Ember's Tale 47: What Lies Within

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

Chapter 47: What Lies Within

Ember sat with her back against a tree on the outskirts of Gullykin. The halflings had proven to be excellent hosts; they'd been treated almost like family when they arrived the previous evening. Mayor Gandolar had taken them to dinner in his own home, where they'd been fed meat and tubers and creamy sauces and apple preserves. After that, they'd been shown to a halfling house - or burrow, as it was called - where there were eight freshly made beds, long enough for even Minsc. Alora told them that this was the guest burrow.

It was hard to figure out exactly how Alora related to her uncle Gandolar. He was not her uncle in the true sense of the word, but merely an extended relative; Alora's father's cousin's sister's something. Gandolar and Alora had tried to explain, but nobody, not even Edwin, had been able to keep track of the genealogical twists.

Jaheira approached. Seeing the older druid, Ember stood up from the ground and brushed dirt off her clothes.

"Good morning, child," Jaheira said.

"Good morning."

"Today I will teach you how to fight with that staff of yours. It is a good weapon, but it is wasted as a walking stick, and the way you carried it in the forest indicates a lack of familiarity with it. Have you ever tried fighting with a staff?"

Ember cringed inwardly. "Not really," she said slowly. "I practiced with Minsc a few times when we got that staff, but then we met Edwin, and I gave it to him instead."

"I can imagine the wizard used it as little as you do," Jaheira said. "I know you were a swordfighter, and scimitars would at least hold some familiarity for you. If you wish, I could teach you how to use those instead of the staff."

"No!" Ember said. "Er, I'd prefer just using a staff for now," she continued hurriedly.

Jaheira raised an eyebrow. "Child, what is wrong?" she asked.

"Nothing's wrong!"

"Why this reluctance? From what I have heard of the hero of Nashkel and Cloakwood, I'd have thought you would look forward to learning how to fight with druidic weaponry."

"I... I'd just rather learn the other stuff first," Ember said, without conviction.

"Child, I cannot help you if you do not tell me the truth," Jaheira said.

Ember stared at the ground, feeling her cheeks redden.

"I do not have time for such foolishness," Jaheira said. "Tell me the problem when you feel ready, and I will help you." The older druid turned and walked back into the village.

---

"You're being buffle headed," Imoen said when Ember finished. The two girls were sitting on their newly-made beds; scurrying halfling women had already replaced the sheets they'd slept in with fresh, crisp linens.

"But I don't think she'll understand!" Ember said plaintively.

"You'll never know till you try, Em," Imoen said, fixing her with a stern gaze. Ember felt like she was being scolded by an elderly tutor.

"What if she thinks there's something wrong with me?"

"She already does, remember? She just doesn't know what." Imoen reached out and gave Ember's hand a gentle squeeze. "I know you're worried, but I'm sure you'll be able to fight properly again. You just have to tell yourself that."

"I guess..."

"Remember why you did this. You wanted to fix yourself, right? That means fixing all of yourself, including the fighting, and not running away from the difficult bits."

Ember nodded quietly.

"Go talk with her," Imoen said. "You don't have to tell her about everything, you know. But you do have to tell her about that stuff."

"You're right," Ember said after a long pause. She stood up and hugged Imoen. "Thanks, Immy. I'll go and try to explain to her now."

"Shoo," Imoen said, grinning broadly and making shoving gestures.

---

Jaheira was walking through a meadow south of the village; every now and then, she bent down to pick a herb, which she placed in a flat wicker basket that stood nearby. Ember slowly walked up to her. "Um, Jaheira?" she said.

"Yes, child?" Jaheira said without turning around.

"About the fighting... I'm scared."

Jaheira turned to face her. "Why, child?"

"I... I liked it too much. That's why I had to stop. There's a part of me that likes killing people, cutting them up and watching them bleed, and I'm afraid of feeling that way again the next time I have to fight something," she said, staring at the ground.

"And a scimitar being similar to a sword makes it even more frightening?" Jaheira asked.

"I think so."

"Look me in the eyes, child," Jaheira said. Ember obeyed, and the half-elf studied her closely. "Do you like killing?" she asked.

"No!" Ember exclaimed. "I... there was a bandit camp. I slaughtered everyone in a tent. A score or so bandits, and I was laughing. It just felt easier and easier to kill, and then... it became difficult not to. That's why I got rid of my sword; it was enchanted and wanted to kill, so it only made things worse," she said miserably. "I didn't like it at all. I hated who I was becoming, and what I was doing. I kept having dreams about all the blood I couldn't wash off my hands. They've stopped now, though."

"Tell me more about that sword."

"It was made by Sharrans. Imoen said its first owner had been betrayed, and that rumour said the sword wanted vengeance. I didn't really believe it at first, but towards the end, I could feel it. I had Minsc destroy it."

"Did you ever kill an innocent person?"

"No. I never attacked anyone without a reason."

