Reclaiming (Maiyn) - Chapter 15

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:34 PM

Apologies for posting so quickly, but I'm off to Edinburgh for the weekend to see my delightful parents-in-law, so I thought I'd post before I disappeared :twisted:

-----------------------

Secrets and Lies

-----------------------

"Are you hurt?"

Taar stirred slightly under her touch and Maiyn moved slightly back, not wishing to startle the boy as he returned to consciousness. Slowly he looked up, recognition crossing his face as his eyes managed to focus on her. She helped him to sit up and repeated her question.

"No... I'm fine," he said feebly. "I just feel a bit weak."

Maiyn nodded, and moved slightly so Minsc could get into the cell. With considerable ease, the berserker lifted Taar up into his arms and followed Maiyn back to the others. The fight had not been easy; Jaheira was still tending to Xan's wounds and Anomen had depleted his healing fully, only managing to cure the worst of the injuries both he and Kivan had incurred. Maiyn's efforts had been used on herself and Minsc, the berserker falling heavily at the end as his rage wore off and the full effect of the pain of the gashes and tears in his flesh took hold. She'd had difficulty just stopping the blood, putting her own broken arm aside as she murmured gently over the warrior's body.

But they had all survived, and the scars and wounds would heal. Conster had been a powerful mage, his magic giving him almost complete immunity to their attacks for several minutes while Xan desperately threw breaching and piercing spells. Just as he became vulnerable, Conster had managed to project another image of himself, then in turn made his true form invisible. The move caused confusion amongst the group, and allowed him to cast his most debilitating spells freely as they desperately tried to work out which figure was their true opponent -- even his reflection had magical capabilities, casting offensive spells at them which only served to add to their injuries.

At last, however, his repertoire was spent, and the party focussed on penetrating his stoneskin and clearing his mirror images before the pain of their wounds became too much. When his final defence was breached, he was killed easily -- Verya appeared from the shadows, sensing the troubles the party were having with their health, and aided with a ferocious attack that brought the mage down. The companions had collapsed with relief and pain, the healers trying to focus on their prayers to help both themselves and their comrades.

Jaheira helped Xan to his feet, and he limped over to Maiyn, a worried expression on his face as he looked at her arm, still hanging limply at her side. Jaheira tore some material from Conster's robe to make a crude sling, tying it around Maiyn's neck after ensuring her limb was supported. Maiyn just smiled weakly.

"I heard the bone breaking," said Xan quietly as their gaze met. He had been standing just behind the ranger when Conster's ice storm began -- she pushed Xan safely out of the range just before one of the huge hail stones dropped heavily onto her shoulder, causing her to fall awkwardly. As she tried to scramble to her feet her arm was hit again, neatly snapping the bone as her weight was pushing down on it.

"It will mend," she smiled. "We can rest at the cabin and heal ourselves properly. Then we can come back."

Xan's eyes widened. "You... are not joking, are you?"

"No," she admitted. "I will return and I will kill Firkraag. I won't make anyone come who doesn't want to -- my reasoning for coming back is purely personal, I admit that. I won't pretend, however, than I wouldn't find the backup extremely useful..."

"And there is no shame in coming back with bigger swords!" came Minsc's booming voice.

"Who needs a bigger sword when you've got ME!" replied Larry indignantly.

Xan groaned, and she lightly patted his shoulder with her unbroken arm. "You have time to think it over," she pointed out lightly, leading the group back up the stairs, and through the complex. They encountered only a handful of hobgoblins that were easily dispatched by Jaheira and Anomen and it was with relief that they exited the ruins, feeling the cool mountain air on their faces.

-----------------------

Maiyn spoke quietly to Jaheira as they returned to Garren's home, travelling slowly and reaching it just after night fell. Several horses were tethered outside, and Maiyn paused hesitantly. The Order had arrived.

"You know what to say?" she asked Jaheira quietly. The druid nodded. "Then I shall take a few moments with Anomen and Yoshimo."

Maiyn turned to the pair. "I need to talk to you both before we go in," she said. They nodded as Jaheira led the others inside, Garren's cry of joy over the return of his son escaping from one of the open windows. The ranger led the two men slightly further away from the cabin, and turned to face them as she tried to work out where to begin.

"Firstly," she said after a few moments of silence. "What the dragon said... it is true."

Yoshimo stood impassively, only nodding slightly, almost as if in politeness. Anomen looked slightly horrified.

"I am a Child of Bhaal. Bhaal is my father by blood, but that is all. I was brought up by Gorion, and to every extent and purpose, he is my father."

"Why didn't you tell us this before?" asked Anomen. He added a 'my lady' after a pause, almost as if it was an afterthought.

"I'd only just met you both," she said simply. "I can tell by your face," she said specifically to Anomen, "that you are judging me as we speak. If you had not had the chance to get to know me as you have, what impression would it have made? People already have decided how a Bhaalspawn should be and act. They will not give me the chance to be me and I cannot hope to break their perceived opinions because they have convinced themselves so well."

Anomen nodded slightly. "I would still rather have known," he admitted.

"You are a priest of Helm and will one day be a knight of the Order," said Maiyn gently; her confidence in his future caused him to flush slightly. "Of all the people I have met, you were probably the most likely to have a preconceived perception of me. And it would not be a favourable one -- I am still unsure if you have learned enough of me to accept me as me, rather than the figure of myth that seems to be believed in."

"I... I don't know, my lady," he admitted.

Maiyn turned to Yoshimo. "And you? You are being very quiet."

