like everyone that's seen their wife murdered goes on years-long vengeace sprees.

Well, quite :)

Kivan: Meh.

There's nothing wrong with not being touchy-feely, Jaheira. :D

Jaheira: Well. No. Perhaps not.
Maiyn: Ooooh, group hig then?
Jaheira: Er, no. Not just now.

Lemme guess: It'll get there too late and they'll be off in Spellhold by the time Coran gets around to trying to find them?

Pffffft!! No, not quite :P He's already sort of trying to find them... :D

That's one lucky kid. :D

Isn't it? :D I always imagine Minsc to have a huge soft spot for him, and so of course, that means Boo'd love him too.

Sorta like therapy for elves? :D

:D Yeah, but much, much cheaper!

Thanks for reading and commenting!

#6 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

Run for the hills, coward! :twisted:

"Maiyn," cautioned the other, frowning slightly at her friend. Minister Lloyd backed away from the door, and invited them in, failing to think of any alternative. Only the women followed inside; their companions grouped around the door, some watching with interest, others waiting impatiently for the exchange to finish.

Come on, Jaheira, let her vent, you want to do exactly the same. :lol:

I think that laughing now would have signed up a warrant for heavy beating.

"You do not send a child instead!" It was almost a shriek, and it was Maiyn's turn to look astonished at her companion.

"Jaheira!" she exclaimed. Her surprise was fleeting, however, and soon her disgruntled look was back, and fixed firmly to
him.

Tsk, tsk, you should have agreed on the tactics before entering – like Jaheira holding him and Maiyn punching. :lol:

"No, we will do this for Delon," agreed Jaheira. "Now he has nowhere to stay, I trust you will ensure the innkeeper gives him a room and that the charge for it is settled between him and you?"

Wonder what’ll happen when the crisis is settled and the adventurers move away.

"There is another thing! Recently we had some... creatures, I suppose, settle down here. They have made themselves a camp to the north, and many of the locals believe this is all their doing."

Yeah, it’s always them ogres who get the blame… :lol:

I found someone to kill the ogres…

Anomen drew out his holy symbol, and held it out at the shadows as he repelled them with the power of Helm. They seemed to shrink away instantly, allowing Minsc and Jaheira to finish them off easily as the others gathered into a tight formation. Maiyn stroked Verya's head soothingly as Jaheira turned to her, and the elf raised her eyebrows quizzically.

Anoman can really rip into these ones with his undead turning, it’s very enjoyable in the game. ;)

"Be careful in case there are more near here," cautioned Jaheira as they walked. "If they get close they can drain your energy and leave you weak."

Think you’ll meet some that he won’t be able to turn, though. :lol:

"Why have you not been wearing them?" Jaheira asked quietly as she knelt by the ranger.

"I... they reminded me of Imoen," said Maiyn weakly. "I meant to... and then I..."

Did Imoen give it to her? I seem to remember reading that…

Aww. I was almost right, then.

Really, Xan… you are about as squeamish as Aerie… :roll:

"It is the ranger's diary," he said, flicking through the pages. "The recent entries have mentioned the disappearances, and a visit from a halfling called Mazzy. The halfling told them they were heading to some temple ruins, and she has written here how she gave them directions."

Ah. Now I remember why I figured it would make sense that Merella kept diaries… because she had kept one in the game too! :lol:

So? You’ll be dead… you won’t care how you look in death.

At least you won’t leave behind a horrifyingly mutilated corpse… who’s to say what’s better. Hmm, actually, none of those options are good as such, really.

Uh-oh, more screwing with the poor guy's heart… I like it! ;)

Madulf was an ogre. Kivan was not very happy with this, but Maiyn's hand on his arm was helping him to keep control as he listened to their conversation.

Kivan… put a sock in it, it’s not like Madulf can help not being an ogre… :lol:

A wave of relief seemed to wash over the band as postures relaxed slightly. Madulf pointed to himself as he spoke. "Me Madulf. Me lead fellows from great army of Sythsill in the south. No want to kill no more. Leave fellows in desertion. We just want to be left alone."