"That is good," Jaheira said quietly. "Child, you are not the first person who has felt bloodlust, and you will not be the last. Many surrender to it and become berserkers; you have fought it. I am proud of you. However, you have not beaten it. Right now, you fear to take up arms against anything. That will not do. "

"I know."

Jaheira picked up her herb basket. "Come with me," she said, and headed towards the village.

The two druids walked through the main cluster of burrows, not stopping until they stood in front of the winery. It was a round and clad with ivy, just like the burrows, but it was three times as large as any other building in the village. In addition to the production and storage of a myriad of wines, the building also functioned as an infirmary.

"Wait here," Jaheira said, and entered the winery. She returned a few minutes later, holding two plain wooden staves instead of the herb basket, and led Ember behind the building and a short way into the woods. They stopped in a circular meadow that was completely ringed by sturdy trees. The grass was short and the ground was flat, and a few targets - some bull's eyes, some humanoid dummies of varying size - at one end of the meadow.

"The halflings use this field for weapons practice," Jaheira said, and handed Ember one of the staves.

"First, you must hold the staff as a weapon, not as a walking aid," Jaheira said. Ember shifted her grip on the staff, holding it with both hands and with one end raised. Jaheira adjusted the position of Ember's hands. "Like this. It gives more control and better balance," she said, and grabbed the other staff in a similar fashion.

"Now what?" Ember asked pensively.

"We are not going to fight each other today. I am going to show you the basic ways to hit with a staff, and you are going to practice them, but you will only strike at air. Are you ready?"

"I guess so," Ember said. Jaheira raised her staff.

The rest of the day was spent practicing blows against non-existant foes. Jaheira showed Ember high strikes, low blows, and guarding techniques, all without anything to react against other than brief instructions as to what the move was generally supposed to strike or guard against. Without a proper target, it took a while for Ember to get into a fluid rhythm, but at the same time, the lack of a target let her focus on the techniques without worrying about getting urges to kill.

"Concentrate on your weapon and on how you move," Jaheira said when they stopped for a light meal; by the standards of the halfling village, it was barely a snack. "It is a tool, and I want you to understand how to use it."

"But tools are normally used with whatever they act upon," Ember pointed out.

"Not so afraid anymore, child?" Jaheira said with a small grin. "We must also find out how to quell your bloodlust, if you still have it, and it is easier if I can do that and not have to teach you how to handle the weapon at the same time."

Ember nodded. "I understand," she said, and reached for another piece of chicken.

---

By evening, Jaheira felt satisfied with Ember's progress. "Tomorrow, we will spar," she told the girl as they parted for the evening; she'd hesitated only a moment before agreeing. Jaheira watched the girl leave before heading for the burrow she shared with Khalid. He was already inside, cleaning his sword. His face lit up as she entered.

"Hello, my love," he said with a broad smile. "H-how was practice?"

Jaheira hugged him, and sighed. "It could have been worse. She knows bloodlust, and was scared of fighting again; she told me her sword had wanted vengeance," she told his shoulder.

"A curse?" Khalid asked.

"A light one, perhaps. They destroyed the weapon, so we cannot inspect it. We did not spar today, but I think she will be ready tomorrow. If she still feels killing urges, I will try to teach her to control them."

"She d-does not seem the berserker type. She will be just fine, I am sure."

"You are probably right. But I do not think she has told me everything," Jaheira said. "There is something troubling about her, but I don't know what."

"I know that you will give her as much h-help as she will accept," Khalid said, and kissed her ear.

"Thank you, my love," Jaheira said quietly as they gave each other a prolonged embrace.

---

Ember changed her mind about going to bed, and walked to her meditation spot at the edge of the woods. The birds were quiet at this hour, and there was no wind to rustle the leaves and ripening apples. She sat down with crossed legs on a patch of long, dry grass, and closed her eyes.

Slowly, she settled into her meditative state. The sensations were markedly different from when she meditated in the morning; now, all the plants were entering their resting phase, and the creatures that settled when she prayed in the morning were just waking up.

She was not going to pray now.

As she became aware of the intricate patterns of energy around her, she did not direct her attention to her goddess or to the abundancy of life around her. Instead, she looked inwards, at the small knot of life that was herself. She focused closer and closer, studying the energy that ran through her and made her what she was...

Something was wrong.

There was some kind of flaw in the energy that was her. It was small and faint, and all but obscured by a vibrant nimbus, but it was definitely there. And it pervaded her entire being.

Ember exited the meditative trance with a shuddering gasp. She sat still for several minutes, holding her aching head and rocking slightly back and forth, before she returned to the burrow for the night.

#2 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:11 PM

It was hard to figure out exactly how Alora related to her uncle Gandolar. He was not her uncle in the true sense of the word, but merely an extended relative; Alora's father's cousin's sister's something. Gandolar and Alora had tried to explain, but nobody, not even Edwin, had been able to keep track of the genealogical twists.

Not even Edwin? :evil:

Here, I'll make it easy for you guys: Every halfling is related to every other halfling. Just pick a title like "cousin" or "uncle" and nine times out of ten it'll be true.