Yoshimo shrugged slightly. "We all have secrets," he said. "Your heritage is... interesting, but not overly concerning to me. Others trust you enough to follow you, and that is good enough for me."

Maiyn nodded, having expected the mercenary attitude. Her eyes went back to Anomen. "There is something else," she said, preparing for his outraged response. "When we go into see the knights, I will not be giving them my name." To her surprise, Anomen nodded.

"Given what... you are," he said carefully, "I would expect no less. I do not approve of such, but I can understand your reasoning. This may make things difficult, however."

Maiyn was slightly surprised by his reaction. "I have enjoyed travelling with you," she said sincerely to him. "The knights will hopefully look leniently on us when I face the dragon tomorrow, and I am sure they will provide you with a way to get back to the city." She turned to Yoshimo. "I am assuming you'll still continue to travel with us -- I would like it if you would, but of course, I will not be offended if you decide to leave as well."

"I am looking forward to a future in your company," said Yoshimo quietly. Maiyn nodded, and turned to go, but Anomen caught her arm.

"My lady," he began, sounding pained. "Are you asking me to leave your band?"

"Not asking, no," she said, puzzled by his question. "I thought-"

"Then," he interrupted, "can I ask you, as my leader, that you do not presume to think what I intend to do? This news... this news has certainly been a revelation, but I have seen nothing but good and kindness from you in the main. And if what you say is true, and you do intend to face Lord Firkraag in his present... state, then I believe you will need all the allies you can gather. Is that not so?"

"Well, yes," said Maiyn quietly. "You'll... really stay with us?"

"For now," replied Anomen honestly. "I have much to think over, but a rash decision would serve me no good. I need to prove myself to the Order, and it seems that I may have the best chance of doing that in your company for the meantime. I am prepared to put your heritage to one side as long as your intentions remain honourable, my lady. If you can accept me serving alongside you until Helm provides guidance on my predicament, I would be grateful."

"I would be pleased to have you stay with us," smiled Maiyn. "I truly would."

The priest smiled back to her, but his expression remained troubled, and together they returned to the cabin, entering quietly as a rejuvenated Taar told his father and the knights about Firkraag's true form. Garren gasped in horror, and the assembled knights wore grim expressions. When the boy had finished they turned to the newcomers.

"Squire Anomen," said their leader amiably, nodding to the cleric; he was a tall man in shining armour and a horned helmet, a pleasant smile adorning his face. Yoshimo slipped away to sit beside Minsc as Anomen uttered his own mumbled greeting back, following the thief as he looked for somewhere quiet to sit and gather his thoughts.

"You must be the party leader," continued the paladin, looking at Maiyn. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Verya. Your friend, Jaheira, informed us that you were someway behind the others."

Maiyn nodded, and returned his smile warily. Her eyes briefly flitted over to Minsc's confused expression, but Jaheira placed her hand on the berserker's arm and shook her head gently. "We did not wish to be followed by any minions of the dragon," she said innocently. "Thankfully we seem to have been ignored as we left."

The paladin nodded. "I am Sir Ajantis Ilvastarr, Knight of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart," he said formally. "These are my companions; Sir Lucas, Sir Aldus, Sir Niven and Sir Dorgin. You are aware why we have come here?"

Maiyn nodded. "You are investigating the deaths of your fellow members," she said quietly. "They fell by our hands. We have no wish to deny it."

Ajantis nodded sternly. "The squires who arrived at our headquarters to inform us mentioned something about them appearing as gnolls and orcs to you."

"They had those forms as we fought," explained Maiyn. "They were also aggressive towards us, unwilling to talk, and referred to us as 'creatures'. We believe they saw us as we saw them -- in the guise of hostile beasts who threatened them."

"I heard the fighting, and I can confirm this," said Garren. "At first it just looked like some savages fighting amongst themselves -- it was only as the last man fell that these folk changed back to how they are now, and the bodies on the ground turned back into knights."

Ajantis frowned. "Then there is indeed trickery going on," he said. "This Firkraag -- he was the one holding Garren's son?"

Maiyn nodded. "He allowed us to take Taar home if we defeated his pet mage. We did so, and as you can see, the battle took its toil."

"The Lady Jaheira informed us of the conflict," replied Ajantis. Jaheira frowned slightly at being called a lady, much to Maiyn's amusement -- the knight didn't notice however, seeming to be deep in thought.

"If I may," said Maiyn suddenly. "I intend to return to the ruins tomorrow and face Firkraag himself."

Garren's eyes opened wide at her words, but her companions sat calmly -- they'd all learned of her intention by now, and though Xan looked morose, he had resigned himself to the fact that Maiyn was not generally one to change her mind. Taar let out a gasp, the only noise to break the silence after her words.

"Your companions make little protest -- I assume you will be travelling together?" asked Ajantis.

Maiyn looked quickly to them, noting slight nods from each. "We shall," she said, smiling slightly in appreciation of their loyalty.

"You understand the difficulty you will face?" Ajantis was being deadly serious, and his eyes betrayed an underlying concern. "I mean no offence, my lady, but a dragon is a formidable foe. You have acquired some impressive items of equipment I see, but are you sure this is a battle you can gain a victory from?"

"I am sure," said Maiyn determinedly.

Ajantis nodded slowly. "Then I request that you allow us to travel with you and fight alongside you," he said. "You are only guilty of the murder of our members due to treachery, and so the Order will seek no ramification from you, except to insist that we aid in the delivering of justice to the creature that is truly responsible."