I always felt sorry for the poor exiled monsters. :lol:

"Is very hard," admitted Madulf sadly. "Humans hates us and we just wants to be left alone. Some humans call knights, they chase us... It not bad here, but Madulf thinks that the village will call knights soon. Humans very mad."

Bad, bad knights! :roll:

Madulf beamed a smile back to the ranger, and his fellows cheered loudly in the background. "Madulf happy. Maybe fellows can live alone and eat good and be happy here. You do good thing... maybe humans agree. Madulf keep deal, you tell them."

Awwww! ;)

Want the same logic applied to your own race? Irenicus is an elf, and so is Bodhi…

Well, you’d probably scare her to death if you tried to spontaneously hug her. But some display of your feelings might be appreciated. :)

I suggest waiting… things seem to be progressing well between her and Xan… :D

Yoshimo returned shortly after, informing Maiyn that Minister Lloyd had promised to go and see Madulf in the morning. "He also had this," he said quietly, passing a handwritten note over to the ranger. She looked at it curiously. "I told him what we found in the Merella's cabin, and he seemed to recognise the ruins she was talking of. He said this map may help us to find them -- it was the only thing he had to aid us, but I think it might be useful."

Of course it would be old ruins… you would not expect the monsters to hole up someplace nice for a change, would you?

I guess that means she’s a bit more at ease, good on her. :lol:

#7 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

Run for the hills, coward! :twisted:

:lol:

Come on, Jaheira, let her vent, you want to do exactly the same. :D

Jaheira: Well, I suppose...
Maiyn: Hurrah! :D

I think that laughing now would have signed up a warrant for heavy beating.

I think so too, no matter what started it off ;) These women mean business!

him.

Tsk, tsk, you should have agreed on the tactics before entering – like Jaheira holding him and Maiyn punching. :lol:

Maiyn: We'll have to remmeber that for future, though I think we're probably better with Minsc holding, and both of us punching.
Jaheira: I concur.

Wonder what’ll happen when the crisis is settled and the adventurers move away.

He'll have a nice home that's not with the minister :lol:

Yeah, it’s always them ogres who get the blame… :D

Isn't it :D

I found someone to kill the ogres…

Hee! :D

Anoman can really rip into these ones with his undead turning, it’s very enjoyable in the game. :D

Oh yes :D Sanctuary then wandering around turning is just free experience :D

Think you’ll meet some that he won’t be able to turn, though. :lol:

Yep ;)

Did Imoen give it to her? I seem to remember reading that…

Yeah, at the Friendly Arms in the first story.

Aww. I was almost right, then.

*nods* ;)

Really, Xan… you are about as squeamish as Aerie… :roll:

Xan: I can't help it if I'm delicate.

Ah. Now I remember why I figured it would make sense that Merella kept diaries… because she had kept one in the game too! :lol:

*grins* Yeah, really nice of her -- most convenient :lol:

So? You’ll be dead… you won’t care how you look in death.

Xan: ...that doesn't really make it any better, you know.

At least you won’t leave behind a horrifyingly mutilated corpse… who’s to say what’s better. Hmm, actually, none of those options are good as such, really.

Maiyn: Well no, but like I said earlier, at least I can't be buried alive by mistake, I guess. It'd at least have to be deliberate...

Uh-oh, more screwing with the poor guy's heart… I like it! :D

Teehee! :D You're just a meanie :lol:

Kivan… put a sock in it, it’s not like Madulf can help not being an ogre… :lol:

Maiyn: Yeah, what he said.

I always felt sorry for the poor exiled monsters. :D

Me too -- I was really happy when you could sort up some sort of trading system for them and help them settle in at least a little bit.

Bad, bad knights! :roll:

Keldorn: Hm? you said something?
Ajantis: By Helm! Vicious ogres?! Let us ride at once to rid the lands of this evil scourge!
Madulf: Uh oh.

Awwww! :D

Want the same logic applied to your own race? Irenicus is an elf, and so is Bodhi…

Perhaps she should say that to him later. I don't think it'd go down too well, though.

Well, you’d probably scare her to death if you tried to spontaneously hug her. But some display of your feelings might be appreciated. :D

Jaheira: I will try. I am trying!
Maiyn: Yes, yes you are...
Jaheira: *glare*

I suggest waiting… things seem to be progressing well between her and Xan… :D

Coran: Oh fine, leave me over here on my own then. I beat the enchanter once before, I could do it again!