She doesn't like cleaving things.

(Actually, I would tend to think bludgeoning them would be just as bad. Then you have to hear the crunch as various bones are broken. Plus, it can be just as bloody, I'm sure.)

"I do not have time for such foolishness," Jaheira said. "Tell me the problem when you feel ready, and I will help you." The older druid turned and walked back into the village.

Tough love, Jaheira style!

"You'll never know till you try, Em," Imoen said, fixing her with a stern gaze. Ember felt like she was being scolded by an elderly tutor.

:evil: That's Immy, an old soul.

"Remember why you did this. You wanted to fix yourself, right? That means fixing all of yourself, including the fighting, and not running away from the difficult bits."

This girl's got a lotta sense, listen to her!

Yeah, shoo, so she and Eddie can get back to discussing magical theory. ;)

"The halflings use this field for weapons practice," Jaheira said, and handed Ember one of the staves.

Yeah, every few years or so, right? ;)

"First, you must hold the staff as a weapon, not as a walking aid," Jaheira said. Ember shifted her grip on the staff, holding it with both hands and with one end raised. Jaheira adjusted the position of Ember's hands. "Like this. It gives more control and better balance," she said, and grabbed the other staff in a similar fashion.

Remember, Ember (no rhyme intended), a wide grip and a wide stance makes for good balance and a clean hit!

'Course, don't put your hands too widely apart, because then you'll just be stretched out like a sweater on a clothesline... you get the idea.

"We are not going to fight each other today. I am going to show you the basic ways to hit with a staff, and you are going to practice them, but you will only strike at air. Are you ready?"

Shadow boxing! Only, er, with a staff. 'Stead of fists.

By evening, Jaheira felt satisfied with Ember's progress. "Tomorrow, we will spar," she told the girl as they parted for the evening; she'd hesitated only a moment before agreeing. Jaheira watched the girl leave before heading for the burrow she shared with Khalid. He was already inside, cleaning his sword. His face lit up as she entered.

D'aww. ;) I'm glad your Khalid, at least, gets to live.

"You are probably right. But I do not think she has told me everything," Jaheira said. "There is something troubling about her, but I don't know what."

I'm sure you'll find out soon enough.

"I know that you will give her as much h-help as she will accept," Khalid said, and kissed her ear.

"Thank you, my love," Jaheira said quietly as they gave each other a prolonged embrace.

fdkljghefkj so cute!

Ahem.

As she became aware of the intricate patterns of energy around her, she did not direct her attention to her goddess or to the abundancy of life around her. Instead, she looked inwards, at the small knot of life that was herself. She focused closer and closer, studying the energy that ran through her and made her what she was...

Something was wrong.

There was some kind of flaw in the energy that was her. It was small and faint, and all but obscured by a vibrant nimbus, but it was definitely there. And it pervaded her entire being.

Ember exited the meditative trance with a shuddering gasp. She sat still for several minutes, holding her aching head and rocking slightly back and forth, before she returned to the burrow for the night.

Poor Ember. :lol:

I really like how she can see the Taint, it's very druidy and cool. Makes sense that she could see some representation of it somehow.

#3 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:28 PM

So everybody is related to everybody, I thought that was bad...

"I can imagine the wizard used it as little as you do," Jaheira said. "I know you were a swordfighter, and scimitars would at least hold some familiarity for you. If you wish, I could teach you how to use those instead of the staff."

"No!" Ember said. "Er, I'd prefer just using a staff for now," she continued hurriedly.

Maybe not a good idea so early after losing Varscona.

"She already does, remember? She just doesn't know what." Imoen reached out and gave Ember's hand a gentle squeeze. "I know you're worried, but I'm sure you'll be able to fight properly again. You just have to tell yourself that."

Self motivation is half the journey!

"No!" Ember exclaimed. "I... there was a bandit camp. I slaughtered everyone in a tent. A score or so bandits, and I was laughing. It just felt easier and easier to kill, and then... it became difficult not to. That's why I got rid of my sword; it was enchanted and wanted to kill, so it only made things worse," she said miserably. "I didn't like it at all. I hated who I was becoming, and what I was doing. I kept having dreams about all the blood I couldn't wash off my hands. They've stopped now, though."

:evil:

Now you get hurt by the kung fu master! :evil:

Something was wrong.

Nice how she senses the taint. A bit shocking when she finds out what it is.

#4 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:43 PM

Ember sat with her back against a tree on the outskirts of Gullykin. The halflings had proven to be excellent hosts; they'd been treated almost like family when they arrived the previous evening. Mayor Gandolar had taken them to dinner in his own home, where they'd been fed meat and tubers and creamy sauces and apple preserves. After that, they'd been shown to a halfling house - or burrow, as it was called - where there were eight freshly made beds, long enough for even Minsc. Alora told them that this was the guest burrow.

Durkon Thundershield: "Never turn your back on a tree!! You don't know when they'll be sneaking up on you."

It's really very simple. He's her father's sister-in-law's maternal uncle's second cousin's daughter-in-law's brother. Now do you follow?