Maiyn hesitated slightly. She knew the help would be invaluable, but extra time spent amongst people she was trying to hide her identity from would be a gamble. A quick look to Xan's hopeful expression sealed her decision however. "We would be both honoured and thankful for your assistance," she said, suddenly feeling weary.

Ajantis beamed happily to her. "Then let us see to your remaining wounds so we can rest ready for tomorrow!" he exclaimed, his associates immediately tending to the wounds of her companions as Ajantis, himself, murmured some soothing words over her broken arm. She shot a worried look to Kivan, and he gave her a reassuring nod.

"Uuma dela," he muttered to her as he past, his hand squeezing her shoulder gently before he went outside. Don't worry.

-----------------------

That night, Maiyn dreamt. She was back in Candlekeep once more, within the hall of the great library. It was a place where she'd been taught the History of Faerun -- except she'd generally been distracted during her classes, and so very little of it had ever sunk in. Now it was the home to dozens of lifelike stone statues, and the mage known as Irenicus.

"Life is... strength," he said slowly, walking behind one of the desks that Maiyn had seen Parda sitting at so often. He spoke as if she was in one of her old lessons, as if she was there to learn. "This is not to be contested, it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world. But is it what you need? You are different inside."

A casual wave of his hand brought to life the woman standing nearest him. She blinked in confusion, taking in her surroundings as he spoke. "This woman lives, and has strength, of a sort. She lost her parents to plague, her husband to war, but she persevered. Her farm has prospered, her name is respected and her children are fed and safe. She lived as she thought she should." Irenicus walked calmly behind the dazed woman as he spoke, and just as easily as he'd brought her to life, he caused her final breath; a dazzling light emanating from his fingertips as he casually disintegrated her. Maiyn saw the look of horrified surprise on her face before she disappeared into dust.

"Now, she is dead," he remarked coldly.

Maiyn just gasped, looking around at the other figures. Would he do the same to them?

"Her land will be divided," he continued, returning to the table. "Her children will move on and she will be forgotten. She lived a 'good' life, but she had no power. She was a slave to death. I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadows of greater beings? You are born of murder, the very essence of which takes life. You have power, if you wish it."

His eyes seemed to light up as she met his gaze, expectantly waiting for her reaction. She felt repulsed to the core, sick to her being; but a tiny part of her pushed against the strong feelings. It felt alive, it was curious. It was tainted.

"I have no interest in the horrors you offer," she said forcefully. "None of this is to be believed!"

Irenicus arched his eyebrow. "Really? But the consequences are so very real." Another wave of his hand, and Imoen appeared in a flash. Her eyes looked pleadingly at Maiyn, but she remained silent. Maiyn returned her gaze helplessly.

"Your actions affect so many others than yourself," he continued. "You will come to realise how little choice you have. You will do what you must, or others will pay for your cowardice." His hand began moving again, and Maiyn tried to launch herself forward, but she was completely unable to move.

"You will accept the gifts offered to you," he stated coldly, impassive to Imoen's falling form as her screams of pain echoed around the high-ceilinged room.

It was then that Maiyn awoke, tears streaming down her face, her breathing rapid and shallow. She had opted to sleep outdoors, in the cool evening air, to leave more room inside for the knights and the members of her party who preferred a roof over their heads. A quick glance around showed that she hadn't managed to disturb Kivan, Jaheira or Minsc, and she closed her eyes with relief, taking deep breaths to try and control her emotions.

Before long she slipped back into a restless slumber.

-----------------------

Most of the companions travelled behind knights the next morning, as they were led up to the hills by Jaheira well before dawn broke. Maiyn trailed at the back, having sent Verya away in the early morning until the members of the Order had disappeared. Minsc was now aware that they were not to find out her real name in case her location became common knowledge, and anyone working with her previous captor heard of her whereabouts. He had nodded, but to be on the safe side, Maiyn had exiled her cat so that there would be no name confusion from anyone.

Xan drifted back, walking alongside her in silence for a few minutes. She offered him a weak smile in return, but his gloomy expression stayed with him.

"Are you sure this is wise?" he eventually asked.

"No," admitted Maiyn, causing him to blink in surprise.

"But you still intend to do it?"

"Yes."

The enchanter sighed and drifted away, returning to his place beside Kivan. Within moments, his place was taken by Anomen, who was looking at her curiously.

"My lady, I have to say that I am not comfortable with knowingly misleading the Order regarding your name," he said quietly.

Maiyn sighed. "I was surprised when you didn't seem bothered," she said. "I assumed it was down to the shock of the news."

"I think it likely was," admitted the squire. "I... I find myself in a difficult situation. I do not wish to betray your confidence, however."

"If it helps, then perhaps you can pretend you only know me as Verya?" she suggested. "If they ever do find out my true identity and recall you adventuring with me, would it be so hard for them to accept I misled you as I am misleading them?"

"I... I imagine not," Anomen replied hesitantly. "But, my lady, the Order is a righteous organisation, and they would not strike out at you merely for your heritage."

Maiyn laughed lightly. "Perhaps not, dear Anomen, but the very fact they are righteous does not bid well for me to proclaim to them that I am a child of the God of Murder, does it?"

Anomen looked sceptical. "Most would probably not even know your name," he muttered.