Of course it would be old ruins… you would not expect the monsters to hole up someplace nice for a change, would you?

Maiyn: I don't know, a nice palace with lots of yum food would be a pleasant change.
Jaheira: It would probably be poisoned.
Maiyn: I guess.

I guess that means she’s a bit more at ease, good on her. :)

Yeah, slowly she's getting there :D

Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

#8 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:40 PM

Imoen: He's murdered peoples granmothers too? Well that's it, get him!

Edwin: It's not like there's a law against having a child do the work of an adult. Rightly so, I say. No point in having kids just so they can lie about.

Tarant: Being stomped to death by a hamster is a very slow process.

"Jaheira!" she exclaimed. Her surprise was fleeting, however, and soon her disgruntled look was back, and fixed firmly to him.

Imoen: Okay, you're going to have to figure out whose the good cop and the bad cop here.

He opened his mouth to speak, then sagged and crumpled into a chair. "I didn't know what else to do," he said meekly.

Imoen: You could have sent a carrier pigeon.

Tarant: It's an excellent idea, but suppose they haven't got any?

Imoen: Well... they could train carrier chickens. Chickens are smarter than people think... they can't fly, but they know how to build small aircraft.

Tarant: This isn't a cartoon...

Aerie: Poor Delon... b-but who will take care of him? He'll need a mother or a father figure.

Like the old saying... behind every great man is an even greater woman.

"Our ranger, Merella, was concerned by the situation," he said meekly, avoiding eye contact with her steely glare. "She has not been seen for several days, and I fear she may have taken it upon herself to investigate the disappearances herself. We also had some adventurers under our employ, led by the halfling known as Mazzy Fentan... but they too have not returned, and I can only assume that the same fate has befallen them."

Edwin: Oh not her...

Imoen: Mazzy's okay really.

Edwin: Oh yes... and she's a master at hand to knee combat.

Aerie: Yes... he deserves a proper home.

"Shades," said the druid, answering the unasked question. "It is unusual that we meet them in these surroundings."

"Verya has said that the wolves around here are not normal wolves," said Maiyn. "She said they are darker in nature."

Imoen: Whatever... just throw them a frisbee. That'll keep them distracted.

Imoen: It's okay... everyone misses Imoen.

Edwin: You don't want to go... I'm sure this 'Mazzy', whoever that is, has things well under control.

"I will keep looking," affirmed the thief, turning back to his work. Maiyn nodded, and wandered outside to check on Xan. He was looking pale, but had seemingly managed to refrain from being sick. Kivan moved off to scout around the cabin for tracks or any sign of recent activity when Maiyn informed him of Yoshimo's discovery, and Maiyn sat down on the short wooden wall beside the mage.

Aerie: Do you have a choice? F-for me it was either this or shovelling away at the elephant dung for the rest of my life.

Aerie: Is... i-is he okay? I know he had a shock, but...

Tarant: I'd say this was one of his better days.

"I find your doomsaying amusing," she corrected. "I cannot change what I am or who I am, and to languish in the unfairness of it all will just hasten my demise."

Tarant: Excellent point. We all know life is unfair anyway.

"You'se a human. Sort of," noted Madulf proudly. "But you'se not of human village. Why you come here? What you wanting?"

Aerie: Well... j-just because he appears an ogre on the outside doesn't necessarily make him a bad person.

Imoen: You sound like you're talking from experience.

Madulf seemed to brighten up. "You tell villagers, maybe, that Madulf and fellows will protect village... protect from orcs in mountains, yes? Humans let us stay then, and no call knights. Maybe let us come, once in a moon, to trade for food and goods. Madulf make deal with village, if you'se tell them... we want no trouble."

Maiyn smiled to him. "All right, I will tell them," she said, ignoring Kivan's mumbles. "I will tell the mayor what you have said, but I cannot promise anything."

Tarant: I imagine it would take time for them all to come around to the idea... but, gotta admit, as far as protectors go an ogre and his band seem a pretty good choice.