"Today I will teach you how to fight with that staff of yours. It is a good weapon, but it is wasted as a walking stick, and the way you carried it in the forest indicates a lack of familiarity with it. Have you ever tried fighting with a staff?"

I really think that Ember's happier not being able to use it, as that way she doesn't have to do any fighting. ;)

"Nothing's wrong!"

You sound very convincing when you say that. :evil:

In the meantime, I won't be teaching you, so work out the mess you've got your head in.

Ember nodded quietly.

"Go talk with her," Imoen said. "You don't have to tell her about everything, you know. But you do have to tell her about that stuff."

"You're right," Ember said after a long pause. She stood up and hugged Imoen. "Thanks, Immy. I'll go and try to explain to her now."

Imoen being clever is one thing, but Imoen being wise is always more of a surprise than it should be.

"I... I liked it too much. That's why I had to stop. There's a part of me that likes killing people, cutting them up and watching them bleed, and I'm afraid of feeling that way again the next time I have to fight something," she said, staring at the ground.

"And a scimitar being similar to a sword makes it even more frightening?" Jaheira asked.

"I think so."

;) They're just as dead if you beat them to death with a staff as if you cut them to pieces with a scimitar.

"Look me in the eyes, child," Jaheira said. Ember obeyed, and the half-elf studied her closely. "Do you like killing?" she asked.

Not any more. ;)

"Did you ever kill an innocent person?"

"No. I never attacked anyone without a reason."

Not quite the same thing.

"That is good," Jaheira said quietly. "Child, you are not the first person who has felt bloodlust, and you will not be the last. Many surrender to it and become berserkers; you have fought it. I am proud of you. However, you have not beaten it. Right now, you fear to take up arms against anything. That will not do. "

"I know."

At least she can face that much of it.

The two druids walked through the main cluster of burrows, not stopping until they stood in front of the winery. It was a round and clad with ivy, just like the burrows, but it was three times as large as any other building in the village. In addition to the production and storage of a myriad of wines, the building also functioned as an infirmary.

Well, if the largest building produces alcohol, we know the halflings have their priorities right.

The position of your hands will depend on what moves you're making. Yes, you will have a neutral position, but one thing a quarterstaff user will do is move their hands to different positions depending on how they are striking or blocking at any time. It's very similar to finger-play with a sword, but with full hand movements rather than just one or more fingers.

"Concentrate on your weapon and on how you move," Jaheira said when they stopped for a light meal; by the standards of the halfling village, it was barely a snack. "It is a tool, and I want you to understand how to use it."

Movement first, weapon second. The weapon is just an extension of your body, and it's body movement (especially foot movement) that makes the biggest difference. Even if Ember's previous experience taught her nothing else, she should be able to move correctly. The staff strokes will take a long time to be second nature, but the motion transfers more easily.

Jaheira hugged him, and sighed. "It could have been worse. She knows bloodlust, and was scared of fighting again; she told me her sword had wanted vengeance," she told his shoulder.

"A curse?" Khalid asked.

"A light one, perhaps. They destroyed the weapon, so we cannot inspect it. We did not spar today, but I think she will be ready tomorrow. If she still feels killing urges, I will try to teach her to control them."

Nice to see those two happy and in love. :lol:

Something was wrong.

#5 Laufey

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

Awww, I've always liked halflings. :evil:

"Child, I cannot help you if you do not tell me the truth," Jaheira said.

Ember stared at the ground, feeling her cheeks redden.

Jaheira may seem harsh to some here, but I think she is entirely right. You can't help somebody until they're ready to let themselves be helped.

Yes, that would make sense, I agree.

Rini: I'm afraid this won't be the end of it, sis. :evil:

The rest of the day was spent practicing blows against non-existant foes. Jaheira showed Ember high strikes, low blows, and guarding techniques, all without anything to react against other than brief instructions as to what the move was generally supposed to strike or guard against. Without a proper target, it took a while for Ember to get into a fluid rhythm, but at the same time, the lack of a target let her focus on the techniques without worrying about getting urges to kill.

I liked this scene, it seems Jaheira will make a good teacher for Ember.

Oh, interesting! Wonder how much she will figure out...
Rogues do it from behind.

#6 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:38 PM

Not even Edwin? :evil:

Nope, not even Edwin.

Edwin: I don't want to talk about it!

She doesn't like cleaving things.

In a nutshell.

(Actually, I would tend to think bludgeoning them would be just as bad. Then you have to hear the crunch as various bones are broken. Plus, it can be just as bloody, I'm sure.)

Well, she hasn't come to associate staves with fountains of gushing blood yet.

Tough love, Jaheira style!

Just the way we like her, eh? ;)

:evil: That's Immy, an old soul.

Yeah. Ember's supposed to be wiser, but sometimes Immy will come along and knock her socks off ;)

This girl's got a lotta sense, listen to her!

Ember: I do, I do.