"I agree," said Maiyn. "But what happens when bards and minstrels from the north arrive in Amn? What of the paladins who were sent for by Baldur's Gate to act as emissaries in the aftermath of Sarevok's attempted war? It is merely a matter of time until my name is heard of, and already the hatred for people of my heritage grows. Then they would remember meeting me, they would remember me travelling with you; they may well then imagine you would have known about my background since you knew of my real identity. They would know how to find me if I still shared your company. I... I would just prefer to keep myself to myself. Can you understand that?"

Anomen sighed. "I can understand, my lady."

"I only want to rescue my sister, to leave here, to go somewhere where we can be safe," said Maiyn quietly. "I do not share the sentiments that Sarevok had regarding the taint. I just want to live as normal a life as I can."

Anomen nodded, but was quiet as he marched forward, catching up with the other members of the Order. His mood seemed to lighten, though, as engaged Sir Aldus in conversation, and Maiyn became aware of yet another figure walking alongside her. Jaheira had dropped back from the fore of the group, leaving Kivan to lead for the final leg.

"Are you so naive you believe you can lead a normal life after this?" The question was blunt but not unkind.

"No," said the ranger honestly, avoiding the druid's keen gaze. "I know it's unlikely I will ever have anything even remotely resembling normality, but I can dream about it, and wish for it, can't I?"

Jaheira said nothing, and they walked together in a comfortable silence for several minutes, the birdsong ringing out around them as they marched through the forest trail towards the gradual incline of the hills where the ruins lay.

"Even if there is a conclusion to this," said Jaheira suddenly, softly, "and even if you manage to get through it... people will not forget where you came from."

"Candlekeep?" asked Maiyn with a small grin. The druid tried to look stern, but a smile spread across her face.

"You know what I refer to," Jaheira said dryly. "Some things will never leave you. No matter what the outcome may be in the end."

Maiyn nodded, and they fell into a silence which lasted all the way to the temple entrance. They entered slowly, making their way through the warren of passages that led to the stairs down into the heart of the lair. Resistance was minimal; the orcs were no match for the disciplined knights and Maiyn's group found themselves with little to do as Sir Ajantis directed his men with an enthusiasm that was tiring just to watch. Anomen fought alongside them, fitting into their style perfectly and as they walked along the last of the corridors Maiyn drew him to the side.

"I think it would be best if you fell under Ajantis' command for the battle," she said quietly.

He looked at her questioningly. "My lady?"

"I mean no slight by it," she explained, quickly. "Having watched you fight with the paladins though... so much order and organisation! I'm nowhere near as skilled as a leader, and I think you would be best working with the Order to make the most of your ability." She spoke completely honestly, and he was able to sense the sincerity in her words.

"If you think it is for the best, my lady" he nodded. "If at any point you feel you need me, however-"

"Then I will shout, and hope you can hear me over the roaring of an irate dragon," grinned Maiyn. He smiled back, and the two followed their companions as they entered the prison, pausing at the top of the final flight of steps that led to their battlefield.

Maiyn quickly checked that her group were ready, allowing Xan time to peruse his spells and cast the preparations he deemed necessary. He was still refusing to talk much, his expression speaking volumes to compensate. Yet still he followed them, and walked into a fight he believed they were doomed to lose. She knew better than to doubt his loyalty.

Eventually everyone was ready. Maiyn took a deep breath and walked down the stairs, her companions behind her. Ajantis was by her side, and his men followed him in a solitary line, Anomen somewhere in the middle; a proud figure as he strode alongside Minsc. Firkraag raised his head as he saw them coming, and a loud chuckle rumbled around them.

"So you have returned," he said.

"I told you I would," said Maiyn quickly, deciding that conversation was a bad idea considering her current companions. "We shall avenge those who died due to your petty games!"

"We shall see!" roared the dragon, drawing itself up to its full height as Ajantis barked his orders to his men. Maiyn did likewise; signalling for Xan to stay by the stairs, approaching only when he needed the range for casting, directing Kivan and Yoshimo to opposite sides of the beast in the hopes that some of the limited magical arrows they'd shared would be able to cause some harm. Then with a cry, she called for Jaheira and Minsc to follow her, and she charged at the beast that stood before its hoard, her heart racing wildly.

-----------------------

Many leagues away, an elf lay atop his bed in reverie, oblivious to the sun that was beginning to pour in the uncovered window of his inn room. His memories were sweet, of times past that would have made him smile fondly had they been from conscious thought. Suddenly, he was torn from them aggressively, as a feeling ripped through his being, causing a sensation of excitement that bordered on blind panic.

He sat up sharply, his breath laboured as he struggled to control the inexplicable rush. It took a few minutes for the effect to fully leave him, and he was left feeling empty and desolate. Desperately, he reached out to try and find any continuation of the emotion; but his efforts were futile, and he collapsed back onto the mattress, suddenly exhausted and distressed.

"Oh Hanali, please watch over her," Coran whispered hoarsely.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:31 AM

But they had all survived, and the scars and wounds would heal. Conster had been a powerful mage, his magic giving him almost complete immunity to their attacks for several minutes while Xan desperately threw breaching and piercing spells. Just as he became vulnerable, Conster had managed to project another image of himself, then in turn made his true form invisible. The move caused confusion amongst the group, and allowed him to cast his most debilitating spells freely as they desperately tried to work out which figure was their true opponent -- even his reflection had magical capabilities, casting offensive spells at them which only served to add to their injuries.

Ouch… yeah, mages need to be put down quickly, or else they will cause a lot of harm. And this probably means no attempts at Firkraag today.