Maiyn smiled at him, and moved over to work her efforts on Anomen; the squire was voicing his doubts over the wisdom of not running through the creatures before they had the opportunity to cause undue harm. Jaheira looked over to Kivan, and grinned wryly at his expression.

Aerie: Why do people always want to fight? I think it's good that there was a peaceful solution for a change.

Edwin: Erk... do you really have to? You could just get someone to play her some soothing music.

Tarant: Well he's not a complete waste of air then.

Aerie: Ah, that's good. I-I can't... I mean, I don't know how to properly... :twisted:

Good chapter!

#9 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:30 PM

Imoen: He's murdered peoples granmothers too? Well that's it, get him!

:twisted:

Edwin: It's not like there's a law against having a child do the work of an adult. Rightly so, I say. No point in having kids just so they can lie about.

Montaron: Tha's my kind o' thinkin'.

Tarant: Being stomped to death by a hamster is a very slow process.

It would be, wouldn't it? But oh so amusing :D

"Jaheira!" she exclaimed. Her surprise was fleeting, however, and soon her disgruntled look was back, and fixed firmly to him.

Imoen: Okay, you're going to have to figure out whose the good cop and the bad cop here.

Coran: I think they both enjoy being 'bad cop' too much when they're upset to share.

Imoen: You could have sent a carrier pigeon.

Tarant: It's an excellent idea, but suppose they haven't got any?

Imoen: Well... they could train carrier chickens. Chickens are smarter than people think... they can't fly, but they know how to build small aircraft.

Tarant: This isn't a cartoon...

:twisted:

Aerie: Poor Delon... b-but who will take care of him? He'll need a mother or a father figure.

Maiyn: I agree. They'd better find him a family!

Like the old saying... behind every great man is an even greater woman.

Edwin: Why are they behind him? What is the use in them being there?

Edwin: Oh not her...

Imoen: Mazzy's okay really.

Edwin: Oh yes... and she's a master at hand to knee combat.

Hahahah!

Aerie: Yes... he deserves a proper home.

HE deserves a proper home more than the minister, that's for sure ;)

Imoen: Whatever... just throw them a frisbee. That'll keep them distracted.

Maiyn: Don't have one. We could have used Edwin's amulet if he'd been with us back then though.
Edwin: Don't even think about it.

Imoen: It's okay... everyone misses Imoen.

Anomen: *ahem* Yes... yes, they do.

Edwin: You don't want to go... I'm sure this 'Mazzy', whoever that is, has things well under control.

Maiyn: I especially want to go now you've told me I don't want to.
Coran: Don't mind her, she likes being contrary.

Aerie: Do you have a choice? F-for me it was either this or shovelling away at the elephant dung for the rest of my life.

Xan: Apparently I did, but don't believe that for a second.

Aerie: Is... i-is he okay? I know he had a shock, but...

Tarant: I'd say this was one of his better days.

Xan: Hard to believe, but, yes, he's right.

Tarant: Excellent point. We all know life is unfair anyway.

Maiyn: Isn't it just? I didn't even get a cabin out of all this.

Aerie: Well... j-just because he appears an ogre on the outside doesn't necessarily make him a bad person.

Imoen: You sound like you're talking from experience.

:twisted: :twisted: ;)

That actually had me wiping tears from my eyes when I read it :D

Tarant: I imagine it would take time for them all to come around to the idea... but, gotta admit, as far as protectors go an ogre and his band seem a pretty good choice.

Maiyn: They seem loyal and fairly open, for ogres anyway. I think the village could do worse -- but then, it already has. Look at the minister!
Kivan: I think we're all clear on your thoughts on Minister Lloyd now.

Aerie: Why do people always want to fight? I think it's good that there was a peaceful solution for a change.

Korgan: We get nae experience from sittin' around talkin'!

Edwin: Erk... do you really have to? You could just get someone to play her some soothing music.

Jaheira: We haven't travelled with a bard since the Garrick incident...
Imoen: Oh, please, don't remind me.

Tarant: Well he's not a complete waste of air then.

Maiyn: Almost, though.

Aerie: Ah, that's good. I-I can't... I mean, I don't know how to properly... :)

Awww -- poor Aerie :)

Good chapter!

Thanks! And thanks for reading and commenting :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com