Yeah, shoo, so she and Eddie can get back to discussing magical theory. ;)

Imoen: Would you have guessed he knows more about the lowly divination spells than he'll ever admit in public?

Yeah, every few years or so, right? :)

:D

Remember, Ember (no rhyme intended), a wide grip and a wide stance makes for good balance and a clean hit!

'Course, don't put your hands too widely apart, because then you'll just be stretched out like a sweater on a clothesline... you get the idea.

:lol:

Shadow boxing! Only, er, with a staff. 'Stead of fists.

Exactly.

D'aww. :) I'm glad your Khalid, at least, gets to live.

Yes, he deserves that ;)

I'm sure you'll find out soon enough.

Maybe.

fdkljghefkj so cute!

Aren't they? ;)

Ahem.

:(

Something was wrong.

Poor Ember. ;)

At least she doesn't have to carry the burden of actually knowing what the problem is as long as oh, most of the Attic Bhaalspawn I've seen so far ;)

I really like how she can see the Taint, it's very druidy and cool. Makes sense that she could see some representation of it somehow.

Had to tone it down from how I originally wrote it; I wouldn't want the newbie to see things too clearly on the first try :(

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

So everybody is related to everybody, I thought that was bad...

Well, everybody really is related to everybody. These halflings just keep better track of their 1000 or so closest relatives than most people do :lol:

Maybe not a good idea so early after losing Varscona.

She's just scared, is all.

Now you get hurt by the kung fu master! :evil:

:evil: *imagines Jaheira calling Ember a grasshopper*

Nice how she senses the taint. A bit shocking when she finds out what it is.

It'll still be quite a surprise, but she won't be as shocked as certain of my other Bhaalspawn.

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:51 PM

Durkon Thundershield: "Never turn your back on a tree!! You don't know when they'll be sneaking up on you."

Yay, another OotS fan!

It's really very simple. He's her father's sister-in-law's maternal uncle's second cousin's daughter-in-law's brother. Now do you follow?

Edwin: No. (After all, my brain melted half an hour ago...)

I really think that Ember's happier not being able to use it, as that way she doesn't have to do any fighting. ;)

'Happier' isn't the word I'd use.

"Nothing's wrong!"

You sound very convincing when you say that. :evil:

I just hope she won't decide to be a wimp very often, because she seems completely incapable of getting away with it :lol:

In the meantime, I won't be teaching you, so work out the mess you've got your head in.

My Jaheira won't tolerate nonsense like this.

Imoen being clever is one thing, but Imoen being wise is always more of a surprise than it should be.

Probably because she's so often seen as merely the pink goofball.

"I think so."

;) They're just as dead if you beat them to death with a staff as if you cut them to pieces with a scimitar.

Irrational fears are irrational precisely because you can't reason with them.

"I know."

At least she can face that much of it.

Well, she has Jaheira to force her to look her issues in the eye and deal with them, now ;)

The position of your hands will depend on what moves you're making. Yes, you will have a neutral position, but one thing a quarterstaff user will do is move their hands to different positions depending on how they are striking or blocking at any time. It's very similar to finger-play with a sword, but with full hand movements rather than just one or more fingers.

Baby steps; Jaheira showed her how to do that an hour or so later ;)

Movement first, weapon second. The weapon is just an extension of your body, and it's body movement (especially foot movement) that makes the biggest difference. Even if Ember's previous experience taught her nothing else, she should be able to move correctly. The staff strokes will take a long time to be second nature, but the motion transfers more easily.

Which is pretty much what Jaheira meant ;) She's also encouraging her to focus what she's doing rather than what she's hitting as part of the bloodlust/fear management.

Nice to see those two happy and in love. ;)

I'm going to keep them that way ;)

It could have been worse; she didn't see too much.

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

Awww, I've always liked halflings. :evil:

I'd write more about them if only I could find a reason to :evil: (I had the most adorable pie eating halfling paladin in everquest once upon a time :lol: )

Jaheira may seem harsh to some here, but I think she is entirely right. You can't help somebody until they're ready to let themselves be helped.

My Jaheira is definitely a proponent of the school of tough love. And not listening to feeble excuses.

Yes, that would make sense, I agree.

Inasmuch as this particular fear of Ember's makes sense, yes. She'll get around to scimitars eventually, for now, Jaheira's task will be to make her comfortable around other weapons.

Rini: I'm afraid this won't be the end of it, sis. ;)

Ember: I kind of know ;)

I liked this scene, it seems Jaheira will make a good teacher for Ember.

Yeah, she's pretty much just what Ember needed in order to get back in the combat saddle ;)

Oh, interesting! Wonder how much she will figure out...

Not everything. I haven't decided how much she'll guess, but she won't actually know until she sees Gorion's letter.

#10 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

Handy to have -- I can't imagine Minsc, especially, on a halfling sized bed ;)

;)

"You're being buffle headed," Imoen said when Ember finished. The two girls were sitting on their newly-made beds; scurrying halfling women had already replaced the sheets they'd slept in with fresh, crisp linens.