"No," she admitted. "I will return and I will kill Firkraag. I won't make anyone come who doesn't want to -- my reasoning for coming back is purely personal, I admit that. I won't pretend, however, than I wouldn't find the backup extremely useful..."

Maybe get a few more levels before coming back, though? Lately I’ve been leaving this guy for post-Spellhold, and then he’s a joke. :)

Maiyn spoke quietly to Jaheira as they returned to Garren's home, travelling slowly and reaching it just after night fell. Several horses were tethered outside, and Maiyn paused hesitantly. The Order had arrived.

Good thing they managed to save the kid, too, otherwise I don’t want to think what might have happened.

"I'd only just met you both," she said simply. "I can tell by your face," she said specifically to Anomen, "that you are judging me as we speak. If you had not had the chance to get to know me as you have, what impression would it have made? People already have decided how a Bhaalspawn should be and act. They will not give me the chance to be me and I cannot hope to break their perceived opinions because they have convinced themselves so well."

Yes, and Maiyn has experienced that before, and will see that happen countless many times in the future, sadly…

Yoshimo shrugged slightly. "We all have secrets," he said. "Your heritage is... interesting, but not overly concerning to me. Others trust you enough to follow you, and that is good enough for me."

Very much how I imagine Yoshimo’s attitude to be, yeah.

"For now," replied Anomen honestly. "I have much to think over, but a rash decision would serve me no good. I need to prove myself to the Order, and it seems that I may have the best chance of doing that in your company for the meantime. I am prepared to put your heritage to one side as long as your intentions remain honourable, my lady. If you can accept me serving alongside you until Helm provides guidance on my predicament, I would be grateful."

Aww, Anomen can be such a nice guy… sometimes. :twisted:

"You must be the party leader," continued the paladin, looking at Maiyn. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Verya. Your friend, Jaheira, informed us that you were someway behind the others."

Hopefully nobody is casting Detect Lies at the time. :roll:

The paladin nodded. "I am Sir Ajantis Ilvastarr, Knight of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart," he said formally. "These are my companions; Sir Lucas, Sir Aldus, Sir Niven and Sir Dorgin. You are aware why we have come here?"

Ajantis? Aww, but you were supposed to be… oh, nevermind. :)

"The Lady Jaheira informed us of the conflict," replied Ajantis. Jaheira frowned slightly at being called a lady, much to Maiyn's amusement -- the knight didn't notice however, seeming to be deep in thought.

Nonsense, she just pretends she doesn’t like it. ;)

Ajantis nodded slowly. "Then I request that you allow us to travel with you and fight alongside you," he said. "You are only guilty of the murder of our members due to treachery, and so the Order will seek no ramification from you, except to insist that we aid in the delivering of justice to the creature that is truly responsible."

Oh goodie, more meat shields – the paladins are finally going to make themselves useful! :D

A casual wave of his hand brought to life the woman standing nearest him. She blinked in confusion, taking in her surroundings as he spoke. "This woman lives, and has strength, of a sort. She lost her parents to plague, her husband to war, but she persevered. Her farm has prospered, her name is respected and her children are fed and safe. She lived as she thought she should." Irenicus walked calmly behind the dazed woman as he spoke, and just as easily as he'd brought her to life, he caused her final breath; a dazzling light emanating from his fingertips as he casually disintegrated her. Maiyn saw the look of horrified surprise on her face before she disappeared into dust.

Very powerful dream, this one, I really enjoyed it in the game.

"Her land will be divided," he continued, returning to the table. "Her children will move on and she will be forgotten. She lived a 'good' life, but she had no power. She was a slave to death. I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadows of greater beings? You are born of murder, the very essence of which takes life. You have power, if you wish it."

He does speak of tempting things, but at the same time, my characters have always been too terrified to even listen into what he offers. :)

Most of the companions travelled behind knights the next morning, as they were led up to the hills by Jaheira well before dawn broke. Maiyn trailed at the back, having sent Verya away in the early morning until the members of the Order had disappeared. Minsc was now aware that they were not to find out her real name in case her location became common knowledge, and anyone working with her previous captor heard of her whereabouts. He had nodded, but to be on the safe side, Maiyn had exiled her cat so that there would be no name confusion from anyone.

Aww, poor kitty! Many treats will be necessary to make up later!

And I hope Boo can keep Minsc from disclosing Maiyn’s real name!

"My lady, I have to say that I am not comfortable with knowingly misleading the Order regarding your name," he said quietly.

I thought we sort of discussed that yesterday and you accepted it?

"I... I imagine not," Anomen replied hesitantly. "But, my lady, the Order is a righteous organisation, and they would not strike out at you merely for your heritage."

You cannot be absolutely sure of that, alas…

"I only want to rescue my sister, to leave here, to go somewhere where we can be safe," said Maiyn quietly. "I do not share the sentiments that Sarevok had regarding the taint. I just want to live as normal a life as I can."

Ah. :) So much to be done before you can enjoy that, Maiyn.

Anomen nodded, but was quiet as he marched forward, catching up with the other members of the Order. His mood seemed to lighten, though, as engaged Sir Aldus in conversation, and Maiyn became aware of yet another figure walking alongside her. Jaheira had dropped back from the fore of the group, leaving Kivan to lead for the final leg.

Golly… what is it with everyone wanting a chat now? :D

"Are you so naive you believe you can lead a normal life after this?" The question was blunt but not unkind.

Sigh.

We love you Jaheira, but… sigh. :)

"You know what I refer to," Jaheira said dryly. "Some things will never leave you. No matter what the outcome may be in the end."

