Ember's Tale 48: Sticks and Stones

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:20 AM

Chapter 48: Sticks and Stones

Imoen: Will break your bones but names will never hurt you!

Tarant: Thickie. You're Miss Thickety Thick from Thicksville.

Imoen: :shock: The rhyme lied..

I often think that is the half the point of the stupid rhyme :)

Aerie: Just be glad it isn't you out there.

Imoen: I wouldn't know what sparring with Jaheira's like to be honest.

Aerie: You're... still sending your simulacrum to do your training for you?

Imoen: Yup.

:lol:

"Um, you know. Stuff!" Imoen said lightly. She was not about to tell Edwin that Ember had seen a flaw in herself when she meditated; Ember had told Imoen and Kivan about that in private, and besides, Edwin would probably not understand at all. He'd probably be intrigued instead of worried, and he'd probably just try to push Ember into investigating the flaw some more. As far as Imoen was concerned, that was the last thing her friend needed right now.

Imoen: He's the worst possible person to confide in.

I imagine Korgan would be worse, though.

"A sling is a simple weapon," the elf said as they drew closer to the practice range, "but it can be devastating in skilled hands. I hope Ember takes to it."

Children used to use them in the middle ages to kill birds (Starlings and such), but it does take years of practice to hit anything with any accuracy. It's actually one of the most difficult ranged weapons, so why it's the only one available to mages ?

Because dice don't take true difficulty into account?

When I started planning this story, I considered having Ember use a sling as a backup weapon from the start to justify her knowing how to use it, but figured a warrior with a sling could be a bit of a giveaway of what I had in mind for her. So I gave her a bow and decided she'd be getting some intensive lessons for a while, and her now 19 dex will have to explain the rest. Of course, with how long she used the bow, she might as well have never had it in the first place and have had some slinging lessons as a small kid (hmm, maybe she did, just not from experts) :)

It will be quite a while till she can hit something the size of a bird, but I'll probably have her accurate enough for it to have some effect during combat in a couple weeks.

"I don't see the harm in having something else you can use besides the spells," Imoen said.

"You forget that I had something else until you insisted I give your friend my staff!" Edwin all but yelled.

Imoen: I'm sure he can find another one... and it will be longer too.

And with a knob on the end? :D

"Actually, it's kind of fun once you get the feel of it," Ember said.

Edwin: Burning those idiotic grins off the halflings faces would be a lot more fun.

Do I detect a slight pyromania?

Edwin hated the world.

Edwin: I know... it just wasn't meant for one as beautiful as you.

;)

"What, when I can just pester ol' Thalantyr till he tells me what his stuff is?" Imoen grinned lopsidedly. He hadn't quite been able to decide if he hated that grin or not. "That's not what I need help with. After all, we can't afford to buy everything he has."

Edwin: You could kill him and take it... yes, that should cheer Edwin up.

Your Edwin doesn't seem very LE to me, for some reason :)

Good chapter! Sorry I don't comment as much as I'd like. Lately I've been having trouble with internet connection.

I'm sorry to hear that, and thanks :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com