Cor... they're eager! Send them round to my house next? ;)

Jaheira understands a lot.

Scary Im! :lol:

Awwww ;)

;)

"I think so."

That'd make sense. A nice staff or club would probably be different enough to take away some of the issues she's trying to fight internally.

Nope ;)

Awwww!

Something was wrong.

I can imagine how shocking that must be to find, expecially when you're still getting to grips with all the stuff you're learning. And not knowing exactly what it is or why it's there must be difficult -- though when she finds out the truth, she might wish she was still blissfully ignorant of her heritage.

#11 Guest_sparrow_*

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:01 AM

Aww, halflings are so lovely. Imagine how many beds they would need to push together for Minsc, otherwise. ;)

Alora's father's cousin's sister's something. Gandolar and Alora had tried to explain, but nobody, not even Edwin, had been able to keep track of the genealogical twists.

I'm surprised Edwin admitted it :evil:;)

Wise, though a tad harsh - the Jaheira way! :lol:

I always thought Imoen was more wiser than she looks and acts, myself. Maybe part of it's because she did grow up in a monastary, around lots of adults...and adventuring makes you grow up fast too...might be stating the obvious so I'll stop. ;)

Gah, makes sense. ;)

The beginnings of a very sweet Khalid and Jaheira extract. Though, when are they not sweet? :evil:

Something was wrong.

;) You describe something pretty abstract and difficult to do (well I couldn't do it) really well. Wonder just how much she will gain from this way of exploration, a neat idea.

#12 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:06 AM

Halflings make the best hosts, indeed. Ember will probably appreciate it even more after staying a bit in Suldanessellar and being treated like crap by the elves.

Better not ask about that – I think they could ramble on about it for hours, just like the gnomes do. :lol:

Bah, let’s get down to the scimitars, already, they are the real deal! ;)

There’s not much else she could do, really. Pestering Ember about the problem further would just not be the Jaheira way.

I wonder if she’ll end up telling Jaheira about her heritage. She probably will come to trust her enough as her mentor.

Well, Jaheira is no fool, though. If Ember is only partly truthful with her, she could easily suspect something and start to dig deeper.

"Yes, child?" Jaheira said without turning around.

Hmm, might be just me, but I think you’re having her go too heavy on the ‘child’ bit. I cannot see why she would not use Ember’s name now and then. :evil:

Aww, she is sweet in her own charmingly rough kind of way. ;)

It probably doesn’t see much use. ;)

Jaheira is feeling merciful and won’t pummel you today, Ember. ;)

The rest of the day was spent practicing blows against non-existant foes. Jaheira showed Ember high strikes, low blows…

Is that the technique where you use the staff to crush a man’s testicles?

Theo: Oy, I’ve seen Jaheira use that one plenty of times… very effective. She’s ruined many families that way. :evil:

"Not so afraid anymore, child?" Jaheira said with a small grin. "We must also find out how to quell your bloodlust, if you still have it, and it is easier if I can do that and not have to teach you how to handle the weapon at the same time."

Ah, but if you want to help her with that, then you probably must know exactly what she is facing.

Like I said… Jaheira = lots of wisdom and perception.

Aww, they are very cute together. I think it would make sense to give them more cameos in BG2, because I think Jaheira would not want to let Ember out of her sights for too long. The Harpers watching over the Bhaalspawn is a good motivation to stay close already, but now she’s also Ember’s mentor and would feel in a way responsible for her.

Very spiritual part, this – well done! ;)

#13 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:50 AM

I like your Jaheira, she seems... right. And at the same time, seen from a different side than usual. So, different but still right.

#14 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:54 AM

Ember will probably appreciate it even more after staying a bit in Suldanessellar and being treated like crap by the elves.

Would you care to elaborate on that point? I never came out with such an interpretation from the game, and though I've heard people mention the elves' attitude, it remains unclear to me what this idea is based on. (At least aside from one interpretation of dialogue which I found bizarre.)

#15 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:17 AM

Ember will probably appreciate it even more after staying a bit in Suldanessellar and being treated like crap by the elves.

Would you care to elaborate on that point?

Nah, quite frankly, I don't feel up for a discussion. It's nothing personal, by the way - I just feel sick of the thought of having to dissect the game content and dialogue for the umpteenth time. :twisted:

#16 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:44 PM

Mayor Gandolar had taken them to dinner in his own home, where they'd been fed meat and tubers and creamy sauces and apple preserves.

Steak? Potatoes? Apple pie?

The halflings are a people I could really learn to like.

And now I'm hungry. :twisted:

It was hard to figure out exactly how Alora related to her uncle Gandolar. He was not her uncle in the true sense of the word, but merely an extended relative; Alora's father's cousin's sister's something.

Oh yeah. I know -that- feeling. I grew up being told everyone was my aunt and uncle. And then, years later, when friends and stuff would ask me how many actually aunts, uncles and cousins I had, I couldn't tell them for sure since I didn't know who was actually related to me and who wasn't. :roll:

Harlequin: "Usually, we don't have to play those kinds of games with her. She's pretty good at figuring out what's wrong."