Theo: That’s true… but legends fade over the years, new heroes step up to take your place and if you keep a low profile… you can manage to lead a life that can almost be called normal.

"I mean no slight by it," she explained, quickly. "Having watched you fight with the paladins though... so much order and organisation! I'm nowhere near as skilled as a leader, and I think you would be best working with the Order to make the most of your ability." She spoke completely honestly, and he was able to sense the sincerity in her words.

That would make sense, considering how much time they put into their drills. However, Maiyn’s party make-up allows for much more flexibility in tactics, which is often more advantageous.

"We shall see!" roared the dragon, drawing itself up to its full height as Ajantis barked his orders to his men. Maiyn did likewise; signalling for Xan to stay by the stairs, approaching only when he needed the range for casting, directing Kivan and Yoshimo to opposite sides of the beast in the hopes that some of the limited magical arrows they'd shared would be able to cause some harm. Then with a cry, she called for Jaheira and Minsc to follow her, and she charged at the beast that stood before its hoard, her heart racing wildly.

Yeehaa! Kick his scaly ass! :D

He sat up sharply, his breath laboured as he struggled to control the inexplicable rush. It took a few minutes for the effect to fully leave him, and he was left feeling empty and desolate. Desperately, he reached out to try and find any continuation of the emotion; but his efforts were futile, and he collapsed back onto the mattress, suddenly exhausted and distressed.

Wow… amazing, but I don’t feel up for a snarky comment… :D

#3 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:40 PM

Taar stirred slightly under her touch and Maiyn moved slightly back, not wishing to startle the boy as he returned to consciousness. Slowly he looked up, recognition crossing his face as his eyes managed to focus on her. She helped him to sit up and repeated her question.

At least he's not hitting on her, as the gender-depends-on-PC's-gender set-up implies should happen. :)

"I heard the bone breaking," said Xan quietly as their gaze met. He had been standing just behind the ranger when Conster's ice storm began -- she pushed Xan safely out of the range just before one of the huge hail stones dropped heavily onto her shoulder, causing her to fall awkwardly. As she tried to scramble to her feet her arm was hit again, neatly snapping the bone as her weight was pushing down on it.

Grlgngh.

No, of course not.

"You know what to say?" she asked Jaheira quietly. The druid nodded. "Then I shall take a few moments with Anomen and Yoshimo."

Bets, anyone? Yoshi doesn't care (of course, we all know why), but Ano's kinda squicked out by it. Who wants a go? :)

Yoshimo stood impassively, only nodding slightly, almost as if in politeness. Anomen looked slightly horrified.

Whooo! Aw, yeah, who's psychic?

:roll:

"Why didn't you tell us this before?" asked Anomen. He added a 'my lady' after a pause, almost as if it was an afterthought.

"My lady" is like a period to Ano. ;)

Which is actually a pretty reasonable opinion, but you mightn't have been reasonable about the actual Bhaalspawn-ness.

Not that you have a choice, eh, Yoshi?

But if she goes postal, you won't hesitate to... run away? :)

Hi, Ajantis! :D Aren't you glad your nice author didn't kill you off? And you seem fairly tolerable so far, so... so am I!

:)

But Jaheira, you're once, twice, three times a lady! *runs*

Garren's eyes opened wide at her words, but her companions sat calmly -- they'd all learned of her intention by now, and though Xan looked morose, he had resigned himself to the fact that Maiyn was not generally one to change her mind. Taar let out a gasp, the only noise to break the silence after her words.

Xan always has to go for the stubborn ones, doesn't he? Poor, stupid elf.

Maiyn hesitated slightly. She knew the help would be invaluable, but extra time spent amongst people she was trying to hide her identity from would be a gamble. A quick look to Xan's hopeful expression sealed her decision however. "We would be both honoured and thankful for your assistance," she said, suddenly feeling weary.

Whoa, Xan looking hopeful? :twisted: Who are you and what've you done with Xan?? Do this Xan have that birthmark on his back? Take off your robes, Xan!

... :D

"Life is... strength," he said slowly, walking behind one of the desks that Maiyn had seen Parda sitting at so often. He spoke as if she was in one of her old lessons, as if she was there to learn. "This is not to be contested, it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world. But is it what you need? You are different inside."

Ooh, I really liked this dream, too... it was so spooky!

Xan drifted back, walking alongside her in silence for a few minutes. She offered him a weak smile in return, but his gloomy expression stayed with him.

Darn, he's back to normal.

Um... I don't suppose you'd consider the robes anyway, Xan? :)

Which, under the circumstances, is... very not normal.

"Then I will shout, and hope you can hear me over the roaring of an irate dragon," grinned Maiyn. He smiled back, and the two followed their companions as they entered the prison, pausing at the top of the final flight of steps that led to their battlefield.

Only if you've got a battlefield voice, Maiyn. :D

Um, eek. Yes, eek.

D'aww. Don't worry, Coran, if she snuffs it you've always got Nalia and Aerie.

I mean, um, she'll be fine. Yeah. :D

#4 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:37 AM

Maiyn nodded, and moved slightly so Minsc could get into the cell. With considerable ease, the berserker lifted Taar up into his arms and followed Maiyn back to the others. The fight had not been easy; Jaheira was still tending to Xan's wounds and Anomen had depleted his healing fully, only managing to cure the worst of the injuries both he and Kivan had incurred. Maiyn's efforts had been used on herself and Minsc, the berserker falling heavily at the end as his rage wore off and the full effect of the pain of the gashes and tears in his flesh took hold. She'd had difficulty just stopping the blood, putting her own broken arm aside as she murmured gently over the warrior's body.