Raven: "Well, that's usually because what's wrong with us involves lots of blood and quite possibly severed limbs."

Harlequin: "This -is- true."

Awwwww... you gotta love the big J. :roll:

Raven: (Sighs)

Harlequin: (Sighs)

Vixen: (Sighs)

(They all miss him. :shock: )

That's an interesting idea... you'd think that the more meditative types, the ones who are in tune with the divine in whatever form would be... well... very shaken by the fact that they could tell they themselves were impure.

A druid trying to meditate and realizing there's something... wrong... with her. A paladin resting after a battle, tending to his wounds and just knowing, somehow that something isn't quite right with him, either. It's a little different I imagine if you're just a fighter or whatever. But as someone in tune with nature or the divine... it'd be hard not to notice the taint.

I feel for those Spawn. It only makes their struggles harder, I think. Faith may even work against them. They're led to believe something and believe in it for so long and so strongly, only to end up judging themselves unworthy of their own religion or what-have-you? That's... that's going to be excruciatingly painful.

#17 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:13 PM

Handy to have -- I can't imagine Minsc, especially, on a halfling sized bed :o

I can imagine him using it as a chair. And breaking it.

And I see that I originally intended for Khalid and Jaheira to share this burrow with them, and forgot to alter it when I put them elsewhere. Oh well, I guess this particular guest house can just randomly have two beds too many :D

:roll:

If they're going to be hobbits, they're going to BE hobbits! :D

Cor... they're eager! Send them round to my house next? :lol:

Sorry, they're needed in mine :shock:

Jaheira understands a lot.

Yes, if given the chance to.

Scary Im! :roll:

Well, there are limits to how scary a chirpy waif of a girl can be :D

Awwww :D

My Immy is precious :lol:

:!:

She shouldn't feel that way again, at least (then again, who knows what I'll do with her?)

"I think so."

That'd make sense. A nice staff or club would probably be different enough to take away some of the issues she's trying to fight internally.

Yep, and she does need to deal with them. As deities have remarked upon, she is not a pacifist at heart, and the only reason she's acting like one lately is that she's afraid of herself. No wonder Eldath couldn't take her.

Awwww!

I like cuddly married couples. I'm half of one, myself :D

Something was wrong.

:twisted:

Don't tell her yet, but she's ...a Bhaalspawn!

I can imagine how shocking that must be to find, expecially when you're still getting to grips with all the stuff you're learning. And not knowing exactly what it is or why it's there must be difficult -- though when she finds out the truth, she might wish she was still blissfully ignorant of her heritage.

I have some ideas for how I'll do that revelation. And this flaw isn't a complete surprise to her, after her dreams, gifts, and cryptic Elminster encounters. She has no idea of the scale, of course.

#18 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:21 PM

Alora's father's cousin's sister's something. Gandolar and Alora had tried to explain, but nobody, not even Edwin, had been able to keep track of the genealogical twists.

I'm surprised Edwin admitted it :shock::D

Well, he only did so under duress :D

Wise, though a tad harsh - the Jaheira way! :roll:

I always thought Imoen was more wiser than she looks and acts, myself. Maybe part of it's because she did grow up in a monastary, around lots of adults...and adventuring makes you grow up fast too...might be stating the obvious so I'll stop. :lol:

'sokay :lol:

The beginnings of a very sweet Khalid and Jaheira extract. Though, when are they not sweet? :roll:

Good question :!:

:D You describe something pretty abstract and difficult to do (well I couldn't do it) really well. Wonder just how much she will gain from this way of exploration, a neat idea.

Thanks! And to be honest, I'm not entirely sure how much she'll learn. The next chapters are not cooperating with me, so.. :o

#19 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:36 PM

[quote][quote]Ember sat with her back against a tree on the outskirts of Gullykin. The halflings had proven to be excellent hosts; they'd been treated almost like family when they arrived the previous evening. Mayor Gandolar had taken them to dinner in his own home, where they'd been fed meat and tubers and creamy sauces and apple preserves. After that, they'd been shown to a halfling house - or burrow, as it was called - where there were eight freshly made beds, long enough for even Minsc. Alora told them that this was the guest burrow.[/quote]

Halflings make the best hosts, indeed. Ember will probably appreciate it even more after staying a bit in Suldanessellar and being treated like crap by the elves.
[/quote]

Not sure how I'll do my Suldanessellar yet. I do know that Ellesime will be somewhat out of touch with how the world works, though.

[quote]
[quote]It was hard to figure out exactly how Alora related to her uncle Gandolar. He was not her uncle in the true sense of the word, but merely an extended relative; Alora's father's cousin's sister's something. Gandolar and Alora had tried to explain, but nobody, not even Edwin, had been able to keep track of the genealogical twists.[/quote]

Better not ask about that – I think they could ramble on about it for hours, just like the gnomes do. :roll:
[/quote]

They most definitely could!

Edwin: (My brain.... my poor brain...)

[quote]
[quote]"Today I will teach you how to fight with that staff of yours. It is a good weapon, but it is wasted as a walking stick, and the way you carried it in the forest indicates a lack of familiarity with it. Have you ever tried fighting with a staff?"[/quote]

Bah, let’s get down to the scimitars, already, they are the real deal! :lol:
[/quote]

Oh hush :lol:

[quote]
[quote]"I do not have time for such foolishness," Jaheira said. "Tell me the problem when you feel ready, and I will help you." The older druid turned and walked back into the village.[/quote]

There’s not much else she could do, really. Pestering Ember about the problem further would just not be the Jaheira way.
[/quote]

Yep. I do know her that well, even though I only let her tag along with my not-so-main Bhaalspawns :!: (You know, the ones that aren't druids :D )

[quote]
[quote]"She already does, remember? She just doesn't know what." Imoen reached out and gave Ember's hand a gentle squeeze. "I know you're worried, but I'm sure you'll be able to fight properly again. You just have to tell yourself that."[/quote]

I wonder if she’ll end up telling Jaheira about her heritage. She probably will come to trust her enough as her mentor.
[/quote]

We'll see.

[quote]
[quote]"Go talk with her," Imoen said. "You don't have to tell her about everything, you know. But you do have to tell her about that stuff."
[/quote]

Well, Jaheira is no fool, though. If Ember is only partly truthful with her, she could easily suspect something and start to dig deeper.
[/quote]

Yep.

[quote]
[quote]"Yes, child?" Jaheira said without turning around.

[/quote]

Hmm, might be just me, but I think you’re having her go too heavy on the ‘child’ bit. I cannot see why she would not use Ember’s name now and then. :shock:
[/quote]

Heh, you're right, there are a bit too many children in those two lines :D

[quote]
[quote]"That is good," Jaheira said quietly. "Child, you are not the first person who has felt bloodlust, and you will not be the last. Many surrender to it and become berserkers; you have fought it. I am proud of you. However, you have not beaten it. Right now, you fear to take up arms against anything. That will not do. "[/quote]

Aww, she is sweet in her own charmingly rough kind of way. :D
[/quote]

And you're not the slightest bit biased :lol:

[quote]
[quote]"The halflings use this field for weapons practice," Jaheira said, and handed Ember one of the staves.[/quote]

It probably doesn’t see much use. :o
[/quote]

Sheesh, why is everyone insinuating that field is only there for show? :D

[quote]
[quote]"We are not going to fight each other today. I am going to show you the basic ways to hit with a staff, and you are going to practice them, but you will only strike at air. Are you ready?"[/quote]

Jaheira is feeling merciful and won’t pummel you today, Ember. :D
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote]
[quote]The rest of the day was spent practicing blows against non-existant foes. Jaheira showed Ember high strikes, low blows…[/quote]

Is that the technique where you use the staff to crush a man’s testicles?
[/quote]

It could be...

[quote]
Theo: Oy, I’ve seen Jaheira use that one plenty of times… very effective. She’s ruined many families that way. :roll:
[/quote]

[quote]
[quote]"Not so afraid anymore, child?" Jaheira said with a small grin. "We must also find out how to quell your bloodlust, if you still have it, and it is easier if I can do that and not have to teach you how to handle the weapon at the same time."[/quote]

Ah, but if you want to help her with that, then you probably must know exactly what she is facing.
[/quote]

Right now, she has no reason to believe there are evil deities involved.

[quote]
[quote]"She d-does not seem the berserker type. She will be just fine, I am sure."

[/quote]

Like I said… Jaheira = lots of wisdom and perception.
[/quote]

Yep :D

[quote]
[quote]"I know that you will give her as much h-help as she will accept," Khalid said, and kissed her ear.

[quote]"Thank you, my love," Jaheira said quietly as they gave each other a prolonged embrace.[/quote]

Aww, they are very cute together. I think it would make sense to give them more cameos in BG2, because I think Jaheira would not want to let Ember out of her sights for too long. The Harpers watching over the Bhaalspawn is a good motivation to stay close already, but now she’s also Ember’s mentor and would feel in a way responsible for her.
[/quote]

They'll be around when they can. My Khalid and Jaheira will be more investigative than the ones that go with the party; they'll search for information rather than fight the wars.

I may try to work in aspects of the SoA Harper plots.

[quote]
[quote]There was some kind of flaw in the energy that was her. It was small and faint, and all but obscured by a vibrant nimbus, but it was definitely there. And it pervaded her entire being.

Ember exited the meditative trance with a shuddering gasp. She sat still for several minutes, holding her aching head and rocking slightly back and forth, before she returned to the burrow for the night.[/quote]

Very spiritual part, this – well done! :D[/quote]

Thank you :D It was difficult to word it right when I wrote it, but I was satisfied with the description I ended up with.

#20 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:37 PM

I like your Jaheira, she seems... right. And at the same time, seen from a different side than usual. So, different but still right.

I'm glad you like her :twisted:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com