It's a very good thing that Minsc doesn't do that too often :D

(And putting her broken arm aside... gave me an odd mental image :D )

I should imagine so! :twisted:

"And there is no shame in coming back with bigger swords!" came Minsc's booming voice.

:D

"Firstly," she said after a few moments of silence. "What the dragon said... it is true."

I like their reactions :)

Because not everyone shares their life history the moment they meet.

Maiyn nodded, having expected the mercenary attitude. Her eyes went back to Anomen. "There is something else," she said, preparing for his outraged response. "When we go into see the knights, I will not be giving them my name." To her surprise, Anomen nodded.

And so Ajantis will not be able to tell Coran who he met.

Your Anomen is wiser than his first impression made him appear :)

"You understand the difficulty you will face?" Ajantis was being deadly serious, and his eyes betrayed an underlying concern. "I mean no offence, my lady, but a dragon is a formidable foe. You have acquired some impressive items of equipment I see, but are you sure this is a battle you can gain a victory from?"

Well, it's nice that she's confident...

I think that's for the best :)

It is a dragon, after all!

"You will accept the gifts offered to you," he stated coldly, impassive to Imoen's falling form as her screams of pain echoed around the high-ceilinged room.

;)

"If it helps, then perhaps you can pretend you only know me as Verya?" she suggested. "If they ever do find out my true identity and recall you adventuring with me, would it be so hard for them to accept I misled you as I am misleading them?"

Clever girl :D

Many leagues away, an elf lay atop his bed in reverie, oblivious to the sun that was beginning to pour in the uncovered window of his inn room. His memories were sweet, of times past that would have made him smile fondly had they been from conscious thought. Suddenly, he was torn from them aggressively, as a feeling ripped through his being, causing a sensation of excitement that bordered on blind panic.

:roll:

#5 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

Ouch… yeah, mages need to be put down quickly, or else they will cause a lot of harm. And this probably means no attempts at Firkraag today.

Nope -- rest and recover and regroup. Lots of re's! :(

Maybe get a few more levels before coming back, though? Lately I’ve been leaving this guy for post-Spellhold, and then he’s a joke. :(

Hehehe, the last game I played, I completely forgot to rescue Aerie until I came back from Spellhold and it was so stupidly easy for my 6 extremely hard and levelled up people :lol: Compared to going straight in there -- even before the Adventurer's Mart - Ring of Human Influence!!

Good thing they managed to save the kid, too, otherwise I don’t want to think what might have happened.

Yeah. Firkraag's not the most pleasant of creatures.

Yes, and Maiyn has experienced that before, and will see that happen countless many times in the future, sadly…

Oh, no doubt. That's why she tries to keep this bubble around her, believing that noone will know who she is unless she *tells* them. Unfortunately, that's not how most of the world works :shock:

Very much how I imagine Yoshimo’s attitude to be, yeah.

Yeah :lol:

Aww, Anomen can be such a nice guy… sometimes. :shock:

I think he can be, it's just encouraging that nicer side to come out :lol: Plus, I couldn't stand to write a horrible Anomen, because I do quite like him as a character when I think of his good points :lol:

Hopefully nobody is casting Detect Lies at the time. :evil:

*sniggers*

Ajantis? Aww, but you were supposed to be… oh, nevermind. :(

Ajantis: *worried look*

Nonsense, she just pretends she doesn’t like it. :lol:

Jaheira: That is nonsense. I think such ways of addressing people are not needed, especially not in my case.

Oh goodie, more meat shields – the paladins are finally going to make themselves useful! :(

Maiyn: Ho yes!
Ajantis: Er...
Maiyn *ahem* I mean, your skills will prove to be invaluable...

Very powerful dream, this one, I really enjoyed it in the game.

Me too. I think this was my favourite dream of all of them, also because it actually involves you and lets you make an almost conscious decision about what motivates your character. David warner's voice is just perfect in it, too -- he does sound pretty much like he's lecturing and giving out examples. We watched 'Hornblower' at the weekend and everytime he spoke in it (as the ship's captain) I kept muttering 'You will ALL suffer!' much to my in-laws annoyance :D

He does speak of tempting things, but at the same time, my characters have always been too terrified to even listen into what he offers. :lol:

He does -- he almost tries to coax you into considering them, but I think most people would be too terrified to want to understand what was going on :)

Aww, poor kitty! Many treats will be necessary to make up later!

Minsc: As long as they are not Boo-shaped!

And I hope Boo can keep Minsc from disclosing Maiyn’s real name!

Minsc: Boo says that Minsc may not understand why little Maiyn is being called her little cat's name, but that it is very important Minsc does not draw attention to this at all. So Minsc will do what Minsc does best, and merely kick the butt of evil!

I thought we sort of discussed that yesterday and you accepted it?

Maiyn: Men, huh?

You cannot be absolutely sure of that, alas…

Not at all.

Ah. :( So much to be done before you can enjoy that, Maiyn.

Yep :( But there's also plenty of time for her to change her mind about what she wants.

Golly… what is it with everyone wanting a chat now? :D

Maiyn: I know! Can a girl not get some peace?!

Sigh.

We love you Jaheira, but… sigh. :lol:

Awww, she means well :) She's just being protective and making sure Maiyn's not stupid enough to think that when they reach Imoen, she can go off and be 'normal' and pretend people don't know who or what she is all the time, since she will, if possible, just stick her head in the sand.

Theo: That’s true… but legends fade over the years, new heroes step up to take your place and if you keep a low profile… you can manage to lead a life that can almost be called normal.

Yeah, when the essence is gone :) Right now, that's not even a possibility for her, so as far as they know, the rest of her days will be drawn out as a Bhaalspawn with people slowly finding out what she is if she settles someplace, and 'siblings' always on the horizon.

That would make sense, considering how much time they put into their drills. However, Maiyn’s party make-up allows for much more flexibility in tactics, which is often more advantageous.

Yep. She's feeling a bit detached from Anomen since the paladins arrived, so letting him work with them is easier for her, since everyone else (excepting Yoshimo who does what he wants...) has been with her long enough to not even need orders -- they just do what they want.

Yeehaa! Kick his scaly ass! :D

Minsc: RAAAARGH!

Wow… amazing, but I don’t feel up for a snarky comment… :(

Woot! You don't utterly hate this Coran, though, which is quite something :D

Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

#6 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:08 PM

At least he's not hitting on her, as the gender-depends-on-PC's-gender set-up implies should happen. :)

Hee, yeah! But despite being an elf, Maiyn's not exactly the sort of girl who'd attract attention like that :lol: The layers of dirt and grime and stuff sort of detract from that :lol:

Grlgngh.

No, of course not.

Maiyn: Well, I'm honest! ...sometimes...

Bets, anyone? Yoshi doesn't care (of course, we all know why), but Ano's kinda squicked out by it. Who wants a go? :)

:shock:

Whooo! Aw, yeah, who's psychic?

:evil:

Maiyn: Whoa! I need you in my party! Now!

"My lady" is like a period to Ano. :lol:

Hehehe! That's always how I see it -- like his natural way to end a sentence, or begin one when he's struggling for words :(

Which is actually a pretty reasonable opinion, but you mightn't have been reasonable about the actual Bhaalspawn-ness.

Yeah -- it's a bit unfair to not have told him, but on the other hand, she's not gonna introduce herself as 'Maiyn, (one of many)daughter(s) of Bhaal" :(

Not that you have a choice, eh, Yoshi?

Yoshimo: *furtive look*

But if she goes postal, you won't hesitate to... run away? :(

Anomen: Well, ah, er, now you've mentioned it, hmm, no. Ah, my lady.

Hi, Ajantis! :( Aren't you glad your nice author didn't kill you off? And you seem fairly tolerable so far, so... so am I!

Ajantis: I am quite glad, but since she's made a significant part of her future plot involve me and me not dying, she didn't have much choice!

:lol:

But Jaheira, you're once, twice, three times a lady! *runs*

Jaheira: Come back here so I can show you the power of call lightning!

Xan always has to go for the stubborn ones, doesn't he? Poor, stupid elf.

Xan: There's no point. I don't know why I bother.

Whoa, Xan looking hopeful? :shock: Who are you and what've you done with Xan?? Do this Xan have that birthmark on his back? Take off your robes, Xan!

... :(

Xan: Er... no offence, but... well, no. Excuse me! *run*

Ooh, I really liked this dream, too... it was so spooky!

Yeah! :( Was my favourite dream of the whole lot :(

Darn, he's back to normal.

Um... I don't suppose you'd consider the robes anyway, Xan? :lol:

Xan: Absolutely not!

Which, under the circumstances, is... very not normal.

Maiyn: Woe is meeeeee.

Only if you've got a battlefield voice, Maiyn. :D

Coran: I don't know, she can be quite loud when she wants to be...
Maiyn: CORAN!!
Coran: See?

Um, eek. Yes, eek.

Firkraag: Puny humans, come to your death! (or something)

D'aww. Don't worry, Coran, if she snuffs it you've always got Nalia and Aerie.

Coran: *frown* Once, not too long ago, that would have been comforting...

I mean, um, she'll be fine. Yeah. :lol:

*grins*

#7 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

It's a very good thing that Minsc doesn't do that too often :(

It is! He really only gets that bad when things get tough.

(And putting her broken arm aside... gave me an odd mental image :lol: )

*grins* Now you've mentioned it, me too :lol:

I should imagine so! :shock:

Maiyn: Well, I'm this is my first dragon, so I should really take my friends with me until I get used to it all....

Hee :D

I like their reactions :)

You can just see them, standing side by side; one calm and collected, not too bothered at all, and the other looking like his whole world has fallen apart and he's desperately trying not to give it away :)

Because not everyone shares their life history the moment they meet.

Yoshimo: They don't? Hmm, better reconsider my way of questioning...

And so Ajantis will not be able to tell Coran who he met.

Tum ti tum...

Though, if Ajantis was really paying attention, he'd pick up the other names and maybe recognise some from before. As it is though, he's wholly consumed by his Order business and isn't really expecting to be dealing with anyone important, let alone anyone he's said he'll keep an eye out for :)

Your Anomen is wiser than his first impression made him appear :(

I think he should be a bit wise :( Sometimes a bit quick to speak or act, or impatient or frustrated, but when the time calls for it, he has the potential to show some wisdom :(

Well, it's nice that she's confident...

Maiyn: Not really, but Xan might wet himself if I say anything different...

I think that's for the best :(

I'm sure they all agree :lol:

It is a dragon, after all!

:evil:

:(

Clever girl :(

Maiyn: Erm, only sometimes... I have a rather low int score :lol:

:shock:

*nod*

:D Poor ikkle Coran :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com